Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 253033343536 LastLast

Thread: Honkai: Star Rail

JP Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by mami-kouga View Post
    This patch was good
    I only have a few sidequests left to finish but I am also impressed by some of the sidequests being really good. Such as that quest with the Genius dude and the one with the crazy tyrant queen. Also the choice to not tie the setting to be inspired by one single culture like Luofu allowed them to do a lot of fresh things. Many expected it to be Australia cuz Penal Colony but it's about jazz era + space + dream shenanigans. Breaking the genshin trope. And this is only just the first wave.

my only criticism is that even if it's obvious that there's more to her character they wrote Firefly with WAY too many tragic romance tropes and even if they're playing it up for foreshadowing you are still meant to believe her and Trailblazer have become significantly close. I think they can do a lot to connect you to a character in a short amount of time (Argenti's story quest was a good example and even then I'd also say that was a bit too short) but well it's comparitively minor compared to not!China's everything.
    Going by Shaoji's writing, all of the cute, wholesome and typical things you see from the surface wouldn't be the key factor that will complete her character. In fact, the way Firefly is written reminds a lot of how he wrote Pardofelis in HI3rd (tho Pardo is still better). He presents Pardo as just a stealthy catgirl who wants to chill and is very scared of death, put into a group of top tier heroes with many talents she can never compare to and always refuse to call herself a hero. So it got Mei really angry when she got suddenly offed like Firefly while trying to help out (she didn't really die at the time, just sent to some trash data zone, which is obv will be similar to Firefly). Pardo didn't even have any romance tropes.

But her character defining moment was 5 minutes of her final moments, where she has to make a decision to either run away or stay to keep a portal open so her allies can blast an energy blast through, which means she will die from the heat of the attack. As one who is scared of dying, yet she chose to stay and face death head on, against everything what she has been presented prior to that point. That earned her top respect from all of her hero comrades and the players. It is her second and TRUE death. So Firefly is still not off the hook yet lol.

I will let Shaoji cook and believe we will have a REAL Firefly moment that goes beyond her just being a sickly wholesome girl who is sus.

Also I can't stop thinking about Aventurine walking up to the Trailblazer, literally what was he planning to do before Acheron walked in?????
    Obviously intentionally vague so ppl can either think he'll going rapist mode, since I've seen ppl either feel disgusted by his behavior, or barking and woofing me next me next. Either ways, I didn't see many ppl like him anymore after the quest lol.

Most of the characters in the story chapter are within what I expected from my impressions of them, but some has unexpected moments (like Acheron turns out to be actually Roronoa Zoro and yapping cryptic messages while I originally thought she will be all edgy depressed Mei), but Hanabi takes the cake for being completely unhinged beyond my expectations.
    Last edited by Lily Emilio; February 10th, 2024 at 06:47 AM.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    Either ways, I didn't see many ppl like him anymore after the quest lol.
    You're definitely in different places than me then. He sucks as does the IPC but for a place like this where everyone is a schemer he's a fun addition. Being subjected to him being hatecrimed was kind of a lot however, finding out he's meant to be not!Romani did make the weird hyperfocus in his race make sense but Mihoyo's previous attempts at tackling racism haven't been great so it's a loaded as thing to have to contend with now

- - - Updated - - -

Hanabi takes the cake for being completely unhinged beyond my expectations.
    Sparkle being the worst is rather refreshing, I wish she didnt serve as a point of encouragement for the already kind of racist fandom but she packs a lot of personality in that tiny body of hers

JP Friend Code
    For the most part some players also came from Genshin and was not used to MHY's savage mode. MHY has been pretty unhinged back in the days (there were pedos, sex cult, human experiments...etc) and since Honkai series have a more matured target audience they can go wild a lot more. There was a djinn NPC in Sumeru world quest who was racist and it got so many of Genshin players shocked, but it's optional content so ppl didn't bother so much and Scaramussy shitposting is still pale in comparison to some of the Honkai lesser villains (most recent being Moriarty that little shit makes Scaramussy looks like an angel). With multiple playable characters so far having questionable personalities and morals, it seems MHY had enough with restraining their wild side in Genshin.

I told 'em, I told 'em. Bugrit! eddyak's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    A bit later than my playthrough ended, but Shaoji is cooking up some good shit here (even if he is kind of doing Hoyoverse Among Us for the second time), and I think I see a few things coming.

Aventurine doesn't seem to know how real relationships work, like Sparkle said. He isn't even creepy in a cool way like Kafka is, he's just being a dick. I don't really blame him for it, given he's hinted to have some from a planet/species/race/whatever that Sparkle's hinted to be actively malicious social manipulators, but I still can't muster anything in the way of like for him.

Sparkle is savage, and also a massive bitch, and it's refreshing. Can't tell if I like her or not yet without any actual time spent with her where she isn't pretending to be SPOILER.

Firefly's... interesting. Kawaii uguu waifu bait aside, there's a lot more going on beneath the surface in her case.

Kalpa- I mean Sam- not much to say here except his timing is sus, and he's kind of awesome.

Acheron, cool as fuck, but why am I so hellbent on rolling for the characters with katanas? I don't even like katanas! Her nodachi's great though.

