Thread: Recommended Type-Moon Fanfics Discussion II: Electric Boogaloo

Vigilant. Relied Upon. Vigilantia's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NewAgeOfPower View Post
    Lol kyte, bringing down the hammer!
    Kyte is just being tsundere. :3

All the Evils of My Room Crimson13's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Here's one that I enjoyed not 5 minutes ago. Warning: Zouken should not be around children. Or anybody really. Also Kariya suffering.

Where It Counts

Blog Entries
    Read that a while back, it's fine. I'm stingy with recs, so it doesn't quite make it onto the list, but I can fill in a summary for you at least, and then talk about it myself.

A one-shot, covering Kariya growing up, and his relationships with Aoi, Bakuya and and Zōken over the years until he leaves the Matō household, achieved by vignettes set in certain years of his life.

Reasonable characterisation of Kariya and his family, which I think was really the aim of the 'fic in the first place, so points get given for achieving your goal. Also effective in imagining scenarios which could have happened in Kariya's childhood, and using them.
    On the down side, I kinda wish it had gone on a bit further in time - it's not a bad stopping point, but I think there's still plenty of unexplored or only lightly-covered narrative room which was available, even when you're just trying for a one-shot. Speaking of the end, it's again not bad, but could certainly have been stronger in my opinion. It tried for stark power, but I don't feel the effect was quite there. I also would have liked to see a bit more of the unappetising parts of Kariya's personality: the author hasn't missed it entirely, which is good, but I still feel there was some glossing. As I said, the Matō got reasonable characterisation, but of them I actually felt Zōken was better-done than Kariya, which is a bit of a shame when Kariya's the viewpoint character.
    Beast's Lair: Useful Notes
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

Democracy on Beast's Lair

JP Friend Code
    Pingu
    Blog Entries
    So I don't really think it's to the point where I'd feel comfortable reccing it, but I would like to call all of your attention to 'The Souls of Heroes'. A Demon Souls and F/SN crossover. It's been fairly entertaining so far, not enough for me to rec but pretty good. Here's the thing though, the author just set the stage for something amazing. I want you all to be as eager for the upcoming updates as I am. Even though you won't be. Because Zouken isn't your waifu.

JP Friend Code
    073,368,820/Kyte
    US Friend Code
    ded
    Blog Entries
    Protip: Links are good to direct people to whatever you wanna call attention to.

JP Friend Code
    Pingu
    Blog Entries
    Pro-tip: laziness is unbecoming.

I thought I had. =X

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8493959/...ouls-of-Heroes

Allow me to toss in a rec for A Study In Velvet by Zalgo Jenkins. It's a one-shot fair-play murder mystery (magical, natch) set at the Clock Tower and with a post-Fourth War, pre-Lord El-Melloi II Waver Velvet as the protagonist and detective. That by itself is enough to recommend it, but the clues are fairly presented and the glimpse of Clock Tower life entertaining, and Waver's snarky narration is fun. Well worth a read.
    Quotes & Stuff...No, no stuff, just quotes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Oh, man, you ruined it, I was typing up a big thing about how "three reams" equals 3000 sheets of paper, and that it connects back to the ancient Japanese legend about how folding a thousand paper cranes will grant you a single wish. It was going to be wonderful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotonoha View Post
    Not really, more like he knows that realistically he can't save everyone but he's going to strive to do so no matter what regardless, because Fuck The Ideal Police.
    Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's not procrastination, it's pressure-assisted output management.
    Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    I'm a neckbeard, son. If I ever multiply it'd be through cell division.

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    +1 to Study in Velvet. Zalgo does it again, folks.

Blog Entries
    I second the +1 motion for "A Study in Velvet".

All in favor?
    Xamusel's Fanfiction Profile

For those that don't necessarily care if my fics aren't all Type-Moon related.

Hmm... this is a bit of a surprise these days.

An archive of my works on the forum that's pretty accurate.

Note that I don't wish to be seen as an idiot any longer. I can't always promise better works than before, but I can sure as hell try, alright?

Blog Entries
    +1 for "A Study in Velvet".

