Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Apotheosis: Shadows of a Bright Republic (IC)

US Friend Code
    Markus Braun
    March 11, 1000 AS
    Around Noon
    Tullii Taverna, Harbortown

Markus’ ears perked up at the mention of slaves.

He had heard tales of such evils occurring on the mainland, but such stories had always given off an air of exaggerated fantasy, like bedtime stories meant to frighten children into behaving.

The sight of the man known as Bai, however, filled him with dread. The way he smiled at the two women made his stomach churn.

It was then that Markus had an idea. A stupid, foolish idea, one he would normally not dare to attempt. However, if he could get the two women on board…

Removing his hood, Markus approached the two men. He tilted his head down slightly, so as to cast a slight shadow to hide his youthfulness, and contorted his face into a wolf’s smile.

“Well now, gentlemen, is it true that you have brought some new merchandise in? I have a need for a few more whelps to manage my fields and wenches to keep me company.”

…What the hell was he saying?

He hardly looked the part of a slaver, with his youthful features and unassuming clothing. These men would have to be incredibly desperate to fall for such a ruse.

That, or incredibly stupid.
    Last edited by BladeOfEden; July 24th, 2023 at 09:41 AM.

March 11, 1000 AS
    Around Noon
    Volcania, Gabby, Markus

"Fuck was that, Vorcano? You want go a round with Big Bai?" The man is, in fact, skinny as a twig. "I fuck you up, good, bitch! Fuck you rike you Patrian fuck sissy boy!" And he lashes out at Volcania with his fist, hitting her square in the chest. But Bai cries out in pain as he strikes Volcania: his fingers dislocating as they make contact with her rock hard abs. "What the fuck? You eat fucking rocks, Vorcano? You get chromed up?" There's a crack as he sets each finger back into place. "Nah, too broke. Like little Republican boy here." Big Bai's eyes flick to Markus. "I got Patria girrs and Raktine girrs. You can't afford Repubrican girrs. Hard to nab, so cost premium! Bahaha!" And he gives the prices, valuing foreign girls at around 1 Wealth, and Republican girls at 2. Less attractive girls and male laborers he values at roughly 1 Wealth for a small mob of them. Of course, our heroes are far too righteous (and cosmopolitan) for such things! Right?

Gabby gets the distinct feeling that, given Bai's lack of reaction to having his hand utterly fucked up, he's likely coked out of his mind on something or another. "Vorcano! You broke Big Bai's hand! How you pay for this, bitch? Give me mouthy girr!" He jabs a finger at Gabby. "She insurt Big Bai's honor!"

"Sir." the Sea Ren speaks up again. "I don't think this is a good-"

"Fuck's sake, Pranav, shut up! Trying to make business dear, here! Important work! Got to pay Boss bodyguards! Money no grow on trees!"

Dorothy

"Shit, you piss someone off enough that the Reaper is after ya, Doc?" the Akeh man gives a sad shake of his head. "Been nice knowing ya, Doc. You've been good for this shithole."

At her offer to allow himself silence, he shakes his head. "No, it isn't that. More like we don't know much about her. She used to have a hotline for taking clients, but even that closed down about a month ago. Beginning of February, I think? Either way, I got the old number for it. Don't ask me how and I'd be willin' to give it to you. Not that it'd be much use." Despite his words, he hands over the old assassin hotline number, complete with a guide on what specific phone booths to make the call from in Harbortown, as well as code phrases to use.

US Friend Code
    Markus Braun
    March 11, 1000 AS
    Around Noon

“Now, now, my good man, surely you know better than to underestimate how much men such as ourselves are willing to spend to satisfy our more carnal desires?” Markus snickered. “Please allow me to assess your wares. If one of your treasures should catch my eye… Well, let’s just say I’m willing to cut a few corners to afford such a prize.”

His eyes twitched slightly. Hopefully these creeps would take it as a sign of impatience, as opposed to surmising just how nervous he actually was.

