Thread: [Quest] Lost Singularity - Fimbulwinter

Time to burn some dread Daneel Rush's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    In Front of the Drake Residence, Concepción Hill, Valparaíso
    Day 03
    Afternoon Phase – 05-B
    Severe Cold (-19 °C/-2.2 °F)

(BGM)

She lies prone on the snow. Her cheek in contact with the dirtied white should be numb by now, but she does not quite feel cold. That…is worrisome in its own way, but Sakura Edelfelt is not in a state where she can worry about much of anything.

Her shoulder is destroyed. Everything is numb; that’s something to be grateful for.

Luvia’s going to kill me.

She was not looking forward to that explanation: “I duked it out with a Servant-level monster so that an actual Servant didn’t have to.”

The wind is picking up. That in itself is not strange in the coastal city of Valparaíso. The thing is, this wind is warm. It is not a gentle, warm breeze; it is rough, buffeting her prone body in an almost hostile manner. The snow around her is rapidly melting, becoming a muddy slush she is definitely not looking forward to either.

Sakura is rambling. Her mind is rambling. Having being wrecked by some monster is part of it, true, but it might be the sight of fucking fire (“Yes, I curse in my mind. Got a problem with that?”) pouring out of Javier’s body. It’s not some awesome aura of power like Maria’s; this is actual, very physical fire. However, it inflicts no harm on Javier or even his clothes.

Curiously enough, this is not the strangest thing.

The scorpion man stands there, watching Javier emit flames as if it were as lost as Sakura herself. Its pincers do not cut the defenseless man in halves. Its stinger does not pump his blood vessels full of deadly poison. It just…watches, emotionlessly, its head slightly tilted as if expressing a silent question. As if unsure as to whether this…burning man in front of it is something it has to attack.

Scarily enough, this is not the strangest thing.

The truly strangest thing is the fact that the flames pouring out of Javier’s body, turning him into a living pyre, jump in a rainbow-like arc uphill, the stream of flames arcing above her head without regard for the pull of gravity.

Sakura is too weak to turn her head, but she can figure it out: the flames are flying towards Maria. She does not catch any complaints from that direction, so she guesses the flames are not harming her…thus far.

“Mister…” Her voice is a croak, too quiet to be heard by anybody, and the actual name remains stuck in her throat.

However, there is a change.

Javier Lucero stands up. His motions are rigid (somewhat expected), almost robotically sequential, but flawless; there is not a single wasted movement. It is the action of standing up, optimized for minimal energy consumption and mechanical demand. It is almost mesmerizing to watch, as if she were in the presence of some ancient martial arts master out of a Wuxia tale, something Javier Lucero most definitely is not.

However, he just stands there, as if utterly unaware there is an almost ten-feet-tall scorpion man looking down at him with growing interest, tail stinger swaying to and fro like a fisherman’s lure. Is the scorpion man wary of the flames? No, it hesitated to attack even before the flames surged out.

“Mister…Javier…!” she gasps out, but her voice remains weak, and consciousness even weaker. The last sight her eyes catch before closing as a group of vaguely-man-shaped figures pouring out into the street from apparently every direction.

For good or ill, her heart, mind, and body are not in it to feel alarmed about this.

????
    Spoiler:
    (BGM)

The flame is not natural. Javier Lucero can tell as much. Looking at the flame, he sees pools of simmering magma, hears the rumbling of the earth, and feels pristine snow slipping through his fingers. The flame is ancient, primordial, older than mankind itself. It demands to be feared and revered. Tiny as it is between its hands, it feels preposterous to believe he can control it, that he can nurture and make it his.

Desire and ambition overcome reason. He wants to be special. He wants to hold something unique, something solely and exclusively his.

Like a mother welcoming her child into her embrace, he pulls the flame towards his chest, inviting it in, offering him his entire self as its fuel.

The flame does not reject him. It cannot, for it is flame, and flame can only feed, and flame can only burn.

There is no pain involved. Not here. Not yet.

