Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4567811 ... LastLast

Thread: (Bi)Monthly Don't-Create-A-Servant Contest

...I know no cure for evil. DracoScribe's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I know I didn't participate but I'd still like to say congrats to the winners.
    I wasn't able to think of any ideas despite the amazing primer from You for the contest (seriously that alone made me want to join in on.the contest but gah my muse refused to cooperate) and I wasn't able to read all the sheets in time to cast a vote, so I'm really hoping next time that, if I can't think of an idea for the next contest, I'll at least be able give my votes.
    Author of:
    Persona 5: Refraction (SV link; FF.net link)
    "You didn't have to fight for me, you know." "And you didn't have to curl your hair so we'll look even more alike." Ren stared before he softly chuckled, Akira joining him not long after. With one simple decision as a child, Ren Amamiya goes to Tokyo alongside his little sister, Akira. (P5R Sibling AU) (Ren/Ann, Akechi/Fem!Akira)
    Chapter 55 on: April 24, 2024 (GMT +8:00)
    Velvet Throne
    My list of my Servants! Still small for now.

Congrats Zikari! As much as it stings a little to be the only entry not to get a single vote, there were so many good entries that I can't be too upset. Amazing work, everyone, and thanks in particular to everyone who commented on my entry! I'm glad that my work was enjoyable, and I've got some really helpful feedback as well! Looking forward to the next contest!

Blog Entries
    Muahahaha, once again, I have reclaimed my crown. I am now without doubt the master of making magi. Bow before me, peasants, and bask before my prolific majesty!

In seriousness, I would like to thank everyone for their kind words and votes. This month’s entries were all creative and well-done in their own ways, and though mine happened to barely edge out with the most votes, I can confidently say that each and every entry deserves praise and accolade for the work and thought put into them.

I’m a little late to say this, but I can’t stress enough how happy I am to see MCaM (or rather its successor MDCaS) back and receive such great submissions. Because of that, I’d like to give some unwarranted reviews to every entry as I believe each and every one deserves to be looked at with care. Of course, my opinion is just that and holds basically no weight, but if you’d like to know my brief thoughts on the sheets submitted this time around, feel free to peruse below.

Allerleirauh by PA270
    It takes a lot of courage to be the first to submit their sheet for a contest and then even more courage to go for a non-magus sheet. For that alone, Allerleirauh garners a lot of respect from me.

On its own, I certainly think it’s an interesting Mystic Code with some cool abilities and concepts tied to it. It not only feels fitting for the Zoology department but the incorporation of Nrvnqsr into a Zoological Mystic Code is also an inspired idea. What I am less impressed by, however, are the details surrounding the Mystic Code. How it connects to the Taxemic family which uses it feels hollow.

For example, we know that the Taxemics are the previous heads of the Zoology Department before the Gaiuslink, but we are also told that their Mystic Code was not on a level worthy of a Supreme Mystic Code yet, which suggests that the family themselves were not on the level of a Department Head. How then were they able to be the heads of the Zoology Department? At the same time, the name of the Mystic Code references the Brothers Grimm and the sheet specifically mentions that it was particularly based on that fairy tale, but the Grimm fairy tales are from the 18th to 19th centuries. The fact that the Mystic Code is named after it makes it seem like it was made at least around the time of the fairy tale or even later. Are we to believe then that such a recently created Mystic Code could be the pride of the family and the symbol of their Lordship? Of course, these are ultimately minor details which could be explained, but when taken at face value, they give the impression that the Taxemics are a relatively weak and young family, which makes it difficult to believe that they stand among the twelve most powerful families in the Clock Tower.

A familial Mystic Code is ideally a representation of the magus family that wields it. Even more so for something as significant as a Supreme Mystic Code. It is something that generations have put their blood, sweat, and tears into and thus should represent the pride, troubles, and legacy of that family. In comparison, Allerleirauh tells us little about the Taxemics. Worse, what it does tell us seems to contradict what the rest of the sheet tells us. That’s why, while I think it’s a cool magic item, I can’t consider it an excellent Mystic Code. That is what I consider the biggest flaw of this sheet.

To add, I should also mention the use of canon characters in the sheet. This isn’t a bad thing. If anything, it should strengthen a sheet’s connection to canon and make it feel like even more like a part of the world. Here though I feel like it’s too shallow and instead leaves an unsatisfying feeling to their inclusion. What a canon character brings with recognition, it equally demands with expectation. Because readers are already familiar with canon characters and their backgrounds, when something about them is mentioned outside of the things we are already familiar with, it gives the readers pause. For example, because we know who Lio is pretty well, it’s harder for us to swallow the existence of a brother out of nowhere. A proper explanation of how this sudden addition relates to what we already know is needed to help readers swallow that pill easily. Otherwise, it just feels jarring and unsatisfying like it currently does.

Having said all this, I want to make it clear that I don’t actually dislike this sheet. I wanted to give you a detailed review because I see how much potential there is here and how great it can be with just a little extra polishing. A fantastic try PA270 and I expect even greater things to come
    Noe Crivelli by GilgameshKingofMemes
    A really well put together sheet. I feel like the motivations and circumstances that led to Noe’s metamorphosis were well explained and the technical aspects behind the Crivelli magecraft and how it led Noe to becoming what they are is stupendously well-done. It shows not only the writer’s practiced knowledge of working within the system of Nasuverse magecraft but also creativity and a strong vision of exactly what vibe one wants to convey. It need not even be said that the skilled use of images in the sheet enhances it threefold. All-around well done.
    Sveinn Herydir Dragilaz by Random
    I think you’ve woven quite the interesting story here and your efforts in doing so can be clearly seen. A lot of different characters and elements are spun together into the narrative web that all leads up to Sveinn’s decision, making it all the more powerful when it happens. Unfortunately, because there are so many elements, the sheet feels stretched thin and scattered. Every colorful detail we learn about the assortment of characters ends up distracting from the core story and makes it that much easier to get confused, when one is already struggling with the alinear storytelling. Even now having read the whole thing, there are parts I’m still not sure what they mean or how they connect to the core narrative. A trimmed down scope may have served this sheet better overall.
    Abiothales by Salt Pillar
    I struggled a lot with deciding which sheet would be my top pick out of the several fantastic entries this contest, but I ultimately decided on Abiothales for the sole reason that it stuck in my mind the most out of all the sheets. The vignettes that comprise the sheet are rich with character and atmosphere, capable of painting a vivid picture of the figures involved and the bonds they’ve established with so little words. What I must also praise is how much variety there is in the different types of narratives told, sometimes testimonies, sometimes dialogue, sometimes straight exposition. It keeps the sheet fresh when it can be so easy to otherwise be exhausted by the constant jumping between points. Where the sheet clearly slips up, though, is the ending. It fails to land its punchline, the conclusion of Abiothales’s journey, and it evidently shows. Even then, I still think it’s an excellent sheet and deserves all the praise given to it.
    Cryptomorph Shipping by FarewelltoMrA
    Cryptids as junk data is a really smart and fun idea. I really like it. Not thoroughly developed, but I also think there’s an elegance to the short and succinct. The one area where I think the sheet falls, though, is that it barely engages with the prompt. I believe an exploration of how the pursuit of Cryptids could tie into the expulsion of the family could’ve enhanced the idea even further and tied it better to the rest of the world.
    Fidelco Redoloc by Morg van Destro
    Before anything else, I should mention that I have not taken a single glance at the “traditional backstory” within the Author’s Notes section. Since said notes states that the mystery is the point of the sheet, I have decided not to do so in order to experience it as presumably intended. With that said, I have to say that Fidelco is a really well put-together sheet. The vignettes and entries come together very nicely to build the mystery of the character. I like how lively and well-characterized both Fidelco and Beatrix are, while still retaining a mystery to them. My only piece of dissatisfaction is that I feel like the Fidelco’s magecraft isn’t explored enough to really bring the sheet home. While it could be argued explaining it more could spoil the mystery of the sheet, I feel like it could possibly actually enhance the mystery is done well. As it is now though, rather than questions, I feel left with a bit of nothingness when it comes to the Fidelco’s magecraft, which should be one of the main cornerstones of why he’s doing what he’s doing. Besides that, though, very well done.
    Brevig Gaiuslink Grottwader
    Out of every entry in the contest, I believe Brevig is the most “complete” sheet. Character, magecraft, background, every aspect of the sheet is executed solidly without flaw. Because of that, I sadly also have very little to say about it. One thing I do want to praise is how naturally I felt Lord El-melloi II was weaved into the Brevig’s background and downfall. A great example of how to include canon characters into one’s sheet. If I had to say more, I should point out that I am personally not a big fan of assumption magecraft, but that’s just out of subjective personal taste rather than any technical reasoning, though it may have factored into why Brevig didn’t get a vote despite being so good.
    Mereidwyn by Bugs
    Atmospheric, emotional, lovely. A fantastic sheet with a genuine Nasuverse flavour. I am always a sucker for explorations of inhumanity and nature. For this, Mereidwyn was so close to being my top pick, but the one place I feel like the sheet could’ve done a bit more with is exploring her time and role as Lord in more depth. Her connection to her students, to the other Lords, to magecraft in general, I feel there was a lot there that could’ve been touched on just a little more without damaging the atmosphere of the sheet. As it is, her Lordship feels a little tacked on. Besides that, though, it’s a beautiful sheet that is able to strongly convey what it seeks to.

