Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 367891013 ... LastLast

Thread: Lord El-Melloi II's Case Files Translation, Starting From Book 6

Chapter 5, Part 4
    Chapter 5, Part 4:

The dagger pierced straight into the area around her clavicle.

“Wait, is this—”

Would Logos ReAct be stopped this easily?

Could the deaths of my mother and Father Fernando be overturned?

The woman did not scream in response to being stabbed. There was no blood either, she simply stopped moving, like a puppet whose strings had been cut. If Erosion had worked properly, had the Husk King’s mind been separated from her body?

Just as I wanted to reach out to catch the falling body, I froze.

“[I understand now.]”

The body suddenly stopped falling, and turned toward me.

“Ah, is this why I was so obsessed? Is this death? Is this a graveyard? …Is that so. That is why I was so obsessed with you. I was correct.”

Though her face was still hazy, I got the distinct impression that she was staring straight at me. The corners of her mouth curled upwards in a smile.

“You are, my death.”

As soon as the words left her mouth, something changed.

“What—?”

With a swish, the woman’s body shattered in front of my eyes.

She had turned into sand.

Red sand.

In the space of a second, the body of Logos React had become a pile of abnormally bright red sand.

It wasn’t just the woman. Even Sister Illumia, Bersac, and the bone soldiers who were a certain distance away became sand, too, and increased in volume so that it nearly covers the entire graveyard.

“This is…it can’t be… Is it the transformative ability of the Philosopher’s Stone…?(TN: great, there’s more magecraft nonsense! I don’t understand a word of it!)”my mentor moaned. “Fuck, so that’s what kind of weapon Logos ReAct is!”

“What do you mean?”

“The Philosopher’s Stone was originally one of the creations of the Atlas Institute! It’s the ultimate place for storage, a book(TN: What?! A book?!) that can contain almost infinite amounts of information! Logos ReAct itself was created using the Philosopher’s Stone, under a certain specific state… As long as it continues to store records, it will continue to multiply itself forever…! Ah, that’s why all the people disappeared! They were dragged in when Logos ReAct tried to understand its death for the first time! So that’s what being made to save the world yet being able to destroy it means!”

It was a desert of red, stretching out infinitely, blanketing the world in red sand.

“Logos ReAct realized her own abilities for the first time. This hypothetical world that she created will become buried in this soon. If we were exposed to her for a long time, we might even be broken down into this sea of information. If that happens, then…”

Would reality be next?

This was probably what Zepia was trying to stop.

In order to prevent the entire world from turning into red sand, he had stayed in this village. That wasn’t out of the goodness of his heart, or because of something simple, like a sense of justice or a love of humanity.

He did this simply because he had decided to do so.

He was a person who existed for this reason, as a prop-like human. A human-like prop.

Then, suddenly, from the place where Logos ReAct had disappeared, a giant shadow rose to the air. It was no longer in the shape of a person. The figure that had been constructed from the sand spread its majestic wings and stared down at us as we stood there, pathetically on the crimson earth.

Ah, that was…

A bird.

“The bird of Hermes…” My mentor said, looking up.

I recalled that that was the name of the god who protected travelers and merchants in Greek mythology.

“Hermes, from Greek mythology, ended up fusing together with the Egyptian god Thoth and the alchemist Mercurius(TN: Is this Mercury? This might be Mercury?). Sometimes he appears as a person, and other times as a bird. Ah, this is quite fitting, as Hermes was also responsible for guiding the souls of the dead to the underworld.”

A divine bird that was meant to save humanity, but destroyed it instead.

[You are, my death.]

The words were not spoken. Instead, the information had been given directly to my brain.

Just like the first time I had met the Husk King, it had become something that could not speak.

[That is why I have come this far to kill you. It was the right thing to do in order to prevent death. I shall define this as correct.]

It spread its massive wings once more.

I immediately yelled in warning when I sensed the staggering amount of Magical Energy that had gathered on those feathers.

“Sir!”

With a screech, a volley of scarlet feathers rained down on us. It was almost like we were being bombed. The Magical Energy contained in each feather triggered a violent reaction many times more powerful than gunpowder.

The sand-covered ground was littered with chunks of rock, as every single one of the pillars had been reduced to rubble. Apart from me, everyone else had been blown away. In the face of the overwhelming power of the feathers of sand, the incomplete Bounded Field was about as effective as a sheet of paper.

As if pitying us for not being able to withstand even the simplest of its attacks, the diving bird circled in the sky above our heads.

…Ah.

I could not speak.

It wasn’t just a physical problem. The force of the Magical Energy unleashed by those feathers had completely messed up my insides, and I felt as if my intestines had been crushed by someone. Even if I tried to strengthen myself enough to stand up, I wouldn’t be able to do anything else.

The divine bird in the sky had started to gather Magical Energy again. If that attack happened again, it would be impossible for us to survive.

“…Ah…” I never thought that a single strike was enough to stop me from even standing up. In terms of power, it was already comparable to Faker’s Hecatic Wheel. If I took the range of the attack into account, it would be more powerful. However, since this was one of the Seven Superweapons, this attack was probably only the tip of the iceberg of the divine bird’s abilities. The bird continued to circle in the sky, as if to say that in its eyes, there was no difference between normal humans, mages, and even Heroic Spirits.

Where was my mentor…?

I was still curled up on the ground, and I could only move my eyes.

It seemed that Svin had managed to protect him in the nick of time.

Bestial Magecraft was best used for defense. However, even though they had only felt the shockwaves, they could not get up to their feet immediately.

I could not, either. Even though I had strengthened myself and used my scythe for defense at the same time, that bombardment was too powerful.

…Stand up, I thought desperately.

Don’t fall for something this insignificant. It was just a couple of broken bones. Now was not the time to cower.

No matter how much I tried to encourage and scold myself, I only managed to move my eyes and my lungs. I had been damaged badly, both physically, and magically. I could not overcome it with my will alone, and anxiety continued to circle through my mind.

Stand up, stand up… Stand up!

Why couldn’t I stand up? How could I fall here, before the mystery of my hometown was solved?

“Wake up.”

Someone grabbed my hood. His hand and his voice pulled me back into consciousness.

“Wake up, Gray!”

“…!” As I was being carried by him, my confused brain managed to recognize who the voice belonged to. “Sir Kay…”

“Didn’t that thing say you were its death?”

It seemed that the knight had also heard its thoughts. His armor had been completely wrecked by the attack. No, he had been hurt even more severely than I had. His chestplate had been pierced, and the rest of his armor was barely holding together. If he had been a regular person, I would have not believed that he was still breathing. Even so, the knight still stood there, determined.

“Since it said that, forget about whatever nonsensical fairy tale about saving humanity or destroying it. There’s nothing between you two now but the fight for survival.”

The knight’s words were pounding on my eardrums.

“I…”

I realized then that I had not released my grip on my scythe. This told me that it wasn’t just my heart that hadn’t given up, but my body as well.

“Exactly. Make sure you don’t lose it,” the knight said, satisfied.

However, I still couldn’t do it.

It was simply too late. That blow was too powerful, for my mentor, Flat, Svin, and I. Though I had regained my will, the Reaper was still barreling towards us as we were helpless.

The divine bird(Hermes) flew towards us.
    Feathers of sand full of Magical Energy shot from the wings of the divine bird(Hermes).

We had already witnessed its power, enough to destroy a fortress along with the army inside it, comparable to that of an anti-fortress Noble Phantasm.

However this time, the bombardment had deviated drastically.

“Huh?”

I looked blankly at the destruction some distance away from me. The large craters that had been created on the desert showed that its power had not diminished in the slightest. The divine bird also started wobbling as it flew in the sky, and spread its wings so that it wouldn’t fall.

My eyes widened. At the same time, a lively voice came from behind me.

“Bingo, bingo, bingo! It’s not everyday I get a chance to say this, so let me do Trimmau’s job for her! Come on, Hermes! Throw away your chickenshit wings(TN: I can’t tell what this means or what movie this is supposed to come from)! …I’m joking, of course, but I almost found a weakness when Gray stabbed that Mystic Code into it!” Flat said as he lay face down on the ground, barely managing to hold his hand up. Beside his hand, there was a crystal ball. It was probably one of the countless crystal balls that had been floating in the space where they had met with Zepia.

“I grabbed one of these before we got here. Mr. Zepia probably noticed it, but that doesn’t matter,” Svin said, somewhat embarrassed.

That meant that was a Mystic Code of the Atlas Institute that could be connected to Logos React. Though it wasn’t easy, did it mean that Flat, who excelled in intervention, could use it to hack into Logos ReAct?

“But, Svin…”

“This is nothing,” Svin said, wiping the blood on his chin. He should have been hurt the most out of the three, as he was the one who protected them. However, he looked even more noble when he was covered in blood. At the same time, Flat’s attitude towards Svin was extremely natural. He didn’t thank the other teenager, nor did he show embarrassment. The two, who were usually constantly bickering, now seemed like two parts of the same being.

“But I haven’t done anything yet.”

“Exactly! Since we’ve said that we won’t lose ever again, not even to a Grand Puppeteer, if we retreat like this, we’ll be too ashamed of ourselves to return to the El-Melloi classroom!” Flat said, with a smile.

It was an innocent yet fearless smile. Perhaps that was the nature of a mage.

In that period of time, the image that had been reflected in the crystal ball kept on changing. Many symbols and numbers appeared, and Flat looked at them, intrigued, as he kept tapping rhythmically with his fingers. It was similar to what he had done before, but not quite the same. He looked as if he was playing a piano, or some similar instrument.

“How is it, Flat?” My mentor asked.

“I just need to fix the malfunctioning parts of Logos React, right? Gotcha! I’ll start looking for it now so that the data about Gray’s mother can be…” He was in the middle of his sentence when his expression suddenly changed. “…W-what’s this…?”

“Flat?” My mentor said with a frown.

Flat seemed to not take notice of this.

“…The calculation speed is already less than a tenth of what it used to be… and only a small part of its functions are being used to counter my hacking… but it’s still [much faster than I am!]”

This was probably the first time I had heard something like this from the teenager who always seemed happy and relaxed.

“Give half of the work to me!”

Flat activated his Bestial Magecraft and put one hand on Flat’s back. This was probably the same thing my mentor had done with Luvia before, a connection of Magic Circuits. By multiplying the two circuits, the speed of the calculations increased.

However, even so, they could not contend against Logos React. Could not even the two best students of the El-Melloi classroom get even close to the ability of one of the Seven Superweapons of the Atlas Institute?

Flat’s situation stabilized for about ten seconds, but the same went for the divine bird, too. It regained control and began to leisurely fly towards us again. If it tried attacking us again, would Flat still be able to make it miss us? No, it probably wouldn’t be possible.

“Should I say that this is only what someone could expect from one of the Seven Superweapons?” My mentor said, as if he had predicted this outcome. “Since we won’t be able to increase the speed of our calculations, we can only try and slow it down.”

“Then…”

“Then our only choice is to stab it again with Erosion.”

My mentor looked toward the object that I was holding in my arms.

I had managed to retrieve this dagger.

“Erosion didn’t pierce through its body entirely. That’s why it ended up becoming stubborn to the point of calling you its death. After they came here, the Husk King and Logos ReAct became even more closely bonded together.”

For some reason, I had the same understanding.

The Husk King had not been separated from Logos ReAct yet. Or rather, I had felt that something had protected against the separation the moment before it was going to happen. Logos ReAct believed that in order for it to understand the concept of death, it needed the Husk King… or something like that.

If that was the case,

“…We’ll need to use Erosion to separate them completely.”

Would that be enough to resolve the situation?

“But how do we do that? The divine bird(Hermes) is flying around, and we can’t get up there.”

“I see, so we’ll just need to stop it from flying,” the knight said, partially to himself after hearing my words. He nodded, and then turned around. “I’ll take care of it.”

“Sir Kay?”

“Though we’ve only known each other for half a day, we’ve had a good time together, haven’t we, Lord El-Melloi II?”

The knight looked up at the sky.

The divine bird(Hermes) spread its wings for the third time.

“Ah, it really doesn’t know when to stop, does it?”

Why didn’t I step up to try and stop the hazy knight from advancing toward the divine bird?

“Sir Kay…”

“No matter where I am, what I do doesn’t make a difference. That’s why I never even managed to reach the Hill of Camlann.”

The Hill of Camlann. In my memory, that was the place where King Arthur had met her end.

Though he was a knight of the Round Table, he had not participated in the battle at all. He had died before he could.

“Are you…”

A loud voice inside my head yelled at me to stop him. However, even without that voice, it already took all of my strength to stay upright. The others were not capable of moving around freely, either. So the only reason why the knight still acted like it was nothing was simply because he lacked a material form.

“You know, Gray, I’ve always thought that if you were even the tiniest bit more hesitant, I could have just slacked off and gotten away with it. I never thought that you’d be so defiant. It goes for this time as well. You said a lot of stuff that made it sound like you were giving up, but you didn’t end up sinking into a whirlpool of pointless self-abuse. You’re actually pretty good at this.”

That was definitely not my strong point.

If it was the me of the past, I would have easily given up. However, the many cases and people that I had seen had changed me a little bit. However…

“It must feel good, being alive and able to change like that,” the knight said. “Don’t leave your heart with the dead(TN: Alternatively, don’t care too much about the dead). What you see now is only a shadow. No matter if you’re looking at a hero who’s achieved all sorts of great things, or a remnant of the past like me, we’re all just dead people. The living shouldn’t be held down by our existence.”

At this, he something else with a somewhat annoyed tone of voice.

“…Though I say that, no child would hate a fairy tale with a hero in it, would they? It could be used to give you dreams, like cheap wine. Haha, it might not even be that bad to live like your mentor.”

