Page 3688 of 3977 FirstFirst ... 268831883588363836783683368636873688368936903693369837383788 ... LastLast
Results 73,741 to 73,760 of 79530

Thread: Fate/Grand Order Story and Lore (CONTAINS SPOILERS)

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six OnesFleetingGlory's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily Emilio View Post
    FWIW in my country Vietnam, we generally refer to Hinduism as " đạo Bà La Môn" (literally means "religion of the Brahmin") or "Vệ Đà giáo" (Vedas religion). Not many ppl here would understand what you're talking about if you use the term "đạo Hindu" (Hinduism).

- - - Updated - - -

Incorrect. What nerfed the Devas was Nasu favoritism towards Taoism. Devas are still very powerful in Buddhist tradition and are usually guardians of Buddha (Indra even appeared when Buddha is born). They are also all capable of becoming Buddhas and vast majority of devas live in higher heavens together with bodhisattvas.

Devas in Taoism however, are below the ranks of both Buddhas and Xians, and aren't really impressive minus a very few top tiers who are also syncretized with certain Xians or heavenly generals.
    CMIIW. Is the 'nerf' related to them being referred as dharmapalas?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SirGauoftheSquareTable View Post
    For the first part, that clearly isn't what they were going for, and I think you know it.

Also, the Devas have been continuously nerfed within our tradition for the past 1500 years at least. They've become wimpier and less revered to the point that I don't remember ever praying to them or learning shlokas for them.
    Has this anything to do with the growing influence of Buddhism?

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle
    Quote Originally Posted by SirGauoftheSquareTable View Post
    As a Hindu, I'll just say that Hinduism isn't a real thing, or at least wasn't prior to the late 19tg century,
    Just like Shinto.

JP Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by OnesFleetingGlory View Post
    CMIIW. Is the 'nerf' related to them being referred as dharmapalas?
    Yes, but it's more than that. When absorbed into Buddhism, the entire Hindu pantheon became a part of multiple heavens in the Buddhist cosmology. And although these devas are still powerful, still capable of governing natural phenomenon, live extremely long lifespan, they are considered mortal beings who will eventually pass away without the effect of things like the amrita and will continue to drop into the circle of reincarnation. Indra for example, known as Sakra, is now just one title of the guy ruling this specific heaven, and when he is dead he will be replaced by another Sakra. However, these devas can still attain buddhahood, it's not the end for them.

Now what did Taoism do? Well Indra is still strong, syncretized with the Jade Emperor. However the Jade Emperor is also only the one governing one of the dozen heavens, and he is a subordinate of Yuanshi Tianzun (Jiang Ziya's Master). These devas are also mortal and needs to eat Xian peaches to keep longevity. They have to learn the Taoism arts to cultivate and become more powerful. Had it stop there, then it wouldn't be so different from when Buddhism adopted them into their cosmology. Taoism went further to absorb Buddhism into their own cosmology becuz Huizong emperor is a hack.

In this new system, Buddhas are regarded as Xians from India, and assimilated into the ranks of the Xians (in this context, Xians and Buddhas/Bodhisattvas are view in a much closer meaning to the term "hermit") and Gautama Buddha as well as the highest Buddhas are Xians of the Golden Rank, sitting in the same tier as Nuwa and the Three Pure Ones, the "Golden" rank is because Buddhist statues are golden colored, they add in that buddhas of this rank has been training in Buddhist art to the point of having gigantic immortal golden bodies (which later gave ideas to some writers to make Buddha into golden mecha aliens, glad Nasu didn't see those manhua). BUT, even when this rank is already extremely high to the point that the gap between this rank and the rank right below them is literally "impossible to obtain", there is still ANOTHER rank ABOVE the 3 pure ones and the Golden Buddhas, that is the rank of the one best representing the Tao itself. In other words, the highest rank of an entity in Taoism that is not the Taiji, is an entity similar to Typemoon's Shiki Ryougi (Void).

Tldr: Think about it like this: in Buddhism, all things already existed and are part of an endless cycle of reincarnation, and there are high and lower tier beings with devas being the highest. These beings can go further and beyond by ascending into Buddhahood and escape the cycle. OTOH in Taoism, because everything originates from the Tao (represented by the Taiji), and gods are manifestation of the chi of the Tao, there are literally INFINITE amount of gods, devas, yokais...etc that are far from being fully documented. Therefore, as more of these entities ascend to Xianhood, there will also be INFINITE amount of Xians in theory. When you are part of such infinite pantheon, unless you are one of those "pillars" that are constant at the top never to be replaced, you are extremely unimpressive.

Quote Originally Posted by rxrx View Post
    Has this anything to do with the growing influence of Buddhism?
    Isnt buddhism very small in india or we referring to somewhere else?