That’s all I have to say about this month’s entries. I look forward to even more amazing ideas next month. To that end, I promise to do my best and come up with a good prompt that can inspire even more creative ideas. See you all next time!

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Voting for July's prompt, thank you Zikari. Will go on for 6 days, ending on June 28th morning.
    https://strawpoll.com/polls/7rnzm5XeayO

Background information:

Tsuki Remake
    Ciel: "The year was around 300 AD.

This was the era when it's said that Dead Apostles were the most rampant in Europe.

Heretics bearing the curse of immortality: Dead Apostles.

The Church's mission was to turn their bodies back to human, or more accurately, to reduce them to dust by reverting them into corpses.

By reading the words of our Lord's great promulgations to them, sinners feel His love and depart from the earth."

Ciel: "They may look like blades, but they're actually prayers.

Sacraments of the Church, created with the lament for the dead; litanies, as their base.

Thinking about it from a Japanese perspective it's something like, let’s see... a sutra, I guess?"

Ciel: "But then, why do these 'prayers' take the form of blades?

And why are they called 'keys'?

For that, we need to talk about the long storied struggle between Executors and Dead Apostles." 「

Ciel: "Against Dead Apostles, you cannot expect ordinary weapons to have lethal effect.

A wound is something a Dead Apostle can restore through blood;

You cannot kill them by just trying to hack away and tear them apart.

In contrast, Executors are human, even if they can take some amount of punishment. As a result, they are overwhelmed in combat situations by this large difference in survival ability."

Ciel: "Indeed. The only effective strategy against Dead Apostles aren't attacks at a 'single point', but rather attacks at the 'whole surface'; to destroy them with overwhelming destructive force.

But back in that era, there weren't any armaments high-powered enough that they'd be capable of eradicating a Dead Apostle's body in a single strike.

The most effective measure was shutting them into a building or forest, setting it aflame together with everything around it, and then immolating them until their blood had all been used up.

However, if the Church was to do this each and every time, they'd ruin themselves."

Ciel: "So at the time, there was an individual hailed as the pinnacle of both swordsmen and presbyters, who proposed a weapon that was mass-producible, easy to transport, with immediate effectivity while keeping collateral
    to a minimum.

These were the Scriptural Weapons, of which Black Keys were the first...

Instead of trying to enchant things with anti-heresy properties by inscribing prayers onto them, they had the groundbreaking idea of instead turning the prayer itself into a weapon, and so render it a potent anti-heresy implement."

Ciel: "For those that have completely abandoned their humanity, of which Dead Apostles are most representative, being exterminated through words isn't possible.

This is because their souls are no longer capable of understanding the meaning of those words.

The ways of man are only applicable to man.

The words of the Lord won’t reach those that have become Dead Apostles."

Ciel: "Accordingly, what we do is not inscribe the prayers onto the soul, but onto the body, thus rewriting its rules into proper ones.

Though the polluted soul cannot be saved, at least the physical body can be turned back to human by these prayers...

Almost as if inserting a key into the empty door of undeath; opening it.

Dead Apostles that are struck by a Scriptural Weapon are compelled to 'remember' their body, even if only that part of them, and then terminate."

Ciel: "And that's the fundamental mechanism of Scriptural Weapons.

Black Keys were created back then, and were the first armament of their kind.

The part that looks like a handle is actually the cut-out page of a manuscript.

Executors use their own magical ene-- excuse me, prayer power, to harden it into the shape of a handle so they can carry it around with them.

During combat, they pour their magica-- excuse me, prayers into it, switching it over into Automatic Baptismal Mode. This 'baptism' piece just coincidentally happens to look like a blade, is all."

Ciel: "During the 9th century, Black Keys settled into the form of today, and were widely used, beloved as the greatest Scriptural Weapon of all.

Many throwing techniques were also developed:

Shadow Pinning, Time Skipping, the Plating Effect, the Cremation Rite, the Internment Rite, Conclave...

However... as far as weapon go, Black Keys are also unreliable, much like the bow and arrow; their effectiveness differs depending on the user's skill and magical energy levels."
    Last edited by You; June 22nd, 2023 at 11:45 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Um, am I blind? What's the prompt?

Blog Entries
    It's in the poll, but for ease of reference,

Prompt: In 300 AD, the Holy Church began developing weapons to combat Dead Apostles.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Blindness confirmed. I literally checked the poll twice and still missed it damn

Really cool prompt, one more reason to finish TsukiRe

Quote Originally Posted by zikari8 View Post
    Prompt: In 300 AD, the Holy Church began developing weapons to combat Dead Apostles.
    Ideas are already percolating! This is going to be a fun one!

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries

Quantum Thread Primer — Dead End Luminescent Bounding Sphere (2/6)

There is a reason why the former Heads of Zoology are known as
    Pattern Lost
    crestfallen

The First could not be allowed to exist, the Second were a disappointment, the Third sinned, and the Fourth gave up.

The Fourth exiled Head of Zoology questioned Mystery. In his despair, he found it to be an impossible dream.

An empire was built to study that Mystery and that wonder was lost.

His descendent, a product of that research questioned Mystery. In her despair, his descendent pledged herself to that lost dream.

Was she merely one link in a cycle, or was she the one to break that cycle?

The answer is meaningless. The question, ripe with present possibility, is the
    sheet
    answer
    one Seeker presented to the Giver of all Sealing Designations.

— Cidney Queensford, former heiress of Yahoo Park, has been designated as a First Representative of Mystery —

The words resound through the Carillon Observatory shaking the Ancient Heart which serves as the ceiling —

No, that was the earth itself crying.

“Report! The Calamity has invaded Magisfair! Over 30% of the Composite Workshop Criegula is facing existential collapse.”

Panicked chatter spreads through the Seekers of Carillon Observatory. Created by the Materials Branch of the Secret Autopsy Division, the Composite Workshop supplies the tools necessary to
    excavate
    strip bare
    the Pure Dragon Corpse. The end of the Composite Workshop is the end of the Spiritual Tomb Albion, and therefore the end of the Clock Tower.

It’s wrong to think that way. If the Spiritual Tomb has been infiltrated, it's likely the Twelve Departments have already been destroyed.

Anxiety and helplessness permeate the underground observatory, sending the Seekers into a frenzy. All except one, the very one who had discovered Cidney Queensford’s sheet in the archives.

Representative of Mystery. . . what exactly is a Representative of Mystery?

