Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4789101114 ... LastLast

Thread: Lord El-Melloi II's Case Files Translation, Starting From Book 6

Chapter 1, Part 2
    Chapter 1, Part 2:

—And now, back to the present.

After leaving the dormitories, I boarded the Tube.

Like I had been told, in order to avoid being followed, I chose the more crowded roads after I got off. I then walked from busy Kingsway and into Keeley Street, and continued walking in the cold wind blowing from the Thames.

London in winter looked like a city that had sunk to the bottom of the ocean.

Instead of being cold, it felt more like it was being buried underneath an ever-thickening layer of history. The mounted policemen that passed by once in a while reinforced this feeling.

I didn’t know why, but when I saw cars, bicycles, and horses all waiting neatly at a traffic light, it made me feel kind of proud, as if I was standing in somebody else’s footsteps.

…That’s probably a weird thing to say.

I recalled that I used to only feel fear toward this city.

I was had always been scared of all the people and history in this place. Seeing hundreds and thousands of people get consumed by giant gray buildings every day looked like they were being carried to an ancient necropolis.

However, now, it was different.

After only a few months, the past seemed more like a faraway dream.

In the face of such a drastic change, I still felt pretty calm. That must signal the end of something, too, I thought.

A meaningless pain pierced my chest.

At the same time, I stopped walking.

I tried to walk through the back door as inconspicuously as possible, and rode the elevator to my destination.

It was the hotel room I had told Yvette about.

The room was quite spacious, but if word got out to other people in the Clock Tower that a Lord was staying in a room this plain, their jaws would be dropping all over the floor. There was a cheap-looking sofa and a bed in the room, as well as a table and an old television set with a Bible put on top of it.

However, two blond teenagers that didn’t look like they belonged there sat on the corner couch that had been repaired with tape.

“Welcome back, Gray—!”

“Don’t you dare approach Gray-tan like that!”

Flat cheerfully stuck out his head from behind the sofa while Svin held him down with an elbow, panting.

Ah yes, the twin juggernauts of the El-Melloi Classroom. (TN: the sentence should probably be read in a significantly less sarcastic way, but I think this works too)

“I’m just expressing my care for another member of the El-Melloi Classroom, like I do all the time! It would be mean to exclude Gray from that!”

“I-I never told you to exclude her!”

“Look! You’ve made Gray all upset!”

“N-n-n-no, I didn’t mean to! Gray-tan, I…”

“…Haha.”

I couldn’t help but laugh, because it was impossible not to, seeing Svin flail his arms around while looking between me and Flat.

“It’s alright, I understand. Even though Svin-kun might be distancing himself from me, he doesn’t want to exclude me.”

“T-that’s not what…”

The teenager was interrupted by a clap.

“Alright, that’s enough messing around,” came another voice inside the room. “We’ve been switching places constantly in the past couple of days, so there’s no way to settle down properly at all. Especially you, Svin. Are you the sort of person who can’t fall asleep on the wrong bed? Isn’t that something dogs tend to do?”

“Don’t compare me to a dog!”

“My apologies. I just can’t help but poke fun at people.”

Admitting to that readily was very much in her style. Reines sat on one of the better-maintained chairs and looked up from the book she was flipping through. The mercury maid, Trimmau, stood beside her as usual, preparing some black tea. There were some desserts on the table, and the aroma of tea combined with that of butter and sugar, transforming the area around her into a wonderful space. Perhaps this was some sort of Bounded Field, too.

“Gray, did Yvette give you the information?”

“Oh, um, yes. Here.”

As I reported on what I had learned, I handed the envelope Yvette had given me to her.

“Haha, looks like I’m going to have some work to do.” As she said that, she closed one of her eyes.

“So the theme really is the Grand Roll, right? But the issue they’re discussing doesn’t necessarily have something to do with the El-Melloi Faction…”

Of course, I didn’t think that the relationship between the two could be ignored.

However, Hishiri Adashino had not brought up the reason why they decided to call such a meeting. As far as I knew, the El-Melloi Faction had not made any decisive mistakes. Though I didn’t think my mentor and Reines were working in vain, I couldn’t really see why it was so important.

Hearing my words, Reines frowned slightly, and leaned back in her chair.

“No, the situation is just terrible. If we attend the Grand Roll without being sufficiently informed, opposing Lords may make proposals that will deal a fatal blow to the El-Melloi Faction.”

“Why?”

I couldn’t quite grasp how these were related.

Hearing my question, Reines nodded.

“Heartless is the former head of the
    Norwich
    Department of Modern Magecraft
    , isn’t he?”

“…Ah.”

I only realized the obvious connection then, and I felt a bit dizzy from realizing my own stupidity.

“Though we don’t know what plan Dr. Heartless has concocted, he’ll undoubtedly take action in the near future, like Hishiri predicted. Looking at what he did on the Rail Zeppelin and in your hometown, whatever he does will have a significant impact on the world of magecraft.

“Of course, the El-Melloi Faction had nothing to do with all of these things. The only reason why we’re currently in charge of the Department of Modern Magecraft is that we were forced out of the
    Kischur
    Department of Mineralogy
    , and decided to take the empty spot. But that’s not enough to plead innocence in the Clock Tower.” There was a trace of pleasure in the young woman’s words. “Strike the weak. If someone falls into the water, it’s a good chance for others to make sure that they never float back up to the surface. That can be considered the basic ideology for the Clock Tower. There must be tons of people out there who are clenching their teeth, thinking that the El-Melloi Faction should have died out long ago.”

To her, perhaps this was her home.

Fighting the with the ease of someone eating, and trampling others as much as she breathed. That was how she managed to retain her position to this day, a place worth being proud of.

However, to me, it looked somewhat lonely. I felt like I saw her sitting alone atop a throne of ice.

“Would you like another cup of tea?”

“Yes please.”

The young woman took a sip of freshly-poured tea, shrugged, and spoke.

“That’s pretty much why we need to get as much information as possible. It’s impossible that all twelve Lords will be there, but I want to know as much as I can about what motivates the Lords that are most likely to attend. Though it’s only natural that these things can change, if we missed the big news that a Grand Roll was being held, it wouldn’t be strange if something else slipped our attention.”

Reines nodded, muttering as if she was reprimanding herself for letting her guard down.

“Did Yvette say anything about the Grand Roll?”

“Um, I don’t think she was told about it, because she blinked and asked me if telling her about it was really okay. Then, she said that if she didn’t even know, the Meluastea Faction either didn’t know either, or decided to give up their votes.”

“Is that so? You really have to hand it to Yvette, then. Though she should only be one of the least important spies, and there’s no way of telling exactly how much she really knows about the inner goings-on of the Meluastea Faction, she thinks the same way I do. This report is very well-written.”

With a thump, Reines hit the paper with the back of her hand.

It was rare to see her praise someone like that. I suppose Yvette’s insightfulness and the information she had compiled must be just as valuable.

“What is the information about?”

“Like before, it isn’t classified information, but it’s something that only belongs to the Meluastea.”

“…Ah, that’s the faction that Miss Yvette is spying for, right?”

“Exactly. Even if it’s the same basic information, different factions will have different perspectives. This basically talks about who Dr. Heartless is from the perspective of the Meluastea faction. Combining this with the information the Department of Modern Magecraft has gives you a different picture.”

Reines quickly scanned through the information, taking out a few photos.

“Svin.”

“Yes?”

“Compare this to the information from earlier. I can get an idea from this, but it’s easier if you can confirm it.”

“Got it.”

Svin took the files unexpectedly obediently.

I looked toward them and began to ask a question.

“Speaking of which, where’s—”

Before I could finish my sentence, a door was opened.

It seemed he had been taking a shower in the other room.

He was wearing a bathrobe, and his long, wet hair had been covered with a towel. There were still droplets of water dripping from his pale neck, but the thing that stood out the most to me was how he seemed to look even thinner.

“Oh, you’re back, Gray.”

He slowly sat down on another chair, as if he was liable to collapse then and there. The expression on his face was more sullen than usual.

“Are you alright?”