The flame spreads through his vessels like new blood, through his nerves like foreign current, devours his intercellular fluid and takes its place. It feels almost natural, like this is the way things should have always been. Like his former blood was the wrong blood, like the currents sent from his brain were mistaken somehow, like the space between his cells should have always been filled with fire.

He is surrounded by jubilant whispers. The sounds lack meaning, yet he feels welcomed, acknowledged and congratulated. Perhaps deeper reflection would have revealed the condescending nature of those wordless messages, like a pet owner praising their dog after making a trick. However, Javier Lucero’s mind is not currently entirely his own.

The flame floods the brain sulci and leaks into the gaps between neurons. Whether the source of the soul is in the brain or the heart, it matters not. Tendrils of flame reach everywhere, burying like roots into the very core of his self.

Javier Lucero is transmuted, unmade, and remade anew by the flame.

What is the end result, then?

Is the bearer of the flame still Javier Lucero?

Path Progression
    Because Javier Lucero has accepted the flame and presented his self to kindle it, the Path of Regression has intensified.

Let the investiture of divinity make you anew. Claim the burden of the World as your own. Reflect on the folly of your people.

Regression Quantity E -> D
    Regression Quality E -> D
    Regression Level 1 -> 2

You gain the following Boon.
    Fire Immunity: When under the effect of Sthūla-Śarīra, you are now immune to the harmful effects of natural fire and heat; namely, all fire and heat not born of supernatural spells and effects, as long as its temperature does not reach beyond what is achievable by the planet’s natural phenomena.

You suffer the following Brands.
    Investiture of Divinity: You have reached a liminal state of divinity, not quite human, not quite Divine Spirit. You are affected by spells and effects that target mortals as if you were mortal, and by spells and effects that target Divine Spirits as if you were divine.

Minor Cosmetic Alteration: You undergo minor physical alterations that, while noticeable, in no way affect your human physiology.

Moderate Magical Diminishment: Your capability to use orthodox magecraft is diminished as your body has partially changed into a form more suitable to manifest supernatural phenomena through different principles. Too bad there’s none of that True Ether around.

You take the following Step.
    Heart of Fire: You can now cast Fireball while using Sthūla-Śarīra.

You may further select one and only one Regression Step among the following:

1. Nature’s Chosen B-: Your actions while under the effect of Sthūla-Śarīra no longer have an effect on your Stamina level. However, the chance of intensified Regression for each scene under the effect of Sthūla-Śarīra increases by a cumulative 5%.
    2. Weather Adaptation—Optimal: While Sthūla-Śarīra is active, your Warmth parameter is fixed at Optimal no matter the weather conditions. It can still be increased or decreased by other magical effects.
    3. Lifestealing Curse D: While Sthūla-Śarīra is active, upon witnessing something you consider unfair or outright evil, you can place a curse on the offending creature which steadily drains its life-force as long as it remains within sight. An ability that categorizes you as a blood-sucking species, even if you receive no sustenance from it. The curse can be resisted by specific anti-curse effects and the Magic Resistance Skill of rank greater than that of this Step. The rank of this Step, and more specifically the potency of its effect, always matches your Regression Quantity. It has no effect on Divine Spirits or those with the Divinity Skill at rank A or higher.
    4. Mana Burst (Volcano) D: This Step replaces Heart of Fire and Mana Burst (Flame). While Sthūla-Śarīra is active, you can use your magical energy to generate clouds of volcanic ash and rock-melting heat and flames. The rank of this Step, and more specifically the scope of its effect, always matches your Regression Quantity.
    5. Monstrous Strength D: While Sthūla-Śarīra is active, you can choose to temporarily gain rank-up to STR (or STR rank E, if you lack a rank in the Servant scale). The rank of this Step, and more specifically the duration of its effect, always matches your Regression Quantity.
    6. Divinized Flesh D (LOCKED—Available only through The Maid’s Heated Instruction): While Sthūla-Śarīra is active, you gain the equivalent of Magic Resistance E+—automatic rank-up against spells and other supernatural effects associated with the Fire element.

Last edited by Daneel Rush; March 12th, 2019 at 09:25 PM.