Queensford was certainly special, but so were many of the other sheets that had been found and presented. More importantly, the prompt itself was about the past of the Clock Tower. Was the Giver of All Sealing Designations attempting to create an eternal record of the Clock Tower that would survive
    World End
    the next five hours
    ?

The Second: In 300 AD, the Holy Church began developing weapons to combat Dead Apostles.

Nevermind.

☉座座座座座

If you were to ask a
    Mystile
    General Fundamentals
    freshman class the major possible divergences in the history of Magecraft, all of them except two would say the battle between Crimson Moon and Wizard Marshal Zelretch. Of the two, one would say the end of the Age of Gods and the final one would state, when pressed, that humans hold countless possibilities so every future, every moment is a possible divergence — we can only create the present. That kid gets assassinated or end up going down in the annals of the Clock Tower.

Either way, the centuries-old conflict between the Dead Apostles and magi culminated with the defeat of the Crimson Moon. The period after that time is known as the Winter of Magecraft. Having depleted talent and resources in that war against the Dead Apostle threat, the Clock Tower was unprepared for the rise of the Holy Church. Fueled by religious vigor and unstable power vacuums, the Holy Church established the most widespread Magic Foundation and took up the hunt for the Dead Apostle remnants.

Against Dead Apostles, ordinary weapons are not lethal. One can think of Dead Apostles and Magi as the same type of creatures, beings who utilize Mystery. A Dead Apostle is a higher level of Mystery than a magus who is still fundamentally human. The blood of a Dead Apostle is comprised of or contains Ether. They can easily heal most wounds. Thus, the only effective way to destroy a Dead Apostle is to continuously eradicate them with a single blow until they run out of blood. During the peak of Dead Apostle activity in the Fourth Centaury, this required what we consider a set piece moment: a burning ship, being thrown into a volcano, trapped in a hall of mirrors reflecting the sunlight from all directions, etc. To lure a Dead Apostle into such conditions and then to execute the plan cost the Church too many lives to be sustainable.

Rather than trying to enchant weapons with anti-heresy properties with prayers, liturgy itself was turned into a conceptual weapon. The laws inscribed in that liturgy are inserted into the undying flesh, compelling the flesh to remember its human form and therefore be harmed. This was the newest approach against the Dead Apostles whose souls were no longer human and therefore could not understand the word of God.

Three approaches against the Dead Apostles from the most widespread Magic Foundation in the world: Scriptural Weapons, whole surface, and inscribing prayers on weapons, which of these is the Representative of Mystery, the Archivist has stored and the Giver of All Sealing Designation seeks?

座座座座座座

Representative of Mystery . . . the culmination of magecraft quantified by the Carillon Observatory that represents the level of mystery in the modern era. With its dying breath, the Observatory will create an
    Ars Magna
    great work
    for whatever later generations may inhabit this planet. Yes, that sounds plausible; however,

“The
    Representives of Mystery
    seats
    worth preserving number six. Find them.”

There’s another definition of Representative of Mystery that is fairly recent. Roughly one thousand and five hundred years ago in this very country that served as the navel of the World, there was a battle between a Representative of Humanity and a Representative of Mystery.

Is it possible the
    sheets
    seats
    are the Last-Seeds to be planted in a Garden?

Last edited by You; August 31st, 2023 at 01:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

夜属 Nightkin GilgameshKingOfMemes's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Aelius

“Even if forgotten, weak and worthless, overshadowed in the face of infinity, it is the bulwark against the night not even you can cross.”

Birthdate: June 24th
    Birthplace: Rome

Magical Attributes
    Elemental Attribute: Wind

Magic Circuits
    Circuit Quantity: C
    Circuit Quality: A
    Circuit Composition: Standard

Thaumaturgical Foundation
    Relic Casting

Days Past
    Background
    “We humans should live aware that we are miniscule folk, the meek who shall inherit. We live in the shadow of forces unfathomable, at the mercy of beasts who’ve lived so long in the dark they miss the specter which dwarfs them from beyond our small pond. In arrogance they’ve mistaken their place because we seem hapless against them. Even so, from Keter to Malkuth, the puny kingdom of man connects back to the light of God, the powers of the low and the high are inherently intertwined. I will ensure these creatures learn this well.”

An old man crushes the vampiric scourge under heel. The weight of memories long forgotten push down harder than any man could upon their skulls. He holds deeply in his heart that even the weak will have the strength to stand against the unfathomable strong, it is the might of wisdom.

But what is the might that keeps such insignificant beings firm, and prevents such fragile backs from breaking under the weight of the world? At the end of everything, Aelius felt he had forged the answer all along. And this answer we present to you, as a representative mystery.

In The Age Of The Romans

When compared to the massive complex of the modern era, the Church of 300 AD was a far smaller and inexperienced group. Starting with the persecution they experienced at the hands of Rome and left with mostly their wits against the forces of the night, the Church felt desperate to advance. While occasionally a powerful figure might find themselves within their ranks that could tackle these problems with their own unique might, the rest of the flock only had the strengths of human ingenuity to cling to.

And cling to they did, pursuing what strategies the mind could conjure until a revolution of techniques and weapons suitable to slay Dead Apostles emerged. It was an arms race to try and close the gap enough that these plagues upon humanity might be cured. It was within this age that a variety of
    Foundations
    fundamentals
    through which humanity might overcome their vampiric adversaries emerged.

In pursuit of these ends in one of their most troubled times, the concealed side of the church had begun elevating magi that researched and developed the methods and techniques that would be inherited by executors of following generations. Aelius was a
    Magus
    priest
    of such occupation and persuasion whose unique talents allowed for the expansion of the Lord's arsenal.

Beasts of Cruelty.

Aelius believed humans to be creatures of ingenuity. They had dominated this planet and brought the end to Gods and mysteries they were helpless to face in normal circumstance for they had the blessings of wisdom. They were to be humble on their lonesome and strong as the flock of God for they were in his image. The world bent to their will for they had the reason and divine guidance to do so. Regardless of the strength or the cruelty Dead Apostles had possessed or the sin of man's heart, they stood with God in their glory, and those who rejected the light must bow.

In his youth he was most certainly an optimist despite these painful days and crushing waves of nightmare that washed away the shore. Faith was the foundation in the storm, so it was unsurprising that many would be attracted to his words. A faith that would one day be cemented and challenged all the same. Not by the creatures he opposed, but by the humanity he held dearly. He had simply not dug deep enough. A question he would tackle with time and time again, seeing the answer but not recognizing it was there.

When the Watch Stopped

On a certain, uneventful day, Aelius met Cassius. While magi were used to hoarding secrets from everyone possible, for the Church who wanted mysteries developed to be spread through their ranks, the needs of this scenario had produced a rare opportunity for collaboration. Cassius was the magus Aelius had worked with to develop the craft that remains their legacy. They were a spiritual surgeon that had seemingly forsaken their golden road to assist the persecuted Christians in their holy cause.

They ran into each other in a humble church, simple and hidden, as coworkers. Aelius had operated his life with certain philosophies, but Cassius, Aelius felt, was properly idealistic. A man who conceived of not a goal or end but a future. Every man can birth one of humanity's endless paths, but Cassius had made his apparent from their first meeting. He was a true believer and held a certain hope deep in his heart. Aelius was certain smitten by his words.

Aelius was the architect of the craft, but Cassius was his visionary. His North Star.

“I don’t like to watch the weak suffer through what little time they have on Earth.”

That was the explanation he gave to me. The reason why a magus would forsake the life he knew to tinker with developing Church weaponry. He said it like it was the most obvious choice to make.

“I dream of a future where people don’t have to cower just because their adversary is strong. That they’d be able to see past the dark with firm resolve, and face these ordeals without relying on the powers that be.”

He spoke boldly of an impossible dream. Back home, it would have been merely laughable. A waste. But this was the Church. Here we were given the blessing to believe in miracles. I, a man who had a philosophy to live by in the now, but lacked a vision for the future, decided to follow along.

