Thread: Pokemon Legends Arceus

Pokemon Legends Arceus

Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrapnel View Post
    Bob the Builder's evil twin.
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperial View Post
    HF felt like Nasu holding up a megaphone and screaming, "LOOK AT HOW SAD THIS IS! ISN'T IT SAD? YOU SHOULD FEEL SAD!"

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Altaris View Post
    > Einzbern

> Making smart decisions

Pick one

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    Palingenesis just sounds like we're creating Sarah Palin.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftovers View Post
    >tfw you betray your ideals to get some

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizukume View Post
    In short, Japan's syncretism BS striked again.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by castor212 View Post
    Curse
    Blessing
    of the Boobs

US Friend Code
    I am extremely excited for this. Even if it doesn't end up being great, Game Freak doing something different with the series is so nice to see and hopefully this sets a foundation for further development on the idea in the future. "Pokemon Legends: Victini" set in medieval Unova for example.

I wonder where the town in the video is, like if it evolved into one of Sinnoh's cities in DP. Hearthome? Jubilife?

From a magazine that leaked a couple hours before the direct:

Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl, þonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    If true (there's more details in the in tweet thread), then I'm very interested in how battles will work going forward. :O

Also, Blue Rhydon what? Ancient variant or something?

- - - Updated - - -

Damn, sniped like hell.
    "Here's a bangin lil' tune about takin' on The Man!"

(Check out my Super Special Awesome Servant Compendium here)

Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    This feels a lot like Xenoblade and Breath of the Wild, though I am disappointed we didn't get a more medieval-style plotline with a more samurai aesthetic and a sort of Sengoku Jidai. Maybe that's just my love of Pokemon Conquest talking...I am a tad disappointed we're still filling the Pokedex.

Actually, it would have been so cool if we were playing as the Aura Guardian who sealed away Spiritomb in the Odd Keystone.

Finally, the plot almost feels colonial in nature, since it's about frontiersmen exploring this vast, uninhabited region they just got too, kind of like how ethnic Japanese settled Hokkaido, Sakhalin, and Kunashir, which Sinnoh was based on. With that in mind, it almost feels like a whitewashing of colonial history and the existence of the Ainu in those places IRL. I dunno, I'm probably reading way too far into this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

US Friend Code

Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl, þonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    As for my actual thoughts on the game, I am cautiously excited now that I've calmed down. I'll take the sacrifice of the Gen 4 remakes if GameFreak are actually passionate about going in this new direction for PKMN games. The concept of the ancient Poke-world is intriguing and hopefully has actual depth to it and not just a flimsy backdrop. The use of ATB battle system is an interesting change and the danger of the Trainer taking attacks livens things up a fair bit.

Overall, I just hope there's actually stuff to do beyond just wandering around and catching PKMN again to fill up another Dex.
    "Here's a bangin lil' tune about takin' on The Man!"

(Check out my Super Special Awesome Servant Compendium here)

JP Friend Code
    nonexistant
    This looks promising and it might take the series forward in an interesting and important way. The stagnation after Gen 5 has gotten to a point of saturation. Things have to change. I'm not the biggest fan of ATB, mostly cuz I'm bad at it, but in a Pokémon game it can be simple enough to get used to. Finally we're getting an actual Open World, and it looks like the formula will be shaken up more. Gen 7 was slightly different, but not enough IMO. This looks like it might be the breath of fresh air the series needs. Ironic since it is still relying on known variables from Gen 4 like Sinnoh and Arceus but even that feels fresh compared to the increasingly insufferable Kanto pandering that has been going on since Gen 6.
    Here's to this game's success and may it shake up the formula to give this franchise the bright future it sorely needs.
    burn your dread you coward

You know how Demon Slayer is set in the Taisho era, so basically about 100 years bp? I think this game was set around 100 years before the main series, since Poké Balls were invented around that time. Also, since this village is described as a hub for migrants from all over, I feel it's the precursor to Hearthome.

Also, this raises my hopes for a Conquest remake or even a game set in a Sengoku era Johto, like around the time the Burned Tower burned to the ground.
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

Also, it's super misinformed to believe that Pokemon stagnated after Gen V.

Horseman War of Apocalypse Wandering Swordwoman's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    -
    Blog Entries
    it is, because they just keed adding gimmicks that gonna be removed on the next gen or 2 gen after that instead of making new gimmicks and make it better on the future
    Spoiler:

Wandering on internet

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering Swordwoman View Post
    it is, because they just keed adding gimmicks that gonna be removed on the next gen or 2 gen after that instead of making new gimmicks and make it better on the future
    No, it's because there are more subtle, lasting changes to the mechanics made each generation that make the experience quite different. I suppose it's not easy to notice as a casual player.

So what's a ATB system?
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrapnel View Post
    Bob the Builder's evil twin.
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperial View Post
    HF felt like Nasu holding up a megaphone and screaming, "LOOK AT HOW SAD THIS IS! ISN'T IT SAD? YOU SHOULD FEEL SAD!"

