Page 337 of 371 FirstFirst ... 237287327332335336337338339342347 ... LastLast
Results 6,721 to 6,740 of 7412

Thread: The Grail Works Mission Dossier (Discussion & Ideas)

Blog Entries
    ...Kieran, let's be honest here. I never said that it took place in Nazi Germany, nor did I say it was an original novel. True, the amount I told you about was probably enough to confuse you on the subject, but the source material for this is actually Dies Irae ~Amantes amentes~. I know you can find a complete Let's Play on YouTube for the game.

As for the rest of the points... 1) I didn't know that. I thought it was more along the lines of allowing the operatives to age in their native universe(s) than anything else. My mistake.

2) ...should I do something about this so that others can understand how the timeline differences will work out? I mean, especially since the three in question are supposed to be vastly different from their canonical selves by the time they reach the same age. Or was that not what you were talking about?
    Xamusel's Fanfiction Profile

For those that don't necessarily care if my fics aren't all Type-Moon related.

Hmm... this is a bit of a surprise these days.

An archive of my works on the forum that's pretty accurate.

Note that I don't wish to be seen as an idiot any longer. I can't always promise better works than before, but I can sure as hell try, alright?

Master of Hermione Alter Kieran's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Xamusel View Post
    ...Kieran, let's be honest here. I never said that it took place in Nazi Germany, nor did I say it was an original novel. True, the amount I told you about was probably enough to confuse you on the subject, but the source material for this is actually Dies Irae ~Amantes amentes~. I know you can find a complete Let's Play on YouTube for the game.
    Ah - I think I looked this up, once . . .

As for the rest of the points... 1) I didn't know that. I thought it was more along the lines of allowing the operatives to age in their native universe(s) than anything else. My mistake.
    I'd apologise myself for being unclear, but I'm not sure how I could've given you that impression.

2) ...should I do something about this so that others can understand how the timeline differences will work out? I mean, especially since the three in question are supposed to be vastly different from their canonical selves by the time they reach the same age. Or was that not what you were talking about?
    That's not a bad idea, either, but what I meant is that you're talking about adding permanent characters to the setting that anyone writing Shirou or writing about Shirou will need to know intimately; both the characters themselves and the setting that they come from. Nobody who wants to do anything with Shirou again will ever be able to ignore them - and that is, potentially, a very big problem. As a standalone crossover idea (i.e., not a Works story, just "Shirou in Dies Irae"), it's fine, but in the context of the Works as a setting . . .

If all you want to do is a crossover with the setting, on the other hand, it might be that Shirou needs to "stand in" for the actual setting's Shirou, for some reason; or uses that identity as an undercover alias while doing whatever it is he's there to do.
    “Love will be cruel to who it entices — love will have its sacrifices.”

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries

Cries of Confusion (Higurashi X-over), Part 4

Avalon Castle, Phantasmagoria Island (Grail Works, Ltd. Headquarters)
    Outside the boundaries of time and space

OW!” Ilya exclaimed, clapping her hands over her ears. After a beat, she lowered them, shaking her head. “That . . . That hurt!

“Are you all right, Ilya-chan?” Shirou questioned. “What happened?”

“I think so,” Ilya said in an uneven voice, “and I tried to trace his path to the date and location you said, but it was like a bunch of cicadas were suddenly screaming in my head—cicadas the size of Berserker . . .

(Shirou immediately shoved the image that brought to mind deep into his subconscious; his nightmares more than enough fuel.)

“Why would that happen?” he asked instead. “I mean, you’ve monitored entirely alien universes before—this should be easy by comparison, right?”

“It should,” Ilya agreed, “but . . .”

She frowned. “I recognise some of the effect as the Kaleidoscope; it might be the source of it, at least. But . . . Onii-chan, have you heard of a concept called ‘Schrödinger’s Cat’ before?”

“I think it got mentioned in science class once,” he said uncertainly. “That’s the experiment about the cat locked in a box with poison, right? And because the poison’s released at random, you can’t know whether it’s dead or alive unless you open it?”

“And until you do, it can be considered both dead and alive—that’s right, Onii-chan,” Ilya confirmed.

“All right,” he acknowledged, “and what’s that got to do with this . . .?

“I think, because of the Kaleidoscope effect or because he’s in our past, I’m not just trying to locate him in history, I’m trying to see him as history happens,” she explained. “And trying to see the same series of events as both past and present . . . Well, Justeaze might have managed it, but I like being me too much.”

“So we can’t even go to help him?” Shirou exclaimed, dismayed.

“Oh, I can open a Door there,” Ilya assured him. “But I can’t really see anything that’s going on once you’re through it; until one of us figures out a workaround, it’s a one-way trip—and I don’t think Taiga would like—or understand—having a thirty-eight-year-old you show up for class tomorrow . . .”

Shirou sighed, slumping in defeat. “I guess not.”

“. . . Cheer up, Onii-chan,” Ilya reassured him. “We can still research things from here to find out what happened; maybe send him a care package, or something. Or we might figure out a way to go there directly that doesn’t give me a skull-splitting migraine,” she added cheerfully.

Shirou frowned in thought. “What if he summons a Servant, like he did in that other universe? Could you connect to him then?”

“Well, it’s a direct invocation, so ye—” The albino girl stopped, eyes widening. “Oh, no.”

“What is it?” Shirou demanded. “What’s wrong?”

“I’ll hear the ‘call,’ but it’ll be routed through the local Holy Grail,” Ilya murmured, “And because this is our history—Onii-chan, in 1983 . . .

Shirou’s eyes widened in sudden realisation, and he cut her off in voicing it.

“The tainted Grail was still active . . .”

Ilya nodded, and he felt himself pale to match her complexion.

“. . . But he’d realise that, surely?” the redheaded magus asked feebly.

“Probably,” Ilya conceded, prompting a surge of relief—which died an abrupt and painful death as she continued in the same breath, “if he realises that he’s in our world at all.”

Shirou forced himself to breathe. “Let’s . . . Let’s get on with that research, shall we? I think we need to know what exactly happened in Hinamizawa, immedia—

Hinamizawa?” cut in a girl’s voice, her tone incredulous.

Shirou and Ilya turned to see Tohno Akiha standing in the corridor outside, still clad in her school uniform.

Her club meeting must’ve ended early, he thought, but any further thought was derailed by her demanding, “You said ‘Hinamizawa’—as in, ‘Hinamizawa Village?’ In Shishibone?”

“. . . That’s probably right?” Shirou offered. He was going by the inscription on the back of a photograph, after all, not a mailing address.

Akiha-san’s blue eyes had never looked so much like Rin’s, as they narrowed to near-glowing slits that burned with an intensity equal to, yet in total opposition of, the icy implacability of her next words.

“Tell me everything,” she demanded. “At once.

The idea of failing to comply never so much as crossed Shirou’s mind . . .

For her own part, Ilya frowned, finding herself torn between admiration of Tohno-san’s skill and technique, and possessive jealousy of the sudden appearance of yet another rival, and one in quite an unexpected area, at that.

. . . After all, terrifying Onii-chan was her job, right and privilege!

Shishibone Public Library
    Okinomiya
    May 30, 1983

“Well, shit,” Frid hissed under his breath.

According to the latest map of Japan, Fuyuki City and Misaki Town both existed—so he was still in a Nasuverse, at least. One of the weirder ones, presumably, as they weren’t supposed to coexist, but it was still somewhere recognisable. That wasn’t all that helpful, however—because according to the latest newspaper, it was 1983. And that meant that most of the people he knew (regardless of whether or not they’d know him) in either place hadn’t even been born yet!

And scratch trying to summon a Servant to catch Ilya’s attention, he thought. With my luck, it’ll be Angra Mainyu who answers instead of her . . .

. . . Why am I here?

His night had been restless, full of dreams woven of half-remembered fragments of memory, no more coherent in the comfort of a hotel bed than the poking and prodding of a trash heap. How he’d gotten here remained a mystery—Frid had the sense that, as before, he’d expected to die—but the greater one remained, why was he here, of all places? It wasn’t Fuyuki, or Misaki, Mifune or even Trifas; nowhere familiar to him in TYPE-MOON lore. That he was in such a world, and twenty-odd years earlier than when things normally happened—with no evidence of being summoned to it . . .

It has to be because of the Works’ mission, if not the Works itself: I’m here because someone needs me to be—but whom and why? I can’t think of anything in TYPE-MOON timeline that happens in 1983; heck, I can’t think of much of anything that specifically happens in 1983—and as this isn’t Hawkins, Indiana, I think I can rule out the plot of Stranger Things.

. . . Then again, it
    would be my luck to be on the other side of the planet from where I’m actually supposed to be, wouldn’t it?

Frid got up from his table and pulled out an atlas—nope, Hawkins did not exist, so that wasn’t it . . .

Closing the atlas on the table, he leaned forward on his elbows, and put his face in his hands.

All right, let’s try a
    different angle: what do I have to work with? I still have Command Spells—but summoning a Servant from the tainted Grail is just asking for trouble, even if it was powered up enough to allow it . . . I still have Hel’s whip (which really needs a name, he reminded himself), and I appear to be in pretty good, if not exactly superhuman, physical condition—and as for magic. . . .

