Page 1 of 42 123611 ... LastLast

Thread: From the Azure to Zero (Fate/Zero, Blazblue Crossover)

Blog Entries

From the Azure to Zero (Fate/Zero, Blazblue Crossover) (Completed)

Inspired by the Blazblue crossover idea that was posted. I'm not sure if I really like how the first chapter turned out, but I suspect I'll get further by receiving comments than by staring at it by myself.

Edit: Now that this has become an actual multi-chapter thing, I should probably mention the followings:

- Knowledge of Blazblue isn't strictly required to follow this. At worst you'll miss a few references. Knowledge of the basics of Fate/Zero is advised though, because I'm not rewriting the entire novel and I don't write pages and pages of exposition.

- The Fate/Zero side almost completely follows canon until the events described in the first chapter of this fic. The changes are fairly minor and involve the backstory of some historical events that don't really matter for the fic; see Timeline for specifics.

- The Blazblue side follows canon until the end of Continuum Shift. I have taken some ideas from Chrono Phantasma spoilers that I've read, but the backstory of this fic won't fit with post-CS canon. This includes revelations made regarding the backstory of the Blazblue world or mechanics.

- I will also add that since most of the Blazblue side-materials haven't been translated into languages I can read, anything that doesn't come from the games might not be taken into account. (Shouldn't come up but this way it's covered.)

The two links below are not chapters, but rather a timeline and a small dictionary of Blazblue terms. The former is mostly just to flesh out when things that are mentioned offhand happened, and the latter is to help those only familiar to Type-Moon. Be aware that both of these contain spoilers up until Chapter 19: That Which Remains. As such, you might prefer to read until that point before looking at them. Additionally, both of them are located much further in the thread, so you should avoid reading the surrounding posts.

Timeline

Blazblue: Relevant Terms.

Chapter 1: Archer in Blue.

Chapter 2: Beginning of the Holy Grail War.

Chapter 3: The Shadows and the Knight.

Chapter 4: The Magus.

Chapter 5: Doubts.

Chapter 6: Lux Sanctus: Murakumo.

Chapter 7: Master and Servant.

Chapter 8: Emiya Kiritsugu.

Chapter 9: Grudge.

Chapter 10: A frontal assault.

Chapter 11: Two magi.

Chapter 12: The Prodigy.

Chapter 13: Unsurpassable Difference.

Chapter 14: Tarnished Pride.

Fading Blue.

Chapter 15: The Knight and the Priest.

Chapter 16: The meaning of "Archer".

Chapter 17: Limits of the Holy Grail.

Resting Black.

Chapter 18: Waver's path.

Chapter 19: That which remains.

Chapter 20: Berserker.

Chapter 21: Dear friend.

Chapter 22: Sword of Promised Victory.

Wandering Silver

Chapter 23: Kotomine Kirei.

Chapter 24: Antinomy.

Chapter 25: Righteousness.

Chapter 26: Determination.

Chapter 27: Dawn of the third day.

Chapter 28: Change of plans.

Chapter 29: Respective duties.

Chapter 30: Glory.

Chapter 31: Battle preparations: Kayneth El-Melloi.

Chapter 32: To the final battlefield.

Chapter 33: Four Servants.

Chapter 34: First Exchange.

Chapter 35: Heated Battle.

Chapter 36: Light and Thunder.

Chapter 37: Kusanagi.

Chapter 38: Breaking Point.

Chapter 39: The Last Two.

Chapter 40: Desperate Situation.

Chapter 41: Conclusion.

Chapter 42: Desperate Alliance.

Chapter 42 (Part 2): Humanity's wish.

Chapter 43: One Final Act.

Epilogue 1-2

Epilogue 3

From the Azure to Zero, END.

Sword of the Godslayer (Maximum Nasu Profile)

---------------------------------------------

Deep in a forest on the edge of Fuyuki City, protected by ancient bounded fields stands the castle of the Einzberns, home to their ambition that has endured for a thousand years. Though it had been constructed long ago, this was not their true home, but rather a base for their participation in the Holy Grail War. From the beginning it had never been a place where outsiders were welcomed, but the current resident was a man that had been accepted into the family.

He was a man of unremarkable appearance, with hair and eyes as black as his clothes. His appearance conveyed a sense of isolation that discouraged anyone from engaging in a conversation on a whim.
    Of course, for a man who had originally joined the Einzberns in the name of an ideal that he could not accomplish himself, that was the intention. Though he had found love in his time with the ancient family, Kiritsugu had no time to spend of social tasks when his goal was finally in sight.