A man who spoke of his plans and aspirations with an open heart and earnest desire. After seeing the despair the Dead Apostles had wrought, he felt his talents in making artificial mystic eyes were better suited here than in the world of the Clocktower. That maybe, somehow, they’d be able to see a clear path forward so that they might plant their feet firmly on the ground.

Aelius decided clearly then, that this would be the path he would follow, until he reached the end.

For Those Who Passed.

Aelius would spend many years toiling in search for something tangible. He had saw the rise of many items that could help combat the scourge more easily than the likes of tricks and burning. Creations such as Black Keys were major step forwards, but such things could only take you so far. He was sure some of the Dead Apostles who seemed more like unstoppable forces of nature then monsters merely scoffed in amusement that the apes had finally started building tools.

He had still sent off many executors to their death with his poor products in hand. He felt callous then, when such tragedy was the birth of inspiration. Death would be the fuel of his works it seemed, everything beginning with a clumsy wooden cross.

People have always held a deep reverence for the deceased, and in turn held onto mementos like relics. Even when the person is gone from the present a shadow remains, lingering in the hearts of those who still hold their image in their minds' eyes. It is merely an illusion, that image is and isn’t them. The persona without the flesh filtered through others. True and not, and as Aelius slowly realized, a fantasy.

An old executor clung to an old cross hanging off a thread. It was his in all practical sense, but in the heart it was merely in his possession. It belonged to another who was no longer with us but with God. Aelius had heard there was a Bishop who left behind a relic worth more than any precious stone. But to the executor, this lingering little thing contained more worth than any imaginable sum. A infinity greater than all infinites, a love that might have crawled up the [ ] itself.

It felt callous, but Aelius couldn’t help but recognize the potential of that subjective worth.

The Future Sight is Blind to the Present.

Aelius and Cassius were research partners, for better or for worse. Cassius struggled for he could see where he was going but not the path he walked in the now. He could not see the present at hand. But Aelius was only able to live in the present time.

Cassius was a magus who made mystic eyes. A few basic artificial types existed and it was quite lucrative to procure them. Yet to make a new type in a single generation, it was an impossible dream to even consider. After years, it never went anywhere.

All the failures did was tarnish the lives of those who bore the burden. Lack of sight, distorted sight, anyone who dared to try the craft would have their vision ruined. It was all acceptable in the pursuit of the end goal as far as the church was concerned, but it was hard to bear.

Those who couldn’t make it though was just more fuel for Aelius's own research. For a time they had a cruel, symbiotic relationship. Aelius for better or for worse had found what he needed, but Cassius needed a miracle.

“The dream is illusory. Regardless of how clearly I see it, that vision doesn’t actually exist. It’s the fantasy we call the future.”

I had always stood by his side. All he needed to hold in his hands were the future because he could leave the rest in mine.

“It must exist out there. You’re the one who said humanity was a well of infinite possibilities. It must exist by proxy. Perhaps the future only comes when we imagine an end to lay our eyes upon. That’s the human ingenuity in which I have placed my faith.”

Humble Relics

The youthful years had long passed. Wrinkles and gray hairs had set in and long life together stretched behind. Muddled in cruelty and ambitions, but it was done together. Yet now standing at the end of this long, bloody road, Aelius held the final fruits of his labors. The creation of a new foundation, a fantasy he was ready to entrust to the following generations.

Yet Cassius could not be seen.

All that lingered was a shadow of something far higher.

They had found more than they asked for.

“I’ve seen more than the light, Aelius.”

Cassius spoke with a bold cadence which didn’t fit the demeanor I once knew.

“We’ve made many a fools error, Aelius. Humans are a glorious savage bunch, it was right to call us sinners. This sin was taking on more from this world than we needed. Humans are only admirable when they are meek. Their weakness is their strength. The saints, forever humble in their fragility, understood this.”

He no longer had a soul that resembled anything human.

“So Aelius, promise me, let’s keep humanity the shining stars they already are..”

Ascended
    As Above So Below

Cassius

“Just as humans stare longingly into the night sky, humanity is its own set of twinkling stars for those looking down from Heaven's Loft. The world we look up at, the world they look down upon, they’re starkly different, yet mirror images. Even if it’s backwards, what exists in you exists in them. As above, so below. ”

Birthdate: December 18th

Eye of Providence

Background

“The cruelty of humanity is as infinite as it's most beautiful qualities. That's the sharp edge of potential. We must guide it appropriately”

Eye of Providence

In the year 300, as his partner crafted relics of the most mundane variety, Cassius worked to capture the cosmos in his own eyes. His work was to produce a kind of common mystic eye out of a Christian foundation that centuries later the Church would refer to as the Eye of Providence. Rather than occurring naturally it is a type of supernatural site which reveals the hidden, and as of the modern day, exists in several tiers of complexity, with the most basic type being a common tool found in the arsenal of various Church members.

They were a valuable spiritual surgeon, yet they let themselves be distracted by this humble little dream. But people could not see without sacrifice. Every failure was a vision he couldn’t return until finally even his own eyes had lost their way. In such despair, he prayed to God to assist his ambitions.

Surprisingly something, perhaps not God as we would recognize it, did answer.

The Meek Shall Inherit

With a single miracle, Cassius had found enlightenment. His existence was now a shadow merely passing through our dimension, his sight containing the cosmos and the unfathomable things which hung in the heavens high above creation and beyond. Things which a human could not bear to hold, yet his eyes were somehow able to encompass it all. Everything was in and outside his sight, reality mirrored in a way magi could only dream of.

The things he struggled with in the past were a trifle. When Aelius asked about the project he was slaving away at for so many years, he simply presented the finished product he had been looking for as if it was nothing.

“I struggled with this so much in the past. But carving this was a simple matter.”

He held a small marble sphere aloft, a symbol not quite of the time marking the center.

“Yet it will not make a difference, in the end. Humanity will continue down the same kind of road far into the future. Perhaps it was foolish to expect a road to be anything other than a road just because it was different in shape.”

I spoke to him with hesitant confusion.

“Was it all for naught then? Everything we’ve done so far?”

He merely scoffed, seeming to laugh at how deeply I misunderstood whatever he had meant.

“Nay. There are many things out there humanity must cower in the face of. Not just the Dead Apostles who stand merely a step above us but the God like curses upon our Earth or the demons above who no human could hope to stand against. God has cursed us with the gift of being the lowest of life with wisdom.”

His eyes now drifted past anything of the Earth.

“Humanity seems to resent the status, struggling hard against the turmoil. But with the ways we crush each other when we find even the smallest gain, they miss how power corrupts. If we are destined to be crush others under a boots heel, then we must learn to walk barefoot so to speak. It’s the humbleness we find in the face of unfathomable adversity that makes humans the most enviable and beautiful of creation. There are countless stars, but only one small Earth you see. That's why it's jewel.”

“I’ve certainly found that will to be my muse as much as you all these years. So why do I sense you see it as so….. Futile?”

“Your efforts at least are anything but. More so now than ever, I find your Relic Casting to the height of Fantasy on the planet. The humble is forgotten and reborn without sin. The image of what makes them beautiful is preserved, humanity epitomized.”

I looked down at the old, worn wooden cross in my hand, now the sole owner.

“Then what are we pursuing? I only work in death. I want to uplift people from suffering while they’re alive.”

“I’ll be doing the same thing I said I would. Life and strife are intertwined, it is how the cosmos is structured. If you want to find a place without it then you must enter Heaven. What matters more, Aelius, is that people can see properly and endure. Only then will people be fulfilled with the time spent in inevitable mortal torment. Both humanity and those beasts of the night will learn their place in time. Who needs the age of stars when men can become Saints. Your base is the right step towards that piety, or perhaps it’s merely the end we’ve happened to find first. After all, are Saints not merely an illusion cast following death?”

