Page 128 of 782 FirstFirst ... 2878118123126127128129130133138178228628 ... LastLast
Results 2,541 to 2,560 of 15627

Thread: Create-a-Servant

Quote Originally Posted by NailsInYourFeet View Post
    The description of a female shield-bearing Servant who betrayed their own Master makes me think of Brynhildr more than anyone (had an entire mountain of shields surrounding her after all). Just my thoughts.

Onto different matters. Copypasted from the other Servant thread:

Now how does that line go again?

Though I stand before you incarnated as the Emperor Gaius, I am no man as I am all men, and therefore... a God!

~ Class - Rider (Berserker also possible) ~

~ True Identity - Emperor Caligula ~

~ Gender - Male (though can be altered with Neos Helios if assuming the role of a goddess) ~

~ Alignment - Chaotic Neutral (on a good day) ~

~ Appearance (don't know how to incorporate the eyepatch though) ~

~ Theme ~

Parameters

Strength (D) *****
    Endurance (E) *****
    Agility (C) *****
    Magic (C) *****
    Luck (E) *****

(Note that, while quite unimpressive for a Heroic Spirit, these are merely his default stats. With his Noble Phantasm Neos Helios they can be increased dramatically, with many different combinations possible depending on what role he takes)

Class Skills

Magic Resistance (Rank D)

Ability to cancel out the effects of magic, on the level of an amulet that rejects magical energy. Of course this Ranking only refers to his default state...

Riding (Rank B > A+)

Talent for Riding mounts and vehicles. Under normal circumstances Caligula gains the knowledge to effortlessly ride any earthly mount or vehicle, yet with use of his Noble Phantasm Neos Helios this Rank can be raised even higher to the point where the likes of Divine and Demonic Beasts are within his grasp.

Personal Abilities

Charisma (Rank A > E)

A rare skill; the talent to lead an army and inspire a nation, having the effect of increasing the abilities of allies in group battles.

Caligula can be considered an... unorthodox example of this. Upon first being summoned his Rank is befitting of those who've attained the highest imaginable level of popularity, yet as the Grail War goes on this slowly yet surely (or perhaps not slowly at all) descends to the absolute lowest, where though he may efficiently lead his followers he will not work wonders for their morale, to put it lightly.

Divinity (Rank A--)

The measure of divine blood inside a demigod. A very distant descendant of the goddess Venus, via his ancestor Aeneas, and a slighty-less-yet-still-fairly-distant descendant of either Mars or Heracles, via Romulus. However, unlike previous Roman Emperors Caligula received deification while still mortal, as opposed to merely after death.

Can be boosted to new extremes through the use of, again, his Noble Phantasm Neos Helios.

Innocent Monster (Rank C)

The name of the monster who had his past and way of being distorted through te image spawned from his behaviour in life. Incidentally this Skill cannot be unequiped.

Though there is enough evidence of Caligula's madness, it should be noted that his reign is considered to be poorly documented with definite bias against him, so it's quite likely we haven't been getting the full story on him.

Mental Pollution (Rank E > A)

Capacity to block out Mental Interference due to possessing a distorted mentality, yet at the same time it becomes nigh impossible to form an understanding with others unless they possess an equivalent Rank.

As a mirror to his Charisma Rank, this gradually increases the longer the Grail War goes on.

Noble Phantasms

~ Baiae - Every Chance of an Emperor (Rank C, Anti-Personnel) ~

Tiberius' soothsayer Thrasyllus of Mendes once prophesised that Caligula had no more chance of becoming an Emperor than of riding a horse across the bay of Baiae.

In response to this, after he did become emperor Caligula ordered the construction of a 'floating bridge' made possible through numerous ships together in a line, over which he did cross the bay riding his favourite horse Incitatus, wearing Alexander the Great's breastplate no less.

A crystalisation of this legendary stunt (and perhaps also the reversal of Caligula's own popularity), whenever mounted upon his ever-ready steed Incitatus Caligula receives the attribute 'Anti-Expectation', allowing him to intentionally defy any expectations of him his enemy may hold, in turn allowing him to pull off nigh impossible feats while riding.

Incitatus' own un-horselike qualities such as speech and religious knowledge may possibly be a side-effect of this Noble Phantasm.

However this Phantasm may sometimes be more of a curse than a blessing for Caligula, for example if he faces an enemy with not lower but higher expectations of him (unlikely due to his sickly frame and delusional personality, but still) this NP can instead end up restricting his abilities and even afflicting him with misfortune.

This means that Baiae can only effectively be used against each enemy once, unless they're that arrogant and assume that last time was but a fluke.

The only way not to trigger this Phantasm at all, for good or ill, is to simply face Caligula without holding any expectations.

~ Speculum Dianae - The Lunar Seconda Nave (Rank B, Anti-Fortress) ~

At the otherwise restricted holy ground of Lake Nemi Caligula ordered the building of two massive ships, both of which have been ranked as some of the larget built in the ancient world.

This Noble Phnatasm is the smaller of the two ships, designed as a temple to Diana or Isis, or possibly a synchronisation of both, though nowadays Caligula tends to look at it as a temple to his sister Drusilla.

The ship Speculum Dianae has the power to absorb faith and belief, or more accurately drain them away, sucking up any prayers or devotion it comes across and taking them into itself.

This can lead to any ability dependent on prayer or a connection with the gods being disabled and stolen away if used in its presence, can induce loss of hope and lack of willpower in anyone religious yet not mentally resistant enough, and after prolonged can even cause the destruction of any holy site, starting it by causing the heads of any religious figures to fall off (this being a direct nod to Caligula's own attacks against temples).

'Speculum Dianae' (reportedly translating to Diana's mirror), comes from the name given to the enchanting reflection of the Moon that may be glanced in Summer upon the waters of Lake Nemi, or Nemorensis Lacus as the Romans knew it. If you go by Tarot symbolism, the Moon itself may be a fitting allegory of Caligula's own madness.

~ Neos Helios - The Solar Prima Nave (Rank A, Support) ~

This was the larger of the two ships built at Lake Nemi, a massive floating palace of the highest luxury and grandest envisioning, probably the most extravagant yet outlandish of Caligula's constructions.

As a vessel it is a good deal sturdier than the Seconda Nave yet also far less agile, however its true function is not of a battleship but rather a temple, to none other than Caligula's own Divinity itself. The title 'Neos Helios' stems from Caligula's personal name as a God meaning the New Sun.

Within this floating palace he is able to take the 'faith' accumulated by his previous Noble Phantasm and transfer it into his own self, allowing him to imitate the likeness and powers of any God (or Goddess) who had any belief in them drained away by Speculum Dianae, with Incitatus in turn being granted the capabilities of any priest assigned to that diety.

Alternatively Caligula can draw upon all the accumulated belief at once and pile it into himself as God, if things are looking desperate or he just wants to be done with his foe.

Neos Helios
    is the closest he can get to realising a world where everything his madness led him to believe is absolutely true. This last Noble Phantasm is akin to a Reality Marble in that while it grants access to powers far above human, even Heroic Spirit level, Caligula can only use these miraculous powers inside this ship, with no effect or result of these powers able to be carried to the outside. Therefore in order to vanquish his foes they must first be lured into this ship, which may be accomplished easier given the destruction Speculum Dianae can cause.

Analysis

Though his Noble Phantasms are capable of major results if used well, without them Caligula ranks as a comparatively poor Servant, and with or without them he remains an extremely difficult to control one for any Master unfortunate enough to be saddled (pun possibly intended) with him.

Summoned along with him due to their close ties, Incitatus too can be viewed as a Heroic Spirit of sorts much like Bucephalus, with a Rank in Independent Action of around D, letting him assist Caligula mounted or unomunted (if that's the right word).

Incitatus' personality seems to be much more level-headed than that of Caligula's, though inevitably he finds himself drawn into whatever craziness Caligula may be plotting.