Quote Originally Posted by Sione View Post
    That line of thinking is probably what made Divine Spirits in general so unimpressive compared to Faeries or True Ancestor shenanigans.
    Well fae is just a combo of OC and arturian wank. And tbh the difference between true gods and divine spirits isnt super obvious most of the time which I feel very VERY much hurts, of course it mostly feels irrelevant tbh if you compare true gods like scath vs some of the other stuff.

US Friend Code
    snip
    I see. Very interesting. Thanks for the explanations.

Quote Originally Posted by rxrx View Post
    I mean Indra equated to Raikou is a huge insult to Indra and a huge wank for the Japanese. Not to forget wanking Tamamo and Amateratsu to 大日如来
    I wonder why Nasu never try to hide his superiority complex, i mean wanking your home country Hero by relying on other people greatness is just look really shameless to me.

Blog Entries
    It's a bit unfair to call it "wanking" honestly. So far the only true "wanking" appropriately applies only to the British Arthurian mythos (meaning that TM has to make up 80% of the mythology and severely exaggerate their power-level scale). As I've said, it's more of the consequence of TM embracing the "All Myths Are True" cosmology. These kind of systemic syncretism did exist IRL, and to invalidate it, in this case, means invalidating the Japanese mythology specifically. Reversely, this also mean that, like Lily Emilio explained with Taoism, the other mythology that got syncretized suffers from powerlevel one-uppance.
    Last edited by Kamera; May 22nd, 2022 at 08:13 AM.

I mean honestly does the syncrenetism actually benefit jp myth? it feels like outside of say sakurai and some occasional other things they mostly avoid it,. It mostly just once again has the syncrenetism eat mythology, it isnt needed, you can show ammy without this unholy hydra of syncremetism

It doesnt benefit, greek myth, nor any western ones really. it only ever benefits author favorites and buddhism.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunhelier View Post
    I wonder why Nasu never try to hide his superiority complex, i mean wanking your home country Hero by relying on other people greatness is just look really shameless to me.
    I feel like it's a mess at this point where unless the retcon hammer is brought out a lot of the myths are very hard to write, which is maybe one reason I think nasu has avoided jp myth because he iether wants to do MORE or has semi 'trapped himself'
    Last edited by Byegod; May 22nd, 2022 at 08:26 AM.

Blog Entries
    Syncretism (meaning interactions of cultures and religions) is great actually, and I really want to see more of it. TM kind of screwed up with the Greek Pantheon in this case because the concept of the Machine Gods basically invalidates more organic syncretism, such as the Dyaus-Pita/Deus Pater/Zeus evolution or the Aphrodite Mesopotamian origin.

JP Friend Code
    It benefits all religions that used it, expanding their roster and their reach to wider audiences in the culture sphere they try to influence. The main reason for syncretism of Buddhism is to show that all beings are capable of becoming Buddhas, different from other usage like Huizong emperor did with Taoism to reduce the relevance and influences of Buddhism and Hinduism. Christianity in Vietnam now also moved to slowly allow limited reverence of ancestors and national heroes (something used to be deemed as a sign of polytheism) through technicality in the usage of incense (following an OK from the pope back in 1960 iirc, but moved very slowly) because of Vietnamese folk belief being critical to the country's identity. The conservatives will still be conservative about it, but the more open approach has been adopted across younger generation of Christians.

It's a bit unfair to call it "wanking" honestly. So far the only true "wanking" appropriately applies only to the British Arthurian mythos (meaning that TM has to make up 80% of the mythology and severely exaggerate their power-level scale). As I've said, it's more of the consequence of TM embracing the "All Myths Are True" cosmology. These kind of systemic syncretism did exist IRL, and to invalidate it, in this case, means invalidating the Japanese mythology specifically. Reversely, this also mean that, like Lily Emilio explained with Taoism, the other mythology that got syncretized suffers from powerlevel one-uppance.
    Well, its not like Amaterasu can't stand alone without being syncretized with Vairocana. At the same time Vairocana gone from existence leaving Amaterasu as the biggest figure in Buddhism. The syncretism only benefiting Japanese side while Buddhism must suffer from the fact that their Supreme Being transformed into
    Sun goddess.

The fact that Amaterasu being syncretized with Vairocana come from a small sect with little influence also shows Nasu's favoritism and superiority complex, wanking your national hero is fine i can atleast understand that but taking over other people greatness and invalidating their Mythology? What do you call that if not shameless?

