Page 37 of 782 FirstFirst ... 27323536373839424787137537 ... LastLast

Thread: Create-a-Servant

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by food View Post
    Is Cyber Angel making a set of seven?
    I hadn't thought about it, but I'd like to, even if it's gradually. ^^; I tend to draft my Servants on the basis of a silly idea randomly popping into my head or needing someone to play in an RP. Cleo was the feverishly silly result of a NP idea over dinner earlier. I'm just happy to see people like the ideas, since I tend to gawk at neat ones while lurking the fanfic and RP sections and then poke at my text files shyly.

Quote Originally Posted by ScarletWeather
    er... We'll call him available for Extra canon then? -shot-
    Don't worry, the Throne of Heroes/humanity distinction is understandable not to be familiar with, since you just got introduced through Extra. Tamamo was awesome but I think she breaks just about every limiter of what the Fuyuki Grail was allowed to summon. ^^; I should have explained that sooner than I did.

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Ohohoho~

The NP I've made for Attila is quite interesting. I should give him a second one, though, just to make him more versatile. Maybe.
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors celsius's Avatar
    Moon Cell: "EAT IT, FUYUKI GRAIL. I GOT A FREAKING GOD."
    Fuyuki Grail: ";_;"

And then the Fuyuki Grail developed severe self esteem issues. And that's the true reason why it tried to destroy the world.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator98 View Post
    I demand an Attila the Hun servant that works. Or Theseus. Tried making them so many times but I got bored countless times. Let me see your creativity, gentlemen!
    Very well. One Theseus coming up.

(Huh. I didn't just make a Servant. I made a Servant and then wrote an AU fanfic of a sizeable part of Ancient Greek myth. Oops.)

The legend is Nasu-ish. And by that I mean that it's all vaguely based around the various legends of Theseus, but I'm dramatically exaggerating, changing, transplanting and generally screwing with it (though I rather like how much I've unified it, personally). It's also sizeable, by far the biggest section. You're welcome to ask what the actual basis is for any particular part.

True Name: Theseus
    Alignment: Lawful Good
    Class: Rider

Noble Phantasms
    :

Ἀναστροφή・He Who Makes A Bed Must Also Lie In It (B: Anti-Unit)

When Theseus is the target of a Skill or Noble Phantasm he may once (and once only) reflect its effect back on its user. Should Theseus be able to improve the attack in any way - for example, by having a greater strength than his opponent - he does so. If he fails to defeat his enemy in this way, he will, however, lose any resistances if he faces the ability again. This was the manner in which Theseus defeated his foes as a young adventurer, ever turning their cruelties back upon them.

Ἀρας・The Bloody Tide Births A Cursed Monster (A+: Anti-Fortress)

The monstrous bull of Poseidon whom Theseus might summon three times from his father. The first time he made the prayer, though, he slew his innocent son in a rage. Hippolytos' blood cursed the bull, and Theseus may only ride out its rampage atop its back, rather than control it. Its presence is fearsome, causing all lesser beasts to flee without thought, and it will summon forth great storms and waves for the sake of purest destruction until its prana is exhausted. Having summoned it once in his legend, Theseus may only bring it forth twice more.

Parameters:
    STR: A
    AGI: B
    END: B
    MGI: D
    LCK: E
    NP: A+

Class Skills:

Riding - A+: Riding skill enough to use even Phantasmal or Divine Beasts as mounts. However, the Dragons are beyond him.

Magic Resistance - E: Somewhat reduces damage. Theseus tended to fare poorly against magic in his adventures, so his resistance is minimal despite having lived in the Age of the Gods.

Personal Skills:

Charisma - B: Leadership ability. Suitable for a king, uniting the Attic demes and leading them in both war and peace.

Divinity - B: Suitability as a Divine Spirit. The rank of a demi-god, son of Poseidon.

Forgetfulness - B: Not a skill, but rather a curse placed on Theseus by Medea when he drove her away from his father's court. When the curse strikes Theseus, he forgets all positive interaction with one whom he has loved, leaving only the memories of arguments, anger and bitterness. A wretched bane that brought great misery to Theseus.

Legend: The son of Poseidon by the queen of Troezen, he whom the Athenian king Aegeus nominated to be his successor. Though reared in secret, upon completing a challenge of strength he set out for Athens to attain his inheritance. Along the way, he slew many monsters and bandits - Sinis, Skiron, Phaea the Cromyonian sow, Periphetes, Kerkyon, and Prokroustes. Arriving at the court of Aegeus, he drove off the treacherous witch Medea, and immediately offered to defeat the Minotaur, son of Minos, who was devouring the Athenian youth. He seduced the Knossan princess and sorceress, Ariadne, who aided him in his task.

