Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [EN] Farewell to Kamakura: Little Big Tengu

US Friend Code

[EN] Farewell to Kamakura: Little Big Tengu

This event runs from January 20 to February 2. It's a mission-based event with a gimmick where little mini mascot Servants can provide buffs in battle.

New Servants:
    Spoiler:
    4* welfare Assassin, Kiichi Hogen:

5* limited Avenger, Taira-no-Kagekiyo:

Strengthening quests:
    Spoiler:

All-in-one image guide:
    Spoiler:
    Last edited by Reign; January 19th, 2023 at 09:58 AM.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Wow, that banner is pretty well made. GJ NA.

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle Castellan's Avatar
    "Onmyoji priest" is a curious way to refer to them, at least from my understanding they didn't really fulfill a religious function so much as a ceremonial one. I was assuming that in Douman's case they were translating his whole "humble (Buddhist) priest and onmyoji" shtick as "onmyoji priest" but now they're doing it here with Kiichi as well.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six OnesFleetingGlory's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Should be "Onmyodo priest" imo.

I feel like it should just be "onmyoji" honestly.

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle Gehennahem's Avatar
    Yeah, I'm just gonna just blow through enough SQ to get Taira at all or atleast her at NP2.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Castellan View Post
    I feel like it should just be "onmyoji" honestly.
    Completely different occupation. Onmyouji is a member of the Bureau of Onmyou, an actual government body of the Heian administration, where the members were dedicated to use their mystical knowledge of laws of the universe in service of the Emperor, the governors, and the nobility. Abe no Seimei was an onmyouji. Ashiya Douman and Kiichi Hougen were not.

Onmyou priests, onmyou monks, or however you want to call them, were more like folk healers. People with knowledge of onmyoudou but completely unrelated to the government, and 99% of the time, distant from the capital. They were cases like Kiichi Hougen, who was a stationary hermit in Mt. Kurama attending the needs of whoever climbed his mountain to ask; or Ashiya Douman, a wandering monk from Harima who travelled the faraway southern lands the Heian administration couldn't give less of a shit about, helping every person in need he would find along his way.

Is Kiichi worth raising at all or should I just conserve my resources? She's cute but not really the kind of Servant I'd raise no matter what.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six OnesFleetingGlory's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    She's like a weaker Summer Ushi. And potentially missable.

Blog Entries
    What? She's a much better farmer than Summer Ushi.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    She's better than Swimsuit Ushi period lol.

- - - Updated - - -

If you need a Quick farmer/AOE Assassin then Kiichi's great. Also she's hot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    Completely different occupation. Onmyouji is a member of the Bureau of Onmyou, an actual government body of the Heian administration, where the members were dedicated to use their mystical knowledge of laws of the universe in service of the Emperor, the governors, and the nobility. Abe no Seimei was an onmyouji. Ashiya Douman and Kiichi Hougen were not.

Onmyou priests, onmyou monks, or however you want to call them, were more like folk healers. People with knowledge of onmyoudou but completely unrelated to the government, and 99% of the time, distant from the capital. They were cases like Kiichi Hougen, who was a stationary hermit in Mt. Kurama attending the needs of whoever climbed his mountain to ask; or Ashiya Douman, a wandering monk from Harima who travelled the faraway southern lands the Heian administration couldn't give less of a shit about, helping every person in need he would find along his way.
    Huh. At least from what I'd read, the Heian and Kamakura Periods were the point where the Bureau had enough influence to essentially monopolize the use of onmyodo, and it's not really until the Bureau began to decline with the rest of the central government in the Muromachi Period that you get that kind of "folk onmyoji." And the one version of the story I know where it identifies Kiichi Hogen rather than Sojobo, he's living in Heian-kyo rather than Kamakura (but that's in the Gikeiki and I know that has a million offshoots.) Does the Japanese translation of Douman's intro spiel use a different word for "onmyoji" than is used for the members of the Bureau of Yin and Yang in Heian-kyo?
    Last edited by Castellan; January 20th, 2023 at 08:39 AM.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I don't think there's any version where Kiichi/Soujoubou lives in Kamakura. He's always in Mt. Kurama, which while right next to the capital, is not within the urban perimeter. The event is set in Kamakura because that's the site of Yoshitsune's most important battle.

In Douman's FGO profile, he's called an onmyou priest only in the intro portion, as it should because Douman was always a peasant unaffiliated with the government, but the rest of his profile uses just "onmyouji" for simplicity's sake.

In the Heian chapter, living Douman's visible discomfort in the court is because Seimei called a complete outsider to replace him in his absence and I can't imagine the people of the court being too fond of his presence there.

Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post

If you need a Quick farmer/AOE Assassin then Kiichi's great. Also she's hot.
    Oh awesome, I've been looking for a good Assassin. There's been a couple I could've rolled for, but I was always saving for someone else.

I don't think there's any version where Kiichi/Soujoubou lives in Kamakura. He's always in Mt. Kurama, which while right next to the capital, is not within the urban perimeter. The event is set in Kamakura because that's the site of Yoshitsune's most important battle.
    Right, that was me getting the two mixed up, I did mean Kurama.

And in the Gikeiki he's located 'in the capital,' specifically Ichijo Horikawa, not on Mt. Kurama. I've got the book here next to me.

(And just because I don't know if it's coming across super well, I'm not trying to argue anything here - I'm always interested in learning more Onmyodo Stuff and there's only so many sources in English to go around.)
    Last edited by Castellan; January 20th, 2023 at 09:38 AM.

US Friend Code
    Since Muramasa just came out it feels like a missed opportunity to not include him and Emiya in the younger/older Servant pairs in this event.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Castellan View Post
    And in the Gikeiki he's located 'in the capital,' specifically Ichijo Horikawa
    Oh yeah, I could find mention of that in the Nihon Kokugo Daijiten. But that entry still calls him an onmyou monk, so I guess it was possible to be one in the capital without government affiliation.

Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    Oh yeah, I could find mention of that in the Nihon Kokugo Daijiten. But that entry still calls him an onmyou monk, so I guess it was possible to be one in the capital without government affiliation.
    Helen McCullough, the translator, makes mention of the fact that the title "Hogen" suggests he may have also been an ordained Buddhist monk since it specifically refers to a priest rank, but it might be she's getting tripped up by the distinction between "professional Bureau onmyoji" and "folk onmyoji" as well.

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I'm kind of sad that I can never encourage Eli.

Also from the fact that Eli Japan is still unsummonable.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Formless Creature View Post
    Oh awesome, I've been looking for a good Assassin. There's been a couple I could've rolled for, but I was always saving for someone else.
    She's pretty much the best looper aside from Summer Valks, and a fairly usable AoE DPS in a class that has very few.

If you aren't planning on rolling for multiple copies of one of the AoE limiteds, she'll serve you pretty well.