While Caligula may speak of countless (and often contradictory) desires he has for the Grail, such as abolishing all other religions so that only he is worshipped or being allowed to survive his assassination in history and continue his reign where he left it, deep down his one true wish for the Holy Grail would be simply to be loved again, like the adoration he received when he first ascended the Imperial Throne, the one moment in his adult life he remembers the fondest.

This is probably the one Servant profile I personally feel I've put the most effort and thought into so far, hence why I wanted to display it. Though I'm a bit worried about potential OPness, at the same time I'm not too fussed, due to the fun I had thinking up the NPs.
    Wasn't Brynhildr a valkyrie, and thus a kind of Divine Spirit? I forget...

I rather liked Caligula. At first, I thought he was going to be fanwanked, but he's actually quite balanced as all of his NPs have either a huge charge-up time (he needs the first ship to gather enough faith to really boost himself), or they have a big weakspot (the one revolving around expectations will blow up in his face if he faces the same foe twice and they expect him to be some invincible monster). To say nothing of the issue of his personality.

Oh, and I can't ever picture Caligula as anyone but a young Malcom McDowell, specifically his portrayal of Caligula.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    I don't think his NPs are overpowered at all, assuming that the Grail War he's summoned into is the one held in Faithless Atheism Land aka Japan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    All them kamis, man. He could take over the powers of a bush or a door or something.
    That's actually an interesting point. Wouldn't his ship be best used to attack the Ryuudou Temple?

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Man View Post
    Wasn't Brynhildr a valkyrie, and thus a kind of Divine Spirit? I forget...
    She's a valkyrie in the Poetic Edda, at least. In the Völsunga Saga her nature is left ambiguous. The Nibelunglied has her as a mundane queen (of Iceland) but Wagner used the Old Norse version of her as a Valkyrie. Whether being a Valkyrie constitutes as a Divine Spirit or not is hard to say. Brynhildr herself is not immortal in the Poetic Edda, but the same can be said with most Norse gods, as they all ultimately perish in Ragnarök.

In my big book of myths Balder came back at least.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TypeWannabe View Post
    In my big book of myths Balder came back at least.
    Yep, but at least he died once, just like everyone else.

Blog Entries
    My personal understanding was that Brynhildr was a valkyrie who had her Divinity taken away from her by Odin after the incident with the two kings (forget their names at the moment), rendering her a mortal woman, so she's legitimate Heroic Spirit material in my eyes.

Anyway, wouldn't say this is as good as my Caligula profile, but also copypasted from the other thread:

So you claim you could take it even if its walls were made of steel? Hah, I'd defend it even if its walls were made of butter!
    ~ Class - Archer ~

~ True Identity - Richard the Lionheart ~

~ Gender - Male ~

~ Alignment - Lawful Good/Chaotic Evil (very touchy subject about him) ~

~ Appearance (casual) ~

~ Theme (first thing that came to mind really) ~

Parameters

Strength (B) *****
    Endurance (E) *****
    Agility (B) *****
    Magic (C) *****
    Luck (D) *****

(His Magic stat could be higher weren't he continuously suppressing the demonic blood in his veins, yet his Endurance is that low as a side-effect of Battle Continuation as well as the sicknesses he suffered in life)

Class Skills

Independent Action (Rank B)

The ability to remain active even after the link to the Master has been broken. At higher ranks it is also possible to remain for extended periods of time in this world without an established contract.

Capable of remaining in this world for two days without an established contract. Also able to live on for a short period of time after suffering extensive damage to his spiritual core.

Magic Resistance (Rank D+)

Protection against magical effects. With the exception of E Rank or below where it merely reduces damage, this ability is the negation of magic spells altogether, provided they are not of a higher Rank than the Servant's own in this skill.

Resistance is on the level of an amulet that rejects magical power. Should potentially be higher, yet Richard himself faced no magical adversary in his lifetime (well, to my knowledge anyway).

Personal Abilities

Battle Continuation (Rank B)

The capacity to retain all fighting prowess even when severly wounded, at the cost of worsening long-term Endurance.

This is possibly a holy protection granted by the enchanted ring of the cephalophore St. Valerie, worn by Richard during his second coronation ceremony as Duke of Aquitaine. However even without the ring he still displayed remarkable combat ability while in severely ill health.

Charisma (Rank B-)

A rare skill; the talent to command an army and inspire a nation, having the effect of boosting the abilities of allies in group battles.

A suitable Ranking for the King of a country, however Richard himself was hardly an attentive king, being much more concerned with his role as a knight and duke.

Demonic Defender (Rank A+)

Able to mark territory as one's own via securing the ley-lines in the area, increasing one's fighting capacity when acting in defence of this territory.

In Richard's life the most notable example of this was his defence of Chateau Gaillard, which he claimed he'd hold even if its walls were made of butter. But another reason for it ranking so high is due to the actual demonic blood Richard carries, to the point where Inversion Impulse and even Crimson Red Vermillion are possible, though Richard has spent his whole life trying to resist them...

Divinity (Rank E-)

The measure of divine blood inside a demigod.

Reported to be a descendant of the Germanic God Wodan, however not only this is connection incredibly distant it's also one that Richard as a Christian knight would be quick to deny. Furthermore reduced by (again) his much closer demonic ancestry.

(Was going to give him Military Tactics what with him being a noted tactician, but decided to scrap it as I had no room plus I didn't give him any Anti-Battalion NPs to use it with)

Noble Phantasms

~ Siege of Acre - The Unrelenting Bow (Rank E > A, Anti-Personnel) ~

His prime qualification for the Archer class, it was with this crossbow that he accomplished the feat of successfully sniping down numerous enemy archers, all while being with stricken with scurvy and having to be carried out on a stretcher.

As a crystallisation of this feat, this bow increases in both power and success rate the lower Richard's current health is, going from shooting purely mundane crossbow bolts to avenging arrows of holy blessing (or if Inversion Impulse has kicked in, then heat-seeking rays smothered in the Sixth Element). Coupled with his Battle Continuation Rank this makes Richard paradoxically a much more dangerous enemy at low health then he is at his full strength, befitting though of a man praised as a subtle genius even by his enemies in the field of war.

~ Crimson Red Vermillion - Lineage of the Inferno (Rank A-, Support) ~

Bit of backstory here. According to legend a member of the Anjou family encountered a beautiful yet mysterious woman on his travels throught Europe and asked her to be his bride. Yet for reason she would never explain she always refused to attend Church, and when eventually they forced her to go she still always left before the most important part in the ceremony. Finally the guards ended up blocking her way when she tried to leave again, so she resumed her true form as a demoness and flew off into the air.
    Ever since, the lineage of Anjou of which Richard is descended from have said to be cursed with demonic heritage.

Crimson Red Vermillion is the ultimate stage of demonic reversion, one which Richard has his entire life been trying to resist, mainly through his adherence to the Christian faith and the collection of holy relics he surrounds himself with. Should this stage ever be fully activated however, then Richard's Strength, Agility and Magic will all be boosted and he'll be able to suck the very life energy out of his opponents with each attack, through draining away all the heat that keeps them moving.

Richard is more interested in obtaining the Holy Grail simply for the sake of obtaining it, to make up for being unable to capture Jerusalem and failing both God and his mother who also tried to take it. Yet if Richard did have one wish he would use on the Grail then it would be to definitely rid all traces of the Anjou line's demonic blood.

~ Chateau Gaillard - Fair Castle of the Rock (Rank B, Support) ~

(As if I wasn't worried enough when I tried to fit Crimson Red Vermillion into his profile, this one Noble Phantasm made me really concerned what others would think of this profile. Yet at the same time, I'm not too bothered if this NP sounds rather silly, I find it too much fun to ever remove)

In the time since the Third Crusade, Chateau Gaillard was Richard's personal masterpiece, a massive fortress said to be a century ahead of its time. Said to have seen to its construction himself, when his enemies claimed they could take it even if its walls were made of steel, he retaliated by saying he'd defend it even if its walls were made of- yadda yadda, I've repeated this line enough already.

