Page 51 of 79 FirstFirst ... 414649505152535661 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 1565

Thread: [Quest] Lost Singularity - Fimbulwinter

Time to burn some dread Daneel Rush's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quest Master's Clarification
    No choices this time. The Night Phase consists of events you have unlocked through your choices, plus a certain conceptual material you got in an earlier scene.

The last choice remains open for voting until...well, until its consequences unfold, I guess.
    Beyond Their Sight—06

Eduranki
    Day 03
    Night Phase - 01
    Severe Cold (-38 °C/-36 °F)

(BGM)

Light most pristine.

It was power, will, authority. One last commandment; a demand set upon the world and its gods long departed. Naturally, that was never an issue—the gods are not powerless, merely absent. It takes the right prayer to draw their attention.

The Maid witnessed one such prayer.

“So, the Other Me is no more. Hmph, to think she would pull off this kind of move precisely at a time when I cannot move from here…as expected of myself, I’d say.”

“It is generally a good thing to get rid of an enemy who can work around my plans so thoroughly, but…in the current circumstances, her departure could be a liability. There are questions I hoped she would answer me.”

The mildest sigh quickly undergoes condensation, but the liquidized breath does not touch the Maid’s skin.

“No matter. I will have my student provide those answers, then.”

Turning her back to the world beyond, The Maid walks into the incomplete ziggurat’s main chamber. The golden grail remains almost hidden in the mystical aurora that spreads to the building’s walls, before radiating outwards to bathe the entirety of the frozen world. Her eyes briefly touch the unmoving figure on the wheelchair by the corner, but quickly return to the light that should damage her retinas, but of course does not.

“Avenger, I care not as to whether you will join me or betray me. However, you would do better if you make yourself absent for now.”

The armored Servant stares voicelessly for long enough to feel the distant hint of another Servant’s slowly approaching presence. Without any gesture, the man fades away into non-physicality. The Maid stands still, her figure the epitome of feminine elegance. Not a single movement can be perceived from, wholly unreactive to the footsteps placidly walking up the steps of the great ziggurat.

A man and a woman in uniform step into the grand shrine.

The Sovereign of the Black Sun strides confidently, the picture of cold, proud superiority. His eyes slowly roam over the columns and its cuneiform carvings. A hint of a smile takes shape at the sight of the floating grail wrapped in its own radiance. His eyes then pass by the unmoving Maid like she is not there at all, before they come to rest on the wheelchair by the corner.

“What is this?”

The Maid quietly follows the man with her eyes as he approaches the wheelchair, before turning her attention towards the woman accompanying him. Unlike the Sovereign, she has not taken her eyes off The Maid from the moment she set foot in the shrine. The Maid greets her with a brief tilt of the head.

“What is this?” repeats the Sovereign, his voice growing in irritation. Knowing no gentleness, he pulls the thick blankets away, unveiling the corpse beneath. A man’s body, aged beyond aged, its hunched, sitting posture held by both freezing and rigor mortis.

The Sovereign’s face travels through degrees of bafflement, disgust and unease, settling on an outrageous amalgam of them all.

“Who is…what…why are you…” The man’s strength overcome by conflicting thoughts and emotions, he stumbles backwards. It is not the fear of the dead, but the unease what comes when one’s vision of the world comes crumbling down.

“That would be you,” says The Maid, making the Sovereign jump like a ghost appeared to his left. “Well, that is not entirely accurate.”

“You…wha…who are you!?” The man’s authoritative tone fails to conceal the nervousness of one unaccustomed to handling the unexpected.

“Your creator and Master,” declares the woman in the fetish uniform. “When I made you, I made it so that I would exist outside your perception unless I willed it otherwise.”

“Wha…Mas…what in tarnation are you talking about…?”

“This man,” she continues, gesturing towards the corpse. “Sustained me with his magical energy until I claimed the Grail. I know gratitude, so I looked after him for the rest of his days. Unfortunately, unlike Rider, he was not fully compatible with the anagathic treatments, so his body weakened to match his extended lifetime. He tried to hold on to the very end, hoping to become part of the New World, but he was too old and weak to endure the Great Freezing three days ago.”

