Page 7381 of 7876 FirstFirst ... 638168817281733173717376737973807381738273837386739174317481 ... LastLast
Results 147,601 to 147,620 of 157511

Thread: Questions, questions and more questions (READ THE OP FOR ANSWERS)

JP Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Zork Knight View Post
    Not as of December 2016
    I remember when Aphrodite called humans as babies who are still learning to walk, one dude on Olympus stream I watch raged and said "what did u just say bitch? my childhood ended in part 1"

Blog Entries
    somehow I doubt it
    かん
    ぎゅう
    じゅう
    とう

Expresses the exceeding size of one's library.
    Books are extremely many, loaded on an oxcart the ox will sweat.
    At home piled to the ridgepole of the house, from this meaning.
    Read out as 「Ushi ni ase shi, munagi ni mitsu.」
    Source: 柳宗元「其為書,處則充棟宇,出則汗牛馬。」— Tang Dynasty

US Friend Code
    Can I ask something about Kara no Kyoukai's translation here? I've read the novels years ago but nowadays I'm hearing that the translation was horrible? Is there a better translation somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    Type-Moon, especially Nasu, is just huge on the idea there's no progress with conflict and competition.
    Goetia and Amakusa are bad because making humans physically unable to harm each other would drive the competition stakes to zero and halt progress.
    Shi Huang got their ass kicked by Jing Ke because they stopped evolving after they run out of competitors.
    Kirschtaria was good because he was just giving humanity cooler tools without compromising competition.
    Even Twice, the exaggerated strawman version of Nasu's hot take, is treated by the narrative with much more respect than he ever deserved
    It's so stupid, and lemme be blunt i think nasu's philosophy is actually one big reason his works have gotten worse.

I got annoyed when i was forced to agree with twice post the boss fight,

Quote Originally Posted by TheSkipRow View Post
    Can I ask something about Kara no Kyoukai's translation here? I've read the novels years ago but nowadays I'm hearing that the translation was horrible? Is there a better translation somewhere?
    There are two translations, Cokesakto's which is HORRIBLE because it might as well be an original work as opposed to a translation, and then there's Baka-Tsuki's tl which is a lot more literal but still sticks to the source, but it's not close to finished. There are no other translations though, at least not finished, so you're kinda sol with the novels.

- - - Updated - - -

Unless you know polish or w/e
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Ugh cokesakto no no no
    Quote Originally Posted by Neir View Post
    your ability to be wrong about literally everything you post is truly astounding. Even a broken clock is right twice a day, but you haven't been right once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kateikyo View Post
    The gay pics were the most entertaining thing going on in this discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Byegod View Post
    It's so stupid, and lemme be blunt i think nasu's philosophy is actually one big reason his works have gotten worse.

I got annoyed when i was forced to agree with twice post the boss fight,
    Quote Originally Posted by RoydGolden View Post
    On the other hand Nasu outright places "Comparison/Competition" in the form of Primate Murder as a human evil that has to be surpassed, so it's a little more nuanced than that.
    It's not presented as something good or bad, just something that makes humans what they are at the current point. Thinking this is actually "Nasu's philosophy" is wrong. Again, the outcomes are usually implied to be humanity reaching a dead end due to that reason or evolving past the need for conflict/consumption into a superior lifeform. It's indeed far more nuanced that "Nasu thinks this is good".

were the "reason of earth" and "reason of heaven" modes of Ea ever elaborated on outside of CCC? is there any info on what they actually do differently? all I recall is that "reason of heaven" could pierce potnia theron/ten crowns while "reason of earth" couldn't

JP Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by CO9p5JMGv!p9 View Post
    were the "reason of earth" and "reason of heaven" modes of Ea ever elaborated on outside of CCC? is there any info on what they actually do differently?
    It is speculation base on Gil's NP line. On one side people believe it's just Gil unleashing big guns. On one side people believe there is a difference (me included). However nothing is clear, all are purely fanon atm.

all I recall is that "reason of heaven" could pierce potnia theron/ten crowns while "reason of earth" couldn't
    This is not a thing, because as I said the "reason" is fanon base on his NP line atm. You probably hear this ten crown thing from some gilwankers.

