Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 691011121316 ... LastLast

Thread: So now that some time passed what is this boards opinion on Ordeal Call?

Quote Originally Posted by Kirishima View Post
    They probably couldn't even deliver on a satisfactory ending to the whole arc even if they wanted to, to be honest, Lostbelt 7 itself was barely done as it is. Filler Call is their way of preparing for that ending while simultaneously extending the game's lifespan just a bit longer.

While I agree with being here for TM and loving LB7, most FGO stories are not even THAT great, specially the obvious filler and padding.
    I don't disagree, honestly. I do think though that Higashide and Minase have come really far, and I'm definitely curious about Meteo writing for the main story again if he actually does. I like Sakurai, too, I guess, but I feel like everyone can agree that's the least exciting prospect lol.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    LB7 was fun and therefore objectively good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

JP Friend Code
    I recently played through Honkai Impact's chapter 35 (part 1 finale) and it had the exact opposite problem of what we have in FGO, which is just funny. The problem was that it was super cramped. The amount of content in that chapter could have been split into like 3 chapters and they not only cram all into 1, they go above and beyond to explain the LORE, the mechanic behind the antagonist's plan that is related to philosophy, quantum physics, metaphysical systems, multiverse theory ALL that shit. You have Einstein over here explaining X, Tesla comes into explain Y, and by connecting them together you get Z that you also need W to be explained to connect the dots together to get Sigma. And then after 10 hours of infodump you have some good fucking fighting stuffs and character moments and a beautiful animated short at the end, and yet by that time its over in less than an hour. The chapter literally spent 90% of its volume to explain lore + world building and barely touch on character emotions until the very final 10% of the chapter. It feels like I am reading LB7 all over again but with part 1 infodump is 90% of the text and part 2 is the 10% remains, that's how bad it was. The fandom gone completely wild and the app rating dropped instantly in China (there are other reason such as releasing 3 new top meta units at once but that's just more fuel to the dumpster fire that was the story execution).

So Nasu decision to not cramping too much lore altogether is a good choice, dripping bits and bits instead is better. But then spreading the lore out into filler contents in a bad way ends up dragging the story down just as bad as rushing it. And now it is blatant that the stretching is only to drag the game along than trying to finish the story in the best way possible. At least Honkai tried to end the story (1st part but its pretty much the end of the storyline that lasts for 10+ years spanning over multiple mediums), even if it was horribly rushed. Getting the sweet balance spot is what these writers should aim for IMO, you don't stall for too long that can make players stop caring, but you also don't rush it and make players mad.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxXx2021 View Post
    Another thing that has played a cruel trick on them is that they've been PRing the seventh Lostbelt for a year as something "special"/"completing the arc". I still can't figure out what's so special about this Lostbelt, which is no different from the rest. It ended up being some crap with 3 playable servants.
    LB7 to me is more of failure to deliver the hype. The ORT fight which is the main attraction (the lore is great tho, just the gameplay is ass) is buggy as hell and repetitive. And since we stuck with such an incompetent company like Lasagna we get nothing innovative to make the chapter stand out and more memorable. Like despite me shitting on Honkai's chapter 35 above, they have a very cool idea where the MC (the captain of the giant aircraft Hyperion, pretty much their version of the Storm Border) pilot the ship and starts blasting through enemies to open ways for their Valkyries to fight (think of the Valkyries like the servants). So the game suddenly switch from visual novel screen to a freaking FPS screen and you starts controlling the buttons on the screen to maneuver, charge up the huge cannon to fire beamus, you lose the stage if your ship runs out of HP. And I was sitting there think man imagine if we could do that with the Storm Border, firing the Excalibur at Olga, or assisting servants in the fight with ORT and fire the last Excalibur beam like that. But what am I thinking it's Lasagna they can't innovate shits.

