Page 221 of 345 FirstFirst ... 121171211216219220221222223226231271321 ... LastLast
Results 4,401 to 4,420 of 6893

Thread: Magic: the Gathering - T: Add Three Mana Of Any One Colour To Your Mana Pool

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    What kind of guy am I aldea.
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

HSTP 500 Internal S ervant  Error aldeayeah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    A traditional kind of guy who likes to play on his own terms, which tend to involve killing everything on the table and using large spells with X and/or skulls in their costs.
    Last edited by aldeayeah; May 22nd, 2016 at 12:27 AM.
    don't quote me on this

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by aldeayeah View Post
    Well I have you as a guy that likes beating face, the colors white and green, justice, and the American Way. Am I wrong?
    Not at all. [insert screeching Wingmate Rocs]
    Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    Yes, excellent. Go, Lyco, my proxy.
    F/GO SUPPORT

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilm View Post
    So now everyone is waiting to play mac, and everyone besides siriel is 2-1, lol
    Certainly makes some of my table calculations easier.

And aldeayeah and I are now leading Nihilim by the barest margin, devolving to the fourth tournament tiebreaker metric (points, opponent match win, own match win, opponent game win), while we are completely tied against each other. I think in this situation he'd be favoured for the hypothetical T8 spot because he owns the head-to-head?

E: Actually looking up the tiebreaker rules (albeit the only document I could get out of Wizards was from 1998, so ...), apparently your own game win counts ahead of the opponent's. So Nihilim's leading us.

I almost played Stompy for the record.
    It was one of the decks on my list. What flavour: Dragon, Soldiers ... ?
    Beast's Lair: Useful Notes
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

Democracy on Beast's Lair

Blog Entries
    The '98 document is still in vigor if you mean this one.

Gotta make room for Lyco in that table...

- - - Updated - - -

It was one of the decks on my list. What flavour: Dragon, Soldiers ... ?
    I'd looked into Dragon and Eldrazi but didn't find either hateful enough.

Other forerunners were BUG, either Shardless or Team America. Abrupt Decay+countermagic do wonders to keep people honest.

I thought about Miracles too, but I didn't want to spend half an hour per game spinning Tops and durdling.
    Last edited by aldeayeah; May 22nd, 2016 at 04:12 AM.
    don't quote me on this

Blog Entries
    E: Actually looking up the tiebreaker rules (albeit the only document I could get out of Wizards was from 1998, so ...), apparently your own game win counts ahead of the opponent's. So Nihilim's leading us.
    That makes sense, because otherwise in the hypothetical three way tie where everybody played everybody else, the one who did best would be last, because everyone's opponent's rating would be higher because he did the best and he can't play against himself, so it start creating this silly world where you want to go 2-1 so your own percentages aren't that high.

- - - Updated - - -

my prior assessment of the most likely BL meta:

Siriel: 80% combo/20% fair deck
    Seika: 33% combo/66% fair deck
    Lycodrake: 5% combo/95% fair deck
    Nihilm: lol dunno
    Mac: 100% black deck

Well I am the guy who mostly plays limited, so I guess describing as wild card would be correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    dumb people always have shit opinions about eva, its like some kind of more reliable iq test
    [20:47:33] I3uster: in 2015 a crack memer was sent to skype prison by a court of his Peers for a crime he didnt commit. he promptly escaped from his Maximum security Forum into the twitter Underground. Today, still wanted by the skype Group he survives as memer of fortune. If you Need a shitpost, if nobody else can fuck up a thread, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire: June.

20.06.2014 Never forget

Blog Entries
    Actually, in a round robin tournament without draws, tiebreaker #1 (opponent match win %) is pretty much useless because at the end of the tournament, two players with the same points will always have the same opponent match win %. So you can skip right to tiebreaker #2, percentage of games won.

Tiebreaker #1 works much better in Swiss rounds because by keeping on winning you naturally end up paired agaisnt people who will improve your breakers.

