Page 273 of 345 FirstFirst ... 173223263268271272273274275278283323 ... LastLast
Results 5,441 to 5,460 of 6893

Thread: Magic: the Gathering - T: Add Three Mana Of Any One Colour To Your Mana Pool

Blog Entries
    Deck choice

Jund was in my mind from the start, for the obvious reasons. It's been my favourite Modern deck since I started watching the format, it has delicious GB grindiness, and it has a nice toolbox. I'm pretty sure everyone anticipated this, especially after I called out Jund as my favourite Modern deck in my post-Legacy write-up and, y'know, said people risked the mirror with me if they picked Jund - even if I hadn't settled on my deck at the time.

That said, it was kind of predictable and it's not like I don't have other pet decks. I probably ran through more KCI games than Jund in the lead-up to this, because it's interesting and fun as an exercise. But that's just playing solitaire, so not happening for a friendly tournament. Similarly, Deadguy Ale, while there's lots of interaction on my part, through discard and land-killing, would have been too unfun for other people. I also considered favoured child Mono-Green Stompy, but discarded it as too linear - there's play to it, but 90% of matches would have been decided one way or another by T4 and, again, that seemed sort of a sad thing to present people with. (Though it's more fun to play against than KCI or Deadguy, so I'm not totally ruling it out in future). My Mardu control deck just didn't feel in shape for the tournament - I wasn't averse to playing a low-tier deck (into which category Mono-Green Stompy definitively falls, and neither KCI nor Deadguy are exactly T1) but there's a difference between playing a non-competitive deck and a bad deck.

So, as I mentioned to a couple of people, I decided to just go for it and be the Jund player that I am. The comment that I was going to get hated out was made after I'd decided that; it was a bit of mindgames, but also the fact that it was blatantly obvious what I was going to play, especially having hinted at it in the thread. Jund may be renowned for having no worse than 50% matchups against everything, but there are (good) decks that turn the screws on it really badly if you want them. GR Tron pre-Eye banning was well-known for it; Eldrazi is horrible; and Siriel's spoilerDredge deck is also a terrible match-up that I had no right to win. (Conversely, I also benefited from some great match-ups and opponent draws: Lyco quickly pulled Allosaurus Rider both games, and while he's got to go for it by all means, that's still really asking for Jund to three-for-one you, besides making hand attack a lot easier on my end too).

Deck Tech

As I revealed to some people, this is a minimally changed list which I'd had since about January of this year, I think. It's not hyper-tuned to this tournament (which I suppose is good because I didn't really guess the meta well) so lots of comments are just about what (I think) I was anticipating at the time.

I don't like your stuff: discard it
    4 Inquisition of Kozilek
    2 Thoughtseize
    4/2 split even though there are a fair number of relevant 4+ drops in Modern, because this deck can really run through its life total, especially if you're as aggressive about shocklands as I am.

I don't like your stuff: kill it
    4 Lightning Bolt
    3 Abrupt Decay
    2 Terminate
    1 Dreadbore
    1 Maelstrom Pulse
    Lightning Bolt at 4x for its enormous versatility and usefulness. Then opted for a relatively broad mix of answers, which is the way I personally like it. (I retained a single Dreadbore where Nil left it out, for example, but it's also less important that I act at instant speed than it is for his deck; in fact, I'm often casting instants on my turn just to reduce the likelihood they'll be countered or otherwise responded to). Left toughness-killers to the bolts, on the grounds that I was seeing lots of Tasigurs and Eldrazi at the time, IIRC: if these can hit something, it should die.

I don't like your stuff: discard it AND kill it
    4 Liliana of Veil
    2 Kolaghan's Command
    4x Liliana because her power as an attrition card is key to the whole way Jund operates. K-Command is really nice, and I remember trying to fit in another during deck construction, but it's honestly a tad expensive. I often want to be casting multiple spells a turn, either for punishing early games, or taking advantage of having ground the opponent out later, and 3 mana makes that more difficult.

