Thread: Fate/Grand Order General Discussion (CONTAINS SPOILERS)

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six OnesFleetingGlory's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by GDB View Post
    y Ddraig Goch represents either Uther or Arthur, depending on the story, yes.

Though it's odd, because Melusine is also the white dragon itself, isn't she?
    Albion IRL was originally used to refer whole Britain. So I guess in Nasuverse it represents both dragons, whose aspects were absorbed by the two individuals that will fulfill the prophecy of King Arthur.

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle TresserT's Avatar
    I know Typemoon makes up ridiculous bullshit all the time, I would just be surprised if they took someone else's made up bullshit and made it canon in their world, unless it's something super well known like Vlad being a vampire, which the whole Lilith thing is not. Doubly so when it's not even a well known pop culture thing. It has been done before, admittedly, but I can only think of one single example and that was used purely as an excuse to justify fanservice.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TresserT View Post
    I know Typemoon makes up ridiculous bullshit all the time, I would just be surprised if they took someone else's made up bullshit and made it canon in their world, unless it's something super well known like Vlad being a vampire, which the whole Lilith thing is not. Doubly so when it's not even a well known pop culture thing. It has been done before, admittedly, but I can only think of one single example and that was used purely as an excuse to justify fanservice.
    Sweet summer child
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Kirishima's Avatar
    Don't the history buffs get their panties in a twist every 3 months because some servant comes out and is actually based on a completely made up fanfic from an obscure author that happened to have a book translated to japanese?

Yeah pretty much everything involing Scáthach/Arjuna people go over the moon about.

Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl, þonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Wikipedia references an Arthur option too:
    Never trust Wikipedia. I had a feeling my memory wasn't failing me so I looked up the citation and even went and got a translation of the source text.

Quote Originally Posted by Historia Regum Britanniae
    Woe unto the Red Dragon, for his extermination draweth nigh; and his caverns shall be occupied of the White Dragon that betokeneth the Saxons whom thou hast invited hither. But the Red signifieth the race of Britain that shall be oppressed of the White. Therefore shall the mountains and the valleys thereof be made level plain and the streams of the valleys shall flow with blood. The rites of religion shall be done away and the ruin of churches be made manifest. At the last, she that is oppressed shall prevail and resist the cruelty of them that come from without. For the Boar of Cornwall shall bring succour and shall trample their necks beneath his feet.
    As you can see, Arthur is indeed referenced as part of the prophecy...but he is the boar - not the dragon. Wikipedia fails again.

Quote Originally Posted by OnesFleetingGlory View Post
    Albion IRL was originally used to refer whole Britain. So I guess in Nasuverse it represents both dragons, whose aspects were absorbed by the two individuals that will fulfill the prophecy of King Arthur.
    It is certainly a weird choice, but then so much of the stuff surrounding Albion and Vortigern has been messed with that it's hardly worth complaining about anymore.
    "Here's a bangin lil' tune about takin' on The Man!"

(Check out my Super Special Awesome Servant Compendium here)

US Friend Code
    Well as has already been said in the Lilith discussion, whether something is true or not historically/mythologically doesn't really matter. If it's a common conception in popular culture Nasu (and the other TM writers) are likely to pick up on it. I know I've seen Arthur be called Pendragon plenty of times outside Fate. I'm less sure if I've ever seen something else associate him with the Welsh red dragon but would not be shocked.

- - - Updated - - -

Though it's odd, because Melusine is also the white dragon itself, isn't she?
    Albion
    Melusine
    is somehow both the red and white dragons according to her costume description, I think. I guess it's like Morgan and Vivian.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ultimum spes View Post
    Yeah pretty much everything involing Scáthach/Arjuna people go over the moon about.
    I must confess, this is something I never understood the hate for. I get that the whole Skadi-Scáthach thing is a reference to Barbara Walker's nonsense, but as far as I can remember, LB2 doesn't say they *are* the same person just that Odin fused them together. Unless I am either completely misremembering something or misunderstanding why Skadi is hated?

