Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: John Maynard Keynes (Miss Canary Islands 1936) presents SHEEP WHO ARE DEFINITELY NOT WOLVES™: A Game for Children and Investment Bankers

Blog Entries

John Maynard Keynes (Miss Canary Islands 1936) presents SHEEP WHO ARE DEFINITELY NOT WOLVES™: A Game for Children and Investment Bankers

No, no, let's do this properly now. Let's be serious.

The SHEEP game is older than you know. I prefer counting from the emergence of one integral anomaly to the emergence of the next, in which case this is the sixth version.

Quote Originally Posted by the sixth version
    Welcome to the game of Sheep. It's simple. I'll list a number of categories. Anyone who wants to play just PMs me a list containing an element from each category. When I've gotten enough responses, I'll tally up the submissions. You get a point for every other person who gave your answer. The winner is whoever has the most points when we've tallied all the questions.
    Naturally, your answers should be private. Don't go asking each other what answers you gave.

Example:

1. Name a fruit.

Leo: Apple.
    Strife: Apple.
    Five: Apple.
    Bridge: Banana.
    Kirby: Strawberry.

Leo and Strife and Five would each get 2 points, because two other people picked the same answer. Bridge and Kirby would get 0, since they were forever alone.
    The first was quite naturally perfect; it was a work of art, flawless, sublime. A triumph equaled only by its monumental failure.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    A Keynesian beauty contest is a concept developed by John Maynard Keynes and introduced in Chapter 12 of his work, The General Theory of Employment, Interest and Money (1936), to explain price fluctuations in equity markets. It describes a beauty contest where judges are rewarded for selecting the most popular faces among all judges, rather than those they may personally find the most attractive.

Keynes described the action of rational agents in a market using an analogy based on a fictional newspaper contest, in which entrants are asked to choose the six most attractive faces from a hundred photographs. Those who picked the most popular faces are then eligible for a prize.

• A naive strategy would be to choose the face that, in the opinion of the entrant, is the most handsome.
    • A more sophisticated contest entrant, wishing to maximize the chances of winning a prize, would think about what the majority perception of attractiveness is, and then make a selection based on some inference from their knowledge of public perceptions.
    • This can be carried one step further to take into account the fact that other entrants would each have their own opinion of what public perceptions are.
    • Thus the strategy can be extended to the next order and the next and so on, at each level attempting to predict the eventual outcome of the process based on the reasoning of other rational agents.

"It is not a case of choosing those [faces] that, to the best of one's judgment, are really the prettiest, nor even those that average opinion genuinely thinks the prettiest. We have reached the third degree where we devote our intelligences to anticipating what average opinion expects the average opinion to be. And there are some, I believe, who practice the fourth, fifth and higher degrees." (Keynes, General Theory of Employment, Interest and Money, 1936).

Keynes believed that similar behavior was at work within the stock market. This would have investors pricing shares not based on what they think an asset's fundamental value is, or even on what investors think other investors believe about the asset's value, but on what they think other investors believe is the average opinion about the value of the asset, or even higher-order assessments.
    So true. But how do we design a competition that can somehow determine if you're just YOLOing the choice, or if you are indeed using the real galaxy brain techniques? How many levels of inference are you on?

SHEEP WHO ARE DEFINITELY NOT WOLVES™

This game is at once simpler and more complex than SHEEP as you know it. The questions, for one thing, are better. But how do you make questions better? By restricting the space of possible replies...maybe. That is only one way, a very easy way to do it. But there are others.

Consider a question like this.

Who is the best girl in Fate/Stay Night?

Brutal in its simplicity. Yet with an infinity of possible answers. But what if I now say to you - this question you must answer, not once, but twice.

Give two answers to this question. Answer
    [1] what you actually think, and
    [2] what you expect most people will answer for [1].

This game, unlike SHEEP, is not designed to test how much of a normie you are. It is designed to test how good you are at predicting the responses of normies. Which SHEEP also does, incidentally, but this does it better.

Your score is the number of people OTHER THAN YOU whose answer to [1] you predicted in your answer to [2] minus the number of people OTHER THAN YOU who predicted your answer to [1] in their answer to [2].

To give an example. Suppose that I answer:

[1] Himuro Kane.
    [2] Archer [EMIYA].

Now let's suppose that the aggregate results from the board look like this:

22 total participants. Answered [1] Himuro Kane. (3 total) Answered [1] Archer [EMIYA]. (19 total)
    Answered [2] Himuro Kane. (5 total) 1 4
    Answered [2] Archer [EMIYA]. (17 total) 2 15

I predicted with my [2] that the most popular answer to [1] would be Archer, and 19 people (none of whom is me) answered as I predicted. So I get 19 points. But five people other than me predicted that the most popular answer to [1] would be Himuro Kane, and that was my [1]. So I lose five points. I get 14 total. I am a godlike predictor with refined taste.

