Page 6 of 469 FirstFirst ... 45678111656106 ... LastLast

Thread: SMT/Persona: General Discussion (P4 Arena, P4 Golden, P5, SMT: IV, Etc.)

^
    That event can only be triggered when you play Female Main.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilgamesh View Post
    Could you please knock it off? I don't do forum drama. I could have easily replied to your original post, I just didn't see any need to reply to someone so obviously trollish, arrogant, and elitist. Why waste my time writing up some big post if it's never gonna get through to you? I made this topic for discussion, not for someone to jump in here waving around "lol no u dont understand the series like i do so be less stupid" and trying to start arguments.
    LOL, this one to knock it off? If you pay more attention to this one's "first" post two pages ago (especially the last part). Everything this one posted was discussion on the content. This one never had any intend to start anything. You are the one making things out of the content trying to make this one look bad, which, even now, you have never replied anything on the content against any of this one's posts and have yet to stop name calling.

Also, lol @ "I made this thread". Let this one teach you something good (quote beloved Keima Kami-sama). When a thread is made on the board, it doesn't belong to anyone. It's open to public for discussion. Just because you creat a thread doesn't mean anything. If you so shall feel responsible for the thread that you made, you should make more effort to direct the discussion focus on the topic talking about it, instead of the bashing that you have been doing.

Everything this one have posted had been direct on the content, not flameing someone else. If this one actually wanted to starting a flame war, you would have been fried by now. But someone like you is hardly worth this one to bother with that much effort.

One last thing that you still don't seem to understand. "lol no u dont understand the series like i do so be less stupid" is just your interpration on different types of fans when they don't know the whole picture. It was clear to this one how this thread was originally made mainly towards all the games Atlus USA released in the US, which was also the main reason this one didn't care to reply anything here in the first place, knowing what kind of the thread this would turn out to be. Just like how you "choose" to call Raidou VS Abaddon "Devil Summoner 2" (because Atlus USA labelled it so), no fan with decent amount of MegaTen knowledge would ever do so simply because everyone knows where that game belongs in the overall series and calling it DS2 is actually something they laugh @. But to you and most of other US fans that didn't know any better, it's only logical it's being called "Devil Summonr 2"

What a company calls a localized game doesn't always mean it's the most suitable name to call it upon. But it's always argueable if it'll be the best name to bring benefit to sell the game.

Just like by your logic how Atlus USA calls a game whatever so everyone should just abid by whatever Atlus USA calls it, today, should Final Fantasy VI be called "Final Fantasy VI", or should it be called "Final Fantasy III"?

Quote this oneself from two pages ago:
    Quote Originally Posted by Exfm View Post
    But in the end, it's up to each person's own believe what is and if not. Like you said, we all have better things we could be talk about in this thread.

I wouldn't bother, Exfm. If anyone's a troll here, Gilgamesh is.

A person who is satisfied adding nothing constructive to a discussion, and feels like he can declare his own correctness simply by branding the dissenter a "troll" can be nothing but that very thing.

Anyways, what Exfm says is quite simple. The guy might be inarticulate, but he's hardly a troll.

Essentially, he says that to think the series is actually named Shin Megami Tensei is a misnomer, an understandable misunderstanding created by the decisions the localizers, Atlus USA, made.

Simply said, in Japan, the branching subset of these games is MegaTen--Megami Tensei. From under that umbrella, a short series of game referred to as Shin Megami Tensei came about.

Of these MegaTen games, the first to be ported by Atlus USA was one of such Shin Megami Tensei games. And thus, to propagate brand familiarity and boost sales, all such games from the "MegaTen" series that made it over from Japan to the USA, has been since named "Shin Megami Tensei", despite not being a part of that Shin Megami Tensei series, specifically.

Which means in other words, you are wrong. In the strictest sense of the word. Of course, if you are willing to disregard the truth of the Japanese naming, and the Japanese understanding of the game naming schema, in favour of the false consensus created by the Atlus USA marketing/localization department, then that is all there is to say.

How can you hate on a guy who refers to himself as "This one?" I missed Exfm's samurai talk.

If Gilgamesh replaced every instance of TROLL with MONGREL, that would be entertaining.

Anyway, what a silly discussion. Everyone knows the SMT tag was erroneously applied to several games. Why was there ever an argument in the first place?

I'd play Strange Journey, but I don't have any plans on getting a handheld any time soon. I'm holding out for a strong home console offering.
    But even though I own Nocturne now, my huge backlog of games means it will be a long time before I finish it.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Grant's Avatar
    What features would people want for an official SMT IV game following the events of the first three? The Persona 1 and 2 combat system, the Nocturne/Persona 4 system or the original SMT system? Social links, a chance to rebel against God? After the End or averting it?

I'd rather keep social links in Persona. The battle system ought to be similar to Nocturne with some newer features. There of course must be the opportunity to pick between Chaos and Law and communication with Demons.

Traditional MegaTen RPG difficulty w/ randomly getting swept by random encounters just cause of bad luck, calendar scheduling that is harder and more luck-based than Persona 3 (for 100%), dungeons with Catherine-hard platforming. Every boss is Matador.

:D

Space Conquistador
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jase View Post
    Traditional MegaTen RPG difficulty w/ randomly getting swept by random encounters just cause of bad luck, calendar scheduling that is harder and more luck-based than Persona 3 (for 100%), dungeons with Catherine-hard platforming. Every boss is Matador.

