JP Friend Code
    616288630 tell/pm/whatev
    Blog Entries
    XD please commit warcrime for my daughter

Blog Entries
    I will, Suteppu chichi
    "Let's see the color of your coin, my friend."

Behold my vault of Heroes.
    Where the Heavens and the Abyss breath the Music of Humanity.

The King's duty is to provide. And provide, I shall.
    University of Formatting | Gallery of Potential | Memorandum of the Extra Class Kings

Our Kingdom will grow. And we shall know each citizen.
    Create-a-Servant 4 soon.

Blog Entries
    What a blessed creature.

Fate\last call
    night, dawn, and the birth of stars

╘══════════════════╕
    Characters
    Dictionary
    Poll
    Recent: Ch. ■
    next arc: Spring 2024

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle TQG Imaginatorious's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    T-Too... Much... Sugar... (just dies)

Absolute Mistake, and Patriarch of the AAA Clan, a Beast's Lair Subsidiary Anime Aurelius Anomaly's Avatar
    Forbidden Land where there is only Insanity.
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    This is it. This is what years of human evolution has led to. And it's worth it.
    In the hidden plains of the Internet, there are only the lurkers.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    My understanding of Circuits parameters, based on explanations I can't for the life of me remember the source and are probably 80% gaps filled by the voices in my head:

The Magiexample family is a weird lineage with multiple heirs of wildly varying Circuit quantities and qualities (25 of them to be exact, each with a different Circuit sheet). They all use basic Projection Magecraft to make seemingly ordinary but strangely magically-costing bricks every day. They swear they have a legit plan to reach the Fount with this, but no one buys it.

Their weakest heir, Ee Magiexample, has E quantity, E quality, and normal composition, thus only producing enough magical energy for 1 brick per day.

Another heir, Ae Magiexample, has A quantity, E quality, and normal composition, meaning she can dish out 5 bricks at once, but that consumes all of her daily energy stock.

Another heir, Ea Magiexample, had E quantity, A quality, and normal composition, thus producing enough magical energy to generate 5 bricks a day, but only being able to spit them out one at a time. Tragically, Ea lost his arm which coincidentally happened to be where all his paltry 2~3 Circuits were located, and temporarily could no longer be a mage. This was solved by their siblings going down the Spiritual Tomb, killing a griffin by throwing bricks at it, and implanting one of the griffin's legs as Ea's new arm. Now he has B quantity and B quality. Same as his sister Bibi, but with altered composition vs her normal composition. Bibi and altered composition Ea are capable of producing 4 waves of 4 bricks at once, for a respectable batch of 16 bricks a day.

And the clan's masterpiece is Aa Magiexample, with natural A quality and A quantity, single-handedly dishing out 25 bricks a day in 5 waves of 5 bricks at once.
    By the way, does anyone want me to expand on this example? I always felt I have a lot more I can say through this, but at this point I really don't think it'll be any useful.

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle Castellan's Avatar
    I think the example stands on its own really well but if you want to expand on it I certainly wouldn't object. There's always more to learn (and if I can have a laugh along the way, the better.)

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I wouldn't mind more examples.

Blog Entries
    Thread idea: weekly lectures on magecraft by professor Random, Comun and You.
    Check out the officialTM Create-a-Servant discord server

Blindfold your eyes, so that the approaching night may strike no fear in you.
    Let it not burden your soul, nor numb your strides.

Blog Entries
    yes. please.
    "Let's see the color of your coin, my friend."

Behold my vault of Heroes.
    Where the Heavens and the Abyss breath the Music of Humanity.

The King's duty is to provide. And provide, I shall.
    University of Formatting | Gallery of Potential | Memorandum of the Extra Class Kings

Our Kingdom will grow. And we shall know each citizen.
    Create-a-Servant 4 soon.

Absolute Mistake, and Patriarch of the AAA Clan, a Beast's Lair Subsidiary Anime Aurelius Anomaly's Avatar
    Forbidden Land where there is only Insanity.
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    If you don't mind, I'll taking a lot of notes if this thread idea comes to fruition.
    In the hidden plains of the Internet, there are only the lurkers.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pinetree View Post
    I wouldn't mind more examples.
    Ok, but I really mean it about it not being useful. Because that's not the intention of this update at all.