Within the Territory Richard sets up for himself using the Demonic Defender skill, he becomes able to materialise objects, weapons and inventions from up to one century into the future, though they'll disintegrate back into the ether if taken one step outside his marked Territory.

(A profile for him on another site said he wielded a famous sword called Peregrinus whose sheath had been blessed by the Church. Seeing how couldn't find any further information on this 'famous sword' I chose not to include it, though I would be interested if anyone else had any further knowledge of it or what basis it has, if it exists)

Analysis

I wasn't too comfortable about posting this profile as it directly draws upon Nasuverse elements, ones not limited to the Fate series even. I know that with him being a Western hero it may be geographically inaccurate to make Richard a descendant of the Fiendish Kind and give him access to Crimson Red Vermillion, but as I'm more familiar with Tsukihime than whatever's going on in DDD, and also saw a sheet for Elizabeth Bathory that went ahead and gave her Crimson Red Vermillion, I figured "Why not?".

All the stuff about the Anjou having infernal blood I got from, er, well, a Horrible Histories book of all things, but found the story interesting enough so I decided to include it.

I once heard someone on another site protest about the use of King Richard on the grounds that he'd be too similar in character to Altria, which I find funny because:
    Altria: "I failed England, so I'll use the Grail to grant England a more suitable King who can lead England to a brighter future".
    Richard: "...Where again?"

I actually have some NP ideas for a profile of his mother Eleanor of Aquitaine, as a Rider Servant since I couldn't think of anything else. Worried they may be too similar to Verg's profile for Keiji Maeda though.

So, Richard or Saladin; seme or uke? Oh come on, I can't be the only one pondering this.

Quote Originally Posted by NailsInYourFeet View Post
    My personal understanding was that Brynhildr was a valkyrie who had her Divinity taken away from her by Odin after the incident with the two kings (forget their names at the moment), rendering her a mortal woman, so she's legitimate Heroic Spirit material in my eyes.

Anyway, wouldn't say this is as good as my Caligula profile, but also copypasted from the other thread:

So you claim you could take it even if its walls were made of steel? Hah, I'd defend it even if its walls were made of butter!
    ~ Class - Archer ~

~ True Identity - Richard the Lionheart ~

~ Gender - Male ~

~ Alignment - Lawful Good/Chaotic Evil (very touchy subject about him) ~

~ Appearance (casual) ~

~ Theme (first thing that came to mind really) ~

Parameters

Strength (B) *****
    Endurance (E) *****
    Agility (B) *****
    Magic (C) *****
    Luck (D) *****

(His Magic stat could be higher weren't he continuously suppressing the demonic blood in his veins, yet his Endurance is that low as a side-effect of Battle Continuation as well as the sicknesses he suffered in life)

Class Skills

Independent Action (Rank B)

The ability to remain active even after the link to the Master has been broken. At higher ranks it is also possible to remain for extended periods of time in this world without an established contract.

Capable of remaining in this world for two days without an established contract. Also able to live on for a short period of time after suffering extensive damage to his spiritual core.

Magic Resistance (Rank D+)

Protection against magical effects. With the exception of E Rank or below where it merely reduces damage, this ability is the negation of magic spells altogether, provided they are not of a higher Rank than the Servant's own in this skill.

Resistance is on the level of an amulet that rejects magical power. Should potentially be higher, yet Richard himself faced no magical adversary in his lifetime (well, to my knowledge anyway).

Personal Abilities

Battle Continuation (Rank B)

The capacity to retain all fighting prowess even when severly wounded, at the cost of worsening long-term Endurance.

This is possibly a holy protection granted by the enchanted ring of the cephalophore St. Valerie, worn by Richard during his second coronation ceremony as Duke of Aquitaine. However even without the ring he still displayed remarkable combat ability while in severely ill health.

Charisma (Rank B-)

A rare skill; the talent to command an army and inspire a nation, having the effect of boosting the abilities of allies in group battles.

A suitable Ranking for the King of a country, however Richard himself was hardly an attentive king, being much more concerned with his role as a knight and duke.

Demonic Defender (Rank A+)

Able to mark territory as one's own via securing the ley-lines in the area, increasing one's fighting capacity when acting in defence of this territory.

In Richard's life the most notable example of this was his defence of Chateau Gaillard, which he claimed he'd hold even if its walls were made of butter. But another reason for it ranking so high is due to the actual demonic blood Richard carries, to the point where Inversion Impulse and even Crimson Red Vermillion are possible, though Richard has spent his whole life trying to resist them...

Divinity (Rank E-)

The measure of divine blood inside a demigod.

Reported to be a descendant of the Germanic God Wodan, however not only this is connection incredibly distant it's also one that Richard as a Christian knight would be quick to deny. Furthermore reduced by (again) his much closer demonic ancestry.

(Was going to give him Military Tactics what with him being a noted tactician, but decided to scrap it as I had no room plus I didn't give him any Anti-Battalion NPs to use it with)

Noble Phantasms

~ Siege of Acre - The Unrelenting Bow (Rank E > A, Anti-Personnel) ~

His prime qualification for the Archer class, it was with this crossbow that he accomplished the feat of successfully sniping down numerous enemy archers, all while being with stricken with scurvy and having to be carried out on a stretcher.

As a crystallisation of this feat, this bow increases in both power and success rate the lower Richard's current health is, going from shooting purely mundane crossbow bolts to avenging arrows of holy blessing (or if Inversion Impulse has kicked in, then heat-seeking rays smothered in the Sixth Element). Coupled with his Battle Continuation Rank this makes Richard paradoxically a much more dangerous enemy at low health then he is at his full strength, befitting though of a man praised as a subtle genius even by his enemies in the field of war.

~ Crimson Red Vermillion - Lineage of the Inferno (Rank A-, Support) ~

Bit of backstory here. According to legend a member of the Anjou family encountered a beautiful yet mysterious woman on his travels throught Europe and asked her to be his bride. Yet for reason she would never explain she always refused to attend Church, and when eventually they forced her to go she still always left before the most important part in the ceremony. Finally the guards ended up blocking her way when she tried to leave again, so she resumed her true form as a demoness and flew off into the air.
    Ever since, the lineage of Anjou of which Richard is descended from have said to be cursed with demonic heritage.

Crimson Red Vermillion is the ultimate stage of demonic reversion, one which Richard has his entire life been trying to resist, mainly through his adherence to the Christian faith and the collection of holy relics he surrounds himself with. Should this stage ever be fully activated however, then Richard's Strength, Agility and Magic will all be boosted and he'll be able to suck the very life energy out of his opponents with each attack, through draining away all the heat that keeps them moving.

Richard is more interested in obtaining the Holy Grail simply for the sake of obtaining it, to make up for being unable to capture Jerusalem and failing both God and his mother who also tried to take it. Yet if Richard did have one wish he would use on the Grail then it would be to definitely rid all traces of the Anjou line's demonic blood.

~ Chateau Gaillard - Fair Castle of the Rock (Rank B, Support) ~

(As if I wasn't worried enough when I tried to fit Crimson Red Vermillion into his profile, this one Noble Phantasm made me really concerned what others would think of this profile. Yet at the same time, I'm not too bothered if this NP sounds rather silly, I find it too much fun to ever remove)

In the time since the Third Crusade, Chateau Gaillard was Richard's personal masterpiece, a massive fortress said to be a century ahead of its time. Said to have seen to its construction himself, when his enemies claimed they could take it even if its walls were made of steel, he retaliated by saying he'd defend it even if its walls were made of- yadda yadda, I've repeated this line enough already.