JP Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by VTKajin View Post
    I'm more willing to see what the writers are cooking with Ordeal Call. Higashide is probably going to deliver with Ruler, and of course I want to see more about Dantes and the Foreigners. Still iffy on Alter Ego but I'm happy to be convinced. If the respective writers have stuff they wanna do and this is their opportunity, I'd like to see it. Would Part 2 be over within a year if OC didn't exist and Nasu was forced to write the conclusion? Yeah, probably. Can I wait 1-1.5 years more? ...Eh, maybe. A few little plot beats can tide me over until next anni, probably. Some Beasts, maybe some Grands, Apostle stuff, who knows.
    I'm very curious about how Ruler will go. Apocrypha seemed like a pretty open and shut examination of the archetypal Ruler, and I didn't expect the class to have much more nuance to it. Dantes and the Foreigners are much more obvious picks, and Alter-Ego can be basically whatever they feel like.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six OnesFleetingGlory's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Pretty minor gripe I have with the Ordeal Call; it's an obvious filler, but it also breaks the immersion with Da Vinci's situation. She's been foreshadowed not to have long to live, so I had expected them to wrap up CHALDEAS business ASAP before OC was announced. Unless she bit it or found the solution during OC, I really don't see the point of it being repeated as far back as LB6.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    Oh God I forgot about death flag Mini Vinci.

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle Ubergeneral's Avatar
    I'd just assume that they just deal with it in OC. Filler or not I don't see this as a way to not move the story along more. They still haven't resolved Rasputin or revealed the last apostle yet. I even think Vitch still has some business with us.

Who knows how long the actual finale of part 2 will be. It could be as many as 3 parts. I mean area 51, fuyuki and antartica all have been mentioned and all could be a setting for a story chapter. Plenty of time to solve plot points.

And your crazy if you really think that FGO was ending after the lostbelts. It doesn't matter from a game perpective if they make OC now or later, there will keep on making stories after the lostbelts end.

US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubergeneral View Post
    It doesn't matter from a game perpective if they make OC now or later.
    It does matter when it involves someone with numbered days like Da Vinci. It stretched the story time too long that her extended life wouldn't make sense. I do hope it'd be addressed in OC, but it being filler makes me doubt that.

And I never said anything about FGO ending after Lostbelts. There will be more stories for sure, but current arc is on the clock with the resident and only advisor's limited time. OC could've been set after part 2 with someone else taking over as new advisor.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Kelp24's Avatar
    I mean Mini Vinci kinda sorta dropped her flags after Olympus didn't she? They still come up but they were at their strongest there.

Who knows how long the actual finale of part 2 will be. It could be as many as 3 parts. I mean area 51, fuyuki and antartica all have been mentioned and all could be a setting for a story chapter. Plenty of time to solve plot points.
    We’ve already been to Area 51

JP Friend Code
    nonexistant
    And your crazy if you really think that FGO was ending after the lostbelts. It doesn't matter from a game perpective if they make OC now or later, there will keep on making stories after the lostbelts end.
    I'm not sure why you keep rallying on this point and acting like you've hit some sort of gotcha. When ppl say "finish the story", they mean Part 2.
    burn your dread you coward

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelp24 View Post
    I mean Mini Vinci kinda sorta dropped her flags after Olympus didn't she? They still come up but they were at their strongest there.
    I only remember they ever being mentioned in Yuga Kshetra (Nezha/Vinci comparisons) and Avalon le Fae (Mike's farewell scene).

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Her death flags aren't really like what I think most people think they are.

Smol Vinci is an artificial being (she's basically a homunculus) who hosts a Heroic Spirit, something which is impossible ordinarily. Nevertheless, it was strangely allowed by the world when it was Bleached (or actually before then, but that's a whole another quagmire), and so she managed to activate and pilot Shadow Border. The obvious conclusion is that she'll deactivate once the world is returned to normal. Her 'Beautiful Journey' throughout the Bleached Earth is the only one she'll ever know. That's why her CE and NP are all about adventuring on the Bleached Earth. Once she succeeds in her duty, she'll most likely die. However, this is also what makes her different from other Heroic Spirits. She's "alive in the present" unlike them, and so has curiosity, can grow and mature.

US Friend Code
    So it's all a ploy to extend Mini Vinci's screentime. Got it.

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle Arete's Avatar
    I think it will largely depend on if the Ordeal Calls are skippable like the EoR chapters were. It's reasonable to assume that the Foreigner one likely is with how it was talked about, but whether it's the case for the other three will likely change people's attitude towards them significantly. If they are skippable, then people will skip them and we should considering LB7 the final chapter before the climax (presumably). Having them as mandatory, sans the Foreigner one, is the better option in my eyes, even if it means needing to complete more chapters.