The Maid shrugs.

“It is regrettable, but he was never a very strong person. You probably do not want to hear such words spoken about yourself, but the truth is something we all must face at some point.”

The Sovereign does not notice his female companion’s curt nod. He is still coming to terms with this challenge to the foundation upon which he stands.

“You…who…are you…you can’t…I am…I am the Sovereign…the Master…”

“Programmed memories. I summoned Archer, Lancer, Caster and Assassin, and created both you and Rider. I have let you indulge yourself long enough, as a last allowance to my provider for so many years. Now you will serve me properly as my Servant. I have a student; I will have you become another catalyst for his growth.”

The man’s utterances degrade into growls and other animalistic sounds mixed with more fragmented sentences. His voice rises in volume and hostility as his eyes become injected with blood and his body even seems to swell a little.

“You…you dare…how…you…I am…!”

However, The Maid has already traced a cuneiform word of light with her finger, and the Sovereign very visibly deflates, like a rabid wild beast shot with a tranquilizer. There would be no “dealing with the Sovereign”—such a choice of words implies that the Sovereign was a problem in some way. However, The Maid has always been in control, for she sees both the past and the present, and uses them to
    divine
    calculate
    all possible futures.

“No, I will not have your Mad Enhancement triggering here. Now, be still.”

(BGM STOP)

Naturally, the Sovereign has other plans. Everybody in this grail shrine has their own plans.

“Guh…! What…are you waiting for, Hilde!? Attack!”

The tall woman in the same black uniform shared with her siblings calmly crosses her arms before a generous bust. She, who has never taken her eyes off The Maid this whole time, slowly shakes her head.

Hexensoldat I, Brünnhilde
    “No, that will not be necessary, Your Majesty.”

“What the hell’s that supposed to—”

“Guh!”

The Sovereign’s head turns towards The Maid, and his expression quickly settles into a gleeful smirk.

“Oh.”

(BGM)

“Oh, this is good. This is very good, Isolde.”

For the first time in the many decades she has existed as a Servant, The Maid’s expression has been distorted from its no-longer-unflappable calm. She grits her teeth and tenses her cheeks as she experiences the pain of the hand that pierced through her back and still roams through her insides. She can feel it all too vividly, this hand at work taking things from her.

“You…you are…outside my
    divinations
    calculations
    ,” she concludes amidst grunts of pain, struggling to turn her head to catch a glimpse of the small figure behind her.

Hexensoldat II, Isolde
    “Blame your own weakness, woman,” retorts the shorter blonde-haired woman in a quiet but clearly spiteful tone. The Sovereign laughs.

“Oh, so you can make sounds other than moaning.”

Isolde pays no attention to the sole man in the chamber, instead focusing on ravaging The Maid and taking everything from her. The Servant blinks in what probably passes as bafflement for her.

“You…you just…”

“Oh, this is only the beginning,” whispers Isolde sweetly and venomously. If it was an attempt at frightening The Maid, it has failed most utterly, for the woman eases back into her usual unflappable mien.

“Well, on that we most certainly agree.”

A moment later, The Maid is gone. There is no flashy, somewhat elegant visual effect from a transition into spiritual form.

“Hmm. She teleported. Figures,” declares Isolde, relaxing her clenched hand before moving towards the Sovereign of the Black Sun.

Scheisse.” The leader of the Fourth Reich clicks his tongue in annoyance. “Now we’ll have to sweep this whole accursed city—”

“Your Majesty,” Isolde interrupts. “I could not kill her, but I have usurped her ownership over the Servants she summoned—”

“I summoned them!” promptly roars Berserker. “Forget that woman’s babble! They are my Servants! I am nobody’s Servant! I am the transcendent king…”

His eyes inevitably fall on the corpse on the wheelchair, its very presence defying his words and beliefs, for he cannot deny the recognition in his mind whenever he looks at it. He knows exactly who that corpse once was, even if that knowledge is unacceptable.

“No, that’s not…I am the true king! I was not summoned; this is my righteous…!”

“Haa. How tiresome.”