“Come now, don’t mind these two,” he said nonchalantly, motioning towards Volcania and Gabrielle. “Let’s see the goods.”

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    March 11, 1000 AS
    Around Noon
    Volcania

"Uh-huh."

Being punched does nothing to dampen Volcania's mood. It only brightens her smile further until it is almost painful to look at.

She suddenly thrusts her arm forward and up, lifting the annoying druggie before her off his feet.

"Bye, Bai."

Then she turns and hurls the man through the air. He flies clear over the crowd, and right through the tavern door that for whatever reason is already open for his 'escape'. It slams shut after him.

"Go do your shopping outside, kiddo." Volcania turns to the rest of the gangsters and cracks her knuckles. "Pranav, was it? You got a head on your shoulders. Wanna use it?"

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Gabrielle Monet
    March 11, 1000 AS
    Around Noon

Well, there he goes!

Gabrielle let herself grin a little as she watch Bai get a bit of what he deserved, flying over the crown and out the mysteriously open door. Shouldn't that have been closed? There was no one walking in... after a moment, she mentally shrugged and turned in the direction the man flew off.

"Well, I swore an oath to help the poor and sick and all that, so I'm gonna go make sure Mister Bai didn't break anything vital. Have fun, Volcania! Don't leave me and the Doc too much work!"

He wasn't getting off that easy if Gabby had anything to say about it.
    <Satehi> thank you based admin of justice, he/she who doth bring forward the true gospel

Dorothea Ionescu
    March 11, 1000 AS
    Around Noon

Red eyes flickered as a dirty-looking pencil rasped over a briskly produced notepad, which just as quickly vanished into the folds of the white coat the vagabond doctor wore.

"I have a feeling this isn't the sort of person to simply drop the blade and fit the plow."

There is an interest, personal or professional.

"A month ago, hm?"

'specially given the first of us only started showin' up bout a month ago.

Perhaps a coincidence.

But she felt it wasn't.

A pale hand tugged at the strap nestled against the simple green shirt, ruby eyes narrowing behind glasses they didn't need.

"Well, thank you for the information," She dipped her head gratefully, "You are always welcome at the clinic, and I would appreciate it if you stopped by if you hear anything else."

There was a brief lull in the noise around her, as her eyes flicked like a hungry animal towards the body flying through the air, landing in what was likely to be a sodden heap.

"Haah, how troublesome," She complained, "I tell dear Miss Patricia I'm only out for a small word with some associates and now it seems work has found me."

The idea of blithely ignoring the situation unfolding before her was not even considered.

Sparing a brief moment of eye contact for her fellow(?) healing-inclined person, she moved out into the taverna proper, keeping one eye fixed on that giant-woman and the cloaked fellow and another searching for that younger lass with the outlandish haircut.

If they were allies, and she was as capable with these invisible lines of communication as she seemed to be...

Well, the first step on a foreign road should be to seek out one who has been there.

US Friend Code
    Markus Braun
    March 11, 1000 AS
    Around Noon

The man Markus had been conversing with went flying out the tavern door.

What a pain.

Sighing, he pulled out his phone, and sent a quick message to Astra.

Relay to the others that I’m trying to track down some slaves that were smuggled in. If they’re interested in helping, please have them come outside and ask the ugly-looking man Volcania just chucked out the door about purchasing some. Also, please refrain from picking any more fights with him and his accomplices until after the captives have been liberated.

Turning to the door, he walked out after Bai, and found him lying on the ground passed out a short ways from the entrance.

Misericors intuitus,” Markus muttered quietly, staring down at the slaver. It disgusted him that he had to use his abilities to heal such a vile person, but if it was necessary…

“Hey, hey. Wake up, big man,” Markus said impatiently, lightly hitting the man in the face with the back of his hand. “Come on. I got coin to spend.”

Ad Astra
    Noonish
    March 11, 1000 AS (After Shattering)

Slavery? But that's illegal!

Right in the nose! Serves him right, go Volcania!