“In terms of how well I’m doing physically, I couldn’t be worse,” my mentor said readily.

His face was pale, and he clutched his stomach with his right hand. Though he had probably already taken magecraft medicine, it wasn’t enough to completely suppress the pain. He sloppily dried his hair with a towel, reached out to take a cigar from the desk, carefully lit it, and inhaled.

After taking a puff of smoke with a pained expression, my mentor spoke.

“I’ve just discussed it with Reines as well. Two letters arrived early this morning. Ah, I change hotels every day to avoid people tracking us, but of course they still managed to get here.”

As he said this, my mentor took out two envelopes from the desk drawer. Both of them looked incredibly elaborate, and different patterns had been pressed on each of the wax seals.

My mentor first looked toward the envelope on the right.

“One of them was sent through Melvin(TN: and yes Melvin is in this book), from the Democratic Lord Valualeta.”

Of course, I remembered this name.

Inorai Valualeta Atroholm.

An old woman who was bold and forthright.

She was the first Lord other than my mentor I had met, back at the Twin Towers of Ilsema. She managed the
    Valuay
    Department of Creation
    , and though she appeared to be kind, and accepted of modern technology, she was one of the most accomplished mages I knew of.

She represented the pinnacle of a mage’s ability, as someone capable of being the teacher of Touko Aozaki.

“The other one was from the Lord of the Department of Spiritual Evocation, the Aristocratic Lord Eulyphis.”

“The Department of Spiritual Evocation…”

That was a department I was not familiar with at all.

According to what my mentor had said in a class, that department dealt with utilizing spirits, or sometimes only a small part of them. In a certain sense, it had something to do with my hometown, so felt the fear that was associated with it, too.

Even though the El-Melloi also belonged to the Aristocratic Faction, it didn’t mean that the people who invited us only had kind intentions. The look on my mentor’s face was a clear indication of this.

Reines’ shoulders trembled as she giggled.

“Fortunately, there isn’t a conflict in the times the two parties offered to meet. This means we’ve avoided being interrogated on our standing by both of the factions. But if they really did interrogate us, I’m sure I’ll get to see an interesting expression from you, brother dear.”

“Lady. Do you understand that we’re in the same boat here?”

“Of course I do. Regrettably, I am the sort of person who cares more about my pleasure than my ruin.”

“…You really are a horrible person.”

“Why, thank you.”

Hearing Reines quietly giggle, I sank into thought. This was more than my brain could handle. Everything, from the Grand Roll, to the two factions involved in it and the sinister plans Dr. Heartless had, was completely outside of my imagination. Perhaps it was just as Reines had said. Only those who were familiar with the constant scheming of the Clock Tower would be able to deal with this.

“……”

For the moment, I switched to thinking of something else.

It was pointless to make a list of all the things I couldn’t do. I wracked my brain, trying to find something that I could do to actually help my mentor. Ah, in the end, all I was capable of was entrusting everything I had to someone I could trust.

For that reason,

“—What should I do?”

“Oh?” Reines said, raising one eyebrow. “Enthusiastic, aren’t you? A bit too disciplined to be the disciple of someone like my brother, don’t you think?”

“Shut up. …I think so as well.”

Hearing what my mentor quietly added made my face heat up. I felt like I had just burst into flame, and I tried to organize my thoughts as my ears turned bright red.

“Um, I… I think that I’m still a worthless disciple. B-but there must be something I can do.”

“Yes. Well then, let’s divide up the teams according to ability.” As she spoke, Reines picked up five perfectly-baked sablé biscuits. Excluding Trimmau, that was exactly how many people we had.

“First, one group accompanies my brother to go and meet the big shots who sent us those letters. Well, the only people in that group are me and my brother. Against someone of that level, even the slightest mistake in manner could be disastrous, and none of you have any idea how to hide your emotions.”

I looked to the two biscuits that had been separated from the others. I understood this decision very well. Flat and I were undoubtedly unfit for this role. Though I felt that Svin was a bit more competent in this regard, it was still far from enough to converse with those politically savvy and cunning people at the very top of the Clock Tower.

Reines put the remaining three cookies on a small plate and handed them to us.

“The other group will conduct an investigation based on the information we just received. In order to make preparations for the Grand Roll, this group will look into what the former head of the Department of Modern Magecraft, Dr. Heartless, has been doing. The members are Gray, Flat, and Svin. Svin’s nose can be used for tracking, analysis is Flat’s specialty, and I hope Gray will be able to keep the two on a leash.”

“However, in the unlikely event that you come across Heartless himself or Faker, retreat immediately. That’s a non-negotiable condition for me to allow you to become involved in this.”

What my mentor added was obvious. He had suspended all the classes at the El-Melloi Classroom because he didn’t want to get his students involved, and I had already experienced what Flat and Svin would do if they were left unattended.

“I… will try my best.“

“And I will allow Gray-tan to keep me under control!”

Beside Svin, who seemed oddly excited, Flat clapped his hands together.

“Ah, Le Chien-kun! Are you interested in things like nose rings and leashes? I can go look for a style that suits Gray and Svin-kun later!”

“I said, don’t compare me to a dog! And also, why’d you mention nose rings first?” Svin retorted loudly, beginning to argue with Flat.

The two of them have such a good relationship, I thought.

“Ihihihi! They’re always arguing, aren’t they!” Said Add, somewhat happily from the hook at my right shoulder.

“Yes. I envy them a little— No, I envy them quite a lot.”

“Hey, you’ve become honest!”

“I hope I can become more honest,” I replied quietly.

Then, I asked Reines the only other question that I had.

“But, if my mentor’s not there, who will lead the investigation? If someone else does it, my mentor will need to ask some more professional questions, right?”

Though he wasn’t a detective, he was always responsible for figuring things out in a case. Flat and Svin were also far from comparable to my mentor in terms of knowledge about magecraft.

“About that, I’ve thought about it a little bit. I don’t know whether it’ll suit your liking, though.” Reines said, as the corners of her mouth rose in a mischievous smile.

-End of Part 2 of Chapter 1, Book 7-
    —————————————————————————————————————————————————— ——

Ooooo nice, more chapter to read
    Thank you for the translation.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Is the twin juggernauts here supposed to be 双璧?

Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    Is the twin juggernauts here supposed to be 双璧?
    Yep. Do you have any suggestions as to what other words would make more sense?

--

Also, thanks for the tip on ruby text.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I believe TwilightsCall uses "twin jewels".

Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    I believe TwilightsCall uses "twin jewels".
    Yeah, that's probably better

屍鬼 Ghoul
    US Friend Code
    Thanks for the translations!

Chapter 1, Part 3
    Chapter 1, Part 3:

—They were in the seventy-eighth floor of the Great Magic Circuit.

At least five people were needed to do anything in the maze.

Two people to excavate, one person to be the lookout, and two people to fight off the Phantasmal Species and other hostile creatures. Of course, there could be more members, and one person could take on multiple roles, but it was basically impossible for a team with fewer members to get a permit.

The young man was most skilled at excavation.

His element was Earth.

Though he didn’t learn any impressive types of magecraft from his New Age mother, it was enough for him to navigate the maze. He had been taught all he needed to know to find and extract rare ores and talismans.

Now, they were exploring the seventy-eighth floor, which was around thirty thousand meters from the surface. He had heard that on the surface(sky), the tallest mountains were no more than nine kilometers tall. What a small world it was.

However, it had such a beautiful night sky.

“Oi! What are you standing around for, kid? Do you want to become monster food?”

The one reprimanding him was a slightly overweight mage, who was also the oldest of the group.

Like the young man, he was an excavator. His element was fire, and his job was to use Alchemy to create all sorts of concoctions to dissolve the rock, causing the minerals to float to the surface.

“Ah, it’d be fine if you could die a quick death(TN: It’s unclear who he’s talking about, so he could just as easily be talking about himself dying a quick death). Otherwise, don’t waste those potions(TN: Alternatively, medicines)! Don’t underestimate how long they take to brew!”

In the moist air of the Great Magic Circuit, the alchemist’s rambled on and on.

