Page 117 of 302 FirstFirst ... 1767107112115116117118119122127167217 ... LastLast
Results 2,321 to 2,340 of 6035

Thread: Recommended Type-Moon Fanfics Discussion II: Electric Boogaloo

Blog Entries
    We could just talk about good fics instead of whatever it is that lantz wrote.
    Ragnarok, come day of wrath
    That fallen souls might bear our plea.
    To hasten the Divine's return.
    O piteous Wanderer.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloble View Post
    It's not about lantz, it's about the principle of the matter. If we have 'acceptable bashing targets', then that's only going to lead to more horrible threads like the one dedicated to people whining about Gabriel Blessing. Go ahead, tear lantz's fics apart. I don't give a damn. But bashing? Nah, not a chance in hell.
    Eh, people are too sensitive about this sort of thing.

Someone calls you a dick online? Laugh about it because that person is probably half a continent away. Feel like you're being cyber bullied? Shut down the computer and go outside.

It's especially silly on BL because it's all so silly and toothless. BL posters are undisciplined and weird and juvenile more often than not, but that's the charm. We're all raving lunatics having a good time.

Has anyone here ever really felt threatened or deeply offended by this place? It's people measuring mythological dicks by the numbers of sea food analogies you can cram into a sex scene.

Blog Entries
    So your saying that because everyone acts like they do then it's ok?

I don't think that's a very good style to follow if you ask me.

Blog Entries
    CV threatened and offended me, personally.

Blog Entries
    Cyberbullying

snrk

Citizen of the World TheInfamousMan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ZidanReign View Post
    TIM.

Don't.

Seriously, speak to lantz yourself and you'll get a headache. Don't coddle him if he's a repeat offender dear lord

I ain't bashing him, but its really not worth it or the effort
    I'm not coddling him. I don't know or care for him. I'm just making it a point that bashing isn't cool.

If he's a repeat offender, okay fine.

I'm just speaking about bashing authors in general.
    Current Works:

Just an Unorthodox Thief (Fate/Zero-Lupin III Crossover) [Updated 7/26/2017] TV Tropes Page

Non-Nasuverse Fics:

A Different Kind of Truth (Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Steel Ball Run/Persona 4 Crossover) [Updated 3/26/2017] TV Tropes Page

Blog Entries
    +1 rep

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousMan View Post
    I'm not coddling him. I don't know or care for him. I'm just making it a point that bashing isn't cool.

If he's a repeat offender, okay fine.

I'm just speaking about bashing authors in general.
    This guy. He speaks the truth.

Blog Entries
    See they know what I'm talking about.

Blog Entries
    Imperial's review: good
    Attacking lantz just because it's lantz: bad

Saying that the internet is not super-serious: true
    Saying that nothing on the internet can be taken seriously: false

Having no capitalisation in the title is often a sign of laziness and lack of respect: true
    Having no capitalisation in the title may be a stylistic choice: true
    (I trust lantz to be making that stylistic choice, based on prior experience: totally false)
    Beast's Lair: Useful Notes
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

Democracy on Beast's Lair

Gläubig müssen die nicht sein, daran glauben müssen sie I3uster's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Imperial I think your review is longer than the entire fic.
    [04:55] Lianru: i3uster is actuallly quite cute

JP Friend Code
    073,368,820/Kyte
    US Friend Code
    ded
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Katie View Post
    of swords and sorcery (final edition) by lantzblades

This is a tale of Satoshi, a certain man who happens to be the son of Shirou and Saber and has a very obvious harem surrounding him. Satoshi himself is an interesting main character; narcissism and being absurdly lax? Revolutionary in terms of fanfic. There are some problems, such as the way too fast paced introduction of characters we know and love, and I am fairly certain the Fifth Magic is not exactly time travel. Nevertheless you can forgive the story for its flaws.

Also, Mordred is an Amuro/Char shipper.
    I'm not adding this one so you guys stop talking about it.
    Last edited by Kyte; September 16th, 2013 at 03:29 PM.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Thank you biased Kyte.

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    i see you guys beat me to this topic
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

Totally not a Saber clone Knick's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Kyte so ya know the The Goddess of Hope link is broken.

Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    Are you swearing by the root or are you just happy to see me?

Citizen of the World TheInfamousMan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ZidanReign View Post
    +1 rep
    Good to know.

I would also like to add my +1 to What if (Almost) Everyone Was Shirou's Servant and Tainted Ideals.
    Current Works:

Just an Unorthodox Thief (Fate/Zero-Lupin III Crossover) [Updated 7/26/2017] TV Tropes Page

Non-Nasuverse Fics:

A Different Kind of Truth (Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Steel Ball Run/Persona 4 Crossover) [Updated 3/26/2017] TV Tropes Page

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Ah. Forgot that one. +1 to "What if (Almost) Everyone Was Shirou's Servant"
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    there aren't enough gun emojis in the thousandfold trichiliocosm for this shit

Linger: Complete. August, 1995. I met him. A branch off Part 3. Mikiya keeps his promise to meet Azaka, and meets again with that mysterious girl he once found in the rain.
    Shinkai: Set in the Edo period. DHO-centric. As mysterious figures gather in the city, a young woman unearths the dark secrets of the Asakami family.
    The Dollkeeper: A Fate side-story. The memoirs of the last tuner of the Einzberns. A record of the end of a family.
    Overcount 2030: Extra x Notes. A girl with no memories is found by a nameless soldier, and wakes up to a world of war.

