Page 45 of 858 FirstFirst ... 35404344454647505595145545 ... LastLast

Thread: Create-A-Servant 2

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizukume View Post
    Oh, ok. If that's what you think.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    nah shrapnel just read all of fragments up till ozy's death in 40 mins
    and the first parts aren't even translated!
    Damn straight. That's how I do, You.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually what I did was read all the Misaya bits (you know, the only parts that matter) and then skipped around completely ignoring Ozy and his temple, because, you know...

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Bird of Hermes's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Obsidian View Post

True Identity: Terracotta Warrior/Army
    I always envisioned these guys as a part of a Noble Phantasm of Qin Shi Huang's.

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Servant Berserker:

True Name: King Midas

Alignment: Lawful Mad (Lawful Neutral)

Strength- D (C)
    Agility- C (B)
    Endurance- B (A)
    Mana- B
    Luck- D
    NP- B++

Appearance:

History: Berserker's true identity is Midas, king of Phrygia. A king of unsurpassed wealth with a great palace and rose garden, but he always yearned for more.

As a reward for sheltering Dionysus's centaur consort Silenus, the wine god promised to grant Midas a single wish. Anything he desired would become his.

Foolishly, the greedy king wished that anything he touched would transform into gold, believing that wealth was the greatest of treasures. Dionysus tried to warn the king of the dangers of his avaricious wish, but Midas payed him no mind. Reluctantly, the god waved his divine scepter and granted the king's wish.

After briefly rejoicing in his 'gift', Midas realized that it was in fact a curse. Food and drink to nourish him, flowers that would provide sweet fragrance, all were transformed into mere lifeless metal before his fingertips. Even his beloved daughter hardened into a golden sculpture in his arms as he tried to embrace her.

Cursing his avarice and foolhardly wish, the king wandered the lands, unable to partake in food or drink and going progressively mad. Eventually, Dionysus took pity on Midas and let him undo his curse by washing in the sacred river of Pactolus. When Midas held his hands out into the clear waters, his accursed power flowed out of him and into the river sands, which were forever after dyed a brilliant gold hue. Then, he took the river water and washed it over everything that he'd touched under the curse (including his daughter), cancelling the enchantment and returning them to their original form. Thus, Midas was free of his curse and learned a valuable lesson in the process.

...Just don't ask him about those stupid donkey's ears.

According to a certain anecdote, as a child Midas rode to the oracle of Delphi in a sacred chariot pulled by his father, Gordius. Summoned in the Rider Class, this would likely be one of his Noble Phantasms, similar to a certain King of Conquerors.

Personality: Due to the effects of Mad Enhancement on his personality, Berserker is little more then an avaricious monster with most of his human nature eroded. While he hates his curse and the gold that results from it, he also desires it more then anything else and can't help his primal urge towards it. Rather pitiful, lashing out at the world around him while everything he grasps becomes worthless metal in his hands. Behind his madness, some glimmer of Berserker's former self still remains, though he has difficulty articulating it. His wish is simply to be free of his curse once more, to be able to hold his beloved family and daughter in his arms.

Dislikes: his curse, gold
    Talent: impulsive wishes
    Natural Enemy: his own greed

Class Skills:

Mad Enhancement (C)- Normally sacrifices sanity in exchange for power. Physical parameters are given a permanent rank-up, but in this case the Servant is afflicted with a constant hunger for wealth while scornfully cursing his own fate. Essentially, Berserker is little more then an avaricious beast.

Personal Skills:

Golden Rule (EX)- Qualifies one's tendency to aquire wealth. Due to the nature of his Noble Phantasm, Berserker can generate wealth in the form of gold with scarcely any effort whatsoever. Just don't ask about its effects on inflation.

Affections Of The Gods (C-)- Affection is from the god of wine, Dionysus, who granted Berserker a wish in exchange for a favor the king dealt him. However, due to his own foolishness this wish backfired harshly against Berserker, nearly leading to his death and the loss of everything he loved. Physical parameters are given a rank-up at the start of battle, but in exchange Luck is treated as a rank-down.

Insatiable Greed (A+)- A boundless, irrational hunger for wealth. Similar in nature to Innocent Monster, it is a form of curse projected on the Servant due to the reputation they've accrued in their lifetime and thereafter. Due to Berserker's name becoming a synonym for greed, he possesses this Skill despite having overcome his faults in life.

Noble Phantasms:

Afí Mídas- Accursed Golden Touch (B++, Anti-Unit): A Noble Phantasm sublimating the famous blessing/curse in King Midas's legend. The foolish wish of a man who loved gold more then anything, and then grew to despise it more then anything.