I like my stuff: get more of it
    4 Dark Confidant
    The full four is probably necessary in this list (and most Jund lists, of course), since I'm not supplementing them with anything like Painful Truths, but they do hurt. Especially in more creature-based metas, they can be pretty ineffective on the ground, particularly compared to the days when a 2/1 in Modern could expect to take 6-10 points out of an opponent's life total.

I don't like your face: smash it
    4 Tarmogoyf
    Duh. Kept it simple instead of opting for any of the delve creatures as supplement.

These guys don't like your face either, and also hate your stuff so much they get better when it dies
    2 Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet
    3 Scavenging Ooze
    A wondrously main-deckable power package that means I don't have to have masses of dedicated grave hate in the side.
    Kalitas is the latest answer to Jund's problem of what it should put in its four-drop slot since BBE went. Reid Duke had been having a fair bit of success with them in his decks around the time I made this, so I opted to try it out. Pretty impressed overall, despite having to cut down my favoured Huntmaster value machines to fit them in. Kalitas' lifelink (which is relatively easy to overlook compared to the rest of his text) and the lifegain from Scooze were both relevant a reasonable number of times, again saving me and my deck from our reckless life use. If these two worked better together, it would be close to perfect, but you can't have everything.

My lands don't even like your face (Have you noticed Jund is a very angry plane yet?)
    3 Raging Ravine
    1 Treetop Village
    Three Ravines because an on-demand 4/4 attacker is gorgeous and the fixing is much appreciated, especially as it lets me concentrate more on the important black lands in the rest of my mana base. A token Treetop for situations where the horribly expensive activation cost of Ravine is preventing me from doing things. Manlands in general are really important for Jund, because this is an attrition deck far more than a value deck. (This is an important distinction which people picking up Jund from just its reputation commonly fail to apprehend). You much more frequently trade cards with your discard or your removal than get two-for-ones; Lili's discard is symmetrical; none of your beaters are especially resilient beyond their (potentially, eventually) high toughness. It's very easy to end up with both players having empty hands and no creatures, at which point being able to tear someone's face off with a land is a key route to victory.

(Slightly) less angry lands
    2 Stomping Ground
    2 Overgrown Tomb
    1 Blood Crypt
    3 Blackcleave Cliffs
    2 Bloodstained Mire
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Wooded Foothills
    1 Twilight Mire
    1 Forest
    2 Swamp
    Black's really important in this deck, so a lot of the fixing is dedicated just to that, and all the fastlands are the R/B ones for that purpose. Especially early, you also want access to Red for Bolt; later, green comes up in importance once you're casting your 'Goyfs and activating manlands. Looking at this list, I'm certain I should change a Stomping Ground for another Blood Crypt, in fact. (A relic of me previously playing Huntmaster over Kalitas, perhaps?) Advantages of being forced to re-consider your deck card-by-card!

The stuff that hates you and your stuff so much it has to be kept in a special pen and not used until after the first game has finished
    SB: 1 Pithing Needle
    SB: 2 Grafdigger's Cage
    SB: 2 Fulminator Mage
    SB: 2 Duress
    SB: 2 Pyroclasm
    SB: 3 Ancient Grudge
    SB: 1 Chandra, Pyromaster
    SB: 1 Kitchen Finks
    SB: 1 Thrun, the Last Troll
    The various answers in their relatively obvious places: Finks stalls burn and all-in aggro, Pyroclasm wipes hordes of small creatures, Fulminators deal with land shennanigans; Grudges hate on artifacts; Thrun smashes up control decks stuffed with removal.

