• Traum

2 2.86%
  • Nahui Mictlan

23 32.86%
  • Others

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Execution of the Lostbelts (Possible JP Spoilers)

I would say Olympus(purposely ignoring the latter two because I haven't read them in full yet and I will be far far away from this commuity when seven comes around) it brought the hype then some even till today I'm just discovering the most amazing things within the story and I've read at least 5 times. About it's a story that the part 5.1 I like most broken gods and humans a world that I have been around for way too long and is dying inside.

Zeus is broken Musashi is broken Wodime's broken both sets of twins are broken Ritsuka broken but the question all lies in the way they deal with said sense of brokeness. It does this while also hinting a future plot lines amazingly. I think the only bad part is how basic Demeter is like yeah she's in theme with the broken gods and is suppose to represent essentially the introduction to them but geez they went into that hard as crap.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Kirishima's Avatar
    I think Atlantis and Olympus had amazing premises but some things fell short on execution. I am going to suck Nasu's dick right now but Higashide (much less so) and Sakurai just don't expand and give things time to shine like Nasu does. Hell the best Olympus moments were by him. Why the fuck does Sakurai snort cocaine and just deliver speedruns bullet points in her chapters in the quickest way possible is beyond me. I wanted the Olympian boss fights to be on a much grander scale.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ultimum spes View Post
    I will be far far away from this commuity when seven comes around
    Fascinating prophecy. What else do you know that the future holds?

Quote Originally Posted by Kirishima View Post
    I think Atlantis and Olympus had amazing premises but some things fell short on execution. I am going to suck Nasu's dick right now but Higashide (much less so) and Sakurai just don't expand and give things time to shine like Nasu does. Hell the best Olympus moments were by him. Why the fuck does Sakurai snort cocaine and just deliver speedruns bullet points in her chapters in the quickest way possible is beyond me. I wanted the Olympian boss fights to be on a much grander scale.
    The cocaine part made me choke lmao.

But after trying to read Sharnoth I've realized Sakurai just like the 'monster-of-the-week' thing. Most of her stuff feels like I'm watching one of those big recaps of Saint Seiya where they had to shorten even more the characters climbing stairs and fighting bosses in turns.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenshi View Post

But after trying to read Sharnoth I've realized Sakurai just like the 'monster-of-the-week' thing. Most of her stuff feels like I'm watching one of those big recaps of Saint Seiya where they had to shorten even more the characters climbing stairs and fighting bosses in turns.
    Sharnoth's female MC was very attractive though. As was Sakurai's version of Tesla for the Steampunk series.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenshi View Post

Even so, her chapters feel like she either didn't want to bother with a long script, was really afraid of missing deadlines, or something to the effect. Or maybe she really just likes resolving things way too quickly before they even settle and have impact, I guess.

Yeah I wasn't advocating for her or anything, her Post-Arc 1 chapters are just unjustifiably impactless most of the time. I actually think Olympus might be my least favorite chapter in the whole game. Not trying to define an author by few works, but even in Sharnoth where you've actually whole chapters for a single thing to happen it still falls flat when it comes to mostly scale, just didn't hit for me.

Quote Originally Posted by rxrx View Post
    Sharnoth's female MC was very attractive though. As was Sakurai's version of Tesla for the Steampunk series.
    I still have to read her other stuffs, but Mary was very nice yeah. Though I still have to cope with her yankee Sherlock.

Sakurai is frustrating because IMO she never has bad concepts, bad characters, bad settings, it's all really good conceptually. Then her execution feels like she made a list of bullet points of things that needed to happen and speedran her writing of those bullet points without a care in the world. Her characters in a vacuum are good characters too.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    I've been waiting years for Sona-Nyl to be fully translated because of all Sakurai's works that's the one that appeals to me the most on an aesthetic level but it's been in editing limbo for like....over a year now. Chop chop manga gamer, get it out already

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yeah as for thoughts on Sakurai's writing, I will agree with the criticism that she seems to go through her more interesting bits while meandering on stuff that don't really matter. I was pretty disappointed when the grail war in Heian-Kyo was officially cancelled because I found it much more fun to read than the boss rush.

I really like her prose though. Not sure why but she's the author who has been the best at making me feel emotional. I also like her characters a fair bit.

- - - Updated - - -

The writer I have a bond to pick with is Meteo

Quote Originally Posted by Kirishima View Post
    It's funny that you said that cause in summer 7 that had very meta commentray which equate nasu saying slash and burn all her ideas cause you won't have the time to write them. But tbh what change my view on sakurai was that I just... you know stop looking at her what she did wrong but and the defualt opinion the commuity has of her(that she's a self induglant hack) but also look at what she does right and not like give her a bone more like go into really into a real deep dive on what she did well like with nasu it really esay to understand what he's doing because of the interviews and trademark things he chosse to do but for Higa and espeically Sakurai? Not much, and I only came to the point where I liked what she did because, while I'm not denying that she has problems, no one ever talks about her strength in detail(I think besides Comun). I had a lot of fun figuring out what she did well overall, and some of what I learned led me to realize that some of the problems she was having were actually designed to add interest to the narrative. I just wanted to come to understand why nasu keeps her around beyond the defualt flaker opinion that the commuity gives, what does he know and thing that works that we don't. I only gotten this desire due to Heian Kyo having a narrator who was basically Sakurai's SI at the point where she staright tells whats the message behind most concpets she has.

Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    Fascinating prophecy. What else do you know that the future holds?
    Oh shoot. Uhhh....