Aelius could not fathom the machinations Cassius had to decided to set into motion, but it was clear they had found different paths towards a future Aelius could not see.

Inevitability

Time would serve to only further exemplify the different realities the two would now inhabit. Aelius aged far into his elderly years and Cassius, seemed to already be a fantasy cast in flesh the same as he was on that day. They were slow approaching the inevitable, one step at a time.

“It saddens my heart to consider that you will not see the light as things are. You agree so much with the foundation, why reject the end? ....... It matters not. You will pass onto heaven as the saint of my heart for the miracles you have blessed me with. A humble figure, destined to be forgotten, yet leaving behind a deceptively deep footprint. For you shall I do more than merely cast your mold my dear. I will guide you to the future with mercy.”

Aelius had lingered by his side this entire time. It wasn’t an ordinary or comfortable life, but had felt it to be extremely mundane all the same. He was, in these twilight years, cursed with idle hands. It was an agony, but he it wasn't all bad.

Cassius seemed to have aspirations that required long waiting, with plans sprawling long into the future. So in the end, life continued the same with merely an eldritch undercurrent.

“I don’t know what it is you wish to pluck from the heavenly spheres that might humble man’s ego, but I think you should reconsider.”

“Even at the end you ask me such things.”

“I think I finally understand your folly. You’re look at all the people and stars, but you’re not looking at the origin…..”

His voice soon started fated in the middle of his words. Cassius lamented for a moment that he did not take his hand.

“Your clock stopped when you met me. I have pulled your far through a path of thorns and the art at the end which you have gifted is wonderful. But clearly I have blemished your heart. There was much more happiness to have elsewhere. There was much more we could have done if things remained in those days. That memory still weighs heavily upon my heart, so to find the true end I seek, let me cast it in gold.”

Abilities

“One was a reflection of their creator, and though mirrored, they were the same.”

Eye of Providence

One day upon the Sabbath, Cassius had reached into a higher dimension. They prayed and they were answered by something in what is truly a miracle. A miracle because it was an impossibility. They reached enlightenment in the now because they had reached it already and will do so again in the future, and so their eye became a demon of the same name. They had granted a wish to themselves, not knowing if it was an ascension upwards, or a fall from the heavens. A separation of the two existed, yet they were one and same, a reflection in the mirror. Who comes first, the chicken or the egg? Cassius could not care who the reflection was.

The nature of Cassius's existence is defined by the manifestation of a Mystic Eye referred to as the Eye of Providence. A sight which reveals without limitation, Cassius boasting of them being of Rainbow rank. Unlike a certain sister of the future who had ascended, Cassius had merely connected to something which was already there and awoke to shared senses. You could say they are the omniscience to their omnipotence. The enlightenment is not one which has awoken them to powers untold but knowledge infinite in depth.

They are the eyes which saw from Keter from Malkuth and all the Heavenly spheres. Rather than cowering at what lurks above, Cassius merely felt assured in the beauty of man's meek weakness. In turn his philosophy had shifted. He felt that the power would merely corrupt man's good innocent nature as lost in Eden, bearing witness clearly to what we do to each other and the animals below us when power balances shift. He feared the means of cruelty we would perpetuate far into the future.

The development of human civilization is thus a vehicle for evil, but like Pandora's box it is already out, it cannot be undone. So Cassius would much rather give humanity a sainthood in which they find a placid humbleness, unconcerned with the world. A stagnant dead end that the world must be uprooted to achieve. Then maybe the planet could be cast as a perfect
    Eden
    fantasy

He is thus like an otherworldly artifact of lore, an alien threat to humanity. Not because he is truly powerful or exceptional in his might and capabilities, but because he is willing to wait an eternity until he is.

“Are things sometimes really more beautiful if they’re forgotten?”

They were the most beautiful thing in my world.

I never wanted to forget their smile.

I couldn’t parse the meaning of their utterance.

“Of course they are.

They just smiled at me.

I saw their hand reach upwards towards the distant stars.

“That which stays may lose its luster, it’s better if we don’t linger. When we forget the real thing, the illusion which stays is forever gold….. While it might not be the totality, it is the truth.”

Knight
    The Knight Clad In Memories

“Our history is piled high with people that will never be remembered. Not even the faintest of echoes. But you’re right, even if I can’t see them, I’m sure they were beautiful.”

Birthdate: June 24th

Magical Attributes
    Elemental Attribute: Wind

Magic Circuits
    Circuit Quantity: C
    Circuit Composition: Standard

Relic Casting

Background

“One day they awoke to find a world unlike any they knew, but their body was a sediment in which numerous unrecognizable footprints lie.”

Awakening

The last thing they can recall is catching the glimpse of someone nostalgic in a church. Then, in the blink of an eye, they’re a different world, far into the future. Within their hands is an ancient clock, hands frozen to a certain day long ago. Around them are the memories of people they no longer remember, cast into fantastical shells.

It is, as the records show, a tale that’s been told countless times before. A thousand lives lived and forgotten to time without a soul left to remember them as they were, only a faint image cast from the thousands of souls they’ve touched and are now unable to recall. Who is Aelius, the man of present or the unending lives lived that have since returned to nigh non existence?

The only trace of that past is the relics cast in other likeness, the centuries culminating in the faintest resemblances of the full past that had occurred.

Knights and Orders

The world was vastly different from what he knew, but the church remained as a familiar rock in the storm regardless of how far it has evolved. They had made many weapons to combat the scourge of the dark, but the war did not end. Death and slaughter was as miserable a constant as they always were, it just no longer was as one sided as it once were.

Aelius would simply continue his service be it fighting, teaching, researching. Depending on the context of his revival his life would take many paths. His past only became clearer as the Church made formal records of his lives and contributions. Letters and work were stored in the archives, creations that felt so familiar but he couldn’t recall.

Yet every insignificant life, he always spotted something familiar.

I saw them. The same faint visage from when I first awoke in this reality…..

A nostalgic visage I can’t recall…….

A visage from the worst of days……

A visage of nightmares.

Somehow he was enduring the same cycle as him. Wandering the world with a suppressed sense until one day he found the sight of heaven again. It was something that, for a long time, had never made sense.

“We really are bound by fate. The threads are merely reborn rather than severed. Surely in one of these cycles you will find the enlightenment you deserve.”

“I refuse.”

He was a man, but it was like standing in the way of a mighty storm. The depths of his eyes simply sapped away the strength of one’s sanity. How many times had their soul given away under the weight? It was something only Cassius as he was now could recall, this story of theirs playing out time and time again.

Yet every time he decayed slower.

Perhaps they were just forgotten moments, but the memories had still built a firm sediment for one's roots to be planted. The casts of others which the knight bared, slowly made a shield to counter the eldritch weight of the Eye of Providence.

“How many times have I heard that persistent utterance? I do not understand how this always comes back to wasting your Force of Providence on me.”

Aelius looked down at the old watch sat in his hands, time still frozen in a fantasy of the past.

“This clock is my torment, but I cannot look away even if my heart is heavy. When cruel machinations befall the world in its entirety, then I as the meek of the Earth have nowhere to turn if I wish not to see it. If I cannot hide, then with faith I must stand with what will fills my hallowed heart. Whether or not I die, the world will keep turning past that. Regardless of how much I dream of what I wish was, the world will continue to spin the direction it’s going. It’s hopeless. Even so, there are no other worlds or fantasies to turn to, so I will follow through in the face of everything. Just like the warriors I sought to save in centuries past.”

Cassius simply scowled at the resistance. It seemed like a miscalculation he couldn’t correct, an error which shouldn’t exist.

“What’s the missing factor? What have you, the blind, seen that I who can witness everything, not found? Watching you stumble in the dark, it is beginning to piss me off.”

