Thread: [FGO Concept Discussion] Galahad

Post [FGO Concept Discussion] Galahad

Forgive me if this is a bit unorganized or any less appealing to read. This is my first time using any kind of forum and using something with this type of format.

I'm posting this because I'm very curious how Fate has handled Galahad in terms of his power/skill, and I know the fandom can be very insightful with this kind of stuff so I feel like it's appropriate for me to come here and ask around if anyone would give me the time of day. While I haven't exactly read the Vulgate and Post-Vulgate Cycle, Galahad is a character I've always liked both in his myth and Fate adaptation—albeit the latter mostly because of how little there is revealed. Whether it's his kit as a servant, his skill in combat, or pitting him against other servants, I'd be more than happy to read whatever anyone is willing to explain and break down to me. I can try my best to get involved but I'm extremely ignorant to the workings of Fate, even to the bare minimum.

But anyways, that's my first post I guess. If I'm doing anything weirdly, do tell in the thread please.

Thank you. :marie:

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle Ubergeneral's Avatar
    Galahad was always the knight that got the holy grail. It's not suprise that he eventully makes an appearence. That said not much is known about him since he's in the body of mash, or at least he's giving her power to make her a servant.

The bigger question is what exactly is a shielder and what is its significance. Is this something that more servants can be or if mash truly the only shielder. Maybe ordeal call will shed light on this.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubergeneral View Post
    The bigger question is what exactly is a shielder and what is its significance. Is this something that more servants can be or if mash truly the only shielder. Maybe ordeal call will shed light on this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fate/Apocrypha material - Rider of "Red" [Servant]
    Additionally, besides the Rider class, Achilles has aptitude as a Lancer, Berserker and, quite unusually, a Shielder. His complement of Noble Phantasms is slightly different in each of the other classes. For instance, as a Lancer, he would lose his chariot since it is his Noble Phantasm as a Rider, but his spear would gain the secondary effect of causing HP reduction.
    It's just another class.

As for Galahad, we actually know quite a lot about him. In fact, his Alter has already appeared in Fate/Requiem.

In terms of his abilities, we have a few definitive facts. Firstly, he has Mana Defence, which Mash inherited from him. This allows him to convert his excess magical energy into defensive values - basically, it's a force field. We don't know what Rank it is, but we know that in theory, the skill Mana Defence would allow a Servant to protect an entire country if they had enough magical energy. Of course, spirits who are on the scale of countries are generally Divine Spirits (i.e. gods), so it's very unlikely Galahad himself is capable of doing this without frankly ridiculous levels of external support.

We know this is unlikely from context as well because, according to Bedivere, Galahad is not exceptional in combat compared to the other Knights of the Round Table. It was his judge of character and mental strength, rather than his actual power, that made him stand out. Lord Camelot reflects this - the principle behind it is that the shield will not fall as long as the one holding it has the determination to protect whatever is behind it. The anime adaptations like to portray this as an attack reflector, which I think kind of detracts from the point, but who knows how real that's supposed to be.

In terms of his mentality, it's actually quite likely that there are some cracks in the flawless exterior that people don't tend to notice. He holds grudges against his father, for example, and he's a messy bitch towards Fujimaru and Mash throughout all of Part 2. It's also actually possible to summon him as an Alter - something that could never be done for likes of Marie Antoinette and Jeanne d'Arc because of their sheer purity. Galahad does seem to have some inner darkness, although apparently even that inner darkness basically just interprets him as a tsundere with a penchant for worldly pleasures and casual misogyny.

Of course, it's not like he's weak. Knights of the Round Table are all top tier guys, and I suspect Galahad's defensive powers are on par with - or perhaps even greater than - St George's. If we found out tomorrow that Galahad once soloed a Grail War, I wouldn't be surprised even slightly.

Fate\last call
    night, dawn, and the birth of stars

╘══════════════════╕
    Characters
    Dictionary
    Poll
    Recent: Ch. ■
    next arc: Spring 2024

US Friend Code
    Merlin on the kind of person Galahad is:

Quote Originally Posted by Pamphlet that came with Camelot 2 movie
    You're saying we're the guardians of Human Order?

Well, I'm sorry, but that's just not true.

I'm not a guardian, and he's not a guardian, either.

Because he is knight of heaven who gave up the Holy Grail himself.

He was one of the few people who had 'served his purpose' while he was still alive.

Well, it looks like he still had some leftover feelings and opinions,

so he can be established as a heroic spirit, right?

He will not help humanity. There is no need for him to help humanity.

Selfless and disinterested.

The ultimate in purity and cleanliness.

In a way, he's the most heartless man I've ever met.