Within the Territory Richard sets up for himself using the Demonic Defender skill, he becomes able to materialise objects, weapons and inventions from up to one century into the future, though they'll disintegrate back into the ether if taken one step outside his marked Territory.

(A profile for him on another site said he wielded a famous sword called Peregrinus whose sheath had been blessed by the Church. Seeing how couldn't find any further information on this 'famous sword' I chose not to include it, though I would be interested if anyone else had any further knowledge of it or what basis it has, if it exists)

Analysis

I wasn't too comfortable about posting this profile as it directly draws upon Nasuverse elements, ones not limited to the Fate series even. I know that with him being a Western hero it may be geographically inaccurate to make Richard a descendant of the Fiendish Kind and give him access to Crimson Red Vermillion, but as I'm more familiar with Tsukihime than whatever's going on in DDD, and also saw a sheet for Elizabeth Bathory that went ahead and gave her Crimson Red Vermillion, I figured "Why not?".

All the stuff about the Anjou having infernal blood I got from, er, well, a Horrible Histories book of all things, but found the story interesting enough so I decided to include it.

I once heard someone on another site protest about the use of King Richard on the grounds that he'd be too similar in character to Altria, which I find funny because:
    Altria: "I failed England, so I'll use the Grail to grant England a more suitable King who can lead England to a brighter future".
    Richard: "...Where again?"

I actually have some NP ideas for a profile of his mother Eleanor of Aquitaine, as a Rider Servant since I couldn't think of anything else. Worried they may be too similar to Verg's profile for Keiji Maeda though.

So, Richard or Saladin; seme or uke? Oh come on, I can't be the only one pondering this.
    Couldn't he just use the Chateu to give himself some high-tech crossbow and then use Siege of Acre with that?

I actually liked him, though I'll admit the Chateau was kind of "Whoa, it does what!?", but at least its original.

Oh, and picturing a gender-swapped Kyouko as King Richard just makes me lol for some reason...

Edit: Feeling kind of inspired thanks to NailsInYourFeet. Might do a profile by sometime next Thursday, maybe sooner if I can find the spare time.
    Last edited by G-Man; July 19th, 2012 at 09:31 AM.

Time to burn some dread Daneel Rush's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I put aside my failed attempts at building Servant Themistocles to write someone I can actually handle with some ease. This hero has been brought to you courtesy of the word "Asuka".

Spoiler:

MONONOBE NO MORIYA
    Servant: Rider (Berserker)

Height: 167 cm
    Weight: 78 kg

Alignment: Lawful Neutral (Lawful Insane)

Appearance: Moriya appears to be in his late thirties; a stout man with blocky, square features that might remind some of fantasy dwarves. He has small beady eyes of a very dark shade of brown, and his neatly trimmed, wiry and somewhat curly ashen hair barely carpets his head except for the pair of very notorious sideburns. He wears the courtly robes of the era with ample sleeves, and he carries a Japanese sword on his waist.

Strength C (B)
    Endurance C (B)
    Agility C (B)
    Magic D
    Luck D
    Noble Phantasm A+

Class Skills:
    * Mad Enhancement (Berserker Only): Raises basic parameters in exchange of hindering mental capacities. In some cases, also seals away Personal Skills.
    C – Rank up for all parameters except Luck and Mana, but in exchange one can no longer think and speak properly.
    * Magic Resistance (Rider Only): Grants protection against magical effects.
    C – Cancels spells with a chant below two verses. Cannot defend against Magecraft on the level of High-Thaumaturgy and Greater Rituals.
    * Riding (Rider Only): Expertise to ride animals and vehicles.
    A – All creatures but those of the Phantasmal Beast and Divine Beast can be used as mounts.

Personal Skills:
    * Protection of the Faith: A Skill possessed only by those who have sacrificed themselves for a religious view. Despite being a form of divine protection, it is not a blessing from a higher existence. It is only the absoluteness of one's body and soul, which is born from faith. But if it is too high, it causes abnormalities in the personality.
    C – Increases defensive parameters against mysteries connected to non-Shinto faiths. The rank is not very high because, after all, he was eventually defeated by a foreign mystery.
    * Riding (Berserker Only): Expertise to ride animals and vehicles.
    B+ – Most vehicles can be handled with above average skill. However, cannot ride the likes of Phantasm Races such as Demonic Beast and Holy Beast-rank creatures. Moriya can use the divine vessel, Ame no Iwafune, even when under the effect of Mad Enhancement without loss of skill.

Noble Phantasms:
    Skyward Shrine Carrying the Blessings of the Sun
    天の磐
    (Ame no Iwafune)
    Type: Anti-Army
    Range: 5-99
    Maximum number of targets: 200 people

The grandiose golden flying vessel in which the divine ancestor of Mononobe, Nigihayahi no mikoto, traveled to the ancient Japanese land from the divine realm of Takamagahara. It is a mystical descendant of the original Japanese aircraft-type Noble Phantasm, Ame no Torifune, and both vessels are connected to the Vimana of primeval Hindi mythology. It is a golden flying platform, similar in shape to an aircraft carrier and powered by the light of all stars collected in sacred pillars (onbashira) adorned with mystical seals carrying the blessing of Amaterasu-oumikami. Like all such divine vehicles, it is controlled merely by thought and responds as the speed of thought itself. It is equipped with an array of mystic cannons capable of providing supporting fire in every direction; they may shoot either high-powered laser beams or jet streams of golden flame, either of them imbued with holy power of divine purification. It was this potent mystical barrage which obliterated the magical defenses of Sakuraiji and reduced that very first Japanese Buddhist temple to ashes.

Background
    Also known as Mononobe Yuge no Moriya no Muraji, or as Oumuraji Yuge no Moriya. The most well-known member of that great Japanese clan of the Asuka period, greater than all his peers in both pride and might. His great weakness was, undoubtedly, his boundless xenophobia. It was his rejection of foreign, “barbarian” influences and his extreme conservatism that pushed him into engaging in ferocious opposition of the budding Buddhist movement in Japan. Unlike his relatives, who acted against the adoption of Buddhism in the political front, Moriya acted decisively and even recklessly to nip the “problem” at the bud. He harassed open converts and forced them to mock and step on figures of the Buddha, and he used the immense influence of his clan to bring misery to clans that dared adopt the foreign religion. However, when Youmei, the Emperor himself, was converted to Buddhism by that most hated Soga clan, something within Moriya broke.

Haibutsu Kishaku. That was the name of Mononobe no Moriya’s anti-Buddhism campaign, a berserk rampage legendary in its cruelty and mercilessness. The first Buddhist temples and images of the Buddha that graced Japan became food for the flames. Wielding the ancestral Noble Phantasm of the Mononobe clan and going as far as to unleash the power of an ancient divine flying vessel, Moriya unleashed calamitous power upon the land he judged tainted and hopeless. The holy flames of Ame no Iwafune would purify his precious Yamato.

It was at that time that Emperor Youmei died of illness. The young and promising leader of the Soga clan, Soga no Umako, roused the people of Yamato by claiming the evil deeds of Mononobe no Moriya and his rejection of the Buddhist ways had sent the Emperor to an early grave. Farmers and nobles alike took arms and together brought the Mononobe clan in its entirety to extinction in the Battle of Shigisan. Umako himself put down the mad Moriya with potent hybrid Buddhist-Shinto Thaumaturgy. He was assisted in this fearsome task by a very young Prince Umayado, the same one who would in a few years become the greatest figure of the Asuka period: Prince Shoutoku. Thus, the greatest of the Mononobe died in shame, scorned by the nation he had once loved more than anything in the world. His last words were curses—until the very last moment, Moriya believed himself to be in the right, and that foreign influences would spell the doom of Yamato.

Keywords
    Alternate summoning – Accidental variations or “glitches” in the summoning process could lead to Mononobe no Moriya being summoned as a Caster, in a similar manner to Gilles de Rais in the Fourth Heaven’s Feel. Just like the French knight, Moriya possessed no magical ability of his own, however, he would make up for that with the Noble Phantasm he would receive as Servant Caster.