He’d undertaken a mental “deep dive” before seeking breakfast this morning—when he was more cognizant and aware, and hopefully better able to process his perceptions and surroundings. The results were . . . Odd. As before, unfortunately, he’d noted no reflexive “mental switches,” meant to toggle a particular ability on or off; likewise, there was no innate spell knowledge, such as a D&D-style “prepared spell” caster or a magus with a crest, ought to have. And yet, he had a sense of something—no, even calling it that was too generous. It was a sense of “not nothing,” like you got from a house with no visible activity, but wasn’t certain to be empty.

What that meant, he had no idea. Whether it indicated simply a potential to do magic, or a reaction to the comparatively low ambient magic of this place (Rin had compared him to a caster from the Age of the Gods before), the presence of something that required specific conditions he had yet to meet, or something else entirely . . . Frid just had the sense that there was not a total inability in regards to magic, when it came to him.

Probably indicating that I could, at least, summon a Servant, and maybe even support one—at least, to Shirou’s level—if doing it in the first place wasn’t a horrifically bad idea . . .

If so, then in theory he could probably use the whip, as well. At the very least, it would be more than a probably-indestructible bladed chain in his hands—though what use he might have for a vampiric (and quite possibly soul-devouring) probably-indestructible bladed chain in someplace this peaceful was certainly debatable.

Still, Frid had to admit he found the possibility of its use reassuring, all the same; he’d had the unshakable impression he was being watched all morning . . .

Which might just be because you’re a six-foot-tall Westerner in a small country town in Japan, in the 1980s? You’re probably the first white guy that most—if any—of the people around here have seen outside of a TV screen . . .

Frid hated that snarky voice in the back of his head. Not only was it a colossal jerk, it was right far too often.

Sighing inwardly, the reality-displaced hero-wannabe began putting materials away. Assuming that he was here because the Works’ mission to help people had drawn him here, then it was quite possible that that had been where he’d been needed; it followed the general principle of how Ilya’s Doors worked, as he understood it, anyways. It would mean dealing with THE STENCH again, but there wasn’t much choice. If Frid turned out to be wrong, he’d come back here and see what the local newspapers and records could tell him about the area; maybe there was an obvious issue he could find . . .

With my luck, it’ll turn out that I was supposed to stop Miss Machete from butchering somebody, and it’s already too late . . .

No,
    stop thinking like that—it’s not helpful, and overly pessimistic. Just like this “I’m being watched” bit; you’ve felt this before, when you went shopping at that Asian mall. It’s not a nice reaction to suddenly feel overwhelmingly alienated by your surroundings, but it’s not something intended on their parts—and probably how new immigrants and foreign visitors feel on your turf. Try to remember that, and move on.

Shaking his head, and dismissing all paranoid thoughts of being too late, or spied upon, Frid left the library quietly once his workspace was cleaned and the books properly re-shelved—what little professional pride he had coming to the fore.

Sitting at a table across from that space, another reader carefully concealed raising his walkie-talkie to his mouth with the book in his other hand.

“Target is on the move—continuing surveillance . . .”

Sonozaki Main House
    Hinamizawa Village

“‘Canada?’ Where’s that, again?”

Mion Sonozaki sighed, despairing for her twin’s geography grades. “That big country on top of America—known mostly for snow, polite people, and making sweet sauce out of maple tree sap, apparently.”

“I knew he was too polite to be American,” Shion said triumphantly, the sound of a towel going across her hair coming through the phone’s earpiece. “Any idea where he came from?”

“Neither Dad nor Granny have any idea about him—which is the only reason I got permission to have him looked into, by the way,” she scolded her sister.

“Hey, I thought I was being nice! Shion protested. “It seemed like the kind of thing you’d want to know about, if you didn’t already.”

“And you’re feeling nosy,” Mion remarked dryly.

“Oh, like you wouldn’t be,” she retorted witheringly, and Mion laughed.

“You’ve got me there, I suppose,” she admitted cheerfully, a smile tugging at her lips. She’d missed bantering with her twin, and it was nice to hear Shion in a good mood; more importantly, one that didn’t sound like she was just putting on a brave front . . . Which didn’t mean that Mion was above tweaking her sister’s nose just a little, of course.

So,” the heiress said importantly, crossing her legs and settling into an anticipatory position, “what was it that made him so . . . Attractive to you?” She drew out the word significantly.

“Wh—NEE-SAN! Shion spluttered. “It wasn’t like that!

Suurre it wasn’t,” Mion pressed, smirking to herself.

“I was more wondering how he wasn’t dead, her sister insisted. “The poor guy looked terrible . . . There was a pause, and then she came back with, “. . . And does the demon hag know you’re reading the kinds of trashy romance novels that put these ideas in your head?”

What?!” Mion exclaimed. “I am not—and leave Granny out of this!”

“So what will I find if I search your drawers and futon . . .?” Shion drawled.

Mion growled, wishing for the ability to reach through the phone and throttle her sister. “See if I do you a favour again . . .”

Ha—I win!” Shion crowed triumphantly.

Mion pouted. If there was one thing she absolutely hated, it was losing—

As an idea suddenly occurred to her, an even more evil smirk spread across her face.

“And as your prize,” Mion said sweetly, “I’ll have the gaijin delivered to your apartment, gift-wrapped, so you can do whatever you want with him—just remember that Granny will probably have a heart attack if you get pregnant, OK?”

There was a sudden choking noise over the phone, as though Shion had unexpectedly swallowed her tongue. It was followed, after a beat, by an unholy shriek of outrage.

MION—!

Cheerfully, the other girl replied quickly, “Gottagotoschoolnowbyeee!

Mion hung up feeling some measure of vengeful satisfaction; even if she knew that her accusation was baseless and ridiculous—to begin with, Shion wasn’t that kind of girl, and she was remarkably faithful to Satoko-chan’s missing brother, for all that they hadn’t really had much of a chance at a relationship . . .

The smile vanished from Mion’s face as the thought surfaced in her mind that her sister had certainly paid enough for it, anyways.

Shaking her head, the Sonozaki heiress banished those particular memories, and the associated guilt, once more. She’d done what she had to, and what she could; all that remained now was to do her best with what remained.

. . . Still, she reflected, it was nice to see Shion take an interest in someone outside of Satoshi-kun, and a pet project beyond seeing just how far she could go to piss off their elders without getting into trouble—

Mion stopped, reflected on that thought, and reconsidered her last statement to Shion.

Crap—Oyashiro-sama, please, please don’t let her take that as a suggestion . . .

Writer's Notes: Would Shion seriously pursue Godafrid as a romantic interest . . .? I doubt it. Would she make Mion think she was, just to screw with her sister . . .? Absolutely - trolling is one of the Sonozaki twins' shared favourite pastimes.

. . . I am mildly uncertain as to what array of powers, if any, Frid ought to have for this; as it's not only Higurashi, but based in TYPE-MOON metaphysics, it seems deadly enough to warrant something . . . An Exaltation (even Sidereal) is probably too powerful; as is a Scion - though if limited to the Hero tier, Gaia might let him get away with it. It's not like they're overly powerful, compared to everything else roaming the planet . . .

Truthfully, though, I'm considering a different Onyx Path character type - one which I think would mesh very well with TYPE-MOON thematically, and be useful to the Works, without being overpowered in nature - a Sin-Eater.

Suggestions, comments, criticisms?
    Last edited by Kieran; November 1st, 2020 at 09:50 PM.

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle
    That character type... yeah, does seem like an interesting choice. I started looking through the other Onyx Path character paths, and none of the others really seemed to fit well. The metaphysics seem possibly appropriate for what Godafrid is, and the relationship with Hel also tinges it in a fitting way. Definitely very relevant in this setting. With TYPE-MOON in general... well, they do have ghosts and various related things, so yeah. I'm not sure there's a real underworld outside of Babylonia, most of the time, though.

I've only gotten through the first 2 Higurashi anime arcs so far (and most of the third), so I have slightly more familiarity with Shion than I did previously. She's still kind of opaque to me though, I don't feel like I understand her well enough to make predictions about her behaviour. Akiha's interest in goings-on in Hinamizawa seems to align with some things I've seen so far. I'm also not surprised the Sonozaki are having Godafrid followed. That last sentence is... telling.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbitrarity View Post
    That character type... yeah, does seem like an interesting choice. I started looking through the other Onyx Path character paths, and none of the others really seemed to fit well.
    No, not really. Given the Works' use of and connection to Avalon, a Changeling might make sense - but that very connection would make it a terrible idea, for multiple reasons.

The metaphysics seem possibly appropriate for what Godafrid is, and the relationship with Hel also tinges it in a fitting way. Definitely very relevant in this setting.
    That was my thought, along with "allows for some power, on a scale with the others (if not lower, actually), and a set of skills the Works doesn't have." The ability to interrogate - and, if necessary, pacify - the dead could be very useful to them . . . Granted, Shiki or Arc could probably just tear through them, but this offers a more subtle approach that verges on the diplomatic (with the caveat that it is Frid, so . . .).

With TYPE-MOON in general... well, they do have ghosts and various related things, so yeah. I'm not sure there's a real underworld outside of Babylonia, most of the time, though.
    The fact that death is largely unknowable, however, gives me some leeway - it could simply be the way he interacts with it, as opposed to others. And given the existence of the Reverse Side, Fae Realm, and the fact that the Christian religion has power, it's not impossible, either. And as Ereshkigal is a named entity in Geist (though no more than that, sadly), there's some crossover, too.

And of course, the ability to be very hard to actually kill could be quite useful in Higurashi, specifically . . .