So Many Ideas, So Little Time SleepMode's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Not much help battle-wise, but an excellent utility:

2: Weather Adaptation—Optimal: While Sthūla-Śarīra is active, your Warmth parameter is fixed at Optimal no matter the weather conditions. It can still be increased or decreased by other magical effects.
    The Act of dozing off in the afternoon is a luxury indeed.
    Coffee would be nice, though.

[Collection of my Servant Sheets]
    Now Revamped!

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar

JP Friend Code
    616288630 tell/pm/whatev
    Blog Entries
    I'm sorry but when there is something called Mana Burst (Volcano) D
    I simply can't choose any of the least manly choices

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    You say that but Monstrous Strength is far more manly.

But yea, I vote for 2

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    Think of it this way

Javier can go outside shirtless with Weather Adaptation

Now Revamped!

JP Friend Code
    616288630 tell/pm/whatev
    Blog Entries
    but it has much better innuendo than the others...

on a more serious note:

Last edited by Spartacus; March 13th, 2019 at 01:27 AM.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Bird of Hermes's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Ok lets break our choices down.

1. Nature's Chosen - The ability to maintain our stamina level will certainly be helpful, however the chance to undergo intensified regression without out control isn't something I want personally. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the Become As Gods choices but I want it to be on our (my) terms.
    2. Weather Adaptation - Warmth constantly at Optimal is going to be very helpful. We won't have to worry as much about freezing to death outside of some particularly magical circumstances. It'll be no help battle wise but it'll make for really great utility. That and the idea of Javier being able to walk around shirtless with no problem is great.
    3. Lifestealing Curse - I don't really see the benefit of this. There's lots of Divinity about, we don't heal from it and we're classified as a bloodsucking species. That opens up a few weaknesses and chances to let our guard down.
    4. Mana Burst (Volcano) - Ok, this has an edge for having the coolest name. It replaces Heart of Fire which usually isn't so good but it's very powerful and makes it kinda redundant and it does have some utility as well to it and the ash and ice melting will be very useful alongside just pointing to the nearest monster and deciding we're gonna smite that thing with Divine Lava.
    5. Monstrous Strength - Eh it would be nice to have but as a whole it's not really needed in my opinion, we already have allies who have more strunkness than we do so it's probably better we focus on our niche.
    6. Divinised Flesh - This is actually the choice I would have gone for so all the more reason to seek the Maid later.

In short it's pure utility vs aggression and some utility.

I say we go with 2, Weather Adaptation. And if there is a choice later down the line we get the improved Mana Burst later.

That said, I don't want to go too far down the path of regression, I'm a greedy boy who wants divinity and magecraft. One more step should be fine but I'd be concerned if we get any further down that.

US Friend Code
    I'm going with 5, strength can always come in handy
    False face must hide what the false heart doth know.

I already think it's a shame we've hurt our future progress in magecraft.

4. Mana Burst (Volcano)

A few more upgrades like that and Javier may have a perfectly viable Steven Armstrong build.

Time to burn some dread Daneel Rush's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    In Front of the Drake Residence, Concepción Hill, Valparaíso
    Day 03
    Afternoon Phase – 06-B
    Severe Cold (-17 °C/1.4 °F)

(BGM)

The dance continues, unabated, uninterrupted. Each motion naturally follows into the next like a prepared choreography. It matters not whether the hairy monster plans its attacks or just rampages in wild frustration; she dances out of the way, her revolutions around its gangly form unimpeded.

The wind is picking up. It makes no sense. Is it her melam, generating the force that moves the air around her? The wind rises and pushes her as much as her wide, rhythmical motions displace the air around her. Her aura makes the wind dance, and the wind directs her body to dance along.

It is a flawless defense; the monster cannot lay a hand on her. But that is all; that is as far as she can go, and Maria somehow understands it is she who is lacking. The dance is—should be perfect. Even as she dances boisterously and vividly, a bitter taste settles in the back of her mouth and drops like lead to the pit of her stomach.