A new wave of red sand was about to be sent toward us from the wings of the divine bird. The knight stood in front of us, blocking its way.

“—Begin simulation(TN: Actually it’s the same word used in Mash’s Noble Phantasm! So I guess it could also be ‘pseudo-deployment’?).”

He raised his right hand. Though his movements were light, I could feel a dense concentration of Magical Energy there.

“Noble Phantasm, set. Ah, I’ll ignore the precise parameters. I’m not even a Heroic Spirit, just someone imitating Galahad.”

It was the knight(Sir Kay)’s Noble Phantasm.

He drew a circle with his fingers, and a strange white mist appeared in the middle of the desert of red sand.

Perhaps it was a Noble Phantasm that was meant to originate from water. However, it was only a simulation. It wasn’t possible for someone like Sir Kay, who wasn’t a Servant, to create even the hypothetical construct of a Noble Phantasm. Servants were simply too special.

If he wanted to force himself to do so, not only would he not succeed, he would also die.

“Sir Kay…!”

“Don’t worry about me.”

For the first time.

For the first time, only for a moment, I saw his face. That was probably because of the large concentration of Magical Energy that he had gathered for the simulation of a Noble Phantasm.

It was a face that looked slightly troubled, yet carried a smile that looked like it belonged to someone with a terrible personality.

That probably wasn’t what the knight was supposed to look like. Just like what he said about how the Husk King wasn’t the true King Arthur, that appearance was a mixture of Add and his original face.

Even so, or perhaps, because of that very reason, to me, it was…

“Trust me, it’ll be fine, Idiot Gray.”

Feathers of sand shot from the wings of the divine bird. The knight, who had been looking at me, turned to face the bombardment and shouted.

“Deploying Pseudo Noble Phantasm— Camelot Image(the Ephemeral Yet Unforgettable Castle)!(TN: Absolutely butchering the rest of that name, but oh well. It’s 儚くも忘れじの城, in case anyone wanted to know)”

Was that the fortress itself?

A Camelot made of mist rose up around the knight. It was that beautiful castle of chalk, praised by bards and poets from ancient times to the present. That castle, where it was said that as long as the famous Knights of the Round Table were gathered, no invaders or monsters would ever be able to enter.

Ah, I had thought that not even a hypothetical construct could be created. That even if he had managed to unleash it, by some miracle, it would only cause his death.

Just then, the knight had proved that it was possible.

However.

As if trying to say that even miracles like this were fakes, the feathers of the divine bird(Hermes) still fell upon us.

It was as if it was a castle made of glass.

For a few seconds, the walls blocked the attack, but they were quickly shattered.

“Damn it! But it was nice to see. I’ve already grown sick of looking at that beautiful castle!”

The bombardment enveloped the knight and his laughter.

His figure disappeared in the flurry of dust.

The divine bird(Hermes) chirped loudly, as if it was celebrating its own victory.

However, something else appeared from the dust, just as it prepared to spread its wings for another attack. (TN: Yeah these are all one-sentence paragraphs)

Something struck the divine bird(Hermes) with an incredible amount of force.

It was one of the bird’s own feathers of sand.

“—!”

I raised my had to block the shockwave of the explosion, and understood what had happened.

The castle of mist did not protect the knight’s body at all. That had never been the plan. The castle that he said he had long since grown tired of looking at did not have the ability to do that. However, it absorbed some of the divine bird(Hermes)’s feathers and shot them back at it, like a trick shot.

Of course, the attack from the divine bird(Hermes) was effective. The superweapon was now falling from the sky, being dragged by gravity toward the earth.

…It was as if that weak knight, who had never properly won a battle, had never lost to anything, whether it was another knight, or a monster.

As if that was the embodiment of his life.

“Sir Kay!”

There was no response.

The sharp-tongued knight disappeared without a trace, as if he had been an error from the very beginning. I should have expected that. Even if he hadn’t taken the full force of the attack, imitating a Noble Phantasm as a non-Servant was enough to destroy his Spirit Origin(TN: Alternatively, Saint Graph).

I recalled what he said when I used Rhongomyniad and undid the Seal of Thirteen.

—“This is a battle to live.”

It was the first voice that gave its approval.

Perhaps that was why he had commented on me, because I wanted to live. I desperately resisted the urge to collapse to the ground. If I did now, everything the knight did for us would go to waste.

“Sir… Kay…”

No matter how I called for him, he would not respond.

However, in his place—

“…Ihihihihi. I think I’ve slept quite enough.” A strange, piercing noise came from my scythe. Why did I feel so overjoyed to hear this voice again, after parting with it for less than a day?

“…Add…?”

“Ihihihihihi! I’ve finally woken up! I know everything that happened because I share that guy’s memory, but you’ve really gotten yourself into trouble!”

Like usual, the eyes on the scythe opened, and it spoke to me with a voice full of emotion.

What should I do? I felt tears in my eyes.

I felt as if I only ever knew how to cry. I was too weak to be of any use, but now, I knew that I needed to fight, no matter what.

“Add…!”

“Owowowowow! You idiot! Can’t you be a bit gentler? Don’t forget that when I wake up, your strengthening also gets stronger!”

Yes.

The Magical Energy I used for strengthening was split between myself and Add. That was the natural result, with Add joining the battle in a place so rich in Mana. More Magical Energy than I had ever felt before was now circulating within my body.

“Please lend me your power, Add.”

“Ah! There’s really not talking you out of it. I’ll only lend you a little, don’t cry too much about it!”

“Of course not!”

I held back my emotions though I was at my breaking point, and took off from the ground.
    Lord El-Melloii II watched the knight’s Pseudo Noble Phantasm deflect the divine bird(Hermes)’s attack, and watched it fall to the ground.

“…Ah.”

Sure enough, he thought.

That figure that said to “hand it to me” filled him with a sense of nostalgia. Those were the words of someone who was prepared to never return again. That was how the king who had changed the course of his life had rode forward with his scarlet cape fluttering behind him.

He felt a twinge of envy.

“‘Don’t leave your heart with the dead’, he said.”

He smiled a wry smile.

Could there be any words more biting to him than those?

Though that person had followed up by saying that he didn’t hate fairy tales, he must have been hated at the Round Table for having such a foul mouth.

Perhaps he had also been indispensable for that reason.

“Sir, can you give us some instructions?”

“Oh, of course,” Lord El-Melloi II said with a nod.

The divine bird(Hermes) that had soared in the sky not long ago was now tilting dangerously to one side. As a result, the speed of its calculations had also greatly decreased. Though it had not slowed down decisively yet, there was still a mountain of preparations that needed to be done.

“Flat, I’ll send my plan of the spell over to you now. This will probably be more effective against Logos ReAct.”

He poured in some Magical Energy along with the pattern.

After receiving the thought, Flat blinked twice.

“Wait, Professor, isn’t this what Dr. Heartless wrote on the evidence board…?”

“Yes. I am able to analyze it on a theoretical level. This is enough for you to work with, yes?”

“Of course, Professor! Just leave it to me! This is like giving a demon a golden rod(TN: this is an idiom, that’s the literal definition. It means making something strong even stronger), giving stars to Mario, or giving a Karate master a boomerang!”

The knight of the Round Table was no longer there.

They would not be able to withstand another attack from the divine bird(Hermes). If they were hit again by the feathers, he could be sure that not a single person would survive. Even so, no one felt afraid.
    Flat Escardos was sometimes called the child cursed with blessings(TN: Alternatively, the blessed cursed child? The cursed blessed child?).

The Escardos family was one of the few truly ancient families in the Clock Tower. Usually, even a long-lived Magic Crest would rot over a long period of time. Because of this, none of his ancestors had been remarkable mages. That made the Escardos family one of the few exceptions to the rule that older things carried stronger mystery.

However, if you asked if the birth of the prodigy named Flat had been a welcome surprise, the answer would be no.

At first, they had been glad.

They had reveled in the joy of finally producing something exceptional, as a family that had been mocked for a lineage of mediocrity.

However, the excessive excellence of this child made it impossible for them to feel happy for long.

Perhaps you could say that he was too exceptional.

Actually, he had almost [died at the hands of his own parents.]

That was why they called him the child who was cursed with blessings. Though he had been gifted with a gift that almost every mage coveted, he was also hated.

Huh, why would I be thinking of that now? He thought, as he built the spell according to the plan that he had just received from Lord El-Melloi II.

He always thought that he couldn’t unleash his full potential for fear that everyone around him would suffer because of it. Why did he need to try when he could slack off? It was easy to fake a smile by using Magical Energy to shift his facial muscles. There was hardly anyone who could see through this disguise.

However, this was only the case before he met his professor and Svin.

—“Sir, this guy smells like an absolute mess! Can I get rid of him?”

—“What!? Are you really going to let someone like him become my underclassman? With a smell as annoying as that, he’ll definitely just be a bother! Won’t it be better to bite him into pieces before he gets the chance to?”

What was he meant to do? That was his deepest secret.

What his professor had said affected him in a way that went without saying, but hearing Svin comment on him like that made him so excited he felt his hairs stand up on end.

…Of course. It was no wonder.

He licked his lips.

What he did here and now was simply a confirmation of something in the past. He was no longer afraid anymore, not only of his talent, or what motivated him, but also of what committing further would bring.

That was because.

“Alright, just wait and see!”

He looked toward the divine bird(Hermes).

Because there, lay the much-awaited challenge where he could go all out— [where going all out might not even be enough]—!
 -End of Part 4 of Chapter 5 of Book 7-
    —————————————————————————————————————————————————— ——

US Friend Code
    I really liked Kay, especially his emphasis on Gray needing to live to tie into his seal on Rhongo.
    I'm surprised Sanda went with a bird instead of going all the way and just making it Dust of Osiris's Hermes from Melty. He already put in the red sand.

Wait, Gray says here that Kay died before the Battle of Camlann. But in chapter 1 didn't Kay say he was the one who brought Saber's corpse to the cemetery?
    “Actually, I’m the Personality Model used for the Mystic Code meant to seal the lance, so I was sent here originally with the lance and that guy’s corpse,” continued the knight, somewhat irritatedly.
    Last edited by Reign; March 10th, 2022 at 03:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reign View Post
    Wait, Gray says here that Kay died before the Battle of Camlann. But in chapter 1 didn't Kay say he was the one who brought Saber's corpse to the cemetery?
    I think that means they sent his corpse there? According to this website, Sir Kay in the original legends was(or at least could have been) killed by some guy named Gwyddawg who was then killed by Arthur, which seems to corroborate the fact that he died before that.

US Friend Code
    That makes sense

Chapter 5, Part 5
    Chapter 5, Part 5:

“Of course not!”

I nodded, and took off from the ground. In a single step, I reached the place where the knight(Sir Kay) had disappeared. I did not turn my head to look back. I didn’t have the time to do that. I could not waste the instant that he had given me. I leaped forward before the divine bird(Hermes) could fly into the sky again, and shouted.

“Add! Release first stage restrictions!”

“Ihihihihi! It’s the first time you’ve used that thing, isn’t it? Can you make it?”

The scythe transformed back into a box for a split second before spinning like a Rubik’s cube, and changing into a giant wing-shaped boomerang.

However, I didn’t plan on using it as a boomerang, but as a hang glider(TN: A metal hang glider? Is it just me or does that sound like a bad idea). Though I wouldn’t be able to glide over a long distance, as long as I had a sufficient running start, I should be able to glide for a little bit. Though I had never used it in this form before, I glided through the air as if I was being instructed by someone.

I jumped toward the back of the divine bird(Hermes), and began to run after doing a few rolls. The divine bird(Hermes) reacted to that, and the red sand on its back turned into spikes and shot toward me.

“Add!”

It changed back into a scythe so I could block the attacks.

I was very sure of my target.

That was only natural, since Logos React still contained the mind of King Arthur.

I could clearly see a point on its back.

I swung my lance, cutting apart another wave of the sand spikes, and jumped up with the nimbleness of a clown walking a tightrope.

As I was in the air, I threw out the dagger with all my might.

Or course, it only managed to pierce through its feathers. Erosion wasn’t much sharper than any regular dagger, so it was impossible for it to pierce through the divine bird’s heart. Spikes of sand continued to appear.

However.

“Release first stage restrictions: Battering Ram!”

The scythe changed into the shape of a battering ram. It was supposed to be a siege weapon used by multiple people to break open the walls of a fortress, comparable to a Servant with a level D Mana Burst skill. It was the most powerful weapon that Add could become. I let all of my remaining Magical Energy flow into it, and crushed all the incoming spikes of sand.

“Aaahhhhhhhh!”

I swung the battering ram downward forcefully, and into the golden dagger.
    The divine bird (Hermes) faltered dramatically.

It finally fell to the ground, and I was tossed into the air.

I tried my best to protect myself, but luckily, I was going in the direction of my mentor, Flat, and Svin. Perhaps the divine bird had been trying to use me to attack them.

Regardless, my mentor looked towards the divine bird and gave an instruction.

“Now, Flat!” He shouted.

Immediately, the teenager began to recite a spell.

“Game Select! Circuit: Full Connect!”

Light poured forth from Flat’s hands.

Through my Magic Circuits, I could tell that the light was made from many complicated numbers and symbols.

No, the light didn’t come from only Flat. It actually came from Svin, who provided large amounts of Magical Energy as he stood there with one hand on Flat’s shoulder. Flat skillfully manipulated the light, with the support of Svin’s sense of smell and the supplementary Od.

The light extended toward the crystal ball, and perhaps because of the spell that my mentor gave them, it became a chain of mystery.

The alchemist’s bird made of red sand was captured by those chains.

However, the divine bird had no intention of taking the attack, from the surprised look that suddenly appeared on the teenagers’ faces, I could tell that another kind of power was flowing through the chains toward them.

