Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2631343536

Thread: Honkai: Star Rail

Blog Entries
    11 days. Both too soon and too long.

JP Friend Code
    New 2.1 chars kit leaked and ofc Acheron is ridiculously cracked. As expected from MHY favorite daughter. They love her in every universe.

Aventurine kit screams L Ratio support so much that ppl already joking they will give him away for free, chasing after L Ratio lol.

Gallagher is interest concept of healer, he heals a fixed value and help with break dmg, his kit looks pretty solid for a 4 star and the first Fire abundance.

I know the current topic is about Penacony due to the latest patches, but in my attempt to catch up with it, I happened to complete the Vita Infinita companion missions. This, I assume, concludes all the Luofu content directly linked to the main story. I thought I'd share a few thoughts here, so sorry for the lengthy post.

Yanqing's quest was okay and set up some continuity, but not being something in-between the main story kinda kills it for me. I understand the role and timing is not only to avoid spoiling Jingliu's reveal with Luocha in the final cutscene but also to justify Yanqing finding Blade, and Jing Yuan suddenly dropping by at the end. The problem for me is that the latter has the opposite effect for me, and highlights one of the greatest issues I have with Luofu: it's okay if everything sucks because we'll just (try to) retroactively build up things anyway (like Tiangyun and Yukong characters that only start to become real characters by the literal final quest). Also, every time I consider having this quest or any similar ones between the main story, it would definitely help flesh it out more and not make me feel things just happen because they do.

Yukong's quest was very good on its own, and I think it stands out among most of Luofu, but it doesn't really serve any purpose? I can read it and love it, but if I go back to reread any of Yukong's interactions before it, it doesn't really add anything to her character aside from a single line in the final nodes. It would be the kind of occasion where retroactive construction would be very welcome here (because it's not exactly an structural component that directly affects the story's consistency, like Yanqing's; it's mostly just characterization), but it doesn't exist. I would say it's a very good standalone quest but a bad Luofu quest (and maybe that's a good thing).

Imbibitor Lunae's was very cool. The part about the assassins and the traitorous maid seemed more like a backdrop for battles, so I don't have many thoughts on it. But not only does it provide more Quintet background, it's also great for Dan Heng's character. He understands that he needs to confront the past and that means working in the present, not dwelling on mistakes that cannot be undone (like the Quintet did, leading to their separation), which is great for the whole chapter thematic in general. His relationship with Bailu is very sweet, and I like her character much more than I initially did as well. I feel it's a good fresh start for Dan Heng. A very good aftermath quest that just relies on your prior knowledge of the whole story to truly weigh down.

Jingliu's quest was both good and bad for me. It's an okay closure for the Quintet, which is why it's disappointing for me that's actually treated as a side quest/plot. I understand part of it is because the main chapter's triple twists were actually red herrings for Luocha's scheme in Luofu, but that could all still be done with the Quintet as the core, and Jingliu's whole stuff going on in the main focus (also why I dislike Yanqing stuff also being placed here). Luocha would still be seemingly unrelated because it's something literally revealed by the end of it and just explained during the companion quest (both instances on his own accord). A lot of stuff, like Jingliu in general, is really great. Her melancholy is pretty, and I love that the story trusts you to understand why she wanted to see Bailu so much without being wordy about it, unlike most of the whole arc is. Blade's single monologue before he revives again is also very packed and make me look forward for more of him in the future. In the same vein as my previous comment, I really like how the quest trusts you to understand the cryptic actions (or lack thereof) of some characters. My only complaint is really that nothing of it was the main plot instead of the whole contrived thing that the main chapter turned out to be.

JP Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenshi View Post
    it's okay if everything sucks because we'll just (try to) retroactively build up things anyway (like Tiangyun and Yukong characters that only start to become real characters by the literal final quest). Also, every time I consider having this quest or any similar ones between the main story, it would definitely help flesh it out more and not make me feel things just happen because they do.
    I believe the quest was originally intended to be required to completed before continuing the main story, but they decided to make it optional after the whole Danshu quest being changed and ruined that entire storyline. Effectively they cut out these events to try and keep the flow of the main story but ended up making it even more fragmented.

Yukong's quest is basically like an Interlude in FGO, so it being optional makes more sense compare to the ones tying directly to the main story yeah.

Jingliu's quest was both good and bad for me. It's an okay closure for the Quintet, which is why it's disappointing for me that's actually treated as a side quest/plot. I understand part of it is because the main chapter's triple twists were actually red herrings for Luocha's scheme in Luofu, but that could all still be done with the Quintet as the core, and Jingliu's whole stuff going on in the main focus (also why I dislike Yanqing stuff also being placed here). Luocha would still be seemingly unrelated because it's something literally revealed by the end of it and just explained during the companion quest (both instances on his own accord). A lot of stuff, like Jingliu in general, is really great. Her melancholy is pretty, and I love that the story trusts you to understand why she wanted to see Bailu so much without being wordy about it, unlike most of the whole arc is. Blade's single monologue before he revives again is also very packed and make me look forward for more of him in the future. In the same vein as my previous comment, I really like how the quest trusts you to understand the cryptic actions (or lack thereof) of some characters. My only complaint is really that nothing of it was the main plot instead of the whole contrived thing that the main chapter turned out to be.
    The Quintet storyline is, assuming the CN fans were correct, written by dimengan. Out of the Honkai series writers, he is not bad, but tend to get held back by his toxic behavior online. The entire Luofu main story OTOH, no clue if it is also him or another inexperienced writer. They had cool things to show ready, but they failed to make the build up to the cool things and expand on it worked.

With Penacony, Shaoji (one of the OG Honkai series writers) is back as the lead writer, and you will see the quality jumped up a lot compare to Luofu.

Blog Entries
    Yanqing is used very, very weirdly. Contrast his journey with Jingliu to an almost comedic entrance to Blade and DH's fight, and the buttmonkey usage in Kafka's companion quest. He finds things, then fails to do anything about them. A myriad of achievements that want players to beat him up doesn't help either.

JP Friend Code

Menhera

Blog Entries
    Menhera, my beloved.

I told 'em, I told 'em. Bugrit! eddyak's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Sparkle's EN voice in that is great, but her CN is a special level of unhinged.

Will be tossing a few rolls her way, but keeping enough for Acheron pity.
    FGO Supports
    NA
    JP

JP Friend Code

Help.

Blog Entries
    No. Down bad.

Blog Entries
    Gotta love PF cycles. Quick and nice-like 720 jades.

I told 'em, I told 'em. Bugrit! eddyak's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    50 pulls tossed in the direction of Sparkle & Hanya, got neither, not risking my guaranteed Acheron for more chances at insane clown posse inside girl so small she can't fit all the red flags she should have.

Those E5 Sampo, E8 Herta and E9,999,999 Qingque spooks sure were cool though, I sure am glad I got all of those instead of a single fucking Hanya!
    FGO Supports
    NA
    JP