Page 526 of 680 FirstFirst ... 26426476516521524525526527528531536576626 ... LastLast
Results 10,501 to 10,520 of 13588

Thread: Fate/strange fake (Free-Range Spoilers)

Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    Baby steps. Sigma's still not used to this free will stuff. I have faith in him, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

Have we seen what Wolf's command spell looks like yet?

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Hawkeye's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Break View Post
    are MILFS and lolis the only two types of women you think exist in Ireland?
    Galleries for Stuff
    Gallery for Fate/GUDAGUDA Order
    http://imgur.com/a/4ErFN

Gallery for Learning with Manga! GO
    http://imgur.com/a/qlLc5#0

Huh, guess it is. Didn't really notice it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    That's actually just 1/3 of it

Thank you to everyone who pointed out typos. It's a huge help.
    Here's another 3k or so words that close out this book. There's a gap in the Faldeus section that has three blank pages in the print version.
    For Watcher's name, I used the same number of underscores as there are redacted characters in Japanese, although I think I have a pretty good guess at what it should be in English (especially given the illustration).
    All that's left to do is the afterword, which I'll hopefully get to tonight.

FSF 6, Bridge: Clink Clank
    Bridge

Clink Clank

“. . . Huh?”
    The next thing Ayaka knew, she was in the middle of an intersection.
    It was the intersection in front of Crystal Hill, near the hospital and the police station.
    The nearby asphalt was badly torn-up, and in the distance, she could see blockades indicating no entry as well as police cars and construction vehicles parked to hide the street from view.
    Nearby, police officers were looking around like she was. She could not see Saber, who had gone a considerable distance away to fight, but at least the orb of water floating around her was still there.

“We came back . . .?”

X X

Coalsman Special Corrections Center

“Oh . . .? So, they made it back in one piece. It’s a good thing I had the street cordoned off,” Faldeus said with a shrug, then informed his trusted assistant Aludra while he watched the footage through the surveillance cameras placed throughout the city.
    “Now, we’ve had one nerve-wracking day after another, but there are only a few more to go. We’ll have to start arranging events in earnest. . . .”
    “What first?”
    Faldeus answered her with a wry smile and a wink.

“For now, let’s see about getting some stomach medicine.”

X X

Central Intersection

“Oh! There she is! That’s her, Jack! That girl is Saber’s Master!”
    Flat was excited that he had found Ayaka.
    “Approach with caution,” wristwatch Jack admonished him. “You saw how much power Saber wields. We won’t last a second if she turns out to be hostile.”
    “That’s true, but I just can’t stop thinking about that Master. . . . I know. Jack, can you turn into a white flag?”
    “I was able to become a watch thanks to the inanimate object theory, but I’ve never heard anyone suggest that Jack the Ripper was actually a white flag.”
    “They’re out there if you look! I just know it! Human possibilities are kind of close to infinite, so you must have about five thousand true identities!”
    “That’s considerably fewer than infinite. . . .”
    That typical exchange helped Jack to feel that he and his Master really had returned to their original world.
    “But,” Jack told Flat again, all the while keeping an eye out so that he could protect Flat if a mage or Servant attacked as they approached Saber’s Master, “I doubt I’ll be much use in combat from now on. The bowman in front of the hospital stole my Noble Phantasm, and he’s not the only Heroic Spirit to show how great the difference in our capabilities is.”
    “Don’t worry. I told you, if we think of it as hard mode, we can work around the difference in stats somehow.”
    “. . . I suppose I should be grateful that you put concern for me before yourself when that Assassin questioned you about the Holy Grail.”
    “What do you mean?!” Flat exclaimed, his eyes bright. “I want to find out who Jack the Ripper really was too, you know!”
    “. . . You might just end up disappointed,” Jack continued. “There’s a good chance that some piece of trash just happened to not get caught. . . . In any case, stop idolizing a thing like me. When my identity is finally revealed, I’ll merely gain the right to atone for my crimes. Learning my true identity would be salvation for me, but not atonement. And it’s not healthy to idolize a criminal in the first place.”
    Once he was done lecturing Flat, Jack’s tone softened.
    “But the days I spend like this with you . . . What remains in your memory will be undeniably ‘me.’ If I settled the question of my identity with the power of the Holy Grail, I will most likely disappear, and that genuine Jack will stand before you. If they try to kill you, show no concern. Kill them or escape them at once and forget them as soon as you can.”
    “Jack . . .”
    “But . . . I’d be grateful if you would remember the ‘me’ who is talking to you now.”
    Jack spoke like they were his last words. He must have been certain that it would be difficult for him to win through the battles to come.
    Flat turned to him with his usual smile.
    “I’m the same way. Whatever your identity turns out to be, it’s a separate issue. As far as I’m concerned, Jack is the Jack that I’m talking to right now. If someone told you to atone for the crime of murder, I’d testify for you! I’d tell them, ‘This Jack is a genuine fake; he doesn’t need to atone for anything!’”
    “. . . Hehe . . . Ha ha ha! You’ve got that backwards in more ways than one!”
    Jack laughed out loud.
    The un-mage-like young mage and the serial killer laughed cheerfully together.
    They walked with a spring in their steps, as if they were not afraid of anything, and decided to make contact with the girl who was Saber’s Master immediately.