Now let's suppose I was one of the people who just put Archer [EMIYA] in both slots. Well, 18 people (not including myself) answered [1] as I predicted, so I get 18 points. But 16 people (not including myself either) predicted my answer to [1] so I lose 16 points and end up with 2. I am a shitter but relatively OK.

The point giveaway looks like this.

22 total participants. Answered [1] Himuro Kane. (3 total) Answered [1] Archer [EMIYA]. (19 total)
    Answered [2] Himuro Kane. (5 total) 1 person who predicted 2 others and was predicted by 4 others. Score = 2-4 = -2 points. 4 people who each predicted 3 others and were each predicted by 17 others. Score = 3-17 = -14 points.
    Answered [2] Archer [EMIYA]. (17 total) 2 people who each predicted 19 others and were each predicted by 5 others. Score = 19-5 = 14 points. 15 people who each predicted 18 others and were each predicted by 16 others. Score = 18-16 = 2 points.

As you can see, the people in the lower left square are very good at predicting what others will do, but are themselves difficult to predict. Therefore they get a lot of points. The people in the upper right square are godawful at predicting what's popular, but are themselves normies, so they end up with negative points. Remember the equation:

Your Score = Nplayers (not including you) whose [1] == your [2] - Nplayers (not including you) whose [2] == your [1]

The winners of this contest are those who understand others, but do not allow themselves to be understood. They are like Akagi. You like Akagi, don't you? I still don't understand the rules of mahjong. I think it's pretty good.

With all that out of the way, these are the questions.

I. Which seiyuu's performance in any voiced Type-Moon work, or voiced adaptation thereof, do you rate the highest?
    II. What is the greatest fight scene in any Type-Moon story?
    III. Which long-promised TM product would you most like to see realised?
    IV. Who is the best antagonist in any TM IP?
    V. Have you actually read the VN? (Any of them?)
    VI. For how many years have you been a Beast's Lair user?
    VII. When will FGO finally end?

Give two answers to each question:
    [1] what you actually think, and
    [2] what you expect most people will give as their answer to [1].

In submission you can format these answers like III.1, III.2, and so on.

Send answers to me via PM. Answers will close on Tuesday April 4 at 0400 hours UTC. Any PMs received after that point will not be counted.

May the best wolf sheep win.
    Last edited by Dullahan; April 1st, 2023 at 09:17 AM.
    かん
    ぎゅう
    じゅう
    とう

Expresses the exceeding size of one's library.
    Books are extremely many, loaded on an oxcart the ox will sweat.
    At home piled to the ridgepole of the house, from this meaning.
    Read out as 「Ushi ni ase shi, munagi ni mitsu.」
    Source: 柳宗元「其為書,處則充棟宇,出則汗牛馬。」— Tang Dynasty

I would simply lie about [1], OP.

Well, not me, but Raff will, the desperate man he is.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftovers View Post
    I would simply lie about [1], OP.

Well, not me, but Raff will, the desperate man he is.
    I predicted this and designed the questions accordingly.
    かん
    ぎゅう
    じゅう
    とう

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Neat. This is already what happens in Sheep but having it laid out like this is an interesting twist. I’m in.
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

US Friend Code
    This seems fun, however, what’s to stop us from giving absurd answers in an attempt to hoard points (EG who is best girl in FSN? Justeaze von Einzbern)? Are we just using an honor system?

IMO, a better way to implement point deductions in this sort of game would be by blacklisting a particular answer (for example either the top one gives negative points or a particular undisclosed answer does. EG who is best girl in FSN? The three people who answer Rin get -2 points).

JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    But what if everyone predicts that and answers Shinji for best girl? That's when you start the real gaming.
    canon finish apo vol 3

US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    But what if everyone predicts that and answers Shinji for best girl? That's when you start the real gaming.
    While that sounds good in theory, I feel like it won’t hold up if people give nonsensical/out-there answers as opposed to controversial ones. Maybe multiple choice questions would be more appropriate… we will have to wait and see

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Dull, I appreciate your ongoing efforts to make everything too ponderous by half but this math feels like way too much trouble to go through for lulz.

But since it's not me doing it, I'm in.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
    way too much trouble to go through for lulz
    Having fun isn't hard when you've got a library card.

Fate\last call
    night, dawn, and the birth of stars

╘══════════════════╕
    Characters
    Dictionary
    Poll
    Recent: Ch. ■
    next arc: Spring 2024

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle Nanashi(kari)'s Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    I'm not reading all that but I'm going to answer anyway.
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
    My opinion is better than your opinion, so it isn't up for debate. Much like Daybit, I am simply correct, and that is the end of the discussion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gosserbam View Post
    I am not a shitposter at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrikow View Post
    Impressive argument.

