Thread: [Quest] Lost Singularity - Fimbulwinter

Time to burn some dread Daneel Rush's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hotel Diego de Almagro, Molina 76, Valparaíso
    Sheer cold (-42°C/-43.6°F)

Character Status
    Health: Stable
    Sustenance: Poor
    Warmth: Stable(Superb while inside this area)
    Stamina: Stable
    Regression Level 2

Magic circuits inactive.
    (BGM)

“Alicia Drake…is dead…?”

Still seated in the lonely hotel restaurant, Assassin—I still can’t remember her actual name without a tinge of headache—gets us caught up on what happened while we were underground.

It gets even colder. It is like being turned upside down, again and again. Like lead in the mind: smothering, numbing, just heavy. The crushing feeling that reality, that this world, is simply stronger than you.

This is the terrible weight of failure. Will I ever leave that behind me? Is it even possible?

“Well, no, that’s not quite what I said.”

“Rider destroyed the Drakes’ house with his saucer. We all assume she was still resting inside, and there’s no trace of her. It makes sense to assume the worst in this situation, but I’m the type who doesn’t declare death without a body.”

She chuckles for whatever reason.

“I guess I’ve become an optimist or something.”

Yeah, it’s nice to be optimistic and all, but this is way bigger than my frustration or Assassin’s positivism.

“Fuck, that guy must be devastated.” My hands raise naturally to hold my face. I don’t know a lot about Oliver Drake, but there’s no denying that man really loves his wife.

Assassin’s smile softens.

“Yeah.” She nods. “Oliver tried to look for her, but without those lanterns of his, he cannot stay long outside in this cold. Hell, Marco had to knock him out so he wouldn’t freeze to death digging through the rubble.”

Her round face is now marred by a frown.

“Maria wasn’t happy ‘bout it either. Can’t blame her; she basically left the woman behind.” She shrugs. “Well, Rider’s dead and gone, so there’s no point in thinking about that.”

“Fuck,” I utter behind my hands. “And Sakura’s still missing.”

“Yeah.”

Nomikata, who has watched and listened with his severe stare that makes me think he is out to get me, finally adds his voice to the discussion.

“I’d like to get back down there and look for her, but I guess it’s not that easy, huh.”

Assassin makes a vague gesture.

“I could take you to any of the access points, but, you know, they’re all monitored. If they have her, you’d have to fight your way through to the cells. Not really up to that plan if you ask me.”

“Yes, yes.” He chuckles. “I know my limits.”

For that, he gets an odd stare from Assassin. I’m fairly sure it’s at least a little similar to my own.

“I also want to find Sakura, but it’s hard to think of how to do that without even the slightest idea.” What should have been a groan becomes a long exhalation. God, I sound tired. “Fuck, the more I think about it, the more I worry about’er.”

For those words, I get Nomikata’s undivided stare. What, did I say something weird?

“Anyway.” Assassin slaps her exposed thighs before rising to her feet. “Wanted to get you guys up to date before we go meet those guys. Going out there is shit right now, but we can’t afford to stay and wait for the enemy. Toca bailar con el feo; let’s get moving.”

We stand up like the remaining soldiers out to make their last stand. Nobody could ever look forward to setting foot out there.

“So, this one’s coming with us,” brings up Nomikata, vaguely pointing at the smiling figure behind us.

“Hi, I’m ‘this one’.”

Isn’t this person a little too easygoing?

“Well, yeah,” Assassin replies. “You’re not with the Nazis, right Caster?”

“Not really.”

“Well there you go. I’m not gonna leave her to get killed—fuck it’s cold out here!”

It is stupidly cold. Without whatever magics The Maid pulled off inside, we are fully exposed to this morning’s (it’s morning, right?) awful weather. Snow descends gracefully like something out of a Christmas snow globe, until the picturesque scene is stirred by a blast of mind-freezing wind. Nomikata and I are dressed for the occasion, but damn. My first thought is to go magic right away, but I should be more thoughtful. My gas tank is not limitless.

By the way, it seems Caster is a woman after all?

Assassin stands at the vanguard, of course, while Caster follows a few steps behind. I quickly notice the already familiar sight of wandering zombies. Naturally, I am not the only one.

“Well, yeah, gotta get my familiars out there; I’m pretty useless without ‘em,” admits the twintailed Servant when Caster brings up the matter. “And we need an eye on New Asgard’s access points. If they make a move, I’ll know. More importantly, Caster: you think you can pull off a story?”