“Hey there, Ayaka!”
    “Huh?! Who are you?!”
    Ayaka turned to look in the direction of the sudden greeting and saw a young man in his late teens, maybe almost twenty, standing and waving to her.
    “How do you know my name . . .?”
    “Oh, so you really aren’t the same person,” the young man said, seeing Ayaka’s wary reaction. “That makes sense. I mean, your flow of magical energy is totally different! But is your name really Ayaka too?”
    “Huh . . .?”
    Ayaka stared at the young man, confused.
    “Who are you?! Do you know about me?”
    “I’m Flat. Nice to meet you. There’s another girl with the same name and face as you, and I’m friends with her. But . . . your magical energy currents. I thought so. . . .”
    The young man looked at Ayaka and started saying something to himself.
    “Wait,” Ayaka asked, nervously backing away. “Tell me! If you know about me—if you know who Ayaka Sajou is—tell me . . .!”
    Flat answered Ayaka’s strange request with a nod. He looked serious.
    “Sure. . . . I understand. Like I thought, you don’t really know what you are, do you?”
    “. . .”
    Ayaka fell silent.
    Flat took that as a yes and started to say something to comfort her.

“You see, your body—”

First came the whistle of something slicing through the air.

An instant later, just as the red that blossomed from the torso of the young man who called himself Flat tinted Ayaka’s view, came the crash of shattering asphalt.

“Huh?”
    Did the sound come from Ayaka, or from Flat?
    Flat thudded to his knees on the spot.
    “. . . Flat?”
    Jack’s voice filled the area.
    He had been wary of the mage called Ayaka.
    He had also been on the alert for attacks from Saber and other Heroic Spirits.
    Both Flat and Jack trusted the nearby police officers, their allies, but this was still their first contact with Saber.
    But Flat had been pierced by a long-range attack that did not rely on magical energy from a faction that had nothing to do with Saber.
    Jack, having lost the greater part of his strength, had no way to defend his Master from that kind of modern warfare.

“Ah . . .”
    As Flat looked at the hole torn in his gut, he was able to analyze with complete calm that he had probably been shot from diagonally upward—from the roof of a building.
    He raised his head to look.
    “It’s so bright. . . . I can’t quite see,” Flat instinctively raised a hand and muttered as if nothing was out of the ordinary. The sun, which had begun to sink westward, was in his eyes.
    “Sorry, Jack. . . . I screwed up.”
    He thought he could hear Jack shout.
    He felt him trying to turn into something incredible and do something in the direction the bullet had flown from.
    But Flat knew.
    He was probably already too late.
    Flat’s reinforced eyesight had spotted multiple snipers stationed on buildings in multiple directions.
    “. . . Sorry, Professor.”
    Then, with a faintly lonely smile, he said his last words.

“Sorry . . . everyone . . .”