Though it was called a Magic Circuit, there weren’t actually many traces of the [dead dragon] here, and it wasn’t that different from a regular cave. However, the only cave system that would have dimly shining Magic Circuits embedded in it was this labyrinth, and a carnivorous spore or fire-eating rat would appear if you let down your guard for even a moment.

“Calm down, Gesell. You’re both excavators, so cut him some slack.”

“He also earned us quite a bit of money up on the surface.”

The two who came to mediate were the people in charge of fighting.

He had heard that these two siblings had come here from the surface a few years ago, hoping to become rich. They often joked as they drank that if they came from a better family of mages, they might need to fight each other for the right to inherit the Magic Crest.

“Thank god you managed to sell that up there.”

“I thought I was going to die. The Autopsy Division really is violent! Speaking of which, who did you manage to sell it to?”

“Um, it’s a long story.” He muttered.

Actually, he didn’t plan on sharing the money with any of the others, and he hadn’t told them that he had become the student of the head of the Department of Modern Magecraft, who called himself Heartless. That was because he hadn’t figured out what had happened yet, so it was impossible for him to explain.

“You spoil this kid too much!”

The two brothers laughed as they talked to the grumbling Gesell. Even so, the atmosphere around them still felt harmonious. After all, they had been teammates for quite a while now. Though there were occasional disagreements, the young man knew that the three of them would often team up when they were in the City, too.

The last member of the team walked over.

She was a dark-skinned young woman, around the same age as him.

She was their lookout.

She had eyes that were the same color as her skin and beautiful lips. Her element was water, which matched her appearance as well, and her specialty was automatic elemental transformation magecraft. Her hair was shoulder-length and well-combed, and she always gazed calmly into the distance. To the young man, the side of her face was dazzling(TN: Literally dazzling. Like ‘it blinded him’ kind of dazzling. Hopefully she doesn’t actually emit light).

She walked up to him and spoke.

“I’m glad. About this, and about the matter of your family, too.”

Though she didn’t say much, her emotions came through clearly.

To the young man, this was enough.

So he couldn’t help but say something else.

“Um,”

“What?”

What he said next required just as much courage as the decision to go to the surface. He held onto the excavation tools at his belt, and looked not to the young woman’s eyes but to the ground, which emitted a gentle light.

“When we get back to the city, could we go for a meal together?”

In this instant, it seemed like he was ten thousand light-years away from the brothers and Gesell.

After a while,

“…Sure,” the dark-skinned young woman said and nodded, somewhat embarrassedly.

Though the light in the Magic Circuit was faint, it was beautiful. In his eyes, though there wasn’t a sky, this light was enough.

—That all happened more than ten years ago.

To the young man, those years were undoubtedly the best days of his life.
    -End of Part 3 of Chapter 1, Book 7-

Chapter 2, Part 1
    Chapter 2, Part 1:

—To [me].

The term Grand Roll meant something different.

That was because the fate of Reines El-Melloi Archisorte had been decided there.

In that meeting, it had been made clear exactly how devastating the death of Kayneth El-Melloi Archibald was. On that day, the El-Melloi Faction was dragged out of the
    Kischur
    Department of Mineralogy
    , which they had managed for ages, and a majority vote was used to determine that a placeholder needed to be found.

Then, before the next Grand Roll after that one, I was forcibly installed as the new Lord-elect, and ended up as the target of so many assassination attempts that I didn’t want to think about again. The only reason why I managed to survive was because of what my steward taught me, and the hard work I put into it… But in the end, what determines death or life is luck.

That was why I started to have my eye on my brother.

I’d always been a fan of his, ever since he survived from the Fourth Holy Grail War, when even
    Kayneth
    my adoptive brother
    died. In terms of combat and survival ability, he’d probably be last out of all the Masters, but he somehow managed to live, and acquired the El-Melloi Classroom.

Usually, someone in my position would hate him.

Though there were no records of them directly fighting each other as mages, he was undoubtedly one of my adoptive brother’s enemies. Besides that, there were even reports of how he stole my adoptive brother’s artifact. Though I hadn’t met my adoptive brother that many times and didn’t have any particular attachments to him, according to my usual style, I should have used this as an excuse to drain everything I could from him.

As to why I didn’t do that, I may have been a bit fascinated by him.

The fact that a student who was average even amongst other New Age students managed to survive when a Lord died required some serious luck. If I could get in on some of this luck, perhaps I would be able to survive a bit longer. With a thought like that, which felt like some sort of bad magecraft, I dragged him over and tied him to this title.

“You’ve attended a Grand Roll before, right?”

“There were only four Lords present if you counted the representatives then, the minimum number of people required. Lords are always incredibly reserved. Though, I’m doubtlessly the only Lord who meeting in the Clock Tower wouldn’t be worth boasting about.”

“Isn’t that cancelled out by how everyone’s closer to you? Otherwise, you wouldn’t have any dignity or prestige at all.”

Seeing my brother look displeasedly back at me, I felt a sense of fulfillment. Though we’ve known each other for years now, your insecurities are still easy to see. How pathetic. I hope you never change.

I looked away.

We were now sitting on the horse carriage Lord Valualeta had sent for us.

The Trambelios had also prepared a horse carriage, but that didn’t mean they didn’t have fancy cars. Even this would send a message about what the relationships between the two parties are.

This time, the extraordinarily polite attitude of the coachman told us that “we respect you, so can you betray the Aristocratic Faction and join us?” One of these days, I’ll snap back at them for using this kind of communication by telling them that it was quite aristocratic of them. And then, I would ask them how the heck they managed to make the ride not make my butt jolt around.

“Either way, we still don’t have enough information. Since they’re the ones going all this way to invite us, we can use this as a pretext to gather some. The rest will depend on what the investigation team can find.”

I nodded, and asked him something else.

“Well then, how’s our investigation team doing?”

I was getting a bit excited, but don’t blame me for that, brother dear.

To tell you the truth, I didn’t think that I would like that idea so much, but the mere thought of it was enough to bring a smile to my face. Seeing Gray’s eyes light up when she saw it was made me have the uncharacteristic thought that perhaps this was all the good deeds I needed to do in my entire life.

My brother’s frown grew even deeper, and he sighed.

“There are no problems for the time being, but since Flat and Svin are there, we can’t be too careful.”

“Hahaha. And what about Gray?”

“She’s [on the bus with me] right now. We’re going over the information we have about Heartless,” my brother answered with a look of pain on his face.

Trimmau, who sat in the same carriage, looked at us with the same expressionless face as usual.
    -End of Part 1 of Chapter 2, Book 7-

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle All fictions's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    I wasn't sure, but the recent translations confirmed for me that Waver is, indeed, a New Ager.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    Punching out some nerd doesn't make you a better magus.

Chapter 2, Part 2
    Chapter 2, Part 2:

London’s buses had a long history, so I’m told.

Even someone like [me] who hasn’t lived in London for very long should be familiar with those squat red double decker buses from movies and TV shows.

Though this city used to use horse carriages for transport, buses and underground trains were took over after they were introduced in the twentieth century. I found it incredibly surprising when I heard that bendybuses had only been introduced very recently(TN: only in 2001) when I first arrived in London with my mentor. The way the two coaches had been linked together seemed like it would only create more problems, but I guess that just showed how much the city of London loved buses.

And now, we were sitting on one of those famous double deckers.

Outside the window, the streets flew past us along with the steady sounds of engines.

There were museums, art galleries, and bicycles lining the streets, and they combined together to form this city. They made me gradually forget what I was even here for.

Of course, the reason why we chose to ride the bus was to avoid being tailed. We didn’t use the car given to my mentor for formal business, or the car given to him for personal use. We even walked to the bus station separately. Svin explained that those fanatical students would take note of the tiniest details, not only remembering the type of car and the license plate, but also what impressions the tires would leave on the roads. This made my mentor’s car incredibly easy to track using magecraft.

Getting back on topic, one phrase appeared as we discussed our investigation on the second floor of the bus.

“Heartless’ students…?”

