Page 16 of 367 FirstFirst ... 6111415161718212666116 ... LastLast

Thread: Monthly Create-A-Servant Contest

The greatest obstacle to writing my sheet is deciding if I'm willing to reread a book I hate.

What about an urban legend that's evolved pretty much directly from a historical person, but isn't always associated with that person?

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Bird of Hermes's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Express View Post
    What about an urban legend that's evolved pretty much directly from a historical person, but isn't always associated with that person?
    Bloody Mary is an Urban Legend derived from Mary Tudor, a short lived Queen of England known for burning 'Protestant Heretics'.

Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
    Bloody Mary is an Urban Legend derived from Mary Tudor, a short lived Queen of England known for burning 'Protestant Heretics'.
    If I'm understanding correctly, "Bloody Mary" by herself would constitute a phantom, while Mary Tudor would qualify as a legit Servant?

To hell with Thomas Edison kami-en's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    If I'm understanding correctly, "Bloody Mary" by herself would constitute a phantom, while Mary Tudor would qualify as a legit Servant?
    perhaps, it makes sense, similarly, it's possible the actual lobo is na heroic spirit, unlike the phantom derived from the book character, and same might go for count of montechrist, with him being a hero because he is he actual count, but having his fame derived from the book. Sherlock, frankeinstein and many other book characters appear as heroic spirits, that might be how it functions

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle Alexcoene's Avatar
    I assume it would be like with Vlad and Dracula and that Mary Tudor would have the abilities of Bloody Mary.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexcoene View Post
    I assume it would be like with Vlad and Dracula and that Mary Tudor would have the abilities of Bloody Mary.
    Here's one I made earlier.

-EDIT-

Just to clarify this is not an entree, just sharing an older sheet of mine for reference to others.
    Last edited by Bird of Hermes; October 4th, 2017 at 02:38 PM.

Trying to redeem myself from my half-assed sheet last contest, so I've been working a lot on this one.

Assassin

“Même les petits insectes sont importants pour la création de Dieu.”

Class: Assassin
    Alternative Classes: Caster
    True Name: Jean-Henri Fabre
    Title: “The King of Bugs” (Self-Proclaimed), may be known as “The Father of Entomology” by others.
    Source: History
    Place of Origin: 19th Century’s Kingdom of France
    Alignment: Neutral Good
    Likes: Animals (principally Bugs), Plants, Poetry, Science
    Dislikes: People grossed out by bugs, Disdain for Science
    Natural Enemy:
    Thomas Edison – Assassin sees Edison not as a scientist, but as a man who cared more about the profit he could make with his inventions. For Assassin, a scientist should care for the enlightenment they can bring to humanity.
    Frankenstein – Although Assassin does not hate Frankenstein, he believes Victor Frankenstein broke a taboo that should not be broken. He sees Frankenstein as an existence that must be suffering, and by mercy, he thinks that she should not prolong her life anymore.
    Height: 174 cm
    Weight: 67 kg
    Attribute: Man
    Traits: Servant, Humanoid, Wild Beast

Lore:
    “A great scholar, who think as a philosopher, sees as an artist, feels and express himself as a poet”

Jean Rostand

“Get to the beast, the plant, and if, as I believe, the fever burns in your veins, you will find men to listen to you”

Alfred Moquin-Tandon

Jean-Henri Casimir Fabre was a French scientist, born in December 22, 1823. His discoveries and studies in the field of entomology granted him the title of “
    King of Bugs
    Father of Entomology
    ”. Besides that, Fabre was also a professor, a poet, a chemist, a physicist and a botanist. He is someone worth to be called a polymath.

During his childhood, Fabre’s father suffered from financial problems, the poverty obligated him to become an autodidact. Successfully, he acquired a teaching certificate at the age of 19. Afterwards he sought for a higher education, and studied in different colleges and lycées.