As a Noble Phantasm, this crystallizes into Berserker's body itself. A highly potent magical effect that qualifies as both blessing and curse. Anything touching his bare skin will begin to be transmuted into pure gold. First, a thin sheet of liquid gold spreads over the target's surface. Then, when fully engulfed, the target's internal structure is rapidly converted to gold through high-grade Alchemic Thaumaturgy. As a visual effect, his hands (or whatever part of his body it's active through) will begin to glow a dazzling golden color.

This can only occur when the 'sheet' fully covers the target's entire surface, so larger objects will naturally take more time to transmute fully. While mundane, everyday trinkets will be aurified at a casual touch from Berserker, greater feats such as turning an entire building into solid gold would require him to hold his hands against the surface for a prolonged period to actualize the effect.

While this Noble Phantasm affects living creatures as well, it is somewhat less effective due to the target's own life-force and prana clashing with the magical energy comprising the blessing/curse. For normal humans in the modern era this effect is likely to be minimal but Heroic Spirits or Magi may be able to resist the transmutation for moments depending on their level of magical energy. Being as this essentially renders Berserker's entire body a lethal weapon, it makes him an extremely dangerous combatant to face despite lacking overwhelming stats. It could be said that every strike of his possesses the potential to be a lethal blow. This truly suits his Class, letting him rampage and attack without regard for tactics.

Seeing as the effect must spread to the target's whole body before transmutation can be completed, it is possible to halt it mid-way by severing the affected area altogether. Though this would surely require great fortitude of will...

By concentrating his body's aura, Berserker may also extend and focus the concept of 'touch' at a distance in order to broaden the Noble Phantasm's range. Used in this way, Berserker projects a conical aura of golden light from his hands that begins slowly transmuting everything caught within to gold. But due to the concept involved being diluted, this is far slower and less effective then direct skin contact.

Since the Mystery of the curse is shared by anything it affects, any object turned to gold also qualifies as an E-ranked lesser Noble Phantasm capable of harming Heroic Spirits. While this allows him to easily create makeshift weaponry from the surrounding environment, due to gold itself being extremely weak and brittle, the resulting arms are unlikely to be of much use in protracted combat.

As the effect is constantly active and requires no input from Berserker, it will persist even regarding parts of his body that been cut off. A single toe or finger of Berserker existing in the modern day would surely qualify as a high-ranked, invaluable Mystic Code treasured by the Mage's Association.

Due to having surpassed his curse by the end of his life, Midas would normally have far more control regarding the extent of this Noble Phantasm and even be able to switch it on and off at will. However, due to this Class embodying him at the lowest point of his legend, it is rendered a permanently active curse of greed.

Pactolus- Blessed River That Cleanses Ills (C+, Anti-Enchantment): The sacred river which washed away the curse of Midas in legend. Tied to the god Dionysus, its holy waters were said to be able to remove curses and dispel enchantments.

By invoking this Noble Phantasm, a wave of clear flowing river water appears from nowhere to wash through the surrounding area. The waters carry a potent 'anti-magical' attribute, literally 'washing away' enchantments upon contact. Any kind of magical effect from the simplest Reinforcement spell to Bounded Fields overlaying the body or a complex curse will be voided out on contact with the holy waters.

In addition, anything affected by an enchantment will have those effects reversed. Barriers erected by magic, objects that have their shape or material altered through magic, all will return to their natural states through this Noble Phantasm. It goes without saying that this acts as a kind of 'fail-safe' for Berserker's Master, insuring that they can undo any particularly rash uses of Afí Mídas.

Since it does not matter whether the effect is a blessing or curse, this Noble Phantasm can be equally used to heal Berserker's allies or strip power from his foes. However, there are limits to its power. It cannot negate the enchantments surrounding and powering Noble Phantasms, though their effects on others are fair game.

In his current Class, Berserker's current mental state is far too unstable to invoke it. The only way to use this Noble Phantasm is through expending a Command Seal to force Berserker to invoke it. As such, it can only be used three times per the number of Command Seals allocated in a Holy Grail War.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

King Midas was someone I thought of doing a sheet for since way back when I first started making them. But I could never think of a particularly unique way to do it so I just left him alone. Now I've forgotten most of the other Midas sheets I read so I don't need to worry about ripping them off as much, and I don't recall having ever seen him as a Berserker before. Though his stats are comparatively low, he'd actually be an incredibly dangerous foe with his Noble Phantasm.

I have a pretty good idea what his Master would be like as well (rather quirky...) and I might even post him up in that 'Create-A-Mage' thread if I'm feeling inspired. As always, be sure to drop by with comments and criticisms!