“Yes.” My mentor’s voice confirmed.

I sat at the very back of the bus, while Flat and Svin sat in the row in front of me. Though we spoke as quietly as possible, we had strengthened our hearing, which meant that we could talk normally.

Of course, in order to prevent the other passengers from hearing, Flat put a spell in place so that they would perceive any dangerous discussions of magecraft as harmless talk about school life. I got the feeling that he would use this type of magecraft in class as well, but I didn’t ask more bout it.

My mentor cleared his throat and continued. “He was the head of the Department of Modern Magecraft once, after all. Countless people have probably been taught by him, but not many of them could be called his students.”

That made sense.

If you counted the informal students, there were many mages that had received his guidance. However, there were only so many students that actually understood him. If you limited those to only the formal students of the El-Melloi Classroom, there would be even fewer.

This applied to Heartless even more, considering that the Department of Modern Magecraft didn’t have many people back then.

“Though the records from the Department of Modern Magecraft have been carefully removed, the Meluastea still have some information, although it’s difficult to tell without something to compare it to. Combined with the extra information revealed to me by Hishiri, I’ve already grasped the whereabouts of five students. I hope you can go look for them in those locations.”

“Al-righty!”

“…Flat, try to stay back. Svin, I’ll let you handle most of the communication. I can help when you need me to, so try and find as much about Heartless as you can. But then again, even though I’m asking you to investigate, Heartless’ actions may have nothing to do with the Grand Roll.”

Though my mentor said that, he didn’t sound like he believed that was the case.

Even though the Grand Roll was a sudden event, that didn’t mean it was completely unrelated to the cases that had happened up until now. That was too unlikely. But even if they really were unrelated, my mentor still had to face both.

“Understood.” Svin said, nodding. “But Sir, it’s not a good idea for you meet people [like this], right?”

“……”

My mentor was briefly at a loss for words.

At the same time, Flat turned around and covered his mouth with his hands when he saw my mentor again.

“Pfft, hahaha…!”

“Don’t laugh at him, Flat! That’s too disrespectful!”

“B-but still! Professor doesn’t fit the nickname of Big Ben ☆ London Star like this! Should I call him Little Ben ☆ London Star now? Or maybe Metal Ben ☆ London Star?”

Though the seats of the bus came in pairs, there was nobody sitting next to me.

My mentor’s voice came from beneath my feet.

The key was his size.

“…Lady, I’m glad you’re not laughing at me, but why do you have to have such a troubled expression? And why is your nose twitching?”

“N-nothing, I just, didn’t think you’d become so cute…”

“Ihihihihi! Now you’re the same as me!”

Add’s comment fit the situation well. It took all of my strength to stop myself from laughing, because now, my mentor was small enough to fit in someone’s palm.

Everything, from his long hair to his clothing now shone with a metallic shine, and had been sunk to [one-tenth] of its original size. Apparently this was something akin to a mentor-familiar, created by adjusting part of Trimmau.

Some passengers heard our laughter and turned to look at us, and we apologized. Though Flat’s magecraft hid my mentor and the important parts of our conversation, it seemed that it wasn’t enough to hide our laughter, too.

“If the situation demands it, there’s no way out,” the miniature version of my mentor said, with a displeased expression. “If there is more to do at the meeting, I might not be able to respond to what’s happening here. For the moment, I can sense my surroundings because Volumen Hydrargyrum was designed to calculate feedback. Though it’s not like I don’t have familiars, I can’t hope to reach the same level of preciseness, and my Magic Circuits aren’t good enough to calculate action corrections. I’m not happy that I have to rely on Reines, but since this is the most effective way, it would be stupid not to use it.”

That was very much in my mentor’s style.

“Either way, Lady, if the time comes for me to speak as Lord El-Melloi II, say that you’re acting as my familiar now. I’ll speak from your pocket. Are you alright with that?”

“…Y-yes. Of course.”

“Thank you.”

The miniature version of my mentor gave a gentlemanly bow.

“Back to Heartless’ students. Right now, you’re going to meet Gesell Tolman. He is very famous for his potions, and his element is fire. Though he hasn’t been in contact with the Clock Tower for a while, other people seem to hold him in high regard. The report didn’t say that he is a belligerent person, but if we do end up having to fight…”

We confirmed a few other things besides that, and the bus arrived at our destination.

It was a very quiet place, close to a residential area and a park. Only a few pedestrians could be spotted walking by.

Of course, compared to my hometown, this was still evidently a city. Even though we were in London, a twenty-minute bus ride from the city was enough to bring us to a place like this. Who living here would think that they lived next door to a mage?

Given the Londoners’ liking of ghosts, perhaps that might make this place even more desirable.

“The workshop’s not far from here, to the west,” my mentor said from my pocket.

As we walked, the smell of fish and chips wafted from a small stall in the park. Most stores would add all kinds of seasoning for you, but I liked it with more mustard and ketchup, and less malt vinegar. Once you take a bite, the crispy exterior and the seasonings blossom in your mouth, and the texture it forms with the tender cod creates a taste that you will never get sick of, however many times you eat it.

That was a scent that I had only found out about after I came to the city.

My mentor was the one who showed me this wonderful taste.

Just as I thought of this, the teenager beside me stopped in his tracks.

“Svin-kun?”

“There are some smells mixed together.”

“Huh?”

Clearly, he wasn’t talking about the smell of fish and chips.

“It’s the smell of magecraft, like a murky blue and purple. It should come from some potions used in alchemy, and there’s some red mixed into it.”

Svin frowned, and my mentor gave some new instructions from my pocket.

“Flat, keep a lookout.”

“OK, Professor! Game Select!”

Hearing my mentor’s instructions, Flat drew a circle in the air with his finger and made a sheet of aluminum foil fly into the air.

It looked like Japanese origami. Or perhaps, like the wireframe of a game. A concentration of Magical Energy that looked neither like a bird nor like a butterfly flew into the sky above a house, flapping its aluminum wings like a real creature.

“It’s a house with a chimney. Hmm, yes, it really is a workshop… Do you want me to hack in from here?”

“Don’t. If you get discovered, it becomes self-defense for the other person to fight us. All we’re doing now is asking about his teacher. We only need to give him a visit. …But if anything goes wrong, retreat immediately. Don’t let your guard down.”

My mentor’s low voice carried some nervousness, and I felt myself tense up.

Svin and I exchanged a look as we approached the front door. I swallowed and took a deep breath before I knocked twice.

There was no response.

I immediately got the urge to knock again, but I stopped myself. In order to protect my mentor, I silently circulated the Magical Energy in my body so I could strengthen myself and fight if anything came up.

Finally, something inside approached.

I heard the sound of unmasked footsteps.

A gap the size of a thread opened, and gradually grew wider—

“—Hi, how are you doing?” The person inside asked.

For a second, my mentor and I held our breaths. Behind us, Svin, who had even more acute hearing, tensed up, because we were familiar with this voice. The impression that this person had left on us was too deep.

Flat, however, clapped, and spoke with an excited voice.

“Long time no see! Why are you here? Are you a student of Dr. Heartless? No, that can’t be right, you two look the same age. And even though you do all sorts of things, the spells that you use don’t feel related at all, [Miss Touko]! It’s like if a street fighter tried to infiltrate into a bunch of office workers with a camouflage bandanna! Maybe a game like that will appear in the future!”

“Well, you haven’t changed. I don’t dislike your attitude. I don’t know much about games, though, so sorry about that. …And the Lord’s become so cute,” the woman who wore glasses said with a light chuckle.

Though her smooth skin made her look less than thirty years old, there was no way to be sure. The color red, which was somewhat similar to the color of her hair, suited her well. It wasn’t a pure red, but rather, uneven and dark, and fit who she was. (TN: I’m not sure what Gray’s talking about here)

Her name was just as Flat had brought up. Perhaps I should have expected her to come up when I first heard the words Grand Roll.

“Touko Aozaki…” My mentor said from my pocket.

The Grand puppeteer smiled at us from the other side of the door.
    After a brief moment of hesitation, we still entered the house at her invitation.

