Page 1 of 32 123611 ... LastLast

Thread: Metal Gear

Metal Gear

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/12/10...umgames-title/

....What?

Well that was...surprising. Who could have seen this coming? I mean I know Kojima wasn't working on it hands on, but considering how much he likes the character...
    Araya, what do you seek?
    「アラヤ、何を求める」
    ------True wisdom.
    「――――真の叡智を」
    Araya, where do you seek it?
    「アラヤ、何処に求める」
    Only within myself.
    「――――ただ、己が内にのみ」
    Araya, what is your favorite color?
    「アラヤ、好きな色は?」
    Blue. No, ora-- Auuuuuuuugh!
    「青、いや、オレンジイイイイイアアアっ!」

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors celsius's Avatar
    I like how Raiden is completely out of character in this trailer. Are we sure this isn't just Kojima trolling again?

I don't even know lol. I didn't get to Guns of the Patriots so I don't know if his character changed all that much from player identification or in what ways. He kills people though it seems, and that at least is in line with his character.
    Araya, what do you seek?
    「アラヤ、何を求める」
    ------True wisdom.
    「――――真の叡智を」
    「アラヤ、何処に求める」
    Only within myself.
    「――――ただ、己が内にのみ」
    「アラヤ、好きな色は?」
    「青、いや、オレンジイイイイイアアアっ!」

Quote Originally Posted by terraablaze View Post
    I don't even know lol. I didn't get to Guns of the Patriots so I don't know if his character changed all that much from player identification.
    In Guns of the Patriots, he was considerably more subdued and less emotive overall. Rather suicidal too.

Blog Entries
    Metal Gear's conception of cyborgs has now convinced me that the real reason there were no more Holy Grail Wars is because Servants became obsolete in the near future, and that past humans and their superiority can just bend over and take it from modern technology.

This was a lame way of saying HOLY SHIT did Raiden just grab that giant robot and start swinging it around despite being at a clear mechanical disadvantage on top of the obvious insurmountable difference in mass!? Just so we're clear.
    Last edited by Mcjon01; December 10th, 2011 at 08:18 PM.

^^
    Well depending on when the game takes place there will be reason for why he acts like he does.
    ^
    Yeah I got it the first time (serious editing right there), Raiden reached and then exceeded Solidus levels of crazy. Hey look I can kill Metal Gears without heavy artillery as well! And I don't even need a sub machine gun to do it!
    Araya, what do you seek?
    「アラヤ、何を求める」
    ------True wisdom.
    「――――真の叡智を」
    「アラヤ、何処に求める」
    Only within myself.
    「――――ただ、己が内にのみ」
    「アラヤ、好きな色は?」
    「青、いや、オレンジイイイイイアアアっ!」

Quote Originally Posted by terraablaze View Post
    ^^
    Well depending on when the game takes place there will be reason for why he acts like he does.
    ^
    Yeah I got it the first time (serious editing right there), Raiden reached and then exceeded Solidus levels of crazy. Hey look I can kill Metal Gears without heavy artillery as well! And I don't even need a sub machine gun to do it!
    Well it can't take place after MGS4, since he got a new, more "human-looking" body at the end. And it probably isn't before it either, since if he already has his cyborg body, that would mean that he's already suicidally depressed and angsty and "Jack is dead" at that point.

Also, who needs the Holy Grail when you have nanomachines? Nanomachines can do everything, from turning ordinary people into perfect soldier to curing cancer.

I don't know man, this obviously isn't the same Metal Gear Rising (hence the title change), Metal Gear Solid Rising was much more sombre and the controls looked more controlled and deliberate. It hasn't been announced yet, so maybe they are going to release both games (doubt it).