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One asterism42's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Rider
    Shah Jahan

Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    STR: C
    END: D
    AGI: B
    MAG: C
    LUCK: C
    NP: EX

Class Skills

Riding (A): The ability to ride mounts. Rider-class Servants will typically possess a high rank, and A-rank can allow for Phantasmal Beasts and Divine Beasts to be mounted. It is said that dragon type mounts are an exception, requiring a different ability other than Riding. All creatures but those of Phantasmal Beast and Divine Beast-rank can be used as mounts. This rank is high enough to have aptitude for the Rider Class.

Magic Resistance (D): Grants protection against magical effects. Differently from the Resistance effect that merely rejects Magical Energy, this ability cancels the spells altogether. This rank cancels Single-Action spells. Magic Resistance of the same degree of an amulet that rejects magical energy.

Personal Skills

Golden Rule (A): A skill that measures one's ability to acquire wealth. At this rank, money problems are all but unheard of, unless having too much money could be considered a problem. It is estimated that during Jahan’s reign, the Mughal Empire was the wealthiest country on Earth. He was wealthy enough that his fantastically extravagant building projects would barely cause a dent in his finances.

Charisma (B): The natural talent to command an army. Increases the ability of allies during group battles. A rare talent, and an ability inherent to Servants of the Saver class. Rider has rank suitable for that of both the leader of a nation and an individual who lead a number of military campaigns throughout his life.

Eye for Art (C+): A skill that denotes one who possesses an infatuation with works of art. There is a chance of Rider recognizing Skill, Servants or Noble Phantasms possessing artistic anecdotes simply through sight. Though not an artist in his own right, as a champion of culture who wished to turn his capital into a centre of artistry and learning, Jahan possesses this skill. As a devout Muslim, he has a higher chance of recognizing artefacts or individuals associated with the Islamic faith.

Devotion (A+): A skill representing an all-encompassing passion for a single individual at the expense of all others. Such is the strength of their love that they are blind to the charms of any other individual, as a result a Servant bearing this skill is immune to infatuation-based mental assaults, such as the Alluring Voice skill. In Jahan’s case, the individual he adores is his first wife Mumtaz Mahal, and merely being in her presence is enough to cause a rise in all his parameters. Though as ruler of a polygamous society he was obliged to take several wives, it is said that Mumtaz was the only person he truly ever loved, and the couple had, over the course of their marriage, fourteen children. When she died giving birth to their last child, legends state that the grief aged Jahan overnight, turning his hair white, and withering his frame.

Noble Phantasm

Taj Mahal
    White-Walled Palace of Purity

(Anti-Decay, EX):
    The beautiful, world-famous mausoleum that Shah Jahan constructed for his beloved wife Mumtaz after her untimely death, there are likely very few souls on the planet who does not know the appearance of the Taj Mahal, thus its appearance is enough to identify Jahan instantly. Its pure white walls embody the concept of ‘purity’, thus all signs of corruption, change and decay are erased within its walls. Inside it, time does not pass; it is neither day nor night, summer nor winter. The air is unnaturally still and though the gardens are filled with beautiful flowers, they give off no scent. Inside the tomb, the silence grows stronger and stronger until the chamber containing Mumtaz’s sarcophagus is reached. Made of crystal, marble and gold, her body lies within, preserved in pristine condition by the spells in the complex. It is here, by her side, that Jahan will spend most of his time, and even dead, her presence is enough to rouse his spirit in battle. The enchantment of purity on the palace washes away all other magical effects, and curses in particular dissolve almost instantly inside. In addition to magic; skills, abilities, and Noble Phantasms tied to the concepts of change, rot, corruption and death will be suppressed by the Taj Mahal’s aura. Bolstered by its fame despite its young age, the complex and its gardens can fly through the air. The tomb is decorated by beautiful abstract patterns inlaid by semiprecious stones; the stones are in fact filled with prana, which can serve as fuel for the palace.

Lore
    Dislikes: Ambitious women
    Talents: Architecture
    Natural Enemy: Stepmother

Shah Jahan is arguably the most famous of the rulers of the Mughal Empire. From his capital in the city of Agra, he built the empire into a wealthy and cultured powerhouse. Though he only took the throne in his middle age, he has been summoned as a young man. This is due to his love for Mumtaz, his mind subconsciously selecting the earliest bloom of their love as his apex as a Heroic Spirit. He is rather grumpy at being summoned, since dragging him from the Throne has interrupted the marital bliss of his afterlife, and as an Emperor his haughty nature makes him hard to control. Mumtaz is naturally her weakness, should her tomb be destroyed, Jahan grief will cause him to age horribly, turning from a strong young warrior into a feeble old man. He fights on horseback if the Taj isn’t present, and even without it present, he can use a (very) weak version of its stasis spell as a net/shield. A catalyst which can be used to summon him is a drinking cup he possessed when alive.
    Last edited by asterism42; September 27th, 2016 at 07:01 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandstorm77 View Post
    He's just putting the bone of his sword into other people until it explodes and lets out parts of him inside them.
    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerEmiya View Post
    Genderswaps are terrible, but I think I and other people would hate them less if Fate didn't keep ignoring actual heroines throughout history and folklore. Like, why bother turning Francis Drake into a woman when Ching Shih and Grace O'Malley exist?
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    Fate Zero is just Fate Stay Night for people who think Shirou is too girly
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    I think Alex IV can eat Goku.

