Thread: Recommended Type-Moon Fanfics Discussion II: Electric Boogaloo

JP Friend Code
    073,368,820/Kyte
    US Friend Code
    ded
    Blog Entries
    I'm onto you.

Quote Originally Posted by Raven2785 View Post
    I don't think he needs to, he's got plenty of fic's pretty high up there, sure they're not right next to freaking Chaos Theory but they're not at the bottom either.
    Clearly that's not enough!

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyte View Post
    I'm onto you.
    All according to my calculations.

But seriously, I don't really read a lot of Nasuverse fanfiction, so I feel compelled to at least say why I liked the few that I have and really enjoyed.

Blog Entries
    I've already given each of these a +1. I'm simply elaborating. The basic version is that each one is the shining example of what it does.

Chaos Theory: The closest we will ever get to an Illya route, and we are lucky to have it. Moczo's talent should really speak for itself, but let's talk about how everyone is spot on and in fine form as Moczo takes one of the simplest points of divergence possible and spins into a fantastic epic. No Shirou being adopted by someone new or learning a never-before-seen school of magecraft. It's a simple case of the actual characters acting the way they actually would, and it is GLORIOUS. The prose is solid, the grammar tight, the pacing brisk without being incoherent. There is no waste or want for more this story.

Tainted Ideals: The best interpretation of "Shirou adopted by Kirei" I've ever seen. It's been teased at with some fan art and a handful of writers posting vignettes, but stormedge really hit it out of the park with this one. Shirou is more than a mere Kirei clone, having grown into a character that is amazingly familiar and foreign all at once. It makes great grounds for some consideration of the nurture vs. nature debate when so much of his character has clearly been shaped by Kirei and so much of it remains the same in spite of dear old "Dad." That alone is worth the price of admission, but the toss up Servant-Master combinations are fantastic. A lot of authors throw new Servants into the mix just because, but stormedge has clearly put a lot of thought into how well (and how poorly) these characters come together. It is fascinating to watch, for instance, Shirou and Assassin's dangerously co-dependent relationship develop just as I have enjoyed seeing Rin and Rider mix like oil and water. This story even saddles Shirou with a new power set that manages to be both fascinating and believable in a fandom polluted by God-modding Shirous. Great premise, great fight scenes, great execution.

Eureka: I would say this is both "slow burn" and "whacky premise" done right. Velsper does a fantastic job of weaving us through this topsy-turvy world in a way that isn't chomping at the bit to get to the Holy Grail War, which leaves us ample time to get acquainted with his wonderful take on the cast. For those looking for familiar faces, what Velsper has done with the likes of Shinji has to be seen to believed. For those looking for original flavor, his stab at Berserker and her quirks are incredibly fascinating. The Prototype cameos are also shaping up to be something great, which is, in and of itself, another great sign of something Velsper does right: The story is always building. There are slice of life shenanigans to be had, but the story never drags or gets so lost in the quirky comedy that it loses sight of its overarching themes and conflict.

Phantoms: A dark, dreary story that I cannot stop reading. This is "darkfic" at its zenith. There is an edge here hardly ever seen in Fate fanfiction, and it all spills out to us in gorgeous, terrifying first-person prose. I normally dislike needlessly negative things, so here's where Burnout succeeds: He has taken the bloody, deceitful world of mages and spun it out to its logical conclusion. The story is grim, no doubt, but it's not quite misanthropic enough to be dark for the sake of being dark. It's a big, scary world, but our anti-hero isn't going to take it lying down. There is a sense of consistency in this world, which allowed a bunch of power-hungry magi to turn Fuyuki into a slaughterhouse in the first place. In a strange way, this story is one of the truest successors to Nasu's ideas I've ever seen both in lurking sense of dread and the stubborn sense of defiance threaded throughout. The two ideas compete at a basic level, but Burnout has threaded them together in a powerful story of moral grays. This is Fate with all the restraining bolts stripped away, barreling toward a violent, poignant conclusion at which I can only guess. Burnout isn't afraid to get dirty with a first-person POV that could so easily go wrong (it hasn't), a haunting style of prose that is never too sterile or too stilted and a sense that there aren't really heroes, just varying degrees of guilt.

Edit: Unless we're not actually doing this, in which case I want these minutes of my life back.
    Last edited by Imperial; November 28th, 2012 at 05:32 PM.

US Friend Code
    I am new to this and after looking at the recommended I recognized I had not voted yet a lot of good story's were already recommended so I am adding a vote to the following
    Chaos Theory, by Moczo (FF.net)
    It really manages to capture what I feel a Illya route should look like one of the things I like best is that all chacters evolves as the story progress in a believable way.