That was the only part of it that I could understand.

The scales of victory were still quivering between the two sides. The invisible clash mesmerized me, and I lost track of time(TN: I’m pretty sure that’s not what it’s supposed to mean).

“Who will win…” I said, trying to keep my exhausted body upright and gazing at the struggle, at a loss of what to do.

Suddenly, a familiar smell reached my nose.

My mentor had begun to smoke a cigar.

He had probably taken it out as I was concentrating on what was happening over on the other side.

“Is there still a need to ask? The result of the battle has been decided a long time ago. If we didn’t know what our opponents were capable of, then perhaps it might be different, but we’ve already determined that.”

I listened to my mentor’s words with a sense of wonder.

His eyes squinted slightly, as if with envy.

Or perhaps jealousy.

Or maybe like he was gazing at a faraway star.

“—How would my students lose?” My mentor said, not because he trusted them too much, or because that statement was forced, but because it was something obvious.

—And then.

The result was just as he had said.
    -End of Part 5 of Chapter 5 of Book 7-

Epilogue
    Epilogue:

“—Is it really alright if you don’t visit your mother?”

The person who asked me the question was Zepia, who stood in the shade of a tree to be out of the sunlight. We were all outside the village, at the foot of the mountain.

It was now sometime in the evening, and the sun had mostly sunk into the horizon. Even so, it seemed that sunlight was still troublesome for the director of the Atlas Institute. Apart from his usual cape, he had also donned a hood.

“…My mother’s alright, right?”

“Yers. Though she and Father Fernando were in a critical condition, after administering some first aid, Sister Illumia took them to a hospital nearby with connections to the Holy Church. Their lives shouldn’t be in danger. The Church doesn’t know anything about how she took your place, and her link with the Husk King has also been completely severed. You don’t have to worry about whether or not she will become some sort of magecraft specimen. …In terms of what else happened, nobody in the village died.”

It almost felt like a joke, like mountains had parted only to reveal a single mouse(TN: Also an idiom, means something that sounds substantial but really isn’t). After such a comically large amount of turmoil, I found it difficult to believe that it would end in such a peaceful way.

Or perhaps it would be more fitting to say that we had made it into a peaceful ending.

I rubbed my shivering shoulders. The frigid wind was a little harder to bear, as we had just been in the summer of the Second Cycle not long ago.

“I suppose you could say that the mind of King Arthur—the Husk King is an exception. In actuality, she was only returned to the inside of Logos ReAct as a mental model. The concept of time is vague for a being that does not have a body or a soul, so the months that she spent underground was equivalent to a couple of minutes of napping.”

Around half a day had passed since the battle. After we had been released from that space, we had listened to Zepia’s explanations as he finished what he called ‘dealing with the aftermath’.

According to him, the contract that meant that the Atlas Institute had to lend out Logos ReAct until King Arthur was revived or ruled as incapable of being revived was still in place. The main reason why this case happened, Logos React, which had fused with my mother and the mind of King Arthur, seemed to have entered a state of self-diagnosis and self-repair. It would probably remain that way for the next couple of years, and considering the intervals between the Fuyuki Holy Grail Wars, there should be no need to worry about it for the time being.

Of course, the old woman who believed in King Arthur the most fervently wouldn’t give up, but you could say that it didn’t matter either way. The only reason why she had gone as far as to fight openly with the Holy Church was because a chance to reunite the body, mind, and soul had appeared. After this was no longer the case, she wouldn’t be able to do anything.

“Does my mother know that I’m still alive?”

“That information should have been transmitted to her, because she was briefly fused with Logos ReAct. Though most humans aren’t capable of processing that many pieces of information, theoretically, she will be left with the impression that you are alive.”

“That’s all I need to know. As long as she knows I’m still alive.”

If I went to visit her and the rest of the villagers happened to find out, there would be trouble. If that did happen, I didn’t know what the desperate woman and the other believers would do.

“What about going to visit her in disguise?” Flat suggested, as if he had sensed what I was thinking about.

Speaking of that, the spell that he had cast on my button had still been in place, so it was a shock when we returned here to find that my face was different. Our bodies in the Second Cycle seemed to have been constructed by Logos ReAct, so we didn’t have even a scratch on us.

“No, there’s no need to. Besides, my mother and I still need some time away from each other.”

I’ll definitely meet her again one day, I thought. One day, but now. Before that happened, I first needed to get my own thoughts in order.

What did all the things she had done for me mean, and what did she think about them? In order to not make any more mistakes, I wanted to answer each one of my questions, and I didn’t know how long that would take.

Before that, though, it must have been disorienting for a lot of the villagers for summer to suddenly become winter as they were preparing to revive King Arthur. I didn’t know what would happen to the village in the future, but it would be impossible for it to maintain the status quo. From that perspective, having my mother stay in a hospital with connections to the Holy Church seemed safer to me.

Just as I considered this, my mentor spoke.

“…The Chivalric Orders haven’t taken any action yet, so it seems that the Holy Church hasn’t noticed the situation over here.”

“Huh? Isn’t that strange? Since all the people in this village have disappeared for half a year, that means that Sister Illumia and Father Fernando haven’t contacted them for that long as well, right? They were sent there to monitor the village, so wouldn’t it seem weird if they didn’t send any reports for that long?” Svin asked, pointing out the problem.

That was true. Since this place was already under surveillance, the central members of the Holy Church should have done something. What would be a reason for them not to…?

“Did someone mess with the information?”

“Heartless, isn’t it?”

“Who knows?” Zepia said, deflecting the question.

My mentor shifted his gaze to his students.

“Flat, Svin, can you scout out the town at the foot of the mountain? I don’t think anything will come up, but it would be a problem if members of the Holy Church really came.”

“Gotcha!”

“We will try to return as soon as possible!”

Flat and Svin gave a quick salute before turning around quickly.

They had started out walking peacefully on the road, but somewhere along the way, something happened between them that caused them to start arguing, which gradually turned into something that resembled a game of tag that involved magecraft. It was very much in their style. Though they hadn’t sustained any injuries, they were probably still tired. So, seeing them acting so livelily, should I say that that was what could only be expected from the twin juggernauts of the El-Melloi Classroom?

My mentor watched them go before turning to Zepia again.

“Oh, and, something else that caught my attention. Do you mind telling me something before we leave?”

“What?”

“I feel like the order is wrong.”

“The order?”

“Those four rules are connected to the Magic Circuits of the grave keepers. In other words, it’s reasonable to assume that that was passed down the Blackmore line for generations, from long before the Common Era.”

“Yes, that is a reasonable assumption,” Zepia said, nodding. Above him, a raven cawed. The call sounded somewhat lonely, as it resounded throughout the silent forest.

Bersac had probably returned to reality as well. No matter what happened to the village in the future, I don’t think that the grave keeper who taught me all sorts of knowledge and skills would leave this place. Perhaps he would live out the entire rest of his life as the grave keeper of Blackmore Graveyard.

“However, that Black Madonna is possibly modeled after Morgan Le Fay, so it’s relic of King Arthur’s time, after the Common Era. Most people agree that she comes from around the Fifth Century. So why would a rule about the Black Madonna appear in the grave keeper’s rules?”

“Those two don’t necessarily contradict each other. The last rule was just added on afterwards. The grave keepers of Blackmore Graveyard were originally just skilled Soul Carriers.”

“True, Magic Crests are meant to be added onto by later generations. …But, those four rules were added on far more recently than we assumed, right? For instance, maybe they could have been added a few centuries ago, around the same time when you became the director of the Atlas Institute.”

Hearing my mentor’s words, Zepia’s eyebrow twitched slightly.

“Just say what you’re trying to imply directly.”

“I think the order is the opposite of what I just said. Actually, out of the four rules, the one about the Black Madonna was the one that had always been there, to more efficiently discover someone with the potential to become King Arthur. That’s what the statue functions as, as a Mystic Code. None of the other rules are necessary. Yes, though they stop the villagers from accidentally getting too close to Mystery, and because hiding the Bounded Field around the swamp would be quite difficult. However, those rules only tell people [what not to do]. Perhaps it might even be for the frequently visiting director of the Atlas Institute to [be able to calculate the parameters of the villagers more easily.]”

My eyes widened.

“You have lent out Logos ReAct to this land, and before the Contract of Atlas is fulfilled or deemed incapable of being fulfilled, you cannot retrieve it. Of course, you must have set up some kind of Mystic Code used for monitoring this place, but if you were to intervene directly, that would violate the contract. We’ve already proven that with this case. Just like the Magic Circuits, the four rules only affect the grave keepers. You set those rules with the grave keeper back then, getting as close to violating the contract as you could without actually violating it.”

After he listened to what my mentor had to say, the alchemist shrugged. He didn’t deny it, though, and under these circumstances, that was as the best confirmation we could get.

My mentor sighed deeply.

“You really are patient and well-prepared.”

“The alchemists of the Atlas Institute are still mages, which means you can never trust one completely. You should know that.”

The alchemist spoke with a hint of a smile as he looked at my mentor, who remained serious.

“……”

I listened to their conversation, speechless.

In this case alone, my impression of Zepia had been completely overturned three times already. How was I meant to understand someone like him? I first thought that he was a sinister person shrouded in mystery. After Logos ReAct malfunctioned, he seemed like the stoic guardian of the world. And now, he gave me the impression of a crafty salesperson. No, it must have been all of this that joined together to form this Dead Apostle and alchemist named Zepia Eltnam Atlasia.

“Is this what you noticed first?”

“Yes, I thought of it when we discussed the Black Madonna and Morgan Le Fay in the underground temple. I only thought of it again because of a hint you gave us during the First Cycle, something about how this place was connected to a Dead Apostle from two thousand years ago.”

—“Blackmore is the name of an ancient Dead Apostle with a connection to this land.”

—“A Dead Apostle who controlled birds and lived for more than two thousand years ago, but was unfortunately killed in this script.”

I never thought that those would end up being related.

“Next, all I have to do is follow this to its logical conclusion. Why are you here? Why would you bring up the graveyard and the three parts of a person? I’m a bit ashamed to admit to it, but I only became sure of it when I read Heartless’ evidence board.”

“This was a bit of a gamble for me as well,” Zepia said, looking as if he was about to fade into the sunset. (TN: What, where did that description come from?) “I can see many possibilities(scripts), and I can measure each of their probabilities. However, there is only ever one reality. Hm. Don’t you plan on asking me about my deal with Heartless?”

“I don’t need to. I’m already certain about that. It’s different for what you gained from it, but what Heartless asked for is obvious.”

“Oh. Do you want to confirm it with me?”

My mentor replied without a moment of hesitation.

“Alright. If Heartless wanted information about the ritual in this village, he wouldn’t have needed to strike a deal with Gray’s mother. Heartless is almost ridiculously cautious— In a certain sense, he’s a bit like me, as he makes so many preparation that it makes him seem cowardly. If that’s the case, there is one thing that he could have asked of you, which is to [not calculate anything related to his future], right?

“And that is how your knowledge of everything that he was involved in was limited. That’s one of the reasons why you could only take a passive stance.”

“A lovely answer. …And just in case you wanted to know, he provided me with data about the Holy Grail Wars in the past.”

Hearing those words, I felt myself tense up.

Heartless had carefully researched the Fuyuki Holy Grail Wars. That was why he had information that not even the director of the Atlas Institute knew.

However, if Zepia needed this information…

“Ah, there’s no need to be worried. I have no intent on taking part in a Holy Grail War. I’m just curious about the spells behind it. Yes, the process of summoning a Servant, which can reproduce even the soul, is connected to the Third Magic which I wish for.”

The body, the mind, and the soul.

Up to this point, these three concepts had appeared countless times.

However, it was said that no type of magecraft would be able to recreate a soul, except with the use of the Third Magic, something that no mage would be able to attain— an impossible way for humanity to advance forward.

However, that wasn’t that closely related to this case, and my mentor did not ask more questions on the subject. Like my mentor would sometimes say during lectures, excessive knowledge can sometimes lead to danger.

Zepia, however, tilted his head slightly.

“Do you have another question?”

“Can I… ask you something else?”

“You are more than welcome to do so.”

The raven cawed again.

The smell of dinner being cooked reached me. Perhaps it was a hallucination, or perhaps it was the scent of the food from some family at the foot of the mountain wafting by on the wind. It made me think back to my mother’s stew. That taste, which had once sent chills down my spine, now made me feel nostalgic.

“From your point of view, did I make the right choice?”

That was the question my mentor asked.

“That question is meaningless. Though incorrect scripts exist in this world, there is no correct choice. If such a thing did exist, then the Altas Institute would have been saved long ago. Or perhaps the end has already come. I wonder which ending would be easier for us.”

Zepia ended that line there.

I blinked.

The sun had completely disappeared into the horizon. Under the cover of the sticky(TN:??) twilight, I thought I saw something appear on his lips.

“However, I must say… that was a choice that nobody else could make except you, Lord.”

“…Huh?”

I made an awkward sound.

Maybe.

But only maybe.

I was so ensnared by this thought that I didn’t even notice that Flat and Svin had returned.

In that moment, I thought that I saw the director of the Atlas Institute, someone so unnaturally emotionless that even a bit of anger felt like a computer having a bug, smile in a very human way.
    The first thing that struck me upon returning to London was the noise.

The city was filled with all kinds of it, from the music blasting from radios and televisions to the voices of the people, the sound of car engines, the cries of children, and the noises produced by construction. All of it formed a harmony, becoming like some kind of band.

Though there was lots of sound in the countryside as well, the biggest difference was that most of that came from people. That was a type of music that only sounded because the people were alive and had gathered together like they were being melted in a crucible.