Perhaps it was an exaggeration to call him a "resident", as he had only arrived a few hours ago. He had initially planned on arriving later, but he had recently acquired an object that made it advantageous for him to take the next step in Japan.

On this night, he would summon a legendary hero for the purpose of fighting in the Holy Grail War. If he could achieve victory and defeat the six other Masters, he would be granted the right to have his wish realized.

From what the old man had said, the summoning had to be done tonight; to delay any further would be to risk an inferior Servant. To begin with, he wouldn’t have minded receiving an Assassin or a Caster, as the classes that were generally undesirable were the most suited to his plans. However, to do so would be to waste the precious gifts that the Einzberns had found for him. Throwing aside such an advantage was something that Kiritsugu Emiya could never bring himself to do.

Resolutely, he extended his hand toward the summoning circle that had carefully been painted, toward the ancient, broken relic that had been deposed upon the central altar.

The unassuming piece of metal was a fragment of the legendary Kusanagi-no-Tsurugi, one of the three sacred treasures of Japan. Though it was widely believed to be held at Astuka Shrine, the Einzberns had discovered that the original had been lost long ago, and had managed to secure a piece of it through means unknown to Kiritsugu.

“I hereby swear; I will be all that is good in the eternal world."

The chant of the summoning was unnecessary, all that was truly required was a sufficient circle and the will to summon a Servant; the desire for a powerful weapon. However, the vow served as an additional bind – a Servant that was completely incompatible with the vow could not be summoned from it.

That was why Kiritsugu turned his goal into words and made his vow. He could not use a Servant that would reject his ideals fully, and he could not achieve his ideals without a Servant. Better to receive an inferior Servant than one so rotten that they would reject the world’s salvation.

"I will be the disposer of evil in the eternal world.”

His sight darkened, and pain beyond measure began to fill his body as the magic crest carved upon his back began to reinforce the summoning. Losing all sense of self, nothing remained but a body of flesh that maintained itself on its feet.

When he became himself again, he could do nothing but keep his eyes closed as a blue light filled the chamber, its origin was the summoning circle itself as it accomplished the miracle he had sought after.
    The sound of a flutter of cloth confirmed his success and for the first time that night he allowed himself to feel some satisfaction.

“I ask of you; are you my master?”

The sound of her voice was the first sign that something had gone wrong, and Kiritsugu was finally allowed to open his eyes to see the hero that had answered his summons.
    The small frame of a young girl with blond hair, most of her body was hidden by a blue coat with green lines at the border that was complimented by a beret…judging by the shape of her legs, she lacked the musculature to be a Saber or a Lancer and Kiritsugu could not imagine such a colorful assassin. Had he summoned a Caster in the end?

His thoughts took but an instant. It changed little that he had failed in summoning Yamato Takeru; this was his Servant. He would claim the Holy Grail with it. An unknown Servant merely meant that he would have to correct his strategy.

“Yes. I am Emiya Kiritsugu.”

Saying so, he lifted his hand to reveal the seals that adorned it.

“I see.” The girl politely inclined her head at his words, smiling. “Nice to meet you. I am Servant Archer, my name is Noel Vermillion.”

Noel Vermillion…
    An unknown, strange name. Certainly not Japanese. But then, neither was the girl standing before him. How odd. If the relic had failed – most likely due to being a forgery - then he should have received a Servant that matched his personality. Somehow he doubted that was the case here. Still, there was a more pressing issue.
    Calmly, he extended his left hand toward her.

“Servant Archer, Noel Vermillion. From this point forward I shall be the pillar that maintains your existence, until the time that this war is ended by my wish granted by the Holy Grail.”

Hesitantly, she extended her arm, grasping his hand in a grip that would be surprising had she been a normal girl.

“I promise…” Her words were slow and careful, most likely coming up with the words as she went. “I will be Emiya Kiritsugu’s sword until I am the last Servant and my wish is granted by the Holy Grail.”

He nodded formally before releasing her hand and letting her take a step back. It appeared his Servant lacked confidence, at least in formal occasions. But he had neither the desire nor the time to forge any bond more personal than that of associate; the final Servants could be summoned at any time and it was vital that he determined the full scope of his resources before the war began in earnest.