Just like Svin’s nose had determined, there were large amounts of medicines and potions on the shelves that lined the walls. All sorts of herbs and insects filled piles of bottles, making the miniature version of my mentor exclaim in wonder as he saw all of this from my pocket.

We drank the coffee that Touko prepared, as she started to answer our questions.

“Yes, of course I know Dr. Heartless. I’m familiar with the version of the Department of Modern Magecraft(Norwich) that he was the head of. Even now, it still feels a bit off to say that it’s under the El-Melloi now.”

“…It was only forced onto us because of our decline.”

“Looking at your students, didn’t it turn out pretty well?” Touko said, looking happily at the miniature version of my mentor, who sat on the armrest of a chair.

She drank her coffee and slowly leaned back on the wooden back of the chair. She looked like the head of some kind of detective agency. Perhaps she really had done something like that in the past.

“I’m evidently not one of Heartless’ students. Perhaps you could say that I’m here for the same reason as you.”

“You’re here for the same reason as us?”

Hearing my question, the woman smiled.

“Yes. This is someone else’s house. I’ve never even met the owner, much less gotten his permission. I just took some coffee randomly from over there, but it seems like this person’s taste isn’t bad.”

“Uh, Miss Touko?!” I instinctively exclaimed.

Touko took another sip of coffee with a brilliant smile. At the same time, my mentor’s frown deepened.

“Have you already taken over that person’s workshop…?”

“I haven’t done anything that reckless. I’ve just not done anything hostile yet. Isn’t it evident what acts would disrupt the workshop?”

I couldn’t comprehend how skilled someone would have to be to do that.

I didn’t even understand how entering the house and then preparing coffee could be counted as “not hostile”.

However, an expression of despair appeared on the face of the miniature version of my mentor. It was an expression like that of someone who had already used up all their stamina while running a marathon, and just realized how much more they had to run.

“…Well then, let’s get down to business.”

Touko removed her glasses, and her voice suddenly became lower(TN: Alternatively, lost its cheer).

Something similar had happened before. After she did this, her personality would change. It was like a switch that changed into and out of a mask to talk to others than a shift in personality, like a difference in how important good and evil were perceived as. One was more like a human, while the other was not. Both of them were Touko Aozaki, but that didn’t mean they were both real.

“I suppose you could liken my reason to indigestion (TN:?). Though I enjoyed what happened at the Twin Towers of Ilsema, I know that fragments were left behind. And since I was forced to leave, there were some things that were left unresolved, so I’m pursuing them with the mindset of using it to pass time.”

She was talking about Heartless.

That mage had been involved in that case as well. Both my mentor and Reines believed that Heartless was the one who provided the funds to purchase the artifact that was the key to that case.

For that reason, it wasn’t strange that the Grand puppeteer who happened to be used was looking for his whereabouts. Actually, I had serious doubts about whether she really minded having been used or not, so an explanation like indigestion felt quite fitting.

“So, from what your student said just then, you’ve been chasing Heartless for a while now, right? How much do you know?”

“For the moment, we know that he has around five students.”

“Ha. As expected of someone of your position in the Clock Tower. You really investigated this quickly. Can you show me the list of names?”

“Yes. Svin, help me show it to her.”

My mentor nodded, and Svin obediently took his notes from his pocket. Seeing the names, Touko raised one finger and spoke.

“Ah, going to look for these two people will be pointless.”

“What do you mean?”

“They’ve disappeared, like the owner of this house. I was looking into rumors of missing mages for something else, but I ended up bumping into the topic of Heartless. I guess you could call it a serial disappearance case.”

Touko’s response made me shiver, and the coffee I was holding seemed to lose its aroma.

[A serial disappearance case.]

I felt like I was suddenly sucked from the strange world of mages and into a detective novel. The development described by the highest-ranking mage I knew was so sudden it made me feel a pungent taste spread in my mouth.

“Disappearances, you say?” My mentor asked, somewhat stiffly.

“Oh, you didn’t know?” Touko said, observing our reaction. “It’s not something worth being surprised about. If a normal person disappeared, there might be some commotion, but mages are the anomalies of this world. Even if they disappear, it’s likely to go unnoticed. Even more so if they aren’t in contact with the Clock Tower.”

I didn’t know whether she was joking or not, but she then added that “the same goes for me.”

“Combining the statements given by the people around here and the state of the workshop, the mage that lived here, Gesell Tolman, went missing around three days ago. Counting the other two, that makes three people. I haven’t confirmed the situation of the two remaining students, but looking at this list, I can now be sure of the thing they have in common. After all, the other two are quite famous where you are. …By that, I mean that they’re all Survivors of the labyrinth.”

“Wow! Really?”

“It’s the first time I’ve heard about real Survivors. They’re hard to find in the Department of Modern Magecraft.”

Hearing Flat and Svin’s reaction, I tilted my head.

“…The labyrinth?”

Both of them blinked in surprise.

At the same time, the compressed version of my mentor covered his mouth with one of his compressed hands.

“Oh, right. Gray doesn’t know yet.”

“Ah—, Gray goes to classes at the Clock Tower sometimes, but she isn’t a mage, after all.”

Hearing Flat’s words, I couldn’t help but feel scared.

“I-I’m sorry.”

“No, It’s my fault. This has nothing to do with Modern Magecraft, so I’ve never brought it up in class. There should also be other students like you.”

It seemed like this was common sense for people in the Clock Tower. I felt more and more guilty. Of course, my mentor didn’t show any disappointment toward me, and continued in a steady voice.

“Miss Aozaki, I need to spend some time to explain to my disciple. Do you mind?”

“Of course not. I’ve always wanted to attend a class taught by the Lord of the Department of modern Magecraft,” Touko said, putting one hand on her chest and settling into a laid-back pose.
    -End of Part 2 of Chapter 2, Book 7-

Chapter 2, Part 3
    Chapter 2, Part 3:

“Haha, I never thought you’d meet that Grand puppeteer.”

Even I couldn’t help but smile wryly.

That woman was just too difficult to deal with. The logic behind her actions was just too different from mine. I could have been fine with a mage that single-mindedly pursued the root, but I couldn’t understand her desires at all. To be honest, I felt glad that I wasn’t in that other group.

“You’re talking about the labyrinth now? I guess there is a need for that. …Anyway, as long as nothing happens to the path. You’re pretty good at this, aren’t you? It’s a bit like the Atlas Institute’s thought partitioning, isn’t it?”

Hearing what should have been praise, my brother turned to look at me with a complicated expression.

“…You don’t have to force yourself to flatter me. It’s not like I created a split personality. I’ve just split my thoughts and had them run in parallel. It’s completely different from the thought partitioning of the Atlas Institute. Also, even if I make an error in my actions or thoughts, the Volumen Hydrargyrum carefully crafted by Kayneth(TN: Actually more like Mr. Kayneth? Or teacher Kayneth?) will help compensate for it. Even a normal person would be able to do this with a bit of practice.”

Yes, he was right.

If it was the director of the Atlas Institute who we had met in Gray’s hometown, Zepia Eltnam Atlasia— Oh! Just the mention of that name is enough to send shivers down my spine!—, he could probably easily split his thoughts into seven parts. That was why he was able to say things that made him sound like he had precognition.

This time, it was my brother who suggested helping him try and create a non-conventional familiar based on my experience at the time. Though, if someone asked me if I did this because creating two copies of my brother created double the teasing value, I would be at a loss of what to answer, wouldn’t I?

At that moment I felt some slight inertia(TN: that sounds really weird).

The carriage had stopped.

From the circular window, I could see the mansion that was our destination. It was one of the secondary villas of the Valualeta. At the entrance, the servants had lined up to greet us.

“Alright, time for us to attend a meeting in preparation for the Grand Roll.”

I raised one of my hands.

That was so my brother could escort me, of course.

My mentor reluctantly took my hand, and we got off the carriage. Then, we were led by the servants to the reception room, where a familiar face awaited us on one of the sofas.