“Oh, you want me to write about you?” Caster’s not very feminine voice gains a sort of musical quality, as her (?) mood seems to improve even further. “Yes, yes, that should be possible. But I already used my Noble Phantasm earlier this morning, so I have to be more frugal with my magical energy for a while.”

(BGM)

This makes both Assassin and Nomikata twist their necks at the woman (?) placidly smiling behind her veil.

“What the fuck are you plotting…the homunculus bitch! The hell did you do with her!?”

Assassin’s words are aggressive, but I do not sense any real hostility from her. She is scolding Caster, rather than threatening her. Hell, if anything I’m more wary of Nomikata—he is the one who looks like he’s about to choke a bitch. Been for a while if you ask me.

A warm pulse resonates in my body—the flame beckons and reassures. If things go downhill, I only need to rely on it; that is what its warmth tells me.

“My sweet Liria, you are not the only one trying her best,” Caster says. “Leave Senta to tread the path she has chosen. Who knows? We may too reap bounty from her heartfelt efforts.”

After a moment of silent tension—it feels like everybody is waiting for everybody else to make the wrong move—, Liria seems to relax her stance and sigh with exaggeration.

“It’s always like this with you, isn’t it? Keeping that ‘oh, I’m so weak’ act while plotting when nobody’s looking.”

Caster rests her right elbow on her opposite hand, while bringing her hand to her pursed lips.

“Liria, dear, you know this very well: being weak does not spare anybody from the burden of struggle. I, too, must fight in the ways I know and can.”

“And what do you fight for?” Nomikata anticipates Assassin, to the point the blonde girl half-glares at the man for his gall. However, that is a question Caster already answered, precisely while Nomikata was unconscious.

“For what I believe is right, of course.”

Assassin sighs and shakes her head, perhaps concluding that there is no point on dwelling on this any further. Weird as it may be, I do hope Senta is safe wherever she is.

(BGM)

“Ahh, whatever. So the girl for a story. How about…?”

“Oh? No, no, I have not seen enough of these two gentlemen to build anything with them.”

This strange exchange of words happens as we slowly trudge our way through narrow streets, avoided the wide, open and shattered Errázuriz. Nomikata listens attentively; perhaps he makes more sense of it than I do.

“Huh. Alright then.”

Before we can resume our trudging march, Assassin’s eyes turn westward beyond the height of Concepción Hill. According to Assassin’s testimony, the Lily from my childhood sacrificed herself to save her from a rampaging Herald. The scarred Servant fled to the west, in the direction of Sotomayor Square. Maria declared right then and there that she was going to help the Herald she feels indebted to. On the other hand, if the Herald has gone feral, can we really make her an ally?

“Javier, you think it’s a good idea to let those two go together?”

Why the hell are you asking me that?

“Do I look like I could stop either of them? More importantly, is anybody going to explain anything to me?”

Nomikata snorts. Alright, that’s it, that guy obviously has a problem with me. Assassin merely chuckles at my inquiry.

“This from the guy pretending we’re just supposed to smile and nod when he pulls out divine flame.”

I don’t even get to ask Assassin why she even knows about that. The rumbling from the west renders our bodies still and our voices muted.

It has begun.

Quest Master’s Words: I apologize. This update was supposed to include more scenes, but I just didn’t find it in myself to make the time to write this week. On the other hand, it gives me the chance to gauge what you guys want to see, now that we’ve reached the point the story in which even my vision of the story’s future becomes fuzzier and I too am wondering in which shape the pieces will assemble themselves before the endgame.

So, who should we take a look at next?

1. Stick to Javier and Company.
    2. Maria.
    3. Senta.
    4. Write-in.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    I'm interested in what Senta's doing, but I'd also like to be surprised.

I'll go with 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

JP Friend Code
    616288630 tell/pm/whatev
    Blog Entries
    more a Maria person, so 2.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    ...I don't suppose "all of them" is a viable choice? Yeah, didn't think so. :-P
    I'm also really curious about what Senta is doing, but I suppose I'll pick 2 this time.

Also, I hadn't heard yet of the "toca bailar con el feo" expression, but I loved it!
    Last edited by SpoonyViking; October 24th, 2019 at 10:21 PM.

US Friend Code
    I'm going to break with the trend and go with 1 personally, I think sticking with Javier at a time like this might be important and I'm admittedly hoping that things won't escalate as much with Maria if we aren't watching.