Ten Sacred Treasures, Gift of the Immaculate Sun
    天璽瑞宝十種
    (Amatsushirushi Mizutakara Tokusa)
    Type: Variable
    Range: Variable
    Maximum number of targets: Variable

The “ten kinds of heavenly-emblem sacred treasures” bestowed by Amaterasu on Nigihayahi no mikoto azt the time of his descent from the Plain of High Heaven. Also known as the Tokusa no Kandakara or the Jusshu Jinpou; as a mystery they are descended from Suiten Nikkou Amaterasu Yano Shizu Ishi.

While they are ten separate objects, each with its individual, unique and specific effect, they count as Mononobe no Moriya’s single Noble Phantasm. They are:

• Okitsukagami: The “Mirror of the Deep”, which allows Moriya to remove one lethal wound from the fate of the target, effectively bringing him back from the brink of death.
    • Hetsukagami: The “Mirror of the Shore”, which restores all non-lethal wounds and removes all detrimental natural or magical conditions affecting the target.
    • Yatsuka-no-tsurugi: The “Eight-Hands-Long Sword” which “cuts through negativity”, erasing curses, bad luck, bad karma, supernatural diseases, and even restoring diminished morale with a single slash.
    • Ikutama: The “Jewel of Life” that restores damage to the soul of a living being or the spiritual core of a Servant. It can even remove unnatural alterations to a subject’s Origin, Element or Affinity.
    • Makaru kaeshi no tama: The “Jewel of Resuscitation” which reanimates the dead and can even restore a fallen Servant into a diminished container.
    • Tarutama: The “Jewel of Plenty”, which allows Moriya to act independently of a Master as long as it can tap on the mana within a leyline.
    • Chikaeshi no tama: The “Jewel of Turning Back on the Road”, which protects its owner of any effect that would prevent him from reaching his destination, going as far as to oppose the effect of Command Seals.
    • Orochi no hire: The “Snake-repelling Scarf” that protects against “Earthly disasters”, including and not limited to Earth-element Thaumaturgy.
    • Hachi no hire: The “Bee-repelling Scarf” that protects against “disasters from the air”.
    • Kusagusa no mono no hire: The “Scarf to Ward off Various Things”, which creates a personal, moving A-rank Bounded Field that protects Moriya against any kind of attack, even those that do not inflict physical harm.

Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Rush View Post
    I put aside my failed attempts at building Servant Themistocles to write someone I can actually handle with some ease. This hero has been brought to you courtesy of the word "Asuka".

Spoiler:

MONONOBE NO MORIYA
    Servant: Rider (Berserker)

Height: 167 cm
    Weight: 78 kg

Alignment: Lawful Neutral (Lawful Insane)

Appearance: Moriya appears to be in his late thirties; a stout man with blocky, square features that might remind some of fantasy dwarves. He has small beady eyes of a very dark shade of brown, and his neatly trimmed, wiry and somewhat curly ashen hair barely carpets his head except for the pair of very notorious sideburns. He wears the courtly robes of the era with ample sleeves, and he carries a Japanese sword on his waist.

Strength C (B)
    Endurance C (B)
    Agility C (B)
    Magic D
    Luck D
    Noble Phantasm A+

Class Skills:
    * Mad Enhancement (Berserker Only): Raises basic parameters in exchange of hindering mental capacities. In some cases, also seals away Personal Skills.
    C – Rank up for all parameters except Luck and Mana, but in exchange one can no longer think and speak properly.
    * Magic Resistance (Rider Only): Grants protection against magical effects.
    C – Cancels spells with a chant below two verses. Cannot defend against Magecraft on the level of High-Thaumaturgy and Greater Rituals.
    * Riding (Rider Only): Expertise to ride animals and vehicles.
    A – All creatures but those of the Phantasmal Beast and Divine Beast can be used as mounts.

Personal Skills:
    * Protection of the Faith: A Skill possessed only by those who have sacrificed themselves for a religious view. Despite being a form of divine protection, it is not a blessing from a higher existence. It is only the absoluteness of one's body and soul, which is born from faith. But if it is too high, it causes abnormalities in the personality.
    C – Increases defensive parameters against mysteries connected to non-Shinto faiths. The rank is not very high because, after all, he was eventually defeated by a foreign mystery.
    * Riding (Berserker Only): Expertise to ride animals and vehicles.
    B+ – Most vehicles can be handled with above average skill. However, cannot ride the likes of Phantasm Races such as Demonic Beast and Holy Beast-rank creatures. Moriya can use the divine vessel, Ame no Iwafune, even when under the effect of Mad Enhancement without loss of skill.

Noble Phantasms:
    Skyward Shrine Carrying the Blessings of the Sun
    天の磐
    (Ame no Iwafune)
    Type: Anti-Army
    Range: 5-99
    Maximum number of targets: 200 people

The grandiose golden flying vessel in which the divine ancestor of Mononobe, Nigihayahi no mikoto, traveled to the ancient Japanese land from the divine realm of Takamagahara. It is a mystical descendant of the original Japanese aircraft-type Noble Phantasm, Ame no Torifune, and both vessels are connected to the Vimana of primeval Hindi mythology. It is a golden flying platform, similar in shape to an aircraft carrier and powered by the light of all stars collected in sacred pillars (onbashira) adorned with mystical seals carrying the blessing of Amaterasu-oumikami. Like all such divine vehicles, it is controlled merely by thought and responds as the speed of thought itself. It is equipped with an array of mystic cannons capable of providing supporting fire in every direction; they may shoot either high-powered laser beams or jet streams of golden flame, either of them imbued with holy power of divine purification. It was this potent mystical barrage which obliterated the magical defenses of Sakuraiji and reduced that very first Japanese Buddhist temple to ashes.

Background
    Also known as Mononobe Yuge no Moriya no Muraji, or as Oumuraji Yuge no Moriya. The most well-known member of that great Japanese clan of the Asuka period, greater than all his peers in both pride and might. His great weakness was, undoubtedly, his boundless xenophobia. It was his rejection of foreign, “barbarian” influences and his extreme conservatism that pushed him into engaging in ferocious opposition of the budding Buddhist movement in Japan. Unlike his relatives, who acted against the adoption of Buddhism in the political front, Moriya acted decisively and even recklessly to nip the “problem” at the bud. He harassed open converts and forced them to mock and step on figures of the Buddha, and he used the immense influence of his clan to bring misery to clans that dared adopt the foreign religion. However, when Youmei, the Emperor himself, was converted to Buddhism by that most hated Soga clan, something within Moriya broke.

Haibutsu Kishaku. That was the name of Mononobe no Moriya’s anti-Buddhism campaign, a berserk rampage legendary in its cruelty and mercilessness. The first Buddhist temples and images of the Buddha that graced Japan became food for the flames. Wielding the ancestral Noble Phantasm of the Mononobe clan and going as far as to unleash the power of an ancient divine flying vessel, Moriya unleashed calamitous power upon the land he judged tainted and hopeless. The holy flames of Ame no Iwafune would purify his precious Yamato.

It was at that time that Emperor Youmei died of illness. The young and promising leader of the Soga clan, Soga no Umako, roused the people of Yamato by claiming the evil deeds of Mononobe no Moriya and his rejection of the Buddhist ways had sent the Emperor to an early grave. Farmers and nobles alike took arms and together brought the Mononobe clan in its entirety to extinction in the Battle of Shigisan. Umako himself put down the mad Moriya with potent hybrid Buddhist-Shinto Thaumaturgy. He was assisted in this fearsome task by a very young Prince Umayado, the same one who would in a few years become the greatest figure of the Asuka period: Prince Shoutoku. Thus, the greatest of the Mononobe died in shame, scorned by the nation he had once loved more than anything in the world. His last words were curses—until the very last moment, Moriya believed himself to be in the right, and that foreign influences would spell the doom of Yamato.