However, the curses of Medea soon began to take effect. Ariadne was abandoned on the isle of Naxos, since he recalled only her betrayal of her family. Aegeus, he resented for not rearing him like a true prince, so that he ordered black sails to be raised on his ships, wanting to bring some temporary despair against the Athenian king. In this way, he gained the rulership of Athens when Aegeus threw himself into the sea. To solidify his city's power, he married the queen of the Amazons, but the curse struck again, in the middle of a discussion about the succession. Thinking that she wished to usurp him through her son, Theseus thus murdered Hippolyte, and was forced to ward off against the avenging Amazon hordes who ravaged even the lower part of Athens itself.

Seeking penance for all the blood on his hands, Theseus left Athens for his birth-place, Troezen. Still the curse hounded him. The envious goddess Aphrodite raped another of his lovers, Phaedra, driving her to suicide. Aphrodite altered the tablet that Phaedra left behind, so that it blamed Theseus' son, Hippolytos. Forgetting all the love he bore for his child, Theseus brought Poseidon's wrath against Hippolytos and killed him.

Grieving and unwilling to be responsible for the death of more family, Theseus walked down to the House of Hades and chained himself there for twenty years. Though he did not know it, such a separation broke the curse of Medea. When Herakles himself broke the chains and brought him back, Theseus could finally live as he wished. Even if he was old and not suited to war any longer, he was a great ruler. Athens was permanently united under his rule, and democracy (though it would later be perverted) finally flourished. He abdicated in favour of the people, and stood among them, as their equal. As wretched as his life was, he could finally die happy.

Designer's Notes
    :
    i) English Name・Japanese Title -> Greek Name・English Title. Because I can.
    ii) Ἀναστροφή = reversal. Not used particularly often as I mean it here, but I can't be arsed to do more research. And I now realise how much amusement could be had with this and Gáe Bolg or Fragarach. It's particularly a pun on Prokroustes' manner of death.
    iii) Ἀρας = prayers. Or, in this form, 'evils'/'ruins' if you were using certain dialects. Euripides loves that little word-play and puts the word in this form as much as possible during Hippolytos.
    iv) What, you thought Theseus ought to get skills or NPs based on the Minotaur? Bugger that!
    v) I was angling for 'Forgetfulness' to be able to dissolve magical contracts that were made in good faith whilst designing this (i.e. have something to absolutely screw over Theseus and his Master during a hypothetical Grail War). In the end I deleted that line, though.
    vi) The underworld is rarely named as such in Ancient Greek - most often it is '[the house] of Hades'.
    vii) I'm semi-serious about Theseus and democracy. Let me translate two of his lines from Euripides' Suppliant Women:
    ... οὐ γὰρ ἄρχεται
    ἑνὸς πρὸς ἀνδρός, ἀλλ᾽ ἐλευθέρα πόλις.
    δῆμος δ᾽ ἀνάσσει ...

... For it is not ruled by one man,
    but instead, this city is free.
    The people rule...

King Theseus says that!
    Beast's Lair: Useful Notes
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

Democracy on Beast's Lair

Ayakashi of Boundaries Yakumo-san's Avatar
    *bows down to Seika*

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    Very well. One Theseus coming up.

(Huh. I didn't just make a Servant. I made a Servant and then wrote an AU fanfic of a sizeable part of Ancient Greek myth. Oops.)

The legend is Nasu-ish. And by that I mean that it's all vaguely based around the various legends of Theseus, but I'm dramatically exaggerating, changing, transplanting and generally screwing with it (though I rather like how much I've unified it, personally). It's also sizeable, by far the biggest section. You're welcome to ask what the actual basis is for any particular part.
    Well, it certainly was well thought out. And I'm kind of glad that I know the A.Greek you used there.
    But I like Medea, so...the exaggeration there made me flinch and twitch a bit. XP
    Yes, excellent. Go, Lyco, my proxy.
    F/GO SUPPORT

Blog Entries
    I always thought that he abandoned the girl he saved from the minotaur on the island because he'd had his fun.

@Five_X
    Sun Wukong is however probably based on another legendary figure who was human.
    Araya, what do you seek?
    「アラヤ、何を求める」
    ------True wisdom.
    「――――真の叡智を」
    Araya, where do you seek it?
    「アラヤ、何処に求める」
    Only within myself.
    「――――ただ、己が内にのみ」
    Araya, what is your favorite color?
    「アラヤ、好きな色は?」
    Blue. No, ora-- Auuuuuuuugh!
    「青、いや、オレンジイイイイイアアアっ!」

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Apple View Post
    I always thought that he abandoned the girl he saved from the minotaur on the island because he'd had his fun.
    Hahahahahaha! You have provoked me! Now feel the wrath of my text-walls! Feel your spine crushed!

