Thread: Fate/Ninth Wave - An Apocrypha Story

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle Castellan's Avatar

Fate/Ninth Wave - An Apocrypha Story

The Lesser Grail Wars. In the aftermath of the theft of the Greater Grail by the Yggdmillennia family, the proliferation of the ritual by which seven Mages summon seven Servants to fight for the Holy Grail was nigh-inevitable. The majority of these wars, in spite of being fought over an object much less powerful than the Greater Grail, have resulted in disaster and a significant number of deaths among the Mage population.

As a Lesser Grail War looks to kick off in Ireland, a modification to the ritual results in a much more powerful Grail, able to summon seven Heroic Spirits of power exceeding most Lesser Grail Wars. In an effort to limit the scope of the damage, Niamh, the scion of a reclusive family of power brokers, enters the war as the Master of Rider.

But there's only so far you can go with a wish to protect others, and Niamh will have to find the answer to why she fights before the War threatens to undo her world, and her with it...

For the sake of not having to fight the Editing Machine again, I will mostly be using this thread to archive updates and collect feedback. You can find the prologue here, which is also where subsequent chapters will be released.

I think it's pretty rough, but I'm also cutting myself a little bit of slack for how long it's been since I wrote fiction of any length without a writing partner - hopefully the quality'll go up as I release more chapters.

Blog Entries
    Aoife my beloved.

Another fic in the Apocrypha timeline, can't really complain since it's probably the most flexible setting. In any case, liking what I've seen so far. Will be keeping tabs on this for sure.
    Check out the officialTM Create-a-Servant discord server

Blindfold your eyes, so that the approaching night may strike no fear in you.
    Let it not burden your soul, nor numb your strides.

Blog Entries
    I know that feeling of coming back from a long break from writing and being unsatisfied with what you're putting out because in your eyes it doesn't measure up to what you'd been writing before, but rest assured, this prologue was still great

Spoiler:
    The descriptions of Saoirse's sight are very fun, and the moments in which Scáthach (barring any red herrings) makes her into someone who effectively knows a lot more than she understands are rather interesting

She doesn’t look that much younger than me, but her hair’s a pale silver that catches the torchlight and makes her look older,
    This is a minuscule quibble, but in their respective sheets Saoirse is listed as 15 and Niamh as 20, which would contradict this one line

Definitely looking forward to the next chapter

Oh that is straight-up just a typo, whoopsie! Thank you for catching that.

Chapter 1 is upon us. New viewpoint character, she'll be sticking with us for the rest of the story. Originally this was going to be a very different chapter, but it kept pushing me in a slightly different direction. Don't know if that's just the rust talking, but I'm going with my gut and letting the cast breathe for a minute before things get funky again.

Also trying not to lay down too much exposition, but hopefully people are picking up on the details here and there that'll be important for future stuff.

Blog Entries
    Finally got around to read this. Pretty cozy first chapter. Liking the bro energy Mashu got.

- - - Updated - - -

You know, even with minimum editing, you probably should just repost the actual story here.
    Check out the officialTM Create-a-Servant discord server

Blindfold your eyes, so that the approaching night may strike no fear in you.
    Let it not burden your soul, nor numb your strides.

Yeah, I think I've found a way around the thing that could become an editing hurdle, so I'm just going to repost future chapters here in full.

Or at least I found a method that helps make the editing process from my word processor to Ao3 easier so I can transfer the editing time from that to BL.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, I think you made the right decision to split chapter 1 like this, rushing to catch up with the prologue too soon would've probably been unproductive, whereas this introduction has been turning out really well. Good chapter!

Also I think I may have 'liked' the fic twice? I don't get how the site works really. It deserves it though lol

The next chapter will probably be slightly delayed on account of my brain spending most of this week rattling around the inside of my noggin like the last penny in a mason jar, but it's going to feature an old friend or two :>

I set myself the rule of not using any existing non-Servant characters but a Heroic Spirit may cameo from Somewhere Else.