Thread: Any significance/appearance of chess in type-moon media?

Any significance/appearance of chess in type-moon media?

I figured it's a pretty cool board game with alot of history. What are some particular forms of media (anime, vn etc) that covers characters playing it/implementing it in the form of said media?

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I think a lot of writers don't exactly play chess often, and when they include it in anime and stuff it usually ends up awkwardly mechanical or stilted (or wrong) like in Code Geass. So it usually exists in a figurative sense rather than an actual game. Fate/Zero uses it like this with Gilgamesh doodling around with the servants-as-chess-pieces.
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl, þonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    What tickles me about the Gilgamesh scene is that to avoid an awkward space due to the fact that there are only seven classes, the gameboard itself was shrunk to a 7x7 board instead of the normal 8x8.

But regardless, as was previously mentioned Chess just tends to be artistic/symbolic in Fate itself. I think Gawain's profile in Fate/Extra or FGO mentions he's pretty good at it but the game never actually is relevant as far as I can remember.
    "Here's a bangin lil' tune about takin' on The Man!"

(Check out my Super Special Awesome Servant Compendium here)

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skull View Post
    I think Gawain's profile in Fate/Extra or FGO mentions he's pretty good at it but the game never actually is relevant as far as I can remember.
    It's CCC dialogue with Gawain rating himself in the upper half of the Round Table chess player tier list, telling Percival and Galahad were players on his level, and begrudgingly placing Lancelot a tier above himself. If you don't mind, I'd love to how you, in your Round Table expertise, would complete the tier list with the remaining 9 characters.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    I think a lot of writers don't exactly play chess often, and when they include it in anime and stuff it usually ends up awkwardly mechanical or stilted (or wrong) like in Code Geass. So it usually exists in a figurative sense rather than an actual game. Fate/Zero uses it like this with Gilgamesh doodling around with the servants-as-chess-pieces.
    I've finished the original code geass show and yeah I understand your point. Tbh It's really funny how they thought the kings could touch

- - - Updated - - -

What tickles me about the Gilgamesh scene is that to avoid an awkward space due to the fact that there are only seven classes, the gameboard itself was shrunk to a 7x7 board instead of the normal 8x8.

But regardless, as was previously mentioned Chess just tends to be artistic/symbolic in Fate itself. I think Gawain's profile in Fate/Extra or FGO mentions he's pretty good at it but the game never actually is relevant as far as I can remember.

Honestly what's even weirder is that there's a holy grail piece in the middle of the board (when I searched for fate chessboards). It changes the entire perspective of the game alongside with the new pieces and board setup. I really would've wished chess got represented in a more formal, straightup way but I can see why its symbolised as the game of war in those particular media.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Hawkeye's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    There was ordinary chess in Last Encore. It was shown as one of the ways participants were eliminated, with Leo defeating the Chess club champ and thus earning his spot past the preliminaries apparently. Course it wasn't particularly detailed and mostly plays into the symbolism of conflict thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Break View Post
    are MILFS and lolis the only two types of women you think exist in Ireland?
    Galleries for Stuff
    Gallery for Fate/GUDAGUDA Order
    http://imgur.com/a/4ErFN

Gallery for Learning with Manga! GO
    http://imgur.com/a/qlLc5#0

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    The chess game played in episode 1 of LE was also a metaphor for an actual Servant battle (according to the script). In the actual events that transpired there, Leo and Mr. Random Master fought with Servants and the latter got killed.

JP Friend Code
    nonexistant
    Deep Nuance™
    burn your dread you coward

In the UBW anime, an infodump was visualised with chess pieces.

Everyone liked that.

Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl, þonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Everybody's just waiting for the moment the Bobby Fischer Watcher Servant drops and revolutionizes the way Holy Grail Wars are narratively conducted.

"Here's a bangin lil' tune about takin' on The Man!"

(Check out my Super Special Awesome Servant Compendium here)

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Hawkeye's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Everybody's just waiting for the moment the Bobby Fischer Watcher Servant drops and revolutionizes the way Holy Grail Wars are narratively conducted.
    Maybe not Bobby Fischer, but it could be a neat narrative device to have an omnipotent narrator type illustrate it that way, like how Twice bookends the extra chapters or how Zelretch did the Ayaka selection thing at the start of strange fake.
    Quote Originally Posted by Break View Post
    are MILFS and lolis the only two types of women you think exist in Ireland?
    Galleries for Stuff
    Gallery for Fate/GUDAGUDA Order
    http://imgur.com/a/4ErFN

Gallery for Learning with Manga! GO
    http://imgur.com/a/qlLc5#0

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftovers View Post
    In the UBW anime, an infodump was visualised with chess pieces.

Everyone liked that.
    The episode previews in ubw show what's happening in the next ep with chess pieces.
    That was good way to do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

JP Friend Code
    nonexistant
    Well... kinda. Shirou was a pawn and Rin was a queen, and maybe Kirei was a bishop or something? But all the Servants were represented by their Class statue thingies. I don't remember what Gil was represented by.
    burn your dread you coward

JP Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by TomPen94 View Post
    I don't remember what Gil was represented by.
    A gold-ish pawn
    Illya was also a pawn but with Dress of Heaven's crown on it
    Last edited by Hakuno; May 17th, 2023 at 01:18 PM.

JP Friend Code
    In Apocrypha, there was the chess game between Darnic and Avicebron. As for story relevance, I recall Darnic used a Grail piece to declare checkmate and there was a black Pawn that fell on the floor to represent Sieg, I think.

In the 1st Opening, there is also a 7x7, red/white chess board with Servants classes as chess pieces, where they are black and red to represent the two Factions.
    Last edited by Rentenzen; May 24th, 2023 at 12:12 PM.