Blog Entries
    Because she could've been Aoife instead
    Check out the officialTM Create-a-Servant discord server

Blindfold your eyes, so that the approaching night may strike no fear in you.
    Let it not burden your soul, nor numb your strides.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamera View Post
    Oh, so it’s a wasted potential kinda thing then, I see.

Speaking of wasted potential and the fact that the dragons were mentioned, that reminds me of when Camelot came out and Bedivere was revealed to have his silver arm which was given the name air gelatin or whatever - named after Nuada’s silver arm from Irish mythology...but you know who else had a silver arm? Lludd, the guy responsible for sealing the two dragons under the ground that Vortigern tried to build his tower upon and awoken. It would have been a narrative grand slam to give his epithet to Bedivere instead since it parallels his attempt to stop the Lartoria who has the blood of the very same Red Dragon.

But alas, it just wasn’t meant to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Skull View Post
    I must confess, this is something I never understood the hate for. I get that the whole Skadi-Scáthach thing is a reference to Barbara Walker's nonsense, but as far as I can remember, LB2 doesn't say they *are* the same person just that Odin fused them together. Unless I am either completely misremembering something or misunderstanding why Skadi is hated?
    Oh no what I was taking about is the whole Scáthach stole Fionn's stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamera View Post
    I personally think it should been Scáthach=Hel or something

But imo the problem is due to the events of lostbelt 2 Scáthach=Skadi personality isn't one to one to either Skadi or Scáthach she's a fine character but like similar with Gil doesn't really represent her myth verison that well.
    Last edited by ultimum spes; March 27th, 2023 at 09:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirishima View Post
    Don't the history buffs get their panties in a twist every 3 months because some servant comes out and is actually based on a completely made up fanfic from an obscure author that happened to have a book translated to japanese?
    If this is the case then that's news to me, I knew fate had a lot of whack random stuff that had no real basis (Scathach being a great example) but I didn't know it was because it had some obscure Japanese translation origin. I just assumed they made shit up because "Cu's mentor? She MUST be awesome!" and threw in ideas that sounded cool.

We all know Scathach-Skadi only happened because Nasu played Nocturne. Probably the only reason Scathach herself is here.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Scathach=Skadi is like pseudo-Servants but even worse.

Quote Originally Posted by TresserT View Post
    If this is the case then that's news to me, I knew fate had a lot of whack random stuff that had no real basis (Scathach being a great example) but I didn't know it was because it had some obscure Japanese translation origin. I just assumed they made shit up because "Cu's mentor? She MUST be awesome!" and threw in ideas that sounded cool.
    The nonsense is there in original text btw. But I recall a lot of references were traced back to some book someone found and people also discovered this book was translated to japanese. Don't remember the author but I think it had something to do with the Barbara Walker Skull mentioned. But I'm pretty sure it's not only her

It's not only her, the two names have been connected etymologically for a while. Not that that means anything, but yeah.

Scathach=Skadi was 100% just because they wanted to sell a Scathach face but needed some kind of justification. She, Jalter, and Eresh were pretty much the three sleeper hits of part 1. I would 100% believe they started with "potential Scathach alt" as a basis and then looked for anything that fit, and even if they knew it was made up they just said fuck it.

There's a lot less justification for them using blatantly made up stuff in this case. Though if there really are lots of examples of them using weird, made up sources in the past and I just didn't know about it before now, well guess I'm wrong then. I just don't know of any cases like that myself (though I'm not denying they happen).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by VTKajin View Post
    It's not only her, the two names have been connected etymologically for a while. Not that that means anything, but yeah.
    What’s funny is that TM doesn’t appear to take this view as they claim in Skadi’s profile that her name means “one who wounds” or whatever and not “shadow” like Scathach and the basis for the entire theory, yet they still made Skadi-Scathach anyways.

Guys, it's just an SMT reference again. Hell she's probably quick because she uses green spells all the time.

Blog Entries
    My point of salt-rage is the connection between Raikou and Indra.

There's literally no basis for it. Nasu and Sakurai pulled it entirely out of their asses.