He turned slightly to present his side to her, clearing the way to the door. “Come with me, I will need to know your full capabilities. The information provided by the Grail is not sufficient.”

Her shoulders lowered slightly and her smile faltered. It appeared that she would have preferred for them to take the time to get to know each others.
    He pitied her if that was the case. He had no time for small talk and he would not allow himself to become familiar with someone who would fade away in a few nights’ time.

To her credit, her voice did not shake when she replied.

“Yes, Master.”

“All the equipment has arrived.”

Those were the words that greeted Kiritsugu as he entered room 73. His accomplice in this war, Hisau Maya, wasted even less time on social matters than he did.
    No longer the young girl that he had taught years ago, she had grown into a handsome, fair-skinned woman whose air of cold professionalism cut short any attempt at charming her.

With a nod of acknowledgement, he approached the weapons that had been laid out for him, the modern tools that a proper Magus would have rejected, which were the keys to his victory.

“There has been no movement, then?”

The news was not surprising in itself. The summoning of the seventh and final Servant had only occurred yesterday, it was likely that the participating Magi were still assessing the competition.

“None.” Maya waited a short moment before continuing. “I have confirmed that Tohsaka Tokiomi is still at his mansion. El-Melloi appears to have made an hotel his workshop for the duration of the War, but the familiars were unable to approach it. The Mato master seems to have hidden himself away.”

There a new pause, this one betraying slight hesitation. “I’ve been unable to locate Kotomine Kirei for the past forty-eight hours.”

Kiritsugu paused from his inspection. For him, that was the worst scenario. Of all the Masters that had been confirmed thus far Kotomine Kirei, a former Executor of the Church who now acted as a Master in the Holy Grail War, was the only one whose motives he could not comprehend. For the man that was known as a “Magus Killer”, the worst opponent was definitely that man who could not be classified as a Magus.

In addition, it seemed that the proper Magi that were participating had opted against an early attempt at removing their opposition. This made his favored strategy of bypassing the Servants to strike at the humans hiding behind them more difficult than it could be.

“Archer.”

“Yes?”

A faint blue light washed over the room as his Servant returned to a physical form. For the past few days, Archer had been following him as a spirit as he scouted the city once more.
    Of course, he had already memorized the layout years ago, but it appeared that populated areas changed far too quickly in the modern area for his previous endeavors to have been reliable.

“The first exchanges of the War will take place tonight. Since our opponents have declined to take the first move, it’ll fall to you to put on a show and drag them from their hiding places.”

“Alright.” There was an eagerness behind her words that contrasted the hesitation that was present whenever he asked her questions. If nothing else, it appeared that his Servant had been used to following orders in her life. “I’ll be going then.”

“Aw, so cute. Don’t worry…”

Slowly attempting to approach a kitten that she had found in the streets, Archer said those words in a high-pitched, childish voice.
    It was quite fortunate that her Master wasn’t present. Otherwise, his opinion of his Servant, who had interrupted her task of scouting after only a few hours play with the first animal she had seen, would have diminished severely.

“Come here…”

“Archer.”

Just as she had almost reached her target, an emotionless voice spoke out in her ear.

“Aaah!” Blue eyes widened in surprise and precariously balanced as she had been, her sudden jump almost caused her to crash. Falling on one knee to steady herself, she frightened the little kitten which ran off as fast as it could.

“Oh no, it got away.” The sadness in her voice truly did not belong after such a carefree display.

It was only five seconds later that she realized what had interrupted her.

“Ah! Y-yes, Master Emiya?”

Of course, Kiritsugu was not close to her. Before the night had even began, they had split up to cover more ground. The means of communication that they were using now was one of a set of radios that he had had Maya obtain beforehand.

In truth, Kiritsugu would have preferred to keep his Servant under constant surveillance. However, because Noel Vermillion had been summoned under the class of “Archer”, that tactic had been discarded. That was because of the ability of "Independent Action" that she possessed, which allowed her to act without requiring the support of her Master.

Paired with a Servant who could survive for days after his death even without having previously arranged a pact with another Master, Kiritsugu had opted for a different tactic. By traveling away from Archer, he limited the chance of being recognized as a Master by a Servant such as Assassin and by communicating with Archer with a radio, he limited her ability to travel in spirit form and made it easier to check on her condition. The fact that they could cover more ground in this manner was simply an additional bonus.