I've only gotten through the first 2 Higurashi anime arcs so far (and most of the third), so I have slightly more familiarity with Shion than I did previously. She's still kind of opaque to me though, I don't feel like I understand her well enough to make predictions about her behaviour.
    In fairness, you're not the only one - I feel much the same . . . And her history is - complex, let's say. It is (largely) covered in the first season ("Meakashi/Eye-Opening Arc," Episodes 16 - 21), so just keep going.

Akiha's interest in goings-on in Hinamizawa seems to align with some things I've seen so far.
    It's my hope to bring in more of the Tsukihime cast, this way - they've been too long neglected. Though how to handle the setting's native Ciel-expy, I'm still deciding . . .

I'm also not surprised the Sonozaki are having Godafrid followed.
    Given that the village as a rule isn't particularly welcoming to outsiders, and their particular power base, I'd be more surprised at their restraint, really; either that, or he'll wake up tied to a chair with a bag over his head later.

That last sentence is... telling.
    Yeah - Shion has several issues with the family hierarchy. Long-standing, and admittedly largely justified, too (though not entirely, to be fair). The Sonozaki would fit right in with a lot of magus bloodlines, for all that they're supposedly demon-blooded.

At the same time, Shion is fiercely devoted to her "Satoshi-kun," so I really don't think anything is likely to come out of it . . . On the other hand, she loves teasing Mion, and what she's capable of out of sheer spite is . . . Well, it's impressive, in a truly horrifying way. If she's pushed the right way at the wrong time . . .

It partly depends on what version of the world I set up on, I suppose; both in how Nasuverse mechanics apply to Higurashi, and in Higurashi's canon itself. I do need to figure out some things, still.

(I suppose I should ask - would you prefer a Keiichi/Rena or a Keiichi/Mion pairing . . .? )
    Last edited by Kieran; November 1st, 2020 at 08:28 PM.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries

Something a little *lighter* (?) . . .

A space between life and death
    Sometime after the Great Holy Grail War

Unlike most people, Shirou did not immediately panic when he roused to sudden awareness in a literal fog. That was not to stay that he wasn’t startled, or wary—Tohsaka’s assertions to the side, he wasn’t always an idiot—but he’d been through enough magically-induced dreams and visions during the Grail War (a certain dragon coming to mind) to be familiar with the sensation.

This . . . Well, this whatever-it-was, it had a similar sensation. And like Rider’s Blood Fort Andromeda, it gave off a hint of intent, as well; not malign, like the previous Bounded Field, but more passive. It was . . . Sombre, if Shirou had to put a name to it—or reflective, maybe.

He puzzled on exactly what it was he did feel, so deeply that he might be forgiven for not noticing things beginning to clear slightly in his vicinity.

“I’m very sorry,” said the beautiful lady in the antique-looking chair (causing him to jump, startled), “but I’m afraid you’ve died.”

From his peripheral vision, Shirou could see that the room was largely empty, though what there was of it was quite elegant. The floor was a checkerboard of black-and-white marble tiles, the wooden furniture polished and well-crafted—and Western in design—while the ceiling was either transparent or non-existent, showing a dazzling view of a night sky (and not Earth’s, he believed; astronomy wasn’t his strong suit).

. . . Granted, the “walls” seemed mostly to consist of that hazy, gray fog, but one couldn’t have everyth—

“Wait!” Shirou blurted as the statement finally penetrated his understanding. “I died?

“Your death was painless,” the statuesque woman assured her, clear blue eyes glimmering earnestly. “There wasn’t time for it to hurt.” She frowned. “Though I can’t understand just how someone your age dies of exhaustion while cooking . . .

Shirou frowned himself, puzzled. “I wasn’t making any more complicated dishes than normal, or even larger portions. Maybe it was something I did before that? Let’s see . . . I helped Issei clean out the storage shed after I replaced that fuse—it was too big a trip hazard not to. After that, I went home and helped Sakura clean up the breakfast dishes, then the grocery shopping . . .”

He’d actually needed to use Reinforcement on himself to carry all the bags—pity that neither Rider nor Saber had been available.

“I fixed those broken tiles in the roof,” he continued, “re-sanded and polished the dojo walls and floor, mowed the yard—then there was lunch . . . After that, I helped Fuji-nee and Saber practise for a kendo tournament next week, made snacks for them, helped Old Man Raiga out by replacing an engine block on one of his cars—that was heavy, but I took my time—did my homework, made another snack for Saber for her break at the bar while I pulled my shift there—today was inventory day—”

The woman blinked suddenly, and Shirou suddenly realised she’d been staring at him in astonishment.

“You did all that TODAY?” she exclaimed in a disbelieving tone.

“Yeah,” Shirou said, shrugging. “Which is why I don’t get it—compared to the rest of the week so far, today was a breeze!

“. . . How are you at handling paperwork?” the woman asked suddenly.

Now it was Shirou who blinked, though in confusion, this time.

“I’m sorry?” he prompted.

“Never mind,” she said, just as suddenly, in a more sour tone. In her final exhalation, Shirou thought he heard her add something like, “They’d never let me keep you—bunch of killjoys . . .

He decided that he couldn’t possibly have heard her correctly—and in any case, a shake of her head sent her pale blue locks flying to-and-fro; clearly, she considered the topic closed.

“In any case,” she continued, “since you died in Japan, at such a tragically young age, you’ve now fallen into my care.” She smiled beatifically. “I am the goddess Aqua, and I am here to present your options from here on out.”

Shirou had never really considered the afterlife before. His upbringing was odd enough to make traditional Japanese customs feel ill-fitting, even if he did follow them, generally. He might have believed in the Christian Heaven, prior to meeting Kotomine; now, not so much. And while Rin’s description of what happened to souls in magus terms might make a logical sort of sense, he’d also seen enough things—like Heroic Spirits, and demigods from ancient pantheons that were supposedly myths—to think that there had to be more to it than simply getting “recycled by the Root” . . .

Still, a blue-haired European girl named the Latin word for “water” being put in charge of Japanese souls (even if it was maybe just Japanese teenagers? The way she’d phrased things made him wonder) was a little too out-of-context to be believable.

The hammer of a gun drew back in his mind—not quite cocking it, not yet, but ready at an instant, as Shirou began cataloguing what he knew of weak points on the human body, and how they’d likely apply to the lady before him. (He’d have preferred to search for potential exits, but the fog was too pervasive and opaque; thus, what few options he had were limited to immediate self-defence and/or threats of bodily harm.)

“Now, first,” the goddess continued, apparently oblivious to his thoughts, “you could simply choose to be reborn, and start your life all over again—but that's really boring, don’t you think? Secondly, you could choose to go to Heaven . . .” Trailing off, she leaned over and whispering conspiratorially, “but between you and me, it’s really, really boring there: there’s nothing to do by lie around in the sun. You don’t even have a body there, so you can’t ever have sex—!”

Shirou started, momentarily shocked out of his mindset. Partly because he was a teenaged Japanese male, with all the social conditioning and hormonal reticence that implied, and partly because the sudden shift in her tone and expression utterly shattered the goddess’ previous projection of solemn dignity.

Another cough heralded a leading statement. “ . . . Or, there is a third option. You see, there’s a world right out of the video games kids like you love—”

Not being a gamer in any meaningful sense—he’d played a few with Shinji, once upon a time, but it’d never been anything he even really had access to (at least, until Kohaku-san had moved in)—Shirou kind of resented the stereotype. More alarmingly, the tone of her voice and general expression set off warning bells in the back of his mind. Aqua-san was suddenly reminding him of Tohsaka, in her persona as the school’s idol, when she wanted something . . .

“And it’s under siege from a terrible Demon Lord,” Aqua continued, again seemingly unaware of his thoughts (which was weird, because couldn’t Belldandy read minds?) “It’s so terrible that no one wants to be reborn there, and the loss of life will mean its doom . . .

“But if you’re willing to fight,” she proclaimed, “then we’re willing to send you there with your current body and memories, and a special godly cheat power or item!”

Inwardly, Shirou frowned. If things were really that bad, then shouldn’t a Door have opened to that world . . .?

Shirou wasn’t stupid; impulsive, hot-blooded, and self-sacrificing, yes (which, according to many of his friends, amounted to being stupid), but in terms of actual intelligence, he was far from the lowest on the scale—just, perhaps, the lowest relative to the people he knew. As such, though he might jump into things without a plan, he was perfectly capable of analysing situations, and becoming suspicious of things that seemed out of place.

He was in an “afterlife” that, frankly, made no sense; at least, relative to anything he knew of or understood. He was being offered the chance to be a hero, and save a world—perfect bait for someone like him, Shirou admitted—and with all his own abilities plus an extra “divine” gift . . . Except that just dropping dead of overwork seemed ridiculous, and if a world really was in danger that he could save, the Works should have been in contact with it; that was the whole point of it.

There were any number of beings he’d heard of that might be capable of throwing something like this together, to mess with his head—but the ones he could think of that might be inclined to wouldn’t go about it this way. For example, the Wizard Marshal, according to Tohsaka, was a lot more straightforward in his approach; he’d give Shirou just enough information to induce panic, drop him into the situation over his objections, and sit back to watch the fireworks. Shirou had never met the man (to use the polite term), and knew very well how Rin tended to exaggerate (she was a bit high-strung, after all) but seeing what she had gone through in the name of her apprenticeship, he bowed to her superior expertise in the matter.