Mine, however, is superior: you are dumb.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevkraken View Post
    And you want to be taken seriously?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubergeneral View Post
    The planet is on fire.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirishima View Post
    GOT DICK? ANY PENIS? COCK DONATIONS?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeOfEden View Post
    While that sounds good in theory, I feel like it won’t hold up if people give nonsensical/out-there answers as opposed to controversial ones. Maybe multiple choice questions would be more appropriate… we will have to wait and see
    There is no 'hard' solution to that, only the construction of questions which have a relatively limited set of feasible answers. But of course - a real gamer, which here means a Liar Game or One Outs character, should be able to predict it.
    かん
    ぎゅう
    じゅう
    とう

Blog Entries
    Tick tock, sheeple. There are 24 hours remaining to get your answers in.
    かん
    ぎゅう
    じゅう
    とう

Blog Entries
    キーンコーン

Voting has now Closed. No more wolfsheep will be accepted, or will be permitted.

Please wait warmly while answers are tabulated.
    かん
    ぎゅう
    じゅう
    とう

Blog Entries
    Scores have now been added up. After a whole lot of stupid fuckin' math we have reduced your worth as a human to one significant figure.

TomPen94 Nanashi(kari) BladeOfEden Mattias Comun Rafflesiac Ratman
    2 -3 2 -7 -2 4 -4

In a shocking development, Raff managed to win. He is the best at predicting the answers of others while remaining, himself, unpredictable. A master of disguise. A wolf in sheep's clothing. Don't trust him.

He achieved this, however, by claiming to be a non-VN-reading casual while predicting (rightly) that others would never stoop so low. And also by correctly guessing that people like Kirei more than Roa, while himself putting Archer down for IV.1 - which I admit I was hoping someone would do, because I deliberately used 'antagonist' rather than 'villain' to leave that possibility open. So really who is the winner? Nobody. Thank you for playing.

You are all a lot worse at predicting other people than I anticipated - which means in turn that I myself am even worse than you. How - sheepish - I must feel. Are there no true gamers among us?

We had some bullshit answers - which were dealt with accordingly - and some cases in which the question was not understood. E.g. "Whatever Niinou is cooking with Studio BB" is not a "long-promised TM product" because it is not a product but a deictic term. And even if it was a product, Studio BB is only a few years old, so whatever it has "promised" since foundation in 2019 clearly cannot be "long-promised", especially not under present TM operating timescales. "NP skip in FGO" is also not a product, but a feature. And I don't believe "Land of Steel" - by which I assume you mean a Notes adaptation or remake or something - was ever promised by TM. I didn't want to make this multiple choice but if you're going to be like that I might have to.

Quantitative answers proved more troublesome than I had hoped. Alas...

I would post the complete answer spreadsheet, but none of them are particularly funny, so it'll be best if you just imagine what the others said. Actually, that's a lie: it is very amusing to me that three people picked Kawasumi Ayako for I.2, but nobody actually picked her for I.1. Isn't it sad, Saber?

Code:
    ## I.1
    - Kanemoto Ryousuke (TomPen94)
    - Tomokazu Seki (Nanashi(kari))
    - Kumi Sakuma (BladeOfEden)
    - Sakamoto Maaya (Mattias)
    - Nakata Jouji (Comun)
    - Ohtsuka Akio (Rafflesiac)
    - Hitomi (Ratman)

## II.1
    - Shirou v Archer UBW (TomPen94)
    - Shiki v Akiha Kohaku (Nanashi(kari))
    - Nine Bullet Revolver (Mattias)
    - Shirou v Kotomine HF (Comun)
    - Shirou v Gil UBW (Rafflesiac)
    - Sparks Liner High (Ratman)
    - Saber v Pitching Machine (BladeOfEden)
    I note with interest that these were the only questions for which everyone had completely unique answers. This is good, because it means you're playing as intended.

Next time what we really need is like 100 people to do this, so we can get really statistically significant results.
    Last edited by Dullahan; April 4th, 2023 at 01:34 AM.
    かん
    ぎゅう
    じゅう
    とう

JP Friend Code
    nonexistant
    I thought you'd slowly roll out the answers for cool drama points.
    Honestly I had no idea what I was doing I just answered sincerely to both versions of each question.
    burn your dread you coward

US Friend Code
    Even with FGO baseball on the brain, I still stand by my answer 100%

So cute I love her

Blog Entries
    I don't believe in drama, I believe in stupid bullshit.
    かん
    ぎゅう
    じゅう
    とう

JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    I am simply the strongest.
    canon finish apo vol 3

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    noooo i forgot to enter

god dammit
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.