How will he be involved in your journey?

You could say this is one of the things worth seeing,

a highlight of the Grand Order concerning Human Order.

Oh I'm looking forward to it, I'm looking forward to it so much!

I wonder what's going to happen?

Will he be good or will he be evil?

As an observer, I'll be anxious to see the birth of a knight that no one has seen yet!

"Fou-fou-fou-fou" (Special translation: Spiral Merlin Crusher!)
    I think Galalter talks a little bit about what normal Galahad is like in Requiem but Coggy's TL hasn't gotten to that part yet.
    Last edited by Reign; April 4th, 2023 at 07:04 AM.

Blog Entries
    I'll be anxious to see the birth of a knight that no one has seen yet!
    This snippet always stood out to me. My natural instinct is to interpret it as "Merlin does not acknowledge Galahad as a knight", which is interesting.

Fate\last call

╘══════════════════╕
    Characters
    Dictionary
    Poll

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    according to Bedivere, Galahad is not exceptional in combat compared to the other Knights of the Round Table.
    As far as I'm aware, this is an unsourced statement from the Type-Moon wiki. The only statement about Galahad's prowess from Bedivere, that I recall, comes from Section 6 of the Camelot Singularity.
    貴方にその宝具を預けた騎士は、それほど特別な騎士なのです。最も強き騎士、最も堅き騎士、最も猛き騎士
    Which is roughly something like "The strongest knight, the hardiest knight, the fiercest knight--". This is mistranslated in NA into the "strongest, wisest, bravest knight".

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I'm not sure how, even mistranslated, that would amount to "not the strongest" when it literally says strongest right there in the NA version too.
    Last edited by Petrikow; April 4th, 2023 at 03:33 PM.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, I was looking at the script on Tri-Hermes, saw it in the TL'd context, and took "strongest" in the sense of mentality since that's what everything else was. The original Japanese, looking at it, is obviously not talking about that even by my eye.

Fate\last call

╘══════════════════╕
    Characters
    Dictionary
    Poll

Quote Originally Posted by Petrikow View Post
    I'm not sure how, even mistranslated, that would amount to "not the strongest" when it literally says strongest right there in the NA version too.
    It probably comes from the line afterwards, which says this:
    Bedivere: The only one who chose to take pride in a spiritual and mindful path rather than one of strength and martial prowess.
    The people on the wiki most likely looked at that and thought that Galahad can't be strong because he focused on the spiritual path, despite the 2 not being mutually exclusive.

Anyways, between the 3 disputed strongest KOTR, Galahad probably has the best claim due to him being compared to Solomon and how his myth is a super big deal and everyone treats him like the archetypal best heroic spirit.
    Dr. Roman: The Heroic Spirit within you was chosen by the Holy Grail! He's a Heroic Spirit who won't be outranked by Solomon!
    Bonus points if you take Moonlight/Lostroom's trippy dream sequence seriously where he manhandles a bunch of servants.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by K1rk View Post
    The people on the wiki most likely looked at that and thought that Galahad can't be strong because he focused on the spiritual path, despite the 2 not being mutually exclusive.
    I can't speak on their behalf, but I came to the same conclusion because of "rather than" implying that he didn't gun for the martial path.

Of course, since the NA TL is Certified Bad, it's probably doesn't give so decisive a dichotomy in Japanese, especially given what the line prior looked like.

Fate\last call

╘══════════════════╕
    Characters
    Dictionary
    Poll

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    it's probably doesn't give so decisive a dichotomy in Japanese, especially given what the line prior looked like.
    それぞれ誇るものが違う円卓において、
    ただひとり武を誇らず、精神の在り方を示した騎士。
    "Among the Round Table, where all took pride in different things, he is the only knight who didn't pride himself in the martial, preferring to exemplify a proper mentality."

Seems to be about the same gist.

I wouldn't put this on NA. The usual culprit is TM wikia editors. Who would've thought?

Blog Entries
    how did we even get on the subject of the wiki

Fate\last call

╘══════════════════╕
    Characters
    Dictionary
    Poll

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    how did we even get on the subject of the wiki
    Quote Originally Posted by Nafaalilargus View Post
    As far as I'm aware, this is an unsourced statement from the Type-Moon wiki. The only statement about Galahad's prowess from Bedivere, that I recall, comes from Section 6 of the Camelot Singularity.
    貴方にその宝具を預けた騎士は、それほど特別な騎士なのです。最も強き騎士、最も堅き騎士、最も猛き騎士
    Which is roughly something like "The strongest knight, the hardiest knight, the fiercest knight--". This is mistranslated in NA into the "strongest, wisest, bravest knight".
    This