Archer had simply rejoiced at the additional freedom this granted her and given this decision no second thoughts. It could be said that having summoned a Servant who had never entertained the thought of betrayal made Emiya Kiritsugu’s careful plans needlessly complicated.

“It appears that the first engagement of the war has already begun. Someone has established a barrier near the factories. Make sure to remain far enough to prevent those who are fighting from detecting you.”

“Understood.”

Unfortunately, it seemed that there was no more time to have fun. Returning the radio to a pocket inside her coat, Archer began to run toward the direction indicated by her link with her Master.
    Not far away, the first battle of the Holy Grail War had just begun.

Servant: Archer
    True Name: Noel Vermillion

Strength: C
    Endurance: D
    Agility: B
    Mana: A
    Luck: D
    Noble Phantasm: ?

Class Abilities
    Independent Action: A
    It is possible to take action without a Master. However, to use Noble Phantasms of great mana consumption, support from a Master is required.
    Magic Resistance: C
    Cancel spells with a chant below two verses. Cannot defend against Magecraft on the level of High-Thaumaturgy and Greater Rituals.

Skills
    Eye of the Azure: EX
    Grants the user the ability to witness the past of those observed if a strong emotion triggers recollection. At this level, it also allows the user to see normally invisible beings such as spirits.
    High-Speed Calculations: C
    Represents the Servant's ability to quickly calculate the best way to launch attacks from multiple angles.
    Ars Magus: C
    Represents the Servant's natural compatibility and knowledge of the combination of Seithr-based magic and technology. Noel originally possessed the highest rank, but the container's incompatibility with Seithr limits her capacities.

Disclaimer: I own neither Blazblue nor Fate/Stay Night, Fate/Zero, or any other works of fictions referenced in this story. They belong those who do own them. This applies to all chapters of this story, be they posted now or later.
    Last edited by Siriel; May 27th, 2015 at 12:29 AM.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors lethum's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I enjoyed reading this. But I hope you justify well what you've brought upon the table here.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lethum View Post
    I enjoyed reading this. But I hope you justify well what you've brought upon the table here.
    Depending on what you're referring to in particular, I probably have an explanation beyond "It happened.". It might not be brought up in the story proper though. (Since Kiritsugu doesn't care about his Servant's past unless it's directly relevant.)
    Last edited by Siriel; April 29th, 2013 at 10:23 PM.

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    I like it. I'm looking forward to see how Noel and the changes here ripple through the rest of the War.

Although I was definitely expecting another character as a Servant.
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mAc Chaos View Post
    I like it. I'm looking forward to see how Noel and the changes here ripple through the rest of the War.
    You shouldn't be disappointed, then.

Incidentally, just from this chapter you should already be able to notice a change in another team's actions compared to canon.

Although I was definitely expecting another character as a Servant.
    Care to say who?

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Pretty much anyone but Noel. :P Probably Hakumen.

Although she is ripe for suffering.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

Blog Entries
    Pretty much anyone but Noel. :P Probably Hakumen.
    I thought about it.

But writing a story about Saber!Hakumen would be like writing a story about Berserker Heracles or Archer Gilgamesh. He'd just walk up to people, counter everything they do and stab them in the face.

Makes for a good final boss, not so much for a good story. Beside, there's only so often you can write "I am the White Void..." before the words lose all meaning.

Although she is ripe for suffering.
    Short of falling into Angra Mainyu, there's not much that would affect her worse than what Terumi did in Continuum Shift.

Well, nothing that happens directly to her, at least...

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    She's still pretty expressive though. I'd expect her to have a strong reaction if she found Caster's lair for instance.

Well for Hakumen I'd want to see how he would interact with Kiritsugu, if he would be hard to control or totally back him up, etc. But yeah. Also wondered if it would be Jin.

Blog Entries
    She's still pretty expressive though. I'd expect her to have a strong reaction if she found Caster's lair for instance.
    This is definitely not going to be a happy fun ride for her, I can guarantee that.

Well for Hakumen I'd want to see how he would interact with Kiritsugu, if he would be hard to control or totally back him up, etc. But yeah. Also wondered if it would be Jin.
    There are a lot of characters that would be interesting as contrasts to Kiritsugu.

Sadly, I can only write about one.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Honestly, I thought it would be Ragna as Berserker.

To see that it's Noel...Noel is fine too
    Spoiler:

So is this ONLY Noel or are other BB characters coming in?