Friendly neighborhood Dark Lord! Mr.Obsidian's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Not Worth anything yet
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bird of Hermes View Post
    I always envisioned these guys as a part of a Noble Phantasm of Qin Shi Huang's.
    I see what you mean, at first gave it a thought instead went for something a little more interesting IMO
    My Servant Comepndium
    Make Middle-Earth great again!

Blog Entries
    Any feedback on Midas? I'd appreciate it...

マリーの味方
    please stop asking for feedback christ

If you have to, at least wait more than 2-3 hours. Some of us have jobs where we can't just go online in the middle of a weekday.

Midas' FC is creepy as fuck, I like it. The Golden Touch NP briefly reminded me of Agent Smith making other Smiths, what with the liquid black covering and all that. Cool mental image.

Also, I like dat Taj.
    "We don't need martyrs right now. We need heroes. A hero would die for his country, but he'd much rather live for it." -Josiah Bartlet

List of Servants I've made

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Funderfullness View Post
    If you have to, at least wait more than 2-3 hours. Some of us have jobs where we can't just go online in the middle of a weekday.

Midas' FC is creepy as fuck, I like it. The Golden Touch NP briefly reminded me of Agent Smith making other Smiths, what with the liquid black covering and all that. Cool mental image.

Also, I like dat Taj.
    Sorry! Though, if you can't go online anyway then I can't see how my comment is going to bother you... (Unless you have time to browse but not log on, which is a possibility)

Glad you liked Midas, though. The FC seems to be from a God Of War spin-off, and fit perfectly to how I imagined the character.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sesto View Post
    please stop asking for feedback christ
    Also, my name's not 'christ'.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RoydGolden View Post
    Any feedback on Midas? I'd appreciate it...
    Quit.

Now, to comment... Yeah, his appearance in God of War is creepy and gets my vote. Out of curiosity, I assume you got the image from the God of War wiki? Does that mean you also copied the lore contents of Midas from there, as well? Or did you read the Metamorphoses or something? Dunno, just curious, as there's so much more you can work with if you go through primary (and really well done secondary) sources rather than, well... and you didn't provide a link to the image source so...

I'm not sure what feedback you want me to offer besides, perhaps, Golden Rule would be a negative. At the least, you could personalize it more to fit his character. Same with the others.
    Last edited by Historia; September 26th, 2016 at 11:06 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrapnel View Post
    Quit.

Now, to comment... Yeah, his appearance in God of War is creepy and gets my vote. Out of curiosity, I assume you got the image from the God of War wiki? Does that mean you also copied the lore contents of Midas from there, as well? Or did you read the Metamorphoses or something? Dunno, just curious, as there's so much more you can work with if you go through primary (and really well done secondary) sources rather than, well... and you didn't provide a link to the image source so...

I'm not sure what feedback you want me to offer besides, perhaps, Golden Rule would be a negative. At the least, you could personalize it more to fit his character. Same with the others.
    His appearance I actually didn't get from the wiki directly. I found a really small version of it looking up pictures of Midas on Google Image, found it came from GoW, looked up exactly that and got a higher resolution image. I don't think I ever checked out the wiki itself, as a matter of fact. And the lore I wrote up myself, based on some summaries of his legend I read online. I didn't copypaste it off anything, though I'm somewhat flattered it seems 'official' enough for you to think I did.

Regarding Golden Rule, I don't think you can have a minus with an EX rank so that was right out. Though, otherwise I probably would've done that...

In any case, thanks for the feedback.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    how long did it take to plan and write up midas
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle
    Blog Entries
    Midas: If Midas is getting out of hand (or if his Master is coerced into doing so), can they order Midas to stand in the Pactolus to seal Afi Midas (like how it happened in life)?

Jahan:
    I think you made a typo. Did you mean to say "magic, skills, abilities, and Noble Phantasms tied to the concepts of change, rot, corruption and death will be suppressed by the Taj Mahal’s aura."? Dunno what the "Other than" is there for. Does Jahan have any method of combat other than his own fists and the Taj Mahal's decay sealing aura? I gues he could turtle, but it would be very hard to hide...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    how long did it take to plan and write up midas
    Two days. I started last night, wrote out most of his NPs and lore, went to bed, then next morning did personality and touched up a few other things before sending it off. Why?