A second high-pitched whistle sped in front of Ayaka, and another red flower bloomed.

It bloomed about a meter above the first one.
    In other words, where the young man who called himself Flat’s head had been.
    “Eee . . . Ah . . .”
    It was not the first time she had seen a person die before her eyes.
    But it was the first time she had seen the head of a person who had been smiling and talking to her until a few seconds before disappear.
    While Ayaka Sajou screamed, the body of Flat Escardos collapsed in the sea of red it had poured out.

X X

Somewhere

“What is it, Svin?”
    The young man questioned by the mage walking beside him looked confused and sniffed several times before speaking with a sense of unease that he could not explain.

“No. I just had a feeling like . . . a smell that was all over disappeared. . . .”

X X

Coalsman Special Corrections Center

“Confirmed destruction of target’s head. Beginning additional assault.”
    “Good. Don’t hesitate to destroy the Magic Crest as well. It belongs to the decrepit Escardos family.”
    Faldeus sipped black tea and checked his monitors as he listened to the reports over his radio.
    Additional gunfire was making the young man’s corpse lying on the asphalt dance.
    Unlike Rohngall, it was not a puppet but a real body.
    “You know, I think that people who inspire others are the most dangerous of all,” Faldeus told Aludra as he elegantly sipped his tea.
    “In this case, I’ve been wary of Flat and Saber, who have been making one new ally after another. If there’s any chance that the two of them made contact in the world inside the ward, we have to eliminate them immediately or my stomach will be the one to die.”
    “Saber’s Master as well, then?”
    “After Flat if possible . . . or so I’d hoped, but that’s no longer an option.”
    The girl who was Saber’s Master was already surrounded by a water-like dome of magical energy, and Saber, who had rushed to her side, was carrying her indoors in his arms.
    “I’m also interested in that Master’s identity. We’ll investigate her a bit before we eliminate her.”
    “Is this your ‘stomach medicine’?” Aludra asked as the gunfire on the monitors finally came to an end and the sound from the radio died down.
    “Yes, that’s exactly what it is,” Faldeus answered with a shrug and a smile.

“The best cure for stress is to eliminate each of its causes.”

Just as Faldeus was about to finish the last sip of his tea, one of the monitors in front of him went dark.
    “. . .?”
    At the same time he realized that it was the camera showing Flat Escardos’ corpse, he received a radio message from his sniping team.
    “. . . Please respond. This is Spade. . . . om . . . ard!”
    “What’s wrong? Has something . . .”
    When he tried to respond, the radio went dead.
    Then, another monitor surveilling the central intersection went dark.
    “. . .!”
    Faldeus decided that this was an attack and automatically switched to mystical communication with his teams scattered around the scene, but . . .

“What is it?! What the hell is it?!”
    “Come on, fire!” “Oh . . . It’s hopeless.” “Damn it! Why is this . . .”
    “It’s a monster!” “Just shoot it! Hurry up and kill it!”
    “No . . . Why . . .” “A mage . . .?”
    “Stop! Sto . . . Aaagaaaaaah!”
    “Help m . . . Gah . . . Bwah . . .” “It’s not hu . . . Aaah!”

The monitors continued to go dark one after another, and the screams of the sniper team continued to ring out, as if in harmony.
    Soon, a team that had been monitoring the situation from a short distance away reported in.
    “Jackal here! Faldeus! What the hell is that thing?! You never told us about this. . . . You told us Flat Escardos was a mage! What the hell is going on?!”
    “Please calm down! A monster . . .? It could be Flat’s Servant transformed. It should run out of magical energy and dissipate soon. Please hold your ground!”
    No! Something I think was a Heroic Spirit did transform, but it disappeared, just like you said! That thing’s a different . . . Shit! Oh, oh, that thing’s not human, and it’s not a mage either! What the hell is it?! Forget hematophages and Heroic Spirits! It’s an honest to God m . . . m-m . . . maaararaarabyah!”