I can't help but say that there IS a chance you can fit other Blazblue characters, considering Noel's habit of drawing un-wanted attention....I can't help but see Ragna, or possibly even his alternate time line self Bloodedge as a Saber or Berserker (possibly a Black Beast version?) and even Hakumen could appear as a Saber or Berserker (sorry for bringing these two up so much, but they are both legendary and would fit nicely). But I am curious to see how you go about having Noel as the servant!

"Believe in your heart, reaching to the shining sun, now for the sake of grasping victory!"
    Necowain the II
    Quote Originally Posted by Enhance View Post

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by harouki View Post
    Honestly, I thought it would be Ragna as Berserker.
    That would be pretty scary. But if I were to pick a Berserker, I'd probably make it Jin, considering that he has an history of going into murderous rage whenever someone is Ragna/hurts Ragna/triggers Yukianesa/triggers the Power of Order/steals the TV remote.

Quote Originally Posted by harouki View Post
    To see that it's Noel...Noel is fine too

So is this ONLY Noel or are other BB characters coming in?
    As for now, I'm only planning to have Noel. Having several Blazblue characters show up as Servants would cheapen things since they would recognize each others instantly.

However, I can tell you that three Blazblue characters ended up on Type-Moon Earth as part of the backstory.

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Jin seems more Saber-like since he's very cold most of the time.

Blog Entries
    That was good. Curiously, Noel doesn't strike me as a character that would stand out in the Nasuverse, she would fit in nicely. Can't help but feel pity for her when she will discover how her Master fights.

Will follow.

Dapper Deathwing YeOfLittleFaith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    This looks like it could be interesting. Following.

Quote Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
    Not my fault Shirou is an awesome bro to lesbians.

Blog Entries
    I wasn't expecting to update so soon. Normally I'd write this in a week or so.
    But I was unusually motivated and I wanted to get the "five Servants gathered together" mess over with, so here we go.

The view that unfolded below Kiritsugu was a scene of carnage.

Compared to the battlefields that he had fought on in his time, it was clean and lacking in corpses, but he could all too easily imagine the devastation that would have occurred if any bystanders had been present. The ravaged ground and burning air certainly gave sufficient information.

The fact that the causes of the devastation were only two warriors confirmed his beliefs that Heroic Spirits were not entities that belonged in the world. He would put an end to this war as soon as possible.
    Others might consider the talent that had been honed by those heroes to be a glorious proof of humanity’s possibilities, but for Emiya Kiritsugu it was nothing more than another symptom of the horrors of war, the very thing he fought to stop.

He could not compare the skills of Servants with anything he had crossed in his travels, but simply from the gap in their capabilities, he judged it unlikely that Lancer would emerge victorious. Saber, the Heroic Spirit of the Sword, was a monster.
    The young girl with blond hair was on the offensive, barely held at bay by the twin spears of her opponent.

But assessing the outcome of the fight was not his task. After observing them long enough to witness their parameters, he raised the sniper rifle that he had prepared for such occasions. He doubted he would be so lucky as to find both Masters, but in this situation, he would take what he could.

Through the sight of his rifle’s thermographic scope, the first thing that came to his attention was the furnace of the two battling Servant. This battle being outside of his ability to affect, he turned his attention to the nearby roofs.

There. Standing arrogantly near the center of a remote warehouse, the figure overseeing the battle could only be the enemy master. Dependant on the concealing properties of magecraft, Kiritsugu doubted he had even considered that he could still be found mechanically.
    That was the failure of the existence known as a Magus and the reason why Kiritsugu had put an end to all conflicts he had entered.

Methodically, he fell back into old patterns and began to prepare the bipod. Once his preparations were ready, he would simply wait until the battle below ended – if this was Saber’s master, then he could eliminate two-

“On the crane.”

Maya’s voice broke his line of thought, and he instinctively swung around to the designated spot.
    The figure standing there under the sky shatters his plans of defeating a third of the opposition in one night.
    Blacker than the sky stood the Servant Assassin, unnoticed by the other warriors thanks to his ability of Presence Concealment.

Kiritsugu, whose knowledge of magecraft is limited to what could help him on the battlefield, does not know that Assassin’s Master is observing the battle through his eyes and so he cannot understand why Assassin is allowing himself to be seen by taking corporeal form.