Seika's Comprehensive Guide To The Ancient Views On Ariadne

Killed by Artemis:
    Homer 'Odyssey' xi. 324-5.
    οὐδ᾽ ἀπόνητο: πάρος δέ μιν Ἄρτεμις ἔκτα
    Δίῃ ἐν ἀμφιρύτῃ Διονύσου μαρτυρίῃσιν.

But he was not left without grief - instead Artemis killed her [Ariadne]
    on Dia encircled by the sea, because of Dionysus' words.

Forced to abandon her:

Diodorus Siculus 'Library' iv. 61,
    Διόνυσον ἐπιφανέντα, καὶ διὰ τὸ κάλλος τῆς Ἀριάδνης ἀφελόμενον τοῦ Θησέως τὴν παρθένον
    Dionysos appeared and because of Ariadne's beauty, he stole the maiden from Theseus.

v. 51
    καὶ κατὰ τὸν ὕπνον ἰδὼν τὸν Διόνυσον ἀπειλοῦντα αὐτῷ, εἰ μὴ ἀπολείψει τὴν Ἀριάδνην αὐτῷ, φοβηθεὶς κατέλιπε καὶ ἐξέπλευσε.
    And [Theseus] in his sleep saw Dionysus threating him, if he did not abandon Ariadne to the god. Afraid, he left her behind and sailed away.

Pausanias 'Description of Greece'
    ix. 40. § 4,

ἀφαιρεθέντα δὲ αὐτῆς τὸν Θησέα
    Theseus was snatched from her.

x. 29. § 2

τὴν δὲ Ἀριάδνην ... ἀφείλετο Θησέα ἐπιπλεύσας Διόνυσος
    Dionysos, sailing to attack Theseus, took Ariadne away.

Plutach 'Theseus' 20.4
    τὸν γὰρ Θησέα φησὶν ὑπὸ χειμῶνος εἰς Κύπρον ἐξενεχθέντα καὶ τὴν Ἀριάδνην ἔγκυον ἔχοντα, φαύλως δὲ διακειμένην ὑπὸ τοῦ σάλου καὶ δυσφοροῦσαν, ἐκβιβάσαι μόνην, αὐτὸν δὲ τῷ πλοίῳ βοηθοῦντα πάλιν εἰς τὸ πέλαγος ἀπὸ τῆς γῆς φέρεσθαι.
    For he says that Theseus, who had been forced out of his way by a storm to Cyprus, and since Ariadne was pregnant, unhappy because of the waves' motion and impatient, let her onto the shore alone. But he, running to help the ship up onto the shore, was borne away from the land onto the sea again.

Forgot:
    Catullus 64.123
    liquerit immemori discedens pectore coniunx
    Her spouse left her, departing with a forgetful mind.

Willing to leave her:

Plutarch 'Theseus' 20.1:
    οἱ μὲν γὰρ ἀπάγξασθαί φασιν αὐτὴν ἀπολειφθεῖσαν ὑπὸ τοῦ Θησέως, οἱ δὲ εἰς Νάξον ὑπὸ ναυτῶν κομισθεῖσαν Οἰνάρῳ τῷ ἱερεῖ τοῦ Διονύσου συνοικεῖν, ἀπολειφθῆναι δὲ τοῦ Θησέως ἐρῶντος ἑτέρας
    For some say that she hung herself, having been abandoned by Theseus. Others say that she was brought to Naxos by sailors and co-habited with Oinaros, the priest of Dionysus, and that she was abandoned by Theseus who loved another woman.

Ovid 'Metamorphoses' viii. 175-6
    vela dedit comitemque suam crudelis in illo
    litore destituit.

He set sail and cruelly abandoned his companion
    on that shore.

Ovid's 'Heroides' 10 (Ariadne Theseo) 5-6
    In quo me somnusque meus male prodidit et tu,
    Per facinus somnis insidiate meis.

[The island] on which my sleep and you betrayed me evilly,
    By a crime of treachery as I slept

Hyginus 'Fabulae' 43.
    Theseus in insula Dia tempestate retentus cogitans, si Ariadnen in patriam portasset, sibi opprobrium futurum, itaque in insula Dia dormientem reliquit
    Theseus, whilst he was detained on the island of Dia by a storm, thought that if he brought Ariadne to his homeland, people would shame him, and so he left her sleeping on the island of Dia.