He had a colloquial way of writing, very different from the standards of a journalistic style of the scientific texts of that time. His texts could be easy to understand, without reducing their contents, always seeking the understanding of the reader. Because of this style, his works gained fame around the word, principally in East Asia. In Japan, he became considered a model of scientist and writer.

Another talent of his was his talent to observation, what made him a precursor of ethology, always observing and registering the behavior of animals and plants. The scientist Charles Darwin called Fabre an “inimitable observer”. Although Darwin and Fabre could be called colleagues, in life Fabre never considered the “theory of evolution” valid.

At normal circumstances, Jean-Henri Fabre would be summoned as a Caster, but he would not be able to exceed at this class. Although his feats were enough to put him in the Throne of Heroes, alongside other scientists, his fame or impact towards humanity is not any closer to spirits like Nikola Tesla, Thomas Edison, Isaac Newton or even Charles Darwin. He can be called a “Mediocre Heroic Spirit” that would become a “Mediocre Servant”. However, under mysterious conditions that made it possible to fuse one spirits with a Phantom, Fabre can have his spot in a Holy Grail War.

Having fused his spirit with the spirit of a Phantom called Mothman during his summoning, Fabre could become a Servant under the vessel of the Assassin class. This fusion also allowed him to possess new Skills and even Noble Phantasms, inaccessible when summoned as a Caster. This new set of abilities transformed Fabre from a “Mediocre Servant” into an entity that can pose a threat even to the Knight Classes.

The Mothman is a legendary creature, an urban legend that can be classified as a cryptid. It was first observed in the United States of America, in the decade of 60. A winged, humanoid, figure was seen in the skies of West Virginia. Three days later, in another city from the same state, a couple affirms they saw a winged man, with glowing red eyes. After that, many more sights of the mysterious creature were reported. In the next year, the collapse of the Silver Bridge over the Ohio River made the Mothman a symbol of bad omen, a bringer of catastrophe and disaster.

The fusion of the spirit of Fabre and the Phantom Mothman was catalyzed by the most obvious characteristic they shared: insects. The Mothman, being a hybrid of an insect with a humanoid, had Fabre as the most compatible Heroic Spirit for the fusion. The Mothman being a spirit that cannot be summoned as a Servant in normal conditions, and Fabre that would be in another circumstances a weak Heroic Spirit, made this fusion worth.

Personality: Assassin is an erudite, elegant man, but also eccentric and jolly. As a poet, he likes to choose his words carefully, and does not lose the chance to make metaphors with entomologic or botanic concepts. Even being a religious, Christian man, he always try to seek the answers in science. With the modern knowledge he acquired when summoned as a Servant, he now accepts Darwin’s Theory of Evolution, and wish he could had understood it in the past. His wish as the winner of the Grail is to be able to keep his research, this time with the modern tools that we have in this century. In regards to Mothman, he is just glad he could use its powers, but also has curiosity of what kind of creature it is.

Key Words:
    Souvenirs Entomologiques - A series of ten books written by Fabre in between 1891 and 1907. They are the most famous publication of Fabre and one of the most important pieces of the studies of insects and arachnids ever written. These books shows Fabre dedication and fascination towards arthropods.
    Cryptid – Creatures found in folklore or urban legends, but that lacks any scientific proof of their existence. Cryptids are mysterious animals or plants that always fascinated the human mind, always looking to prove their existence and creating legends around them.
    Papillon de Nuit – “Butterfly of the Night”. How the French language calls the animal known as moth in English because of their nocturnal habits. The animal that gave the name to the Mothman. Unlike the mostly diurnal butterflies, humans normally fears or dislikes moths.

Catalyst: An old, original manuscript copy of the third series of Souvenirs Entomologiques, by Fabre, from 1886. Sold by a Japanese enthusiast on internet by a large amount of money.
    Equipment: Assassin is not suitable for battles, because of that he lacks weapons or armors.