Might be a foolish hope but it's the one I'll go with.

So Many Ideas, So Little Time SleepMode's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    ​3
    The Act of dozing off in the afternoon is a luxury indeed.
    Coffee would be nice, though.

[Collection of my Servant Sheets]
    Now Revamped!

JP Friend Code

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Bird of Hermes's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    4 - Sakura

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    4 - Sakura ​She can't be missing forever!

Blog Entries
    For the same reason as Raffle, I’ll say 2. ^^; Interested in what happened to Senta but more rewarding to wait for it a bit.

Signature by fumato

I'm going with 3. here, since Senta is a character I've found surprisingly enjoyable to watch.

Blog Entries

Blog Entries
    Errázuriz Avenue, Valparaíso
    Sheer cold (-42°C/-43.6°F)

(BGM)

Naturally, neither cold nor snow put a hamper on the mobility of Servants. Maria Westinghouse only needs seconds to cover the distance between the hotel and the great square, but she has made a stop on the way, for more than one reason. She does not feel tired, but she nonetheless feels she needs to take a deep breath.

“It must feel sickening; that one’s power coursing through your veins, seizing control of your actions. I never had that trouble myself, however, so I can only imagine how unpleasant it is.”

The very thought of receiving that person’s compassion fills her throat with bile. The worst thing is that Maria herself cannot tell how much of this comes from Saver, or from herself.

“Whatever,” she utters spitefully. “More importantly, that. Explain that.”

Her sword points at Rider’s—Hans Kammler’s—cadaver, now half-buried in fallen snow.

“Child, do you know what makes a stupid question?”

“Oh, so you hear me after all.”

“Of course I can hear you, I am not deaf,” replies the ever-smiling Maid. “Could it be, that the vessel is as mentally challenged as the Servant? Please say it isn’t so.”

“This bitch…” murmurs Maria, holding back the urge to scream. “Whatever, just explain that.”

“I asked you a question.”

“I asked you first!”

“Child, if you are that mongrel’s vessel, you know that is not how it works.”

“I don’t! Fuck!” Maria does scream this time, kicking snow around for good measure. “You’re so annoying! Both of you! Don’t give me that pity smile!”

The Maid’s smile does not falter.

“A stupid question is a question asked by one who already knows the answer. So, you tell me, child. Explain this.”

Maria grits her teeth at the woman’s voice and attitude that her mind and soul both decide are condescending. However, she accepts they are not going to get anywhere if she does not acquiesce on at least this.

“…he was sorta like me. Like, he was the real, living Hans Kammler, acting as the vessel for the Servant, Hans Kammler.”

“That is correct. If only my current student were nearly as perceptive. Of course, you do have the advantage of your Servant’s knowledge, insignificant at it may be.”

Maria has to struggle with a sensation like having an attack dog roaring leashed to her chest, furiously struggling to rip and tear its way out like a xenomorph.

“I mean, I can get Kammler living this long—I mean, fuckin’ magecraft. Hell, grandma lived to 118. Just how the fuck is there even a Servant Kammler!?”

“That was a cooperative work with Caster,” admits The Maid. “Of course, Rider and Berserker are not recorded in the Throne; they exist merely as simulacra within the reality of this singularity.”

“So you could summon him again if you wanted to.”

“Indeed. But that would demand an unacceptable expenditure from the Grail at this stage.”

“Did you kill my grandma?”

“No, I did not,” responds The Maid, who of course would not be taken by surprise just by throwing an abrupt question at her. “As you stated, she was 118. She did not need anybody’s assistance to die. And I feel slighted by the accusation of murdering a cherished friend.”

(BGM STOP)

Maria is on her in an instant, gripping the front of the maid uniform to glare point-blank at her.

“You too? You’re gonna bullshit me that she ‘died of natural causes’?”

“You are free to cling to your baseless need for vindication, child. It does not change the truth. Also, you should let go if you want to keep your arms.”

(BGM)

Maria has already put at least five meters between them before the words leave The Maid’s mouth. The Maid’s words did not pull her away. It was fear, pure and permeating, like becoming aware that you stepped into the mouth of a colossal predator, just a second too late. Like waking up to find yourself sinking into the ocean, your limbs encased in concrete.

Inescapable doom. The utter inability to fight a dark fate already decided for you.

That was what The Maid made her feel, for a vestige of an instant.