Likewise, the Lord of Blood and Contracts might offer a “Faustian bargain,” if he’d managed to gain her interest, or she thought she would enjoy the chaos and destruction that would result—but so far as Shirou was aware, they’d never met. And if all she wanted was blood, she’d just kill him without all this pageantry.

So, he mused, I’ve found myself in the plot of an isekai novel; and it’s either the most ridiculously-designed trap I’ve ever seen, or it’s actually genuine, because a real trap would make more logical sense than this . . .

But if things were so bad, why hadn’t a Door—oh.

“Do you make this offer to everyone?” Shirou asked.

The goddess’ face reddened. “Well, we had to do something—and the Japanese have the concept of ‘isekai,’ so they’re not unused to the idea, right . . . Besides, what kid wouldn’t like the idea of becoming a fantasy hero in another world? It is the idea of Heaven for a lot of them, right?”

That explained it, Shirou thought—they sent just enough people through to keep hope going in that other world; if it never dropped to the point that Grail Works Limited was their last hope, then a Door would never connect there . . .

And more people have probably suffered because of things dragging on, he thought grimly.

Yes, he still thought that this was likely a trap . . . But then, if it wasn’t a tempting offer, the bait wouldn’t be effective, would it?

“You’ll send me over exactly as I am?” Shirou said. “Do they speak the same language there?”

“Well, no,” Aqua admitted. “We’ll load that into your brain as a freebie; you’ll be able to speak, read and write there—it’d be a lot harder to the defeat the Devil King if you couldn’t communicate with the locals, after all. But yeah,” she added cheerfully, “other than that, you’ll be just the same as you were when you were alive!”

“And what about food?” Shirou pressed.

“Just like Earth, there are foods you can eat there,” she assured him. “The booze is pretty good, too. Now, about your cheat item—”

“If you have a pen I can borrow, please, then I’ll write out what I want for you,” Shirou offered. “Or I could just tell you.”

Aqua’s eyebrows rose in surprise. “Well, normally I’d bring out the list—but it’s a pain putting it all back in order, afterwards, so if your idea doesn’t seem too outlandish, then I’ll agree to it right now!”

“I wouldn’t want to put you to any special effort on my account,” the redheaded magus demurred. “It might not even be possible for you to do it.”

He hadn’t meant anything by it, but the goddess stiffened in such a way that he immediately recognised from dealing with Fuji-nee and Rin (and Saber, though she was usually more subtle about it).

Listen, buster,” she said. “I’m a high-ranking goddess—I can do all kinds of things! I’d like to see you try to come up with some kind of cheat item or power I can’t create!”

“All right,” Shirou acknowledged, “I want as my ‘cheat item’ the person who answers to the aliases ‘Kieran Holt,’ ‘Kurai,’ ‘Godafrid Úa Súilleabháin,’ ‘Galen Salvatore’—”

The redhead added his actual name, as well, just in case Aqua would’ve grabbed one of his counterparts by mistake. Frid had initially been an entirely different individual, after all . . .

EASY!” Aqua crowed. “You just stand back and behold the power of a real goddess, Emiya Shirou!”

The similarities to Fuji-nee were beginning to seriously unnerve him . . .

Still, Shirou was satisfied; if he was being sent as he was, then he’d still have both his magecraft and his contract with Saber; a Command Spell ought to suffice for summoning her, and Ilya could track that, and thus, him. But even if she couldn’t, somehow . . . Well, he’d asked for Frid for more than just the fact that he’d probably know whatever world Shirou was being sent to—after losing track of him so often, Rin and Ilya had gone to considerable efforts to “put a bell on him.” No doubt, the minute he got sent to wherever they were going, the Works would be hot on his trail—and again, they’d find Shirou in the process.

A runic pattern surrounded the floor beneath his chair, shining a column of light upwards, and the redheaded magus began to rise.

I hope nobody’s done anything too extreme in my absence, he thought.

And the world vanished into light . . .

Axel, Town of Beginnings
    Kingdom of Belzerg
    Date unknown

Owww . . .” Frid groaned.

Is there some unwritten cosmic rule that says that every involuntary dimension shift I go through has to involve dropping out of the fucking SKY . . .?!

Ignoring the ranting in the back of his mind (it was justified, he just needed to determine how deep of a manure pile he’d been thrown into, first), he staggered to his feet, and glanced around.

This . . .

He blinked.

This is KonoSuba . . . Why am I in KonoSuba?! I haven’t died—well, not lately! And I never saw Aqua, or whoever that angel is who took her place, either; heck, I’d have expected Eris, at least—this is her freaking planet!

He was about to call for Ilya and hope for both an answer and an explanation, when a sudden call from a familiar voice took care of the latter—and turned his blood to ice in the process.

“Ah, you made it—I guess she was telling the truth after all!”

Slowly, Frid turned his head, and took in the sight before him. Yup, that was Shirou—clad in that white-and-blue sweatshirt and pants combination that passed as his “casual” clothing, and not at all what he would’ve worn on an official mission . . .

“Shirou,” Frid said, making a not-quite-successful effort to keep his voice even, “did you die? And if yes, did you happen to meet a woman named Aqua . . .?

The redhead looked embarrassed. “Ah, yeah—that’s what she said, anyway . . . I wasn’t sure I believed her, but you’re here like I asked for, and so am I, so . . .” He shrugged and sighed. “I hope Ilya and the girls aren’t too worried.”

“Oh, I’m pretty sure they’ll be frantic—but as of right now, they should be the least of your worries,” Frid growled.

Shirou blinked. “ . . . Did I do something wrong? Or offend you, somehow?”

“I was on a DATE, damn it!” the other man seethed. “You know how rarely we get the opportunity—and then in the middle of it, suddenly this column of light beams me up out of NOWHERE—!

Shirou winced. “I am really sorry about that—”

“You will be,” he promised. “We both will—because I’m absolutely sure that when she finds us, ‘La Belle Dame sans Merci’ will be less of a teasingly-affectionate nickname than a MASSIVE understatement . . .

A Thousand Curses Upon this Wonderful World!

*Start*
    Continue
    Quit

Writer's Notes: A lousy title, I know - but I have trouble with those, on the spur of the moment.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries
    Okay, Kieran, how did Shirou die?

Note that I don't wish to be seen as an idiot any longer. I can't always promise better works than before, but I can sure as hell try, alright?

Blog Entries
    I'm sorry, I thought I made that clear - he literally worked himself to death helping people.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries
    Okay, now that I finally understand... LOL!! XD I swear, I need to find the right emote for rolling on the floor laughing out loud.

Oh Eris that was hilarious. That Aqua was still there to greet Shirou implies he's either replacing, or before, Kazuma. The other interesting unknown is WHO THE HECK WAS GODAFRID ON A DATE WITH?

I'm not sure Godafrid is equivalent to most cheat starts you could have in Konosuba, but he's probably more useful than the blue thing.

Blog Entries
    Okay, now that I finally understand... LOL!! XD I swear, I need to find the right emote for rolling on the floor laughing out loud.
    *Checks* Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to be an option on this board - or if it is, I don't know how to find it. Sorry.

Oh Eris that was hilarious.
    Thank you. I take it this is one I ought to continue with, then . . .?

. . . Or, now that I think about it, I could do Shiki or Akiha, instead - they're both implied to be fated to die young . . . Hm.

That Aqua was still there to greet Shirou implies he's either replacing, or before, Kazuma.
    My current thinking is "before" - either so that they can meet Kazuma later, or so that Aqua can be punished for sending a living human (Godafrid) and/or Eldritch Abomination (Godafrid, again, if registered as a Foreigner) to the other world.

The other interesting unknown is WHO THE HECK WAS GODAFRID ON A DATE WITH?
    Well, going by the hints . . . Someone he doesn't see too often, possibly French going by the nickname (or with an interest in English poetry, at least), and potentially tsundere or yandere; either that, or at least a girl with a temper, and the kind of romantic that gets very frustrated at interruptions - and presumably with enough power in one arena or another to make herself very threatening . . .

Drawing solely from the Nasuverse, Jeanne d'Arc Alter comes to mind (though how that would work is anybody's guess) - or any Alter Servant in general. Meltlilith, Kiyohime, Akiha or Kohaku would make sense, too - though again, how that would work . . . Caren, Reines, Ciel or Sacchin are a bit more of a stretch, but not unthinkable . . .

And going beyond the Nasuverse, she's a possibility, as are others (from Higurashi, for example, Rena or Shion - or Bernkastel, if I'm feeling really masochistic, for some reason). Or maybe even someone he has yet to meet, between Fate/Anarchy and this . . .?

I'm not sure Godafrid is equivalent to most cheat starts you could have in Konosuba, but he's probably more useful than the blue thing.
    In some ways more, in some ways less. After all, he doesn't have Aqua's raw power (it might be healing-focused and poorly-used, but she is a force to be reckoned with), but causes fewer problems. Similarly, he does know a great deal about the world and its inhabitants, but a lot of the situations are specific to Kazuma and party, and so not really applicable . . .

Plus there's the fact that, barring coming across an archpriest, this becomes a "one life only" adventure - and even if they got on Eris' good side, without Aqua to bully her into it, that would still be the case.
    Last edited by Kieran; November 9th, 2020 at 08:26 PM.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries
    Personally, I think this snippet could be a full story, unless you decide to add more works between that and the one you're working on now. I just wish you could find a single focus of your creative juices, really... well, for now.