Very bold to assume that the Foreigner chapter isn’t gonna be as mandatory as the other ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Lily Emilio View Post
    LB7 to me is more of failure to deliver the hype. The ORT fight which is the main attraction (the lore is great tho, just the gameplay is ass) is buggy as hell and repetitive. And since we stuck with such an incompetent company like Lasagna we get nothing innovative to make the chapter stand out and more memorable. Like despite me shitting on Honkai's chapter 35 above, they have a very cool idea where the MC (the captain of the giant aircraft Hyperion, pretty much their version of the Storm Border) pilot the ship and starts blasting through enemies to open ways for their Valkyries to fight (think of the Valkyries like the servants). So the game suddenly switch from visual novel screen to a freaking FPS screen and you starts controlling the buttons on the screen to maneuver, charge up the huge cannon to fire beamus, you lose the stage if your ship runs out of HP. And I was sitting there think man imagine if we could do that with the Storm Border, firing the Excalibur at Olga, or assisting servants in the fight with ORT and fire the last Excalibur beam like that. But what am I thinking it's Lasagna they can't innovate shits.
    Well FGO has never been and never tries to be a game that adds innovation. I long ago lost hope that they would add something really new to the game in battle mechanics. Of the really cool stuff, I can only remember Tiamat in Babylonia walking around in the background and changing the formation of your squad. The game is loved for the story and the characters. And I think Lasengle knows that. That's actually the reason why they're dragging out the story and dragging it out like Nasu is incapable of writing a sequel - Part 3.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pokesamus217 View Post
    Very bold to assume that the Foreigner chapter isn’t gonna be as mandatory as the other ones.
    It's simple. We complete three trials and the way to the Chaldeas is open. But Romani appears and says that Olga is alive and we can save her in the last trial. The Guda turns around and runs into the fourth trial.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily Emilio View Post

Houkai 3rd stuff
    Lily, Houkai 3rd's app rating was not just because of the insane squeeze, info dump and meta units. Players in China accepted that the MC plays no part in the main storyline and the fact that they dump so much cash on a game that turned from having the player have some role in to a clown and take a back seat, then all of a sudden he has a part to play. The writers' failure to take a stand and all the above factors were the main problem.

As for LB7, I had fun, but the obvious asspull reason given for Ordeal Call suck ass as it shows less of Marisbilly outplaying Novum Chaldea and making Chaldeas the foundation of humanity and thus defended by Human Order, but more on how the latter is an ungrateful bastard. Sure, it might be that it is objective, but from the players POV, HO isn't worth the trouble after this stunt. Not to forget how the business decision made to bait players roll extra class by mostly introducing them.
    Last edited by rxrx; April 4th, 2023 at 02:28 AM.

JP Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by rxrx View Post
    Lily, Houkai 3rd's app rating was not just because of the insane squeeze, info dump and meta units. Players in China accepted that the MC plays no part in the main storyline and the fact that they dump so much cash on a game that turned from having the player have some role in to a clown and take a back seat, then all of a sudden he has a part to play. The writers' failure to take a stand and all the above factors were the main problem.
    I am aware. However I don't think it is the main problem and people blown it out of proportion. The Captain is even more of a self insert than FGO's Guda and has zero presence in the entire story up until that point, which is true. However the finale are pretty much about every single human in the multiverse doing a spiritbomb to destroy the boss' infinite shields. So the Captain joining it doesn't contradict with anything. He did his job as the pilot of the ship, then hey take my energy like the rest of humanity. I'd say it would be weird if every single human in the multiverse contributes and not the MC.

If the MC suddenly walks out and join the combat, starts ordering the Valks around like he's Guda then that would have been a problem of inconsistent writing, but he didn't. The end scene is basically a meta tribute to all players playing the game, than what we have with Guda where they tried to change the character from a self-insert to an actual character midway through the game's storyline. So no I wouldn't complain about the Captain case, and in fact I am glad they stick to him being a pure self insert till the end than half-assing. Whether people are happy with his contribution to the finale or not is their personal opinions, and I don't think it is the decisive factor like you think it is. The horribly rushed story and the release of powercreep and meta units one after another are the major issues.

US Friend Code
    I'd like to ask about Honkai Lily Emilio, any guesses as to why would Mihoyo cram that much plot into single chapter, which clearly hurt the pacing, for the climax of Honkai? Is it a tight schedule? Unable to split the chapter? Deadline? I'm curious since I feel the reception wouldn't be that awful if they took their time on that part.