Maria Westinghouse shudders. Now she knows exactly why the World sent the likes of Saver to this singularity. Now she knows exactly why the very thought of this woman sent her beloved grandma into fits of terror.

Her face twists from an ugly grimace to a pained expression. She is unsure what to feel, how to react, what path to take. The uncertainty following her since the world froze around her strikes her like a phantom dagger that saps her enthusiasm.

“Wha…how…I’m supposed to fight you?”

“Certainly not with that attitude, no,” responds the ever-candid Maid. “It is already a shame that you were burdened with the mongrel of all Servants, but to extend the shame even further, your spiritual union is not strong enough.” She pauses, as if to parse her thoughts. “Ah, do not take that for an accusation. I never expected you to inherit your grandmother’s natural talent.”

Maria is not paying attention. She is still coming to terms with her awareness of the sheer magnitude of the challenge in front of her.

“You…what…what the hell are you?”

The tinge of humor in The Maid’s speech disappears, along with the smirk on her face.

“Therein lies the problem, girl. You of all people should not have to ask that question.” A pause. “Though, that sea slug from the Abzu is not too sharp herself, so perhaps it would not make any difference. You are truly unfortunate, honorable granddaughter.”

Maria’s body shudders. It is through no cause of her own. For the very first time, worded thoughts very clearly not her own echo vividly in her mind.

This is bullshit. I’m taking over, you chicken-shit idiot girl.

“Wha—wait, no—!”

Both vessel and Servant are taken by surprise. In an instant, The Maid closed the distance between them, wrapping her right leg around Maria’s left thigh and using her body weight to push her down onto the snowy street. The Maid clinches Maria before she has a chance to put up any resistance, glowing red eyes staring deep and furiously into Maria’s own.

You will most certainly not.”

The Maid’s irises are a turbulent scarlet, a hidden, simmering storm of divine power, .her unflappable mien undone. She is unmistakably upset.

“I allowed it once, in the building, because I was prioritizing the life of my student. Not. Again.”

Maria—or rather, Saver—struggles in futility, unable to reverse the situation despite the dramatic difference in their Strength parameters. The Maid compensates with unparalleled wrestling technique that would render Sakura mute in adoration, and with primordial reinforcement magic only the finest arcanists of the Age of Gods could ever hope to match. Maria Westinghouse is merely a witness, trapped in her own body.

“Let…me, go! Fucking…!”

“You’re fallen far, Dancer. You are my nemesis, are you not? Much that it sickens me, it has been recorded in the World that you and I are rivals. Then why is it that you cannot release yourself from the likes of this?”

“It’s not…my fault…the idiot girl’s…so weak—oof!”

Both Maria and Saver see stars when The Maid slams their foreheads together.

“To put the blame on the mortal vessel, how loathsome. And you wonder why I ignore you.”

Maria’s body goes deathly still, the words clearly having struck a chord in Servant Saver.

“As you are right now, you are less than worthless,” hisses The Maid, eyes ablaze in unreleased fury. “I will not let an insignificant mongrel like you take anything away from this child. So relinquish control before she breaks, and before I break you.”

There is no longer a confrontation. Saver presents no resistance, so there is only the scene of a maid pushing down a girl in a super-tight leotard thing.

“…if you cared so much about humans, then I would’ve never been sent after you,” says the glowering Saver before allowing herself to retreat into the sea of Maria’s consciousness. When the American-born realizes she is back in control, The Maid is already applying healing magic to her forehead.

(BGM)

“I apologize,” says The Maid when she is done, right after standing up and offering a hand to the other woman. “It is…difficult, to keep my composure when that thing is around.”

Maria hesitates, but takes the offered hand.

“Why…are you helping me?” Hers is the voice of suspicion. The Maid sighs.

“How many times do I have to explain…there is a reason I chose to wear this uniform.”

With a vague gesture of her hand, the corpse of Hans Kammler rises from the ground, its inert form levitating a foot in the air.

“I dedicated my life to serving the gods and the people. It is what I am, and why I was engraved in the Throne. From my privileged position, I strove to reestablish order in a world that lost its way after the gods ceased to walk the earth. Why would anybody expect me to do anything else as a Servant?”

With a second gesture, the body floats slowly away from the women and towards the frozen sea. The Maid has never taken her eyes off Maria, who regularly averts her eyes towards the corpse because she is unable to bear with the intensity of the other Servant’s stare for more than a few seconds.