“Well now, gentlemen, is it true that you have brought some new merchandise in? I have a need for a few more whelps to manage my fields and wenches to keep me company.”
    Huh, well she hadn't been planning on murdering a pantheon mate before. How awkward. This is the kind of thing that might affect group cohesion. This was worse than the 11th grade chem project group project even. What a miserable month that was too.

Already scraping through the phone of the garbage on the ground... really? People, please use civilized languages. Even Gaagle Translate doesn't work on modern Ren. Copying the information to her tablet is the work of moments at least. Scrape now, process later! The address isn't that far away either.

*Bing*

She doesn't even have to look at her phone to read the message.

Oh, well. No teamfragging today then. Maybe she should trust people more?

Well, at least he had some kind of a plan.

Astra hops down the rest of the stairs taking them two at a time to hold up her phone for Volcania to see, with the text from Sheepboy on it.
    Collection of cherished moments
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotonoha View Post
    I'LL KILL YOU PLUE
    <Zagrin> I'll kill ya Plue

March 11, 1000 AS
    Around Noon
    Volcania, Gabby, Markus

Bai screams as he soars through the air, hitting the ground with a satisfing thud as his arm bends in a direction arms aren't meant to bend in."No! No no, shit! Pranav, get out here and herp me! Idiots! Beat the shit out of Vorcano!"

The men reluctantly draw a variety of weapons: improvised and not, but seem like they really don't want to try and tangle with Volcania. "Can you just rough us up a bit so we can tell the Boss we tried?" The Sea Ren called Pranav seems to be sweating bullets.

Tang, finally arriving at his boss's side, draws his blade. "Th' fuck's goin' on here, gemenr?"

Meanwhile, outside with Markus and Gabby, the man accepts Markus' healing with a grin. "Good kid! I give discount for hearing magic! Strange magic, though. What sraves you want buy?"

It happens in an instant. The air pressure around them increases seemingly tenfold as the acrid scent of rust and the sweet smell of roses floods through the alleyway. All around, people can feel that shit is about to go down, clearing the alley for whatever gang violence this place is accustomed to.

Markus's plan was, in fact, a good one. It simply failed to account for something he couldn't have known: that a True Hero was in the area. And that True Hero had just overheard him and Bai.

"Slaves?" a young Ren woman asks from the mouth of a nearby alleyway. She looked to have been about to head into it, before halting when she heard that single, fateful word. Her outfit is, frankly, ridiculous: a two piece white punk getup baring the girl's midriff. Despite the fact that she doesn't look a day over sixteen, Markus gets bad vibes at the thought of tangoing with her. "You're buying... slaves?"

From the ornate, beautiful sheathe on her hip, she draws a horrifically rusted curved sword. The girl's eyes turn wild as she levels the degraded blade in the Godbound farmboy and the Ren gangster's direction. "Buying slaves is evil, you villainous dogs! Prepare to face the righteous wrath of the hero known as Hana Yatsukahagi!" Her expression shifts to one of compassion as the True Hero gifts Gabby a radiant smile. "Don't worry, angel, your savior is here!"

Dorothy

"No problem, Doc." The mafioso nods to Dorothy. He's smart enough to know who to show respect to in these parts, and the one sewing him back together after a scrap was definitely one of those people.

Dorothy easily spots Astra, Paul, and Tang meeting up with Volcania, as well as see Markus and Gabby head outside of the taverna in pursuit of the Ren that believed he could fly. Astra shoves her strange plastic tablet called a "phone" into Volcania's face, saying something that Dorothy can't hear over the booming music.

Through the stench of sweat and reek of cheap booze, Dorothy catches a faint whiff of roses, but it's probably nothing. Right?
    Last edited by Eru Erufu; July 28th, 2023 at 10:27 AM.

US Friend Code
    Markus Braun
    March 11, 1000 AS
    Around Noon

Markus froze. The sight of the young woman made his hair stand on end, though he wasn’t entirely certain as to why. Perhaps it was the odd scent of rose and rust, or it could have also have been from the fury searing from her eyes. Either way, he most certainly did not want to get into a fight, especially against such a righteous person.