It starts getting really complicated when byes, draws and people dropping happen.
    Last edited by aldeayeah; May 22nd, 2016 at 05:03 AM.
    don't quote me on this

Blog Entries
    League game durations:

vs Seika
    Game 1 (my win): 11 minutes
    Game 2 (Seika's win): 13 minutes
    Game 3 (my win): 24 minutes

vs Siriel
    Game 1 (Siriel's win): 10 minutes
    Game 2 (my win): 16 minutes
    Game 3 (my win): 10 minutes

vs Nihilm
    Game 1 (my win): 49 minutes
    Game 2 (Nihilm's win): 22 minutes
    Game 3 (Nihilm's win): 27 minutes
    don't quote me on this

Blog Entries
    League game durations:

vs Seika
    Game 1 (my win): 11 minutes
    Game 2 (Seika's win): 13 minutes
    Game 3 (my win): 24 minutes

vs Siriel
    Game 1 (Siriel's win): 10 minutes
    Game 2 (my win): 16 minutes
    Game 3 (my win): 10 minutes

vs Nihilm
    Game 1 (my win): 49 minutes
    Game 2 (Nihilm's win): 22 minutes
    Game 3 (Nihilm's win): 27 minutes

vs Siriel
    Game 1 (my win): 14 min
    Game 2 (my win): 15 min

vs Seika
    Game 1 (Seika's win): 52 min
    Game 2 (my win): 14 min
    Game 3 (Seika's win): 30 min

vs Aldeyeah
    Game 1 (Aldeyeah's win): 49 minutes
    Game 2 (my win): 22 minutes
    Game 3 (my win): 27 minutes
    Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    dumb people always have shit opinions about eva, its like some kind of more reliable iq test
    [20:47:33] I3uster: in 2015 a crack memer was sent to skype prison by a court of his Peers for a crime he didnt commit. he promptly escaped from his Maximum security Forum into the twitter Underground. Today, still wanted by the skype Group he survives as memer of fortune. If you Need a shitpost, if nobody else can fuck up a thread, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire: June.

20.06.2014 Never forget

Blog Entries
    I think I'm ready, if/whenever someone wants to set up a match on cockatrice - same username as I have here.
    hash: ope3soc8
    [edit]
    Good game, Seika. 2-0 her win. Had fun, given that it was my first Legacy experience. Odd to think I can now say I, technically, have "had a 'first Legacy deck'". =p
    Last edited by Lycodrake; May 22nd, 2016 at 08:43 PM.
    F/GO SUPPORT

Blog Entries
    Games vs. Siriel:

G1 (his win): 12 minutes
    G2 (my win): 22 minutes
    G3 (my win): 23 minutes

Games vs. Lycodrake
    G1 (my win): 43 minutes
    G2 (my win): 52 minutes

I GRIND YOU TO DUST.
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

Blog Entries
    New tables for a new player.

aldeayeah Lycodrake Nihilim mAc Seika Siriel
    aldeayeah XXXXXX 2-1 1-2 2-1 2-1
    Lycodrake 1-2 XXXXXX 0-2 0-2 2-0
    Nihilim 2-1 2-0 XXXXXX 1-2 2-0
    mAc XXXXXX
    Seika 1-2 2-0 2-1 XXXXXX 2-1
    Siriel 1-2 0-2 0-2 1-2 XXXXXX

P W L Own Match Win Opponent Match Win Own Game Win Opponent Game Win Points
    aldeayeah 4 3 1 75% 43.75% 58.33% 47.5% 9
    Lycodrake 4 1 3 25% 56.25% 33% 53.49% 3
    mAc 0 0 0 - - - - 0
    Nihilim 4 3 1 75% 43.75% 70% 45.24% 9
    Seika 4 3 1 75% 43.75% 63.64% 46.34% 9
    Siriel 4 0 4 0% 62.5% 20% 57.14% 0

Updated according to the WotC ordering (with own match win % kept for no very good reason). Not totally along WotC rules, because you're meant to bound each individual performance at no lower than 33% for calculations, but that just makes my table look wrong.
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

Blog Entries
    I'm not sure it's a good or a bad thing that our match was such a grindfest.
    F/GO SUPPORT

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycodrake View Post
    I'm not sure it's a good or a bad thing that our match was such a grindfest.
    I think it's pretty much what our decks were designed to do, so *shrug*

More statistics! Approximate average game lengths:

aldeayeah
    20 minutes, 13 seconds.

Lycodrake
    47 minutes, 30 seconds.

Nil
    27 minutes, 53 seconds.

Seika
    26 minutes, 55 seconds

Siriel
    15 minutes, 15 seconds
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

Blog Entries
    Lyco do you want to play?

- - - Updated - - -

Siriel
    15 minutes, 15 seconds
    The great hero.
    Ragnarok, come day of wrath
    That fallen souls might bear our plea.
    To hasten the Divine's return.
    O piteous Wanderer.