With an ensemble performance of screams and sounds like something being folded, the line went silent.
    And it did not stop there. One after another, the surveillance systems that Faldeus had installed throughout the city were going dark.
    In just a few dozen seconds, every surveillance camera in Snowfield had stopped working.

Faced with that situation, Faldeus dropped his teacup. He did not even hear it shatter on the floor as he muttered:

“What in God’s name is going on . . .?”

X X

Somewhere in Monaco

“I see. . . . So, Flat Escardos has come to an end.”
    That man, the owner of a certain casa who had until recently been conversing with Flat over the phone, offered a silent toast to someone who had long since vanished from the world.
    “I will give my blessing to the great achievement of my old neighbor, Messara Escardos.

“However . . . if the thing you gained at the cost of a young man with a future is ‘the past,’ then I certainly don’t consider it cause for celebration.”

X X

Clink, clink, clink.
    When I realized that was the sound that accompanied the end of everything, I thought, Oh, it’s begun.

I soon realized what the clinking and clanking was.
    It was the sound of empty shell casings ejected from the sniper rifles that had put an end to Flat Escardos falling from the tops of buildings to the ground.
    It was a sound that tumbled dozens of meters down through the air to finally arrive beside the flesh that had been Flat Escardos.

I” kept waiting for a long, long time.
    The time had finally come for “me”—born for the sole purpose of “existing”—to be meaningful.
    Oh, that’s right. “I” have to move. “I” have to move on to the next phase.
    I already understand.
    I understand what I ought to accomplish.
    The greatest and final purpose bestowed on me by the Escardos family.
    The purpose for which I was born.
    Isn’t that right, Flat?

Oh, yes.
    It’s over.
    It has come to a close.
    I have fallen to ruin.
    I have arrived.
    I am complete.
    Loss was always the final piece.

Following the principles of my birth, I rebooted myself.

I recalculated the duty I had been tasked with.
    Would my path be difficult or easy?
    There was no point in speculating.
    In either case, I had no choice but to see it through.
    Nothing else would give me meaning.
    Continue to exist. Continue to exist.
    I need only become a true human and continue to exist in this world.

Yes, I promise you, Flat.
    I’ll do your share of continuing to exist in this world as well.

Even if that means . . . wiping the species defined as “humans” from the face of the earth.

X X

The Clock Tower

“Shit. . . . I still can’t get through. . . .”
    An area of the Clock Tower.
    In the preparation room of the School of Modern Magecraft, Lord El-Melloi II was muttering impatiently as he made call after call on his cell phone.
    Since their last call had abruptly cut off with the sounds of shouts and what might have been a building collapsing, he had been completely unable to get in touch with Flat.
    “Should I try calling the chief of police instead . . .? No, I don’t know his personal number. . . . I doubt I could reach him by calling the stations, but . . .”
    He laid his hands on his desk and considered for a short while, then stood up as if he had come to a decision.
    “I have no choice. . . . This really does call for—Gwah.”
    No sooner had he opened the door than his body was shoved into the room.
    On closer inspection, he saw that there was a powerful ward modeled on a white snake over the entrance.
    “. . . The obstinate weave of this spell . . . It’s one of Adashino’s wards! Damn the School of Political Science and Law. . . . They never know when to stop!”
    He looked out the window and saw that several homunculi in the service of Goredolf Musik of the School of Political Science and Law were standing watch. It was apparent that they meant to keep Lord El-Melloi II under house arrest.
    “What now? . . . Should I contact Reines or Melvin to . . .”
    El-Melloi II was pondering the issue when he realized that there was an unfamiliar noise in the room.
    It came from a small vanity case lying in a corner of the preparation room.
    The case ordinarily held his spare cigars, but there was an electronic sound coming from inside it.
    “. . .?”
    El-Melloi II suspiciously opened the case and looked even more confused when he saw what was inside.
    “What’s going on . . .? This wasn’t here a moment ago. . . .”

The thing that had appeared inside the case while he was not looking and was playing an old ringtone . . . was a cell phone colored a blue deeper than even lapis lazuli.