“……”

When I had first arrived in London, I thought that the rows of skyscrapers looked like gravestones. The people that surged into the desaturated buildings looked like a procession of the dead, headed toward the underworld.

Now, I didn’t think the same way.

Buildings were buildings, and graveyards were graveyards. No matter how many people gathered in the same place, that fact would not change. There was no need to try and interpret some kind of special meaning from that. Perhaps these thoughts might change again with time, but today, I didn’t hate that thought.

I finished everything that I had planned for the morning, and boarded the bus.

My destination was somewhere close to Slur Street, and after getting off, I walked towards the mansion that was not far from the station.

After less than ten minutes, I got there.

As instructed, I walked around the house and to the back garden, where I walked in from the back door after ringing the doorbell twice. I was already familiar with the place, and I didn’t need someone to guide me as I walked down the corridor. Even so, every time I took a step on the bright red carpet, I could feel my heartbeat speeding up. I suppose there was nothing I could do about that.

Reines was waiting for me in the parlor.

She saw what I was holding, and blinked several times in surprise.

“Gray, what’s that?”

“Um, I wanted to have some desserts with you. …Usually, Miss Reines is the only one who prepares them.”

I stood there stiffly, hugging the cheap paper bag that seemed so out of place in the elegantly decorated room. Though it was something that I had bought from the department store, I didn’t have an eye for delicious things at all. Now, I was finally realizing the importance of being experienced when buying things.

“Is it your treat?”

“Y-yes. My treat for, Miss Reines.”

Reines stared at me for a bit longer with a rare look of sincerity on her face. The atmosphere in the room suddenly became as if this was a blind date(TN: Not really blind date, more like… uh, the meeting between people where they ’see and assess the suitability of a prospective mate or son/daughter in law’).

However, seeing me stand there, struggling to hold the bag, she spoke.

“Trimmau, can you find some suitable tea?”

“Understood, ma’am.”

The mercury maid performed a perfect curtsy, and left the room.

She had some white ceramic plates placed onto the table, and I felt a sense of regret as I saw the chocolates that I had brought sitting on them. Just from the presentation alone, I could tell that they could not compare to what Reines usually prepared for us at all. After tasting a piece at her urging, I felt even more ashamed. Even my ears were burning. I felt as if I was a stupid clown. How did I decide that this was a good idea?

And then, Reines took a bite from a piece of chocolate in front of my eyes. Then, she widened her eyes in surprise. Because she was in her own house, her eyes were a shade of brilliant red, which made me feel even more sorry for her.

“…It’s good!”

“U-um, you don’t need to take my feelings into consideration.”

“No, I think it’s weird as well. It does taste incredibly normal. The temperature wasn’t controlled well, so the texture is strange, and the cacao beans used were of mediocre quality, so it’s lacking in flavor… but it really does taste good. Why?” The young woman tilted her head.

She sank into thought, savoring every taste. It didn’t look like she was lying. Then again, this wasn’t some important social gathering, and I wasn’t someone she needed to act polite towards.

I took another piece of chocolate, with the feeling that I had been lied to. From the second piece onward, I realized that it did taste surprisingly good. Though I couldn’t analyze the taste like Reines could, I could agree that yes, it was good.

“It’s because both of you are enjoying it at the same time. That is what Trimmau thinks.”

“That’s impossible! How could the taste of something change because of the people around you?” Reines replied, in a rare burst of excitement.

“Is something wrong?”

“Oh, no, nothing,” Reines’s said with a huff, and then pointed to my teacup. “Have some tea. Teatime is about both desserts and sweets.”

“S-sure.”

I did as she said and surprised myself again.

As soon as I drank the tea prepared by Trimmau, the originally mediocre chocolate began to melt in my mouth. Though it still wasn’t as exquisite as the desserts that Reines usually prepared, which were like they had been decorated with stars plucked out of the night sky, there was a very solid, calming taste there.

Together, we took more and more pieces of chocolate savoring this wonderful time.

Being able to enjoy desserts and tea together made me incredibly happy.

And then, after quietly listening to my account of what had happened at my hometown, Reines spoke.

“I see. Though I’ve also received a report, I never thought that it would be related to the Seven Superweapons of the Atlas Institute. Even for a Lord, those are way to many annoying things to just come across randomly… Though I want to write it off as one, it seems like the cases you two have been a part of aren’t just a coincidence. Yes, in a certain sense, the only coincidence was the initial meeting.”

“...?”

I didn’t quite understand what she was trying to get at, and I tilted my head. Seeing this, a wry smile appeared on Reines’ face.

“I’m talking about the initial meeting between you and my brother.”

She waved her pale fingers across the table, and brushed its edge. Those really were beautiful fingers, I thought, like those of a bisque doll, created to be beautiful. However, I knew how many obstacles she had to overcome and how heavy of a price she had to pay to get here.

“Of course, my brother needed someone who was good at dealing with Servants, but that’s not why you two met. …I suppose you could say that the same goes for Heartless.” At this, the young woman’s eyes narrowed. “My brother and Dr. Heartless have so many things in common that it’s uncanny. Perhaps it’s because they both were the head of the Department of Modern Magecraft(Norwich), but that doesn’t cause their ways of thinking to be the same. Perhaps I should say that their characteristics are complementary.”

“Complementary?”

“At least, I think so. Just like Flat and Svin. If they were in the right situation, they could build a mutually supportive relationship. However…”

“However?”

In response to my question, Reines picked up two pieces of chocolate and held one in each hand before smashing them together.

“Both might meet their destruction.”

These words made my heart rate accelerate. The fact that it came from Reines, who was one of the people who understood my mentor the most, made it even more convincing.

Reines put the two smashed pieces of chocolate into her mouth, and looked up at the ceiling, swinging her legs.

“Speaking of that, I’ve also come across something strange in my investigations.”

“Has something happened?”

“It was the new year recently, and there were a lot of banquets being held. I decided to look around a bit. I met with informants from all three factions, the Aristocratic Faction, the Democratic Faction, as well as the Neutral Faction… I found that there were too few rumors being mentioned about the Holy Grail War.”

“Rumors?”

Seeing me tilt my head in confusion, Reines nodded lightly.

“Yep. It is the war that caused the death of the previous Lord of the El-Melloi faction, after all, but other people still think that it’s an insignificant ritual in some remote place. For the Fifth Holy Grail War, the Clock Tower even sent a Sealing Designator to Fuyuki, but this information doesn’t seem to have gotten out there at all. The difference in how the information was distributed seems too unnatural.”

Within the young woman’s examinations, there hid the sensitivity that only someone who was used to the constant whirlwind of power struggles within the Clock Tower would have. Of course, my mentor had that ability as well, but he was different to Reines. In my opinion, I think that other than the amount of experience, it also had to do with the natural differences between the personalities of different people.

“There’s only one organization in the entire world of magecraft that can pull of something like that,” the young woman said, biting into a piece of almond chocolate and raising her index finger. “The Department of Law.”

The image of a mage that we had met many times up to this point appeared in my mind. The woman(person) that reminded me of a snake, who dressed in the clothing of the Far East.

Hishiri Adashino.

It wouldn’t be surprising for her to use any means to reach her goal. In the cases at Adra Castle and the Rail Zeppelin, she did not not give up even when faced with my mentor’s deductions. However, there was another reason why thinking of her made me swallow.

“Zepia also said something similar after that.”

“Oh? What did he say?” Reines said, leaning forward with interest.

I anxiously told her of the lines that the alchemist had calmly said to us. “Heartless might be your enemy, but that doesn’t make him the Clock Tower’s enemy… he said.”

I shivered, and an uncomfortable feeling piled up at the bottom of my heart.

The Clock Tower was not some kind of innocent and virtuous organization. It was a place affected by the desires of all sorts of people, corrupt to the core because of the complexity of the structure of power… In this sense, it was completely different from the Atlas Institute. It was impossible to tell ally from enemy.

If that was the case, it would only be natural to assume that [Heartless has allies within the Clock Tower.]

“I see. I’ll look into it. But if we’re dealing with the Department of Law here, it’s best not to keep your hopes up. …The Department of Law isn’t always united within itself, either.”

Reines closed one of her eyes, somewhat melancholily.

Even in a place where scheming was the order of the day, the Department of Law was different. For that reason, Reines was also limited in what she could do.

“Was that all Zepia talked about?”

Reines leaned forward until she was bent over the table like a mischievous cat. Her flame-colored eyes shone brightly. Many people, men and women alike, had probably felt the soul-capturing power of the charm that radiated from them.

“Y-yes.”

“Really? Was it?”

As Reines inched closer and closer to me, a loud, piercing voice sounded from the hook at my right shoulder.

“Ihihihihi! I woke up to a delicious meal, didn’t I?”

“Add!”

“Hahaha, to think that someone as insignificant as Gray would attend a girls’ meetup! You can count me in too! Even though boxes don’t have genders, that doesn’t matter here! If you’re planning on having a pajama party, don’t about me! It would be even better if you also invited some pretty girls who—”

I felt that he was asking for it by this point, so I took the birdcage off of the hook and gave it a shake. Though it made a loud cry that sounded like a large insect being smashed to death, I didn’t care at all. Who cared about it, anyway? It didn’t even consider how worried it had made me not long ago.

Reines clapped her hands happily, while Trimmau’s mercury face emotionlessly reflected the image of the howling box.

It was a very enjoyable time.

To the point where I was worried that I might have overdone it and berated Add too much, and ended up apologizing to it.

To the point where tears almost fell uncontrollably from my eyes.

Actually, Zepia had said one more thing.

However, I could not bring myself to tell it to Reines and Add.
    —This was what he said.

It was after the fight with Logos ReAct.

Add had sank back into slumber, and Zepia had come to discuss something serious with me. My mentor, Flat, and Svin had also happened to be discussing their plans for the future, and they didn’t focus their attention on us.

“As thanks, let me give you a word of advice. It would be better if you didn’t use Rhongomyniad again.”

“…Huh?”

His advice came out of nowhere, and for a moment, I didn’t know how to react.

“W-why?”

“You used Rhongomyniad before while you were on the Rail Zeppelin, right? That is indeed a Noble Phantasm fitting for the end of a case. Even the Servants who play the main roles must succumb in the face of its power. However, you should be glad that you did not release the Seal of Thirteen completely. Otherwise, Add would have undoubtedly been broken.”

“…Ah.”

That reminded me.

Add had been sleeping more ever since the case at the Rail Zeppelin. Was that because it needed to repair itself?

“It’s a very intricate Mystic Code, and can repair itself to a certain extent. However, that would be too much. Though incomplete, the burden of unleashing the full power of the lance should not be underestimated. I don’t blame you, though. This was a problem even for the original one.”

“The original?”

“You haven’t noticed? There were restrictions put on Add’s memory, but it became very obvious once the mental model of Sir Kay appeared from it. It even successfully created a pseudo-Noble Phantasm, though that’s a feat that was only possible in an imaginary space within the original.”

After a pause, the alchemist of the Atlas Institute made an announcement.

“The core of Add is actually Logos ReAct Replica.”
    The words of the Alchemist were stuck in my heart, like a thorn that I could not remove. Perhaps my mentor had already noticed it as well. Just like Zepia said, that was a truth that could be reached by stacking a few deductions together. With my mentor’s capabilities, it would be more unnatural if he hadn’t noticed.

…However.

What about the possibility that Add would break?

There were not many situations where I needed to unleash Rhongomyniad. However, if we continued to be involved with Heartless, I couldn’t be certain that such a situation would not come up. The Holy Grail War also came up multiple times, and I could not ensure that nothing problematic would come up.

If the life of my mentor or Reines was in danger, would I use Rhongomyniad again?

This question swirled around my mind. If was the first time that I had been so fixated on something in my life.

The next morning, I left my dorm room and headed out towards Druid Street.

There was still a chill in the air(TN: Well what do you expect? It’s January), and each breath brought with it a cloud of white. Even if I told everyone in London about how we were experiencing summer a few days ago, nobody would believe us.

The classes at the El-Melloi Classroom had not resumed yet. That was because my mentor, the most important person there, had not returned yet. Though the classes were being taught by all of the other highly skilled teachers of the Department of Modern Magecraft under the lead of Shardan, something felt missing from the classroom.

I stepped off of Druid Street, and into a side road shrouded by a Bounded Field.

This apartment(flat) would sometimes have an unwelcome guest in the form of Yvette, and the other students had often patrolled the area to keep her out. That resulted in the place turning into a dueling arena, before my mentor had chased them all away… I had witnessed all of this not long ago.

I walked up the spiral staircase and knocked on the door a few times before just pushing it open. The door wasn’t locked, and as soon as walked into the foyer, I could see that incredibly messy room. There were books, documents, clothes, cigarettes, and bottles of what resembled medicine scattered all over the room, along with a few bottles of alcohol, cans, and other miscellaneous items, creating a kind of chaos unlike any other.

I couldn’t help but smile a wry smile when I saw that familiar figure inside the room.

Perhaps he was a bit too relaxed, I thought. My mentor was reclined on the sofa, with his back to a replica of a painting depicting the cutting of the Gordian knot. To be exact, it was more like he was laying on top of the sofa. He was concentratedly gripping onto the game controller in his hands.

“Sir, I’ve bought the snacks and drinks that you asked for.”

“Thanks, just put them over there,” my mentor said with a cigarette in his mouth as he stared unblinkingly at the LCD screen.

He had a slight stubble on his chin. He had probably played through the entire night. He said that he was staying home to rest up and recover, and I didn’t expect that he would end up using it all to game.

No. I take back what I just said. I had long since anticipated that this would happen. It was my mentor, after all.

I sighed.

“Can I at least help you comb your hair?”

“Do whatever you want to,” my mentor said, not shifting his gaze from his screen.