Keywords
    Alternate summoning – Accidental variations or “glitches” in the summoning process could lead to Mononobe no Moriya being summoned as a Caster, in a similar manner to Gilles de Rais in the Fourth Heaven’s Feel. Just like the French knight, Moriya possessed no magical ability of his own, however, he would make up for that with the Noble Phantasm he would receive as Servant Caster.

Ten Sacred Treasures, Gift of the Immaculate Sun
    天璽瑞宝十種
    (Amatsushirushi Mizutakara Tokusa)
    Type: Variable
    Range: Variable
    Maximum number of targets: Variable

The “ten kinds of heavenly-emblem sacred treasures” bestowed by Amaterasu on Nigihayahi no mikoto azt the time of his descent from the Plain of High Heaven. Also known as the Tokusa no Kandakara or the Jusshu Jinpou; as a mystery they are descended from Suiten Nikkou Amaterasu Yano Shizu Ishi.

While they are ten separate objects, each with its individual, unique and specific effect, they count as Mononobe no Moriya’s single Noble Phantasm. They are:

• Okitsukagami: The “Mirror of the Deep”, which allows Moriya to remove one lethal wound from the fate of the target, effectively bringing him back from the brink of death.
    • Hetsukagami: The “Mirror of the Shore”, which restores all non-lethal wounds and removes all detrimental natural or magical conditions affecting the target.
    • Yatsuka-no-tsurugi: The “Eight-Hands-Long Sword” which “cuts through negativity”, erasing curses, bad luck, bad karma, supernatural diseases, and even restoring diminished morale with a single slash.
    • Ikutama: The “Jewel of Life” that restores damage to the soul of a living being or the spiritual core of a Servant. It can even remove unnatural alterations to a subject’s Origin, Element or Affinity.
    • Makaru kaeshi no tama: The “Jewel of Resuscitation” which reanimates the dead and can even restore a fallen Servant into a diminished container.
    • Tarutama: The “Jewel of Plenty”, which allows Moriya to act independently of a Master as long as it can tap on the mana within a leyline.
    • Chikaeshi no tama: The “Jewel of Turning Back on the Road”, which protects its owner of any effect that would prevent him from reaching his destination, going as far as to oppose the effect of Command Seals.
    • Orochi no hire: The “Snake-repelling Scarf” that protects against “Earthly disasters”, including and not limited to Earth-element Thaumaturgy.
    • Hachi no hire: The “Bee-repelling Scarf” that protects against “disasters from the air”.
    • Kusagusa no mono no hire: The “Scarf to Ward off Various Things”, which creates a personal, moving A-rank Bounded Field that protects Moriya against any kind of attack, even those that do not inflict physical harm.

It sounds like the summoner would be better off glitching the summoning on purpose to get him as a Caster. Funny enough, I was just checking out a Touhou doujin on Danbooru starring Toyosatomimi no Miko, who is a gender-swapped version of Prince Shoutoku!

Blog Entries
    Toyotomimi is a fun guy I have to write as a Servant one day. He would be freakishly strong; I mean, he's got Clairaudience, two very famous swords and the Mystic Eyes of LASERS.

Toyotomimi is a fun guy I have to write as a Servant one day. He would be freakishly strong; I mean, he's got Clairaudience, two very famous swords and the Mystic Eyes of LASERS.
    I'm guessing clairaudience means he can hear thoughts (or rather he can hear your ten desires)? You know, I kind of wondered about his swords. I'm really hoping you do a profile on him now because I was thinking of it myself but after reading your description I was all "Whoa! He had laser eyes!? I didn't know that!!" and now I'm kind of intimidated at the prospect. On the bright side, you won't lack for pics if want to genderswap him.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, according to the legend, in the battle against Mononobe no Moriya, Toyotomimi offered to build a temple to the Four Heavenly Kings if he achieved victory, and apparently that gave him EYE BEAMS.

"A death-ray issues from the prince's eye as Moriya attacks with an iron bar."

FUCKING. AWESOME.

Yeah, according to the legend, in the battle against Mononobe no Moriya, Toyotomimi offered to build a temple to the Four Heavenly Kings if he achieved victory, and apparently that gave him EYE BEAMS.

"A death-ray issues from the prince's eye as Moriya attacks with an iron bar."

FUCKING. AWESOME.
    That... is the most incredible thing I have ever seen in ancient Japanese drawings ever!

A cookie to anyone who gets the reference:

"Heat beam eye blasts?" "HEAT BEAM EYE BLASTS!!"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Plato, Meno, 80a
    καὶ νῦν, ὥς γέ μοι δοκεῖς, γοητεύεις με καὶ φαρμάττεις καὶ ἀτεχνῶς κατεπᾴδεις, ὥστε μεστὸν ἀπορίας γεγονέναι.

Meno: Even now, so I think, you are hypnotising me and bewitching and innocently lulling me, so that I become completely bewildered.

Class: Caster
    Master: HYPNOS
    Name: Sokrates
    Alignment: Chaotic Good

Appearance:
    The summoning is complete. Now he stands before you, Sokrates the son of Sophroniskos, Servant Caster. Your first impressions is … he's ugly. The ropey muscles of his arms are entirely out of proportion with the rest of his rail-thin body. His nose is too large and thick, his brow hangs primaevally over squinting eyes. Only a few strands of grey hair straggle down from his head, but his messy and tangled beard could probably serve as a nest for some (unfortunate) bird. Then he speaks, and his voice washes away those thoughts. It is deep and rolling. Powerful and convincing. Unfortunately, it's also less than helpful.

“I believe myself to be a statue, young one. Prove to me that it is otherwise, or I shall stand in place forever, as statues are accustomed to do.”

“Er ...”

Parameters
    Strength: C
    Endurance: B+
    Agility: D
    Magic: B
    Luck: C
    Noble Phantasm: B

Class Skills
    Item Creation – D+: Sokrates was skilled in mundane and thaumaturgical ways of shaping stone from his early years. Indeed, it seemed that he had an extraordinary natural aptitude for it, which would have won him great renown. Unfortunately, he let his crafting fall by the wayside later in life, leaving him both penniless in life and unpractised for the rigours of a Holy Grail War.

Territory Creation – C: Appropriate for the creation of a degraded workshop, suitable for enhancing some single function of a magus' art, where a full workshop might enhance all of them. It is reported that many wise men who came to debate with Sokrates in the Agora seemed confounded when they confronted him. Some magi believe that a certain bounded field had been set up to increase Sokrates' rhetorical abilities, or to decrease those of his opponents. Others have suggested that it only decreased the prana needed for Sokrates' spells of persistence. If any of these are so, it could give credence to the theory of Sokrates' madness, since it would be truly hypocritical for a seeker of knowledge to pervert his debates. Whatever the truth, Servant Caster has gained access to the skill.

Personal Skills

Rhetoric – A: Skill in debate and persuasion.
    At such a high rank, arguments can nearly have the force of a command spell. Sokrates was a citizen of the direct democracy in Athens and came to the public forum of the Agora almost daily. His oratorical skills are extremely great. However, as effective as Sokrates may be in debate, he is likely to take up contrary positions for the sake of it, and may even discourage allies whom he should be inspiring them with his speeches. Such penalties are applied at the same strength as the bonuses would be.

Knowledge of the True Self – B: The extent to which a Servant can discern the truth of themself.
    Sokrates was declared to be the wisest man in all Greece by the Oracle of Delphi since he did not deceive himself about the extent of his wisdom. All illusions which ought to give Sokrates a more favourable view of himself, his position on the battle-field and so forth, require an extra roll to take effect and will still only operate at half their normal power.