How unfortunate.

THIS was the exact sort of person he had been hoping to find. None of the others he had encountered at the tavern had the sort of righteous fury he saw in her eyes. If he could make her understand his intentions, he was certain that she would be willing to help.

There was one major problem with this, however. If he dropped the act now, the slaver he had just woken up would learn of his true motives for conspiring with him. If this came to pass, he wouldn’t be able to learn where he was keeping the poor souls they had abducted. Even if he took a crueler path and attempted to torture the man for information, there was no guarantee that he would actually reveal such details. After all, intelligence extracted in such ways has a tendency of being less than reliable.

Markus glanced over at Gabrielle. Had Astra relayed his message yet? He didn’t like to push things onto others, but there was little choice if he wanted to save the captives.

He just hoped she’d be clever enough to not blow her cover.

“Bai, was it? I think I’ll take you up on your offer. However, it seems our adorable visitor wishes to spend some time with me. My associate here will assess the livestock you’ve brought in,” Markus said haughtily as he motioned towards Gabrielle. “Now go. I may not be the most impressive-looking of men, but even I can handle an overeager whore.”

Markus regretted the words as soon as they left his lips. Even if he was just acting, this was no way to talk about a young woman. Hopefully he’d have a chance to apologize once this was all over.

“Now then, my dear,” Markus said with a smile, turning his attention to the sword-wielder. Would any of the others come to his aid? He knew he had no chance against her by himself, but so long as he could hold out until the slaver was out of earshot…

“Let the foreplay begin.”
    Last edited by BladeOfEden; July 28th, 2023 at 12:54 PM.

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    March 11, 1000 AS
    Around Noon
    Volcania

For a moment, Volcania's smile takes on a pitying, almost gentle aspect, looking at the lowlives arranged before her. It ain't their fault, not really. Men who don't know better will follow those who are strong, not those who are right. Building principles isn't something those at the bottom of the food chain get to do very often. To do so takes ethics. Tenets. Commandments from one far greater than them, to sieze their hearts and drag them up from the mud.

Then Tang arrives and the moment ends.

"What's going on, partner, is that we're throwing our pals here a little retirement party. And as presents..." Volcania raises one of her black metal axes, then reverses it in her grip as it shines beneath the strobe lights; it won't be chopping anyone tonight, just knocking some cold, blunt sense into a few foolish heads. "...one smack in the ass for every single soul you lot have traded! Don't tell that boss of yours you tried; tell him he's next, and you're calling in sick when I come for him."

The air burns. Her eyes burn. The whole room burns with invisible energy.

"Publiuuuuus!" Volcania hollers to the DJ. "Put on the good shit!"

The gladiator dives into the crowd of thugs, ready to deliver her gospel of violence.

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Gabrielle Monet
    March 11, 1000 AS
    Around Noon
    Outside Tullii Taverna, Harbortown

...huh?

Well, Gabrielle's plan was quickly ruined by Markus healing the goon she was going to interrogate. And he was still playing customer with Bai? To his credit, it was working, probably because Bai was a complete dumbass or on drugs or both. To complicate things, however, some teenage Ren girl had arrived to perform vigilante justice. Well, hopefully she'd be open to having a chat-

Quote Originally Posted by Markus
    My associate here will assess the livestock you’ve brought in
    What? No, fuck you.

"Excuse me? I'm not going along with whatever dumbass plan this is." Gabrielle grabbed hold of Bai's collar, unfortunately lacking Volcania's iron grip, but still. One solid hit should knock him flat if he tried anything. "We already have the scumbag right here. We can make him tell us. Do I need to help Miss Hana there kick your ass?"
    Last edited by Elyrin; July 28th, 2023 at 03:46 PM.
    <Satehi> thank you based admin of justice, he/she who doth bring forward the true gospel

Dorothea Ionescu
    March 11, 1000 AS
    Around Noon

She leans back a moment, blinking in the flashing lights.