Graad Magiexample

Personal data
    Name: Graad Magiexample Gender: Male Age: 77
    Circuit Quantity: C Circuit Quality: C Circuit Composition: Regular
    Affiliation: Clock Tower Attribute: Earth Origin: Proliferation
    Family data Clock Tower data
    History: 900 years Rank: Count
    Generations: More than he wants to admit Department: Astromancy

Family History

Much like the older Escardos family, the Magiexample family is a lineage with a long history but no fixed thesis to call their own. Many of its successive heads plotted out projects to reach the Fount, but their plans always proved themselves to be unfeasible, shortsighted, products of misunderstandings, or just outright bad ideas. As the family as approaches its first millennium milestone, its successive heads grow increasingly more desperate to produce at least one project that sounds viable enough to grant them the basic rank of Cause so they don't feel like a legacy of bumbling idiots anymore.

What makes this particular lineage stand out among the many families that have yet to find their own direction is that all past failed projects in the clan's history coincidentally happen to function as perfect examples that can be used to explain the core mechanics of magecraft taught by the Department of General Fundamental. This unintended quirk of their history earned them the moniker of "Trambelio's Walking Textbooks". Derogatory as the epithet may have been, one particular head found the coincidence so amusing that he changed the family's name to Magiexample to reflect that. His descendants all hated this, but agreed that renaming the family to something better before they at least attained Cause status would look too pathetic.

Personal history and character

Graad's personality is a balanced mix of deep shame and baseless confidence. He had one nice-sounding idea in his younger days and dedicated himself to it with full faith that he is the one who will give the Magiexample a new direction and a new name. Older mages in the Clock Tower have already seen this exact character with this exact buildup before and wait with bated breath for the punchline.

Graad was full of drive and vitality in more ways than one. As he took over as the family head, he announced that the first step of his big project was to have 25 children. The more cynical onlookers doubted the fact that he had a plan for the Fount at all, claiming that he was only going with this direction because he wanted to have a lot of sex. This latter half of the accusation is not entirely untrue. He is a firm and proud believer in the philosophy that people should combine business with pleasure, and the only thing stopping him from espousing his belief is the fact that these suspicious statements would hurt his family's reputation further and that's the last thing he wants.

Eventually, he married the second daughter of a noble family and began to set his ritual in motion. His wife is in it out of curiosity for the punchline of the latest Magiexample flop and is not great at hiding that, but Graad believes the pleasure of proving her wrong in the end and the pleasure they offer each other in bed is more than worth the downsides.

At age 77, Graad finally has the youngest of his 25 being old enough to contribute to his ultimate ritual that will supposedly shape the future of the Magiexample family.

Magecraft

Birth Calculations
    The magecraft that lead Graad to move the Magiexample family to the Department of Astromancy. The ancient art of astrology has the core purpose of examining a person's inborn traits by calculating the astral circumstances at the moment of their birth. However, by doing this math backward, it is possible to birth a baby with the exact desired attributes locating when exactly they must be born, and consequently when they must be conceived.

Through this method, Graad managed to birth 25 Earth attribute children each with a different combination of Circuit Quantity and Quality. Like he was filling a bingo card or completing a sticker album, Graad Magiexample generated one descendant of each possible Magic Circuit combination, without exception. This functioned as a decades-long ritual to imbue Graad's spirit with the concept of completion, which would be a necessary step in the completion of his project.

Advanced Projection formula
    Gradation Air, the standard form of Projection magecraft, is a basic fundamental used to provide basic disposable tools for rituals. It's a skill famed for its inefficiency, as the objects constructed by it cannot last for very long. Graad saw hidden potential in this principle and adapted its formula to his needs. With his new brand of Projection, it's possible to create bricks that last a lot longer than the usual projected tool. They are not everlasting, as this is beyond both Graad's abilities and interests, but they can last a few days before they run out of magical energy and dissipate.

The drawback of his version is the expected one: since the bricks are loaded with more magical energy to last longer, they take more magical energy to produce. Magiexample bricks are extremely costly, to the point someone with As on both Circuit Quantity and Quality can produce only 25 with their whole daily stock of energy, while someone with double Es can barely manage 1.