“I was a servant in life, thus I serve in death, and wear the trappings I believe better symbolize this spirit of service in the modern era. In life, I wore the vestments of a priestess, but the modern priesthood I find lacking beyond their charity work; too attached to artificial power, and quick to succumb to the temptations of gold and flesh.” She makes a most uncharacteristic shrug. “It likely sounds hypocritical coming from me, who loves jewels and beautiful men and women more than anybody else, but the abandonment of a sacred vow is something I cannot forgive.”

Kammler’s body comes to a half some sixty or so meters from the shore, floating still above the ice. However, Maria is not paying attention to that.

“You…you’re a vessel, too!” She gasps. “Like Kammler, and like me, but, but you’re an actual Heroic Spirit! A pseudo-Servant, using another Servant as a vessel!”

“That is incorrect,” retorts The Maid. “I do not harbor two Saint Graphs, not am I two beings sharing a single Saint Graph.”

Her smile returns even as she shakes her head.

“Do not lament your error, child. You are building conclusions based on the knowledge you possess and the examples you have listed. It only makes sense that you cannot grasp what I am.”

Maria’s attention is grasp by a humongous, black serpent-like head breaking through the ice to engulf the corpse with a single chomp. The creature, whose fearsome length can only be inferred from its head the size of a heavy tank, disappears in the frigid depths as quickly as it emerged.

“Now, I would love to sit down and reminiscence about your venerable grandmother and the good old times in the Society, but as you can see there are plenty of issues that need addressing, including the original purpose of this outing.”

(BGM)

“…that was a Bašmu,” Maria murmurs, urged by the ancient knowledge granted her by her connection with Saver.

“Indeed.”

“That was a fucking Bašmu.”

“Yes, you already said that.”

“Why is there a fucking Bašmu in the sea!?”

“For the same reason there is a Girtablilu and an Uridimmu, I presume.”

“You do realize that’s not an answer, right!?”

“Naturally.”

“Aaaaaaarrrggghhh!”

“You should take better care of your throat.”

Maria throws her arms to the air at this point.

“Is there anything else you’d like to tell me!? Some still-hidden threat to fuckin’ everybody in this city that I’ve missed thus far!?”

“Avenger is Lancer.”

“What the fuck!?”

“Each and every single one of my daughters I designed such that, in an advantageous environment and with sufficient preparation, they can individually kill an average Servant.”

“Fuckin’ hell.”

“My second youngest, Senta, has been further empowered by Caster’s Noble Phantasm.”

“Yeah, sure, keep’em comin’.”

“The amalgam of souls currently accompanying Assassin has assimilated the beliefs of the younger me into a strong assertion that the Path of the Human God is dangerous and heretical, and is therefore the most immediate threat to my student.”

“I didn’t even get half of that.”

“The successful god-blooded products of my secondary project at the volcano village are also trapped in the singularity. At least one of them also bears ill will towards my student.”

“Wait, you’re talking ‘bout Javier!?”

“Finally, if all goes according to schedule, you only have three days before I can use my Noble Phantasm to transmute the current texture. You might want to work harder on your bond with Saver if you intend to stop me.”

“Oh, fuck, you.”

Silence falls alongside gentle snow. The Maid has done most of the talking, but it is Maria who pants in (mental) exhaustion.

“So? You done?”

“Mostly, yes,” responds The Maid. “I trust you capable to find out the rest on your own.”

Maria holds back her curse this time.

“You sure? You really, really sure? ‘cause I’ll be really pissed if I suddenly end up fighting Nazi apemen or some shit like that.”

The Maid scoffs like she would never do in front of anybody else but her nemesis.

“Oh, don’t be ridiculous.”

“Good—”

“Everybody knows that apemen super soldiers were a Soviet project. I developed the original homunculus-type Hexensoldaten as a response to Stalin’s manrillas and orangumen.”

Silence falls alongside gentle snow. There is only The Maid who can say the above sentence with a straight face, and the O-faced Maria Westinghouse, who remains a virgin but most certainly not innocent.

“Close your mouth, girl. Flies could get in there.”

“Flies can’t live in this cold—I mean, why!?”

The ancient Servant is witness to a young American girl falling on her hands and knees, bare fist striking the shattered concrete past a layer of snow.

“Why!?” she howls a second time amidst punches. “Why! Is! The secret! World! So! Fucking! Stupid!”

“We should probably get going,” suggests the ever-thoughtful Maid, but it will take a bit longer before a sulking Maria remembers she is out there in the cold for a reason.