An enemy at this level should already be defeated. It is not defeated only because she is not Saver; merely a pretentious girl flailing around with Saver’s powers. Her attacks result in paper cuts at most, hurried and haphazard attempts at offense, for she most dedicate herself entirely to keeping the monster’s claws at bay and stopping it from whatever it is he needs to breathe deeply for.

Then the flame comes. Perhaps it, too, has been carried along by the unnatural wind. Perhaps it is her melam, subjugating the flame under its supreme authority. Maria cannot tell; she is truly ignorant of too many things.

Flame, wind, and golden radiance mix into an amalgam of power both physical and ethereal, swirling around girl and monster like a third member of their dance. Flames orange and gold wrap around the blade, and an uncomfortable jolt travels up her weapon arm. The flame carries ancient secrets, native Chilean power, and anger simmering for centuries. It is hostile, and thirsts for violence almost as much as Servant Saver.

The unpleasant scent of brimstone fills Maria’s nostrils, and her eyes naturally seek Javier Lucero. He stands still, his back turned to her, seemingly disconnected from the madness around him even as his very pores seem to exude flames.

However, these flames are not his power. They are not a human power.

The scorpion man seems to ready its stinger to attack him (What’s stopped him all this time? The flames?), but that’s when over a dozen living dead fall upon him in a desperate charge. Maria knows they will be torn apart in no time. Sakura lies unconscious halfway between Javier and herself.

The dance continues because it begs to do so. Because Maria feels like, were she to stop before this enemy is defeated, she will lose it forever. However, it has become an unacceptable standstill product of her own separation from the fearsome power offered to her. The more it stretches indefinitely, the more uncomfortable she feels. Like she’s insulting the dance by performing such a debased version of it. Maria can’t tell how much is her own discomfort and how much is Saver’s disapproval seeping out like tar from her refuge within Maria’s soul.

What is she to do?

“Jump! Take your feet off the ground for a moment, please!”

Maria does not turn around to find the source of the voice. She catches sight of the person during cycles of her revolving dance, when she happens to be able to look over the hairy creature’s shoulder and uphill.

Spoiler:
    Maria doesn’t get the chance to do or even think anything, for a new beastly howl fills the streets of the Concepción Hill.

Something else approaches rapidly. Something new. Something unknown.

Maria needs to do something. She needs to deal with this monster now.

However, events move faster than her stunted decision-making skills.

(BGM)

The World is crying. It is in agony, its innards twisted by the rapacious greed of man. Its blood vessels reshaped, its breath stolen. This World is wrong.

…?

I am the World’s instrument.

What…?

I am Gaia’s retribution. Those who ravaged the World must be castigated. I must find them. I must remove them. Then, I can heal the World, restore it to its proper shape. And then—

What is…?

The world comes into being before my eyes. Everything is wrong.

The cold wind, the slush beneath my feet, the icicles dangling under rooftops, the very scent of this frozen hell. It is all wrong.

Things not of this world clash right in front of me, insulting me with their very existence. A twisted thing that opposes this World, long banished to Imaginary Space, tears apart the bodies of dead humans reanimated by the foulest power. Rather than mere undead, walking vessels of corruption.

Away with you, the whole lot of you.

Wait…

With a swipe of the hand, the entire group is engulfed in flames, fallen upon them like a wave. The corpses care not for their destruction, lashing at the spawn of the Grand Mother even as they become ashes. The scorpion man…seems unaffected. How vexing. The options are concentrated fire or looking for weaker spots in its armored anatomy. It is also necessary to gauge the development of the kindled flame, and seek the way to further stimulate it towards its complete manifestation.

Is that…is that right…?

It has come to my attention that my flame is being forcibly pulled away from me. The flames now engulfing the loathsome beings before me is also gradually yet incessantly drained away by an unnatural wind generated by…

Maria…

…a human? Yes, it is a human, but I can perceive the presence of one similar to myself: a self-regulation agent of the World. That one is vastly mightier than me, yet it is even more limited that I am. How deplorable. Her usurpation of my flame is likely an effect of the Authority she bears.