Also, when his visor slid together it was so, how to say, Viewtiful.
    Araya, what do you seek?
    「アラヤ、何を求める」
    ------True wisdom.
    「――――真の叡智を」
    「アラヤ、何処に求める」
    Only within myself.
    「――――ただ、己が内にのみ」
    「アラヤ、好きな色は?」
    「青、いや、オレンジイイイイイアアアっ!」

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six Chaos Greyblood's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The answers as to how Raiden got built up as the new Cyborg Ninja (And against his will, mind you), Rising should provide the answers. You might want to have a bag with you if your have a weak stomach. I'll be willing to bet the process will be Nightmare Fuel material.

Also, fuck nanomachines! Medical science has really gone a long way in the MetalGearverse if they managed to get Raiden completely back to normal. Just check the surgical scars on this body and you'll have a good idea how the Cyborg Ninja operation went.
    It's easy to believe in ideals, but it's harder to keep them when things go bad.

Hey, guys! Come visit Chaos Greyblood's Fanfiction Idea thread! Let us create stories and worlds together. :3
    Follow me on Twitter!
    DA FINGAAAALAAAAZAR!!!
    DAT SEXY VICTORY POSE!
    Fanfic project No. 1: The Hell Biker

I understand the complaints but here are my thoughts on them:

a)"This isn't a Metal Gear game waaaaaaah!!!!"
    If you mean this isn't a sneaking mission where you can avoid killing people then no, but a developer isn't required to make every game set in an prior established setting have the same gameplay or even the same type. I like Mario platformers and I also love Luigi's Mansion, the Mario RPGs, and Yoshi's Island.
    Also, we always knew this game was going to be an action game, it really feels silly to complain about that now, just don't buy the game.

b) "It's too silly and over the top! Metal Gear isn't silly or over the top!"
    Not even sure how to respond to this one. Metal Gear games have always been incredibly silly. Yes, I understand they were also very serious (or tried to be anyway) but there were also a lot of juvenile poop jokes, vampires running on water, and extreme meta references. The main difference is that Metal Gear Solid games tend to throw this ridiculous crap at you with a straight face, even things that were obviously supposed to be funny like a guy pissing on you as you sneaked past. This one almost seems to be barely holding back a wink.

My main complaint is that I was kind of looking forward to the Rising game that could have been. Yeah the controls looked potentially awkward but it looked different, this just looks fun. If a game is going to break away from how it has always done things I would prefer it try to do something new and risky as opposed to something else someone has already done. But then again Platinum games, I guess I can't really blame them. Seriously when did the switch over happen?

Edit: besides just a change in developers, I think a main reason for the change in tone could be because of the gameplay. Stealth games tend to feel more quite and subdued because you are spending extended amount of time being quite and stressfully trying to get past flying super drones. So even though the gameplay sections are bookended by crazy ninjas and Revolver Ocelot there could be a sense of balance. In this game Raiden is cutting people up left and right and apparently has an excess of electrolytes flowing through his body.
    Last edited by terraablaze; December 11th, 2011 at 11:16 AM.
    Araya, what do you seek?
    「アラヤ、何を求める」
    ------True wisdom.
    「――――真の叡智を」
    「アラヤ、何処に求める」
    Only within myself.
    「――――ただ、己が内にのみ」
    「アラヤ、好きな色は?」
    「青、いや、オレンジイイイイイアアアっ!」

Gläubig müssen die nicht sein, daran glauben müssen sie I3uster's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I won't complain as long as I can 17Dissect some Metal Gears

...reminds me, I should get the HD remakes and 4 already.
    [04:55] Lianru: i3uster is actuallly quite cute

Blog Entries
    I already had MGS4 for more than 2 years and it's possible that the HD collection is in my future.

Konami, though, has craptastic balance issues when it comes to MGO. Rolling does next to nothing when you want to dodge attacks, people headshot you from far, far away and you can't even touch them without your rapid fire weapons nearly spreading all out despite having them on Level 3 and you whittle down your opponent's health by teadrops while you're OHK'd. And they don't even bother to check out these issues so that more players have a better chance to do better games.

