Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Type-Moon Wiki: What's their deal?

JP Friend Code
    003254397 / Ratman
    Blog Entries
    If things progressed back then as they do on TMWiki, we could have had 'Denial of Virginity' as an official subtitle for the First. It would have been a different kind of world, a brighter one, but with harsher shadows.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't forget the Seikadoc, either.

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle
    JP Friend Code
    It's kind of just part and parcel with any wiki situation. Each will have their own specific failings, but any open collaborative effort is bound to have its issues.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubergeneral View Post
    This thread alone is more of the same. Imagine thinking you know more than the people writing the wiki?
    As a proud co-author of the wiki (they take my translations without asking) I'm happy you show me the respect I deserve.

Blog Entries
    Beast's lair is elitist. They claim to know more than the wiki but won't say what is actually not factual. Other things I've read seem dubious or aren't 100% confirmed but act as if it is but never cite where they got this info from.

Just a reminder for someone to be cannon it needs to possible to.cite somewhere. If it cant it is a fan theory. Not fact

This thread alone is more of the same. Imagine thinking you know more than the people writing the wiki?
    I mean if you really need a specific citation that badly, Kayneth's age used to be listed as "late 30s" with a citation to a source that mentioned absolutely nothing about his age. I would wager that other old pages suffer from the same problems.

Why are we supposed to be respectful of a wiki scattered with made up facts? Half the time I'm posting questions in the questions thread, it's over me finding something confusing on the wiki, asking for clarification, and it turning out whoever added the info misunderstood the source text.

JP Friend Code
    nonexistant
    Imagine thinking you know more than the people writing the wiki?
    The wiki is just as fanbased is this forum. It's not an official source.
    Given that, I'll take the word of ppl like Petri, Comun and fumei over anyone on the wiki.
    burn your dread you coward

What do you think writing on a wiki requires? Being in mensa? Literally anyone can change anything on there. Didn't your teachers in school ever hammer it in that wikipedia is not a valid source for this exact reason?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Ugh cokesakto no no no
    Quote Originally Posted by Neir View Post
    your ability to be wrong about literally everything you post is truly astounding. Even a broken clock is right twice a day, but you haven't been right once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kateikyo View Post
    The gay pics were the most entertaining thing going on in this discussion.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fumei View Post
    What do you think writing on a wiki requires?
    https://medium.com/backchannel/meet-...e-10508842caad

Giraffedata is something of a superstar among the tiny circle of people who closely monitor Wikipedia, one of the most popular websites in the English-speaking world. About 8 million English Wikipedia articles are visited every hour, yet only a tiny fraction of readers click the ‘edit’ button in the top right corner of every page. And only 30,000 or so people make at least five edits per month to the quickly growing site.

Giraffedata—a 51-year-old software engineer named Bryan Henderson—is among the most prolific contributors, ranking in the top 1,000 most active editors. While some Wikipedia editors focus on adding content or vetting its accuracy, and others work to streamline the site’s grammar and style, generally few, if any, adopt Giraffedata’s approach to editing: an unrelenting, multi-year project to fix exactly one grammatical error.

Henderson has now made over 47,000 edits to the site since 2007, virtually all of them addressing this one linguistic pet peeve. Article by article, week by week, Henderson redacts imperfect sentences, tightening them almost imperceptibly. “I’m proud of it,” says Henderson of the project. “It’s just fun for me. I’m not doing it to have any impact on the world.”

Every Sunday night before going to bed, Henderson follows an editing routine that allows him to efficiently work on the approximately 70 to 80 new ‘comprised of’ errors that appear on the encyclopedia each week. The entire process takes an hour, at most.
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

JP Friend Code
    nonexistant
    Is that a rallying cry?