Cage deals with graveyard stuff of course, but there is a second often-overlooked part to it too, perhaps thanks to the card's flavour. And stopping creatures entering from the library is getting more and more relevant in Modern. No Collected Company, no Eldritch Evolution, no Nahiri ults ...
    Duress is particularly there for the Burn matchup, which is why it isn't extra copies of the more versatile Thoughtseize. Nevertheless, it's still decent at disrupting control and combo.
    Chandra is very much there for the grindy match-ups, even if I did bring her in against aldeayeah to ping his little creatures. (I had reasonable confidence I'd be able to keep him from going off too quickly at least by G2). A couple of times during this tournament I had Chandra 0-ing safely with a Confidant on the board, and drawing three cards a turn for free felt pretty glorious tbh.

Changes for the tournament

I put in an extra land just as a matter of tuning, and that served me well on a couple of occasions where I took risky one-land keeps. Cut my final Huntmaster for it, cementing Kalitas' dominance.

Put in another sideboard Grudge for a Feed the Clan, since Burn had died down a bit from when I'd built this and I wasn't really putting anyone on Burn. I was anticipating at least one person playing an artifact-heavy deck - some kind of combo if not Affinity - and thought that at worst I could probably clear out some hateful artifacts that would be brought in from sideboards. As it turns out, with spoilerRaff in the tournament and no artifacts presenting themselves to me whatsoever, the Feed the Clan would actually have been better.

That's it. I said I didn't do much.
    Beast's Lair: Useful Notes
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

Democracy on Beast's Lair

Blog Entries
    Yeah I absolutely would have put you on Jund if not for that comment, that said I was not at all surprised when you ended up being Jund anyway. B/G grindy is what I peg as your style for the most part based on what I've seen.
    Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    dumb people always have shit opinions about eva, its like some kind of more reliable iq test
    [20:47:33] I3uster: in 2015 a crack memer was sent to skype prison by a court of his Peers for a crime he didnt commit. he promptly escaped from his Maximum security Forum into the twitter Underground. Today, still wanted by the skype Group he survives as memer of fortune. If you Need a shitpost, if nobody else can fuck up a thread, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire: June.

20.06.2014 Never forget

Blog Entries
    Put an EDH room up.
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

Blog Entries
    Joined.
    dumb people always have shit opinions about eva, its like some kind of more reliable iq test
    [20:47:33] I3uster: in 2015 a crack memer was sent to skype prison by a court of his Peers for a crime he didnt commit. he promptly escaped from his Maximum security Forum into the twitter Underground. Today, still wanted by the skype Group he survives as memer of fortune. If you Need a shitpost, if nobody else can fuck up a thread, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire: June.

20.06.2014 Never forget

Blog Entries
    Nil: My Duergar Hedge-Mage destroys your Gilded Lotus, Seika.
    Seika: Dammit. Um, in retaliation, I will make Ratman sacrifice his Narset.
    Ratman: Dammit. In retaliation, I will Path to Exile Nil's Duergar Hedge-Mage.
    Nil: Yay, a land!
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

Blog Entries
    [23:19:33] TheNilIsReal: I am not blaming anyone, but I feel like this is what magic is like if we were playing it stoned
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

Blog Entries
    Sorry Ratman I ended up doing stuff today. If you're still around we can get the match over quick in like 20 min after I've eaten.

My secondary deck choice for this was Rainbow Burn but I figured for once I should go for a strategy that actually involves creatures for once.
    Ragnarok, come day of wrath
    That fallen souls might bear our plea.
    To hasten the Divine's return.
    O piteous Wanderer.

Blog Entries
    He's currently in our stoners' match, and I doubt will be feeling like playing afterwards.
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

Blog Entries
    Oh well, there's no hurry.
    Ragnarok, come day of wrath
    That fallen souls might bear our plea.
    To hasten the Divine's return.
    O piteous Wanderer.