“You’ve seen everything but never looked in. You’ve started seeing the forest and not the trees. You’ve forgotten what my soul has not. What I see is a man who suppressed his sight so that he could indulge life with me. And that is the key”

The storm raged harder, but Aelius no longer had to stumble aimlessly in the night. He had already found what he needed right in reach.

“It was merely an easy disguise. What would you know? You’ve never left the night, the blind shouldn't tell those who see about the appearance of things. What could you see?”

“Even if I can’t see in the dark, I still have my guiding North Star. You’ve clearly missed it when you saw the entire night sky. If wisdom is a weapon then I will temper it with the gift God has seeded our hearts with….. You've been seeing it all this time. I still love you, Cassius. Let's put this aside.”

Abilities
    “I think you’re mistaken as to what the moment you’ve chosen means. It was the beginning of my most meaningful dreams, not the end. Just because it was painful or subtle and minute, doesn't mean it didn't mean the world to me.”

The Hands of Time

This watch of his remains both a memento and a curse. It’s like a clock set to a specific time and date, far in the past. A life lived up until that moment, preserved and cast as a single item. It is Aelius's relic, born from Cassius's own world. Its functions are simple yet significant. When the man known as Aelius passed away, return him to the date on the watch, reborn as if a day hadn’t passed from the time.

It’s a gift from someone who couldn’t let go. The cycle of rebirth must continue until they found Sainthood with them in what they thought was their happiest time, that was the simple wish that founded the relic. Even if it took an eternity to find the day, the clock they hoped, would carry them happily into that future.

Representative of Mystery

“There is much to be found in this tiny thing. Though it meager, it contains all the hope in the world. I'd like to believe it is this miracle that should be preserved and carried into the future.”

Relic Casting

Saints are those who leave their heavenly fingerprints all over the things they touch. Not merely just their bodies, but everything which made contact with them were imparted with a sliver of
    Mystery
    heaven's majesty
    . Saints are those who have forever marked the world and
    Human Order
    man’s consciousness
    with their presence, these items are merely a lingering impact like a footprint in the sand.

But, do we not make an impact in the flow of history, however faint? In someone's world, the man time forgot has sunk deeper than any Holy Saint. These “Artificial relics” then are merely a foundation for realizing the untapped potential of the everyman the world has not actualized. What Aelius had pioneered then was the crystallization of someone's lingering footprint in the sands of time, capturing a cast before waves wash it away and the soul fades from memory. The image that lingers in the shape of the deceased, it is materialized and given power. They are artificial relics, easy to dismiss as cheap knockoffs, but they remain genuine.

These relics tend to be simple mystic codes in line with works like Hands of Glory but their power can vary quite greatly depending on the context. While distributed broadly and made slowly, a task which weighs heavily on the hearts who carry out the task, those emotions tend to make these items more powerful in the hands of those who cared the most.

Generally however, these creations are not particularly powerful, but useful foot soldier equipment that covers bases ranging from side weapons to clothing. Most of the time, they slip unnoticed into one’s arsenal. Perhaps your clothing is strong and durable, or your halberd has an extra sharp edge, something as humble and forgettable as the people who make up the relic itself. But the heart is always there. Sometimes, these humble casts can rival even a saint's might if placed in the right hands. It merely depends on the soul put into it. After all, as a magecraft meant to weigh subjective values, when a loved one is cast from someone's inner world, it can be worth more than life itself.

Those who partake in these forging refer to such creations as someone's master work. A guiding light that cuts through the dark. Their North Star.

Last edited by GilgameshKingOfMemes; July 20th, 2023 at 04:32 PM.

Aelius and Cassius: What a fantastic first entry this was! Both characters are really interesting, and the relationship between them is extremely well-developed! And of course their Foundations are both fascinating as well. Excellent work!

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    Blog Entries

Name: Elizabeta Mathias
    Title: The Apostle of the Holy Church
    Birthplace: Roman Empire

History: Formerly a major practitioner of the Holy Church and a powerful and influential member of it, she was one of the members who researched into the nails that are said to be those that nailed Jesus on the cross. She believed they would be very powerful artifacts if used in the right way. But each use of them resulted in the sacrifice of one, and very few were in existence.

Elizabeta sought to get a way to utilize it, and found a way in the Creed of Nicene. By reverse-engineering the creed, instead of setting “Jesus and god equal to the same form, but two different things”, she might be able to utilize it to create identical Holy Nails with the same mystery and power without sacrificing much time to it. However, this went drastically wrong.

A Nail she was utilizing exploded, a shard landing within her neck. While the vast quantities of mana within it make it a very valuable resource, it also made it a highly dangerous substance to have within her body. And as such, she became transformed. But not quite in the way expected. The mystery provided by the Nail, as well as the other concoctions she was working on, transformed her into an entity far closer to a “Dead Apostle” than a normal Human, the nail itself providing an origin of “permanent death”, that is directly contradicted by the mana of the nail, producing a state of “undeath”, forcing her to regularly drain humans.

She hid this from the Church as much as possible, even personally killing an Ancestor of the Dead Apostles. But they eventually found out, and tried to seal Elizabeta away. This caused her to snap. The organization she had devoted her life, and even her unlife, to, merely because of her existence, attempted to seal her. So, she decided to forge her own path, breaking out against the Church, and becoming a separate Apostle, taking on the absent slot in the Ancestors that she created through murder to become the 26th Dead Apostle Ancestor. Her origin is Salvation, but it is not the salvation that wishes to bring others to peace and happiness, which she threw away a long time ago. It is the salvation that wishes to drag all others down with her into the abyss, brutal demises bringing others closer to her.

Personality: A loner. She is deeply focused on the “salvation” of those around her. But her definition of salvation is twisted, the doesn’t wish to actually save others. She believes Salvation stems instead from others feeling just as much despair as you, as opposed to feeling as much hope. Her usual way to bring others to Salvation is through draining them.

Dislikes: Dead Apostles, True Ancestors, the Holy Church

Magical Origin: Salvation
    Elemental Affinity: Nothingness
    Circuit Quantity: B
    Circuit Composition: C

Magecraft Abilities:

Salvator Mundi: The salvation of humanity. Smothered under a cloak of endless night, humanity gradually grows to forget about the day. The main goal of Elizabeta, in particular for Magi, for she will refuse to allow Apostles or the Church to see her “holy sanctity”. A shroud of night that envelops those around her, sinking them into deep despair at every waking moment. Tendrils of shadow stemming from around her, the sadness of humanity powering them.

Sanguis Dei: The blood of humanity. The apostle’s constant requirement of blood. Elizabeta has transformed this somewhat, though she still requires blood. Instead of “consuming blood”, this has become “salvation through blood”, a bloodbath serenity that allows all within her grasp to be held. In other words, a form of control over all blood that enters the area near her.

Yaldabaoth: The sinners who control the world and the church. The primary way that Elizabeta utilizes her affinity of nothingness. If something can be right or wrong, Elizabeta denies them both, the morality of the actions becomes irrelevant. A spell that nullifies morality, Elizabeta’s presence shredding the existence of any level of moral compass, whether Evil or Good, leaving behind nothing in its wake. The despair of perpetual unknowing tapping into Salvator Mundi.

Nicean Creed: If an existence can be in one place and yet another and still be the same existence, can’t all existences do that? An attempted spell Elizabeta has been working on for a long time. An absolute duplication that nears the level of a True Magic. However, in practice this can’t be used very much, so it is limited to merely splitting Elizabeta into two identical and equal parts, both containing all of the whole.

Mystic Codes and Familiars:

Holy Nail of the Revenant: The holy nail still embedded in Elizabeta’s neck. It serves a simple purpose, to channel her attribute of “Nothingness” continually through her body. If life and death are two alternate states, then this nail denies them both, resulting in the simple status of constant undeath, as if the very decision making is stopped in place, leaving both equally active.

Concoctions and Relics: The remainders of the concoctions and relics Elizabeta held while working for the Holy Church. She is incapable of using much of them, for they have parts that prevent Dead Apostles from touching them in any way, but if she were to numb that component thee would become useful weapons for her to use.