That people will die when they are killed?
    Last edited by ultimum spes; March 25th, 2023 at 03:43 PM.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Neither Higashide or Sakurai are that good. They have their moments, but FGO's story lives and dies with Nasu's involvement.

See that's the type of thinking I want to stray away from or well I do agree with it somewhat that nasu is the best writier for the work he has made( like I stated I haven't read 6 or 7 yet so this is just my current opinon) but that doesn't mean I am farmilar enough with Higa and Sakurai as I am with nasu and I could be absolutely be missing something that other people or nasu himself have found and I was plesantly surpised on what I found.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    IMO it's very clear to see what Nasu found in them that keeps them in FGO. He founds that they're cool friends who are able to put out content frequently and consistently, a trait many of his other cool writer friends lack. (He also thinks they're good writers, of course.)
    As a reader though, I've yet to read a great type-moon light novel and their participation in FGO hasn't impressed me either, so it's hard to believe there's some hidden quality I've been missing. They have their strengths but they simply haven't managed to measure up to Nasu (I think Sakurai is great at conceptualizing characters and has some of the most unique set-ups in the game, while Higashide is actually great at managing large casts of characters — even if that was his downfall in Apocrypha).

That is fair, not to suggest that these writers are without fault. I just don't want to default back to the same old opinions the larger community has because I never fully felt the same way for whatever reason when it comes to the worst of FGO. Not to add that some of the stories have been wildly exaggerated recently. So I decided to put more effort into my opinion of late, which led me to discover a number of interesting things. The flaws, for the most part, remain, but I ended up enjoying the positive a lot more in my second look. It just comes down to me stop thinking of what could've been and me appericate what it has and it's not that bad.
    Last edited by ultimum spes; March 25th, 2023 at 08:23 PM.

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One asterism42's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm generally pretty wary of criticism of Sakurai due to the fandom as a whole's habit of treating her like a monster who's responsible for everything bad ever in the story. And I'm cynical enough to suspect that it's at least in part because she's a woman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandstorm77 View Post
    He's just putting the bone of his sword into other people until it explodes and lets out parts of him inside them.
    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerEmiya View Post
    Genderswaps are terrible, but I think I and other people would hate them less if Fate didn't keep ignoring actual heroines throughout history and folklore. Like, why bother turning Francis Drake into a woman when Ching Shih and Grace O'Malley exist?
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    Fate Zero is just Fate Stay Night for people who think Shirou is too girly
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    I think Alex IV can eat Goku.

Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    I'm generally pretty wary of criticism of Sakurai due to the fandom as a whole's habit of treating her like a monster who's responsible for everything bad ever in the story. And I'm cynical enough to suspect that it's at least in part because she's a woman.
    Considering how many of people's criticisms of her end up derailing into her being some sort of office whore who only still has a job because she sleeps with nasu and takeuchi...yeah, there's probably some merit to that cynicism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Ugh cokesakto no no no
    Quote Originally Posted by Neir View Post
    your ability to be wrong about literally everything you post is truly astounding. Even a broken clock is right twice a day, but you haven't been right once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kateikyo View Post
    The gay pics were the most entertaining thing going on in this discussion.

I had at least one conversation with someone who dubbed her a cocubine, which is one far too many.

But, at the end of the day, all I need to say is. I get nasu. I understand what he wants to do and what he's all about because of Knk and all of the interviews I've seen with him and I jibe with him.

I originally hardly got Higa and even less Sakurai, due to consequently my first introduction to her was spetem, which wasn't at her best or what conceptualizes what she's all about, and I've realized that I need to put in more effort with these two because people aren't exactly singing her praises all around. I never had my own personal jounery with these two into discover there works so I feel like I need go out of my way to have concrte opinion which I feel like I do now and came to understanding that Sakurai is like one of the worst writers for FGO players cause she's someone who thrives in subtext and letting the reader come to there own conculsion what she isn't really good or cares(I'm not sure tbh) is sufrace level actions she almost rarely attemps to have more dynamic plans and plots and chosses to be very straightfoward which actually was a good thing in Heian with HGW had basically no outlandish twist outside the ones already stated but this also inculding an obvious lack of care of power or in case of Tai and Douman(and kind of with Surtr) she straights up mocks them for it by turning them into manfailures. In sense she and Higa are like anthesis to each other which almost make sense with how lostbelt 1 turn out.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pinetree View Post
    Neither Higashide or Sakurai are that good. They have their moments, but FGO's story lives and dies with Nasu's involvement.
    They are better when not doing TM stuff imo.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    Nah, it is more because either the blame fall onto her, or it is Nasu. Of course the fandom will defend their god.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    I'd actually say the prime culprits I've seen are:

1. Trauma over Septem and Extella

2. 4chan

3. That one Reddit user who kept on making tabloid posts about her with info they got off 4chan

- - - Updated - - -

I hesitate from chalking it up just to sexism (though there IS sexist rhetoric thrown around especially from point 2) because people also disproportionately give Minase shit to the extent I've had to correct people like 4 times that "No X event that makes you angry was not written by Minase"

Quote Originally Posted by mami-kouga View Post
    1. Trauma over Septem and Extella
    From a majority of people who definitely did not read Septem, and are only parroting what they read on 4chan/reddit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Ugh cokesakto no no no
    Quote Originally Posted by Neir View Post
    your ability to be wrong about literally everything you post is truly astounding. Even a broken clock is right twice a day, but you haven't been right once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kateikyo View Post
    The gay pics were the most entertaining thing going on in this discussion.