“Melvin…”

“There you are, my dearest friend! Thanks for coming all this way! I’ve waited here because wanted to meet you before Lord Valualeta does!”

It was Melvin Weinz, the first-class scum of a human being who called himself my brother’s “best friend of best friends.”

He greeted us with a smile that was as cheerful and suspicious as usual. His face was somewhat attractive, though. Since he was always vomiting blood, I thought that it was about time he died, but he hadn’t yet. Though I said that, if he died now, we’d really have no way to fix our Magic Crest, so I couldn’t help but pray in secret once in a while.

“It’s about time you died, isn’t it?”

Whoops, that accidentally slipped from my mouth.

“Hahaha, the little sister’s especially foul-mouthed today! You are a bit like Mama in that sense, but if you’re talking about how gracefulmghrhbrlghrbm—!”

I dashed away from him. I didn’t need to punish him at all. The tuner started vomiting blood all on his own, with excellent timing.

Just as I suppressed the urge to stomp on his head, Melvin looked up and dabbed at his mouth with a handkerchief as he asked a question.

“Oh, not much of a response. Is my darling Waver alright? You can express as much concern about me as you want, you know! Come, weave a poem for our beautiful friendship, which shines brighter than any gem! Or you can accompany me to the hospital my family runs if you want!”

“…I’m fine. …Also, I’d prefer it if you didn’t make up some kind of wonderful relationship.”

“No no, but that is an immutable fact of nature! A truth decided millennia ago, confirmed nine and a half years ago! Ah, Waver, how sad it is that I still have to remind you of this to this day!”

As the self-proclaimed best friend used exaggerated body language to tell the tale of how he was on the verge of death with grief and shock, my brother managed to extricate himself with a disgusted look on his face.

“…They’re having a class over there,” he said, pursing his lips.
    -End of Part 3 of Chapter 2, Book 7-

Chapter 2, Chapter 4
    Chapter 2, Part 4:

My mentor leapt onto the table.

It seemed like he was physically stronger than the regular version of my mentor. Perhaps it was because Trimmau was the one performing most of the calculations. …I actually would have wanted to see my mentor struggle to get up there, though.

He held one of his hands to the lapel of his mercury jacket and began to speak.

“…Before I explain what it is, let’s have a lesson.” Maybe because he wanted to confirm his size, he stomped the table twice before he continued. “What do you first think of on the subject of mazes?”

“Mazes?”

The first thing that appeared in my mind was a famous story in Greek mythology.

The legend went that the wife of a king fell in love with a bull because of the wrath of the gods. The child that was born from this was a monster with the head of a bull and the body of a person. In order to imprison him, the king demanded the great inventor Daedalus build a maze that nobody could escape from.

“…The labyrinth of the minotaur, or something like that. The sort that’s complicated, and impossible to escape from.”

“Indeed. One of the most prominent mazes in legends and mythology is the Labyrinthos that trapped the minotaur. Besides that, the maze constructed by Amnemhat III of Ancient Egypt and the circular labyrinth of Epidaurus are also well-known.”

My mentor nodded with his mercury head. The swaying of his long hair looked like the waves of a faraway sea.

“However,
    Maze
    mazes
    and
    Labyrinth
    mazes
    used to be different (TN: They’re the same word originally, so I might have messed up earlier on which word was used where but it’s impossible to tell). Mazes are just as you described: complicated, and with an abundance of dead ends, constructed to make explorers disoriented. By contrast, originally, a labyrinth had only one path.”

“…Huh?”

The unexpected statement surprised me.

“This is evident if you look at illustrations. Until around the Fifteenth century, though labyrinths looked complex, like the outer layer of the brain, there was only ever one path. In other words, it wasn’t made to make explorers lost, but rather, to have them walk a long, winding path, and to eliminate the feeling of the outside world.”

To eliminate the feeling of the outside world.

“There’s a reason behind only making one path. Since it doesn’t branch outward, the explorer must arrive at the deepest part of the maze. Once they are removed from the outside world, their consciousness will naturally turn towards themselves. Walking deeper into the labyrinth is like exploring deeper and deeper into yourself. In this way, the
    Minotaur
    monster
    that the explorers see at the deepest part of the labyrinth is actually a version of themselves that brings their death.”

My mentor’s words were so impactful that for a moment, I forgot to breathe.

“Isn’t that… my hometown…”

Though there was more than one path, what was waiting for us down there was undoubtedly another version of myself. She wore a mask, but had the same body, the same lance, and even knew how to use it as a Noble Phantasm to oppose me.

“—To you, your hometown was a labyrinth,” my mentor said. “Once you arrived at the deepest part, you must return the same way you came, looking back into the past, when you entered it. The explorers who experienced death then revive themselves step by step, re-experiencing the past. …Or perhaps you could say that labyrinths are not just structures to make people lose their way, but rituals of initiation, from death to life.”

My mentor’s words piled up inside me like snowflakes.

That was what my hometown used to be to me. It wasn’t just the caves, I had even gone into the past that one of the Atlas Institute’s Seven Superweapons had created, and had returned alive with my mother. If what he was saying was true, did that have a symbolic meaning?

“Ihihihi, are you crying?” Add said in a quiet voice from his hook. I really hoped that he could stop doing this. It was really embarrassing.

“This initiation ceremony gradually became used by religions over time. These labyrinths are also called church labyrinths, and you can find them on the floors and ceilings of various religious establishments. Usually, they are Cretan(TN: Alternatively, ‘classical’) seven-course or eleven-course designs. In this situation, ‘eleven-course’ represents an incomplete number of sin, less than the number of Apostles and more than the commandments. Or you could say, it’s a number that represents the common realm.”

My mentor bent down to touch the table beneath his feet. Was this also how the labyrinths on the floors of churches were carved?

“Labyrinths in churches are meant to rid of sin. Using this worldly number lets the sin and defilement that has accumulated on the living to be purified in the labyrinth. Here, the minotaur that sits at the depths of the labyrinth can be exchanged for the voice of Satan coiled in the hearts of people.”

Though what he said was profound, I could mostly understand it.

Basically, it was like the deep desires or impulses that were hidden in everyone’s hearts, which were difficult to see normally. And the role of labyrinths in churches used to be so people could face these desires.

“Similarly, labyrinths exist within mages as well. Nobody can understand themselves perfectly, and that is why only those who can draw things out from this maze in their minds can become powerful mages. Of course, the talent necessary to draw them out is prerequisite for any of this to work.”

After he said that, my mentor bit his lip silently. It seemed like something he would do.

Perhaps some people would find it laughable, but to me, it felt a little bit sad. How did my mentor feel about this himself?

“—I see, so this is a lesson from the El-Melloi classroom,” Touko said, watching from the side with a bemused expression.

“Apologies, this is all very basic.”

“Don’t apologize, that was all very detailed. We mages keep bumping into mystery every once in a while. Though we’ve learned the history behind it all, the link between history and magecraft gets fuzzy sometimes. Hearing this kind of class, it’s not hard to understand why students other people couldn’t deal with managed to learn from you. Of course, there must be teachers out there who think you’re wasting time.”

Though I didn’t think there was any deeper meaning behind her words, they made me feel terrified.

As a Grand mage, she probably thought that the highly-ranked mages of the Clock Tower were the same as my mentor, who was constantly troubled by his lack of talent. Both of them were inferior to her, and that was why Touko Aozaki could see my mentor’s lectures with that kind of perspective.

I heard the sound of coughing.

It was my mentor. Though he shouldn’t need to cough with this body, he probably wanted to use this sound to attract our attention again. I turned my head in guilt, and my mentor nodded lightly when he saw that. He stomped on the surface of the table again, and a crisp sound ran through the air as metal hit wood.

“However, what you need to know about now isn’t what I just talked about. There’s a famous labyrinth underneath the Clock Tower, too.”

“Is that the one where the Survivors from just then came from?”

I felt like we had finally reached the heart of the matter, like a ray of light had finally shone into a dark cavern I had been wandering about in.

“No, the order should be the other way around,” my mentor corrected.

“The other way around?”