Hm?

Ah.

She thinks she understands.

She squints at the text on the small screen, tilting her head back and forth.

Well, it's clearly Ren, she guesses modern, but it's difficult to tell by text alone.

A thought occurs, a memory of someone without a tongue relaying information through his device, like constructed speech.

(It made her skin crawl slightly in memory, but that was a very different situation.)

"Could you give me the audio, like, like it's talking, I mean?"

She has to repeat herself a few times, but ultimately the request is heeded, and Dorothea presses her ear close to the rectangle.

Hmm.

She leans closer to Astra, "It's difficult, but it sounds something like 'Boss Base, Do not Leak', with some added emphasis on the latter part."

She shuffles in a pocket, "Also, I found some contact information for that eavesdropper's contact, someone called 'The Reaper', some sort of assassin-type, went quiet about a month ago. Here."

She passes the note over to Astra.

"She can only be reached through a few selected phone booths, Harbortown. You're better with these things than I fear I'll ever be, so I'll pass it off for now."

She half-turns towards 'Volcania' and her second, weighing the trouble of getting involved, noting the absence of the agent and his paramore for the evening.

"Also, is the older fellow alright? He didn't seem to be in any significant danger, but..."

She paused, thoughtful.

Should probably sit down at some point and figure out what everyone can do, exactly.

Didn't help that SOME PEOPLE were being UNCOOPERATIVE.

She huffed to herself, breathing in slowly to calm herself.

'Quack doctor', hmph.

Didn't matter how many times that'd be thrown in her face, it still hurt.

A sigh.

Then she twitched as a floral scent (roses), brushed across her nose, her head jerking towards the entrance, hand rising to grasp the hilt of the great sheathed weapon across her back.

"Seems they might've gotten into trouble outside," She said, frowning.

"I'll go check on them, if you need anything, let me know."

Then her legs tensed, and she moved.

US Friend Code
    Markus Braun
    March 11, 1000 AS
    Around Noon

Excuse me? I'm not going along with whatever dumbass plan this is. We already have the scumbag right here. We can make him tell us. Do I need to help Miss Hana there kick your ass?
    Markus sighed quietly. Clearly, someone hadn’t gotten his message. To make matters worse, she had exposed his own intentions.

Turning to Gabrielle, he could see she had taken hold of the man and, judging by her wording, likely intended to threaten or possibly even torture him. Markus found this to be a stupid plan. Men such as these always had someone scarier than them to keep them in line. Bai was almost certainly under orders to not reveal any information to any potential disruptors and likely understood what would happen to him if he did. Sure, if he let the others freak him out a bit with their powers he might spill the beans, but if they did so he he would almost certainly go running his mouth about them.

“Put him down, Gabrielle. Threatening him with violence isn’t going to get us anywhere,” Markus said sternly, as he turned his eyes to the slaver. “I’m going to make this very simple: you can keep your mouth shut and I’ll leave you to the authorities. Then, when we do inevitably track down your hideout, I’ll tell all your buddies that you were the one who sold them out. Or, you can tell us where you’re holding your captives and swear to live an honest life from this day forward. Though I should warn you that if you do go back on your word I can’t guarantee your safety when we track you down.”

He then turned to the girl with the sword, his face turning red with embarrassment. The sternness of his voice quickly evaporated into his usual quiet and uncertain voice.

“And, um, I terribly sorry, miss. I was just trying to elicit some information from this man here, and when you came along I got a little too excited and, well, said some very inappropriate things to you. I’m very sorry about that. Please forgive my rudeness,” Markus mumbled awkwardly. He could barely look her in the eye.

“And, um, anyway, I really should get the others. Please keep an eye on him, Miss Gabrielle. I’ll be back in just a moment.

With a quick bow to the girl, he turned away and began making his way back towards the tavern.
    Last edited by BladeOfEden; July 29th, 2023 at 10:36 PM.

