Page 10215 of 10290 FirstFirst ... 92159715101151016510205102101021310214102151021610217102201022510265 ... LastLast
Results 204,281 to 204,300 of 205789

Thread: Random Thoughts Thread

Blog Entries
    Aw, I like the way it sounds. It's nice.

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tsugumi View Post
    Does anyone do the specific thing he's mocking? My bestie and I keep the flow, so to speak, but I know another guy who speaks two languages very well and keeps the flow in neither. If a word/phrase from the other language pops up in the one he's speaking, he's going to say it exactly as it was intended. Not such a big deal when you're speaking english, but very funny overhearing him talk in the other language where that is very much not the norm.

All of this is to say, what does the divide look like - it's more normal to be a flow-keeper, right? But are any of you/do you know any flow-breakers?
    Shit no, people who change their pronunciation mid-sentence are just being pretentious fuckwits. DID YOU UNDERSTAND MY MEANING OR NOT YOU GIANT TWATWAFFLE? YOU DID? GOOD. I CAN REGALE YOU WITH MY OXFORD ACCENT ANOTHER TIME OL' CHAP.

- - - Updated - - -

To clarify I'm not actually unreasonably angry about this, but this is the kind of reaction I'd give if someone was trying to be smarmy about it. YOU'RE BEING DUMB. STOP BEING DUMB KTHX.
    shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    ladies, he's single
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.

Blog Entries
    There was something that was really tickling me about the example in the video being asparagus and I couldn't quite put my finger on it, but then I looked it up, and was reminded that it's not even an English word in the first place so there was literally no reason to flip to English pronunciation at fucking all.

Fate\last call
    night, dawn, and the birth of stars

╘══════════════════╕
    Characters
    Dictionary
    Poll
    Recent: Ch. ■
    next arc: Spring 2024

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Shit no, people who change their pronunciation mid-sentence are just being pretentious fuckwits. DID YOU UNDERSTAND MY MEANING OR NOT YOU GIANT TWATWAFFLE? YOU DID? GOOD. I CAN REGALE YOU WITH MY OXFORD ACCENT ANOTHER TIME OL' CHAP.

- - - Updated - - -

To clarify I'm not actually unreasonably angry about this, but this is the kind of reaction I'd give if someone was trying to be smarmy about it. YOU'RE BEING DUMB. STOP BEING DUMB KTHX.
    Aw, the guy I know who does this because he's probably as close as it reasonable to, what I understand to be, Nasu's ideas about mountain men.

.........I probably wouldn't make that generous assumption about other people who do it though. Although who knows, maybe they are also mini-mountain men in their own way and I just don't know it yet.

US Friend Code
    Shit no, people who change their pronunciation mid-sentence are just being pretentious fuckwits.
    I do that sometimes; my accent and lingo will switch around at random when I talk to people sometimes, though it’s not intentional. Probably has something to do with me moving around all the time when I was growing up.

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nanashi(kari) View Post
    This always confused me. If tzar was considered equivalent to emperor why did they change the title? Was is to sound more western?
    Yes, it was part of westernisation. Of course, this was just a title: nobody in Russia referred to the head of state as imperator.

[quote[Well, the 'empire' I meant to ask about was the historiographic term and the self-designation that was used by some 19th/20th century states which the great majority of the population conflate. I had started to think about this because it had bothered me how in fiction 'empire' (in the sense of a self-designation) and 'emperor' are used as if were a universal concept which bothers me because
    1. Those concepts doesn't make sense without a cultural backstory to explain their origin.
    2. Using modern scholarly terms as self-designation is a pet peeve of mine (I get triggered every time I am reading jp fantasy web novels and a term ending in -制度 or -思想 is used).