“Yes. I should probably say that the Clock Tower was built here because of the existence of that labyrinth.”

I couldn’t grasp the meaning of that sentence immediately.

“What does that mean?” I asked, just as I wanted to sink into a despair because of my lack of intelligence.

“After the Common Era, the mystery of the Age of the Gods disappeared. True, ancient magecraft was lost, and only small, insignificant things were left behind.”

I had heard something similar before.

Apparently, compared to what magecraft used to be, magecraft in the modern era was like an empty shell. There was a definite split between those two ages. That was also why Faker was so terrifying.

She was an ancient mage, from the age when the hero Iskandar rode across the world.

In the battle on the Rail Zeppelin, if she managed to use a single spell, we might have all lost our lives.

“However, underneath the Clock Tower— No, underneath London, there still rests a giant, mysterious corpse of immeasurable size,” my mentor said, pointing to the floor.

“By corpse, do you mean—”

“Compared to the surface, the texture of the Human Order influences the underground much less. For that reason, there will be fragments of things that have disappeared aboveground there. However, there are some items that can’t be explained as fragments buried beneath the Clock Tower.”

I felt that something terrifying was concealed behind my mentor’s steady words.

It reminded me of a secret treasure buried underground.

“That’s inside the labyrinth, right?”

“Yes. For instance, there are the scales and teeth of dragons, lost spirit stones, corpses of juvenile hydras trapped in amber, all sorts of artifacts that are impossible to find above ground. You could say that labyrinth is the backbone of the Clock Tower.”

“Exactly! It was just as I thought! Hack and Slash games are the essence of RPGs! You can turn your character into a ninja straight away with the first rewards, and you can raise dozens of your own demons! The strongest wizards won’t wait for you in your room all the time either, because they work in shifts!” (TN: Wait how is this related at all)

Flat happily struck a victory pose.

Though I was already vaguely aware of that fact, hearing it was still impactful. If that was the case, it made sense why my mentor would say that the Clock Tower had been built here because of the labyrinth.

However, the most important aspect of this was still shrouded in mist.

“…Why would there be a labyrinth like this underneath London?”

“……”

For a moment, my mentor was silent.

My mentor, who always gave people the impression of someone who always had something to say, looked like he was unsure of where to begin.

Was this that difficult to explain?

Just as I thought about that, my mentor began to speak slowly.

“Even amongst the people who know of the labyrinth beneath the Clock Tower, not everyone knows about this… It’s an ancient legend.”

That word immediately piqued my interest.

A legend of the Clock Tower. What would a legend passed down through time amongst mages who lived lives wreathed with mystery be like?

Of course, the story started somewhere completely outside of my imagination.

“In the distance past, there was once a giant dragon. Some say that it was larger than mountains, and that each of its claws was the size of a tower.”

“...Huh?”

Suddenly hearing something that felt like it came out of a dream made me blink several times in surprise.

I barely managed to understand all the talk of a labyrinth beneath the ground, but why would something as surreal as a giant ancient dragon appear?

“Wait, Sir, weren’t we talking about the labyrinth?”

“Just listen to what I have to say. Though it was passed around the Clock Tower like a fairly tale, in a certain sense, there are traces of it in the present. Ah, you even think it sounds like a ridiculous story used to trick children, even though you have echoes of mystery inside you.”

My mentor cleared his throat again somewhat awkwardly and continued.

“Most dragons sensed the end of the Age of the Gods, so they moved the Reverse Side of the World(TN: Alternatively, the Inner Side of the World?) before the disappearance of Phantasmal Species. However… that giant dragon stayed here for a long time. Perhaps it was because [he] thought he was strong enough. Or perhaps it was for some other reason.”

My mentor told the story of the dragon like a storyteller sitting in front of a campfire.

The reason why he called the dragon a “he” was probably because he resonated with the story somehow. Though I thought that maybe this was part of what mages were inclined to do, as pursuers of fading mystery, that might be a bit far-fetched.

“However, the dragon was eventually forced to succumb to the changing times. This was now the age of humanity. Once the dragon accepted that, he finally prepared to head to the Reverse Side of the World. However, it was too late. The gate from the surface, where mystery had already faded, to the Reverse Side of the World had already closed.

“The dragon roared, regretting his arrogance. However, he did not despair or give up. Since he could not rely on mystery anymore, he would physically make it down there, he thought. So he used his giant body to sink into the depths of the earth, where traces of mystery still remain to this day.”

It felt less like a lesson and more like a story, and a somewhat sad one, too.

I couldn’t help but think of the dinosaurs. They once flourished in this land, sitting at the very top of the food chain. However, they ended up going extinct, maybe because they were too well-adapted to their age.

Perhaps I was the same as them.

“However.” My mentor said. “However, it stopped breathing while it dug through the earth.”

“What happened after that?”

“Not much else happened. His corpse, which was larger than a mountain, remained in the ground, gradually being torn apart by the movement of the earth. That was enough to make the body of the dragon turn into an even larger labyrinth.”

Finally, it came back to our original topic.

As I muttered to myself in confusion, my mentor continued.

“That labyrinth is called Spirit Tomb Albion, and rests [even deeper down] than what is below the Clock Tower.”

A tomb.

The instant I heard that word, I felt an electric current run through my body. I never thought that the word would return after I thought it had cut off from me after the case at my hometown.

However, this story was too absurd and nonsensical for me to believe.

Until now, I had experienced many things that seemed unbelievable, and they made me feel unsure enough in myself to face something like this. This time, however, I felt like I had been dealt a fatal blow.

“…Um,” I managed to say. “So Spirit Tomb Albion is right underneath us?”

“Like I said, that’s a legend that’s treated like a fairy tale. But regardless of whether it’s true or not, there are remnants in the present. Beneath our feet, there is, indeed, a giant labyrinth— No, it wouldn’t even be wrong to call it a separate world. And that place yields great benefits for the Clock Tower.”

My mentor’s words echoed back and forth in the room full of potions.

Though this was a mage’s workshop, it was still too plain of a stage compared to what we had just talked about. Or, perhaps it was fitting because it was so plain. After all, for a mage that was familiar with the Clock Tower, this was no more than common knowledge.

“—Haha, it’s pretty absurd, isn’t it?”

Touko, who had been listening all along, smiled.

“I was speechless too when I first heard about it too. It seems strange that people can say that mystery has disappeared when something like that exists.”

“I was confused when I heard about the corpse of the dragon, too,” Svin said, expressing his thoughts.

Hearing that their thoughts were similar to mine made me feel more at ease. If these two people were shocked by hearing this, then of course I wouldn’t be able to accept it immediately.

“I’ve believed it all along! Aren’t we part of the clock tower? Since rich people have catacombs under their mansions, wouldn’t it seem weirder if there wasn’t something like that under the Clock Tower? Closed gates! Hidden treasures troves! Monster surprised you!(TN: This is a reference to some graffiti on the wall of a maze in the game The Portopia Serial Murder Case, which itself is a reference to something in some other game which I couldn’t find the name of)!”

“Shut up, Flat. —As I was saying, there are enormous benefits to be reaped from Spirit Tomb Albion. For that reason, the Clock Tower set up a special organization to excavate and manage the artifacts obtained from the labyrinth. This is to prevent any one of the twelve families to take over it and gain an overwhelming advantage.”

Suddenly, discussions of power and advantages came up.

It was like riding a roller coaster. Words that were too fantastical and words that were too grounded came one after the other, like they were holding hands in a waltz and spinning around and around.

I felt dizzy, and rubbed my temples through my hood.

“W-wait a second, please.”

“Are you alright?”

“Y-yes, um, I haven’t managed to take everything in…” I said honestly.

All this information was too much for my sluggish brain to take. It wasn’t just the amount, either. The combination of information was too special and complicated, and I couldn’t combine them together properly.

“I see,” my mentor said, nodding. “If that’s the case, let’s draw a diagram. Svin, you’ve attended a related class, yes? Can you redraw the diagram from then?”

“Oh, sure.”

As he said that, Svin took a pen from his pocket.