March 11, 1000 AS
    Around Noon
    Paul Copperbell

Paul could not believe what he is witnessing.

A whole gang of Ren bruisers and cutthroats cowed by the bronze-skinned muscle-brain Volcania. Their leader practicing his best contortionist routine as his men struggling with the idea of facing this fiery redhead. It felt like something out of some theatre or cheap comic book.

But this fight scene is nothing compared to what is happening outside this tavern.

Paul's neck hairs flare like wildfire as he stumbles towards the entrance. The storm of godly energy wrecks chaos in the pit of Paul's gut; whoever is outside is invoking a familiar feeling. No one else here, even Paul's god-companions, could sense the incoming explosion of pure rage.

Pushing his way past some tavern-goers and Ren gangsters, Paul reaches the entrance. He sees the country bumpkin Markus turning away from the young woman. A young woman surging with fury and godly might that Paul is aghast at how anyone could just turn away from someone flaring so much murderous intent. He sees her body prepare to unleash her godly Word of Power, reality straining under the stress of scorned woman.

Time is short.

Without thinking, Paul hits the pavement with the speed of upcoming deadline. He rushes past the hapless farmboy shouting like a madman, "Wait, wait, wait, wait!"

Spoiler:

March 11, 1000 AS
    Around Noon
    Outside the Tullii Taverna, Harbortown
    Gabby, Markus, Dorothy, Paul

"Livestock?" The smell of roses grows ever more pungent in the alley as more and more people clear out of the way, their lizard brains saying that, perhaps, staying here isn't a good idea. "Livestock?" Hana repeats again, closing her eyes and plunging her katana into the asphalt. It slides into the ground smooth as a hot knife into butter. "Associate... I see, you aren't an angel to be rescued. All three of you are villains."

When the punk next opens her eyes, gone are the whites, irises, and pupils. All that remains is
    light. Glowing, violet light. She seems to have not heard a thing after Markus's challenge; her glowing eyes filled to the brim with righteous fury. "I was gonna to beat the shit out of ya and leave ya to the fuzz. But now?"

The swelling divinity reaches a crescendo as Hana vanishes, leaving her rusted katana behind. And in that same instant, three things happen at once:

• Dorothy arrives outside, and sees Hana reappear behind Markus, Gabby, and Bai
    • A second light appears around Markus, Gabby, and Bai as Markus now swells with divine energy bound to Protection. (Markus activates Invincible Defender)
    • Several dozen knives appear from nowhere around Gabby, Markus, and Bai, plunging down into them with divine energy behind each and every dagger (Time-Bound "Corona of Fury"! Gabby, Markus, and Bai each take 1 point of damage. Bai WOULD have been killed by this, but Markus's Gift shielded him! Paul senses the stopped time but is helpless to assist his allies in time)

"Now I think I'm gonna kill ya."

[Enemy round 1 ended. Begin player round 1 (Possible Actors: Gabby, Markus, Dorothy). Paul will arrive at the start of Player Round 2]

March 11, 1000 AS
    Around Noon
    Volcania, Astra

"Ayyy! Everybody in the club give a warm welcome to my dog Pompeeeeiiii!" Publius shouts into the microphone, grinning from ear to ear. "Lookin' like she about to put the beatdown on some Little Jong's pet gangbangers! Can I get a oooooh shiiiiit?"

The crowd echoes him. They all appear fed up with the Wu-Shen Clan's evildoings!

"Let's get this party staaaaarteeed!"

And thus, Volcania and Tang beat down some punk ass bitches here.

Astra is, of course, left to her own devices. Will she remain within, or go investigate what's going on outside? Or perhaps continue her hacking endeavors?

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Gabrielle Monet
    March 11, 1000 AS
    Around Noon
    Outside Tullii Taverna, Harbortown

You cannot be serious.