Noble Phantasms:

Mύωψ ~ Incessant Examination

The Noble Phantasm most representative of Sokrates. A gadfly is summoned, which will buzz about the target, continually harassing them. The effect is to cause a rank down to all the opponent's stats within a round, and each further day will incur an additional penalty. The Noble Phantasm will immediately recreate the gadfly if it is killed: the only way to be rid of it is to defeat Socrates in reasoned debate. As a side effect of this Noble Phantasm, the target becomes hyper-aware of themselves and the space around them - illusions and mental interference attacks will act at half their normal power. If it is used against someone who must sleep, it will be particularly effective, since it is completely impossible to fall asleep whilst the gadfly harasses you. Normal mortals are likely to swiftly been driven mad.

Sokrates might occasionally use this Noble Phantasm on himself. He may dismiss it whenever he wishes, but will only do so when he feels he has broken down some incorrect perception of his. Unless the power of a Command Spell compels him, he will labour under its effects even in deadly battle.

Type: Anti-Unit Noble Phantasm
    Range: 1-10
    Maximum Target: 1 person

Δαιμόνιον ~ Heretical Divination

A tiny Divine Spirit, born from and maintaining itself solely through Sokrates' worship. Its presence allows Sokrates to use Divine Words at B-rank, a sorely needed speed boost for his generally long-winded spells.

The δαιμόνιον is also occasionally inclined to give prophecies, forecasting some course of action as favourable or unfavourable. Not only is this a glimpse into the future, but if one acts to seize a favourable opportunity, all parameters will be increased in pursuit of it and success will ensure a permanent boost to the Luck rank. Conversely, attempting a course of action the Divine Spirit has advised against will incur penalties to Luck (should the event come to pass, all parameters receive a rank down).

Unfortunately, the δαιμόνιον's close connection to Sokrates has made it just as odd as he. It does not discriminate between friend and foe when it delivers its advice. Moreover, the prophecies tend involve bizarre actions no-one would normally consider, ignoring potentially easier and more straight-forward options. It will be up to the Master to decide if the sheer circuity involved (or, often, deep embarrassment) is worth divine favour.

Type: Anti-Unit Noble Phantasm
    Range: 1-5
    Maximum Targets: 1

Legend
    One of the most curious Athenians ever to have lived (in both senses). Sokrates associated with all the tutors of wisdom, but also roundly mocked them; he took up philosophical positions just to see them toppled (or to topple them himself, if no-one else dared do it); he taught the Thirty Tyrants who enslaved Athens, but defied them as a democratic citizen; he insulted the jurors of his trial with absurdities and condescension, but still abided by their decision. Quixotic, likely mad, and just occasionally the bravest and most steadfast man you might find in all Greece.

Born the son of a stone-mason, he began life as a hard worker, weathered and strengthened by time chipping away at marble. This was to serve him well in the Arkhidameian War, in which he became known as an unshakeable soldier, unperturbed by enemy victory, harsh campaigning conditions or the burden of his shield and spear.

On his return to Athens, he began to confront the sophists, those tutors of rhetoric and thought, who plied their trade throughout Greece. Sometimes he seemed to be one of them, loving their knowledge and skill, and sometimes he would attack their preconceptions and lazy ways of thinking. Manic turn-arounds born of madness, an appreciation of both their virtues and their faults, or a way to give a lesson to those followers he had gathered – that you should think for yourself instead of relying on another person's teachings? No-one but he knew the answer, and even that is in doubt.

In any event, his pupils still stayed, undeterred by his bizarre habits, his poverty or his ever-changing moods. Indeed, the sheer magnetism of his personality won him not only this band of followers from some of the richest families in Athens – and not a few were rumoured to share his bed, though only the young playboy Alkibiades is known to have done so – but two wives.

Sokrates became a regular fixture of the Athenian Agora, always ready to challenge a man and destroy his notions of what was true or just or right. Often, he would offer solutions, only to break them down himself as the hapless captive watched. Rarely did people come away with anything new: Sokrates' “examinations” were almost solely destructive. This hardly endeared the philosopher to the populace, and Alkibiades' habits of turning traitor on Athens (not once, but twice, having also betrayed the Spartans and Persians), which many said had been learned from his whimsical lover, added fuel to the fire.

Still, he survived as part of the democratic people and process until both Arkhidameian and Dekeleian Wars had passed, and Athens was humbled at Sparta's hands. Then the reign of the Thirty was imposed on Athens – their leader being Kritias, another well-known pupil of Sokrates. Although Athens overthrew the tyrants almost as soon as the Spartan armies left, this damaged Sokrates' reputation beyond repair. Accusations that his teachings misled the young (certainly with Kritias and Alkibiades in mind) were brought, and he was found guilty. His mischievous (or mad) proposal that the correct 'punishment' was to be fed at the city's expense for life, just as victors in the Olympic Games were, only damaged his position further. Far more voted for Sokrates to be killed (instead of the hefty fine which his pupils offered up in spite of Sokrates' protests) than had originally believed him guilty.

Sokrates met his appointed death with the courage and forbearance that had characterised his time as a soldier. For all that he changed his positions and policies constantly, for all that he had advocated to others that they subvert the mob-rule of Athens, he was not ever prepared to leave his city. He loved it, even as the chill hemlock numbed his veins and he slipped into the final sleep.

Sources
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenophon, Memorabilia, 1.2-5
    διετεθρύλητο γὰρ ὡς φαίη Σωκράτης τὸ δαιμόνιον ἑαυτῷ σημαίνειν: ὅθεν δὴ καὶ μάλιστά μοι δοκοῦσιν αὐτὸν αἰτιάσασθαι καινὰ δαιμόνια εἰσφέρειν.

Σωκράτης δ᾽ ὥσπερ ἐγίγνωσκεν, οὕτως ἔλεγε: τὸ δαιμόνιον γὰρ ἔφη σημαίνειν. καὶ πολλοῖς τῶν συνόντων προηγόρευε τὰ μὲν ποιεῖν, τὰ δὲ μὴ ποιεῖν, ὡς τοῦ δαιμονίου προσημαίνοντος: καὶ τοῖς μὲν πειθομένοις αὐτῷ συνέφερε, τοῖς δὲ μὴ πειθομένοις μετέμελε.

For it had been commonly said that Sokrates was supposedly given signs by a divine spirit: it was from this, I am certain, that there came the charge of bringing in strange new divine spirits.

But what Socrates came to know, he simply spoke: for he said the divine spirit gave him signs. And he told many of his followers what they should do and what they should not do, in accordance with the prophesying divine spirit. Those who obeyed him profited, and those who did not obey later regretted it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plato, Apology, 30e
    ἐὰν γάρ με ἀποκτείνητε, οὐ ῥᾳδίως ἄλλον τοιοῦτον εὑρήσετε, ἀτεχνῶς—εἰ καὶ γελοιότερον εἰπεῖν—προσκείμενον τῇ πόλει ὑπὸ τοῦ θεοῦ ὥσπερ ἵππῳ μεγάλῳ μὲν καὶ γενναίῳ, ὑπὸ μεγέθους δὲ νωθεστέρῳ καὶ δεομένῳ ἐγείρεσθαι ὑπὸ μύωπός τινος

For if you kill me, you will not easily find another like me, crudely – if I might speak a little less seriously – attached to the city by a god, as if to a horse who may be great and noble, but on account of his size is slothful, and needs to be roused by some gadfly.

Thoughts/Combat Strategy/Notes on Ancient Greece

Yeah, Plato actually has someone tell Sokrates that he seems to be practising magic on him, so badly has Sokrates messed around with his arguments. (Meno goes on to joke that Sokrates is like some sort of sting-ray, whose sting has numbed him – between that and the gadfly thing, I could probably have made a shapeshifter out of Sokrates too).