Blog Entries
    Aw, y'all have "no spectators" chosen. ;w;
    Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    Yes, excellent. Go, Lyco, my proxy.
    F/GO SUPPORT

Blog Entries
    Two-and-a-half hours in, the first casualty.
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

Blog Entries
    Oh boy... That was a game. GG WP Ratman and Seika

20.06.2014 Never forget

JP Friend Code
    003254397 / Ratman
    Blog Entries
    note to self

command zone exists for a reason

do not put commander anywhere else unless you have done the math perfectly well

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilm View Post
    Oh boy... That was a game. GG WP Ratman and Seika
    Who am I kidding, we all played terribly, there is no way that game should have lasted 3 hours with our decks.

20.06.2014 Never forget

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    And with a 1-2 loss to Ratman, my time in this tourney is over. While I won no games, I'd like to think I scored a moral victory of sorts, bringing amusement and bemusement to all involved. Without further ado:

I Love Cheap Kills

Spoiler:
    4 Triskaidekaphobia
    4 Hidetsugu's Second Rite
    4 Exsanguinate
    4 Tree of Perdition
    2 Mogg Fanatic
    2 Cunning Sparkmage
    2 Ghost Quarter
    2 Grasp of Darkness
    1 Dark Petition
    2 Bloodfell Caves
    4 Goblin Fireslinger
    1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    2 Spark Jolt
    2 Blood Artist
    9 Mountain
    10 Swamp
    2 Smash to Smithereens
    3 Collective Brutality
    SB: 2 Tainted Remedy
    SB: 2 Grim Lavamancer
    SB: 2 Scorched Rusalka
    SB: 2 Pithing Needle
    SB: 1 Crumble to Dust
    SB: 1 Dreadbore
    SB: 1 Infinite Obliteration
    SB: 2 Thoughtseize
    SB: 2 Languish

After seeing Triskaidekaphobia in action during the Shadows Over Innistrad prerelease - specifically, dying to my own - I knew that I wanted to use it in a deck one day. Hidetsugu's Second Rite was another fun card I learned about, albeit never saw, so I figured I'd throw it in as well for extra fun. From there I looked up decks that used the two, picked and pulled what cards looked useful and made an untested deck to unleash upon the masses.

The creatures were chosen based on the sole characteristic of enabling Trisk and Hide. Most of them deal one damage in some way or form so that I can deal precise lifeloss for the right wincon. Tree of Perdition ended up being a crucial blocker often, given how many creatures tended to be large and attacking me, while Goblin Fireslinger was the most useful creature by far for attacking people, especially since it bypasses combat. On the downside, Cunning Sparkmage only saw play once; either I'd never draw it or it would be instantly eliminated.

Instants were meant to either deal small amounts of damage or eliminate troublesome creatures. My biggest miscalculation by far was Smash to Smithereens; initially, I almost learned from my mistake last tournament and included Lightning Bolt, but then I saw Smash and went "Bolt + Artifact destruction? That's straight value!"

The only artifact I ever destroyed was Aldeayeah's Bow of Nylea, and I still lost. Aggravatingly enough, the one time it would've actually been useful I was mana-screwed and thus died.

Lands were simple, and were mostly basic. Urborg was meant to save me in case I only had Swamps (it never did) and Ghost Quarter was in to deal with pesky painlands (which sort of worked, but not really). Bloodstained Mire offered a bit of lifegain since the deck isn't much for defense, and keeping myself out of range of my own Trisks is crucial.

Then there were the sorceries. By far, these did the most work in keeping me alive a bit longer and controlling enemy life totals. Collective Brutality was a great and cheap card useful for a variety of situations (and with all of those Smash to Smithereens around I could Escalate pretty easily). Exsanguinate was a lifesaver that gave me plenty of life during emergencies and was meant to offer variable life drain to manipulate enemies into Trisk or Hide. Alas, people had lands and oozes and bones and so on. Finally, Dark Petition was useless because it was too expensive and anything black I would tutor would probably cost 4.