I am…limited? I am…what am I…

The right eyebrow twitches—an unnecessary movement. There are also stray mental constructions disturbing the surface of my consciousness away from the grand purpose. Another reason to seek further intensification of the inner divine.

Is that what I…?

A deafening, bestial roar interrupts me—this sense of individuality is jarring. The rightful World feels so close, yet so far.

Its entrance is abrupt, dashing into sight from around a nearby corner. Its fiery eyes…look at nothing else but me.

“…aaaa….EEEEEEEEH…!” It howls before charging down the street straight at me.

Spoiler:
    Oh, I see. A rebellious servant needs to be shown its…no.

This creature is wrong. This creature is a mistake…!

What…?

This thing…how dare this abomination show itself before me!? Begone!

An abrupt ignition of the air around the false Cherufe swallows it in a self-perpetuating chain of explosions. I only stop myself because I still rely on oxygen to breathe in this deficient, incomplete state.

I am…I am…!

“…aaaa….EEEEEEEERRR…!”

The abomination born of the greed and depravity of men. It charges ahead, undeterred by my actions. This is because I am an incomplete flame, not yet fully manifest—

No…I am…

Zombies pour out from every direction, leaping off and running out of nearby edifications, but such weak lumps of pollution cannot stop that charging abomination. I have to—

I am—!

“JAVIER LUCERO!”

(BGM)

“…aaaa….EEEEEEEEH…!”

“What the—uwah!”

The appearance of this new, large monstrosity does not stop the dance. Whatever it is, it is beneath the dance and beneath her. The current threat persists, so the dance must continue.

Whatever rules define the transmission of ancient lore from Saver to Maria have finally granted her the name of the hairy monster: it is the “howling hound” Uridimmu, born of Tiamat at the time before Heaven and Earth; one of eleven offspring vanquished by Marduk and then turned into apotropaic beasts at his service. As a “gate guardian” figure, its howl was believed to stop intruders and armies alike, and like all spawn of Tiamat, it is poisonous beyond words. Thus far, the dance has successfully stopped it from biting her and releasing its stunning howl or poisonous breath, but she is still lacking the opening to deal a decisive, killing blow.

“Javier—guh!” Maria desperately calls out to the man, but that is a distraction to the dance, forcing her to parry instead of dodge the next blow. There is no time to dwell in the fact that the flames enveloping her sword are poured out by the man. She is breaking rhythm, and it feels like her body and soul both loathe her for it.

A monstrosity of molten rock almost nine feet tall is charging towards Javier and there’s nothing she can do about it—

“Waah!”

The dance stops.

It is broken by the shocking sounds of explosions and the survival instincts they trigger. Maria and the Uridimmu, equally startled by the abrupt, unexpected, and surprisingly powerful attack, jump away to opposite sides of the street.

Promptly, emptiness without end sends chills throughout her entire body.

That was wrong. The dance is not supposed to end in that way. Rather, she should have been able to sustain the dance, even through a lull in her fight.

Pushing the self-scathing thoughts and feelings aside, Maria looks at the source of the explosions as the hairy creature does the same.

“Um, you are Maria, right?”

Maria can’t afford to look behind her and realize her leap away from the explosions brought her to the front of the house where the unknown woman is hiding. She cannot afford reply, either.

“…aaaa….EEEEEEEERRR…!”

“The explosions did—!”

There is no time to do anything. No time for a warning nor a last-second save. While Javier’s attention is fixated on the rock monster seemingly unhampered by his explosive attack, and on the living dead futilely throwing themselves at it to slow its advance, Maria sees the real threat.

She sees the scorpion’s tail detaching itself from the last, inert, charred corpse, now truly poised to spear the man right in front of it.

“JAVIER LUCERO!”

The small cloaked figure appears out of literally nowhere, truly outside of all perception until the very last moment. She tackles Javier down on the molten slush even as the stinger pierces her—because who else could it be?—side.

“Assassin!?”

“Eh? Miss Assassin’s here too? No, wait, that’s not important now! Miss Maria, please let me help you!”