Next episode [Fake07]

FSF 6, Servant profile: Rider
    Class:

Rider

Master: Kuruoka Tsubaki
    True Name: Pale Rider
    Sex: The concept does not apply
    Height and Weight: Varies based on infection and diffusion (roughly equivalent to a parvovirus at minimum)
    Alignment: True neutral

Strength: E
    Endurance: A
    Agility: B
    Magical Power: A
    Luck: C
    Noble Phantasm: EX

Personal Skills:
    Infection: A
    The ability to expand its territory by infecting other organisms with parts of itself in the form of bacteria or viruses. The minds and bodies of the infected are under Pale Rider’s control, and their minds are drawn into the world created by its Noble Phantasm. Their magical energy may sometimes be absorbed as well.

Innocent World: EX
    A skill that reflects conceptions produced by human fears of “death” and “pestilence.” Because these conceptions are so varied, Pale Rider is a nondescript entity when it is first summoned and the tendencies of its very being change depending on those it draws into the “underworld” of its Noble Phantasm.

Guidance of the Underworld: EX
    The ability to grant a variety of blessings to allies that Pale Rider has drawn into the territory that has become an underworld due to its Noble Phantasm. Because Pale Rider is not itself the ruler of the underworld, this skill differs slightly from a certain deity’s “Protection of the Underworld” skill.

Class Skills:
    Anti-Magic: C
    Riding: EX

Noble Phantasms:
    Come, Dark Path, Come: Doomsday Come
    Rank: EX; Classification: Anti-World Noble Phantasm; Range: —; Maximum Targets: —
    A Noble Phantasm that creates a ward-world that becomes an artificial “underworld” with Pale Rider’s Master as its starting point, which acts as a receptacle for the “deaths” that Pale Rider bestows. Because it is strongly influenced by the Master’s conceptions, it can become an archetypal heaven or hell, but it can also become a space that acts as absolute nothingness and destroys souls. In extreme circumstances, Pale Rider can pull its target’s body into the ward as well as their mind. The ward is typically smaller in scale, but as a result of connecting to the land itself and other factors, Pale Rider is currently creating a larger ward than it would when summoned normally.

Sword, Famine, Death, Beast: Kagome Kagome
    Rank: A; Classification: Anti-Army Noble Phantasm; Range: 99; Maximum Targets: 999
    The ability to manifest and utilize the power of numerous objects that impart “death” to others within Pale Rider’s ward. In an ideal environment, it is also capable of recreating a mythical “doomsday” to the extent that magical energy will permit. It did not reach that level because Tsubaki lacks knowledge of the Apocalypse or Ragnarök and did not wish for a hell. The pronunciation of this Noble Phantasm’s name varies from Master to Master.

FSF 6, Servant profile: Watcher
    Class:

Watcher

Master: Sigma
    True Name: ___ ____, or _______
    Sex: Supposedly female, but her current Master (Sigma) is unable to confirm
    Height and Weight: Unable to manifest as an entity with mass
    Alignment: Lawful neutral

Strength: —
    Endurance: EX
    Agility: —
    Magical Power: EX
    Luck: —
    Noble Phantasm: EX

Personal Skills:
    Watchman: B
    A skill that represents the unique form of a Watcher’s contract with their Master. In this Heroic Spirit’s case, that means communicating with her Master via “shadows.”

Trials of _____: B
    A variant of a certain anti-humanity skill. Watcher is able to bestow trials on lifeforms born from wombs by altering their luck. Because it is not powerful enough to manipulate fate, this ability is primarily used on Watcher’s own Master. Watcher’s Master is extremely likely to die.

Overlook All Creation: B
    The ability to comprehend events taking place in the set area where Watcher was summoned. At rank B, it is limited to events observed via sight, hearing, and sensing magical energy.

Denizen of a Different Phase: A
    A skill that indicates invincibility except under certain specific conditions. Watcher contradicts the current state of the world and therefore can never manifest with a body like other Servants. Conversely, Watcher is able to manifest only a portion of her body for less than 0.00001 seconds only in the moment that the conditions are met and she is destroyed.

[...]