Seeing him stare that intently, I started to worry somewhat about his eyes, but there was probably a way to fix that with magecraft. If that time really came, he’d probably grumble for an entire week about the bill that had one more digit than one from a regular doctor.

Either way, I asked him to sit in a position that made it easier for me to comb his hair and gently picked up a strand of hair. I took out a comb and started brushing it for him.

Though he lived so carelessly, there were hardly any split ends. Was this because of some kind of magecraft? Though I knew that he had grown out his hair for the sake of magecraft, I remembered him mocking himself once by saying that there wasn’t much of a risk or much of a reward for a male mage to do this. It was very much in my mentor’s style to criticize himself while still continuing to do something, though.

The game that he was playing now seemed like an RPG, and every time the red-haired, armored protagonist swung a sword, monsters fell with fancy-looking effects. My mentor had played all sorts of games, but he seemed to like Japanese-style RPGs the most.

“…Can I ask you something?” I asked.

“As long as you don’t mind me answering while I play.”

Hearing this careless answer made me happy for some reason. Only a little bit, though.

I eyed the things that were on the table.

“Did Mr. Melvin bring these?”

“Yes. He came over the day we arrived back in London and forced me to accept a bunch of magecraft medicines, canned food, and wine. I happened to be hungry, so I took it.”

“I see.”

Half were necessities, and half were non-essential. It looked like something that Melvin would do. He understood how my mentor would temporarily accept things if he needed it. However, he would probably carefully catalogue everything that my mentor took and add it all to the list of favors that my mentor needed to repay. That self-proclaimed best friend of best friends was generous, yet counted his debts like a devil at the same time.

However.

The fact that he was concerned and came to visit my mentor at a time like this made me happy.

This case had been far too exhausting.

Though we had solved it, we had both returned with scars. Even if they were invisible to the eye, they could affect our will to go on.

This was the first time that nobody had died. The fact that we had successfully saved my mother and Father Fernando should have made me happy and satisfied, but only a sticky feeling of fatigue remained in me.

Perhaps this was because I felt that [this was not over.]

The case was not over yet. We had not gotten to the most crucial part.

For a time, there was only the sound of the game, breathing, and the comb softly swishing across hair.

Then, my mentor suddenly spoke.

“…I shouldn’t have asked that question.”

He didn’t have to elaborate for me to know what he was talking about.

It was the question he had asked Zepia whether he had made the correct choice.

“I thought that I had grown at least a little bit, but I haven’t changed at all. I’m still as immature as I used to be. It really is hard for people to change.”

“You said something similar when we first met.”

I recalled what he had said.

—“I haven’t grown at all. Nothing has changed since then. I haven’t gotten even a single step closer to the person I wanted to be.”

I had felt the blood that seeped from those words.

It was probably because of this that I had chosen to follow my mentor. I had thought that even if this person would not give me the correct answer, we could suffer together.

I was not wrong.

However, I never thought that we would end up suffering like this.

“I’m even less mature than you are, so I always want to shout that I want someone to tell me that what I did was right.”

“Both of us are lazy then, aren’t we?”

“Perhaps.”

I slowed down the brushing of his hair and nodded.

A brief silence settled upon the room again. The hero in the game was running furiously. It seemed as if the end was approaching. The wizard had already learned many pages full of spells. I couldn’t help but feel a sense of irony seeing my mentor control a character that used magic.

“There’s something I want to tell you first,” my mentor muttered, still staring at the screen. “Cherish your friends. Even if it’s become an untenable situation, you don’t need to pay some sort of strange price for me. I’m already resigned to my fate of having to rely on the protection of my students, but if I’m bringing my students any necessary suffering, I might as well go die.”

“……”

…He saw straight through me.

Add was still asleep, and did not interrupt.

My mentor continued gaming with a face so expressionless he looked like he hated life. Had he already figured out what I was troubled about, or did he just not care? Or was he just as troubled by it as I was?

“…Alright.” I nodded. Suddenly, a mischievous thought arose in my mind. “That’s not fair, Sir. (TN: I don’t understand what ズルい translates to in this context so that’s going to have to do)”

“Oh. Um, really?”

“Yes. You keep asking things of other people, but you’re always making sacrifices. That’s way too irresponsible.”

“…I’m sorry.”

He hung his head and apologized sincerely.

“I forgive you. But you have to answer my question.”

“What question?” He asked.

I continued to comb his hair as I quietly adjusted my breathing.

I had wanted to ask about this for the past couple of days. I hurriedly organized my thoughts into something coherent, and spoke.

“You said something during the Second Cycle about how you didn’t have the courage to meet a version of me that didn’t know you.”

“You still remember that,” my mentor said with a frown.

It seemed like he was reluctant to think about what he said then.

Actually, I felt embarrassed about it as well. If my mentor had not recognized me, I was sure that I would have had a breakdown on the spot. Perhaps I would have even physically fallen apart.

However, I needed to know the answer to this question, no matter what it took

“Then, do you have the courage to meet a version of you king that doesn’t know who you are?”

“……”

He didn’t respond immediately.

“You’ve probably already made mental preparations for that, right? You said something on the Rail Zeppelin about how you wouldn’t be able to repay the happiness of having those memories, even if you spent your entire life. But does being prepared mean that you have the courage to do something like that? What does a person have to do to gain that kind of courage?”

I needed courage too, I thought, so I could go and meet my mother again before I figured out exactly what I had to say. So I wouldn’t have to wait for Add and Reines to notice what was on my mind, and could tell them the truth. So I could tell everyone around me that if they were not there, I would be too scared to even fall asleep. What should I do to find that kind of bravery?

For a moment, there was only the sound of the clacking of keys.

I would wait. Though I didn’t think of myself as a patient person, sometimes, I could wait for something, no matter how long it took.

Finally,

“Since I’ve given up on taking part in the Fifth Holy Grail War, I won’t get to meet him again anyway.”

With those words as an opening statement, he held onto the cigarette with his fingers.

Gray smoke drifted up toward the ceiling. As it did, my mentor spoke in a low voice.

“But… I’ve still thought about what I’d say to him if some kind of miracle did happen. So no, I don’t have the courage to do that,” he said with a slight smile. “However, if a day like that really came, regardless of whether I have the courage to or not… I hope I can be someone who can walk up even though I’ll say the wrong thing. …That’s all I have to say.”

His somewhat embarrassed expression was reflected in my heart.

The overly sincere look in his eyes even made me feel troubled.

Everything from Add’s true form to the Clock Tower and Heartless seemed distant in that moment, and all my attention was focused on the comb in my hands.

I knew very well that this time would not last.

Because both my mentor and I knew that, just like the Holy Grail War, this series of events centered around the Clock Tower was about to reach its final act.
    -End of Epilogue of Book 7-

US Friend Code
    Thanks so much for your work translating these two volumes! I really enjoyed them, especially when for a while there I was concerned stuff post-Rail Zeppelin would never been in English. There's definitely some scenes in this I'd love to see in a season 2 of the anime, probably mostly the part with the Avalon temple rising out of the swamp.

Adventures volume 3
    I wonder if Add acting up at the end of the newest book is related to how Logos React would be asleep for "the next couple of years". I wonder if it's waking back up in 2007.

Moments like that between Gray and Waver are always pretty touching, the volume as a whole was pretty interesting, thank you for the translation Az!

Quote Originally Posted by Reign View Post
    Adventures volume 3
    I wonder if Add acting up at the end of the newest book is related to how Logos React would be asleep for "the next couple of years". I wonder if it's waking back up in 2007.
    Well, you'll find out about that soon!(By soon I mean in maybe half a year... hopefully I'll get to the end of the Grand Roll books in around that time)

Or I guess you could read the type-moon wiki entry on Add but that's a spoiler and this is bad advice.

Hi! The afterword and stuff will be here sometime in the future. In the meantime:

Cover+other images for book 8

The cover (TN: They keep getting redder and redder. Also, is it just me, or does Adashino look like she got a haircut?)

The characters! From left to right and bottom to top, Asheara Mystras, a member of the Secret Autopsy Division; Calugh Ithred, a member of the Secret Autopsy Divison, Lord El-Melloi II, the Lord of the Department of Modern Magecraft of the Clock Tower; Gray, the disciple of Lord El-Melloi II; Inorai Valualeta Atroholm, the Lord of the Department of Creation, Olgamarie Asmleit Animusphere; the daughter of the Lord of the Department of Astromancy of the Clock Tower; McDonell Trambelio Elliot(TN: Hold on a second I thought his last name was Elrond/エルロンド. I’m not seeing things, right? It says Elliot/エリオット on that, right? In the book his middle name is Elrodエルロッド, but they only mention it once so EVERY TIME IT COMES UP IT’S DIFFERENT), Lord of the Department of General Fundamentals; Rufleus Nuada-Re Eulyphis, the Lord of the Department of Spiritual Evocation.

屍鬼 Ghoul
    Quote Originally Posted by azwhoisverybored View Post
    does Adashino look like she got a haircut?
    My man, there is no Adashino on the cover.
    Quote Originally Posted by azwhoisverybored View Post
    Hold on a second I thought his last name was Elrond/エルロンド. I’m not seeing things, right? It says Elliot/エリオット on that, right? In the book his middle name is Elrodエルロッド, but they only mention it once so EVERY TIME IT COMES UP IT’S DIFFERENT)
    Not sure where Elrond comes from, but Elliot is probably a mistake in the older version of the book. I have Elrod (エルロッド) consistently over the the entire thing, including that image.

US Friend Code
    I think that's Touko, not Adashino

Quote Originally Posted by HattoriKei View Post
    Not sure where Elrond comes from, but Elliot is probably a mistake in the older version of the book. I have Elrod (エルロッド) consistently over the the entire thing, including that image.
    I edited that into his wiki page like 3 years ago to see if people would actually start calling him that, but he's just too irrelevant to come up orz

Explanation and Afterword:
    Explanation:

By Hikaru Sakurai

(TN: Like last time, everything enclosed in brackets, unless marked as a Translator’s Note, was originally written there in brackets.)

Magecraft |meɪdʒkrɑːft| (TN: alternatively, majutsu)

A mysterious art capable of enrapturing someone’s mind.
    ——Shin Meikai Kokugo Jiten(TN: the new clear Japanese dictionary?), Second Edition

A method of performing wonders with the help of supernatural beings or mystical powers.
    ——Encyclopedia Nipponica

A mysterious, magical art used to bewitch the minds of people. Sorcery. Magic.
    ——Nihon Kokugo Daijiten(TN: also known as the Shogakukan’s Japanese Dictionary)

Though it is defined as this in modern times, in the past, knowledge was also magecraft.

Back in the distant past, in an age where our ancestors lived, the knowledge and skills to perform prayers and rituals was a type of magecraft.

Before the advent of modern science, discoveries and inventions were part of a mage’s power and value, something that they could not reveal to the rest of the world.

In ancient Sumer, Egypt, India, China, and the Mediterranean (mainly in Greece), it was said that mages would keep their techniques secret. Through the passing of time, more and more was made public and shown to the world. Eventually, this became science. At the same time, the mystery and intrigue of the study of Mystery was analyzed and taken apart by the self-proclaimed discloser of secrets(TN:?), Éliphas Lévi.

I’m sure that everyone here has already noticed.

Magecraft(TN: Actually more like magic but whatever that doesn’t matter). The concealment of Mystery. All of these are incredibly similar to the “mages” of the universe in this book, a group which includes the main character, Lord El-Melloi II.

Hiding their mystery from the eyes of the public, living a life in the gaps of history and society, and honing their skills. Yes, they are just like those people in real life.

I think that this must have been intentional.

A setting that Mr. Kinoko Nasu intentionally linked with reality as he passionately wrote out and created the worlds of Kara no Kyoukai, Tsukihime, Fate/Stay Night, Mahotsukai no Yoru, and many other works.

We can’t easily see everything in this world, and a whole vast world of hidden truths exist just outside what our eyes can reach.

An astonishing amount of imagination and skill combined with a detailed knowledge of its basis combined to form this, shining brightly with an orthodox style in the firm of a story we call a fantasy novel.

Now, several years after the publication of some of these works, there still exists a story that inherited this fighting style(style).

He is a writer who wrote with a clear intention, a great deal of talent, and a delicate way of weaving words.

That writer’s name was Mr. Sanda Makoto.

As all of you may know, Mr. Sanda Makoto is an author with a long history of writing about magic, from the Rental Magica series to the more recent Cross X Regalia (TN: He also wrote Angels of Death?? That’s surprising). He knows the place that magecraft(TN: Alternatively, magic) occupies between reality and fiction, and sometimes expands the worlds as he interprets them, giving life to the characters that inhabit them. Such is how stories that are that pleasing to read are born.

And that was why it almost seemed inevitable that Mr. Sanda, who is also known as an ally of Mr. Kinoko Nasu, would be the one working on one of the latest works in this universe (“this universe” referring to what Mr. Yuichiro Higashide described in his commentary of the fifth book in this series, the Fate universe, the universe of TYPE-MOON, or what is referred to abroad as the Nasuverse).

Now, in the seventh installment of this series, the fourth case of this story has ended.

What kind of journey would Lord El-Melloi, who had fought and [managed to survive] along with what you could call visitors from the past, and Gray take on next? Would the mystery of this series be revealed at the part of the story we call the end, much like how mystery had been disclosed with the passing of time?

Please await and anticipate the results of Mr. Sanda Makoto’s work, the final case of the Case Files of Lord El-Melloi II, which begins with the end of this book. I trust that he will definitely come up with a satisfying ending. Just like how Éliphas Lévi stepped forward to challenge Mystery, and like how Lord El-Melloi II stepped forward to challenge these cases.