Tainted Ideals, by Stormedge (FF.net)
    I have wanted to find a good kotomine Shirou story for a while now Stormedge more than delivered with interesting characterization and power nature and nurture are very well done.

The Hill of Swords, by Gabriel Blessing
    Easily one of my favorite fics despite the fact Shirou feels more like Emiya the story evolves everyone needed. And let no one say Gabe is bad at writing battle scenes.

Eureka, by VelsperTheCat
    A fic that made me root for Shinji of all people with my hate of him this is a big accomplishment in my mind.

Dear Tohsaka, by Tobias
    A story that can touch you in the heart and proceed to rip it off and stomp on it. It made me have tears in my eyes.

That Ever Illusive Utopia, by Elf As someone
    As someone who really likes Archer and Saber (Favorite and 3rd favorite in verse respectively) This story really manages to make them connect in a believable and touching way.

Fletching, by AlfheimWanderer
    As someone who was looking for an archer origin story that is believable I found it here. It also pairs Shirou and Ciel and makes me route for them to become happy.

Shared Resonance of Possession Experience, by Arashi Leonheart (FF.net)
    A short story but one that can make you care for the characters.

I Put On My Robe and Wizard Hat, by VelsperTheCat
    Once I started reading it I could hardly tear my eyes off it while there were parts I disliked. The parts I liked outweighed it.

Fate/Night Sky, by fraggle
    A story that manages to crossover very well.

All from a Hospital Bed, by NamesAreHardToComeUpWith (FF.net)
    A oneshot that made me feel extremely interested.

Remember, by GoldenLark (SB thread)
    One of the amazing storys where Archer going back with the characters almost completely beliveable

Mahou Senki: Lyrical Days, by Heroslayer (FF.net)
    As the story that has spawned more than a 100 pages with my setting at 50 posts per page...

Shinderella, by RadiantBeam and Moczo
    Something that had me constantly laughing my ribs hurt a lot after reading it but is was so worth it.

I Am Not There, by Arashi Leonheart
    Something I have just read it really managed to touch you in your heart with its ambiguity and touching moments.

Prismatic Chaos, by Alyeris (FF.net)
    I generally avoid GB because they are almost all shit but this story really takes GB and makes it a good story proving that anything can be made into a good story with a great enough author.

Path of the King, by Neoalfa
    One of the very few storys that has Shirou intervening as a vigilante in a very good way.

Holding Back The Sea, by Ryuugi (SB thread)
    The only story I know of that actually manages to cross PJ/fate in a very interesting way.

The Trinity Series, by Kieran
    An extremely long series which takes an OC and makes you care about him because of the flaws he has.

Faker (part of the Verg AvestaChristmas Special 1), by Verg Avesta
    The beginning just wow it really manages to take the mind of steel and show us the path it would take.

Lives And Times Of Kaleido Shirou Schweinorg, by Various
    The only story that really explores Shirou as a second magic use it to be essentially a multiverse wanderer.
    Last edited by rajvir; November 28th, 2012 at 05:59 PM. Reason: after looking at it the ffirst time I dont explain my reasonssons

JP Friend Code
    073,368,820/Kyte
    US Friend Code
    ded
    Blog Entries
    It nets you a nice promotion from the ranks of the faceless +1s. :V

黒いスサノヲ, Black Susano'oh IhaxlikeNoob's Avatar
    Good thing I elaborate on some of my +1s.
    Last edited by IhaxlikeNoob; November 28th, 2012 at 07:22 PM.
    NASUVERSE STAMPEDE!!!

US Friend Code
    It nets you a nice promotion from the ranks of the faceless +1s. :V
    Thanks it took a while to put all of my thoughts into words add the fact that I am a slow typer and that took a while.

JP Friend Code
    073,368,820/Kyte
    US Friend Code
    ded
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rajvir View Post
    Thanks it took a while to put all of my thoughts into words add the fact that I am a slow typer and that took a while.
    Actually that'd been directed to Imperial. ŹŹ
    Not to be mean but I'm slightly on the fence now.

On one hand, you did put a good bunch of effort.
    On the other, they're basically one-liners and while that is not bad per se if I don't get mean and annoying picky everyone will get on the bandwagon and it'll end up defeating the purpose of the [collapse] tag and forcing me to figure out a new way to do things. So what to do...