Potnia Theron was nullified by wearing the mythic code of origin, which is available to all servants in all routes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
    More generally, humanity's salvation has to come from a human place. A psychopath or an autist is going to be missing something important in the large picture, and cause more harm than good.

Spoiler:

Here, she retorts that these kinds of things are what would cause humanity's destruction / the Sixth instead, which is a non sequitur, but also an interesting factoid. Generally each of these definitely not same guy villains will have it pointed out to them that maybe they're missing something important, and they'll say 'no, you're the one getting humanity wrong, I am right, my autism says so' and then everybody fights with huge laser beams. At least Sion admits individuality is a thing, I guess, and tries to work with the fallout, rather than trying to make everybody into a robot too, except that she has to turn currently existing humanity into the fallout of the Sixth because just sleeping until after humanity's demise comes naturally wouldn't be dramatic enough.

You could probably go with a more basic comparsion, like how humanity is still a child, and giving a child something for free will not teach it anything. But no, it has to be as unintelligible as possible.
    Well nasu has to strawman somehow.

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle All fictions's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Stellar counterargument
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    Punching out some nerd doesn't make you a better magus.

Did Nero in Fate persecute Christians, or was that just vilification done to make her look bad?
    My Job Description
    Quote Originally Posted by Arch-Magos Winter View Post
    When Agailius thinks your idea is really really stupid, you know you've screwed up.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    I don't think they've covered that topic specifically, but I seem to recall one of her attacks in the Extra manga was named after early Christian iconography, so I'd bet on the latter.

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle All fictions's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by fate/extra matrix
    While popular abroad and with the lower castes at home, the Senate and the higher caste members of the empire grew weary of her populist policies, extravagant expenditures on public entertainments, and occasionally irrational repression of religious expression.
    really makes you think
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    Punching out some nerd doesn't make you a better magus.

Wha...? That makes no sense. Why would the Senate care about that?

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six Zork Knight's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by SpoonyViking View Post
    Why would a girl be made empress in notoriously sexist Rome?

Quote Originally Posted by SpoonyViking View Post
    Probably cuz Irrational which always sucks.

Real-life Roman prejudice against Christians wasn't exactly rational, though, nor limited to the government. It actually took some time for the Roman government to actively persecute Christians on a large scale; most of the early actions and prejudices against Christians came from the general populace.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zork Knight View Post
    Why would a girl be made empress in notoriously sexist Rome?
    Eh. I can accept an exceptional individual bucking historical trends more easily than Roman senators as a whole caring about a marginalised mystery cult.
    Last edited by SpoonyViking; May 13th, 2020 at 05:41 PM.

Eh, well, we have known for a long time that the past in the Nasuverse has only a shaky resemblance to the past in real life. A significantly different social attitude in 1st-century A.D. Rome isn't so out-of-place compared to flying vimanas.

Not that I want to justify this kind of thing, but that's how it is.
    O walls, you have held up so much tedious graffiti that I am amazed you have not already collapsed in ruin.

Presia messe noce yor tes mea TwilightsCall's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    My guess would be that the open persecution of Roman citizens (specifically, not the ethnic Jews) was a significant issue, even if they were members of a technically illegal cult. I'm not sure they'd care much about the fact they were Christians.

But like Walnut said, it's really a question we can't answer until it's answered for us, because we can't really trust the past to resemble anything we know from history.
    My Fanfiction - Almost entirely short stories and oneshots

Blog Entries
    the past is completely different, but all the famous people have the same names
    かん
    ぎゅう
    じゅう
    とう

Expresses the exceeding size of one's library.
    Books are extremely many, loaded on an oxcart the ox will sweat.
    At home piled to the ridgepole of the house, from this meaning.
    Read out as 「Ushi ni ase shi, munagi ni mitsu.」
    Source: 柳宗元「其為書,處則充棟宇,出則汗牛馬。」— Tang Dynasty