Afterword:

By Sanda Makoto

—Perhaps you could compare it to a promise made long ago. Or a smile of someone that lived only in the memories of others. Is it more of a blessing for memories of the dead to gradually fade, or for them to disappear forever?

Thank you all for your patience. The seventh book of the Case Files of Lord El-Melloi II, the Contract of Atlas(Lower) is now available.

The last volume ended on the reveal of the sinister secrets behind the village, and a new character (who had previously been lurking about throughout the story). I’m sure that there were readers that had eagerly anticipated what would happen next, and so I am more relieved than anyone to be able to release this book.

Just like I wrote of at the end of the last book, this is a story about graveyards and death.

In this context, the graveyards are not just places for the dead to rest. They are places where the living could face the concept of death, assess the way that they lived now, and search for a path for the future. The dead were not just people who had passed from this world, but the thoughts that existed deep inside our hearts.

For that reason, in the story that I have told about Gray’s hometown, Blackmore Graveyard, involves the past, the present, as well as the future. The mystery of this entire series has begun to appear, and I have reread drafts of this book countless times to ensure the order of events,

Besides that, this story does not only tell of graves and death. It also tells the story of the long-awaited dream of the villagers, the ever-present shadow of the Atlas Institute, and the Holy Church that watches over them.

In this village that seems somewhat strange at a glance, the desires and thoughts of all sorts of people and organizations converge, creating a special type of darkness only possible in the TYPE-MOON universe. Perhaps some would call this darkness “madness”, but it is also full of charm… Knowing that a story created with this kind of thought process can be enjoyed by so many of you brings me an incredible amount of joy.
    Well then, the manga version of the Case Files of Lord El-Melloi II, which I brought up in the last book, has finally been serialized on Young Ace! I can’t describe how moved I was when I first received the storyboards from Azuma Tou-sensei! The finished product was even more full of each of the vibes from every mage. The only thing I’m waiting on now is what it will look like once it’s printed.

I would also like to thank Kiyomune Miwa for always helping me and meticulously checking over the magecraft elements, Mineji Sakamoto for creating powerful a beautiful illustrations, Ryogo Narita for checking the lines related to Flat, and everyone at TYPE-MOON, including Kinoko Nasu and OKSG, for supervising and editing the book.

Like I mentioned before in an interview on TYPE-MOON Ace, the plan to make the Case Files of Lord El-Melloi II into a five-part series was made at the very beginning. The first would be an introduction, the second would be to define the “shape” of the story, the third would be the turning point, and the fourth would accelerate the story while reusing some foreshadowing.

Though I say that, this journey didn’t go exactly according to plan.

Along the way, Fate/Grand Order was launched, and the Case Files manga I mentioned also began to be serialized. That’s why the story became far more complicated than I had originally planned, and also gained more meaning. I have spent the better part of a year thinking about how I could develop the characters and world that had been entrusted to me. After scrapping countless plans and painstakingly selecting what guest characters to bring in, the fourth story arc has come to an end.

In the next book, we will finally enter into the last leg of the series. The story of Lord El-Melloi II, Gray, and the students of the El-Melloi classroom will soon come to its conclusion.

I hope that every one of you can see this story to the end. Let us meet again in the summer.

November 2017, while reading the manga version of the Case Files of El-Melloi II
    -End of Afterword of Book 7-

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by HattoriKei View Post
    My man, there is no Adashino on the cover.
    Aack I must be blind then.

I should probably go check the last names again just in case I misread as well

It's book 8 now!

Prologue(A dream)
    A Dream:

(TN: I probably shouldn’t be calling this book Grand Roll Up but it sounds dumb and that’s why it’s staying like that. I debated calling the three books of this arc Grand Roll, Grander Roll, and Grandest Roll, but that’s both stupid and misleading.)

The young man woke up and looked around with a significant degree of difficulty. He was in a narrow alley.

A strong odor drifted into his nostrils, like the smell of rotting garbage. His brain seemed like it had rusted, for though he tried many times to stand up with the wall beside him for support, he kept falling back down to the ground. Even a senile mouse, half-dead in a sewer was probably stronger than he was now.

“…Ha…ha…(TN: heavy breathing, not laughter)”

Even breathing was incredibly hard.

Every cell of his body had lost a large amount of Od. He concentrated all of his energy into controlling his Magic Circuits, like a drowning person fighting to survive. However, his Magic Circuits responded like a faucet that refused to let out more than a few drops of water no matter how hard he tried to wrench it open. Even so, he desperately accumulated Magical Energy, trying to Strengthen himself enough to stand up.

It felt like a long time had passed.

He could have easily dried up and died here, alone with his thoughts. However, he still circulated his Magical Energy with all of his might. That was the only thing he could do now.

Had it been ten minutes, or an hour?

He suddenly looked up.

He felt the sensation of a cold drop of rain hitting his forehead.

It was the light drizzle of London. Though he didn’t see anyone with an umbrella, the rain which fell down like silk made him feel some sort of emotion that was strong, but difficult to describe.

First, these emotions came from the raindrops, but they soon originated from above the young man as well.

“[Why is there a sky…?]”

Ah, that’s why.

He finally understood the situation he was in now.

He was already “outside” now. He had [floated up] to the surface from the labyrinth— No, that separate world he had lived in before.

Rather than feeling joy or excitement, he felt terrified.

What was more, he still couldn’t move his body.

He had probably used up everything he had in that final push to reach the surface. Both his Od and the equipment he had possessed were no longer there. He felt something warm and sticky around his stomach, which was probably blood. He didn’t know how much blood he had lost, but he was certain that he would die if he didn’t do anything about it.

Even so, he needed to stand up.

Even if he could only move one finger, he needed to get out of here.

Otherwise, everything he did would have been for nothing. He wouldn’t be saved. Even if he had to crawl, he needed to start moving.

Just as he made up his mind, someone spoke.

“Are you trying to hide?”

“—!”

A figure stood in a dark corner.

Was it winter now? He thought.

That person wore a dark green jacket over a suit that was the color of the ocean. Pale skin that resembled marble contrasted starkly with flaming red hair, making the man’s appearance difficult to forget.

Though he was so close to the man, he could not sense a trace of life from him. Spooked, the young man reflexively tossed out the sacrificial dagger from his belt. The small blade with moonlight stored inside it had been strengthened, and he was confident that it would be able to cut through iron like it was warm butter. He poured all of the Magical Energy that he had worked so hard to gather and stabbed upward with it.

The other person calmly looked down at the blade in his hands.

“Hm. Unfortunately, that isn’t quite enough to kill me.”

“…O-oh.”

The dagger stopped at the surface of the jacket.

He knew that this was probably some kind of defensive magecraft. However, he could not figure out how it worked. But regardless of whether the other person solidified the air or changed the direction of the force, that man a much more skilled mage than himself.

“I am the head of the Department of Modern Magecraft(Norwich), after all.”

This sentence sent a shiver down his spine.

He knew that it was the only department out of the twelve main subjects that didn’t have a Lord. Because of its lack of history, nobody from a prominent branch family of the Lords was willing to take control of it.

If that was the case, whatever trick he pulled out of his sleeve, he wouldn’t be able to do anything against his opponent as just a random New Age student.

No, it wasn’t just that.

The young man had completely lost control of his entire body.

He desperately tried to activate his Magic Circuits again, but he could not. It felt like every one of his nerves had been carefully removed.

The red-haired man looked calmly down at the frozen young man.

“You’re a Survivor, aren’t you? And not the regular kind, either.” Knowing that the young man who he spoke to wouldn’t be able to respond, the man smiled a wry smile. “That didn’t even require deductive reasoning. Your clothes look too outdated.”

Hearing the man point that out, the young man felt a wave of terror.

He did not expect that. Though he knew that the world above the surface was a completely different place, he never thought that even the clothing would be so different.

“Besides, I can sense the disorderly Magical Energy of the labyrinth(Albion). After all, the appearance of cracks(Portals) is very rare.”

The man raised an arm covered by his jacket sleeve.

Though the young man didn’t know what kind of magecraft the other person would use, he knew that his consciousness could be easily wiped out by it.

It had taken him so much effort to get here. Everything, and the ideals of his companions would disappear, and lose their meaning.

No. That was the only thing that he could not bear. Just the thought of that alone was far scarier than death. It didn’t matter if his eyes were gouged out or if he was torn into pieces, he would not fall here, before he achieved anything—

“Ugh…ah…”

A sound managed to escape his paralyzed lips.

The man who called himself the head of a department had probably weakened the spell so that he could speak properly. Even so, his Magic Circuits could not function properly, and his Spell could not take effect. There was still nothing he could do.

There was only a searing impulse at his throat.

“————————————!”

He shouted, losing himself.

He didn’t remember what he shouted. All he knew was that in that moment, he had impulsively shouted something that carried the meaning of every crude and pathetic word he wanted to shout, as a foolish person who had not gotten anywhere.

However.

That final moment did not arrive.

The young man looked up. Only then did he realize that he could move his body again.

“You’re not here to capture me?”

“Oh, so that’s what you thought.” A somewhat troubled expression appeared on the man’s face. It was an expression that seemed to say that he wasn’t sure what he was doing either.

“Why?” The young man looked at his own hand, and asked.

He didn’t get to finish his question.

The red-haired man had already turned around.

“Follow me.”

He didn’t know why, but he didn’t want to resist. If that man wanted to do so, then he would have been perfectly capable of compelling the young man to follow the order, but he was walking of his own free will.
    As the two people walked, the young man’s gaze darted around the town.

It was a beautiful town.

Stone bricks that looked like they were moistened by the light of the moon were arranged in an orderly fashion on the ground, and brick buildings that were both unique and fit together into a cohesive skyline lined the streets. Though some elements seemed contradictory, the history of the town had probably caused this peculiar scene.

The word Soho had been written on a signboard, signifying that this was the Soho area of London. He recalled that this name had been derived from a hunting cry. However, he never thought that the city that he was walking through right now would be so different from the one that he had learnt about in the past. At the same time, realizing that the “ceiling” of that world was so colorful and bright inexplicably gave him a pained feeling.

“…The wind blowing from the Thames river is colder than I expected.” In the young man’s memory, the name that the man mentioned referred to the river that flowed through the city of London. The wind blowing down the street was, indeed, quite strong. It was also snowing, and the small white shards that caught the light of the streetlights reminded him of the pollen that he would sometimes come across in the labyrinth. They passed by many people in the flurry of snowflakes, and though many people cast suspicious glances at him, they walked by without incident while humming tunes on ale-filled breaths, as if thinking that this was a common occurrence in this area. (TN: Ah yes, this kid who probably has a gaping stomach wound that’s leaking blood. That’s no cause for concern at all!)

It was difficult for the young man to believe that none of these people were mages.

“Never seen one before?”

“Of course I’ve… No, I haven’t.”

The young man gave up denying in the middle of his sentence and nodded reluctantly.

“I’ve seen images… but underground… there’s no such thing as night. In order to increase sleep and productivity, sometimes the light levels will be adjusted… but that’s all there is.”

“So you’ve spent quite a while there after you went down.”

“No.” This time, the young man shook his head. “I didn’t go down there. I was born there.”

“Oh.”

There was a trace of surprise in the man’s voice for the first time.

“I’ve spoken with a few Survivors before, but this is the first time I’ve met someone who was born in the labyrinth. I see, so that’s why you reacted that way,” the man muttered, without turning to look at him.

Though he seemed somewhat surprised, the man in the coat was still calm and composed. With how weak the young man was, it was impossible for him to escape. Though he wasn’t particularly scared of where the man would bring him, he didn’t have a choice but to go there.

They continued to walk between the roads and streetlamp until the man stopped in front of a rectangular building.

“Is this… a flat?”

“Yes. The Department of Modern Magecraft doesn’t have as much money as the other departments do, and there isn’t someone powerful backing it up either, so we can’t afford mansions to live in.”

After he said that, he opened the door.

The young man lost consciousness there. Just as he was climbing up the creaking spiral staircase, he passed out.
    The next morning, the warm sunlight made the young man sit up.

“The sun…” he muttered to himself. Its light was so majestic and bright. It did not exist anywhere underground.

A clean blanket had been placed on top of him, and after he carefully folded it up, he opened the door to the neighboring room. The red-haired man was sitting next to a cylindrical table in the middle of the clean living room.

“Did you sleep well?”

“Uh… yes.”

Though he hadn’t been conscious, that was probably because the quality of the bed was good.

The television in front of the man was playing a news broadcast of recent events. There were places with wired televisions installed underground, too, but he couldn’t tell at a glance if the channels were the same.

The man took out a pocket watch with his slender fingers and pressed down on the French Press on the table. With the steady falling and rising of the plunger, the rich aroma of coffee filled the room.

“Perhaps it’s more typical of a mage to serve guests with alcohol, but I don’t like drinking it, and you’re just in time for coffee. Do you want a cup as well?”

The same aroma also emanated from the cup that he was handed. He carefully accepted it, and took a sip. The bitter drink enveloped his tongue, and then immediately turned into a refreshing smell that tingled his throat. Though he had never been able to properly appreciate the taste of things, he could tell that the coffee was of a very high quality.

It had the taste of something that had been frozen for a long time finally melting away.

He clenched his teeth.

He couldn’t let down his guard yet. The surface world was even more dangerous than the labyrinth for him. He could not lose his composure here.

He swallowed the coffee in his mouth, put the cup back on the table, and spoke after wiping his mouth with his hands.

“Why are you being so nice to me? You know I escaped from the labyrinth using irregular means, so isn’t capturing me the job of a mage of the Clock Tower?”

“Wait,” the man sitting across from him said, raising his hand. “I haven’t organized my words to explain the reason to you properly yet. Even if I do explain, there’s no guarantee that what I say won’t be detrimental to you. Since that’s the case, shouldn’t it be better to just leave that question alone?”