Parameters:
    Strength – E
    Endurance – E
    Agility – E
    Mana – C
    Luck – B
    Noble Phantasm – B

Class Skills:
    Presence Concealment (-)
    The common skill to the Assassin Class. It can be summarized by the ability to hide one’s presence as a Servant, making the user undetectable by enemies until it is time to attack. Although most members of this class possess this skill, Assassin lacks it in virtue of his skill “Cryptid Mysterious Nature”.

Personal Skills:
    Cryptid Mysterious Nature (A+)

A skill for those that can be considered a cryptid. Unlike the original skill Presence Concealment, this skill does not hide Assassin’s presence as a Servant, but instead, it make impossible for an enemy to pinpoint the location of Assassin by any means. When the presence of Assassin is detected, the enemy will feel a threatening aura, as if they are being observed, however, they will be unable to detect the source of this aura. It makes Assassin a very difficult opponent to Servants without a technic of big area of effect. This skill was one of the heritages of the Phantom Mothman.

Nature Observation (A-)
    A composite skill that comprises Human Observation, but also summarize the knowledge on animals and plants behavior. With this skill, Assassin is able to observe and understand life beings behavior, a technique that he used in life and made him earn the title of “inimitable observer” by his peer Charles Darwin. The minus modifier on this skill’s rank is attained when Assassin tries to apply this skill to analyses purely human behavior.

Natural Born Genius - (B)
    The possession of an unparalleled natural knowledge. It permits the user to use different skills with proficiency. Assassin was an autodidact that always learned what he needed. Assassin was not a magus in life, he liked to be called a
    Mad Scientist
    Homme de Sciences
    , but upon being summoned in the modern world and having contact with magecraft, he made possible to learn skills normally attributed to a Caster. With the use of this skill, Assassin can obtain both Item Construction and Territory Creation at rank B, applying his scientific knowledge into magecraft. He can create different kinds of potions and other substances with the use of plants and animal compounds, and create a
    Laboratory
    Workshop
    for his studies. Others skills can also be acquired.

Noble Phantasms

Souvenirs Entomologiques
    The Wonderful World of Insects

Type: Anti-Army
    Range: 1~50
    Maximum Number of Targets: 200 people
    During his lifetime, Fabre wrote many books. Between them are some like Lectures sur la Botanique (Readings on Botany); Lectures sur la Zoologie (Readings on Zoology); La Vie des Insectes (The Life of the Insects) and Le Monde Merveilleux des Insects (The Wonderful World of Insects). However, his most famous works were a series of ten books called Souvenirs Entomologiques (Entomological Memories), where he described the life and behavior of insects and arachnids. Nothing fairer than his main Noble Phantasm be named after his magnum opus.

When summoned as a Caster, this would be the only Noble Phantasm of Fabre, and although it is present when summoned as an Assassin, its original Rank was reduced from “C+” to “E++”. A Noble Phantasm that summarize all the knowledge of Fabre over the realm of the insects and arachnids, it permits that Assassin accelerate the life cycle of these animals, making they be born, grow, and reproduce at a very high speed, for any observer, it would be like these bugs are being created from nothing and just multiplying.

It is also possible to switch quantity for quality. Assassin can abdicate of producing large swarms of bug in trade of producing bigger animals, much larger than any that can be found in nature. Although we as humans have the concept of Insects as fragile creatures, that concept comes only from their small size, insects and arachnids as bigger than hounds or big cats could be potentially more dangerous.

Assassin can hide eggs at strategic places, and activate them at any time he wishes by just applying magical energy from distance, being an excellent choice for traps. It is expected that his
    Laboratory
    Workshop
    is completely protected and guarded by giant bugs. When in its original rank, it is even possible to generate humongous insects of size similar to an elephant, or even bigger. Although Assassin is still able to make that, but it would take time and large amounts of Mana to produce bugs that big.