Blog Entries
    Personally, I think this snippet could be a full story,
    That is part of why I post this stuff - spitballing ideas, as the saying goes, to see what works, and what interests people besides me.

I just wish you could find a single focus of your creative juices, really... well, for now.
    I don't disagree - I think my muse has developed ADHD since being exposed to the Internet . . .

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    So. I've got some more of the Saber Alter sidestory written up, though progress for the next main chapter is slow going.

I did write an omake to the last bit Kieran wrote, but it's so far past everything in Anarchy, I'm not sure posting it would even be entertaining without a bunch of extra side story written to explain it. (And considering the Omake already past 10 pages, for the bare bit I did? It's well into side story territory here...)

Blegh. Add in binge-reading one manga series, just for future reference to know how to cope with that setting in the future? It's been a lot of work for setup for that side story series.

Any interest in me writing more, so people understand who the characters are, and what the hell is going on? Or should I shelve it?
    I'm starting to suspect that talking with Kieran influences my rolls on Fate/Grand Order Heavily. How else can you explain me talking with him, then rolling for 30, only to get 3 Archer of Shinjuku on my second ten roll?

I write like Douglas Adams. Proof: http://iwl.me/s/696f37bd

Blog Entries
    I think you should continue it.

The omake is to Konosuba, or to stuff in Fate/Anarchy most recently? Konosuba certainly seems like a while forward in the timeline, but also looks like fun.
    I'm not averse to getting low-context omake, but adding new characters can be a bit dicey without some introduction.
    Overall I lack enough context on the proposed omake to comment on whether I'd like to see it continued, because I don't know anything about it.

Last time we were in the Saber Alter sidestory, we had decided rescue Saber and
    > Bring Ilya back

As I recall. That sounds like things are about to go sideways?

EDIT: Oh right, was intending to reply to Kieran as well
    Well, going by the hints
    Yes, the French and temper were fairly well-hinted. I will admit Just Monika was an option that had not come to mind, but I'd like to think I can tell when you're messing with me a bit :P

In some ways more, in some ways less. After all, he doesn't have Aqua's raw power (it might be healing-focused and poorly-used, but she is a force to be reckoned with), but causes fewer problems. Similarly, he does know a great deal about the world and its inhabitants, but a lot of the situations are specific to Kazuma and party, and so not really applicable . . .
    Aqua's uselessness is an incredible force to be reckoned with, yes. If there's anyone I expect to min-max the way the ability system works in Konosuba, it's Godafrid (and Kazuma)

Plus there's the fact that, barring coming across an archpriest, this becomes a "one life only" adventure - and even if they got on Eris' good side, without Aqua to bully her into it, that would still be the case.
    This does seem somewhat worrying for dramatic tension, though the bullying is only needed for multiple resurrections, I think? That gets you two lives, at least.
    Last edited by Arbitrarity; November 11th, 2020 at 01:44 AM.

Blog Entries
    The omake is to Konosuba, or to stuff in Fate/Anarchy most recently? Konosuba certainly seems like a while forward in the timeline, but also looks like fun.
    I'm not averse to getting low-context omake, but adding new characters can be a bit dicey without some introduction.
    Overall I lack enough context on the proposed omake to comment on whether I'd like to see it continued, because I don't know anything about it.
    What I've read of the KonoSuba-based omake adds a new character (and two more series) into the equation; it's a considerable jump forward. That's why I suggested he either wait, or rework it somewhat.

EDIT: Oh right, was intending to reply to Kieran as well
    Don't you hate it when that happens?

Yes, the French and temper were fairly well-hinted. I will admit Just Monika was an option that had not come to mind, but I'd like to think I can tell when you're messing with me a bit :P
    Poor Monika - she never gets any love . . .

In honesty, however, keep in mind that the nickname is as much his messing with her as it is meant to be literal. Taken as a factual description, it probably best applies to Jeanne Alter, Reines El-Melloi Archisorte (her name is French for "queen," after all), or Meltlilith (with the number of French terms in ballet, she strikes me as the type to use the language freely); but "a beautiful woman without mercy" describes so MANY females of the Nasuverse (never mind beyond that) . . .

After all, Manaka Sayjou would definitely qualify, as well - but so would Space Ishtar or Nightingale, from the right perspectives.

Aqua's uselessness is an incredible force to be reckoned with, yes. If there's anyone I expect to min-max the way the ability system works in Konosuba, it's Godafrid (and Kazuma)
    Oh, hell yes. If only the system weren't so loosely defined . . .

This does seem somewhat worrying for dramatic tension, though the bullying is only needed for multiple resurrections, I think? That gets you two lives, at least.
    *Shakes head* Nope. The rule is, having been reincarnated/resurrected once already, it can't be done again (which is odd, given that resurrection is in an archpriest's repertoire across most game systems, but there you go). Then again, I suppose that's only fair; as Shirou and Frid are more competent that Kazuma's party, upping the stakes by not letting them cheat the system that way makes for a nice narrative balance.

. . . Of course, depending on Frid's nature for this, it might only apply to Shirou; Foreigners tend to laugh off death, after all - and killing Sin-Eaters is almost impossible, at least in terms of making them stay dead.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    To make sense of the Omake to Kieran's own? You're going to need a side story leading up to that.

Have a prologue.

A Wolf(en) in Unknown Lands: Sidestory Arc 1 - Kantai Collection

Prologue:

Time: ??? After Fate/Anarchy

The Wolfen tumbles through space, a third of it missing, as Mordred desperately rushes to reach her master, and ensure he doesn’t suffocate in the middle of the jump between worlds, the massive Kaiju level threat they’d taken on having damaged it horribly before the cosmoreactor managed to make a portal that let them escape.

However, this is not their story.

Further away, a third of the Wolfen drifts through between universes, one nuclear reactor barely functioning as a few Legion of Coal units desperately work to keep it, and themselves functional.

It mostly works. If barely.

An unknown period of time goes by, as the ruined wreckage of the ship slowly moves between universes, before one slowly starts pulling the wreckage towards it.

With a massive thunk, it lands. Now. If that was the end of things, it would just be a mysterious pile of metal. I mean, the chunk of ship is trashed, right? Legion of Coal is barely still there, generator’s a nearly ruined piece of work that barely puts out power now.

But, nevertheless, the Wolfen was made by a God, not by mortal hands. And it’s legend is far too potent for it to fall here so easily. It has its own Kami, it has its own soul, and it knows exactly who made it, and loves her family very much.

And, as confused eyes open, PAB Wolfen starts looking around, rather confused to find herself on an iceberg somewhere on Earth. Long platinum blonde hair with pink highlights, and eyes that shine with a dark blue light slowly studies the world around her.

“Wha…? Oh. Right… that thing daddy fought against. Is he okay?” Quiet, whispered words, before she pulls herself up. She’s rather tall, she notes, with a rather busty chest.

“Hmm. Nuclear Reactor one, and both spares are online… I’m back to the specifics I was at when I was first built… barring this Radiant Wave Surger in my left arm... But why is it so hard to think?” For a long moment, she sits, just trying to reason it out.

“Oh. Uncle Scylla’s not here, huh? I’m gonna need to eat soon, too, I’m getting hungry. And with how weak I feel…” She rubs her chin, then looks up at her remains.

“Sorry, daddy’s creations! Gonna need to eat it all, and you as well, to ensure I’m strong enough to find daddy again!” Wolfen cheers, then starts munching away. Slowly, she can feel designs return to her as she eats, even as the few Legion of Coal units go to her to be eaten, willingly.

“Just keep our memories, so we can still serve father, as you eat us.” As she hears their words, she nods, and continues eating as if she’s been starved for months.

Her crew rebuilding themselves within her, even as she eats through the metal. Her Legion of Coal, slowly returning to being 500 strong, slowly working to help her. The mecha companies she carried. Things rapidly grow easier to think as she restores the Legion of Coal units within her to help her once more.

Most importantly? A tiny looking Mordred in her, wearing a bikini and acting as her captain. Not quite the problem solver that her Uncle Scylla would have given her, but still useful.

“How’d you get to be my Captain, anyways, Mordred?” Wolfen asks, curiously.

Like hell if I know! One moment, I was sitting in the throne of Heroes, looking over the memories I was getting back from the part of me with him, the next, I felt myself yanked here to work as… some sort of captain? I’m not a Servant, so I’m not about to give you all-powerful blasts from Clarent, but I can kinda influence things somewhat?” Captain Mordred shoots back, studying the captain’s hat on her head, as well as the signet ring she wears even in this identity.

“I dunno, either. At least you’re helping me think straight. Less then if Uncle Scylla was here to help, but he was kinda special that way. Hmm… maybe you’re here because of the signet ring, and I needed a captain?” Wolfen asks, more than a bit puzzled.

Or maybe it’s because I’ve stuck with Erik so long, I count as a crew member? Hell if I know… but finish off the metal fast, looks like we’ve got incoming.” Mordred finishes, settling herself in the chair Nestor always sat in. “I’m still good enough with riding to be able to help, and with the tricks Erik taught the version of me still with him, I’m sure I can pilot you.

“Roger that! Prototype Aerial Battleship Wolfen, moving to finish eating dinner!” Wolfen responds with a giggle.

30 Minutes Later...

Wolfen yawns, as she studies the last chunk of her hull left, before putting it into her hold for a possible snack later. “The last of the hull Daddy forged for me… I miss Mommy and Daddy. Uncle Scylla and Uncle Fenris, too.”

