Thread: CONCEPT: Fanfic Opening Ideas

US Friend Code

CONCEPT: Fanfic Opening Ideas

So... I am currently working on a fanfic. However, as I had originally planned on making something akin to KKHTA (see spoiler); however this ended up getting cancelled (or at the very least postponed until further notice) due to a number of reasons...

Spoiler:

However! My dream is not dead! I am currently looking into making a sort of "opening sequence" in a style similar to the above. Mood would start light, then slowly descend into scenes more akin to something like Berserk. Song selection was difficult, but I think I've settled on AKB48's "Everyday, Katyusha" (see spoiler).

Spoiler:

I have experience with making videos and I can draw a bit (at least on paper, drawing digitally on an iPad is going to be... interesting. I might just need to go with scans of physical pages, but I don't want this to devolve into Sonichu territory...), but organizing an opening sequence will be new for me. If anyone has any ideas or pointers on how to structure something like this (again, I'm using the first video as a sort of guide), please hit me up. Furthermore, I expect this to take some time, as I am working and have school and other life shit going on, so if anyone is looking for a new project to collaborate on feel free to reach out to me, I will give proper credit and am also open to helping out on other projects (speaking of which... does this forum have any projects people are currently working on? I would love to get involved...)

Spoiler:
    Last edited by BladeOfEden; May 7th, 2023 at 05:00 PM.

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Alright, so animating shit is a NIGHTMARE, I'm gonna be frank- what I'd suggest is something like this, where you take a panoramic/horizontally wide image, and do a slow pan across it. You can do a text crawl on one side of the screen if you want, but you're aiming for the least amount of effort/ time spent making images. If you DO decide to scan in physical pages, I would recommend doing sketches on paper, then importing them as a layer on your digital program, doing lines and color there. Alternatively, if you don't do the panoramic crawl, I'd suggest something like this, where images fade in, as it is similarly simple to put together

JP Friend Code
    616288630 tell/pm/whatev
    Blog Entries
    I actually made one...

Spoiler:

My tip to make one is... compromise XD. You can't have sakuga OP XD.

US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Vididii View Post
    Alright, so animating shit is a NIGHTMARE
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    My tip to make one is... compromise XD. You can't have sakuga OP XD.
    Oh, believe me, I know that ALL too well. Why is why I am going to follow the KKHTA route (if you’re unfamiliar with the style, see the attachment in the OP) which consists more of stills of different scenes. Something that I was hoping to look into though was maybe getting a few guest artists to submit some artwork (nothing too fancy, again, we’re following KKHTA’s style) of particular characters doing particular things and include that as well (I’d still handle most of the work myself, but a few featured shots by different people would be fun; maybe it could grow into something where we all put stuff together for different fanfic stories).
    Last edited by BladeOfEden; May 8th, 2023 at 06:11 PM.

JP Friend Code
    616288630 tell/pm/whatev
    Blog Entries
    Mm, I suppose if you can draw many frames that's plausible. But if you think it's too much work and planning to use other images/FCs, you can try to copy VN style opening. They managed to be interesting while mostly just using PNGs.