Though it was a strange answer, it made it impossible for the young man to ask any further questions. It was true, though, that if the answer ended up getting him captured again, it would be more than a bit of trouble.

Seeing him sink into silence, the man continued to speak.

“If you really wanted me to find a reason, I suppose thirty percent of it is because I think my former teacher would have done it.”

“Your former teacher?”

“Yes. By that, I’m referring to Mr. Norwich, who is often called the Daddy-Long-Legs of the Clock Tower. If he comes across anyone who looks promising, he will reach out to help them. By promising, I don’t mean talented. Sometimes, it can be based just on whoever he finds interesting.”

The man poured himself a cup of coffee and picked it up slowly. Staring at the ripples on the surface of the dark liquid, he narrowed his eyes. The young man only realized then that there were traces of light purple mixed into the black irises of his eyes.

“Yes. I only did what someone else did to me once. …Either way, it has nothing to do with kindness. I suppose you could call it something I did on a whim because I was curious.”

Though that still wasn’t a proper answer, for some reason, it was something that the young man could accept. For that reason, he took a deep breath, and spoke.

“Can you take a look at this?”

He took out a small, cloth-wrapped bag from his pocket, and carefully lay its contents onto the table. It looked like something taken out of a child’s collection of “treasure”. There were some crystals, some plants covered in dirt, and some fossils the size of a person’s palm.

“Can I pick them up?”

Seeing his nod, the man slowly began to examine these items.

“This piece of crystallized Magical Energy is around a D rank, and these are some withered Spirit Roots. Judging from the appearance of the finer fibers, it looks like it grew somewhere that was closer to fire. All of these are impossible to find on the surface. These are fragments of Phantasmal Species… Kelpie mane… Phantasmal butterfly scales… Oh, and there are teeth from a juvenile Chimera too. It looks like it was hunted down by some other Phantasmal Species before it could start properly hunting itself, so the surface of the teeth isn’t damaged yet. Wonderful.”

It seemed like he could identify everything on the table at a single glance.

The fact that he managed to analyze the talismans (TN: talisman’s a bad translation for 呪体, because it isn’t like a good luck charm and more of like… just magicky stuff.) that should have been rare above ground amazed the young man. The man would probably be able to survive in the world of Magecraft with this eye for discerning things along.

After carefully looking though everything else the young man had laid out, the man nodded. “Impressive. Everything from the purity of the Mystery and the amount is impeccable. No matter where you sell it, it should give you enough money to buy at least three mansions.”

“Then can you buy it?” The young man asked, after a second of hesitation.

That was what the young man intended on doing. The man was silent for a moment, and he ran his fingers over his red hair with his other hand on his temple.

“Isn’t the Secret Autopsy Division in charge of purchasing items from the labyrinth?” He asked. “Of course, the price shouldn’t be that different from what it would fetch up here. That’s how the division earns money. There are countless people who try to dig up these themselves, but hardly anyone succeeds. I could count on one hand how many entrances there are to the labyrinth, but if you could start a trade directly between the buyers and the excavators in the maze, both would reap huge profits.”

“Then, can you buy—”

“Please allow me to decline that offer.”

“Why!” He said, raising his voice without noticing it.

In response, the man took another sip of coffee, and then responded calmly.

“Like I said last night, the Department of Modern Magecraft doesn’t have as much money or power as the other departments too. Even if I suddenly received these talismans, I wouldn’t have the equipment to utilize them properly, nor the means to deal with what would happen if we were targeted because of it. I don’t think breaking the rules necessarily deserves to be condemned, but for me, the risks outweigh the benefits here.”

“……”

The risks outweighed the benefits.

The young man quickly returned the talismans on the table to the bag and bowed his head.

“Thank you. I’ll never forget your help.”

His face felt like it was burning. He felt ashamed for not considering what would be beneficial for the other person. Just as he turned around to leave, a steady voice stopped him.

“Wait. …Take this with you.”

The man took out a book, and wrote something down on it with a fountain pen. It was a checkbook.

What made the young man even more surprised was that the sum that he had expected was written there.

“What… Didn’t you say that you couldn’t buy it?”

“Indeed. Purchasing the talismans would be incredibly risky, but that is a judgement only limited to this point in time. If you continue to come by, I might reconsider it. Like I said before, nobody has managed to illegally excavate in the labyrinth. However, though I don’t know how you managed it, you did so. If that’s the case, don’t you have quite some potential?”

The man had a strange expression, like the fusion of that of an uncooperative politician and a sincere scientist.

The young man looked over the man and the check on the table, sinking into silence.

After a while, he asked a question out of the blue.

“Then why don’t you imprison me here now, and use torture or something to try and find out how I left the labyrinth? That’s what a mage would do, right?”

Though he had always been afraid that this would happen, he couldn’t stop himself from asking about it now.

Otherwise, he felt like he couldn’t make himself accept the check that he wanted so desperately.

Hearing his question, the red-haired man let out a somewhat annoyed sigh.

“I must have picked up on Norwich’s bad habits. In other words, once I find something interesting, I can’t help but want to see what happens next. I’ve always thought my teacher was strange, but that family’s been that way for generations,” the man said as the steam of the coffee swirled around him. “Think of it as an investment. That check comes with conditions attached, so if you’re able to come here again—”

The young man would never forget what came after that. Those words changed the course of his entire life, connecting the lives of these two people.

“—let me take you in as my student.”

A silence settled over the room.

The young man’s hand shook slightly.

In order to not spill his drink, he held the cup with both of his hands and violently downed some coffee. He waited for the complex, bitter taste to reawaken his brain. He tried as hard as he could to suppress whatever emotions began to well up in his heart and analyze the request calmly, but he soon gave up.

He didn’t know what the proper etiquette was for this kind of situation. In order to appear as respectful as possible, he bowed his head.

“Can you tell me your name, [Sir]?”

He had switched to honorific speech completely subconsciously.

“Dr. Heartless. You can call me Doctor or Heartless, too. Whatever you prefer.”

And just like that, the man gave his name.
    “……”

At that moment, [she] woke up.

It felt like she had dreamed for a long time. No, that was an inaccurate way to describe it. However, the feeling that remained in her body wasn’t that different from the feeling of waking up in her past life. It was just that she would not have been able to see [other people’s] dreams before.

She sat up, reached out to take the bottle of wine on her bedside counter, and poured some into a glass.

She had drank a cup yesterday night already. It had tasted very sharp then, but overnight, it had softened perfectly in the air. The gentle fruity aroma combined with the tannin left a bittersweet taste on her tongue, like the impression she had of a beautiful dancer from a faraway land who she had met once, before fading into darkness.

She recalled that it was red wine imported from Spain, but the knowledge of the modern world she had been gifted with did not, unfortunately, contain detailed knowledge of enology. Being summoned was a rare occurrence, so why couldn’t this sort of information be given out as an added extra?

It wasn’t just the bottle of wine itself. The entire room was infused with the scent of matured grapes.

It seemed that this hiding place had been converted from an underground wine cellar. Modern wine seemed to be more complex in flavor, and she could glimpse into a corner of the wonderful variety of wines just by staying in this room.

She liked how it had evolved.

The boons of our god seem to still be thriving in this age, she thought.

That god’s name was Dionysus, the god of wine and abundance, beloved in certain regions in and around Greece, such as Macedonia. His name meant “young Zeus” (TN: that is an interpretation of the name suggested by Jane Ellen Harris. Other interpretations include ‘the god of Mount Nysa’ and ’the son of Zeus’), he had many secretive cults and was adored by the people in many lands.

The queen that she had once served (Olympias) was one such follower.

She tinkered with the Magical Energy that derived from the god Dionysus, becoming a mage of the Age of the Gods, serving the great king Iskandar. Those were tales of her past life, or what could be called her youth.

She had never thought that she would become a Servant, and return to this miserable world once more.

“…Ah, I wish I stayed dead,” she uttered.

If she had stayed dead, she wouldn’t have had to be involved in this nonsense. She wouldn’t have found out that her former comrades had started a war with the successors(diadochi). There was no need to lament the incompetence of herself and her brother, since they had died before they could make a difference.

Though she said that, she didn’t detest the mage that summoned her. She just felt empty inside realizing that the promise she made had been for nothing.

“……”

She shifted her gaze toward the rest of the room.

Old wooden barrels and stills were stacked in every corner.

The red-haired man simply stood there, as if he hadn’t heard what she just said to herself. Both the blue coat and the ageless face were just the same as she had seen in the dream.

“Master.”

Saying that word gave her a strange feeling.

In the past, there were only three people she served. Her brother, her king, and the person that had created her, Olympias.

And now, she had not sworn her loyalty like before. Her relationship with her Master was simply a contract that involved magecraft, a mutually beneficial trade. It was only temporary.

Dr. Heartless. The former head of the Department of Modern Magecraft. Looking at his back, she raised the bottle of wine and spoke.

“Do you want a glass, Master?”

“Like I said before, I don’t like drinking alcohol.”

“Hmph. You’re not drinking, simply because you don’t want to? That’s a strange reason to decline such a fine glass of wine.”

Whatever. If he didn’t want any, she could have all of it for herself. She lackadaisically poured more wine into the glass.

These are the blessings of our illustrious gods, she thought, somewhat drunkenly.

She closed her eyes and let the aroma settle before she looked toward Heartless again.

She still did not understand how this person lived. Though she had thought that his peculiar personality was just how all the mages of this age were like, she had recently began to realize that it might just be because he wasn’t good at getting along with other people.

He reminded her of that thin mage, as well as Eumenes.

She thought back to the Lord she had fought on the Rail Zeppelin, Lord El-Melloi. Though that unremarkable mage with a displeased expression and a cigar in his mouth interacted with all the people around him, he didn’t seem to be happy about it. He was probably admired by his students, too.

What an infuriating person.

That third-rate(TN: the fact that he calls himself ‘second-rate’ while everyone else calls him ‘third rate’) mage had not only dared to summon her king as a Servant, he had arrogantly claimed to be his follower. He was a fool who had barged into the dream of the world’s most glorious king.

“…It’s a bit bitter. ”

“Is it? I don’t think it should have a corked(TN: Basically when the cork in a wine bottle causes bacteria growth).”

“It doesn’t. My emotions are just affecting the taste of the wine(TN: So like, the polar opposite of Reines). I guess that’s something that doesn’t change, even though I’ve become a Servant.”

She tilted her wine glass back and forth.

The candlelight coming from the corner of the room spilled across onto the wine, dissolving in the velvety hue. Though it was much more exquisite than the wine she had drank while she was still alive, wine was still wine, and she could sense the brewer’s pride in every drop of it.

She recalled the days when she would have long conversations with the king and warriors who had fought countless battles.

She sighed.

“Servants don’t dream,” she said.

“…So I’ve heard.”

“…Dreaming is the privilege of the living. No matter where we are, we are only fragments of the heroes of the past, a temporary record that that just happens to be playing.”

What she spoke was an irrefutable truth. Though “Heroic Spirit” was a fancy title, at the same time, it also meant that they did not belong to the present.

“But I just had a strange hallucination. Were those your memories?”

“……”

Her Master did not reply.

It was just as she expected, so she didn’t mind it too much and averted her eyes. She just wanted to talk about it. However, if it was one of her Master’s memories, the perspective of the dream was confusing, but since she was only a temporary guest, it wasn’t anything she needed to dwell on.

She wasn’t even of a proper Class for a Grail War, but a Faker, an extra Class that Heartless had created himself. It was only natural that some mugs would exist.

However.

Something managed to reach her ears.

“Who’s the real Survivor, I wonder?”

As a Heroic Spirit, she did not miss the whispered words, but she could not understand their meaning.

Heartless was buried in his work once again. There was a map on the wall in front of him, which was made of vellum. It depicted a sideways London.

Its composition seemed neither ancient nor modern. Beneath the metropolis, a dragon large enough to swallow entire planets had been pictured, preparing to burrow even deeper into the earth.
    -End of Prologue of Book 8-

Amazing! Thank you so much!
    Is it possible to make an epub or a google docs version of volume 5, please?

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle All fictions's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Volume 5 is done by TwilightsCall and is incomplete so it doesn't make sense to make a epub of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    Punching out some nerd doesn't make you a better magus.

Chapter 1, Part 1
    Chapter 1, Part 1:

“All classes taught by Lord El-Melloi II will be suspended for the next month. During this period of time, all the Modern Magecraft classes taught by him will be taken over by second-grade lecturer Shardan.”

Yesterday, this notice had been posted on the bulletin board, signed with my mentor’s name.

Of course, this news caused a great uproar among the students, and immediately after the notice was posted, a horde of students, including the informal students who usually took up seventy percent of the people, had barged into my mentor’s office, but by this time, he had already disappeared without a trace from Slur Street and the headquarters at the Clock Tower. He hadn’t told the other instructors where and why he had gone, so all the students could do was return, defeated, to the classes which had been delayed for a couple of hours.

Today, the dissent had not subsided, and though the classes went on as usual, the students still discussed amongst themselves. They seemed to settle on the conclusion of sending out teams all over the place to look for him. Since there wasn’t usually this much commotion when he went on field investigations, they must have noticed that something was different.

One day, in one of the buildings in the Clock Tower’s headquarters, a horde of students came up to Mr. Shardan as he was leaving and began to talk to him.

“He’s not at Druid Street, and the familiar we put there didn’t see anyone relevant entering or leaving.”

“He isn’t that good at concealment magecraft, so that means he can’t be there. If Mr. Melvin or someone else helped him hide, though… Ah, sorry. My automatic notes haven’t gathered anything either. Oh, would Svin-kun be able to find him?”

“Flat and Svin haven’t been coming to school since two days ago.”

