Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4567811 ... LastLast

Thread: Fall Anime 2021 Edition - It's that time again.

Harbringer of Beguiling Light bassgs435's Avatar
    Exactly
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

DINO GETTER,FUCK YESS
    Spoiler:

Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl, þonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    So, I finally got around to watching the first two episodes of Lupin III Part 6.

Episode 0 was just a very on-the-nose meta farewell to Jigen's old VA with the whole "you're not outdated Jigen, you're a classic!" line to boot. Not a whole lot to say about it otherwise.

Episode 1 of the series proper gives a better look at the season as it's more in vein with the last two Parts as it's a standalone myth arc that sets up a mystery to unravel across the season, though this time we do at least have some returning supporting characters from last season with Albert and Yata. London certainly looks a lot better in anime than it does in real life lol. It is a little weird that we've got Lupin III versus the original Sherlock Holmes but real talk, what is with Japanese media and killing of Watson?

Anyways, very intrigued to see where this goes.
    "Here's a bangin lil' tune about takin' on The Man!"

(Check out my Super Special Awesome Servant Compendium here)

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Takt: So if Destiny was born from the music that Takt and Cosette played, that means she's their kid, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skull View Post
    It is a little weird that we've got Lupin III versus the original Sherlock Holmes but real talk, what is with Japanese media and killing of Watson?
    Season 4 culminated in Lupin battling Leonardo Da Vinci's mind ghost who wanted to put mind ghosts in everyone in Italy. Actual Holmes seems pretty tame comparatively.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bassgs435 View Post
    Interesting that this seems to shares the same "show becomes less interesting when the MC's main opposition leaves the stage" that Death Note also had. Seems the creators didn't manage to solve that issue
    Existence is ambivalence. You define what you are by what you are not. When you lose what you are not, what are you?
    Call me 想φαγω.
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooncake View Post
    I get this vague feeling from your posts that you're looking down on people who don't share your view, which is what it is, but at least take a moment to snort some common sense between those hits of pretension.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
    My opinion is better than your opinion, so it isn't up for debate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun
    Telling us that you're rich is not going to make anyone stop laughing at you for believing in self-insert NTR.
    Quote Originally Posted by ResidentSeagull View Post
    You seriously underestimate the human potential for wanting to fuck stuff, my dude.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan
    Welcome to BL, new user. Don't forget to fate/stay mad

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
    Season 4 culminated in Lupin battling Leonardo Da Vinci's mind ghost who wanted to put mind ghosts in everyone in Italy. Actual Holmes seems pretty tame comparatively.
    I'm aware, but what I meant was this is Lupin the IIIrd, the descendant of Arsène Lupin who famously fought against Sherlock Holmes in the Belle Époque era so now to have the original Holmes yanked forward to the modern day complete with Lestrade/Watson/Hudson in toe without some justification like Da Vinci had feels all very weird to me as when I saw the trailer I had just assumed it was a descendant of Holmes like Lupin is.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors weeblord's Avatar
    "So, what, you want the heroine who didnt get pursued to still love only the protagonist and stay single her whole life?"

Damn, kaginado calling out anime fans ruthlessly.

other side of Red Garden AmADo VII's Avatar
    Ryou actually had boyfriend other than Okazaki(MC).

the MLA anime is just getting more incomprehensible every ep, and still boring.

Quote Originally Posted by weeblord View Post
    "So, what, you want the heroine who didnt get pursued to still love only the protagonist and stay single her whole life?"

Damn, kaginado calling out anime fans ruthlessly.
    This need for heroines to remain devoted to MC even when he picks another girl and how it means the girls not chosen will spend their lives alone is a plot point in Totono.
    Nice to see others bringing light to the implications of wanting girls who still love only the MC even after they're not his chosen romantic partner

- - - Updated - - -

So, in other words, I dodged a bullet when I ultimately decided this was gonna be worthless and that I should read the VNs to get into Takeru's story. My foresight based on other adaptations of VNs I read beforehand served me well
    Last edited by bassgs435; October 20th, 2021 at 03:47 PM. Reason: m
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

DINO GETTER,FUCK YESS
    Spoiler:

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I know you love the source, but the last two attempts showed that they have no idea how to do it well. Hell, the only reasons I watched Total Eclipse until the end was because it didn't offend me enough to drop it, and the OP was a fucking bop.

JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    If only it had little sisters like Schwarzesmarken.
    canon finish apo vol 3

Quote Originally Posted by bassgs435 View Post
    So, in other words, I dodged a bullet when I ultimately decided this was gonna be worthless and that I should read the VNs to get into Takeru's story. My foresight based on other adaptations of VNs I read beforehand served me well
    Yeah, definitely play the VN instead. I get some worth out of this anime whenever the mechs are on screen, the CG stuff is very competently made. Everything else though, holy shit lmao. The storytelling is completely incoherent, and the 2D animation is absolutely abhorrent. Constantly offmodel, grave animation errors like people missing limbs in key shots, and jaw droppingly amateurish direction techniques that do not belong into a professional, commercial work. The imbalance between the very well made CG scenes and outlandishly poor 2D scenes is quite comical.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I like how Orange had the other team call out how weird it was to play a full game of hockey with only enough people for a single line. I'm also pretty surprised that the scoring dropped off so much in the later periods, since the MCs would be dead on their feet by then. Maybe the other team was just being nice. God knows when you see someone run head first into the boards for no reason, or just standing still at centre ice, they need all the help they can get.

I also binge watched Fena a few days ago. It started all right, with huge Shoujo tones that really reminded me of Escaflowne. Although it feels like Hitomi has more agency then Fena does here, which is really saying something. Then in episode 10 the show just goes full Indiana Jones and I'm all for it, only to be followed by episode 11 where they attempt to redeem the main villain despite him being a huge murder who's all about that pseudo-incest. At least they had him die quickly after losing his whole fucking arm, bleeding out from major wounds a minute later isn't something you see often in anime. They normally have to have the character in question found hours later still clinging to life enough to give the MCs a last message.

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Watching Takt Op. Destiny lately. The animation and characters are good but I don't really get how character seem ignorant of basic aspects of their setting. This is a world where playing music outdoors attracts giant monsters that destroy everything, yet people have a big music festival and then act surprised when the big monsters show up? Unless there's some reason why this happened despite expectations like one of the Symphonica guys was secretly a traitor (blonde struck struck me as sus right off the bat) and outright allowed it when they should've been guarding them, this is really unbelievable and drags down the credibility of the show IMO.

Explained in episode 3. Monsters apparently went dormant and that was allowing the world to recover somewhat. There's also suspicions raised that there may indeed someone controlling the monsters somehow who engineered the whole thing to awaken Destiny.
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

DINO GETTER,FUCK YESS
    Spoiler:

I figured I should do this now even though I haven't started watching it yet.
    Last edited by Laserman; October 22nd, 2021 at 11:13 PM.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrapnel View Post
    Bob the Builder's evil twin.
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperial View Post
    HF felt like Nasu holding up a megaphone and screaming, "LOOK AT HOW SAD THIS IS! ISN'T IT SAD? YOU SHOULD FEEL SAD!"

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Altaris View Post
    > Einzbern

> Making smart decisions

Pick one

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    Palingenesis just sounds like we're creating Sarah Palin.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftovers View Post
    >tfw you betray your ideals to get some

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizukume View Post
    In short, Japan's syncretism BS striked again.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by castor212 View Post
    Curse
    Blessing
    of the Boobs

JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    86: Yeet the Frederica, Lower the Frederica, Carry the Frederica, Sling the Frederica. Shin can't help but connect to people, can he.
    canon finish apo vol 3

Took a look at my 86 vol 2, as of this ep we're now 80% done with vol 2. I guess next ep will end on the arc splitting cliffhanger, leaving us with 7 eps for vol 3.

I think vol 3 is where 86 finally finds its footing as a serialized LN. Vol 1 was a contest entry and had to be trimmed down and is written like an one-shot, and vol 2 is fumbling around trying to turn the one-shot to a series.

Decent ep, anyway.

Cute theo.

Blog Entries
    That is wholesome right there.

Digimon Ghost Game Episode 3: That was an interesting episode. Having Hiro/Gammamon absent from the first half was a good choice to highlight the isolation Ruri felt, though it dragged on for too long in my opinion. Nice to see even a Rookie like Dracmon can cause a lot of harm if malicious and unchecked (side note: I just realised that Dracmon is inspired by the Yokai "Tenome" with the whole hypnotising eyes in the hands schtick). Angoramon is precious and I like his pairing with Ruri. The confrontation with Dracmon was a bit of a let down and I'm surprised they just let him go at the end there, hopefully that doesn't come back to bite them.

Judging from the fact that Kiyoshiro is haunted by Pumpmon in the OP and said Digimon is in the preview for next week I'm guessing it's his turn next.