Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3811121314151823 ... LastLast

Thread: A Fond Farewell to TYPE-Moon

I regret starting with KnK movies which I still consider my favorite piece of TM media.

全力後輩 - Zenryoku Kohai Altima of the Gates's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    This is arrogant for me to comment
    but I just wish they experienced first something better
    I'll be the harsh one and say they might not want to experience what you perceive as "better" and will like what they like, and some will move forward to those "better" titles.
    You have no control over that. I've tried to introduce more things than FGO to people, but its palatable for the same reasons people made a thousand and one grail war fanfics following the same formulas for years. Or shonens use the same tropes but we have them be one of the wider reaching pieces of anime media globally.
    So yes, they might just want to have their cheeseburger, not the filet mignon you want to offer. And sometimes, a cheeseburger is just fine.

"Fate/stay night: not really an eroge, and not really a cooking sim, but actually an RPG wherein everyone’s primary stat is “self-loathing” and the goal is to level it up beyond all the other characters."

but I just wish they experienced first something better
    Many of the old fans started from Deen FSN or anime-that-doesn't-exist, I wouldn't call it very good starting material either.

Blog Entries
    Alienated as they are, you have no right to directly enforce the masses to content you may perceive as better. Even if the junk they consume is reused, repeated, low effort, and a highly schematized machine of torture and profit, it is their right to remain blissfully ignorant in it, and there is nothing to be done.
    Call me 想φαγω.
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooncake View Post
    I get this vague feeling from your posts that you're looking down on people who don't share your view, which is what it is, but at least take a moment to snort some common sense between those hits of pretension.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
    My opinion is better than your opinion, so it isn't up for debate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun
    Telling us that you're rich is not going to make anyone stop laughing at you for believing in self-insert NTR.
    Quote Originally Posted by ResidentSeagull View Post
    You seriously underestimate the human potential for wanting to fuck stuff, my dude.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan
    Welcome to BL, new user. Don't forget to fate/stay mad

Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    Fair point. As a Zero secondary, it took me about 2 years to finally read the VN after creating an account here. Still not sure about KnK novels or reading Tsukihime, but it might happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

Blog Entries
    As someone who has played, and paid money into it, I can say with confidence that FGO is objectively bad, and while its revenue stream has been beneficial and there are some benefits to aspects of it, its overall impact on the setting as a whole is a negative.
    • The game is a miserable vehicle for the stories that it tells, many of which would be best served as standalone projects with their own protagonists rather than strung together as part of a meta-narrative with a self-insert MC with essentially no identity outside of the occasional 4th-wall-breaking comedic response. None of which have any actual significance to the plot. It's a sad day when Cardboard-kun has more character than you.
    • The gameplay is monotonous to the point of insanity and the gacha is miserable even by gacha standards, without touching Capitalism and gambling.
    • It introduces a host of characters, many of which are interesting but ill-served by the medium and their roles in the game but are present for financial reasons and little else. Of the ones that do see significant development, it has an ugly tendency to focus on ones that already enjoy popularity through their presence in other media.
    • The meta-narrative itself is toxic to further projects within the setting proper due to its timeline-hopping nature, having displayed through its various Events that it touches (or is) the Prime Branch, versions of EXTRA's timeline, KnK, Prototype in some capacity, and the Servant Universe, and will undoubtedly touch the Tsukihime-side timelines despite those supposedly being incapable of producing Servants. Specifically, the role Ritsuka and Chaldea's Servants play in the setting is one of an absolute fixer that resolves any sufficiently terrible event. This undermines any story that would include a potential "threat to humanity." Which will now, due to FGO's existence, include every entry into the setting henceforth for the sake of tie-in Events. This in turn means that the actions of the characters in those works are inherently less significant, as should they fail, Guda will just show up and fix everything anyway, almost certainly saving the major characters and adding some bastardized version of them to the Servant roster. The existence of Chaldea undermines the actual risk involved in the setting while also making small-scale, personal stories where humanity-threatening events don't happen highly unlikely to be made in the future. For financial reasons.

That FGO brought people into the fandom is undeniable. I have no problem with that, or them. It bankrolls other projects. Projects that are much desired and long-awaited. But the game itself should not be. It's a cash grab that is otherwise detrimental to the setting and to the stories and characters it contains in its framework. TM was already making games other than Visual Novels by the time it appeared; Unlimited Codes, EXTRA, its sequels, Tiger Colo, and more, some of which are good and some of which are dubious. Likewise anime of varying quality, to say nothing of novels. FGO, however, was a mistake. A fabulously lucrative one. But a mistake. And it is one that will likely never go away so long as the setting continues.