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Hawkeye's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    “It’s just fun for me. I’m not doing it to have any impact on the world.”
    I wish fandom was as good as wikipedia, it's a lot better than people give it credit for, like perpetrating a wikipedia hoax is basically impossible, the moderation team is on it so fast. I'm just trying to slowly transcribe as accurate data as I can as far as editing goes, though I am obviously limited in not being a translator. -_-l
    Quote Originally Posted by Break View Post
    are MILFS and lolis the only two types of women you think exist in Ireland?
    Galleries for Stuff
    Gallery for Fate/GUDAGUDA Order
    http://imgur.com/a/4ErFN

Gallery for Learning with Manga! GO
    http://imgur.com/a/qlLc5#0

Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    an unrelenting, multi-year project to fix exactly one grammatical error.
    and to drive the point home further, it's not even really an error. A point of contention to hardcore grammar types maybe, but to the vast majority of the anglophone population it's a normal and therefore correct construction. It's just not actively harmful to get rid of it, so no one other than other grammar warriors cares if he really wants to make that the hill he wants to die on.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors AAM1232's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirishima View Post
    Are you under the belief people that write the wiki have divine knowledge your average fan is not privy to? If you want examples, someone edited the wiki "confirming" one of SF Hassan's NPs, but it was based on a misunderstanding of something Comun translated. They also keep a mistranslation of Lu Bu's profile up in his page. The erroneous belief Beasts represent a "sin" also started from someone just writing it there for no good reason. There's more.
    This tbf I don't think was that intentional considering how the person who began that article got chased off due other admin powertrips about TL choices.

Never thought a wiki would bring about these pent-up feelings but hey, excellent entertainment

US Friend Code
    The dissenter has been silenced? It seems the Secret Police have struck once again….

The biggest pet peeve I have concerning them is how much everything is capitalized. It feels like you can't go a paragraph without finding at least one word given that sort of unnecessary treatment. Bleh.

JP Friend Code
    nonexistant
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeOfEden View Post
    The dissenter has been silenced? It seems the Secret Police have struck once again….
    Nah.
    He just comes in, drops a take, then disappears.
    Sometimes he remembers what he posted and addresses some of the replies. Most of the time he shows up later having forgotten all of it, bringing up something else like nothing ever happened.

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Great for taipu muun shit posting

Your not a TYPE MOON fan if you don't even own a TM Merch or haven't fapped to a TM character.

Quote Originally Posted by Exhaunted View Post
    The biggest pet peeve I have concerning them is how much everything is capitalized. It feels like you can't go a paragraph without finding at least one word given that sort of unnecessary treatment. Bleh.
    That and the overuse of parenthesis after a translation to show what the JP text is and what it literally means and how that differs from the word preceding the parenthesis. Of course it's useful and appropriate in a lot of places on a wiki, but I mean...

Though the "Universe" (宇宙, Uchū?) permits the birth of unlimited possibilities, countless Adjacent Worlds, and divergent developments of history, as the unrestricted propagation of this process would quickly exhaust the Universe's lifespan, those extraneous WorldsRoutes (世界ルート, sekairūto?) removed of the category of "timelines characterized by strength and stability" are periodically culled (伐採, basai?) by the existence known as the World (世界という者, Sekai to Iu Mono?, lit. "the thing called the World")[2] so as to prevent the needless expenditure of energy.[1] The facilitation of this process is referred to as the Conservation of Phenomena (事象保存, Jijō Hozon?), effected by way of a heuristic audits (集計, Shukei?) of cumulative timeline survivability (進むと可能性, susumu to kanōsei?, lit. "prospects and potential")—judging the persistence of a timeline's Parallel WorldsBranching Potential (平行世界かのうせい, heikō sekaikanōsei?) across the subsequent century.
    Or, the absolute best one on the same page:
    Worlds that lie within the "trunk" are said to be "comparable" (他と同じ世界, hoka to onaji sekai?, lit. "Worlds comparable to the others") of "Foundation" (世界の基盤, Sekai no Kiban?, lit. "Foundation of a World")
    Like thanks, what an efficient use of footnotes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Ugh cokesakto no no no
    Quote Originally Posted by Neir View Post
    your ability to be wrong about literally everything you post is truly astounding. Even a broken clock is right twice a day, but you haven't been right once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kateikyo View Post
    The gay pics were the most entertaining thing going on in this discussion.

I told 'em, I told 'em. Bugrit! eddyak's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    I think that's actually less readable for someone who only knows english than just the plain japanese.
    FGO Supports
    NA
    JP

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    That and the overuse of parenthesis after a translation to show what the JP text is and what it literally means and how that differs from the word preceding the parenthesis. Of course it's useful and appropriate in a lot of places on a wiki, but I mean...

That's Fallacies for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Kirishima's Avatar

Can't this be solved by just putting the original japanese in the source like in brackets? What's the point of putting both the [source] and (original japanese) right next to each other?