“They’ve run off somewhere, haven’t they?”

“What about Disciple-chan?”

“Nope. People have seen her, but if you get close, she runs away immediately. That girl’s too good at strengthening. If we really wanted to catch her, we need to prepare some leopard spirits and runes to make a trap. I’m getting some catalysts for spiritual invocation ready, but it’ll take three days.”

“Ah…She’s a lot harder to deal with…! If we’re really going to do that, I need to dig up all the artifacts I have stored in the shed…”

They sounded like members of some kind of supernatural detective agency. If all the students of the El-Melloi Classroom really put their mind to it, perhaps they would be able to solve a few dozen missing persons cases. They might even “create” new missing people like Dr. Frankenstein.

A group of rowdy students walked through the dormitory corridor.

After they left, I carefully reemerged from the pillar I had been hiding behind. Because I had held my breath for too long, I could feel my lungs hurting, so I slowly prepared to breathe in.

“Gray-chan!”

“…!”

My shoulders were trembling in shock. Holding my breath, I turned around to see a girl with twin pink ponytails staring down at me.

“It’s me!”

“Miss Yvette.”

Yvette L. Lehrman.

The self-proclaimed spy of the Neutral Faction, who called herself the Mystic-Eyed girl, and was outspoken about becoming my mentor’s mistress.

“Hurry up, come on!” Yvette said, gesturing for me to follow her.

Her eyes narrowed in happiness as she saw me tiptoe over.

“Oh, how nice of him! (TN: Alternatively, ‘our dear teacher is both lovable and hatable/really is clever’ I can’t understand what Yvette’s saying half the time so please take this with a spoonful or two of salt) Although the message’s sent through Disciple-chan, the only one he can trust is Yvette!”

“Because you can’t hide anything from Yvette’s eye and Svin’s nose… he said.”

“The right thing to say would have been ‘because you’re trustworthy!’ Or ‘I can't get my mind off of your glamorous body, so let's have a one-night love adventure’! Hurry up and express your true feelings, Sir!”

The young woman walked in front of me, eyes sparkling with her delusions.

We turned around the corner of the corridor, and after checking that no other students were nearby, she took a thick envelope.

“Here, the files I mentioned earlier.”

“Thank you so much!”

There was a large number of stapled documents in the envelope.

My mentor had told me that these findings were essential, and that I needed to get them no matter what. They seemed to be information about some people in the Clock Tower, but I couldn’t comprehend the details. Though I said that, they weren’t classified information, so it was easy to get them as long as you asked the right person.

“I did what he said and found information about the Department of Modern Magecraft and the Clock Tower, up to about a hundred years ago. Of course, since I’m a spy, I’ve already given a copy to the Meluastea Faction,” she said, disclosing what she did as a spy without a moment of hesitation. Should I say that this was cunning, or kind of her?

Seeing me nod my head at a loss of what to say, Yvette tilted her head.

“What’s (TN: our teacher? My teacher? Teacher? Sir? One of those) doing now?”

“He’s staying for a couple of days each at the local hotels. He said that he wanted to keep his whereabouts hidden to others as well, not just the members of the El-Melloi Classroom.”

“Hm.” The twin-tailed girl knocked at her temple with her finger. “I can understand the feeling of always being on your guard. The important people in the Clock Tower are always worrying about something or the other. I don’t know much everyone knows, but they can sense it even if you don’t tell them about it. We are all mages, after all,” Yvette said, closing her eyes.

It was probably just like she said. I had been thinking of something similar just then as well. The reason why everyone in the El-Melloi Classroom had made a fuss couldn’t just be because my mentor had disappeared. Because they were all excellent mages, they had probably sensed the dark shadow looming over this city.

My mentor had once said in a lecture that intuition was an indispensable talent for mages. After that, he had, as usual, taken a jab at himself by saying that he wasn’t particularly skilled in this regard.

“So why did he suddenly decide to do this? You should know something about it, right?” Yvette asked, looking at me interestedly as I stood there with an armful of documents.

“That’s because—”

I worried about how much I should reveal to this self-proclaimed spy, and thought back to how this incident had started at the same time. An incident enough to shake the entire Clock Tower.

The memory was from a few days ago—
    We were on the roof of one of London’s skyscrapers.

I had heard that the country had recently taken steps to make skyscrapers more eco-friendly by turning their roofs into gardens and planting trees. Since this place was prone to changing with the times, artificial green spaces popped up left and right, at a rate that could be observed.

This one, however, was different.

I think it is called a tea room.

In a certain sense, to me, this place was stranger than magecraft. In the narrow room, there beautiful shelves lined with vases that seemed to be made of thin strands of wood and bamboo. Though Reines’ mansion was filled with all sorts of furniture of no lesser quality, I was enraptured by the exotic air it gave off.

I was especially shocked by the materials used to build the room itself.

…Had it been made of wood, dirt, and paper?

Everything, from the walls to the pillars and the floor, had been built with these plain materials. I couldn’t help but feel how a history unlike ours had shaped this building.

Suddenly, someone handed me a curved bowl of tea.

Steam rose from the tea, sending a rich aroma into the air. Though the shape of the bowl looked almost distorted, it gave off a somewhat graceful feeling. Or, perhaps you could say that it had been designed this way for this purpose;

“You two can sit more casually if you prefer,” the woman sitting inside the room said. Her brightly-colored kimono was different to the furisode she usually wore. With a soft expression on her ruby-red lips, she continued. “Though it might be easier for you to stand, I really would like you to enjoy this rare atmosphere.”

“Oh… Alright.”

According to her, it had already been simplified a lot, but it was still close to the limit of what I could understand, because I wasn’t smart. I didn’t manage to properly savor of the tea she had recommended to me, either. Didn’t she say that you needed to make a noise on purpose when you drank the tea?

Just as I desperately tried to remember what I was supposed to do, the person beside me spoke.

“—Hishiri Adashino.”

Unlike me, who followed the suggestion to relax a bit, he still sat perfectly straight.

With the bowl of tea in his hands, he slowly looked up at the other mage.

It was the female mage of the Department of Law, Hishiri Adashino. She was the one who had invited us to this tea room. Over the course of all the cases that had happened, we had been involved with— and sometimes, even opposed each other many times.

Her silhouette resembled a blooming flower.

However, this flower was definitely covered in thorns.

“I am grateful that you have introduced us to a Japanese tea ceremony, but isn’t it time to tell us why you have called us here?” My mentor asked, looking straight into her eyes.

“Impatient, aren’t you?” Hishiri muttered, with a displeased expression. “I heard that you’ve just been to Wales.”

What she was referring to was obvious. She was talking about my hometown.

In that village, my mentor had met the director of the Atlas Institute, Zepia Eltnam Atlasia, and had uncovered the events surrounding King Arthur and I. Though the answer had revealed my stupidity, knowing that the village had showed me kindness as well made me feel as if a heavy weight had been removed from my chest.

“It wasn’t something that would concern the Department of Law.”

“You must be joking,” the woman said, with a laugh that sounded like the ringing of bells. “It’s quite troubling(TN: Is that the right word?) to hear you say that after meeting the director of the Atlas Institute as well as an Executor of the Holy Church. Recently, I’ve heard some say that the Department of Modern Magecraft is overstepping its authority.”

“Is that all?” My mentor replied briefly.

Though it sounded like a provocation, no emotions like that really passed through the two of them. To them, it was just a confirmation of an assumption that had been made.

Was this what conversations between the Department of Law, which guarded the order of the Clock Tower, and the Lords that represented the Clock Tower itself were like?

With a loud sipping noise, my mentor finished his tea. I had heard that making this noise was part of proper etiquette, and though I found it surprising, I still carefully did as I was told.

Hishiri looked at us and continued.

“On top of that, the reason I have invited you here is, of course, to talk about my brother, Dr. Heartless.”

It took a lot of effort for me to stop my shoulders from trembling. That name held many meanings for me.

“I’ve heard that my brother was involved in that case.”

“Yes.”

My mentor nodded.

I recalled that Hishiri called Heartless her brother because they were both the adoptive children of Norwich. My mentor had said that he was the person who funded the Department of Modern Magecraft, like the Daddy-Long-Legs of the Clock Tower. From that perspective, he must also be someone with a deep connection to my mentor.

It was a fate that was difficult to evade.

The thought that everything had been decided long ago appeared in my mind.

Either way, my mentor narrowed his eyes at what Hishiri had to say.

“There were indeed traces of Heartless in Wales. It seemed that that was a place well-suited to his experiments. Would you mind if I didn’t go into the details?”

“If you could, I’d rather you tell me about the supposed details.” As she said this, Hishiri gently took out an envelope from her kimono.

“This is?”

“Something that you can use as a reference when you decide to do something from your position as a Lord.”

My mentor picked up the envelope.

“I get the feeling that the purpose of this to make me act in a way that would benefit you, Lady.”

“The feeling is mutual,” Hishiri said, with an air of indifference. “My brother used the Fifth Holy Grail War to summon a Servant.”

“……”

My mentor did not respond.

That was what had happened on the Rail Zeppelin. Hishiri had been on that train when Heartless summoned that Servant, too.

That is to say, the fake Heroic Spirit(Faker). An Extra Class(out of the ordinary), made for the purpose of summoning the shadow warrior of a hero who carved his name into history. Though her name had not been revealed, she had accompanied the hero, and may leave a greater mark on the world than the hero himself.(TN: I think this talks about Servants of the Class of Faker in general, but I guess it’s not wrong to apply it to this specific Faker, either)

Normally, even the most talented mages would not be able to summon this kind of Heroic Spirit.

However, Heartless seemed to have used the spell of the imminent Fifth Holy Grail War, connected the Ley Lines of Japan to those of London, and manipulated a Subcategory Holy Grail as well as the Magical Energy of Dead Apostles. By stacking the phenomena caused by these, he had achieved the impossible.

For that reason, my mentor had decided to stay in London and not participate in the Fifth Holy Grail War.

“I’ve heard that several Servants of the Fifth Holy Grail War have already been summoned. I suppose it won’t take much longer for all seven to be gathered. When that happens, according to the information available about the wars in the past, it should be over in around two weeks.”

“Wars in the past” probably included the Holy Grail War my mentor had taken part in. It seemed that the Department of Law even had precise information about rituals in the Far East.

“Though Heartless used a Subcategory Holy Grail that he created himself to summon and maintain that Servant, it will inevitably be influenced by the original. This is evidenced by the fact that he chose a time before the Fuyuki Holy Grail War for the summoning. That is to say, once the Holy Grail War reaches its final stage, Faker will disappear. If that is the case, there is no doubt that Heartless will take action soon, yes?”

“No,” my mentor said, calmly denying what Hishiri said. “I’m afraid his plan is already underway.”

Hishiri did not react immediately to his words. She still sat there, like an austere flower brought to England from the Far East. Our words and emotions were all enveloped in her soft flower petals. Perhaps this, too, was a mystery of the East.

“Do you have any clues about it?”

“Please check the contents of the envelope first,” Hishiri said, gesturing to the envelope she had just brought out.

My mentor opened it as she said, eyed what was inside, and immediately frowned.

“…What? It isn’t time for that yet. Not only have I not been informed, what are they trying to decide by calling one now?”

“I wasn’t told the reason behind the timing either. Of course, the higher-ups must have their own considerations,” the woman from the Department of Law said evenly. “I suppose you’ll receive a formal invitation in the next couple of days. I think bringing you a few extra days of time would be enough to trade for some information about my brother, Heartless.”

“……”

My mentor was silent.

This time, it lasted a lot longer because of what he just saw. His lips trembled slightly, but his eyes were fixed on the contents of the envelope.

“What’s the matter, Sir?” I couldn’t help but ask.

After a while, my mentor looked up.

“Miss Adashino.”

“I don’t mind. Isn’t that why you brought your disciple here? (TN: You mean, to provide a reason to give exposition?)” The woman said.

“—Have you heard the term Grand Roll before?” My mentor asked in a low voice.

I hadn’t.

However, I did recall hearing the word Grand before. I had the impression that it was the rank that had been granted to that puppeteer, Touko Aozaki, signifying the highest status in the world of magecraft.

To this, my mentor spoke with a bitter expression.

“It’s a meeting between multiple Lords and their representatives, to assess a situation across departments and factions. You can think of it as the highest decision-making body in the Clock Tower. For the El-Melloi Faction, the most important thing is…”

“…Yes, for the El-Melloi Faction, the most important thing was that the Department of Mineralogy(Kischur) was taken away from them in the last meeting,” Hishiri added with a smile. “It was decided in the Grand Roll after that that the El-Melloi Faction would take over the Department of Modern Magecraft. Although, that one was only a process to mediate the controversy caused by the last decision, so there weren’t many Lords present.”

“……”

I was suddenly at a loss for words.

This matter was too deeply correlated with both my mentor and the El-Melloi Classroom.

“This woman(TN: calling Adashino that might be a Sherlock Holmes reference…? Either way it’s still really weird) just told me that another Grand Roll will be held soon.”

My heart suddenly began to pound violently.

For some reason, I had got the feeling that what was coming would finally come.

I think that was because I already knew. It was like the finals in a tournament.

I had a vague feeling that even if he didn’t take part in the Fifth Holy Grail War, what my mentor needed to face had come—
    -End of Part 1 of Chapter 1, Book 7-

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle All fictions's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    I probably should have mentioned this before, but you can use ruby text on this forum, that is, have a word above another word like in Japanese to show the actual meaning.

For example:

PHP Code:
    [Ruby=Faker]fake Heroic Spirit[/Ruby
    Gives:
    Faker
    fake Heroic Spirit

So you don't have to put them in parenthesis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    Punching out some nerd doesn't make you a better magus.