This is my opinion on it. Agree or disagree is up to you, but my mind is unlikely to change on it.
    Asha Records
    Fuyuki - Winter Cleaning
    My Shameful Fics and the Wiki to go with them. Oh, and some fossil I found.
    [16:43] <Twelveseal> Phallus in wonderland sounds like some bad loli-rape KC fanfic
    [16:43] <@Sei> THAT'S what i wanna see

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I'd like to chime in here. I always had sensed that Beast's Lair is just bitter about FGO. You seem like a bunch of jaded fans that didn't want anything to change but enjoy the depths of the lore to the extent that its detrimental to the fandom.
    I don't really know about BL in general that much but being bitter about FGO? I wonder why? It's almost as if a certain doujin company made them feel that way...

FGO comes along and brings in a lot of casual players to the fandom. I think this is where the saltiness comes in. Old veterans don't want a bunch of secondaries entering the fandom and don't like that type moon is permanently changed by FGO. The thing is fate has changed for the better. One of the neatest things about fate are servants and the idea that so many people from history and mythology could become one. Old type moon didn't do much to make new characters very often, FGO made it so that they had to for gatcha money.
    Personally I think FGO ruined their Fate image even more now and adding secondaries just adds fuel to it.

Weather it was a main story or a silly event since FGO came about there has been a major influx of new content. You claim that FGO has somehow killed or delayed whatever you think type moon would have made but I think of what we wouldn't have if FGO didn't happen. Many servants like Mushasi, Raikou, Anatasia, Ishtar and Queen Meab were made for the game.
    Nasu: FGO introduced a lot of new lore. But FGO's scale is only that large because TsukiR was produced first and laid that groundwork. Without TsukiR, FGO would have ended as a much smaller story. In that sense, pausing TsukiR's production to produce FGO paid off, and we'll get the brand new experience of seeing people learning what those plot points they've seen in FGO were about.
    This was just a recent interview and even if this wasn't out said by him, it's pretty obvious FGO did delay their main works, you can't argue that. Yes, they were made for that game but at the end of the day they are fgo servants, sluts, or fan service.

Instead of complaining about FGO, don't play it if you don't like it. The gatcha money is making the Tsukimhime remake better anyways, and all the stuff they didn't make because of FGO is happening now. As a fan that loved type moon before FGO I can say the change is good, and for me FGO was the best thing to happen. I like the game, it's gameplay and what it added to the universe.
    The gacha money is making Tsukhime better? Please on what planet did u find this info on? I'm going to take a guess it was probably Uranus. The only "good change" I can see from this is only business wise that is it and if FGO was the reason to make the other stuff they didn't make well that's just disappointing.

To each his own, right?
    I probably would've liked FGO more if it was a intended spin off and not a gacha. Heck, I probably would've all been for a FGO mmorpg if it was something TM wanted to do.

Your not a TYPE MOON fan if you don't even own a TM Merch or haven't fapped to a TM character.

Blog Entries
    Not going to lie, if FGO had had a different game model and been less all-consuming in scope, I would probably like it. An MMORPG would have been far more enjoyable, especially if it hadn't tied in to all of the various timelines it does and was more self-contained.
    Asha Records
    Fuyuki - Winter Cleaning
    [16:43] <Twelveseal> Phallus in wonderland sounds like some bad loli-rape KC fanfic

I actually like the sprawling timelines that FGO brought into play. Self-containedness is overrated, infinite crossover potential FTW.
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

Blog Entries
    Yeah, no. See, the thing with the Nasuverse is you could previously just make whatever timeline parameters you wanted (even if it was something that'd normally get Pruned) and it would still make sense and could be lore-friendly. You don't need crossovers in the Nasuverse because you can just screw with the timeline you're working with so that it's not actually a crossover at all.