......You know, I would still play the shit out of said game. Because Matador was frustrating, but fun. I come in expecting extreme difficulty, I can live without 100%, and finishing it would be great

I wouldn't bother, Exfm. If anyone's a troll here, Gilgamesh is.

A person who is satisfied adding nothing constructive to a discussion, and feels like he can declare his own correctness simply by branding the dissenter a "troll" can be nothing but that very thing.
    Apparently making the thread, and thus the conversation, is not enough to be considered contributing to the conversation?

And sorry if I label someone who jumps into my thread to throw around elitist phrases like "REAL Persona fans" and whatnot, a troll. Because that is usually considered troll behavior. And I didn't "contribute" to that line of conversation because I already expressed my opinion on that conversation, came to an agreement that I wasn't going to change anybody's mind, and dropped it. If someone else then comes in and wants to bitch about it, I have no desire to entertain them. I refuse to argue with him because, quite simply, there are better things to talk about than "omg dis shuld not be called dis". I don't give a fuck what the franchise is CALLED, if it makes you feel like a "better/truer fan" to call it what it's called in Japan rather than America, go ahead, but I don't give a fuck because to me it's the content that matters. And I don't want to entertain this BS because that's not what I want out of my topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Cascade View Post
    If Gilgamesh replaced every instance of TROLL with MONGREL, that would be entertaining.
    And so it shall be from this point forward.

Everyone knows the SMT tag was erroneously applied to several games. Why was there ever an argument in the first place?
    Technically, yes, I could make an argument that Atlus USA is an official company, and thus the official name of the franchise in America in Shin Megami Tensei since that is what they decided to call it. Games change name from Japan or America all the time, and both names are correct. You could decide you want to only like the Japanese naming system, but that does not make the American names "erroneously applied", it's just what they choose to call it here, and it is thus official.

But as I just said, I don't intend to change anybody's minds who feel differently, and I really don't care to, because I honestly have much better things to do with my time. That is why I have already dropped this and have no desire to entertain any mongrels who want to rant and bitch about it. In this topic, we are talking about the entire franchise, and I will continue to refer to the whole thing as "SMT".
    Last edited by Gilgamesh; March 22nd, 2011 at 10:45 PM.

Fuckin' chicken grill!!! Kotonoha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    And sorry if I label someone who jumps into my thread to throw around elitist phrases like "REAL Persona fans" and whatnot, a troll. Because that is usually considered troll behavior.
    Eh, in some cases it's not intentional trolling, but sincere elitist dick behaviour.

Quote Originally Posted by Kotonoha View Post
    Eh, in some cases it's not intentional trolling, but sincere elitist dick behaviour.
    Which is like the difference between "mongrel" and "lowlife" to me.

Fuckin' chicken grill!!! Kotonoha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Ah but the difference is, a troll fakes douchery to rile people up for his amusement, but a true douche is a douche merely because he is a douche.

So sometimes, "troll" can be undeserved praise.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six Chaos Greyblood's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Aaaaaaaaand before more stupid and angry things come out here, I may comment that with the possible release of Persona 2 part 1 (And basically it does feel that way) to America, odds are good part 2 will have nice chances to also have a reception with the rest of the RPG crowd. I don't know about you, but I do welcome the possiblity, since I pray that the older Demon Summoner games from PS1 and Sega Saturn could have another look. Better late than never.
    It's easy to believe in ideals, but it's harder to keep them when things go bad.

Hey, guys! Come visit Chaos Greyblood's Fanfiction Idea thread! Let us create stories and worlds together. :3
    Follow me on Twitter!
    DA FINGAAAALAAAAZAR!!!
    DAT SEXY VICTORY POSE!
    Fanfic project No. 1: The Hell Biker

Whelp Gilgamesh, I have nothing to say to you other than that I hope you enjoyed Final Fantasy III, and should you ever chance upon it, the Shadow Warrior Chronicles.

And I do have to admit, I am of the opinion that starting a thread is actually essentially worth shit, if you're lacking any sort of self-discipline. If you're so weak-willed that you cannot even muster the power to reiterate your stance on a subject even once, and resort to going LOLSHUTUPTROLL, you probably should never have taken a stance in the first place.

Your opinion is literally null and void of any worth.

That'd be the best RPG ever.

I think the game I'd like to see in English more than anything else is Soul Hackers though.

But I don't want to fight a skeletal bullfighter every boss! D:

Space Conquistador
    Blog Entries
    Shut up you and prepare to miss every attack!

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Grant's Avatar
    That's your biggest concern? Not the ludicrous amounts of damage you'll be taking?

^
    It's called Bokurano MegaTen ver. <3
    Also, here's better scan:
    http://pic.yupoo.com/nanjoelliy/AWde3oJS/1fvOh.jpg

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six Chaos Greyblood's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Still in handhelds.... *sigh*

The main girl's named Io? As in, the priestess that Zeus played hanky-panky with? I haven't even played the game and I already smell something kooky in there.
    It's easy to believe in ideals, but it's harder to keep them when things go bad.

Hey, guys! Come visit Chaos Greyblood's Fanfiction Idea thread! Let us create stories and worlds together. :3
    Follow me on Twitter!
    DA FINGAAAALAAAAZAR!!!
    DAT SEXY VICTORY POSE!
    Fanfic project No. 1: The Hell Biker