Maria wants to do something, anything, about Javier, and Assassin, and the scorpion man, and the rock monster, and the unconscious Sakura, and the unsettling flame that apparently fell out of her blade and dispersed into nothing the moment she stopped the dance.

But the Uridimmu is looking in her direction yet again.

To her relief, the woman—Fiore Forvedge, although this Maria does not know—is aware of this as well.

“Miss Maria, I’ll try to paralyze it. Take it out while it can’t move.”

There is no time to discuss the plan or come up with another one. Maria doesn’t even show sign of having acknowledged the woman’s words.

Truth is, Maria feels a little sick right now.

The sword in her right hand shakes along with the trembling spreading from her jaw down the arm. She wipes sweat off her forehead with the back of her left wrist, but her vision is still a bit cloudy. Her feet feel heavy, and the crushing yet somewhat ticklish feeling in her chest elicits a whimper vibrating in her throat.

There is none of the exhilaration of the fight against Lancer, nor the all-encompassing drive that pushed her against Rider.

But the Uridimmu charges, and therefore she has to raise her sword in front of her and meet its attack.

Maria’s Choice
    Warning! Maria is unable to use Quick for the time being.

Maria’s Next Tactical Choice:
    OR

Character Status
    Health: Good
    Sustenance: Good
    Warmth: Optimal
    Stamina: Good
    Regression Level 2
    Magic circuits active.
    Sthūla-Śarīra active.
    (BGM)

Wet.

My back is wet. Of all things, that’s what I notice first. I’m lying prone on a puddle of my own making.

“Wha…” I hear myself murmur in a daze. I feel…not unlike half a dozen bottles of beer in my system. What the…

“Hey.”

A slap. A gentle slap, but a slap nonetheless. It does its job, sharpening my thoughts.

I remember…the scorpion man, the rock giant, the flame…ah.

“I…”

Tú eres Javier Lucero.”

Spanish. Been a while since I heard the beautiful mother tongue. It comes from a harsh yet youthful voice.

I open my eyes.

…I know her.

I know this beautiful girl. But…

Her smile is crooked; the smile on one who wants to smile, but must struggle to do so.

Ya espabílate, wey.

And then she is pulled off me by the stinger buried in her right side. She disappears from my sight, but I hear the terrible sound of something crashing on and through a wall.

I’m lying prone on molten snow. The scorpion man stands mere steps away. The rock monster—no, it’s…a Cherufe? Really?—closes in quickly. Sakura…unconscious.

“Get my act together”. That’s what she said, right?

I am Javier Lucero, fuck damn it.

Javier’s Choice
    What does Javier intend to do now?
    1. Engage the scorpion man in battle.
    2. Engage the Cherufe (?) in battle.
    3. Recover Sakura and retreat to (write-in).
    4. Retreat to Maria’s position and help her against the hairy monster if necessary.
    5. Escape to (write-in).
    6. Write-In.

Regardless of what he intends to do, he won’t able to do so just by standing up and walking. Let us define Javier’s immediate tactics using the Servant battle rules as well:
    1. Buster: Full offense relying on the full power of your divine flame, with little regard for defense or actual tactics. Just go all out with the divine flame, tapping into your full Regression Quantity as offensive power.
    2. Arts: Attempt to tap into your Fire element in a more defensive fashion, prioritizing a tactical breakthrough over dealing damage—either a gap in the enemy’s defense, or an environmental advantage.
    3. Quick: Focus on rapid, incessant application of power over raw destructive potential—provides better defense than Buster, but potential to deal damage is comparatively inferior. Quick combat seeks to force the enemy to make mistakes and overextend, creating the opportunity to deal a critical hit.

Maria: Arts
    Javier: Buster, 2

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Javier: Buster - [6 - Go to Liria]
    Last edited by Rafflesiac; March 17th, 2019 at 12:56 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

JP Friend Code
    616288630 tell/pm/whatev
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post

Blog Entries
    Javier: Buster - [3 - Go to Sakura]

Oh dear oh dear oh dear
    Last edited by SleepMode; March 17th, 2019 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Sakura needs halp

Now Revamped!

Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Bird of Hermes's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Javier: Buster