Thread: Regarding Machine Translations (they're not allowed)

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries

Regarding Machine Translations (they're not allowed)

From hereon forth (2023/03/27~), we will no longer be allowing machine translated works on this sub-forum. It has never been much of an issue, but as a precaution we will implement this new measure.

There are a few things to note about this arrangement:

1. committing this offense will amount to a warning, and the offending post will be deleted or have its offending content erased.
    2. this rules applies to any machine translations, which also includes those that have been edited by a human post-facto.
    3. we will not apply any penal action retroactively, but may delete, or alter posts which contain machine translations regardless of their date of posting.

Please understand that this only applies to this sub-forum. If you need to use machine translations to, for example, quickly make a point about an excerpt of text, or simply to communicate in general, it carries absolutely no risk to post. The intent of this rule is for comprehensive, ordinary translation projects posted on this forum to be (as far as is possible) guaranteed to not be machine translations.

Thank you for your cooperation.
    Last edited by Petrikow; March 27th, 2023 at 03:15 PM.

I don't want to sound disrespectful, but why? Is it to avoid misinformation? Or just because it's useless to post machine translation since anybody can use MTL anyway?

I'm not against it, just want to know the reasoning behind this rule.
    Last edited by Mementore; March 27th, 2023 at 03:20 PM.

Because we have a fanfics subforum for that kind of thing.

Blog Entries
    If you have to ask, that alone betrays a critical lack of understanding as to why machine translation is innately flawed and will remain as such indefinitely. I don't like using the word "ignorance" because it always feels needlessly loaded, but suffice to say that if you aren't aware of how much more to translation there is than algorithmically referencing a dictionary, I can't really think of a better one.

Fate\last call
    night, dawn, and the birth of stars

╘══════════════════╕
    Characters
    Dictionary
    Poll
    Recent: Ch. ■
    next arc: Spring 2024

Quote Originally Posted by Leftovers View Post
    Because we have a fanfics subforum for that kind of thing.
    In fact there's precedent!

https://forums.nrvnqsr.com/showthrea...lly-translated
    https://forums.nrvnqsr.com/showthrea...the-Holy-Night

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mementore View Post
    I don't want to sound disrespectful, but why? Is it to avoid misinformation? Or just because it's useless to post machine translation since anybody can use MTL anyway?

I'm not against it, just want to know the reasoning behind this rule.
    The reason are manifold, and some of the things you've listed is part of it.
    Yes, we think machine translations are inherently unreliable and unworthy of being called proper translations.
    Yes, we think people who do desire the functionality of machine translations can just use them on their own without there being a need for it to spread.

If there is something you haven't touched upon it's the stigma of machine translation. We don't want BL's translation forum to be known for machine translation as that inherently will fester an environment where people feel unsure what is and isn't reliable. Not all translations are good, nor are all translators reliable, but at the very least, you can hold them accountable much more so than you can a machine.

Understandable, thanks you all for explaining.