No, Sokrates isn't meant to be exactly practical. Perhaps he might be competitive in a Grail War which didn't have a load of monstrously powerful Heroic Spirits summoned. So … not the First, when they all resisted Zōken's expertise with binding magic and it turned into a slaughter and a failure. Not the Second, when everyone managed to turn it into the same sort of bloody mess despite getting Command Spells. Not the Third, with Angra Mainyu, dual Sabers and landmines. Not the Fourth, with three of the greatest Kings of legend summoned. And not the Fifth, with two of them still competing plus Herakles and a load more broken stuff. Hmm …
    (Seriously though, if he were ever to line up all the possible bonuses to himself and penalties to his opponent, that's not a bad combo. Shame it's never going to happen. I do pity whichever poor sod ends up as his Master).

Assuming he's in a war roughly like the ones we've seen, then he's going to have to hope for a combat-ready Master. His thaumaturgy, based on what I thought up for territory creation and that first quote from Meno, is likely to be based on debuffs, hindering movement and so forth. Might be able to bring down a Servant to a level where a powerful magus can compete with them. Alternatively, both Sokrates and his Master pile everything on the opposing Master. Sokrates' spells and Noble Phantasms then go from 'hindering' the enemy to 'totally crippling', since humans start on a much lower power-level. Then a good Master can finish off their opponent whilst Sokrates briefly tanks the enemy Servant with his high endurance. Difficult, but probably do-able for anyone who isn't outlandishly powerful.

Plato's philosophy having developed over time, and there being some debate over how much of his master's thoughts he includes at any one point, the character of Socrates does say some things which are pretty contradictory to other things we (think we) know about Sokrates, even that which Plato himself recorded. In this version, everything Plato wrote is basically true, plus a bit more.

Yes, Sokrates is sometimes said to have had two wives at once on account of a law passed to require that sort of thing for the replenishment of the male population. Just like all those terrible fanfics! Rejoice! … ?

Re: Sokrates being condemned to death by more votes than actually called him guilty; here's a rough explanation of the trial system in Athens. With witnesses and arguments having been presented, the vote is taken as to guilt/innocence. Then, each side proposes a punishment and gives their arguments on that account (the prosecution, at least, may already have suggested a punishment). The jurors give a second verdict on this matter, scoring a long or short line into wax tablets with their nails for the harsher or lesser punishment. Infamously, the courts were often made of crotchety old men who used the relatively nominal pay for jurors as a kind of pension, and the long lines were the norm. Aristophanes parodies this very amusingly in The Wasps. Sokrates did indeed suggest he ought to dine like the Olympic victors – at state expense for the rest of his life – and this was probably no small factor in getting himself killed.

The idea of Socrates' character here is rather more Platonic than Xenophanic (though I'm unashamedly stealing concepts from Xenophon and Diogenes Laertius when I feel like it). I'm already taking plenty of liberties by continually suggesting Sokrates' insanity, and Xenophon's characterisation makes Sokrates much more restrained/Lawful than Plato, whom I can at least twist in this way (I'd have to break Xenophon's account to do this sort of thing with it). Alkibiades' account in the Symposium was very influential for this sheet (about 212-222 especially), since it gives us a Sokrates who can drink and fight and fuck with the rest of them, even if he's normally aloof.

The 'Arkhidameian' and 'Dekeleian' Wars make up the 'Peloponnesian War'. The first of the two resolved very little – the greater Spartan territorial acquisitions were abandoned in order to regain the hostages that Athens had taken, which constituted a significant part of the Spartan ruling class (i.e. the ones who actually went through the whole Spartan training regime and fought for the city). The peace lasted some five years or so until the Sicilian Expedition. This second phase is called the Dekeleian War because the Spartans occupied Dekeleia (well within Athenian territory) year-round – a significant investment when you were expected to stick to a campaign season system. Still, it denied the Athenians a big part of their income from the nearby silver mines. Eventually, with Persian help (which had occasionally also been offered to Athens – the Persian regents were at the least looking to gain influence in Greece, and possibly even trying to lay the ground for an invasion), the Spartans were victorious. They instituted the reign of Thirty Tyrants in place of the democracy. Some call this the downfall of Athenian democracy, but that's pretty patent rubbish. The Tyrants didn't even make it a year before they were overthrown and Athens restored, if much poorer and weaker.

The translation for this was actually pretty easy. Why can't more Greek be written like this?
    Beast's Lair: Useful Notes
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

Democracy on Beast's Lair

Blog Entries
    I...kind of want Sokrates as my Servant. I would die horribly, but everything before that would be hilarious.

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I...kind of want Sokrates as my Servant. I would die horribly, but everything before that would be hilarious.
    Summon two Servants: Shakespeare and Sokrates. They would troll each other until the end of time. Love the profile by the way, Seika. Sokrates...

And now that reminds me of this!

He was permanently pissed.
    Last edited by Five_X; July 24th, 2012 at 11:50 PM.
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

I... kind of don't. I hate philosophical debates, especially against people who are as contrary and unpredictable as he would be.

“I believe myself to be a statue, young one. Prove to me that it is otherwise, or I shall stand in place forever, as statues are accustomed to do.”

“Er ...”

Yeah... that "Er..." guy is me. I would be screwed so bad. Got to admit it'd be hilarious watching it happen to someone else though!

One quick question though, Seika. Is it possible to summon Sokrates in his youth (which would presumably help his stats a little), like how Julius summons a younger Shuwen in Fate/Extra?

Edit: Actually, couldn't all the issues regarding Sokrates be dealt with using a Command Spell? "Use all of your Noble Phantasms and skills to the best of your ability, without sabotaging our own efforts, to ensure our victory in the Holy Grail War!"
    Last edited by G-Man; July 25th, 2012 at 01:00 AM.

Blog Entries
    Servant Plato would be a hardcore wrestler dude. Luvia would love him.
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Man View Post
    One quick question though, Seika. Is it possible to summon Sokrates in his youth (which would presumably help his stats a little), like how Julius summons a younger Shuwen in Fate/Extra?
    Mmm ... maybe? This is the 'iconic' Socrates - it feels sort of wrong to have him be young in his Heroic Spirit form, especially whilst using things like the Gadfly NP, which is named for something he supposedly said at his trial. (You're right that some of his stat problems are down to age, even if I don't think he'd be that improved by youth. Would get a rank-up to agility, at least, and just be a bit better generally, even if it's not enough to push the parameters up full ranks).

Edit: Actually, couldn't all the issues regarding Sokrates be dealt with using a Command Spell? "Use all of your Noble Phantasms and skills to the best of your ability, without sabotaging our own efforts, to ensure our victory in the Holy Grail War!"
    Waaaay too general. 'Do a tonne of stuff against your will over the course of the entire War'? Not gonna help. In fact, it's probably going to make it worse for you. Partly because it makes him more inclined to be contrary, partly because (assuming you're a big-shot magus with the prana to at least somewhat enforce the command) he's now getting penalties whenever he does disobey, which probably makes him more likely just to get killed. The 'best' case scenario for using a Command Spell like that is for nothing to happen.

And I'm glad you two seem to like him as well, Five and Daneel. Thanks.
    Last edited by Seika; July 25th, 2012 at 02:48 AM.
    Beast's Lair: Useful Notes
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

Democracy on Beast's Lair

Blog Entries
    You could always go, "Socrates, never even speak." :P

Blog Entries
    Q.サーヴァントの姿って、死ぬ直前の姿?それとも全盛期の姿?
    A.基本的に全盛期の姿です。何かの強い呪い、ないし本人の執着があるのなら死ぬ直前の姿で現れることもあ りますが。

Q. Concerning the Servants' appearance, do they take the form they had just before death, or the form they had during the prime of their lives?
    A. Generally speaking, they take the appearance they had in their prime. However, if there's some kind of strong curse, or the Servant in question has an attachment to it, then their form from just before death can also appear.

Don't know if that's an argument for or against Socrates showing up as an old dude, but I don't think I ever properly translated that and this was an excuse.