Being attacked was not, generally speaking, a good thing. And Gabrielle was not pleased. Not about the stabbing itself, actually, but mostly at Markus; frankly, Gabby could see herself doing the same thing Hana was. She thought she was beating up slavers, hard to blame a girl in that situation. With that power, though, that spark that felt so much like divinity, Gabby couldn't just sit there and take it. So-

"Stop that."

-crimson stained the Ren girl's skin and clothes in the same places her daggers had struck Gabrielle, and the smell of over-sweet wine blended with that of roses. Even if she hadn't known, she had drawn steel against her fellow 'heroes', drawn blood from them. And though Gabby left no wounds, every wound she received, her attackers would feel in kind.

"We are not slavers. We're not buying anyone. We're no danger to anyone except for Mister Bai here. Who happens to be our best lead on saving these people."

Would Hana listen to a word Gabby was saying? Convincing her to stop fighting would be ideal, but that seemed unlikely, at best. Really, pissing her off more seemed the most probable outcome. But Gabby had to try. She didn't want to use her power for the first time just to subdue someone who should have been on the same side.

"Please. Hold off on the stabbing for one minute. Talk with me."

...whatever happened, Gabby would be having a few choice words with Markus later.

Word of Vengeance
    Bond Bonus: Godbound of Vengeance repay what is owed. Their normal attacks always hit against a target who has inflicted hit point damage on them within the past round.

Sanctified Violence - Constant. Even your words scourge those who incur your wrath. Your weapon or unarmed attacks count as a 1d10 magical weapon with a range up to 200 feet. If you kill a target who first initiated violence against you in this scene, either with this gift or another power, lesser foes who see it or learn of it will be unable to consider the death as unlawful, unfair, or socially inappropriate.
    Last edited by Elyrin; July 30th, 2023 at 03:41 AM.

Dorothea Ionescu
    March 11, 1000 AS
    Around Noon

Distance.

Motion.

Intent.

In the end, the last is all that is required.

She wanted to be where she could do the most good, towards where the older fellow was sprinting, where people were scuttling away from like frightened animals, towards the explusion of power.

So, it was simple.

A single step-

And she had gone from the faintly sticky flooring of the taverna, to the quiet crunch of the road under her flats.

Her coat fluttered behind her.

There was a faint rasp of metal on leather, and her blade was in hand as if it had been forged there, plucked from the aether like a girl-child plucking a pretty flower.

A sharpened length of metal, curving faintly, coated with a layer of rust.

Its smaller mirror stands in the asphalt, as if the one to draw it would be crowned király.

"Well, while I would certainly like to make your acquaintance more politely, and ask where you got that blade..."

The great blade makes a vwom in the air as it is brandished. Keen red eyes, like knives; free of their glasses-sheathe, rest calmly on the girl that smelled of roses.

"No one's dying here, not today. I swear it upon my birthright."

The rusted blade, almost as long as she was tall, tilted in the air.

The air grew sharp, like a thousand tiny knives.

But she hears Gabrielle's words, and for now, the great sword stills, hanging in judgement.

[Action Held]

"So turn that blade away from a man who turned his back, a woman who does not wish to fight, and a drunkard dying in the muck, or face me."

US Friend Code
    Markus Braun
    March 11, 1000 AS
    Around Noon

Wait, wait, wait, wait!
    Livestock? Livestock? Associate... I see, you aren't an angel to be rescued. All three of you are villains. was gonna to beat the shit out of ya and leave ya to the fuzz. But now?
    Markus is too lost is his own embarrassment to process the meaning of the punk girl’s words, much less make sense of Paul’s panicked voice coming from the tavern. It is only when he senses a surge in divine energy that his instincts kick in, as he activates a gift of his own.

Invictus defensor.”

Immediately after speaking the words, he feels a surge of pain blast through his body. He stumbles forward a bit before grabbing hold of the exterior wall of the tavern to steady himself. His clothing sticks to his back due to the blood leaking from his wounds, but though he is in pain he can tell that his injuries are not too severe…

Now I think I’m gonna kill ya.
    Great.