Catullus 64.200
    sed quali solam Theseus me mente reliquit
    But Theseus has the kind of character to leave me deserted

So, yeah, in short, no-one knows - the ancient authors said what they felt like, so do I.
    Last edited by Seika; June 1st, 2012 at 06:40 AM. Reason: Tracked down the Latin text of the Fabulae and gave my own translation
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by terraablaze View Post
    @Five_X
    Then you'd summon that guy. Not Sun Wukong. :P
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

@Five_X
    Well, strictly speaking though? I'm handing it to Five on this one, I designed Wukong with the restraints of the Moon Cell in mind, rather than the Fuyuki Grail and the Throne of Heroes. The only way I could possibly make Wukong work as a heroic spirit is if what's being summoned is, as per what a lot of Fate seems to indicate, an incarnation of the legend rather than the exact individual it's based on. Wukong's attributes are so exaggerated that any one historical figure he's based on would probably be a different heroic spirit entirely. Mind, if I could find that individual, I could probably justify giving him Nyoibo as a Phantasm or something, but... pretty sure he's lost to the sands of time, if you could summon Wukong you'd get the Monkey version.

Mind now, this makes me wonder if Wukong is even technically a 'monster'- I mean, he's not a god, but he's not really a monkey in the strictest sense either, so I've always thought of him as something like a demi-human. Course, then you have the legit point that the Throne of Heroes still can't summon immortal people, soooo :/

Either way I honestly think he's worth trying as a Servant concept somewhere, if only because he'd probably be the buffest Lancer and/or Caster of all time and he's a pretty culturally significant hero, but that "somewhere" would have to be a Grail War where the Throne of Heroes isn't being used or applying that kind of constraint.

Now off to redraft Solomon :P

Edit: FIIIIIIIIIIIVE! <<
    Last edited by ScarletWeather; January 30th, 2012 at 02:19 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ScarletWeather View Post
    Now off to redraft Solomon :P
    I think this one has been tried by multiple people, or at least discussed.
    However, I think nearly everyone struggles with the 72 Goetic Demons. ^^;
    Yes, excellent. Go, Lyco, my proxy.
    F/GO SUPPORT

Quote Originally Posted by Lycodrake View Post
    I think this one has been tried by multiple people, or at least discussed.
    However, I think nearly everyone struggles with the 72 Goetic Demons. ^^;
    I don't think I've seen one yet with a real Temple Phantasm though, which annoys me. Screw the Ring, Solomon's lasting mark on history in the context of both the books of the Bible where he appears and the physical structures he was probably responsible for is the Temple, and honestly, having done both as Phantasms? It's so much more rewarding to make the building things-stuff his major attribute.

Although I'm keeping Animal Dialogue A+++ as a skill because Solomon being a Disney princess amuses me.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors celsius's Avatar
    Could Sun Wukong even be summoned anyway, even if he were a singular entity?

I mean.

He's a monkey. I thought the Throne was HUMANZ ONLY NO STOOPID MUNKYS ALOUD.

... You know. Aside from Medusa, I guess.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Blastedspider's Avatar
    Well, technically it was never officially stated "only for humans" rule.

And we have Bucefalus as Heroic Spirit, heh.

Wow...
    Great Servants everyone! Here's one more from me; a personal hero of my childhood.

--------------------------

Class: Lancer
    True Name: Māui
    Alignment: Chaotic Good

Statistics:
    Strength: A+
    Endurance: B
    Agility: C-
    Magic: D
    Luck: E
    Noble Phantasm: A+

Class Skills:

Magic Resistance
    The protection against magical spells and effects. At this level, the spell is not cancelled but its damage is reduced somewhat. Being blessed by a primordial goddess, however, Lancer can effectively cancel any magic aligned with the element, "Fire".

Personal Skills:

Divinity
    Measure of a Servant's divine heritage. Lancer is the offspring of a mortal woman and the guardian of the underworld.

Eye of Mind (False)
    Sixth sense for avoiding danger. Lancer has a good chance of avoiding critical strikes and defending against ambushes. Placed against the more "civilized" Servants with this skill, it has more akin with primal instincts than battle awareness.

Natural Body
    Possesses a perfect body as a living being from birth. Physical attributes are all counted as one rank higher.