Basically, I started thinking about this because I was fussing over world building. The thing about sucession in the female line I mentioned in other thread and the talk about surnames were also the same.[/QUOTE]

I think it's fine to use modern words when writing something like a fantasy story based (as all things inherently are) on our past societies. We inevitably have to use them in order for our present-day audience to understand what we mean. Like Shakespeare writing ancient Romans speaking regular everyday English of his time. The precise word "emperor" may not carry over its cultural and etymological history in this sub-created world, but the concept of a monarch who is even bigger and more kingly than other kings is a common part of states across the world and throughout history. Even in Christianity, "King of Kings" refers to Christ.
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeOfEden View Post
    I do that sometimes; my accent and lingo will switch around at random when I talk to people sometimes, though it’s not intentional. Probably has something to do with me moving around all the time when I was growing up.
    Same with accent but with less of an excuse because I haven't lived where I was born for a long time lol

Aw, the guy I know who does this because he's probably as close as it reasonable to, what I understand to be, Nasu's ideas about mountain men.

.........I probably wouldn't make that generous assumption about other people who do it though. Although who knows, maybe they are also mini-mountain men in their own way and I just don't know it yet.
    I'm sure there's all sorts of places and circumstances why someone might do that and just be trying to be a considerate human bean but, having lived in a former Commonwealth country where Britain still owns sovereign territory on and the English language, law, customs et al play an unduly large part in the public consciousness, people who do this in my experience and around these parts are 99.99999999% pretentious dickwaffles.

- - - Updated - - -

And that's still probably not enough nines.
    shit BL says

It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    ladies, he's single

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Aw, I like the way it sounds. It's nice.
    Listen to some Canadian French. That'll ruin all appeal.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
    Listen to some Canadian French. That'll ruin all appeal.
    Our cousins having their own special take on things doesn't ruin the original article

Blog Entries
    He's so great, but so slept on.

Bonus: "It seems Tokyo is strict with rabbits." When it comes to posting, he's a natural.....

On a side note, I'd love to see the schematics of the blue thing.

He's so great, but so slept on.

Bonus: "It seems Tokyo is strict with rabbits." When it comes to posting, he's a natural.....

On a side note, I'd love to see the schematics of the blue thing.
    Huh, funny. (Midway between "weird funny" and "funny funny" because English is a hacked together language).
    shit BL says

ladies, he's single

Blog Entries
    Huh, funny. (Midway between "weird funny" and "funny funny" because English is a hacked together language).
    He leans into the inherent weirdness of it all, which is what I like about him/why I got into yurukyara in the first place. The thought of having your ordinary day-to-day life intruded upon by a bizarre character you have to pretend is real is refreshing. "Let's get this party started" indeed.

He leans into it the most out of any mascot I've encountered. Not only is "the person inside" baked into the premise, he and Usahi can talk to each other.

Blog Entries
    Do you ever think about how furries didn't exist until the advent of cartoons

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Werewolf myths tell us furries have been a thing a lot longer than Mickey Mouse.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
    Werewolf myths tell us furries have been a thing a lot longer than Mickey Mouse.
    I completely disagree and I knew someone was going to try and pull this gotcha. Furries are entirely based in the realm of cartoons - fursuits all have anime eyes for a reason. A werewolf is "what if you crossed a man with a wolf" and there's a completely different psychology behind it to boot.

Didn't know we had a furry expert present

Blog Entries
    Of course. My on-and-off hobby for... probably my entire conscious life has been to study unusual groups of people to try and figure out what makes them tick.

Also tbh open furries in particular are everywhere, it'd be kind of hard not to notice things about them.
    Last edited by tsugumi; June 5th, 2023 at 09:05 PM.

JP Friend Code
    003254397 / Ratman
    Blog Entries
    I completely disagree and I knew someone was going to try and pull this gotcha. Furries are entirely based in the realm of cartoons - fursuits all have anime eyes for a reason. A werewolf is "what if you crossed a man with a wolf" and there's a completely different psychology behind it to boot.
    This is the primary misgiving I've always had.

Tapping into your animal side? I can get that. Wanting to be a cool wolf with lots of teeth? Sounds rad. But wait, why is your primary aesthetic big-eyed disney plushies? Look, I can't live out my primal, predatory urges while looking like a teletubbie. There's a highly infantile undercurrent to the whole movement, that's why you get diaperfurs and whatnot.

US Friend Code
    Also tbh open furries in particular are everywhere, it'd be kind of hard not to notice things about them.
    Don’t forget about the therians and the otherkin

Spoiler:
    I hate that I know about this