Page 2 of 469 FirstFirst 123471252102 ... LastLast

Thread: SMT/Persona: General Discussion (P4 Arena, P4 Golden, P5, SMT: IV, Etc.)

Blog Entries
    I decided to post some pics of Persona (since it's related to Shin Megami Tensei and all...)

These are some arts of Persona Music Live/Tour.

Comment whatever you want, like them or not, oh well.

Forever a Supporting and Worshipping Fan of Fate/Prototype
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos Greyblood View Post
    @Grant: There was been a lot of activity for Soul Hackers in the last few months. Fact is, they're pretty close to actually finishing the patch, so there are a few details they want to run and clean up some stuff. From there, it won't be long before we start playing Soul Hackers.
    So hyped. Although, for my morals, I want to see if I can track down an import of the Japanese release first. Even if it's too late to support Atlus and I have to go to Ebay or something, it'd be neat to own anyway. I have an import of the two original SMT games versions on PS1, and I don't speak an ounce of Japanese.

Edit: Nice pictures, keeper! I had the first one but never saw the other two before. Saaaaved~

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six Chaos Greyblood's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It's possible to play both the original version with the patch as well as the ROM file. But I have to warn you, it's for the Playstation version; they feel that the Saturn version is a big mess to debug and clean up, so it's not gonna be possible. :x
    It's easy to believe in ideals, but it's harder to keep them when things go bad.

Hey, guys! Come visit Chaos Greyblood's Fanfiction Idea thread! Let us create stories and worlds together. :3
    Follow me on Twitter!
    DA FINGAAAALAAAAZAR!!!
    DAT SEXY VICTORY POSE!
    Fanfic project No. 1: The Hell Biker

Eh. Even if I have to download a ROM to work with the patch, if I own the game I won't feel bad.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Grant's Avatar
    It looks like they may also target SMT:If.
    YES! yesyesyesyesyesyes! Sure it's dated but I love that story.

So hyped. Although, for my morals, I want to see if I can track down an import of the Japanese release first. Even if it's too late to support Atlus and I have to go to Ebay or something, it'd be neat to own anyway. I have an import of the two original SMT games versions on PS1, and I don't speak an ounce of Japanese.
    My philosophy is this: If I can get a legal copy of something I do. Otherwise (in cases like subbed version of Mobile Suit Gundam) I get the legal version and download the other version. Additionally if something later becomes legally available I buy it, case in point Pokemon White or the Death Note movies.

Who's the one at the bottom? I've played most of the games and I don't think I've seen him before.

He's the main character of the Persona: Trinity Soul anime.

Which was... alright. Didn't really live up to the games and wasn't what I was expecting, but I didn't hate it like some people did. Just wish they had gone a different route. Still worth watching once, I feel. It's totally non-canon, though, since they have some plot points that get heavily contradicted in the actual games themselves.

Oh. That. I gotta say I stopped watching midway through one episode.

I didn't think it was THAT bad an anime, but as a PERSONA anime, it should have been better. If it had come out under a different name, I'd probably have liked it more than I did.

Sandalphon's worst nightmare AstralSword's Avatar
    I am stuck at episode 15. It will be hard to keep watching it, since the only character from the game to appear was Igor (in a single 4 second scene).

Ah... I remember both Persona 2 games... Nyarlathotep was a hell of a boss. The "howling chaos", as Philemon would call him, was badass.

I preferred Innocent Sin over Eternal punishment, specially because I actually agree with Tatsuya Sudou when he says "To hell with this fake world!" in EP.

Yeah, the ending was really, really, really sad... Poor Maya (and for me to get upset because of a character, this character must be really good).

I believe the main reason I didn't like EP was entirely because Maya became a mute. Damn, her lines were the best. Tatsuya was ok as a mute (not that he talked a whole lot in Eternal Punishment) but seeing how all the Innocent Sin characters ended up in EP just made me feel like "hell NOOO! I want my old party back!".

The only one that actually makes the new party become more acceptable is Baofu. He was great.

Also, I love the "Holy Spear Knights" fights. Hitler was also good as a sub final boss.