Plaza Sotomayor, Valparaíso
    Sheer cold (-40°C/-40°F)

(BGM)

The cold winds sweep away all scents. Valparaíso is pristine like it could have never been before, for it is now a dead city. Devoid of scents and wrapped in deathly silence, such is the nature of this singularity.

“So, a Bašmu.”

“Still going on about that, I see.”

Maria is too (mentally) tired to properly glare at The Maid by this point.

“Are the others also around somewhere?”

“I presume as much.”

“Oh, so those aren’t yours?”

“I certainly could have summoned them, yes. But I can assure you I did not. I find it hard to believe they could have just wandered here from the Great Mother’s Space, so I had hypothesized one or more of the mages still active are using magecraft of the Imaginary Element and unwittingly creating holes for them to pour in, but the recent events suggest a different and more likely possibility.”

“Yeah, yeah, I guess. So, why did you lie and tell the others you didn’t know who beat ya?”

The haughty Maid raises an eyebrow.

“Oh, so you can figure out at least that much. How relieving.”

“Yeah, fuck you too. That’s not how you ask somebody to take care of your problems, ya know.”

“I said this before: I do not need to ask you to do anything. The Holy Tyrant is an obstacle to you as well.”

“Ya know, didn’t expect Saver’s nemesis to be the intellectual, manipulator type.”

The Maid promptly sputters. Whatever image of a cool, collected figure she might have carried is blown away as the no-longer-elegant figure struggles to keep her laughter inside.

“Manipu—pfft!”

“Um, ya okay, fetish girl?”

“Ah? Yes? Yes, yes, my apologies, that was just…wait, what was that last thing?”

“Like, come on, the aggressive, emotional protagonist versus the cold, Machiavellian—”

“Pfft!” The Maid has turned away from Maria, bending forwards even as she hides her sputtering lips behind her hands.

“—antagonist? That’s totally my First Law!”

This does get The Maid’s attention.

“…I beg your pardon?”

“Um!” Maria nods proudly. “The First Law of Maria: any sufficiently high-powered mythology is indistinguishable from anime.”

“…I feel almost insulted.”

Maria makes a dismissive gesture, putting an end to that topic. She then looks around them, at the vast emptiness of the large public space.

“This place was full of zombies last time I checked.”

“Either Assassin or Senta acted much ahead of us, I would say. Or both.”

“Ah, so that girl’s a…talk about image problems: a Nazi necromancer, sheesh. Anyway, I’ll have you tell me everything ‘bout grandma later, but right now I’ll have you help me find the Herald.”

“Glad to see we have come an agreement.”

“Hey, don’t talk like we’re buddies now.”

(BGM STOP)

“Of course not,” agrees The Maid. “As long as you are vessel to that thing, I will never get along with you. Nonetheless, you are human, and therefore object to my guidance.”

“Nah, nah, I’m talking about that,” retorts Maria, her sword pointing all around her.

The Casualties
    (BGM)

As a major public space, it had many people at the time of the Great Freezing, and most still remain, trapped in prisons of ice.

“If anything, I’m totally getting you for those.”

“Hmm,” utters The Maid, completely unbothered by the wordless accusation. “It is always important to trim dead and overgrown branches, to pull off dried leaves, to remove feeble flowers and sweep away the fallen, rotten fruit. It is all to encourage new growth and beauty, as it must be.”

If anything, she sounds and looks utterly pleased with herself, and proud to make her point. Maria is thus reminded that the person is front of her is truly not of humankind. Her beauty, her intellect, her thoughts, personality and mentality; they are all wholly and truly divine.

“The world is my garden.”

The short, simple line makes Maria shudder.

“It makes only sense to wish to prune it.”

For the second time in this outing of two, Maria Westinghouse is reminded of why the World dispatched a Demon God in its defense. However, she does not get to respond to that. Both swordswoman and maid (?) tense at the shared supernatural perception of a nearby Servant.

“Where is—!?”

The Maid has already stretched out her hand to the heavens.

(BGM)

“Shine,
    Gurasudanna
    Resplendent Shield of the Everdistant Heavenly Realms
    !”

“Don’t just go and steal Ninurta’s stuff!” Maria retorts even as she deflects a handful of arrows as long as her sword in the time it takes her to find refuge behind the golden barrier deployed by The Maid—a dome of radiance that rejects all attacks of a strictly physical nature.