Faintly, she can hear Mordred reply from within her hull “Yeah, I miss them too. I get the feeling the other me is with them, though. And if anyone can keep them safe, it’s that Servant version of myself!

Wolfen smiles, then blinks at the sound of sonar nearby. “People… right. Almost forgot about that.”

“Kongou, we need to ensure we get those materials you mentioned seeing!” A girl shouts from the distance.

“Dess! I, Kongou, shall retrieve them to help everyone in America as they asked for!” The reply comes from another girl, far closer.

“Eh?” Wolfen quietly blinks.

“Hm? That’s odd, where’s the metal?” The tall brunette asks, with massive but older cannons aiming everywhere as she starts searching the iceberg. “Did it fall into the sea or something?”

“Oh, sorry!” Wolfen shouts, sheepishly. “I ate what remained of my hull after waking up here.”

“You what?!” The same girl screams in the distance. “We’re supposed to get them back to Admiral Richardson ASAP, and they’re in your hold?!”

“No. I had to eat what remained, to fix myself and be able to think straight. It’s hard to think with only a captain, you know?” Wolfen retorts, a little more harshly.

“It sounds like you were somewhat injured there. Can we help you out, perhaps?” Kongou asks, before smiling as she makes her way closer. “I’ll be able to introduce you to a British Tea Party later, if you’d like!”

“I might be able to, as long as I’m not punished for eating my hull’s remains… PAB Wolfen, test ship made for my Daddy’s inventions.” Wolfen replies.

“Test ship? What were you doing here, exactly, that resulted in you existing? As well, PAB?” Kongou asks, carefully. “Are you related to those Abyssals in any way?”

“All I can say is that father’s test reactor didn’t mix well with that… monstrous kaiju thing we were fighting, it ripped us between universes, and sheared off a third of my hull. I woke up here closer to the statistics I was originally built by father with, and the third of the ship down to a large amount less. And PAB is a reference to me being a Prototype.” Wolfen admits.

Internally, Wolfen thinks. “Mordred, can you hear me? Can you see if the Legion of Coal can crack their communications lines, let me hear what they’re up to? She seems nice, but I can’t tell about the other one, or other ones if there’s more.”

Yeah, 30 seconds ETA on that to start. Not sure when we'll break it, but it shouldn't take too long.” Mordred’s whisper returns to her.

“Dess! We’ll escort you to the American Naval Base in Everett, and see if… ooh, you’re pretty. Definitely not an Abyssal after all!” Kongou smiles, before her guns lower away from Wolfen pointedly.

Wolfen nods, getting up and stretching, only to find a rifle smack against the back of her right arm as she does so. Slowly, she pulls it out, glancing it over, before smiling at recognizing what it is. Her old Laser Cannon, as well as a now shortened Spinal Rail Gun. “Ah, Daddy’s test weapons on me are still around…”

For a moment, Kongou frowns, studying it. “I suppose it’s like one of those rifles some other shipgirls have… the Admiral’s not going to particularly like you being armed, though.”

“I’m not in my home universe, I can tell you that much. Unless you have multiple story tall Kaiju issues like Godzilla that I need to worry about? It’s a guaranteed right to bear arms in America, as well, and my Daddy was born in a version of there.” Wolfen shoots back, pointedly.

“I’m not sure if ‘American Built Ship from another universe’ counts, lady. But I suppose we can help. Though the Admiral’s ordering that once the Abyssal threat is over, you’re to destroy any spare weapons you have, or help build us equivalents.” The other shipgirl finally reaches view as she speaks up. “USS Missouri. Please, come willingly. Or don’t. We can just as easily take most of that metal from your cold dead hands, after all…”

For a moment, Wolfen stares at Missouri, even as Kongou facepalms quietly. “Are you seriously threatening the test bed ship of someone who would make a mad scientist have a heart attack, out of pure envy?

A long pause, as they both face each other down, before Missouri smiles. “It’s not like your little rifle there can do much, can it?”

At those words, Wolfen casually aims the rifle down, then fires. For a moment, the iceberg shakes, before the massive laser beam carves through the iceberg they’re on, like a hot knife through butter.

As their eyes clear, PAB Wolfen is nowhere to be seen, but she can still be heard, as she speaks up.

“Between my cloaking device, and my main cannon being a 30 foot wide laser that can cut through things more like a lightsaber, with a kilometer in range normally? I’d say you’re fucked if we fight, to be quite honest. Sorry, Kongou, but it looks like I won’t be going with you.” Wolfen replies, before her voice grows distant. “I’ll be looking into that abyssal stuff, though, personally!”

For one long moment, Kongou stares at the ruined iceberg, before she facepalms again. “This, Missouri. This is why I don’t do ‘favors’ for your new admiral anymore. Especially since he kicked out that nice brother of his that we all worked for last week!” Kongou admits, voice somewhat muffled through her fingers.

“We were dead, if she wanted us dead, weren’t we? I don’t think I could have countered damage on that level, at this range…” Missouri quietly murmurs under her breath. “Oh, fuck. We just nearly died, didn’t we?”

“Dess! And you’re the one that pissed her off! You get to explain to your Admiral about this, because when I’m back, I’m going for the good sake in the hopes that I don’t have to remember this in the morning!” Kongou shoots back.

1 Week Later

“Three days to hack into the satellites, another 2 to figure out how to get cable without being noticed or charged for it, and another 2 days to settle all the information about things.” Wolfen murmurs to herself, as she slowly floats along the waves. “All that, only to find that the only Abyssals that are out there that seem peaceful, might be in Alaska. And considering it’s only a rumor, we just can’t be sure it’s true.”

Considering the sheer amount of porn results we found, that made things harder to sort out? Ugh. Not to mention the sheer amount of damaged coastal equipment making things harder to figure out, too.” Mordred replies from Wolfen’s bridge, quietly.

A long pause, as they quietly move on the ocean, carefully ensuring nothing should be able to hear them. “There’s a lot of submarines defending this place. They look off, as well. Think they’re the Abyssals, Captain Mordred?”

Likely. Be careful, and be ready to fly off at any moment. We’re not sure what they might do if they spot… us… hang on. You see what I’m looking at?” Mordred replies.

“Considering the fact that you’re literally a part of me now?” Wolfen quietly replies, unable to keep the sarcasm out of her voice.

That’s a little girl they’re defending. In a small damaged tent, clutching a plane to herself as she sleeps… while those things around her breathe fire to keep her warm.” Mordred replies. “I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t seeing shit, that’s all!

“I get it. I’ll look into it, and be careful, okay?” Wolfen half mutters, as she moves forwards, carefully.

For a long while, she slowly sneaks up, only to stare at the little girl in confusion. White hair, a white dress with mittens on, no shoes to keep her feet warm, much less socks to keep her legs warm. Shivering silently in the cold, while others sleep near her, all with thread worn blankets on them.

For a long pause, Wolfen just watches, before closing her eyes. “Mordred. I’m going to do something stupid, but we know it’s the right thing to do. Daddy would say it’s the right thing to do.”

Yeah. Just get a picture when they wake up. I’ll get the Legion of Coal to start cooking, as we speak…” Mordred trails off.

3 Hours Later

The Northern Ocean Princess yawns, as she slowly wakes up. Eyes flick around, as her boilers go from the low thrum they were at, to conserve fuel, to a much higher level, before she frowns.

“Why am I warm?” She asks herself, aloud, confused. Moments later, she pauses and blinks, looking around, to spot warm blankets. Not just on her, but on all her children she had made, as well. Then her eyes continue to turn, noticing a few important things. There was a huge pile of tarps, one somehow set up over them overnight.

There were quite a few mattresses left out for them to all use. And there were some tables, with freshly cooked fish, still hot, that her children were staring at.

“Mother! It’s all hot somehow!” One calls out, her voice distorted somewhat by the metal hull that is somewhat warped compared to their shipgirl cousins, forming odd armored growths in different ways for all of them. Due to her young age, however, she can’t be identified as a class of ship yet.

“I see… are there any messages? Did the others leave this for us, from their tithes from those villages we’ve taken control of?”

“Just a note saying that it was a shame to see children cold in this sort of weather, and they wanted to help.” The same one who spoke up before replies, rubbing the back of her head sheepishly. “Would you like me to taste test it?”

Slowly, the Northern Ocean Princess shakes her head. “I’ll give it a try.”

“Yours has something extra, Mother! Thus me asking…” The unidentified ship smiles, before hugging her mother’s leg gently.

Smiling faintly, the Northern Ocean Princess hugs her child gently, before moving to the food, to look at it. “New tableware, and this is… chocolate? I’ve heard of that occasionally before from the others…” She trails off, humming, before unwrapping the package, and taking a tiny nibble.

A large smile covers her face, before she starts breaking off chunks for everyone, giving everyone equal shares. “It’s tasty! Everyone gets some!”

Cheers erupt from the young Abyssals, before they all dig into the new food, bellies growing warm from tasty food for a change.

In the end, all they could find was a note telling them that they got it, since the one who delivered it couldn’t bear to see such little children cold.

The Next Day

Northern Ocean Princess once more snaps awake, staring at more food, and a note asking if she’d enjoyed the tasty food yesterday. Frowning, she pouts. “I wish I had a pen, so I could reply to whoever is doing this. Did any of you kids hear or see anything?”