FGO's design effectively makes it a sort of contagion that hops from one distinct timeline to another and links them all, thus creating the sort of stake-undermining failsafe I mentioned. Which, to me, diminishes the significance of future, and past, characters in their own plots from the perspective of the reader.
    Asha Records
    Fuyuki - Winter Cleaning

Yeah, I was partially joking with the infinite crossover FTW part, but I still like FGO's timeline linking narrative since it has established exactly how timelines differ and how the whole structure works. Moreover, yeah, there are events in other time trees, but for the most part, FGO sticks to its own time tree, and there's even the implication that the bleaching of the Earth actually got rid of all the time trees and condensed it all into one human history. Also, I have a soft spot for 'verses that involve a ton of timeline shenanigans and explore the nature of history and the passage of time itself.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I think you're mistaking Chaldea with Zelretch. Chaldea only looks at its own branch, Zelretch is the benevolent force observing the full Nasuverse and providing a failsafe whenever he feels like he has to.

I wasn't sure if the bleaching affected other time trees or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Twelveseal View Post
    Yeah, no. See, the thing with the Nasuverse is you could previously just make whatever timeline parameters you wanted (even if it was something that'd normally get Pruned) and it would still make sense and could be lore-friendly. You don't need crossovers in the Nasuverse because you can just screw with the timeline you're working with so that it's not actually a crossover at all.

FGO's design effectively makes it a sort of contagion that hops from one distinct timeline to another and links them all, thus creating the sort of stake-undermining failsafe I mentioned. Which, to me, diminishes the significance of future, and past, characters in their own plots from the perspective of the reader.
    what.
    There is no timeline hopping in FGO. all the stuff happens in the same branch. The singularity are self contained time bubbles that happens on that branch, even the Lostbelts are "painted" over the same identical branch. The only timeline hoppers we saw were Musashi and Arthur, the protagonists can't hop at all.
    Last edited by Herod; August 18th, 2021 at 09:11 PM.
    Because you are too young. Or too stupid. Or both.

JP Friend Code
    nonexistant
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubergeneral View Post
    FGO does fit in with the theme of fate. Its about Heroic spirits and how they reafirm humanity and history. The clash is with the fate of humanity rather than a personal battle within ones self. So it does fit the theme of fate, just in a different way.
    That's what Fate the franchise became, not what Fate/stay night was. No one can read Answer and tell me with a straight face that FSN is about the clash of humanity's fate or however you put it instead of a personal battle.
    I don't think we're quite having the same conversation here.

Quote Originally Posted by Ubergeneral View Post
    disagree. Each story semi-stands alone. So when new characters are added they have a story that comes with it. New stories new characters. This isn't a problem at all IMO
    I don't know what you're disagreeing with. You were the one that said characters were added because of the gacha. If that's the reason they're added then the narrative throughline has a chance of not meshing with the character as well as it could've been if it was all done with the single purpose of telling a single story.

Given your description, feels more like characters and their stories are like pieces of lego. Now lego can be used to build some impressive things but it won't match the quality of something built from scratch.
    burn your dread you coward

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    I think you're mistaking Chaldea with Zelretch. Chaldea only looks at its own branch, Zelretch is the benevolent force observing the full Nasuverse and providing a failsafe whenever he feels like he has to.
    Nope. This is something distinct from Zel's role as Observer Observer in-continuity and has everything to do with both FGO's Event model and the various realities its canonical Events crossover with.

Quote Originally Posted by Herod View Post
    what.
    There is no timeline hopping in FGO. all the stuff happens in the same branch. The singularity are self contained time bubbles that happens on that branch, even the Lostbelts are "painted" over the same identical branch. The only timeline hoppers we saw were Musashi and Arthur, the protagonists can't hop at all.
    Mhmmm, yes, yes. We're still dealing with timeline crossing BS that I have no doubt will continue to expand with time.
    Last edited by Twelveseal; August 18th, 2021 at 09:14 PM.
    Asha Records
    Fuyuki - Winter Cleaning

Nope. This is something distinct from Zel's role as Observer Observer in-continuity and has everything to do with both FGO's Event model and the various realities its canonical Events crossover with.
    Like what? Can you please identify an event where you actually travel in another timeline?

I think they're counting events like the Apocrypha event, Accel Zero Order, the Case Files event and so on, even though most of those are Singularities and not time trees.

Blog Entries
    No. I'm looking at the inevitability of the Tsuki crossover.
    Asha Records
    Fuyuki - Winter Cleaning

No. I'm looking at the inevitability of the Tsuki crossover.
    It will simply be another bubble that has no effect on the Tsukihime storyline at all, just as usual.