In any case, it's not going to get better the longer I have it sit around my notepad file. Servant profiles aren't like wine...

Blog Entries
    And the lore I wrote up myself, based on some summaries of his legend I read online. I didn't copypaste it off anything, though I'm somewhat flattered it seems 'official' enough for you to think I did.
    Writing it up yourself is good, yes. Though, I feel it best to do it by reading the Metamorphoses or another source that might be serve just as well. Summaries don't include everything, hence,

I didn't think it was official, just pointing out that perhaps, yes...

Here:

Spoiler:
    The Fable of Midas

Nor this suffic'd; the God's disgust remains,
    And he resolves to quit their hated plains;
    The vineyards of Tymole ingross his care,
    And, with a better choir, he fixes there;
    Where the smooth streams of clear Pactolus roll'd,
    Then undistinguish'd for its sands of gold.
    The satyrs with the nymphs, his usual throng,
    Come to salute their God, and jovial danc'd along.
    Silenus only miss'd; for while he reel'd,
    Feeble with age, and wine, about the field,
    The hoary drunkard had forgot his way,
    And to the Phrygian clowns became a prey;
    Who to king Midas drag the captive God,
    While on his totty pate the wreaths of ivy nod.

Midas from Orpheus had been taught his lore,
    And knew the rites of Bacchus long before.
    He, when he saw his venerable guest,
    In honour of the God ordain'd a feast.
    Ten days in course, with each continu'd night,
    Were spent in genial mirth, and brisk delight:
    Then on th' eleventh, when with brighter ray
    Phosphor had chac'd the fading stars away,
    The king thro' Lydia's fields young Bacchus sought,
    And to the God his foster-father brought.
    Pleas'd with the welcome sight, he bids him soon
    But name his wish, and swears to grant the boon.
    A glorious offer! yet but ill bestow'd
    On him whose choice so little judgment show'd.
    Give me, says he (nor thought he ask'd too much),
    That with my body whatsoe'er I touch,
    Chang'd from the nature which it held of old,
    May be converted into yellow gold.
    He had his wish; but yet the God repin'd,
    To think the fool no better wish could find.

But the brave king departed from the place,
    With smiles of gladness sparkling in his face:
    Nor could contain, but, as he took his way,
    Impatient longs to make the first essay.
    Down from a lowly branch a twig he drew,
    The twig strait glitter'd with a golden hue:
    He takes a stone, the stone was turn'd to gold;
    A clod he touches, and the crumbling mold
    Acknowledg'd soon the great transforming pow'r,
    In weight and substance like a mass of ore.
    He pluck'd the corn, and strait his grasp appears
    Fill'd with a bending tuft of golden ears.
    An apple next he takes, and seems to hold
    The bright Hesperian vegetable gold.
    His hand he careless on a pillar lays.
    With shining gold the fluted pillars blaze:
    And while he washes, as the servants pour,
    His touch converts the stream to Danae's show'r.

To see these miracles so finely wrought,
    Fires with transporting joy his giddy thought.
    The ready slaves prepare a sumptuous board,
    Spread with rich dainties for their happy lord;
    Whose pow'rful hands the bread no sooner hold,
    But its whole substance is transform'd to gold:
    Up to his mouth he lifts the sav'ry meat,
    Which turns to gold as he attempts to eat:
    His patron's noble juice of purple hue,
    Touch'd by his lips, a gilded cordial grew;
    Unfit for drink, and wondrous to behold,
    It trickles from his jaws a fluid gold.

The rich poor fool, confounded with surprize,
    Starving in all his various plenty lies:
    Sick of his wish, he now detests the pow'r,
    For which he ask'd so earnestly before;
    Amidst his gold with pinching famine curst;
    And justly tortur'd with an equal thirst.
    At last his shining arms to Heav'n he rears,
    And in distress, for refuge, flies to pray'rs.
    O father Bacchus, I have sinn'd, he cry'd,
    And foolishly thy gracious gift apply'd;
    Thy pity now, repenting, I implore;
    Oh! may I feel the golden plague no more.

The hungry wretch, his folly thus confest,
    Touch'd the kind deity's good-natur'd breast;
    The gentle God annull'd his first decree,
    And from the cruel compact set him free.
    But then, to cleanse him quite from further harm,
    And to dilute the relicks of the charm,
    He bids him seek the stream that cuts the land
    Nigh where the tow'rs of Lydian Sardis stand;
    Then trace the river to the fountain head,
    And meet it rising from its rocky bed;
    There, as the bubling tide pours forth amain,
    To plunge his body in, and wash away the stain.
    The king instructed to the fount retires,
    But with the golden charm the stream inspires:
    For while this quality the man forsakes,
    An equal pow'r the limpid water takes;
    Informs with veins of gold the neighb'ring land,
    And glides along a bed of golden sand.

