Thread: How does one get involved in one of these RP threads?

US Friend Code

How does one get involved in one of these RP threads?

I’ve never tried anything like this before so… is there a ”for dummies” thread anywhere talking about how to get involved? I’ve heard about stuff like DnD, but never really had anyone to actually try playing that sort of stuff with so… Yeah. I have idea what I’m supposed to do to even get started here. I’ve seen a few rule posts about specific games but they seem kind of… complicated. Are there any recommendations or tips you lot would have for someone who has little to no experience with something like this?

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Generally speaking, the GM will open a campaign, post a rulebook, and ask for applicants. Applicants send in their character sheets, the GM picks however many they like, and then the players start posting accordingly. If you see a new OOC thread posted asking for players, that's your cue to apply. Otherwise, RPs you see IC threads for are already full and merely suitable for reading.

Sometimes people host RP campaigns on Discord, but I'm not familiar with the specifics of that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    Generally speaking, the GM will open a campaign, post a rulebook, and ask for applicants. Applicants send in their character sheets, the GM picks however many they like, and then the players start posting accordingly. If you see a new OOC thread posted asking for players, that's your cue to apply. Otherwise, RPs you see IC threads for are already full and merely suitable for reading.
    I see. How do these games typically “play out”? Do I need to get dice and stuff like that? Some of these have rolling mechanics… how does that work? Do people hop on a group call and play or something? How do character sheets work? How much info do you need to put? What do you need to put? How much is too much, and how little is too little? How often do people post games? Do they fill up fast?

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Dice rolling generally gets done through Discord bots or on dice simulating websites. Your general BL RP is play-by-post, but people occasionally advertise more immediate campaigns here that take place on sites like Roll20. GMs generally indicate what information they want from applicants on their sheets in their rulebooks and establishing posts. Quality matters more than quantity; you can write 26 pages and not get in or 2 pages and get picked. Most sheets tend to have a face claim and basic details about personality and backstory at minimum, along with whatever mechanical details are necessary.

Games being posted depends entirely upon whoever decides to GM and feels like they have the time to do it. Established GMs generally have plenty of applicants, while newer faces have a higher bar for attracting people. Application periods typically last a couple of weeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    For D&D and tabletop, you want to look at the tabletop thread. That isn't for attracting players for games so much as talking about games, though.

In this subforum the RPs are more often done by posting in threads (play by post) and is a longer form, slower burn format that lets you take advantage of the medium to delve deeper into your character and narrative. You can read some existing games to get a sense for it.
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

Oho it's nice to see new people taking an interest. I highly recommend joining the Discord and poking around there. Back in the day we communicated through IRC chat, but IRC feels obselete these days haha.
    Go check out some awesome fan fiction!
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com/forumdisplay.php/5-Fanfics
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph.../FateStayNight
    Because the remaining ten percent is worth dieing for.

Fortissimo EXA//Akkord:Bsusvier, Magi locked in a deadly battle royal. Sounds familiar right? Familiar and AWESOME.
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com/showthread...eo-Walkthrough