Class Skills:
    Overrun Territory : B
    Anti-Magic: EX

Noble Phantasms:
    [...]

Last edited by OtherSideofSky; May 29th, 2021 at 10:49 AM. Reason: typo

nice. so the whole volume is finally translated. thanks for your hard work.
    Last edited by Lamp; May 20th, 2021 at 02:22 PM.

JP Friend Code
    There it is.

+lies down+

Quote Originally Posted by jennajayfeather View Post
    There it is.

+lies down+
    indeed, now if only we could get some sort of concrete release date for the 7 volume.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    F
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

Thanks for the translation OSotS and congrats on finishing the volume. Cheers
    Typos?
    The bowman in front of the hospital stole my Noble Phantasm, and he’s not the only Heroic Spirit to show how great the difference in our capabilities is.”
    Perhaps an "are" instead of an "is" at the end would fit better? Not sure myself really
    “. . . I suppose I should grateful that you put concern for me before yourself when that Assassin questioned you about the Holy Grail.”
    A "be" or "feel" seems to be missing between "should grateful"

Oh shit, it finally happened. Also, I feel bad for Ayaka having to witness Flat's head getting blown off, especially since he was about to say something about her identity.
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

US Friend Code
    Thanks for all your hard work and congrats on finishing!

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle
    JP Friend Code
    "But It was the first time"
    Accidental capitalization

"In an ideal environment, it is also capable of recreating a mythical “doomsday” to the extend that magical energy will permit."
    Extent

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle
    Interesting that two of Watcher's class skills are only at rank B, implying we might see another, "stronger" Watcher-class Servant in the future

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    Quote Originally Posted by jennajayfeather View Post
    There it is.

+lies down+
    ( T_T)\(^-^ )

Also thanks for once again being a failure and dooming everyone Faldeus. He's lucky he's in a Narita work

Thanks for all your work, OSoS!

Goodbye Flat, you will be missed. Not by me though. Wonder what will happen to "monster" Flat.

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One asterism42's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Everything Faldeus interferes in he makes exponentially worse, as expected of someone who works for the American government.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandstorm77 View Post
    He's just putting the bone of his sword into other people until it explodes and lets out parts of him inside them.
    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerEmiya View Post
    Genderswaps are terrible, but I think I and other people would hate them less if Fate didn't keep ignoring actual heroines throughout history and folklore. Like, why bother turning Francis Drake into a woman when Ching Shih and Grace O'Malley exist?
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    Fate Zero is just Fate Stay Night for people who think Shirou is too girly
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    I think Alex IV can eat Goku.

Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    Everything Faldeus interferes in he makes exponentially worse, as expected of someone who works for the American government.
    Indeed. It's quite realistic. The only thing that's not is that Faldeus screwed over a white guy.

OK, here's the afterword. The translation is now caught up to the Japanese release. (Book 6 clocks in at 71,052 words, about 20k more than book 5.)
    I'll give people a couple more to catch typos or errors before I turn this one into an EPUB. Thanks again to everyone who's pointed them out already.

Also, is Narita's Jojo reference in this afterword even remotely recognizable in English? Should I add a footnote or something to explain it?

FSF 6, afterword
    Afterword

(Contains major spoilers; reading after finishing the main story is recommended)

Hello, Narita here. It’s been a while.
    So, I delivered a new book of Strange Fake for the first New Year’s of the Reiwa era.
    I somehow managed to get two books out in fiscal year 2019! I hope I’ll be able to maintain this pace. . . .

I hope that those of you who watched the end-of-year FGO special enjoyed seeing Fake in motion, hearing the beautiful music, and most of all getting to hear Saber speak . . .!
    A variety of circumstances led to the decision to produce an animated ad for the novels. As I write this afterword, it’s still in production and waiting for Saber’s voice actor, Ono Yūki, to record his lines . . . but the character designs, storyboards, music, and other information I keep getting already has me convinced that it’s going to turn out great, so I hope you get to enjoy this book before the excitement dies down!