No exceptions, they lead to bad things.
    Last edited by Kyte; November 29th, 2012 at 11:12 AM.

Only Love :http://archiveofourown.org/works/575375
    Summary: "You cannot save people, you can only love them." Anais Nin. Heaven's Feel spoilers
    A well written shortstory by wingless at archiveofourown
    Can't really write much about it without spoilers so yeah it's nice.
    Characters are Shirou,Saber,Kotomine and Sakura

Don't @ me if your fanfic doesn't even have Shirou/Illya shipping k thnx ItsaRandomUsername's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    Fate/ fanfiction dump go.

Well, one isn't entirely Fate/. Still centric around the Fate/-side, though that counts.

Title: In a Ruined Castle

Author:
    Icura

Summary:
    As the conclusion of Unlimited Blade Works approaches Gilgamesh finds out just whose soul the cycle of reincarnation caused Shirou to end up with, and this knowledge dangerously fuels his obsession with him. But that energy is redirected. No longer does the King of Heroes wish to destroy the Faker. Instead, he wants to possess him. Manages to make Gilgamesh's omnicidal motivations justifiable and sympathetic whilst also retaining his signature haughty arrogance and power. Worth reading for the final duel.

Link:
    https://sites.google.com/site/tatari...e/tmffc/ruined

Personal Review:
    A Gil/Shirou brofic. Dead serious. While some liberties are taken or otherwise outright jossed by future releases of information from official sources its all for a good cause. The ending is kinda on the weak side, but otherwise the story is still worth it.

Title: The Loli Grail War

Author:
    Twelveseal

Summary:
    With a premise that is is something out of crackfic territory, "All the Servants in a Grail War are little girl Type-MOON characters," the kid gloves come off and the gauntlet that will decide the fate of and the world will be thrown. Unexpectedly dark, but not without cause, and capable of dishing out both humor, horror, and drama with practiced ease. Also responsible for further perpetuating SURFING ZELRETCH.

Link:
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com/showthread...Loli-Grail-War

Personal Review:
    This one's a bit of a cult classic. There really isn't any other story quite like it. A staggering amount of thought and effort has been put into making a downright visceral story. Few punches are pulled and LGW really hits home about what a Grail War between magi ends up being like in spite of the vast change in Servants. It's not all fun-and-games with the girls here; these ladies are as cunning and merciless and powerful as any canon Servant looking to win out there. One of the biggest draws of the story is that its all held together by a sense of connectedness, with multiple POVs, frequent references and reasonable expansions to T-M lore, numerous guest appearances of various dramatis personae from different franchises (from Prisma Illya to Tsukihime and even Angel Notes), the utilization of otherwise underused background characters that get their own fifteen minutes, and deep backstories and new insights into characters you thought you already knew. Also one of the few stories out there to contain a realistically sympathetic Shinji that you'd actually want to root for. It sometimes even manages to be frequently poignant. By Lord does it take liberties and some messing around with the setting's mechanics, but its mostly acceptable and all for the sake of having fun.

Warnings:
    Loads and loads of characters. Infrequent updates as of late. Lemons. Gore. A couple of OCs. Instances of genderbending.

Title: Fate/Genesis

Author:
    Verg Avesta

Summary:
    The tale of the First Holy Grail War is one closely linked with failure. That much anyone knows. Though the ritual may not have delivered on its pipe-dream promise of glory and achievement the story of Makar Zolgen, Justeaze Von Einzbern, Nagato Tohsaka, and the rest of the people who fought within it is still worth telling. Fate/Genesis is a thing of thoughtful worldbuilding with an emphasis on meaningful character-driven development (prior to the War, which has yet to start). Though the cast might as well be original characters due to a lack of canon-confirmed personality for the most of them back in that era their interactions are meant to be humanizing and personal.

Link:
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com/showthread...5-Fate-Genesis

Personal Review:
    Though the cast might as well be original characters due to a lack of canon-confirmed personality for the most of them back in that era their interactions are meant to be humanizing and personal. Includes a Makiri Zolgen before he became the old worm man whom you truly want to wish the best for in spite of what we know he'll become, and his relationship with the soon-to-be core of the Grail Justeaze Von Einzbern.

Warning: OCs.

Title:
    Didn't Even Make It... series

Author:
    Arashi_Leonhart

Summary:
    Because sometimes you just want a quick fix of Fate/stay night smut of your choice without it being bogged down by an overarching plot. Has something for everyone.