It hasn't happened yet, but before it does I wanna get out a quick preemptive strike! If you guys feel the need to post spoilers of games, make sure to mark them. Mostly because I haven't played either Persona 2 yet, so I wanna avoid the spoilers, but it seems a lot of people here have only played one or two SMT games, so there is a for them to experience as well.

Sandalphon's worst nightmare AstralSword's Avatar
    I watched out to not let any spoiler fom hell slip. I even didn't mention in which game those things happen, so I think it is ok.

And I really recommend Persona 2 to you, dear gilgamesh. You are going to like it. Eternal Punishment was released in the USA, but Innocent Sin only has a fan translation (which was done very nicely).

I dunno if the the psp version (which would be translated into in english) has been released yet.

I heard the Persona 3 was bad, but Persona 4 was better. Does it matter if I skip 3 or it is worthy a try?

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six Chaos Greyblood's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    You must try P3 at least, Astral. If you want a better version, I'd say either FES or P3P. I thnk I should also find Innocent Sin as well, seeing that the patch is already finished.

100 post, bitches!
    It's easy to believe in ideals, but it's harder to keep them when things go bad.

Hey, guys! Come visit Chaos Greyblood's Fanfiction Idea thread! Let us create stories and worlds together. :3
    Follow me on Twitter!
    DA FINGAAAALAAAAZAR!!!
    DAT SEXY VICTORY POSE!
    Fanfic project No. 1: The Hell Biker

Quote Originally Posted by AstralSword View Post
    I watched out to not let any spoiler fom hell slip. I even didn't mention in which game those things happen, so I think it is ok.

And I really recommend Persona 2 to you, dear gilgamesh. You are going to like it. Eternal Punishment was released in the USA, but Innocent Sin only has a fan translation (which was done very nicely).

I dunno if the the psp version (which would be translated into in english) has been released yet.
    Oh, I fully intend to play them. Paying for the PS1 versions with their current prices is way too steep for me, though. The PSP version of Innocent Sin isn't out yet, but we all know Atlus USA is going to eventually bring it over here, along with the inevitable Eternal Punishment PSP. I'll play those versions when they come out in America.

I heard the Persona 3 was bad, but Persona 4 was better. Does it matter if I skip 3 or it is worthy a try?
    Persona 3 definitely is NOT bad. It's very different from Persona 1 & 2, so don't go in expecting it to be anything like them, but it's still a great game. It's not for everyone, with it's focus on social interaction during the day and dungeon crawling at night, but for those that can get into it, it's a great experience and a really unique game that brought a lot of fresh ideas and life into the JRPG genre. Some people may not have gotten into it, but it is without question the most popular and mainstream Shin Megami Tensei game. Any fan of the series owes it to themselves to at least try it out. Now, in my opinion Persona 4 IS better than Persona 3 in pretty much all categories, including characters, story, and gameplay (TONS of improvements to the battle system in P4 over P3). It doesn't make Persona 3 a bad game, though. Both are great.

As for your actual question, no you don't need to play Persona 3 to play Persona 4. Aside from some references here and there, the two games are largely unrelated, so you can jump into P4 without having played P3. I personally wouldn't suggest such a thing, but there is nothing actually wrong with it, and to each their own.

Don't @ me if your fanfic doesn't even have Shirou/Illya shipping k thnx ItsaRandomUsername's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    So, which MegaTen games would you veterans recommend for a noob like me who wants to get into the series but hasn't a clue where to start? I've heard excellent things about the Persona games, but what of the others?
    McJon01: We all know that the real reason Archer would lose to Rider is because the events of his own Holy Grail War left him with a particular weakness toward "older sister" types.
    My Fanfics. Read 'em. Or not.

Quote Originally Posted by ItsaRandomUsername View Post
    So, which MegaTen games would you veterans recommend for a noob like me who wants to get into the series but hasn't a clue where to start? I've heard excellent things about the Persona games, but what of the others?
    They are all good, but in different ways. For a total n00b, it really depends on what kind of game you want to play. Persona 3/4 and Nocturne really sit on the opposite ends of the current SMT spectrum, so if you want to get a good grasp on what the series can be like, I'd recommend trying both of those. If you (understandably) only want to give one game a shot right now, I personally suggest Persona 3. It's how a lot of people have come to be introduced to the franchise these days, but it's also pretty unique in the series. Some people don't necessarily like the anime-style school-life aspects of Persona 3, though, so if you want a more "hardcore SMT title", Nocturne is the way to go.