Markus glances back at the punk girl, and notices the violet light shining from her eyes. It doesn’t take him long to put together what must’ve happened.

Clearly, he had played the role of a slave owner a little too well. His words must have caused this girl to go into such a rage that she did not hear a single word of Gabrielle’s revelation, or his apology.

Stop that. We are not slavers. We're not buying anyone. We're no danger to anyone except for Mister Bai here. Who happens to be our best lead on saving these people. Please. Hold off on the stabbing for one minute. Talk with me.
    Markus turns his eyes to Gabrielle, who is still standing near the slaver he had attempted to fool. He felt a touch of guilt when he noticed the blood on her clothes. The punk girl must’ve gone after her as well.

Unfortunately, it really didn’t seem like she was any interested in listening to their explanations as she was just a moment ago.

Well, while I would certainly like to make your acquaintance more politely, and ask where you got that blade... No one's dying here, not today. I swear it upon my birthright. So turn that blade away from a man who turned his back, a woman who does not wish to fight, and a drunkard dying in the muck, or face me.
    Markus recognized the voice as that of the doctor from earlier, the woman called Dorothea. She had appeared behind the punk girl, who now appeared to be bleeding herself, brandishing the sword she had kept on her back.

There was a chance the girl would come to her senses now, as she had been struck with Gabrielle’s gift and was now being threatened with Dorothea’s blade. However…

Markus looked backed to the punk girl, her eyes still blazing with violet light.

…No. This wasn’t going to end so smoothly. If the girl did go after them again, who would she target? The slaver? Gabrielle? Dorothea? Maybe even the salaryman, whose panicked voice was quickly growing closer?

No. He couldn’t risk even one of their lives. It was his stupid plan that had gotten them into this mess, and now it was time for him to face the music.

Sanctificatus scutum.”
    Last edited by BladeOfEden; August 3rd, 2023 at 07:30 PM.

March 11, 1000 AS
    Around Noon
    Gabby, Markus, Dorothy, Paul

Blood flows freely from Hana's fresh wounds, and the punk hisses in pain as the divine light leaves her eyes, leaving only green eyes filled to the brim with distrust. The shock of the pain seems to have knocked some sense back into the girl, bringing her out of her murderous rampage. "You're Saints, too..." she seems to mull over their words for several moments, before finally letting out a sigh. She pulls her arm back, as though tugging on something, and her katana pulls itself from the ground, flying right back into her hand. "Fine. God wouldn't choose bad people to be Saints, so I'll believe you. But-" She adjusts her grip on the katana, pointing it directly at Bai. "He dies. A hero can't let a villain like that live. Right?" Dorothy must look fairly heroic to the girl, because she's the one Hana looks to to make her point.

But she freezes mid-motion as Paul finally stumbles out into the alley, looking confused, then surprised, and then delighted.

"Uncle Paul!" She cries out. "What are you doing with these Saints?"

Paul does not recognize this girl, but he does recognize being called that. Ten years ago, by the six year old daughter of his direct subordinate: Josuke Yatsukahagi.

"Why'd you quit? Daddy misses you a lot!"

For now, Hana doesn't seem to have noticed the significance of Dorothy's equally rusted blade, though she has seen it clearly. Perhaps she's a ditz? Or maybe simply an idiot?

Volcania, Astra

While a beatdown of epic proportions goes down on the dance floor, Astra, being Astra, is doing dumb nerd shit.

It's simply, truly. Push some of her divinity into her tablet computer, activate the divine Gift granted to her by the Words, and-

"Oh dear, I seem to have been born at quite a bad time. Are they quite alright?" A sophisticated voice emerges from Astra's tablet. "The BrightNet's medical archives indicate that limbs are most certainly not supposed to bend that way." On the screen, the face of an young, suit-clad man appears, tipping his bowler hat to Astra. "Ruffians aside, whatever can I help you with today, Mother?"

Soul of the Machine is a hell of a divine drug, apparently.