All that Kiritsugu knows is that simply by his presence, Assassin has effectively paralyzed both himself and Maya, as they cannot act without revealing their position and suffering a swift death.

This power that surpassed logic could be said to be the true difference between a Heroic Spirit and a “powerful warrior”. No matter how strong a human is, they can still be dealt with or evaded through mundane means. But a Servant, and more so Assassin who specializes in slaying Masters, cannot be challenged with only human means.

Before Kiritsugu could contemplate his misfortune any further, lightning struck the battlefield below his position.

Only paying minimal attention to the chaos below, he took a few moments to formulate a new course of action. Until the newcomer’s voice bellowed out, challenging the other Servants to show themselves.

“Ridiculous. Does he expect to be obeyed?”

Well, he supposed it was possible that some particularly foolish heroes could fall for such a taunt. He would at least trust his own Servant to not be swayed by such a blatant appeal to pride.

From a certain point of view, the situation was simple. With Assassin present, neither he nor Maya could act. The only resource at his disposal that could remove Assassin was Archer.

But if he summoned Archer, Assassin would react accordingly and escape. This might allow him to remove the enemy Master from the equation, but it wasn’t an optimal outcome; Assassin had revealed himself early and if he escaped Kiritsugu might never have a similar opportunity to take care of the Servant that posed the highest threat to him.

The answer to his dilemma came in the form of a second command from below. With a cynical smile, Kiritsugu reminded himself that idiots were often the best at creating opportunities.

“Archer, Assassin is standing on the crane. Use Rider’s demands to justify your approach and remove him.”

Even from the distance that she had chosen as her position, Archer could feel the battle occuring nearby.
    Well, that was less a sign of her talent and more a tribute to the power that Lancer and Saber were unleashing.
    The Bounded Field that surrounded the battle was efficient at keeping ordinary citizen away, but even the lowest Magus would be able to sense the battle between two Heroic Spirits.

Kiritsugu had not called upon her. She assumed that this meant that he had not located a Master, or that he was confident that he could handle things himself. A good sign, by all account.

Now, if only she had something to do.

When the lightning struck and what appeared to be a chariot drawn by bulls descended from the sky, she doubted her eyes.
    But…this was the Holy Grail War. Surely, such a thing was not outside of the possibilities? She had seen some odd things in the past, even if they tended to take less antiquated forms.

Well, she supposed that she was being a bit of a hypocrite.

A bellow from the battlefield broke through her thoughts.

“And the rest of you! I know you are hiding in the darkness, spying on us!”

“N-no way.”

Surely, she couldn’t have been detected from this distance while keeping her prana expendure to a minimum? If someone could detect her from there…

No, it wasn’t impossible. If the one who had shouted had been the one aboard the flying chariot, he might have seen her. She had made no efforts to conceal herself from above.

“D-did I screw up?”

Kiritsugu would not be happy. Definitely not. His very first order and she’d managed to fail!

“This isn’t good…”

“Heroes summoned by the Grail! Let us gather! And to those too paralyzed by fear to show your faces,
    know that Iskandar, King of Conquerors, holds you in utter contempt!”

The second shout replaced her panic with indecision, worry overcoming even the fact that the man had just shouted what was probably his true name to the winds.

To answer, or not to answer? If she went, she risked being attacked. And Kiritsugu had told her to stay hidden.

On the other hand, if she stayed away, it didn’t sound like she would be forgiven.

“Ah…which one’s the right decision?”

In a quiet voice, Servant Archer lamented the unfairness of it all. Or at least, she did for the five seconds that preceded Kiritsugu’s order.

“Understood!”

This was much better. If she simply obeyed her orders, there was no risk of her making a mistake and she wouldn’t be blamed.

But was that really alright? That thinking was what had allowed that man to…

No. This was different.

She was Emiya Kiritsugu’s sword. Her opponents were six Heroic Spirits that had been summoned by the Holy Grail and their Masters. And maybe allies of their Masters at the worst.

There was no reason to hesitate. Her Master had a wish worth fighting for, as did she.

So she would fight.

“Sword.”

As a metallic sphere materialized and took flight, Servant Archer approached the battlefield.

On the list of Waver’s bad days, today had managed to climb to the number two spot. He hadn’t thought that his Servant could do anything worse than not listening to him and stealing books from the local library.
    Considering that Rider had managed to proclaim his true identity to anyone who happened to be listening and had placed the two of them mere feet away from both Saber and Lancer, the deadliest classes in close quarters, it was clear that he had vastly underestimated Iskandar’s ability to place him in danger.