But, really, each game is so unique and different in various ways, none of them truly play exactly the same (although most of them share similar core elements such as Demon/Persona Fusion and whatnot), and almost every single one is a stand-alone title (with very few exceptions), so you could really start anywhere and get a different experience each time.

I've always looked at it this way:

If you want an epic story about a clash of gods, demons, and the poor bastards that humankind are as they're stuck in the middle of a war to decide their fate, go with one of the main stories like Nocturne.

If character interaction and a story that revolves around those developing people are your sort of thing, go with one of the alternate stories like Persona.

I mean, whenever I played one of the main games, I was always struck by how I simply couldn't bring myself to give a shit about the characters that popped up in them. They only rarely seemed to have any real effect on the plot beyond popping into say hi, or perhaps die. Stuff like Persona, Digital Devil Saga and Devil Summoner, on the other hand, really had the story revolve around the characters instead of the ongoing conflict between Law and Chaos.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatuous One View Post
    I've always looked at it this way:

If you want an epic story about a clash of gods, demons, and the poor bastards that humankind are as they're stuck in the middle of a war to decide their fate, go with one of the main stories like Nocturne.

If character interaction and a story that revolves around those developing people are your sort of thing, go with one of the alternate stories like Persona.

I mean, whenever I played one of the main games, I was always struck by how I simply couldn't bring myself to give a shit about the characters that popped up in them. They only rarely seemed to have any real effect on the plot beyond popping into say hi, or perhaps die. Stuff like Persona, Digital Devil Saga and Devil Summoner, on the other hand, really had the story revolve around the characters instead of the ongoing conflict between Law and Chaos.
    I get what you mean to say, and to an extent I agree. I actually really like both the original SNES SMT games and Nocturne on PS2, but if they are lacking in anything, it's character development. The story and gameplay are both good enough to hold the game up as some of the best in their time, though. On the other hand, those are only 3 games, and Shin Megami Tensei overall has become much more than that. I actually really don't like referring to the "main" SMT series as the main series, I call it the "originals", because the series is now largely dominated and moved forward by all the other games in the series.

And on the other hand, games like Persona 3, Persona 4, Digital Devil Saga and what have you... they also have great epic and gripping stories. The way you make it sound like "epic story" vs "good characters" is pretty unfair, I think. Because I personally found the story in, say P3 and DDS to be much more gripping and intense than in Nocturne. Yeah, sure, Nocturne deals with heavy religious themes and flipping Apocalypse, but that doesn't make the story that happens in Persona 3 any less grand or awesome.

Personally, I like the newer games more than the older games. While I love stuff like the SNES games, Nocturne, and the first Persona... I find myself enjoying stuff like Persona 3/4, Devil Survivor, and Devil Summoner 2 a lot more. But, I think I've already established I'm a rabid fan of the franchise as a whole. But I think the great thing about it is that there are games in it for any type of RPG fan, since some of the games are so drastically different. You take Digital Devil Saga, Persona 4, and Devil Survivor and look at them back to back and with how they play completely differently, feel differently, and have drastically different stories... you'd probably never assume they were the same series until you actually played them and noticed the core themes and elements that tie them together.

Don't @ me if your fanfic doesn't even have Shirou/Illya shipping k thnx ItsaRandomUsername's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    Alright, thanks. I'll give those a go.
    McJon01: We all know that the real reason Archer would lose to Rider is because the events of his own Holy Grail War left him with a particular weakness toward "older sister" types.
    My Fanfics. Read 'em. Or not.

If its ur first SMT, try Digital Devil Saga, not too hard and the story is great but make sure to play DDS 1 and 2

Maybe, maybe not. Digital Devil Saga seems to be one people either like or not. In any case I'd say it's probably a bit easier than Nocturne and maybe harder than Persona 4. Persona 3 is more difficult and Persona 3 FES is much more difficult, especially the Answer section. If you have a DS you can try Devil Survivor, which isn't part of SMT or Persona canon but is a great game or you can wait for the 3DS to come out and get the 3DS remake. If you do try Persona 4 or the others be aware that there's a major shift in gameplay from the first Persona games.