Now loathing wealth, th' occasion of his woes,
    Far in the woods he sought a calm repose;
    In caves and grottos, where the nymphs resort,
    And keep with mountain Pan their sylvan court.
    Ah! had he left his stupid soul behind!
    But his condition alter'd not his mind.

For where high Tmolus rears his shady brow,
    And from his cliffs surveys the seas below,
    In his descent, by Sardis bounded here,
    By the small confines of Hypaepa there,
    Pan to the nymphs his frolick ditties play'd,
    Tuning his reeds beneath the chequer'd shade.
    The nymphs are pleas'd, the boasting sylvan plays,
    And speaks with slight of great Apollo's lays.
    Tmolus was arbiter; the boaster still
    Accepts the tryal with unequal skill.
    The venerable judge was seated high
    On his own hill, that seem'd to touch the sky.
    Above the whisp'ring trees his head he rears,
    From their encumbring boughs to free his ears;
    A wreath of oak alone his temples bound,
    The pendant acorns loosely dangled round.
    In me your judge, says he, there's no delay:
    Then bids the goatherd God begin, and play.
    Pan tun'd the pipe, and with his rural song
    Pleas'd the low taste of all the vulgar throng;
    Such songs a vulgar judgment mostly please,
    Midas was there, and Midas judg'd with these.

The mountain sire with grave deportment now
    To Phoebus turns his venerable brow:
    And, as he turns, with him the listning wood
    In the same posture of attention stood.
    The God his own Parnassian laurel crown'd,
    And in a wreath his golden tresses bound,
    Graceful his purple mantle swept the ground.
    High on the left his iv'ry lute he rais'd,
    The lute, emboss'd with glitt'ring jewels, blaz'd
    In his right hand he nicely held the quill,
    His easy posture spoke a master's skill.
    The strings he touch'd with more than human art,
    Which pleas'd the judge's ear, and sooth'd his heart;
    Who soon judiciously the palm decreed,
    And to the lute postpon'd the squeaking reed.

All, with applause, the rightful sentence heard,
    Midas alone dissatisfy'd appear'd;
    To him unjustly giv'n the judgment seems,
    For Pan's barbarick notes he most esteems.
    The lyrick God, who thought his untun'd ear
    Deserv'd but ill a human form to wear,
    Of that deprives him, and supplies the place
    With some more fit, and of an ampler space:
    Fix'd on his noddle an unseemly pair,
    Flagging, and large, and full of whitish hair;
    Without a total change from what he was,
    Still in the man preserves the simple ass.

He, to conceal the scandal of the deed,
    A purple turbant folds about his head;
    Veils the reproach from publick view, and fears
    The laughing world would spy his monstrous ears.
    One trusty barber-slave, that us'd to dress
    His master's hair, when lengthen'd to excess,
    The mighty secret knew, but knew alone,
    And, tho' impatient, durst not make it known.
    Restless, at last, a private place he found,
    Then dug a hole, and told it to the ground;
    In a low whisper he reveal'd the case,
    And cover'd in the earth, and silent left the place.

In time, of trembling reeds a plenteous crop
    From the confided furrow sprouted up;
    Which, high advancing with the ripening year,
    Made known the tiller, and his fruitless care:
    For then the rustling blades, and whisp'ring wind,
    To tell th' important secret, both combin'd.

Also something to look out for is who the translator is. Can make a big difference in interpretation.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Constructman View Post
    Midas: If Midas is getting out of hand (or if his Master is coerced into doing so), can they order Midas to stand in the Pactolus to seal Afi Midas (like how it happened in life)?
    Probably not, since I specifically noted Pactolus can't directly affect NPs. Which is kind of a diversion from his legend, but having it able to do so would make it way too powerful (just washing over a Noble Phantasm and completely sealing its magical properties) for what is meant as a more support-type NP. Though, while actually in the waters Afi Midas would be sealed for all intents and purposes since everything he turns to gold will be immediately reverted back.

- - - Updated - - -

Writing it up yourself is good, yes. Though, I feel it best to do it by reading the Metamorphoses or another source that might be serve just as well. Summaries don't include everything, hence,

I didn't think it was official, just pointing out that perhaps, yes...

Here:

Spoiler:
    The Fable of Midas

Nor this suffic'd; the God's disgust remains,
    And he resolves to quit their hated plains;
    The vineyards of Tymole ingross his care,
    And, with a better choir, he fixes there;
    Where the smooth streams of clear Pactolus roll'd,
    Then undistinguish'd for its sands of gold.
    The satyrs with the nymphs, his usual throng,
    Come to salute their God, and jovial danc'd along.
    Silenus only miss'd; for while he reel'd,
    Feeble with age, and wine, about the field,
    The hoary drunkard had forgot his way,
    And to the Phrygian clowns became a prey;
    Who to king Midas drag the captive God,
    While on his totty pate the wreaths of ivy nod.