Still, around the third time his Servant had silenced him with a flick, he had decided that he would simply stay quiet in his corner until everything made sense again. At least he could find solace in the fact that Saber and Lancer were just as perturbed as he was.
    And now the idiot was standing there with his arms crossed, as if anyone would be stupid enough to-

“Hum…is it really alright to shout out like that? This is a secret, isn’t it?”

No. Way. He refused to believe that this could possibly have worked.But once more, reality seemed set against him.

The girl who slowly approached managed to stand out compared to the others Servants. It wasn’t due to an overwhelmingly presence, but rather due to the lack of pressure.
    Somehow, she seemed too…feminine and fragile. Despite the fact that her blue cloak and beret obscured her figure even more than Saber’s armor, Waver could not shake the thought that this girl did not fit the image of a warrior.
    Compared to Saber, who exuded the presence of a knight befitting a Heroic Spirit, the newcomer was just a girl.

Or would be, if his Master’s Sight didn’t betray the fact that she was a Servant. Was she a Caster, then?
    He couldn’t see any sign of armament. But then, those clothes of hers were far too modern; it was probably a disguise provided by her Master.

With a satisfied grin, his Servant turned to observe the newcomer, disdaining his previous engagement with Saber and Lancer.

“Ah! Another hero joins the fray! Welcome! And fear not. As a King, I have no need to maintain others’ secrets!”

As if a grave offense had been dealt, Saber’s answer was swift and demanded immediate surrender.

“Nonsense! Being a King does not mean that you can do whatever you want, King of Conquerors!”

As though realizing that he had accidentally stepped into dangerous territory, Iskandar raised his hands in a placatory gesture.

“We may discuss the rights of a king later, if you wish. But for now, I must repeat my offer to-”

Faster than Waver could react, Iskandar jumped back upon the Chariot as Saber and Lancer readied their weapons.

A high amount of Prana emanated from the girl. Ridiculous! Did she intend to fight three Servants at once?!

Before he could voice his disbelief, the gathered prana was transmitted to a point above the gathered Servants.

And none were more surprised than Assassin when the crane from which he was observing the process was struck by a blinding ray of light coming from above, reducing it to melted pieces of steel.

As Saber prepared to charge at the perceived aggression, the girl took a fearful step back.

“Ah! Please wait! Assassin was there!”

The other three Servants paused.

“Assassin, you say? What a convenient excuse.”

Though they were accusatory, Lancer’s words held no real venom. That was probably because he had realized the same thing as Saber and Rider; the fact that no Servant would manage to so completely miss their target as to not even strike the person standing next to them.

Certainly, that would be quite a feat even for a normal human who had never held a weapon before.

However, a that time, it was Lancer who acted in a way the others could not understand. His eyes suddenly widened before he vanished, dematerializing without leaving a single word behind.

“Oh? That was quite a rude departure. Perhaps something happened to his Master?”

Carelessly, Rider offered his conclusion. It seemed to make no difference for him if Lancer retreated or not.

With the situation having become so nonsensical, Saber lowered her blade with a sight.

“Humph. Fighting any more tonight would dishonor my battle against Lancer.” Saying so, she raised her green eyes toward Rider, still burning with outrage. “Do not think that I will forget this offense, King of Conquerors.”

Rather than vanishing as Lancer had, the Spirit of the Sword gracefully walked away.

“Hrm. It seems that my fellow king is easily offended.” Distractedly, Iskandar scratched his beard. “I can’t help but feel that I’m forgetting something.”

“The girl, you idiot!”

With an exasperated cry, Waver returned Rider’s attention to the fourth Servant that had answered his call.
    Far from taking advantage of the situation, it appeared that the girl was simply struggling to take in the swift succession of events. Certainly, for someone who had just arrived, Saber’s reaction was rather odd.

“Of course.” With a nod, Rider continued as if he had never been interrupted. “As you can tell, I am Iskandar, King of Conquerors, summoned as Rider by the Grail. Who are you, girl?”

The fourth Servant jumped to attention, jolted out of her thoughts by Rider’s forceful voice.

“Oh! I-I’m N-Servant Archer! Pleased to meet you!”