Construction Magecraft
    Construction. The act of producing complete structures out of raw materials. Graad's main use for this skill is to build a tower out of bricks. His children grant him a total of 225 bricks per day, which is obviously far from enough to build a tower, but since Graad spent decades engraving the concept of completion into his spirit, he was able to turn 3 or 4 days worth of bricks into a complete tower.

Retractable Tower of Babel
    The final form of the spell Graad always dreamed of. The Magiexample family's climb into all the knowledge in the universe. The spell draws from the myth of the Tower of Babel, a tale from Genesis that describes mankind attempting to build a tower tall enough to reach God in Heaven. By climbing his tower, Graad reenacts the process of mankind approaching God, which gives access to any possible information on Earth.

The tale of Babel ends with God disabling communication between people when the tower gets too tall, but Graad's Retractable Tower is designed to counter that by being made of projected bricks. The Projection magecraft's notorious weakness of lacking permanence plays in Graad's favor. The older bricks regularly fade away, shrinking the tower below the point where it "angers god". The concept of completion keeps the tower's shape from crumbling with the missing pieces.

Graad's great plan is to raise and climb the tower every day when the older bricks are about to run out and grab one piece of knowledge a day, keeping him and his children safe from the language shuffle because the tower always shrinks away from Heaven. The process repeats until the Magiexample family crest accumulated all the knowledge available to them.

Now, this procedure raises one major question: decades of setup and risk of language shuffle aside, what makes accessing this universal library of knowledge different from having a standard Philosophy Key and accessing the Philosophy Foundation's universal library? The answer is nothing, but don't tell Graad that, it will really hurt his feelings.

Blog Entries
    Now this is an excellent effortpost explanation. o7

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Create a Magus is saved. Graad is here to assure its future.

This is everything I wanted and more.

Anyone have any tips in regards to cultural and religious syncretism for foundations? I made a Greco-Buddhist one but it ended up off-base. The mage I'm working is pretty much someone that utilizes a foundation that's a mix of different cultures in the same sphere or at least have some connection. What I'm looking for is pretty much weird-ass connections like Greco-Buddhism

Blog Entries
    If you're looking for specific examples of weird historical syncretism, on top of my head:

Manicheanism (Zoroastrian + Christian + Buddhist)
    Kejawen (Javanese Animism + Hinduism + Buddhism + Islam)
    Vodou (African religions + Catholicism)
    Menhuan (Islam + Confucianism)
    Bnei Menashe (Tibeto-Burman Animism + Judaism)
    Satpanth (Nizari Isma'ilism + Hinduism)
    Baul (Vaishnavism + Sufism)
    Rastafarianism

JP Friend Code
    616288630 tell/pm/whatev
    Blog Entries
    Baha'i

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    Anyone have any tips in regards to cultural and religious syncretism for foundations? I made a Greco-Buddhist one but it ended up off-base. The mage I'm working is pretty much someone that utilizes a foundation that's a mix of different cultures in the same sphere or at least have some connection. What I'm looking for is pretty much weird-ass connections like Greco-Buddhism
    I'm gonna be honest and say I have no idea what it is you're trying to say here, but I'm going to try and answer what I can; as far as cultural and religious syncretism goes, if you're basing it on the syncretism of an existing culture, just...take what they say about their own perception of that syncretism at face value. Go back and see where the ideas they were putting together came from.

If you're just looking for off-the-wall syncretisms then Kamera's got you covered, but if you can't make Greco-Buddhism work as a foundation then I don't think picking a "weirder" syncretism is going to help you.

Quote Originally Posted by Castellan View Post
    I'm gonna be honest and say I have no idea what it is you're trying to say here, but I'm going to try and answer what I can; as far as cultural and religious syncretism goes, if you're basing it on the syncretism of an existing culture, just...take what they say about their own perception of that syncretism at face value. Go back and see where the ideas they were putting together came from.

If you're just looking for off-the-wall syncretisms then Kamera's got you covered, but if you can't make Greco-Buddhism work as a foundation then I don't think picking a "weirder" syncretism is going to help you.
    I guess I'll take your advice. In this case, I'd like to develop some sort of phenomenon as a foundation, similar to Papilio Magia is a foundation based on buttefly larvae changing into entirely different states