Pairing(s):
    ALL THE PAIRINGS

Links:
    Shirou x Rin, Shirou x Saber, Shirou x Sakura, Shirou x Caren, Shirou x Illya

Warnings:
    Lemons? No shit, Sherlock.
    Last edited by ItsaRandomUsername; November 29th, 2012 at 01:08 AM.
    McJon01: We all know that the real reason Archer would lose to Rider is because the events of his own Holy Grail War left him with a particular weakness toward "older sister" types.
    My Fanfics. Read 'em. Or not.

God have mercy on my rolls... Servant Shiki's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Noir
    +1 for the Didn't Even Make It series, can't believe I forgot about it.
    Lancer x Archer OTP
    Spoiler:

Shirou: If you can't beat them, join them *eye rolls* burningclaw2's Avatar
    +1 for In a Ruined Castle.
    Words to live by: Fate is a B****, Destiny is a whore, while Karma is just doing her job.

Violence solves all problems. If its not working then you are not using enough.
    Even though I am male after taking a 'Which Fate/stay night Character are you?' quiz I am...

Tohsaka Rin You are Rin. Cool and collected, you think logically about most situations. You strive for self-perfection, and rely on others only for your benefit. You may be cold toward most people, but you can be friendly when you try. Indeed, it could be said you enjoy helping others that you care for. Whatever the case, you tend to think logically and don't let emotions cloud your judgement.

黒いスサノヲ, Black Susano'oh IhaxlikeNoob's Avatar
    +1 for "In a Ruined Castle", even though I laughed at some points because I know it's totally wrong; however the fic was already released/out before it was shown to 'be' wrong.

It's still a good piece of writing though, and fully recommend it.
    NASUVERSE STAMPEDE!!!

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    +1 for Loli Grail War. Arihiko alone is enough to make it awesome, but Seven just takes the cake. Or bakes it. Can't really remember. Do unicorns even know how to bake cakes? I don't know, but if they did I'm sure Seven would be great. If she took off her hooves at least. I never really figured out the deal with the whole suit thing, but I'm pretty sure hands are necessary to make food. Oh, but if they're not, then sorry for offending all the handless chefs in the world.

and to elaborate on my earlier +1 for Manhattan Project II:
    Five knows how to make original characters. He also knows how to make some damn good plot threads. But most importantly, he knows the meaning of the word 'pacing', and it shows. At a whopping 'god knows how many' words, this is easily one of the longest stories I've read, and its quality has certainly never dipped even once. There's something for everyone here, from awesome army battles, to epic manliness and bromance, to Tears, Nazis, Racism, Bicycle Races and Genderbending. Read it. Now.

Continuing on Manahattan Project II, it also has what might possibly be my favorite Prana Transfer scene ever.
    Spoiler:
    Caesarko and James (It fits so perfectly)

Not like that; it's just that the part that it comes in at and the way it gets handled are refreshing to read compared to normal Prana transfer.
    Last edited by Asdfghl; November 28th, 2012 at 11:09 PM.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    +1 for Loli Grail War. I mean, it is my fault that the thing exists, so voting for it is necessary.

Plus I love how Twelve has managed all the characters. It is one of the few fics where I actually look forward to, and hope for, their interactions, rather than just accepting them as they come along,
    Everything I say is a lie.
    LIKE A KING

Quote Originally Posted by Komrade Kwestions View Post
    "It's not gay, it's magecraft!"

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors BlackField's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I really need to finish Manhattan Project II, its just so long. That bicycle scene was awesome though, possibly my favorite scene in all of fanfiction.

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Note to self: write more about bicycles.

And awwww, you people make me feel all special and fuzzy! Or... are you just trying to coerce more updates out of me!?
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    Note to self: write more about bicycles.

And awwww, you people make me feel all special and fuzzy! Or... are you just trying to coerce more updates out of me!?
    Both. at the same time.

Spoilered for your convenience

Quote Originally Posted by Elf View Post
    Or he just knows that Sakura's vagina isn't the scary place everyone else thinks it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    A good box is like a good woman: thick, sturdy, and easy to get into.
    Quote Originally Posted by eddyak View Post
    Breasts aren't made of concrete. They do change shape- gravity, orientation, momentum.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeopardBear View Post
    I am thy lord thy canon pairing. Thou shalt not have any other pairings before me.
    Quote Originally Posted by oblueknighto View Post
    Horrible people don't like bacon.
    Holy shit man you're magical.
    Words don't have genders you illiterate fucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paitouch View Post
    I am 100% uncultured swine.
    We now live in a world where a Final Fantasy VII remake will exist before the Tsukihime remake.