Story spoilers:
    Spoiler:
    Penacony is an arc where everybody's lying, or being lied to.

Aventurine's first CG moment was him handing us one of the three chips he mentioned to Black Swan, and probably tried to give one to Ratio and/or Sparkle. We're one of his big plays, and he outright needs us for something. The Stellaron might be a red herring, he wants someone in our position for some reason.

Acheron's redtext thing, I don't think we have the context to figure out yet. I am fairly sure that there's someone speaking through her or that she's someone else in disguise, or is being manipulated, and it's not just her apparently being an Emanator of Finality, which is so good for us HI3 nerds.

The other memokeeper Black Swan mentioned is also an active player, and we may even have seen her, whether disguised as someone else or not.

Firefly's story isn't done. I doubt she's going to get up and go "welp that was scary, time to join the Express!" but her death, real or not, was the end of her as an active participant in the story, I think.

Robin had a suspicious as fuck Honkai-looking crack in her, looking like HI3's Senadina if I'm being honest. Wonder what's up with that. Actually, I wonder if she was even Robin in the first place- I didn't spot it myself, but multiple people pointed out that there was something up with her voice when we first met her.
    FGO Supports
    NA
    JP

Aventurine doesn't seem to know how real relationships work, like Sparkle said. He isn't even creepy in a cool way like Kafka is, he's just being a dick. I don't really blame him for it, given he's hinted to have some from a planet/species/race/whatever that Sparkle's hinted to be actively malicious social manipulators, but I still can't muster anything in the way of like for him.
    Taking the racist stereotypes of his planet that she obviously used to get under his skin at face value is certainly The Choice™️ of all time.

- - - Updated - - -

Like call me crazy I would first assume that him being a slave in super space capitalism org would have more to do with his personality being unpleasant

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    I dunno, we've already had a character whose entire planet seems to have a missing emotion (Kafka, fear)- It wouldn't surprise me to find out there's a race/species that has the ability to exploit social connections somehow. That'd be a lot more interesting than yet another weak attempt at exploring racism.
    FGO Supports
    NA
    JP

It's going to be bad regardless because if they play Sparkle's assertions straight it's still going to land on "What if all the harmful stereotypes of Romani were true actually?". This could be avoided if they didn't make the connections themselves but they did

- - - Updated - - -

And once again, I have more reason to believe that he's terrible because he's a slave in super space capitalism org. He has a questionable mindset that could be explained by however he grew up (His love of taking big risks and coming out the victor, the few times his mask breaks and he seems actually upset/uncomfortable by stuff) but I will not be taking proud shit stirrer Sparkle's words for it

Blog Entries
    I feel called out by the devs for not watching Oppenheimer.

JP Friend Code
    Finished everything in the patch so far aside from some of the funky achievements. Just this prologue set up alone already dunk on the entirety of Luofu arc lol. The environment settings and mechanics are also more engaging than Luofu maps.

Quote Originally Posted by eddyak View Post
    Spoiler:
    Penacony is an arc where everybody's lying, or being lied to.

Aventurine's first CG moment was him handing us one of the three chips he mentioned to Black Swan, and probably tried to give one to Ratio and/or Sparkle. We're one of his big plays, and he outright needs us for something. The Stellaron might be a red herring, he wants someone in our position for some reason.

Acheron's redtext thing, I don't think we have the context to figure out yet. I am fairly sure that there's someone speaking through her or that she's someone else in disguise, or is being manipulated, and it's not just her apparently being an Emanator of Finality, which is so good for us HI3 nerds.

The other memokeeper Black Swan mentioned is also an active player, and we may even have seen her, whether disguised as someone else or not.

Firefly's story isn't done. I doubt she's going to get up and go "welp that was scary, time to join the Express!" but her death, real or not, was the end of her as an active participant in the story, I think.

Robin had a suspicious as fuck Honkai-looking crack in her, looking like HI3's Senadina if I'm being honest. Wonder what's up with that. Actually, I wonder if she was even Robin in the first place- I didn't spot it myself, but multiple people pointed out that there was something up with her voice when we first met her.
    Going by the 4th wall breaking line she said at the beginning about hearing multiple versions of the Trailblazer speaking, Acheron might have the power to sense or perceive multiple timelines. She also clearly knew of the future ahead and warned the Trailblazer. The red text might also be what she refers to, about whenever you make a choice a red spark will appear (the red text) so by the end of the arc when it goes full circle and she reveals her true identity as a deus ex machina trump card because Shaoji is a Mei simp that is definitely what he'll do, it will explain everything. But I highly doubt her role will end in this arc, she'll be a recurring character in the overarching plot for sure.

Misha is also extremely sus. The name Mikhail in multiple scenes the MC hear the voices and text about is actually the Russian version of the name Misha, and the kid is the second one we actually meet in Acheron's dreamspace. It is also the name Michael which might also be referring to that angel, and the Robin Sunday siblings have angelic wings and halo. The kid's technique is throwing a clock bomb thingy and it freezes targets in time, which might tie to his role in the whole Watchmaker legacy stuffs (he might be the heir of the Watchmaker).

Re: Acheron
    Spoiler:

Maybe?