Elizabeta Mathias: Ooh, very interesting! I think it flows together really nicely, and it has a very cool concept! So would Salvation be her Principle, or would she not have a proper Idea Blood as a nonstandard DAA?

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PA270 View Post
    Elizabeta Mathias: Ooh, very interesting! I think it flows together really nicely, and it has a very cool concept! So would Salvation be her Principle, or would she not have a proper Idea Blood as a nonstandard DAA?
    thanks so much! Oo yep I definitely misworded that, Salvation would be her principle.

祖 Ancestor
    Blog Entries
    GLORY TO THE DYNASTY AND LINEAGE OF SOLOMON AND DEATH TO THE DEAD APOSTLE MENACE. GLORY TO PRINCE MENELIK III OF THE HOUSE OF SOLOMON

"Some people believe that the only true path to freedom is through strength. This is wrong. The strong are bound by the responsibility they have to protect the weak. This is the way things are. This is the way they are meant to be"

Height: 5 foot 11 inches.

weight: 155 pounds.

Birthday: January 22

Lore: Ethiopia is tied with armenia for the first country to convert to christianity. It stands to reason that the holy church there was strong but something made the holy church in ethiopia so much more powerful than in rome was due to the ruling dynasty of aksum (supposedly) descending from king solomon himself, the founder of solomonic magecraft, As spoken in the kebra nagast and their possession of the ark of the covenant as spoken in the kebra negast. While the church and dead apostles fought each other in europe. The solomonic dynasty princes desired to prove their strength to the rest of christendom and to their subject and dead apostles where the most obvious target. This led to a tradition of young solomonic princes going out into the world armed with holy scriptures to hunt down dead apostles and dead apostle ancestors.

Menelik the third is the newest of these princes. Born after the fall of the dynasty in the 1970s. He was unburdened by the pressure of being the next ruler of ethiopia that was faced by earlier descendents of solomon but this had the downside of draining him of any purpose in life and making him anemic. He found a new purpose in life in the old tradition of hunting down dead apostles to prove ones strength. So he took the sword of saint george, ascalon, (which his family claims to be legitimate) and went off to foreign lands. Now he wanders the world from country to country hunting down dead apostles that lurk in the middle of the night.

Personality: Menelik is a believer in whatever the exact opposite of might makes right is. He fully believe that the strong have an full responsibility to serve and protect the weak whereas some would see it as the other way around. He firmly believe it is a rulers duty to service their subject selflessly and that rulers that crush their subjects tyrannically are unworthy of living let alone ruling. Still he can be a bit... touchy when it comes to the legitimacy of his family possessions and the legitimacy of his ancestor.

"Hey how did your ancestors claim the sword of saint george? Shouldn't that be in anatolia or something?" "how about you DON'T FUCKING ASK" "okay okay i'll stop asking".

His attitude towards dead apostle is not one of hatred but one of pity. He pities those who turned into monsters for the sake of continuing their study and desires to help them find an alternative to consuming blood for them but he will kill if there is no other option and finds those who take pleasure in drinking blood disgusting.

REPRESENTATIVE OF MYSTERY

Ascalon yihuda

Many christian denominations claim to possess the sword of of saint george as a sacrament from britain to georgia (the country not the state). However none come as close to the real deal as Ascalon yihuda. A sacrament forged in the 300s AD from the myth of saint george and the dragon and the greater chaoskampf motif in mythology, it may seem like an odd choice to use an anti dragon weapon to hunt dead apostles but it makes a great choice given the greater chaoskampf motif.

Dragons are always anathema to human order in chaoskampf myths, humans are fragile thing and dragons represent the grandness and cruelty of nature and the gaia which unintentionally crushes humanity. They block out rivers which causes the collapse of civilizations who rely on them. The slaying of a dragon therefore represents the strength and power of man triumphing over nature and threats to the human order. Dead apostles are enemies of the human order therefore an sacrament that displays the power of humanity would logically harm them.

It's exact function is that it's much like a certain weapon from atlas in that it gains power the greater a target is separate from human order with it gaining obscene levels of power against dead apostle ancestors. However it is functionally useless against targets which are normal humans as anything other than a normal sword so... lets just say there's a reason he always carries a 9mm with him.

Menelik III: Definitely an interesting concept! I like the backstory, and Ascalon Yihuda is a pretty cool weapon! Formatting's definitely a little wonky, but in terms of content, it's pretty solid!

Blog Entries
    it lacks a bit of meat. Details. His fighting style and magecraft? Its a fine start. Your sheets can stay short, befitting your attention span you mentioned a while back, while allowing you to explore something else quickly afterward. But keep in the details to build both concept and character.
    "Let's see the color of your coin, my friend."

Behold my vault of Heroes.
    Where the Heavens and the Abyss breath the Music of Humanity.

The King's duty is to provide. And provide, I shall.
    University of Formatting | Gallery of Potential | Memorandum of the Extra Class Kings

Our Kingdom will grow. And we shall know each citizen.
    Create-a-Servant 4 soon.

Blog Entries
    ouroborosoroboruOUROBOROSoroboruouroboros
    ██████████████████

[ [ ACCESS FILE ] ]

Alias:
    Magecraft:
    Date of birth:
    Origin:
    Height/Weight:
    Element:
    Country of origin:
    Circuit Quantity:
    Affiliation:
    Circuit Quality:
    Image colour:
    Circuit Composition:
    Day of decisive battle: Parallel with the one who sees ■ea■■s for what they really are

Background
    I don't want to despise you, but I may have no choice.

"Ahahahaha! Don't tell me you're hesitating, you grey old bastard! Haven't you ever been betrayed before?!"

You are too
    perpendicular
    adjacent
    to me. I knew what you were, I think, but I didn't care.

The cathedral ceiling is crumbling. The structural supports are insufficient. The wood is burning, and the iron rods in the shattered concrete are exposed. They soften timidly by the flames' gaze.

I, too, am crumbling. I know I should have killed you when I had the chance - when I first realised there was something wrong with you.

But how could I? Nobody else had ever really grasped what I was trying to make. All the world's believers probably still lack the depths of the faith that I held dear, that you mirrored with me. How could I not cherish you as I would have my own child?

I cannot bring myself to curse you. I cannot curse myself either. Then who should I blame? Is this the fault, perhaps, of Christ Himself? Are His words, "eternal life", the foundation of all this?

I didn't even want my paradise for myself. I had wished from the start to give it to mankind - and most of all, to you.

Perhaps it would have been better if I had lived a life ignorant of the Lord to begin with.

"You're a moron, 'teacher'. Me, live in paradise? You've got to be kidding! Doesn't that defeat the entire point of eternity from top to bottom?!"

Your eyes grow one degree colder.

"And besides," you scoff, "we both know I would have died the moment I stepped inside it anyway. Believe it or not, I actually consider what I'm doing to be my good deed for this incarnation."

Incarnation? You've done this before?
    Personality
    Talents:
    Natural enemy:
    Alignment: I don't even know.
    How much of the
    person I thought I
    was spending that
    time with was real
    in the first place?

"And I'll do it again. Well, not this... I mean, me, playing the hero? Who the hell came up with this punchline, huh?!"

The Holy of Holies explodes behind you - the sign that our garden has truly perished - but you're too busy laughing at the absurdity of it all to even flinch.

I see. So that's why you're here now, you demon.

"It's just a coincidence. I mean, you people are too influential for your own good! Why wouldn't I become one of you? But come on, inviting me to the end of the world is a little gauche!"

The end? Is that truly how you saw the Eden we built together?

"You people - not the Church, you - have always made weapons. I realised that a long time ago. A certain collection of wealthy patrons from centuries before I was even born have nestled themselves into corners of the Church since its foundation. Times change, vicar. Even they knew that. So whether they believed or not, they brought the knowledge to kill monsters like me. But you should already be well aware, since you rode on their coattails all the way here."