Papillons de Nuit - Présages du Hasard
    Harbingers of Disaster

Type: Anti-Unit
    Range: 1~10
    Maximum Number of Targets: 5 people
    Papillons de Nuit”, how moths are called in the French language. It literally means “Butterflies of the Night”. Moths always have been treated with fear or disgust, in contrast to the butterflies, that are symbols of beauty and joy. Although the Mothman was never seen clearly, for some reason his figure was attributed to this insect, instead of a bird or a bat, these would be more common as a “flying figure”.

This Noble Phantasm, made only possible by the union of the spirit of Fabre with the Phantom of the Mothman, unifies the concept of
    Souvenirs Entomologiques
    with the legend of the monster. When active, Assassin will generate a swarm of moths, slightly of the size of small bird. These moths are different from any other insect used by Assassin, visually by the bright blood-red light emitted from their eyes.

The moths will not try to attack the target, but instead, they will try to land on the target’s body, trying to cover completely them. Although the targets may try to remove them, they will keep trying, until Assassin be unable to sustain the magical energy necessary to keep generating them. While close to a target, these insects will bring disaster and catastrophe to them, like how the legends of the Mothman describe him as a “bad omen of destruction”.

While under effect, the targets’ Luck parameter is nullified, and any Luck test they have to pass may instantly fail. Additionally, they generate a field of “probability alteration”, a temporary curse that can be only described as an “intense wave of bad fortune”. Objects may fall, break or fail to work, all by the conspiracy of the new destiny created by the moths.

The objective of this Noble Phantasm is to make the target self-destruct by generating despair. The target will see himself covered by beasts they cannot destroy, while struggling to defeat an enemy they cannot locate, launching multiple attacks trying to free themselves, while just causing destruction around them, causing damage to themselves or even their master. Those who have a more reckless and violent nature are more susceptible to fail against this technic.

Les Yeux Rouges de l'Épouvante
    Flying Demon of Terror

Type: Anti-Self
    Range: -
    Maximum Number of Targets: 1 person
    The last resort of Assassin. A Noble Phantasm that he will not activate unless forced to, or unless his life (and by consequence, his chance to win the Grail) is threatened. It will force the user to abandon his Heroic Spirit identity, his humanity, to be dominated by the Phantom fraction inside oneself. By activating, the Heroic Spirit of Jean-Henri Fabre will not be the dominant part of Assassin anymore, but Mothman.

Assassin’s body will mutate, his skin will be covered in black, dense, fur. Large, jet-black wings will grow on his back, allowing him to travel long distances by flight. His face will be deformed. Growing fangs like a feral beast, his eyes will be like two glowing rubies. Although bright, these eyes will look lifeless, as if there were no emotion inside that demon. On his fingers and feet, sharp claws will take place. His physical parameters will be modified, becoming Strength B, Endurance C and Agility A.

Even by the drastic changes on Assassin’s body, his mind and intellect are still intact, but he will lose the ability of communication, not being able to talk to, or even understand human speech at all. The skills Nature Observation and Natural Born Genius, as well the Noble Phantasm
    Souvenirs Entomologiques
    , will be completely sealed. While in this form, the aura of “probability alteration” is in constant effect, nullifying the luck of any enemy close to him.

Once activated, this Noble Phantasm cannot be reverted, except by very specific means. Assassin will be forced to remain in this form until the end of the Holy Grail War, or until it is defeated. Fabre’s disdain over this form is not because of the physical changes, as he is not disgusted over the insect body, but because of the loss of communication abilities, a talent he valued in his life.

Commentary

Thank you for those who read it.

After the ending of the last contest I thought on like 5 Servants that I could make for the next Contest, even not knowing the theme, I just shoot at different probabilities. One of these was making a Shinjuku-Like Servant, and I am glad it was the chosen theme. I put a lot of effort to make a nice sheet after my disastrous El Cid, and I think I made a good one. The grammar must not be perfect yet, but I am sure it is better than my usual sheets. About the formatation. I made it in word and planned to convert it to BB Code afterwards but I had some problems with it still, I hope it is easy to read.