Midas from Orpheus had been taught his lore,
    And knew the rites of Bacchus long before.
    He, when he saw his venerable guest,
    In honour of the God ordain'd a feast.
    Ten days in course, with each continu'd night,
    Were spent in genial mirth, and brisk delight:
    Then on th' eleventh, when with brighter ray
    Phosphor had chac'd the fading stars away,
    The king thro' Lydia's fields young Bacchus sought,
    And to the God his foster-father brought.
    Pleas'd with the welcome sight, he bids him soon
    But name his wish, and swears to grant the boon.
    A glorious offer! yet but ill bestow'd
    On him whose choice so little judgment show'd.
    Give me, says he (nor thought he ask'd too much),
    That with my body whatsoe'er I touch,
    Chang'd from the nature which it held of old,
    May be converted into yellow gold.
    He had his wish; but yet the God repin'd,
    To think the fool no better wish could find.

But the brave king departed from the place,
    With smiles of gladness sparkling in his face:
    Nor could contain, but, as he took his way,
    Impatient longs to make the first essay.
    Down from a lowly branch a twig he drew,
    The twig strait glitter'd with a golden hue:
    He takes a stone, the stone was turn'd to gold;
    A clod he touches, and the crumbling mold
    Acknowledg'd soon the great transforming pow'r,
    In weight and substance like a mass of ore.
    He pluck'd the corn, and strait his grasp appears
    Fill'd with a bending tuft of golden ears.
    An apple next he takes, and seems to hold
    The bright Hesperian vegetable gold.
    His hand he careless on a pillar lays.
    With shining gold the fluted pillars blaze:
    And while he washes, as the servants pour,
    His touch converts the stream to Danae's show'r.

To see these miracles so finely wrought,
    Fires with transporting joy his giddy thought.
    The ready slaves prepare a sumptuous board,
    Spread with rich dainties for their happy lord;
    Whose pow'rful hands the bread no sooner hold,
    But its whole substance is transform'd to gold:
    Up to his mouth he lifts the sav'ry meat,
    Which turns to gold as he attempts to eat:
    His patron's noble juice of purple hue,
    Touch'd by his lips, a gilded cordial grew;
    Unfit for drink, and wondrous to behold,
    It trickles from his jaws a fluid gold.

The rich poor fool, confounded with surprize,
    Starving in all his various plenty lies:
    Sick of his wish, he now detests the pow'r,
    For which he ask'd so earnestly before;
    Amidst his gold with pinching famine curst;
    And justly tortur'd with an equal thirst.
    At last his shining arms to Heav'n he rears,
    And in distress, for refuge, flies to pray'rs.
    O father Bacchus, I have sinn'd, he cry'd,
    And foolishly thy gracious gift apply'd;
    Thy pity now, repenting, I implore;
    Oh! may I feel the golden plague no more.

The hungry wretch, his folly thus confest,
    Touch'd the kind deity's good-natur'd breast;
    The gentle God annull'd his first decree,
    And from the cruel compact set him free.
    But then, to cleanse him quite from further harm,
    And to dilute the relicks of the charm,
    He bids him seek the stream that cuts the land
    Nigh where the tow'rs of Lydian Sardis stand;
    Then trace the river to the fountain head,
    And meet it rising from its rocky bed;
    There, as the bubling tide pours forth amain,
    To plunge his body in, and wash away the stain.
    The king instructed to the fount retires,
    But with the golden charm the stream inspires:
    For while this quality the man forsakes,
    An equal pow'r the limpid water takes;
    Informs with veins of gold the neighb'ring land,
    And glides along a bed of golden sand.

Now loathing wealth, th' occasion of his woes,
    Far in the woods he sought a calm repose;
    In caves and grottos, where the nymphs resort,
    And keep with mountain Pan their sylvan court.
    Ah! had he left his stupid soul behind!
    But his condition alter'd not his mind.

For where high Tmolus rears his shady brow,
    And from his cliffs surveys the seas below,
    In his descent, by Sardis bounded here,
    By the small confines of Hypaepa there,
    Pan to the nymphs his frolick ditties play'd,
    Tuning his reeds beneath the chequer'd shade.
    The nymphs are pleas'd, the boasting sylvan plays,
    And speaks with slight of great Apollo's lays.
    Tmolus was arbiter; the boaster still
    Accepts the tryal with unequal skill.
    The venerable judge was seated high
    On his own hill, that seem'd to touch the sky.
    Above the whisp'ring trees his head he rears,
    From their encumbring boughs to free his ears;
    A wreath of oak alone his temples bound,
    The pendant acorns loosely dangled round.
    In me your judge, says he, there's no delay:
    Then bids the goatherd God begin, and play.
    Pan tun'd the pipe, and with his rural song
    Pleas'd the low taste of all the vulgar throng;
    Such songs a vulgar judgment mostly please,
    Midas was there, and Midas judg'd with these.