The Maid’s own retort is drowned by the brutal sound of a wall exploding, a massive beast bursting through the second level of the Chilean Navy Headquarters.

“Ishtar’s saggy tits!”

“That’s blasphemy, child!”

The humongous hound leaps over them, landing almost in the very center of the square. When they feel Archer’s presence atop the (now damaged) military building, the two women realize they are not pinned.

“I can’t believe I’m doing this,” bitterly grumbles Maria as she presses her back against The Maid’s, choosing to face the Herald of Fimbulwinter while her Servant’s nemesis stares up at the sniper.

The Herald of the Endtimes
    “Fuck, that’s a huge doggo…huh? Hey, fetish girl, isn’t that…?”

Maria is trying to draw Maria’s attention to the limp figure held in the hound’s mouth.

“That…is indeed Senta. Not for much longer it seems, though.”

Certainly, they see more blood than skin or clothes on that girl. Both her arms and one of her legs bend in most unnatural ways, with glimpses of bone that by all means should never be seen. It does not seem, however, like she is about to become the hound’s next meal. The very opposite, in fact.

“He-hey, Herald? Umm, wassup?”

The beast growls its threat the moment Maria takes a single step towards her. Archer’s barrage has long ended, the dark-skinned Servant atop the building likely revaluating his plan of action.

“The hound is not fully itself. It is still acting solely on instinct. It likely does not recognize you in its current state.”

“Well shit. Can ya do sumthin’ ‘bout it?”

“I can do anything.”

“Right, right, totes rolling my eyes in my mind,” snarks back Maria, who cannot afford to pull her attention away the threats in front and behind her. “So, I take on Archer, you go help the Herald and your sorta-kinda daughter.”

“You cannot match Archer with that deficient bond with your Servant.”

“Well thank you, I’m bursting with confidence now! Also, fuck you.”

“Not for all the treasures of Uruk, child.”

“Also, the Fourth Reich is deploying. It is likely they will target Caster and Assassin.”

“One fucking thing at a time! God!”

“What?”

“I fucking hate you.”

Maria’s Choice
    1. Take on Archer.
    2. Try to pacify the Herald gone feral.
    3. Write-in.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Well now. Thanks Maid for adding some urgency to proceedings. How considerate. I wonder why being called a manipulator amuses her so much.

- - - Updated - - -

Also:
    so I had hypothesized one or more of the mages still active are using magecraft of the Imaginary Element and unwittingly creating holes for them to pour in
    That's not a good sign for Sakura. Just whose battery is she now?
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

So, is unbridled arrogance a mark of all Mesopotamian Servants, I wonder?

Anyway, tough call. I'd like to go for the classic "protagonist appeals to emotional bonds to bring possessed friend back to their side", but I feel like Maria didn't get enough Bond Points with the Herald for that, so let's go with the seemingly rational choice: 1.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, Google fails me again! It can't find "Gurasudanna". Is there maybe a different spelling, Daneel? Or is it something really that obscure?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpoonyViking View Post
    Also, Google fails me again! It can't find "Gurasudanna". Is there maybe a different spelling, Daneel? Or is it something really that obscure?
    Nah, don't bother. It doesn't really have a proper name, so I just made one up.

US Friend Code

I have to agree with the others in that I don't think Maria is close enough with the Herald to be able to reach it.

Really glad the Maria vote won though, I vastly underestimated just how fun seeing the Maid and Maria interact would be.

Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Rush View Post
    Nah, don't bother. It doesn't really have a proper name, so I just made one up.
    Ah, ok. Thanks!

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Bird of Hermes's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Finally read the update and although the Enuma Elish scene is still my favourite update, this is up there.

Ok, with “You cannot match Archer with that deficient bond with your Servant.” indicates that Saver vs Archer is a crappy matchup in our regard. The Meido has proven to be many things but a liar doesn't seem to be one of them. Furthermore The Herald took down Lancer Lily whom The Maid shares the same identity/true name etc so that's a bad matchup on that regard too. However, with Senta being all but confirmed dead I'd say only The Maid can save her and stop her being dead dead. This said, if Maria and Saver work in tandem together perhaps they could take down Archer...

3 - Both charge The Herald with Maria taking point and Maid as backup/support. Once Senta is removed/healed/etc if possible then split. The Maid can focus on the big ol' pupper while Saver takes out Archer. Everyone wins.

JP Friend Code
    616288630 tell/pm/whatev
    Blog Entries
    Press F for Herald.