Don't @ me if your fanfic doesn't even have Shirou/Illya shipping k thnx ItsaRandomUsername's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    +1 to Toy Soldiers, for pretty much every reason everyone before has stated. It was good and reccable back in the old thread, and it's still just as good and reccable now.
    McJon01: We all know that the real reason Archer would lose to Rider is because the events of his own Holy Grail War left him with a particular weakness toward "older sister" types.
    My Fanfics. Read 'em. Or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    Imperial's review: good
    Attacking lantz just because it's lantz: bad

Saying that the internet is not super-serious: true
    Saying that nothing on the internet can be taken seriously: false

Having no capitalisation in the title is often a sign of laziness and lack of respect: true
    Having no capitalisation in the title may be a stylistic choice: true
    (I trust lantz to be making that stylistic choice, based on prior experience: totally false)
    +1

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsaRandomUsername View Post
    It was good and reccable back in the old thread
    This made me go back to the old thread.

That was a hellhole.

Kyte, I know you got some thanks for setting this up the first time around, but consider them doubled and tripled.

Anyway, I tracked down my posts. Only one of significance that I'd like to port over to here with a little extra commentary.
    (For posterity, the post in its original form was here).

Remember gets +/- 0. In general terms, the writing is competent and it's certainly readable, but there are a number of marked underlying flaws which make it unreccable:

Archer's characterisation really feels like it could be more ... serious? Or less flippant? He teases Rin, and he still has a degree of his heroic ideal but he's primarily a despairing cynic, deeply focused on his own suicide. So stuff like his approach to Kotomine feels off. From the writing, I got the idea more of 'vindictive' and 'trolling' than anything else. "Rejoice, Kotomine Kirei" is petty, frankly. Or his attitude in the Saber battle; he always seems in control and generally amused by Saber. Even when he's hit by Invisible Air, his thought that she's angry doesn't hint of concern. Frankly, when his plans to fight her are going so awry, he should be panicking. Not on the surface, in all likelihood, but we were pretty deep in Archer's mind for that battle. And I really didn't get that feeling.

In short, I think, he should either be much more focused on seeing if he can kill Shirō, if he decided that were possible and likely to be effective in this case, or he should be pretty apathetic to the whole thing because it doesn't get him closer to his suicide. What does messing with Kotomine get him, as regards departing Alaya's service?

Connected is the thing Elf picked up on: humour where it doesn't belong. You can and should have humour in serious works, because life is not serious 100% of the time. Jokes between the dramatic bits, amusing people, whatever. And even in the dramatic scenes if it serves good purpose: much of the Bakkhai's climax should be funny because it's a king acting like an idiot and giving in to almost every suggestion, no matter how much it degrades him. But because he was so proud before, because this is a punishment and because it means he's going to get ripped bodily apart, the surface humour acts to deepen the tragedy. Remember, however, doesn't hit that juxtaposition. Instead, you get really notes which just jar against the rest of the scene like the toy sword or comic-books sounds, and that throws me out of SoD just as it did Elf.

Going back to the Saber battle, Saber should be beating him up pretty severely. Even minus a hand, she's still much more agile than Archer and can take hits better. Compare to the first fight between them in F/SN, where Saber's just patched over a hole in her chest and has much lower stats all round. A moment's hesitation from Archer produces a near-lethal wound.

She's not even nearly as hampered in strength as you imply - she retains a B-rank strength on her F/Z character sheet, whilst it's Excalibur which has to be reduced to a single-target attack (i.e. what we see in the final scene of Fate route). The point - and this is brought up multiple times in the novel - is that her strength comes from using Prana Burst, not swinging with her arms (instead, she loses 'big' Excalibur as we've said, and fine control from having two hands). At worst, she has to increase the amount of prana she spends, which is entirely doable for her.

She has to use prana bursts to compensate for her lack of strength when she’s only using her right hand to wield her sword. In this situation, any extra spending of prana is a burden heavier than anything else.
    Originally, if she could hold the hilt of this sword with both hands – using one blow of Excalibur • the Sword of Promised Victory should completely vaporize this filthy trash.
    With the aid of prana bursts, single-handedly wielding her sword would not be too painful. But the power that could only be delivered with both hands was sealed and she can not use her ultimate attack: Excalibur • Sword of Promised Victory.
    On the even more subjective and unquantifiable side, I got a very strong feeling of 'this is not being allowed to develop organically' when I was reading it. It seemed you had ideas of how you should handle bits of plot and writing, and you were forcing the fic to accommodate them. Again, it's only a feeling on my part, but it was really niggling at me.
    Beast's Lair: Useful Notes
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

Democracy on Beast's Lair