I do know. We both do. We're both acolytes of their secrets. For every shadow, there is an umbra - every inner circle begets an even more hidden circle still.

"Don't lump me in with your erycine filth, you idolater. A real snake has venom," you sneer. "Returning to holier times? Your precious flowers have died, so you make paper replacements and exalt it as a paradise? You cowards will never find an answer to this world if that's all you've got."

Abilities
    You bring down the flaming sword from the garden's gate - the seal that we were to remove, the symbol of the original sin.

It cleaves a woman in two as though she were not even there, severing the protections and blessings of her Sacraments.

It is divine wrath itself. If it touches any of us, we will be forever damned. We cannot stave it off with prayers.

And yet you - you, of all people - swing it like it's nothing.

"Are you kidding me? I'm dying here!" you refute. "This thing is burning me from the inside out... A Dead Apostle can't seriously touch a Scripture on this level and expect to live. You did pretty well on that front. But you see, a human can't survive it much better, can you?"

You take a step forward. I panic, and my Ash Lock fires a bolt at you.

It is incinerated by the divine fire of your stare alone. The holy sword will not allow harm to come to its wielder.

"The difference between us is that I'm going somewhere after this. Don't get me wrong, I'm not exactly a big believer in Heaven and Hell, but even if they were real..."

A flash of sacred fire. My arm falls from my shoulder, and I howl in agony.

"...you threw away your invitation, teach."

The sword's flames evict their victims from the world itself, banishing them from the scope of God's love. In that respect, it isn't dissimilar to Hell itself. Do you really think you can survive that?

"Well, the last thirteen times worked out just fine. If it were something like death itself, I'd care a little more, but kicking me out of the World is a birthday party as far as I'm concerned."

You raise it above your head, and its light intensifies.

"You fuckers, though? I'd be impressed," you grin. "But hey! Be proud of yourselves! You managed to distract me for an entire lifetime! That's gotta count for something!"

It's blinding.

"Theologian... Whoever you are... No, whoever you once were. Listen closely to me. If you are anything like how I know you to be, I will at least warn you of this much."

"Huh? How long does it take you to die, old man?"

"I should say the same to you. But you will. One way or another, you will cease to be. I am certain you will cross paths with someone who will bring an end to your eternity... with death, or with life."

"What are you blathering about?"

"I can hardly tell myself. Call it a kind of fatherly intuition, if you will."

"Wonderful. I'll be sure to keep your disgusting little prediction in mind, Father."

Neither of us say another word. I'm sure I'm the first to fade away.

A/N
    It's a little hackneyed and very short, but I wanted to write at least something. Ideas and time were thin on the ground, so I decided to put together a few dangling threads that I'd had in mind for a while. Then I tied them into a big knot, took a photograph specifically of that knot and nothing else, then took all the threads and turned them into a garrotte with which to torture this metaphor.

I've reached the point where I genuinely can no longer tell how cryptic I'm being, but hopefully this is clear enough on its own. I may have also taken several of the wrong lessons from last time, but we'll see how it pans out. I'm still feeling the waters for you guys, since this is a very different scene to the Servant contest.

Fate\last call
    night, dawn, and the birth of stars

╘══════════════════╕
    Characters
    Dictionary
    Poll
    Recent: Ch. ■
    next arc: Spring 2024

Blog Entries
    “How does the Holy Church fight its battles?”

An
    catechumen
    ordinary member
    will respond as they have been taught:

“Through the power of prayer and divine intercession.”

During a rhetorical exchange between those with a deeper understanding of the Holy Church’s mission, albeit not engaged in more direct spiritual warfare themselves, the answer would probably go something more like this:

“Through prayer power, divine intercession… and through the assistance of
    God’s grace made physically manifest
    Sacraments

These are misunderstandings, deliberate in their cultivation, although not strictly untrue.

Disciplina arcani

The Holy Church found themselves with a conundrum most difficult.

The spirits of their precious adherents were indeed willing to carry out God’s will on earth, but their flesh was still weak. ‘Spongy and bruised’, even, some might even say.

What then, to do? A weapon is nothing without someone to use it. How could God’s followers best overcome this challenge handed down by Him?

For now we see through a glass darkly

βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι' ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι

You awake in a dark, cold room without any apparent exits. A faint scent resembling wine permeates the room. At the centre: a torso-sized mirror, made of finely polished silver, surrounded by flickering candles. A disembodied voice instructs you: sit directly in front of it, and stare. Although kidnapped, and unaware of what lies ahead of you, you are still a candidate. You have an idea of why you are here. Thus, you obey.

Hours pass. How many, you might imagine, depends on the elect. The flickers produced by the candlelight gradually take on more consistent shapes, warping the viewer in more decipherable ways. It’s you, but it’s more than you. There are… things, happening. To you. The images become clearer still.

You are beholding scenes of your many, many deaths.

Your gaze feels glued to the visions before you. But then, why would you even desire to look away? Each catastrophe feels realer than the last. More real than anything you’ve ever seen. More real than anything you’ve ever felt. You can practically smell the scent of your burning flesh, feel the wind rushing past you as you plummet to your death. When you watch yourself drown, you too feel robbed of your breath.

A peculiar, piercing sensation floods your torso. All at once, your eyes are released from what was formerly holding them in place. You look down.

Four steel claws are sticking out from your stomach, your organs gently sliding out of the freshly-made crevasse, down onto the floor.

It is harder from here.

No longer a mere voyeur, but an active participant in your very own carnival of death. Your immolation no longer theoretical, but a screeching agony that rips itself from your throat as you wail for mercy. The lack of oxygen filling your lungs is no longer sympathetic, but something holding your head down in a body of water, or it’s lying weakly in a pool of your own blood as your perforated lungs drown in it. Sometimes the deaths are longer, and you lie for minutes crushed beneath rubble, experiencing the burn of the tissue death consuming your limbs. Sometimes they’re more exotic. You experience a number of variations on the concept of death via a thousand paper cuts. And so on.

The sight of your own brain matter dashed against the side of the rock you’ve been caned with. You and your body feel increasingly like two separate existences.

And yet.

After each time, each individual death, you find yourself flooded with the most profound sense of peace you have and will ever know. Again and again. It does not matter how unspeakable the cruelties you experience are. It does not matter how unjust the agonies. There is always relief. And the cause is obvious: God is with you. He holds you in the palm of His hands. What else could it be? Who else could grant such impossible mercy? That is the conclusion all will inevitably draw, as they are bathed in God's grace again, again, and again. The gospel is correct. He walks with you. Nay, he carries you. There is nothing to fear. You begin to greet each new death with a growing enthusiasm that threatens to overwhelm you. The world is full of delight and beauty, and you find your imagination liberated from the prison of everyday preoccupations - how could it be any other way?

Somewhere, a door opens.

The
    mystai
    initiate
    will eventually emerge, be it in hours or days. Their soul is cleansed. Reformed. Fortified. They have been baptised as a warrior of God; their body, the vessel through which they will carry out His will: ready to learn the proper ways of eradicating the
    blasphemers
    undead

As with everything, there are of course, exceptions. Even amongst those who have partaken in the Mystery, their memory and thus dedication may… falter. Some may even leave.

And of course, some particularly observant, well-informed individuals may draw connections between this
    legal
    orthodox
    initiation ritual with something the
    illegal
    heretic
    magi of the Clock Tower are understood to practice under special circumstances.

It does not matter. All blasphemers shall meet the fate that is due to them in the end.

All of these are neat-Tsugumi's dark room of reforging is cool and Random's is very intriguing with

Spoiler:
    the story of a Roa incarnation swinging around a Sacrament sword at their former teacher. Also the line at the end mentioning Roa's end by death(Shiki) or life(???) is pretty mysterious
    Last edited by TrueMrMultiverse; July 21st, 2023 at 04:17 AM.