Now, first of all, I’m sure that fans who have read the original Fate and a lot of the other spinoff series were quite surprised by part of this book.
    Yes, the “Holy Grail Debate” that was depicted in Urobuchi Gen’s Fate/Zero—The exchange I depicted in this book doesn’t exist in Zero.
    I already decided to stage an “encore performance” of the fourth Grail War in front of Saber when I started writing. Mr. Urobuchi graciously gave me permission, but I was worried that writing too much would turn into spoilers for Zero, and I was wondering how to handle the different nuances of the slightly different worldlines that all the spinoffs take place in (except for The Lord El-Melloi II Case Files, which is set in exactly the same worldline as Fate/Stay Night) when I got a heaven-sent blessing from Mr. Nasu.

Mr. Nasu: “Ryōgo, that’s because you’re trying to make all the worldlines consistent. Think about it the other way around. Think, ‘I can write a Holy Grail Debate just for the Fake worldline.’”
    Mr. Nasu spoke with the air of an English aristocrat in a horror tale full of crimson secrets.
    Me: “What?! An original conversation with the same kings, just for the Fake worldline?!”
    I wavered for a little while, and then, without thinking too hard about it, shouted:
    Me: “Done!”
    I wrote the scene in the heat of the moment, but I originally made it longer before it hit me: “Oh no! Forget Zero; this will spoil a ton of other books.” Then, I shortened it quite a bit. So, it ended up as a conversation with a hint of the King Arthur who sometimes turns into a bunny and so on, but I hope you’ll look at it as one of the elements that makes of the Fake worldline!
    There’s also a scene in which a pro-humanity character that I think long-time TYPE-MOON fans will be familiar makes an appearance. It was Mr. Nasu who showed me the guiding principle of “what will he do when he hears about Jester,” and he also supervised all of his lines . . .!
    That said, I was extremely nervous! I couldn’t help thinking, “Wait, what? Am I really allowed to write this?”
    By the way, the Stay Night and Case Files worldlines don’t have the framework of the Twenty-Seven Ancestors, so he ends up having a slightly different atmosphere . . . but I’m sure TYPE-MOON will show how he’s different when they show his casino one day! (Killer pass.)
    On the subject of the Twenty-Seven Ancestors existing or not, the events in Wales that Flat mentions played out essentially the same as in Case Files, except that one particular character might have been replaced by someone else. At this point, I’ll leave that to your imaginations!
    Now, with book six, the Holy Grail War in Snowfield has hit its second half. I’ll do my best to keep it going at this pace, so please bear with me . . .!

I’d like to thank the following:
    First, Aniplex, TYPE-MOON, and Kadokawa, for planning the animated commercial. Also, A-1 Pictures and all the animators who produced the incredible animation, Ono Yūki who narrated it, Sawano Hiroyuki who created the music, and Yosh who provided the vocals. And everyone involved with the ad as well.
    My editor Anan, whose life I made harder by letting this book get so thick. Also, everyone at the publisher and everyone at II V who adjusted their schedules for me.
    Mr. Urobuchi, who gave me permission to incorporate the “Holy Grail Debate” and all the other writers and manga artists involved with Fate.
    Miwa Kiyomune and Team Barrel Roll, who researched the backgrounds of certain Servants for me.
    Sanda Makoto, who checked the Case Files-related characters, looked up setting details, and gave me advice about a lot of things. He really helped me out this time by supervising the dialogue for El-Melloi II’s long “lecture” . . .!
    Morii Shizuki, whose comic book adaptation is on its fourth volume and who also provided more incredible illustrations for this book. (The quality of the comic really is incredible. Please check it out!)
    And most of all, Nasu Kinoko and everyone at TYPE-MOON, who created Fate and supervised my work, all the Fate/Grand Order staff, who allowed me to be involved in Enkidu’s interludes . . . and all of you who picked up this book and read it.
    Thank you very much!
    November 2019, while re-watching Kinōbi P’s “Bonnō Jihen”, Narita Ryōgo
    Last edited by OtherSideofSky; May 29th, 2021 at 10:24 AM. Reason: typo