The mountain sire with grave deportment now
    To Phoebus turns his venerable brow:
    And, as he turns, with him the listning wood
    In the same posture of attention stood.
    The God his own Parnassian laurel crown'd,
    And in a wreath his golden tresses bound,
    Graceful his purple mantle swept the ground.
    High on the left his iv'ry lute he rais'd,
    The lute, emboss'd with glitt'ring jewels, blaz'd
    In his right hand he nicely held the quill,
    His easy posture spoke a master's skill.
    The strings he touch'd with more than human art,
    Which pleas'd the judge's ear, and sooth'd his heart;
    Who soon judiciously the palm decreed,
    And to the lute postpon'd the squeaking reed.

All, with applause, the rightful sentence heard,
    Midas alone dissatisfy'd appear'd;
    To him unjustly giv'n the judgment seems,
    For Pan's barbarick notes he most esteems.
    The lyrick God, who thought his untun'd ear
    Deserv'd but ill a human form to wear,
    Of that deprives him, and supplies the place
    With some more fit, and of an ampler space:
    Fix'd on his noddle an unseemly pair,
    Flagging, and large, and full of whitish hair;
    Without a total change from what he was,
    Still in the man preserves the simple ass.

He, to conceal the scandal of the deed,
    A purple turbant folds about his head;
    Veils the reproach from publick view, and fears
    The laughing world would spy his monstrous ears.
    One trusty barber-slave, that us'd to dress
    His master's hair, when lengthen'd to excess,
    The mighty secret knew, but knew alone,
    And, tho' impatient, durst not make it known.
    Restless, at last, a private place he found,
    Then dug a hole, and told it to the ground;
    In a low whisper he reveal'd the case,
    And cover'd in the earth, and silent left the place.

In time, of trembling reeds a plenteous crop
    From the confided furrow sprouted up;
    Which, high advancing with the ripening year,
    Made known the tiller, and his fruitless care:
    For then the rustling blades, and whisp'ring wind,
    To tell th' important secret, both combin'd.

Also something to look out for is who the translator is. Can make a big difference in interpretation.
    Looking over that, it seems fairly accurate to what I read, with no glaring discrepancies. The thing with the donkey ears I decided to more-or-less ignore (other then a brief joking mention in his History), since it seemed unusually weird even by Greek Myth standards and also had little bearing on the main thrust of his legend I was using.

Blog Entries
    Looking over that, it seems fairly accurate to what I read, with no glaring discrepancies. The thing with the donkey ears I decided to more-or-less ignore (other then a brief joking mention in his History), since it seemed unusually weird even by Greek Myth standards and also had little bearing on the main thrust of his legend I was using.

Blog Entries
    Those are cat ears though, not donkey.

Friendly neighborhood Dark Lord! Mr.Obsidian's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Not Worth anything yet
    Blog Entries
    So I just finished up a weird idea for a servant in my notebook and I'll post him when I get up. Not too sure how his reception will be since I questioned myself a little bit in the beginning but decided to just go with my gut and see where it went. though I am certain someone will find him an interesting oddball.
    My Servant Comepndium
    Make Middle-Earth great again!

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One asterism42's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Constructman View Post
    Jahan: I think you made a typo. Did you mean to say "magic, skills, abilities, and Noble Phantasms tied to the concepts of change, rot, corruption and death will be suppressed by the Taj Mahal’s aura."? Dunno what the "Other than" is there for. Does Jahan have any method of combat other than his own fists and the Taj Mahal's decay sealing aura? I gues he could turtle, but it would be very hard to hide...
    He carries, like, weapons and stuff. TBH my research didn't include military practices of the Mughal Empire.

His stepmother was supposedly well into tiger hunting, so I choose to infer that it was a royal pasttime, so let's say he also has a hunting rifle.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, the thing about magic was, in retrospect, badly worded. Thrown in a semicolon to make it clearer, even if it's probably grammatically poor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandstorm77 View Post
    He's just putting the bone of his sword into other people until it explodes and lets out parts of him inside them.
    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerEmiya View Post
    Genderswaps are terrible, but I think I and other people would hate them less if Fate didn't keep ignoring actual heroines throughout history and folklore. Like, why bother turning Francis Drake into a woman when Ching Shih and Grace O'Malley exist?
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    Fate Zero is just Fate Stay Night for people who think Shirou is too girly
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    I think Alex IV can eat Goku.