“Ooh! I can tell that, mother!” One excitedly raises her hand, waving it. I was looking in the direction the food was at yesterday, then heard a loud sound like a splash! So I raced over, and checked, but couldn’t see anything except a new rock in the water. When I got back, this new food was here!”

Northern Ocean Princess, for one long moment, frowns and nods. “So they don’t want us seeing who they are, but are helping? Hmm...”

Up above, hidden in the air above them, Wolfen quietly facepalms at the realization that she forgot to leave a pen.

Another Day Passes

The Northern Ocean Princess stares quietly at the pen with the pieces of paper, and the note apologizing for forgetting to leave her some form of reply. Then she looks at the food. Then the chocolate bar, with a smaller note that there hasn’t been much chocolate to get to them yet.

A small smile slowly covers her face. “They’re kind, and haven’t poisoned us with this. No lookouts tonight, okay?”

A chorus of “Yes, mommy!” returns to her as her slowly growing children play in the water. As they do so, she smiles as she slowly writes a message of thanks, carefully to the one helping them.

One Day More, Immediately before Dawn

Wolfen smiles, as she slowly creeps around, putting down tasty warm plates of food for the little ones she’s been observing. No sound comes from her, as she carefully puts down plates of food for them all.

After that, she sits, opening the letter to her, slowly looking at it in the darkness.

A frown, before spotlights flicker on behind her eyes, illuminating the letter carefully.

“To our mysterious benefactor. I, Northern Ocean Princess thank you for your help and aid.” is all she gets into the letter, however, before she feels a small figure hug her from behind.

“Found you!” A tired voice whispers into her ear. “Reading my letter?”

Slowly, Wolfen turns to meet the eyes of a smiling, orange-red eyed, white haired child. Then they blink at each other, as the Northern Ocean Princess smiles more. “Oh, you’re a shipgirl. Thus you’re not supposed to meet us, and help?”

“More worried you were going to shoot at me.” Wolfen admits.

“Mmm. Supposed to shoot at you, according to the others. Don’t think I will. Too nice to hurt. First time our bellies have been full in days. Go to the tent and sleep with me. I’m tired.” Northern Ocean Princess retorts with a faint smile, and a big yawn.

“Northern Ocean Princess, hmm? I think I’m going to call you Hoppou, since it’s Japanese for Northern!” Wolfen retorts, while picking up her new friend and carrying her to the tent to sleep.

Soon enough, they’re both asleep.

Japan, approximately the same time…

“TEI-TOU-KU!” Kongou shouts, as she slams the door open before her, before rushing to glomp her admiral. “BURNING LOVE!”

“Kongou.” The Admiral, Suzaku Kouzuki mutters, struggling to keep his head out of the Marshmallow Hell he’s found himself in. “Please do get off, so I can breathe.”

“BURNING LOVE!” Kongou shouts, grinning.

“AIR!” The Admiral retorts.

“Fine, fine. I’ll give my report on that shipgirl, as ordered. You owe me good sake for this, though. And keep me from that Army Admiral Richardson, who’s still posing as a Navy Admiral over in America, too. Once he kicked his brother off the base for marrying USS Arizona, things have gone to hell over there. He’s gone mad with power, even, Teitoku!” Kongou retorts.

“I get it. Just give me the report.” Admiral Kouzuki retorts.

“Yes sir! As ordered, we went to the crash sight to investigate rare materials, thinking that it was some sort of crashed ship the Abyssals had pulled out of the water that I was spotting. Instead, we found a young shipgirl, calling herself PAB Wolfen. I thought it meant Prototype Abyssal, so I asked Missouri to cover me while I went in close.” Kongou admits, before continuing.

“She looked normal, with a long rifle on her back, covered with lots of wires and such. She was super happy about it still existing, as well. Said it was one of her father’s prototype weapons. After that, I sought out diplomacy with her, only for Missouri to bring up that she should be disarmed once help for the United States ends.” Kongou admits, before rubbing her forehead.

“Thus having her, as you called it, cut into the iceberg you all were on, before disappearing.” Admiral Kouzuki sighs softly. “Any observations, Kongou?”

“She said her laser rifle had a laser beam 30 feet in width, and a kilometer in length. I looked up lasers afterwards, and that likely means the focusing point is a kilometer in length before it’s light disperses too much in the atmosphere to be usable past that point. I saw no other rigging, and only observed the Cloaking Device she admitted to having, when in use. However…” Kongou trails off, thinking, before nodding. “The Laser erupted from an underslung part of the rifle, much like a grenade launcher. I suspect the main barrel is for some sort of projectile weapon. Additionally, the laser carved through most of the iceberg underwater, resulting in huge chunks of it falling apart during the incident.”

“In other words, her laser can attack underwater enemies just as easily…” The Admiral mutters under his breath, before he sighs. “Keep on the lookout for her. If we can get her on our side, the Abyssals will never see the blow coming at them. Ensuring she can keep her weapons is worth any issues on that front. I’m not sure what that stupid fool is thinking, but it’ll help us out.”

“Yes, Teitoku!” Kongou grins. “Now, let’s take a break for a Tea Party, hmm?”

“Just keep in mind that unlike Arizona forcing the wedding to happen with her rigging, I don’t want to knock you up and leave you off the front lines, Kongou, if our relationship progresses that far.” Admiral Suzaku Kouzuki sighs. “At least having a tea party with you keeps me from dealing with this damned paperwork…

“Just ask for my help, Dess!” Kongou grins, before rushing off. “I’ll be back with Tea soon, Teitoku!”

Author’s Notes:

I’ve seen some crazy shit in the past, and heard of horror stories involving high up military leaders that might actually pull this sort of thing. Maybe not ADMIRALS per say, but it’s still a possibility that after an international incident of “Abyssals just attacked every ship in the sea”, we’d see some admirals being more than willing to ensure “America” is the dominant superpower.

Realistically, as well, losing the ability to resupply at the United States, except secretly would hurt Wolfen bad here. So no deal, and no worries about the navy cutting her up in her sleep.

I'm also 3 pages both into the Saber Alter side story, 2 and a half into the next chapter (because of how much stuff is getting damaged, destroyed, etc. with this next fight, as well as working how defenders and offense would work out...) and about 2 more chapters of this to begin with, if people like this side story enough to want to read more, on top of the omake to the "Shirou and Godafrid in Konasuba" one that I'm rewriting right now. I need to find better clips of Aqua, and rewrite accordingly...

Writer's block sucks when it happens, you know?
    Last edited by RanmaBushiko; November 16th, 2020 at 04:16 AM.
    I'm starting to suspect that talking with Kieran influences my rolls on Fate/Grand Order Heavily. How else can you explain me talking with him, then rolling for 30, only to get 3 Archer of Shinjuku on my second ten roll?

I write like Douglas Adams. Proof: http://iwl.me/s/696f37bd

Blog Entries

A Thousand Curses Upon this Wonderful World! (KonoSuba X-over Idea, Part 2)

Continuing . . .

Start
    *Continue*
    Quit

Axel, Town of Beginnings
    Kingdom of Belzerg
    Date unknown

While he was mostly still angry about the current situation, part of Frid was amused at being selected as Shirou’s “cheat item”; another part was bemused that the request had gone through. Maybe he shouldn’t have been, as they’d been willing to let Kazuma have an actual goddess (though given the speed at which Aqua had been booted out, he suspected office politics had to be involved) . . .

Another part of him was a bit more concerned about how Shirou had ended up this way, and he chose to ask, “So, exactly why did you meet Aqua—did you try to rescue a cat from a tree and fall on your head . . .?

“She said I died of exhaustion,” Shirou said, in a tone that implied he was as surprised by that answer as Frid was.

Dryly, the other said, “And I’m going to guess you didn’t get exhausted the fun way . . .”

‘The fun way . . .?’” Shirou repeated, puzzled—before recoiling as realisation struck. “NO! OF COURSE NOT!”

Frid laughed, and Shirou shot him an annoyed glare.

“You really are a dirty old man, aren’t you?” he accused.

“Yes, but with the body—and hormones—of a . . .” Frid stopped suddenly, glanced down at himself, and froze—before ending his sentence with so much venom in the word, everyone in earshot should’ve dropped dead. “. . . Teenager.

He closed his eyes, took a deep breath, and yelled at the sky, “DAMN IT, AQUA!”

“What?” Shirou demanded, looking him over frantically.

You got the guarantee of being reincarnated ‘as-is’—I didn’t,” Frid said sourly. “And the protagonists of this particular series are anywhere from 13 to 18; I’m willing to bet I’m back into that range again—stupid Aqua, yanking me without warning or a paradigm shield . . .”

“You don’t look any different,” Shirou observed.

“Because I was one of those people that got mistaken for being in their twenties when I was fifteen, and got carded trying to buy booze when I was thirty,” Frid growled. “Damn it, I did not need memories of going through puberty a fourth time . . .!”

As a childish giggle filled his ears, he turned his head slightly to glare at its source. “It’s not funny!

The small, dark form in the corner of his eye was wrapped in red from head to toe, clinging to his wrist with all the enthusiasm of a young child holding hands with their parent or elder sibling. In a perfect world, the arm would be tugged at eagerly, urging him to go somewhere, or see something, as the other hand not clutching at him pointed at some distant goal . . . But in this world—and in any other—that hand couldn’t raise itself to point, the shadows that hid that tiny body were deeper and darker than any mere absence of light could account for, and the red that cloaked it wasn’t a shroud woven of fabric, but dripping blood . . .