Adventurine also uses gold for the word "Truth" near the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Mashina View Post
    Adventurine also uses gold for the word "Truth" near the end.
    Several characters use gold text though, at the very beginning when Aventurine says he was invited by the "Watchmaker" and Sunday when he says the Family are "the actual administrators" of Penacony. Gold really is just a highlight for the player saying pay real attention to THIS.

Acheron's red text is different because it's pop ups seemingly at random (for now), and apparently not only your responses but I saw people say MC's gender also affect certain red lines from her.

JP Friend Code
    Currently the red text she said that has variations have 3 different responses where she either joke or make up different reasons for her Zoro moments. As for the other red text it is definitely for emphasis on important information she wants the Trailblazer to keep in mind so it will make sense later. Another theory I saw is that she has a different personality talking.

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Yeah, she responds with entirely different lines depending on the TB's gender and also the answers they give- at one point your answer to her question about the room either determines whether she remembers this isn't her room or not, or else she just bases her answer on whatever you said.
    FGO Supports
    NA
    JP

Blog Entries
    So, side missions.

Envision A Rose Forthcoming > The Trees At Peace > Goodness Is Rare = Cosmic Star.

If it were any other patch, TTAP would be sharing the first place, but not after the main story.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Kirishima's Avatar
    The peniscone planet has so much charm and personality packed into it it's kinda insane. Is this recency bias from me or does Penacony just feel so much more alive than anything in GI or HSR prior? I guess it's literally... alive... Peaknacony indeed. Good shit so far though my only complaint is speedrunning firefly's introduction so her "shocking moment" can make you sad but it barely lands because I knew her for 10 minutes. Whatever I guess this ain't the end for her at all I'm sure. I really like every other character though. Super refreshing for Sparkle to just be fucking terrible to everyone without a care in the world and just causing chaos.

Don't @ me if your fanfic doesn't even have Shirou/Illya shipping k thnx ItsaRandomUsername's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    If nothing else, whales are definitely a symbol of Akivili. Important motif in the Astral Express, and featuring prominently in Penacony, the history of which was influenced by Nameless.
    Last edited by ItsaRandomUsername; February 12th, 2024 at 03:43 AM.
    McJon01: We all know that the real reason Archer would lose to Rider is because the events of his own Holy Grail War left him with a particular weakness toward "older sister" types.
    My Fanfics. Read 'em. Or not.

JP Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirishima View Post
    The peniscone planet has so much charm and personality packed into it it's kinda insane. Is this recency bias from me or does Penacony just feel so much more alive than anything in GI or HSR prior? I guess it's literally... alive... Peaknacony indeed. Good shit so far though my only complaint is speedrunning firefly's introduction so her "shocking moment" can make you sad but it barely lands because I knew her for 10 minutes. Whatever I guess this ain't the end for her at all I'm sure. I really like every other character though. Super refreshing for Sparkle to just be fucking terrible to everyone without a care in the world and just causing chaos.
    I'd say it's partially because they are not restrained to having to represent cultures of a particular country or region IRL. Luofu was visually nice as Space China but it feels lifeless most of the time (hopefully the other ships get better). Like they mentioned on the dev livestream, the theme this time is dream + jazz era + capitalism + cartoon, so they are free to go wild. The environment design has always been pretty great with MHY, but to make the region feel alive they also need onpoint visual representations and great writing on the NPCs, which they managed to pull off pretty great this time. HSR already had nice sidequests previously but this time they made use of the settings, the theme and the new environment designs to their advantage. And this is only the prologue of the region so I am curious how insane it would look by the end of the arc.

As for the writing of Firefly, that's pretty much Shaoji's style. If he kills a key character so suddenly and abrupt early, chance that said character was killed off at that time to be saved for later return, using a set of specific plot mechanics that has already been planned from the start. Dreamville is a world protected by Xipe's blessings so that dying in the dream won't affect you. Sunday also said "spiritual death" instead of "death", implying that the victim's soul is affected but not their body in the real world. Tho that would mean they are as good as dead since they cannot wake up in the real world until you return their soul. And how do you get their soul back? Well, the answer is already right there with the boss' gameplay mechanic. It kills your characters, you break its soul prison thingy to free their souls. It has to come into play at one point.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ItsaRandomUsername View Post
    If nothing else, whales are definitely a symbol of Akivili. Important motif in the Astral Express, and featuring prominently in Penacony, the history of which was influenced by Nameless.
    Space whales are also very sus cuz there is one in Genshin too. Maybe Akivili did visit Teyvat before but the star rail leading there was destroyed after Akivili's disappearance.

Blog Entries
    Twitter event

And three choco illusts.

Only one won't drug you!

JP Friend Code
    I'll take from both mommies anydays. The gremlin needs connection first because hers are more sus than anyone's.

Don't @ me if your fanfic doesn't even have Shirou/Illya shipping k thnx ItsaRandomUsername's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    Soon, Sparkle-chan, soon indeed
    McJon01: We all know that the real reason Archer would lose to Rider is because the events of his own Holy Grail War left him with a particular weakness toward "older sister" types.
    My Fanfics. Read 'em. Or not.