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Altaris View Post
    > Einzbern

> Making smart decisions

Pick one

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    Palingenesis just sounds like we're creating Sarah Palin.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftovers View Post
    >tfw you betray your ideals to get some

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizukume View Post
    In short, Japan's syncretism BS striked again.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by castor212 View Post
    Curse
    Blessing
    of the Boobs

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SirGauoftheSquareTable View Post
    No, it's because there are more subtle, lasting changes to the mechanics made each generation that make the experience quite different. I suppose it's not easy to notice as a casual player.
    Such as? I can't think of anything major that has been added and kept.

Quality of life stuff doesn't count.

Quote Originally Posted by pinetree View Post
    Such as? I can't think of anything major that has been added and kept.

Quality of life stuff doesn't count.
    Let's see. Hidden Abilities from Gen V were absolutely kept from then on, and that definitely changed the viability of many species of Pokemon. Explosion got nerfed hard in Gen V, since it no longer automatically cut Defense in half. Wish mechanics were changed so that it healed 50% of the target's HP as opposed to 50% of the user's HP, which made Blissey wishes much less viable. Hidden Power got nerfed from a max 70 to a flat 60 BP, and then was removed entirely in Gen 8. Defog was buffed in Gen VI to remove all hazards on the field, and that's stayed. From Gen VI onwards, both parents can pass on Egg moves. Dark Void had it's accuracy nerfed hard post-Gen VI and it became unsketchable, a change that remains to this day. We also got Terrains in Gen VI, which were expanded upon in Gen VII and are now as important a part of the metagame as weather. Speaking of weather, all weather that's not Primodial Sea or Desolate Land got nerfed and only lasts only 8 turns. This includes abilities Sandstorm, Snow Warning, Drizzle, and Drought. Also, they radically changed how turn order is affected by Speed-altering moves such as Tailwind in Gen VIII, with changes to turn order being calculated and implemented the same turn now.

There are more I could list, but I feel my thoughts are getting a bit disorganized.

US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Laserman View Post
    So what's a ATB system?
    A bar fills up to determine when you can attack, and speed stat determines how quickly the bar fills. So you could potentially attack several times before the enemy's bar fills up, or they could several times before your bar does. Older Final Fantasy games used it a lot.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    The competitive scene has certainly changed a lot, but that's not really what I'm talking about. Competitive is fun but Gamefreak isn't selling a battle simulator, it's still a single player game. SM tried to do actual new things and I liked it, but they were promptly dropped anyway.
    I guess it's wrong to say it stagnated because it has actually gotten worse.

Even in competitive, I think you're overestimating how impactful a lot of those changes were, but I'm not going to get into that because it's been quite a while since I've played seriously.

I do admit hidden abilities, weather and terrains are big though, you're right about that.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Hidden Power being cut is the absolute worst.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

Nope, that was the absolute best. Or at least, it was a good thing, especially with Dynamax in the mix.

Also, I will admit that Sun and Moon did the most to actually change up the formula of a main-series Pokemon game, and I do like it for that.

In addition, the Turn order calc changes introduced in Gen 8 matter quite a lot, truth be told.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, I forgot to mention that several abilities, specifically Inner Focus, Oblivious, Own Tempo, and Scrappy, were modified to block Intimidate.

I'll keep up with the news about Legends but man that reveal trailer was rough.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors weeblord's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SirGauoftheSquareTable View Post
    Let's see. Hidden Abilities from Gen V were absolutely kept from then on, and that definitely changed the viability of many species of Pokemon. Explosion got nerfed hard in Gen V, since it no longer automatically cut Defense in half. Wish mechanics were changed so that it healed 50% of the target's HP as opposed to 50% of the user's HP, which made Blissey wishes much less viable. Hidden Power got nerfed from a max 70 to a flat 60 BP, and then was removed entirely in Gen 8. Defog was buffed in Gen VI to remove all hazards on the field, and that's stayed. From Gen VI onwards, both parents can pass on Egg moves. Dark Void had it's accuracy nerfed hard post-Gen VI and it became unsketchable, a change that remains to this day. We also got Terrains in Gen VI, which were expanded upon in Gen VII and are now as important a part of the metagame as weather. Speaking of weather, all weather that's not Primodial Sea or Desolate Land got nerfed and only lasts only 8 turns. This includes abilities Sandstorm, Snow Warning, Drizzle, and Drought. Also, they radically changed how turn order is affected by Speed-altering moves such as Tailwind in Gen VIII, with changes to turn order being calculated and implemented the same turn now.

There are more I could list, but I feel my thoughts are getting a bit disorganized.
    Thats just tweaking mechanics a little and mainly affects competitive metagame. Compare that to the special stat split in gen 2, introduction of abilities in gen 3 and physical/special split in gen 4 which completely changed the game fundamentals, its not really that significant. But honestly I dont think pokemon combat needs much improvement anyway, its already good. What I want them to innovate is the game around the combat. When i pay full price for a pokemon game i would preferably like a good game, not a glorified patch with battle mechanics tweaks.