And because of that, Frid moderated his tone immediately as he apologised. “Sorry. I’m not really mad—and never at you—but this situation is . . .

Aggravating,” he finished after a moment’s thought.

And both of them knew that—in many ways, they were a gestalt entity—but he thought it was important that it not only be thought, or felt, but heard.

In response, Little Red Riding Hood gazed at him in ominous silence.

Without warning, phantom fingers suddenly tightened possessively on his wrist. The darkness that composed her writhed; with visible effort, it receded from her form until the geist looked, briefly, as human as she ever did—or could—with a small, shy smile visible on her lips . . . Then the fabric of her cloak dripped anew with blood, and the shadows swallowed her up again.

“Are you and Aka-chan OK?” Shirou asked, concerned. He couldn’t see her, of course, any more than he could see an astralised Servant; but he was well aware of her existence, just the same.

“Just sibling squabbles,” Frid assured him—then realised that Shirou’s references for that sort of thing were probably Sakura and Rin, Sakura and Shinji, or Shiki and Akiha . . .

“On second thought, forget I said that,” the Bound added hastily. “We’re actually much better off than that.

Another giggle escaped Little Red Riding Hood, this time closer to his ear; were she manifested, she’d be clinging to his neck.

“If you’re sure . . .” Shirou said dubiously.

“Oh, yeah,” Frid reassured him. “She’s just feeling playful, by way of having fun at my expense. Honestly, she’s been in a great mood since you had us clear out that pizzeria—”

Bad bunny . . .” she hissed viciously in his ear, though there was a dark satisfaction to the words.

Frid nodded slightly, basking in the warm glow evoked by the memory of garbled electronic noise overlaying very human screams of agony . . .

“I always come back,” my ass . . .

“But enough pleasant reminiscing,” he decided aloud. “We’re here, so we may as well get started on what’s liable to be a very long quest . . . So first, we’ll need local currency, and to register as professional adventurers—fortunately, the Guild performs a lot of banking functions, as I recall, so we can do both in the same place.”

“They’ll take Japanese yen?” Shirou asked, surprised.

“Oh, not on your life,” Frid retorted, as he reached into the Twilight between life and death to withdraw a pouch. “Uncut semi-precious stones, on the other hand, are a fairly multiversal currency—so with luck, all we really need are directions.”

‘Directions?’” Shirou repeated.

“Yeah,” Frid said, scowling. “Because I got through twelve of the main series’ seventeen light novels, and two of the three Megumin spin-off books—but not one of them bothered to include a map of this place . . .”

This time, he did his best to ignore Red’s giggles . . .

And he pretended that he was (mostly) successful.

Shirou found the Adventurer’s Guild professional, even if it seemed to be laid out more like a restaurant than the police station he’d have expected. Although he supposed that adventurers needed something to do with downtime, and having them in one easily-approached space had advantages.

(Idly, he wondered if they needed a part-time chef, waiter, busboy, or at worst, janitor—after all, he’d need something to do with his downtime, too . . .)

Neither Frid-kun nor Aka-chan seemed unhappy with whatever exchange rate they offered, it seemed (at least, there were no “uneasy feelings” like Shirou attributed to when the other boy’s partner was agitated by something), so they had funds. More immediately important, they had sufficient funds to register with the guild—which led to the gaining of their “Adventurer Cards,” and an explanation of how they worked.

(The redhead was curious as to what the cards did with pre-existing skills—did he need to purchase the “Cooking” ability, for example, in order to be able to actually make food, somehow . . .?)

He watched, bemused, as the fantasy equivalent of a laser printer etched information onto the card, which the receptionist (“Miss Luna,” Frid-kun had called her—so, “Luna-san?”) then read and interpreted for him.

“Hmm,” she hummed. “You have only average Strength and Intelligence, I’m afraid, but you’re above average in Vitality and Magic—and remarkably high in both Dexterity and Luck.” Giving him a serious look and a professional smile, she concluded, “Based on these, I’d recommend either the Archer or the Thief class—though if you decide not to become an adventurer, after all, it looks like you’d do quite well as a Smith with these stats.”

Shirou fought to keep his expression neutral as he contained a melancholy sigh. Even here, it seemed, he was being—what was the English term, again . . .? Ah, yes—typecast.

“No magical classes for me, I take it . . .?” he sighed.

“Your potential to shine in other areas is much better,” she told him frankly.

Shirou had to admire her technique—as far as saying “No” went, that had to be one of the most professional and polite phrasings of it he’d ever heard.

“With your Intelligence at the score that it is,” she clarified, “you’d really only qualify for proficiency in Basic Magic. Depending on your growth rate, you might manage Intermediate Magic, eventually—but all told, you’d be wasting yourself in a magic-casting class. Similarly, you’ve got the Vitality and the Magic stats to do reasonably well as a Warrior, but your overall Strength would prohibit you from dealing much damage—or even carrying some of the heavier weapons and armour—as anything that specialised in melee combat.

“Though if you were willing to settle for being a less-frontline combat class like Swashbuckler,” she mused aloud, “that might be different—they specialise in the sort of light, one-handed weaponry used for duelling, rather than all-out melee . . .” Shaking her head slightly, Luna continued, “In any case, Archers rely on their Dexterity for damage, and their Luck for accuracy; given your scores in those areas, you could become quite formidable very quickly—if you insist on a combat-specialised class, anyways. ‘Thief,’ obviously, is not, but you show potential for great success in it for much the same reasons as an Archer.”

“Archer it is, then,” Shirou sighed, not seeing how a thief could save anyone.

(A certain goddess suddenly felt insulted, for no reason she could easily account for.)

“You have no idea how lucky you just got,” Frid murmured to him, smirking.

Shirou stared back in return, puzzled. “Huh?”

“Swashbucklers,” the other explained, “as a rule, are dashing, skillful, charismatic, chivalrous . . . In other words, a very romantic type of adventurer, of the sort women are very enamoured of.”

Shirou could generally follow English, even if he didn’t quite understand it all. It was why he typically relied on magic like Ilya’s Grail abilities to translate the nuances and ‘cultural idioms,’ as Taiga-sensei (and in English class, Fuji-nee was always Taiga-sensei, period!) called them. As neither of them had come here via Ilya’s methods, however, that particular crutch was no longer available.

“And what’s that mean in plain Japanese . . .?”

“Heroic harem protagonist material,” Frid said flatly.

“Ah,” Shirou nodded in understanding, and emphatic agreement. “Good point. The last thing I need is be mistaken for one of those while I’m trying to be a Hero of Justice.”

It shouldn’t have been possible, but in that moment, Shirou would swear that he could actually hear the ghostly little girl that accompanied the older man—and she was giggling hysterically, for some reason . . .

Writer's Notes: Obviously, for the purposes of this particular snippet, Frid would be a Sin-Eater; if he stays a Lunar, obviously, certain elements would be different . . .
    Last edited by Kieran; November 16th, 2020 at 09:53 AM.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Darn it, I was going to reply to RB, and I took so long now I have to respond double. In order, then.

I have... VERY little exposure to Kantai Collection. My understanding is roughly at the level of "gacha game with anthropomorphic shipgirls", and the Abyssal ships are... some mysterious monster group. So I don't really recognize any characters here to a useful degree. Given that minimal context, I can tell that Wolfen is doing nice things for the Abyssals (for reasons based on information she has derived from the local TV/Internet that I would probably have to research the setting to understand), and seems to have gotten off on a antagonistic footing with the nominal protagonist of the setting, the Admiral. Though it looks like there are multiple Admirals in different countries, and may be working at cross-purposes. I don't really understand what these actions mean in the context of the setting, though. I'm having trouble making any predictions about what Wolfen will do though, since she's effectively a new character. Thus far I have "cautious, extremely proud of her father and origins, also has that prideful/boasting thing that Erik does, kind of... lacking in guile, generous to the oppressed"

I can see why you'd need to prefix an omake that intermixes all these settings with some explanation. And I heard TWO more series, hoo boy.

For a moment, Wolfen stares at Missouri, even as Kongou facepalms quietly. “Are you seriously threatening the test bed ship of someone who would make a mad scientist have a heart attack, out of pure envy?
    This dialogue right here is CONFUSING. The first two times I read it, based on where Kongou's facepalm is, I assumed she was the speaker, and was confused. Based on the sentence content, it's obvious who the speaker is, but the sentence structure does not do it any favours.

Just so you know, Kieran, those links don't QUITE work. I think they'll work if you drop the get param, and maybe some of the extra path info after the filename, like this and this.
    Huh, Red Riding Hood matches what a Geist might be. Very interesting. I have no idea what she can do, and I have little idea of her personality, but this is an interesting portrayal. Typically I thought Geists didn't really have a separate existence, but it definitely makes it much more interesting to explicitly personify them. I don't... think that explains the date, though. "When she finds us" does not fit in the slightest. Aka-chan is an interesting nickname... oh, that's a very literal "little red". Nice.

That's a FNaF reference, right. And the Archer class continues to be made up of Archers. Typecast is definitely an amusing term to choose, given the Nasuverse. I think Godafrid's class-picking might be much more... interesting, but I can see why you'd want to probably think about it more. Also, Shirou is the hero of this story, so it does make sense to focus on him a bit.
    I am now remembering the High Jump. Gosh darn it.