Blog Entries
    Sure, I have time before I need to get sleep.
    F/GO SUPPORT

Blog Entries
    Created the game.

Legacy section, THE GREAT BL SHOWDOWN, Password: Siriel.

My ID is Holokleros.
    O piteous Wanderer.

Blog Entries
    I can't believe an Ad Nauseam at 20 life didn't win game 1.

Though forgetting about the possibility of Teeg and discarding Brain Freeze in favor of Tendrils was entirely my fault.
    O piteous Wanderer.

Blog Entries
    So...2-0 win against Sir Siriel of the Ad Nauseam. Apparently it doesn't work on me as a win-con? Or a way to get to the win con?
    Also Gaddock Teeg is my friend.
    F/GO SUPPORT

Blog Entries
    Table updated.

Deck discussion: mAc, keep out
    You'd think that in a tournament with such a low countermagic (and even discard) count, Storm would be able to dominate. Alas, instead of the traditional measures, we have Gaddock Teeg.

Advice this turned into more of an essay, sorry for Lyco on that key G2 turn:

You should be identifying key parts to the match: your threats, their threats; your answers, his answers; your weaknesses, and his weaknesses. Particularly prominent here were your diverse array of threats, and his shallow pool of answers - you had Teeg forcing him off Ad Nauseam, Past in Flames, and Tendrils, and a Marit Lage combo about to go off. Deathrite was policing the graveyard and adding to your otherwise slow clock, and Scooze was ready to duplicate that role. You'd Thoughtseized him, and knew that he had a Chain of Vapor as an available answer.

Your two biggest angles of attack here are clearly Teeg and Marit Lage. Scooze and Deathrite are very good, but they don't put anything like the same pressure on him - especially as he looks to be more of an Ad Nauseam storm variant (which we used to call TES), instead of focusing on Past In Flames and the graveyard (ANT). You've caught him in a pincer: either he subjects himself to Gaddock Teeg and has to win with several key cards off the table, or he has no way to stop your angry 20/20 killing him in two turns.

You should therefore concentrate on this pincer and making each side of it as painful for him as you can. Teeg's side is the controlling one, so you should home in on enabling that as best as possible. Like most control situations, the life total doesn't matter as long as they're not capable of doing anything. You can peck away at them as slow as you like (though Deathrite, Scooze, and Teeg all together would have been a decently fast clock). Marit Lage was your damage side, and that involves hitting him for 20 outright, so the life total still doesn't matter.

The point of all this is that I would have changed that turn from this:
    Dark Depths
    Scrubland, Deathrite: Exile Thoughtseize for two
    Forest, Wasteland: cast Scooze
    Attack with Dryad Arbor + Teeg

to this:
    Dark Depths
    Dryad Arbor, Forest: cast Scooze
    Attack with Teeg.

This means that:
    Deathrite is still available, with black mana, to take spell cards out of his yard (and you should always be exiling stuff from theirs, not yours, except under particular cirumstances which mostly involve removing Tarmogoyf card types as you were doing against me. This is especially true when you're playing Storm).

Wasteland is still up to harass his poor mana, one of the weaknesses he's clearly suffering under. Yes, if he goes off this coming turn, he'll still get mana out of a non-basic drop, but he'll have to choose immediately when you get priority. There's value in him having to decide on U or R out of a Volcanic, say, without knowing all the cards he's going to draw. Even if he's setting up this turn to go off on the next, when Thespian's Stage demonstrates he's about to die, then you can still restrict his options with the Wasteland threat.

To keep up the Wasteland and the Scrubland, we've had to use a Forest and the Dryad Arbor. This, however, isn't likely to be very relevant. That single point of Dryad Arbor means very little, when you think back to your pincers - on the one hand, you can go as slow as you like if you're controlling him; on the other, you're killing him with Marit Lage so him being at 11 instead of 12 is of no value. We've lost the use of green mana, but what's Deathrite going to do with it? He doesn't play creatures, and yours aren't likely to die against a storm deck - and if they do, somehow, how likely is two life extra to win you the game anyway?
    (Alternative option, focusing more on yard control than mana denial: use the Wasteland and Forest to cast Scooze, then hold up the Arbor for a source of G for Scooze so you can exile two things. Either way, you want to use the Arbor for mana, not damage).

I mean ... you won anyway, so this might all be of limited relevance, but it was an interesting scenario with some varied options, which I think illustrates some vital Magic-playing principles.
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15