Finally, my sideboard had cards of varying usefulness. Pithing Needle was an important card for sealing off troublesome enemy cards, such as lands that could be sacrificed with a cost of life or planeswalkers. Unfortunately most of the annoying abilities I dealt with were triggered, so RIP. Languish was an excellent boardwipe, and I wish I'd run it in the maindeck. Infinite Obliteration was useful, but unfortunately not gamechanging; running more of them might have been helpful. The rest I either never used or never drew.

All in all, I wish I'd made my deck a bit more efficient, but getting that one Hide kill off Lyco felt immensely satisfying. It was fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

Blog Entries
    Yeah, the Hide-to-the-face was both suffering and also kinda of "dang, he got there and it was pretty neat".
    F/GO SUPPORT

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilm View Post
    Who am I kidding, we all played terribly, there is no way that game should have lasted 3 hours with our decks.
    Hey, you guys had decks that wanted to finish the game. Don't associate my beautiful control deck with that pettiness.

(My wincon was Vraska).
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

Blog Entries
    aldeayeah Lycodrake Nihilm Rafflesiac Ratman Seika Siriel
    aldeayeah XXXXXX 2-0 0-2 2-0 2-0 0-2 2-0
    Lycodrake 0-2 XXXXXX 0-2 2-1 2-1 0-2 2-1
    Nihilm 2-0 2-0 XXXXXX 2-0 1-2 1-2 0-2
    Rafflesiac 0-2 1-2 0-2 XXXXXX 1-2 0-2 0-2
    Ratman 0-2 1-2 2-1 2-1 XXXXXX 2-0
    Seika 2-0 2-0 2-1 2-0 0-2 XXXXXX 2-0
    Siriel 0-2 1-2 2-0 2-0 0-2 XXXXXX

P W L Opponent Match Win Own Game Win Opponent Game Win Points
    aldeayeah 6 4 2 47.06% 66.67% 47.5% 12
    Lycodrake 6 3 3 50% 40% 51.95% 9
    Nihilm 6 3 3 50% 57.14% 48.72% 9
    Rafflesiac 6 0 6 58.82% 14.29% 56.41% 0
    Ratman 5 3 2 50% 53.85% 50% 9
    Seika 6 5 1 44.12% 76.92% 45.57% 15
    Siriel 5 2 3 50% 55.56% 50% 6

One to go.
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

Blog Entries
    I had an absolute blast last night at FNM with the CN2 draft. P2P1 was "Hymn of the Wilds" for me and I ran with it like a madman.
    Lyco's CN2 Draft dec
    Conspiracies
    1 Hymn of the Wilds
    1 Summoner's Bond (Throne Warden + Guardian of the Gateless)
    1 Adriana's Valor (Throne Warden)

Main Deck
    1 Palace Sentinels
    1 Juniper Order Ranger
    2 Ravenous Leucrocota
    2 Entourage of Trest
    1 Splitting Slime
    1 Menagerie Liberator
    1 Hollowhenge Spirit
    1 Regal Behemoth
    1 Affa Guard Hound
    1 Orchard Elemental
    1 Spectral Grasp
    2 Lieutenants of the Guard
    1 Netcaster Spider
    3 Throne Warden
    2 Custodi Peacekeeper (8)
    1 Ghostly Possession
    1 Ballot Broker
    1 Voyaging Satyr
    1 Guardian of the Gateless
    1 Brushstrider
    7 Plains
    7 Forests

Sideboard
    1 Kill Shot
    1 Throne Warden
    1 Divination
    1 Hurly-Burly
    2 Incendiary Dissent
    1 Caller of the Untamed
    1 Copperhorn Scout
    2 Raise the Alarm
    1 Horn of Greed
    1 Explosive Vegetation
    1 Runed Servitor

I got to Monstrosity Splitting Slime 9 times in the final 4. :3c
    Last edited by Lycodrake; August 27th, 2016 at 08:38 AM.
    F/GO SUPPORT

Blog Entries
    Have any of the rest of you gotten to draft CN2 yet? ;w;
    F/GO SUPPORT