Title: Shattered Blades
    Author: DrakeBalkyr
    Summary:
    After several years of traveling the world's battlefields, Enforcer Shirou Emiya finds himself in Shin Tokyo. Leave it to a man with E ranked luck to go on vacation and end up trapped in yet another battle royal between magical beings. Inspired by Gabriel Blessing's In Flight.

In this Fanfic Shirou doesn't replace Minato, instead he becomes the eldest sibling. I think it's a lot better done that In Flight. There is more interaction between Shirou and Karasuba and Takami. Since he didn't go for the harem there are a lot less characters (although the Fanfic is just starting so I'm not sure how long it will stay that way) and there isn't an obscene amount of exposition like there is with In Flight. Overall a pretty decent Fanfic and enjoyable to read.
    Pairing(s): Shirou/Karasuba (at least it looks like it) Shirou/Akitsu(maybe)
    Link:
    http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9343146/1/Shattered-Blade

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ArcherReborn2 View Post
    Inspired by Gabriel Blessing's In Flight.
    This almost merits an automatic -1. I'll read it first instead of being a dick.
    If you can dream—and not make dreams your master;
    If you can think—and not make thoughts your aim,
    If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster;
    And treat those two impostors just the same,

-Ruyard Kipling, "If"

-)|(-

My works [Updated June 21st, 2013]

"From a dusky world with an ever-setting sun, a limitless rain of Ryougi Shiki streaked down from gargantuan gears set in the sky." Fate: Over 9000, my best Crack yet.

Blog Entries
    Did...did Shirou just refer Sekirei's as Types? Hoo boy. And of course, "By the Root." There's also the "Shirou's girlfriends" thing, which IMHO is a rather silly thing to tell your long lost mother, especially if you're not with them anymore anyway - seems like a forced way to inform other characters that he's experienced in harem shenanigans, which is not a comforting development.

On a more important note, is it normal for a story with first person narrative to switch POVs in the same chapter? If so, this one feels rather awkward.

Ergh, I dunno, I guess I'll continue to chapter 3 tomorrow, but I honestly don't feel optimistic about this.

Blog Entries
    ^^ Thanks Tiresias for saying what I was about to say.

Its similar in quality to In Flight without the one advantage IF possesses- gigantic length. And yes, that is what she said.

-Ruyard Kipling, "If"

-)|(-

"From a dusky world with an ever-setting sun, a limitless rain of Ryougi Shiki streaked down from gargantuan gears set in the sky." Fate: Over 9000, my best Crack yet.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors gwonbush's Avatar
    I thought IF's one advantage was when they appear the fight scenes are very cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nasu
    So as to stimulate the reader's imagination, I try not to write too clearly about mechanics and characters' inner workings.
    I am of the personal belief that the Tsukihime Remake is two years from release. It will remain as such until a release date is announced, at which time its actual release date is 6 months after that date.

Blog Entries
    +1 to Study in Velvet, it was a very funny and very well written look at life in the Clock Tower.

Spoilered for your convenience

Quote Originally Posted by Elf View Post
    Or he just knows that Sakura's vagina isn't the scary place everyone else thinks it is.
    A good box is like a good woman: thick, sturdy, and easy to get into.
    Quote Originally Posted by eddyak View Post
    Breasts aren't made of concrete. They do change shape- gravity, orientation, momentum.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeopardBear View Post
    I am thy lord thy canon pairing. Thou shalt not have any other pairings before me.
    Quote Originally Posted by oblueknighto View Post
    Horrible people don't like bacon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyte View Post
    Holy shit man you're magical.
    Words don't have genders you illiterate fucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paitouch View Post
    I am 100% uncultured swine.
    We now live in a world where a Final Fantasy VII remake will exist before the Tsukihime remake.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gwonbush View Post
    I thought IF's one advantage was when they appear the fight scenes are very cool.
    There are stories with far cooler fight scenes.

And don't get me started on the garbage of the Rin & Saber vs Shirou fight.

I just turbo's Postnuptial Disagreements. Zalgo Jenkins, that was good. +1.

-Ruyard Kipling, "If"

-)|(-

Hmmm I guess it wasn't that good in hindsight. Also +1 Postnuptial Disagreements.

+1 to Study in Velvet. Also +1 to Vestigial Mercies, which is missing from the list and I'll write a summary of as soon as I'm not busy doing other stuff.