Noble Phantasms
    Muri-Ranga-Whenua Fishing Bone Spear
    Type: Anti-Unit
    Lancer's main weapon of choice. A crudely made fishing spear, fashioned from a gift from his ancestress: a jawbone from a magical beast. While effective against almost any type of foe, it's true power is against those with the "Monster" attribute. Against Servants with the "Monster" attribute, it power is increased.

Inaika Lasso of the Maiden
    Type: Anti-Unit
    The lasso weaved from his sister's hair. It was with this that Lancer ensnared the Sun and beat it near-death. Once activated, coiled ropes of hair shoot out and wrapped themselves around the opponent. To break free, one must have one rank higher of Strength to escape. However, the speed at which this phantasm is released can be overcome by high Agility.

Te Ika-a-Māui Island Fisher
    Type: Anti-Battlefield
    Lancer's trump card; the crystalization of his greatest feat: the creations of all the islands of Polynesia. Smearing blood across his spear, the entire weapon becomes saturated in prana. And with one mighty throw, the deadly projectile is launched towards the target(s). To completely defend against it, one needs not a high Endurance attribute, but a defense against "Creation" itself. However, this phantasm is very costly, in both mana cost and collateral damage, so Lancer disdains from using this unless there is nothing left for him to lose.

--------------------------

There we go. I would do "Appearance" but I suck at details. Questions, comments, outraged objections?

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    Then you'd summon that guy. Not Sun Wukong. :P
    Naw, I bet it's like Vlad. You summon him and he has the attributes of Sun Wukong thanks to the perversion of his myth.
    Araya, what do you seek?
    「アラヤ、何を求める」
    ------True wisdom.
    「――――真の叡智を」
    「アラヤ、何処に求める」
    Only within myself.
    「――――ただ、己が内にのみ」
    「アラヤ、好きな色は?」
    「青、いや、オレンジイイイイイアアアっ!」

Naw, I bet it's like Vlad. You summon him and he has the attributes of Sun Wukong thanks to the perversion of his myth.
    The thing is that Vlad had his own legend completely separate from the legend of Dracula because of being, y'know, the impaler king. He was a hero who defended his country. The Innocent Monster abilities on the Apocrypha version and the insanity/vampiric traits of the Extra version are specifically noted to be present because they're a legendary figure who had conflicting details added to their own legend. Sun Wukong, on the other hand, isn't really based on any one historical figure we know about. If we knew his name, he could be summoned, and he might get, like, Nyoibo as a phantasm because that's a legendary weapon that was added to his accomplishments, but he wouldn't really be Sun Wukong the shape-shifting monkey king.

ON THE OTHER HAND, if we assume he's being summoned within, say, Fate/Extra canon? Issue gone, since if the Moon Cell can summon Tamamo-No-Mae I'm pretty damn sure it can summon Sun Wukong.

Though if he were summoned by the Grail, I'd argue the reasoning is "It's because he's a demi-human" or "because his essential qualities are more human-like than animal-like". He's a monkey but he's also a trickster/troll figure in contention with the gods, and I'm not sure he's really a phantasmal beast or anything like that, and he doesn't become a divine being until the end of the Journey. Not dead though, soooo.... :/
    "AND THAT MEANT THE ROCK, THE CRAPPY AWFUL ROCK HERE WAS THE CENTER OF THE UNIVERSE, THE CONTINUA, THE WHOLE REALITY!"

-Iain M. Banks, Use of Weapons

No one ever seems to bring up the Herakles that died and should be summoned by the Grail should "logically" have no Divinity because that part was stripped away at death and went to Mt Olympus while his human part went to Tartarus.

Heroic Spirits are weird.

Edit: more imporatantly his human base ate peaches that grant immortality as well so he would technically already be divine by Chinese standards. Not sure how that would work out with him being or not being summoned. How would immortal peaches from the orchard of the Mother Queen of the West work in Nasuland?
    Araya, what do you seek?
    「アラヤ、何を求める」
    ------True wisdom.
    「――――真の叡智を」
    「アラヤ、何処に求める」
    Only within myself.
    「――――ただ、己が内にのみ」
    「アラヤ、好きな色は?」
    「青、いや、オレンジイイイイイアアアっ!」

Blog Entries
    How would immortal peaches from the orchard of the Mother Queen of the West work in Nasuland?
    (Hm, interesting. Why is this text saying one thing and what's on the screen another? Which is the original and which is the faker? Guess I'll find out when I post ... )

Er, after five minutes-worth of exposition, all of which we'll try to pick apart. Then there will be debates, demands that we look up the Japanese, and eventually the single aspect that we've overlooked becomes canon in a side material booklet. So just like normal.

More comments on Theseus, please? *puppy eyes*
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15