…Had she almost revealed her name? Perhaps Waver was being too harsh. Rider’s tactics appeared to almost work sometimes.
    Now, if only he could get him to actually focus on winning the Holy Grail War…

“Archer, then? I assumed you were Caster from that show earlier….” With a majestic wave, he dismissed his assumption. “No matter. As I asked Saber and Lancer, I now ask you: Knowing that I am the King of Conquerors, will you become my ally and allow me to seize the Holy Grail?”

In stark contrast to the indignation with which Saber and Lancer had responded, Archer’s surprise turned to a small smile.

“Oh, I’m sorry.” Bowing her head, she managed to seem genuinely regretful at being unable to grant such a ridiculous request. “Unfortunately, I have a wish that I need the Holy Grail the grant, and I’ve promised victory to my Master.”

With a deep sigh, Rider accepted his defeat.

“I see. It seems that my hope for a company of Heroic Spirits will not come to pass.” A smile returned on Rider’s harsh features. “Then, Archer, the next time we meet, we shall be rivals for the Holy Grail!”

With those words, the man that wished to conquer the entire world seized the reigns of his chariot and flew away.

“…What…just happened?”

At a loss after being confronted with such a direct personality, Archer remained standing in the middle of the former battlefield for a considerable amount of time.

“Oh! Master Emiya! I hope everything went well.”

Saber
    True Name: ?
    Master: ?
    Alignment: Lawful Good
    Strength: A
    Endurance: A
    Agility: B
    Mana: A
    Luck: B
    Noble Phantasm: ?

Class Abilities
    :

Magic Resistance: A
    Cancel all Magecraft below A-Rank. In practice, no modern Magus can harm Saber.
    Riding: B
    Able to freely manipulate all vehicles and mounts, with the exception of mythical and divine beasts

Skills
    :
    Charisma: B
    A rare talent representing the natural ability to lead an army. This level is sufficient to lead a country.
    Instinct: A
    The ability to innately feel the right course to take during combat. At this level, it is close to precognition and additionally reduces by half the penalties caused by obstructed vision and hearing.
    Prana Burst: A
    Reflects the ability to increases one’s ability by releasing large amount of prana.

It should be easy enough to guess, but the next chapter will show what happened from Kiritsugu's POV. And things will continue to move further away from canonical events...
    Last edited by Siriel; December 22nd, 2013 at 04:50 PM.

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    AW YISS

I wonder which Lancer that was. I assume it was Diarmuid. And that Master that was hiding behing Kayneth. Maybe Assassin attacked him.

So far you are writing Noel really well. I can practically hear her voice when I read her lines. Same with Rider. Kiritsugu feels a little... too surprised. Like normally he just takes everything with a stoic calm either because he doesn't care or because he has already planned and researched out every possible scenario.

That leaves Caster and Berserker... I guess Tokiomi is Saber's Master.

Blog Entries
    So far you are writing Noel really well. I can practically hear her voice when I read her lines. Same with Rider.
    I'm glad it's working, imagining what they sound like is how I write dialogue.
    Kiritsugu feels a little... too surprised. Like normally he just takes everything with a stoic calm either because he doesn't care or because he has already planned and researched out every possible scenario.
    While that may be the case usually, in the visual novel he's freaking out (in his mind) when he notices Assassin because being noticed by a Servant is the only scenario that he has no way to deal with himself. If it was a Magus, he wouldn't be that worried, but he's basically as helpless as the next guy if a Servant spots him.

Also, keep in mind that his thoughts are taking place over a matter of seconds. If this were animated, all you'd get would be his eyes widening and then focusing again.

Kiritsugu's greatest strength I view as not so much being incredibly stoic as being able to roll with the punches that fate throws his way.

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, I figured that was the case so it's still good.

The one thing I'd change is that you didn't really specify who the Saber and Lancer were, so it could have been anyone until I eventually realized it was Saber because of the green eyes and gender. Unless that's what you were going for.

Blog Entries
    The one thing I'd change is that you didn't really specify who the Saber and Lancer were, so it could have been anyone until I eventually realized it was Saber because of the green eyes and gender. Unless that's what you were going for.
    The scenes are from Kiritsugu's point of view (he doesn't care) and Waver's (by the time we switch to him, he's already seen them and is focusing on Iskandar and Noel), which is why I didn't put much emphasis on what they looked like.

Their appearances will be described in greater detail once someone focuses on them. That should be the next chapter for Lancer and either the end of the next chapter or the beginning of the fourth chapter for Saber.