I sort of gave up after a while not too long ago. It can get almost as bad as Modern Warfare. =/

@terrablaze: Is there word they're going to keep the plot as hinted and told on the Metal Gear Solid Database? It would feel like a slap in the face on the continuity if they don't show what happends to Raiden before and after his 'transformation', as well as Paradise Lost' involvement in helping him out.
    Last edited by Chaos Greyblood; December 11th, 2011 at 02:14 PM.
    It's easy to believe in ideals, but it's harder to keep them when things go bad.

Hey, guys! Come visit Chaos Greyblood's Fanfiction Idea thread! Let us create stories and worlds together. :3
    Follow me on Twitter!
    DA FINGAAAALAAAAZAR!!!
    DAT SEXY VICTORY POSE!

Blog Entries
    The gameplay it's very DMC like it seems, not sure if it is a good thing though...

@Chaos
    I don't know. Maybe they decided to tell a different story, maybe not. Just from what we have seen it looks like there are hints of a Hideo Kojima script that was for the first time ever given an editing (Kojima apparently never used an editor, probably why all the spoken dialouge feels stream of consciousness). It's not like Kojima has never been deceptive about what we were going to get from a Metal Gear game (sudden Raiden reveal lololol suck it internet era). I don't know what this Metal Gear Database you speak of is so it really doesn't matter to me one way or the other.
    Araya, what do you seek?
    「アラヤ、何を求める」
    ------True wisdom.
    「――――真の叡智を」
    「アラヤ、何処に求める」
    Only within myself.
    「――――ただ、己が内にのみ」
    「アラヤ、好きな色は?」
    「青、いや、オレンジイイイイイアアアっ!」

Blog Entries
    The only "DLC" ever offered for MGS4. It's a giant database of MGS information for the PS3, though I'd be shocked if it isn't transcribed somewhere by now. You could censor it to hide information from MGS4 if you hadn't played it yet, but all that really did was black out 35,892 instances of the word "nanomachines".

I find that hilarious because of Sons of Liberty.
    Araya, what do you seek?
    「アラヤ、何を求める」
    ------True wisdom.
    「――――真の叡智を」
    「アラヤ、何処に求める」
    Only within myself.
    「――――ただ、己が内にのみ」
    「アラヤ、好きな色は?」
    「青、いや、オレンジイイイイイアアアっ!」

Blog Entries
    Of course, there's also the rest of the reveals about the members of the Patriots and how they got there as well as their final fates, amongst other things. There's even Ocelot having played his role as Liquid Ocelot via self-hypnosis and it was actually a little true that Liquid's spirit was on his right arm that Ocelot himself used in MGS2. You'll notice it when you fight Ocelot at the end and see his new arm. Notice that Liquid's arm had a bar code and you'll see how that played out.

Follow me on Twitter!
    DA FINGAAAALAAAAZAR!!!
    DAT SEXY VICTORY POSE!

If I hadn't already been spoilered about Liquid Ocelot I would be so mad right now.
    Araya, what do you seek?
    「アラヤ、何を求める」
    ------True wisdom.
    「――――真の叡智を」
    「アラヤ、何処に求める」
    Only within myself.
    「――――ただ、己が内にのみ」
    「アラヤ、好きな色は?」
    「青、いや、オレンジイイイイイアアアっ!」

Blog Entries
    Yeah, wasn't it that in MGS2, Liquid Ocelot was literally Liquid taking over Ocelot's body, but then at some point after that Ocelot was like "fuck that shit" and got the arm replaced? And then replaced his personality with Liquid's anyway on purpose, because crazyplots is the name of the Metal Gear game.

I heard the self hypnosis thing was a "retcon" (in a sense but not really since I don't think we are ever specifically told by Hideo that was what was happening) of the arm takeover deal in Sons of Liberty and then it carried over to Guns of the Patriots.
    Araya, what do you seek?
    「アラヤ、何を求める」
    ------True wisdom.
    「――――真の叡智を」
    「アラヤ、何処に求める」
    Only within myself.
    「――――ただ、己が内にのみ」
    「アラヤ、好きな色は?」
    「青、いや、オレンジイイイイイアアアっ!」