About the two last Noble Phantasm names, I thought it may be a bit long, but I just checked and in Katakana, the second one (パピヨンドゥヌイプレサジュデュアザー) have the same number of kana than a Noble Phantasm of Nero and one of Achilles. The another one (レジュールージュドゥレプヴァント) has less than both of them.

The Credits of the Face Claims:
    Image 1: Fabre from Ayakashi Ghost Guild
    Image 2: Mothman from Tower of Saviors

And again, thank you!
    Last edited by Hakuro; October 4th, 2017 at 08:09 PM.

Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl, þonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Ho, Ho. I got a really abstract idea for a Phantom.

Now to try and work out what the NP would be...
    "Here's a bangin lil' tune about takin' on The Man!"

(Check out my Super Special Awesome Servant Compendium here)

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I'm keeping full commentary till the end of the contest but I gotta say this is a lot better than your last entree, it's probably the best application of Mothman I've seen so far (especially as it's a modern day cryptid).

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I've just had time to skim it (about to go out for a walk now) but that Mothman sheet looks cool. Sure looks like this'll be an interesting contest!

Blog Entries
    Mhm, a very strong start!

After two false leads, got a combo I am happy with, so will start working on it tonight.

I will apologize in advance.

Signature by fumato

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm not planning on doing him or anything (have a different idea in mind) but Slender Man could totally be a Phantom, right? The only question would be what Heroic Spirit/other Phantom to combine him with...

So Many Ideas, So Little Time SleepMode's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Regarding the topic of this month's contest, I reckon a Servant-Phantom Combo isn't the only method, as Hessian Lobo was specifically three Phantoms - Lobo, Headless Horseman Hessian, and the Invisible Man.

Does that mean we can also make a Multi-Phantom combination?
    The Act of dozing off in the afternoon is a luxury indeed.
    Coffee would be nice, though.

[Collection of my Servant Sheets]
    Now Revamped!

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle Alexcoene's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SleepMode View Post
    Regarding the topic of this month's contest, I reckon a Servant-Phantom Combo isn't the only method, as Hessian Lobo was specifically three Phantoms - Lobo, Headless Horseman Hessian, and the Invisible Man.

Does that mean we can also make a Multi-Phantom combination?
    You can also make a single-phantom servant like Paul Bunyan.

Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl, þonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RoydGolden View Post
    I'm not planning on doing him or anything (have a different idea in mind) but Slender Man could totally be a Phantom, right? The only question would be what Heroic Spirit/other Phantom to combine him with...
    I certainly hope so, as he's a part of my sheet.

Well, sorta anyways...
    Last edited by Skull; October 4th, 2017 at 05:49 PM.
    "Here's a bangin lil' tune about takin' on The Man!"

(Check out my Super Special Awesome Servant Compendium here)

I've decided not to go with it, but what would the rules deem on combining a phantom with an existing servant? I thought about combining Heathcliff and Dantes.

Quote Originally Posted by Flustered Saber View Post
    I've decided not to go with it, but what would the rules deem on combining a phantom with an existing servant? I thought about combining Heathcliff and Dantes.
    I mean You’s 2nd place entry last time was Brynhildr, so I think that would be fine. It all depends on execution ofc

JP Friend Code
    616288630 tell/pm/whatev
    Blog Entries
    Is it okay if we pick the same Phantom/HS as other contestants? I have an idea in mind but it seems some people here is going for the same guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    Is it okay if we pick the same Phantom/HS as other contestants? I have an idea in mind but it seems some people here is going for the same guy.
    Yeah, it’s fine. I suppose there is an element of risk there, but that’s not a reason to ban multiple versions of the same character imo. Besides, if you’re unsure about it, remember that you can always submit 2 sheets

Plus, it’s kind of hard to regulate anyway