First, he wrote down the name “Spirit Tomb Albion”. Then, he drew a sketch of the maze as an upside-down pyramid that had been split into layers. Then, he drew a couple of lines, and added labels to them. From shallowest to deepest, they went Mining City Magisfair, the Great Magic Circuit, the Ancient Heart, Carillon Observatory… and so on.

Finally, he added the name of the organization we just discussed on top of the diagram. The Secret Autopsy Division.

(TN: Enjoy my image edit with a random sideways stroke that I didn't realize was there until it was too late. Please tell me if you can read what it says properly)

“Is that… the organization in charge of excavating Spirit Tomb Albion?”

“Yes. Everything in the labyrinth is under the sole jurisdiction of the Secret Autopsy Division. Even the Barthomeloi who lead the Aristocratic Faction and the Trambelio who lead the Democratic Faction have no say in their arrangements. In a certain sense, though they belong to the Clock Tower, they are also not part of the Clock Tower. So there’s nothing worth being ashamed about, as you’ve only been here for half a year.”

Belonging to the Clock Tower, yet not part of the Clock Tower.

An organization specifically in charge of the labyrinth, outside of the control of the twelve families. Though I couldn’t completely understand all of it, I had a vague grasp of its importance.

“Sir. …So what are the implications of the owner of this workshop being a Survivor of Spirit Tomb Albion?” Svin asked, putting down his pen.

Finally, we returned to our original topic. Because there had been so much in the middle, I got the feeling of having been on a long journey, and I couldn’t help but exhale deeply.

The giant labyrinth of the Clock Tower, Spirit Tomb Albion. According to Touko, all of Heartless’ students were its Survivors.

What truth would be connected to this fact?

I swallowed.

But at that moment, my mentor let out a groan from the table.

“Sir?”

“My apologies. They’ve finished the preparations. Allow me to concentrate over there for a bit.”

With that, the expression disappeared from the face of the mercury figurine of my mentor, and he sank into silence like a robot who had been unplugged.
    -End of Part 4 of Chapter 2, Book 7-

US Friend Code
    Fast updates, thank you a lot for your work!

US Friend Code
    h-hayai

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    “It’s about time you died, isn’t it?”

Whoops, that accidentally slipped from my mouth.
    cute
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

Quote Originally Posted by All fictions View Post
    I wasn't sure, but the recent translations confirmed for me that Waver is, indeed, a New Ager.
    Hopefully this isn't derailing, but I think Waver canonically has the position that the acknowledgement of tradition is good, but that ideas shouldn't be dismissed outright just for being newer? At least, that was according to some fate/zero bonus material, iirc.

US Friend Code
    I don't think New Agers are an ideological category, so I wasn't commenting on Waver's beliefs.

Chapter 2, Part 5
    Chapter 2, Part 5:

“…Are you done with your class?”

Hearing my question, my brother looked up with a displeased expression.

He was a bit pale, probably because he had been concentrating on his other body over there.

It was a bit like motion sickness. It happened a lot when switching between perceiving through yourself and a familiar far away. Of course, most mages were already used to that feeling, but my brother didn’t have enough experience for that yet.

“No, but since Valualeta’s already done preparing, I have to return here, don’t I?”

“You seem busy, Waver,” Melvin said, without even a bit of self-awareness.

Of course, he was the one who made my brother to go through all this trouble by passing along the Valualetas’ message for them. He also made absolutely no attempt to be considerate enough to wait for my brother to recover from his familiar-induced dizziness.

“Alright, let’s go.”

As Melvin said that, he pointed his handsome chin in the direction of the door, and walked toward the hallway of the mansion.

“Are you alright, brother?”

“I’m fine. You aren’t the sort of person who would stop to wait for me anyway.”

“Haha. I just don’t want to ask too much of my dear older brother! It’s just that your cute little sister enjoys seeing other people in pain just a little bit.”

“If you enjoy having friends, you should change that part of your personality.”

“(TN: *unhappy Reines noise that I don’t know how to translate*).”

He really likes responding with redundant things like that. Then again, wasn’t my brother the one who understood best that it was impossible to change my personality?

I swallowed those complaints and caught up to Melvin along with my brother and Trimmau.

The hallway was lined with all sorts of works of art.

Some of the pieces were so famous that I recognized them; their presence made the power of their owners all the more obvious. Of course, they were authentic. As the family in charge of the Department of Creation, the Valualetas loved art. They ran many art galleries, and the way these pieces were displayed didn’t have the unnaturalness of being used to show off wealth. It even gave me the impression that they were testing our taste, which was annoying. There were pieces by Rousseau, which they likely specially selected for being stylistically between the Barbizon school of art and impressionism.

“Speaking of which, Waver.”

“What?”

“I’m sure you know about this already, but most people in the Democratic Faction want to eliminate the El-Melloi Faction. You’re still the least powerful out of the twelve families, and even if you were struck down, nothing would change much,” he said, talking about the demise of a Lord family with a carefree smile. “The Valualetas are different, though, because Lord Valualeta likes you quite a bit.”

“……”

Melvin’s words weighed on me.

Being liked wasn’t necessarily a good thing. The El-Melloi Faction was still a part of the Aristocratic Faction, so it wasn’t a good reputation to have our Lord be favored by the Democratic Lord Valualeta. We were already despised by our fellow members of the Aristocratic Faction, so it was. Like a bomb ready to explode at any moment. …Of course, the Valualetas were perfectly aware of this, so if they sent us the invite, they must have just as bad of a personality as I do.

My brother turned even paler. He covered his stomach and responded.

“You’re not really trying to talk about something that obvious, are you?”

“Of course not. But you’re reaching the bottleneck of your life walking on a tightrope. You’re not accepted by the Aristocratic Faction, and you can’t join the Democratic and Neutral Factions either. Being stuck in a self-reliant state isn’t going to last you forever, you know? Even Mama’s begun to notice you.”

“Your mother?”

“Yes, exactly. So that’s why I betrayed you.”

“…What?”

“What the hell do you mean by that!?” I yelled reflexively.

Though I always thought he was a scumbag from head to toe, I never thought that he would betray my brother.

The scumbag in front of me shrugged exaggeratedly.

“Haha, don’t worry. I would never sell out my dearest friend for a cheap price! I’ve put my own head on the line too! (TN: *insert cut off coughing noise here*)!”

He coughed lightly again, and the handkerchief pressed to his mouth was stained red.

Along with this, servants opened the door.

In the spacious reception room, there was a long rosewood table that fit the decor well. The owner of the mansion sat on one of the chairs surrounding it, and raised her wrinkled hand.

“There you are, El-Melloi.”

“It’s been a while since I last saw you, Lord Valualeta.”

“Hey, hey. Are you trying to say that your perception of time is different form mine because I’m old? It’s only been a few months, hasn’t it?” The old woman, Inorai said, blinking. There was a cigarette between her fingers, and an ashtray beside her. From the scent in the room, it appeared to be some kind of herbal cigarette.

However, the real problem lay deeper inside the room.

There was another person there, sitting on the same side as Inorai. My mind went blank for a moment, and my brother’s eyes widened.

“…I never thought that you would also be here.”

“Hahaha, Lord Valualeta brings you up quite often, so I brazenly asked Melvin-kun to introduce me to you.”

He was a very muscular man.

Judging from his appearance, he was around forty to fifty, but for mages, appearances could not be trusted. He was wearing a suit that had obviously been custom-made, as the high-quality perfectly outlined the muscles on his shoulders and back.

However, what made [us] so shocked was something else (TN: Saying that makes it feel like the reader could have thought that they were shocked by how muscular he was).

“…McDonell Trambelio Elrod.”

My mentor barely managed to say his name.

Yes.

He was a Trambelio.

…I never could have thought that Lord Trambelio, the leader of the Democratic Faction, would be here…

Instantly, I felt my throat dry up.
    -End of Part 5 of Chapter 2, Book 7-
    Last edited by azwhoisverybored; March 30th, 2022 at 09:23 PM. Reason: changed Rosseau -> Rousseau