Blog Entries
    It benefits all religions that used it, expanding their roster and their reach to wider audiences in the culture sphere they try to influence. The main reason for syncretism of Buddhism is to show that all beings are capable of becoming Buddhas, different from other usage like Huizong emperor did with Taoism to reduce the relevance and influences of Buddhism and Hinduism. Christianity in Vietnam now also moved to slowly allow limited reverence of ancestors and national heroes (something used to be deemed as a sign of polytheism) through technicality in the usage of incense (following an OK from the pope back in 1960 iirc, but moved very slowly) because of Vietnamese folk belief being critical to the country's identity. The conservatives will still be conservative about it, but the more open approach has been adopted across younger generation of Christians.
    Just curious, do Christians over there pay respects to their ancestors, family members and national heroes before the OK from the Pope? Some places against these are mainly not because of Christianity, but out of fear of getting too close to Confucianism and Chinese traditions.

US Friend Code
    Where is it stated that Amaterasu is syncretized with Vairocana? I tried to browse but can't seem to find it.

Syncretism (meaning interactions of cultures and religions) is great actually, and I really want to see more of it. TM kind of screwed up with the Greek Pantheon in this case because the concept of the Machine Gods basically invalidates more organic syncretism, such as the Dyaus-Pita/Deus Pater/Zeus evolution or the Aphrodite Mesopotamian origin.
    IF we go for PIE then it would be higher than even buddhism since buddhism came from hinduism which in turn comes from PIE right?

The issue is that, it doesnt fucking do anything, half the time its like

"This character is x"
    "This character barely focuses on it outside of 'its a cause for how strong they are and there mostly just waifu memes or its never elaborated on or nasu avoids elaborating"

Thats 90% of buddhist syncrenetism in this franchise, its there to say a character is strong, then they mostly ignore it outside of a few character interactions. Its like tamamo allegedly being a jackal but thats NEVER brought up. Tamamo did not need all this, if you MUST synchronize her with ammy, just use that and the daji angle.

Then you got the issues where we get the myths are true but the anthropological angle is also used, so how the fuck does ammy work considering we know susanoo and tsukuyomi exist, yet somehow ammy was a seperate entity in china and other religions much earlier even though the trio were all born at the same time, even though we also know a lot of foundational jp myths did occur, izanami and izanagi do exist, there is a relation between the two and ammy
    Last edited by Byegod; May 22nd, 2022 at 09:05 AM.

US Friend Code
    Daji and Tamamo are Amaterasu's bunreis/Divided Spirits, offshoots that contain pieces of her Divinity. So their existences could be treated as extensions of her nature, which also explains the difference in locations. You could also add Koyanskaya to that list.

Blog Entries
    Glad to know that Amaterasu still generate much seething in the fandom.

Blog Entries
    Daji and Tamamo are Amaterasu's bunreis/Divided Spirits, offshoots that contain pieces of her Divinity. So their existences could be treated as extensions of her nature, which also explains the difference in locations. You could also add Koyanskaya to that list.
    What we are talking about is Tamamo doesn't really need this kind of lore. It's like Nasu lack confidence in the myths and legends of Japan that he has to rely on Syncretism to give them power ups. Also, Koyan has nothing to do with Tamamo other than being a fan girl and following her example of getting nine tails.

Where is it stated that Amaterasu is syncretized with Vairocana? I tried to browse but can't seem to find it.
    I believe it comes from Extra and FGO, you can see one example in Nezha line.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Byegod View Post
    IF we go for PIE then it would be higher than even buddhism since buddhism came from hinduism which in turn comes from PIE right?

The issue is that, it doesnt fucking do anything, half the time its like

"This character is x"
    "This character barely focuses on it outside of 'its a cause for how strong they are and there mostly just waifu memes or its never elaborated on or nasu avoids elaborating"

Thats 90% of buddhist syncrenetism in this franchise, its there to say a character is strong, then they mostly ignore it outside of a few character interactions. Its like tamamo allegedly being a jackal but thats NEVER brought up. Tamamo did not need all this, if you MUST synchronize her with ammy, just use that and the daji angle.

Then you got the issues where we get the myths are true but the anthropological angle is also used, so how the fuck does ammy work considering we know susanoo and tsukuyomi exist, yet somehow ammy was a seperate entity in china and other religions much earlier even though the trio were all born at the same time, even though we also know a lot of foundational jp myths did occur, izanami and izanagi do exist, there is a relation between the two and ammy
    Its easy though they can just make it so that Japanese Pantheon is much older than they originally was, in fact they already established that Japanese Pantheon does exist in 14.000 BC while Daji and Dakini stuff happened later on.
    Last edited by Bunhelier; May 22nd, 2022 at 09:32 AM.

Syncretism is a normal phenomenon that happens all the time in religion, you guys need to chill down.
    Because you are too young. Or too stupid. Or both.