The same hand that penetrated The Maid now stabs Berserker in exactly the same manner. This time, Isolde does not give their victim the privilege of speech. They act swiftly and mercilessly, invading, violating, usurping. The Sovereign of the Black Sun can only gasp and choke on his own breath, hands twitching as he desperately seeks to tap into his many powers. However, Isolde has already reached his Saint Graph’s very core and foundation. He never stood a chance.

It takes the good part of a minute, ending when Isolde’s hand “slips” out of Berserker’s body, the thin girl falling unconscious behind him. Neither the man nor the other woman still standing regard her.

“I take it you succeeded—!”

A merciless fist backhands Brünnhilde’s face, sending her sprawling to the ground at Berserker’s feet. The man looks down at her, stare cold and flat and demeaning; he is utter contempt.

“Nobody allowed you to speak, woman.”

After that, his attention is seemingly placed on his body: clenching and unclenching his hands, stretching his arms and exerting force on his back muscles, taking deep breaths.

“…weaker than I would prefer. I guess I can only expect this much from a magus-type Servant. It is nonetheless superior to Isolde. That one is interesting in its own way, but it is only half a man. I can only tolerate such…diminishment, for so long.”

As Berserker (?) speaks, Brünnhilde slowly wipes blood off her mouth and settles on a kneeling position: a proper subject before her king. The man eventually notices. His eyes meet the homunculus’ simmering anger with cold disdain.

“You may speak now.”

“How should I address you, now that you are in that body?”

“Hmm.” A hint of a smile. “Your Majesty will do. Unlike this delusional Berserker, I am a true sovereign.”

Brünnhilde still glowers with hostility, but does not act on her obvious loathing of this man.

“We should kill that one,” she instead proposes, gesturing at the fallen Isolde. “She is weak.”

“No, I can still make use of the half-man. Look after him.”

The pink-haired homunculus makes no effort hiding just how much she despises that order. Her mouth becomes an ugly grimace, and her sight drifts from the king to the unconscious Isolde, as if unsure, of which of the two she hates more.

“More importantly,” Berserker (?) continues, his attention now on the sole entrance to the shrine, where spiritron particles gather into two distinct forms.

“Archer, Avenger. I have claimed the position of summoner and Master.”

“…yes. Noticed as much.”

Archer of the Black Sun
    Berserker crosses his arms, silently waiting for Archer to make his position known.

“…hmph. I care only for the final result. The identity of whoever anchors me to the world is irrelevant.”

“Good,” retorts the assenting Sovereign (?) before turning to the fully-armored Servant.

“And you, Avenger. Can you point your weapon at that woman?”

Avenger grunts.

“If she cannot even hold on to her Servants, then she is worthless to me. On the other hand, you…you, I will never call ally or Master. This whole place…I should tear it apart.”

The other three become tense when Avenger abruptly turns his back to them. Archer’s right hand twitches, perhaps readying some sort of attack. While Brünnhilde remains wreathed in anger, her eyes gleam like they haven’t in a rather long time.

However, Avenger does not act on his hostility, instead walking away, seemingly intent to go down the stairs.

“Are you a fool, Avenger?” prods Berserker. “I can end your summoning this very instant. You will achieve nothing.”

“Can you, usurper?” are Avenger’s last words before fading into spiritual form. They hang in the air well past his departure, possessing of indecipherable weight that burdens the Sovereign most of all, for he is the one who first sees their bothersome implication.

A moment later, Berserker is reaching for the grail floating amidst its serene aurora. Its glow does not change once in his hand. What changes is his face, devolving into sheer rage.

“This isn’t the grail.”

The golden cup bounces mockingly off the floor after Berserker (?) flings it in aimless violence. Thence they learn that the cup has never been the source of the aurora, as they see the arcane light stream across the room to envelop it again.

“A mystic code that draws magical radiance onto itself,” Archer exposits in a bored tone.

“The temple…the temple itself converts ambient magical energy into this light…” adds Brünnhilde to the Sovereign’s (?) growing irritation.

“This is not the grail! Where is my grail!?” roars the uniformed man, demanding answers from two who cannot provide them. Archer’s expression, while unchanging, does not fail to project disapproval and disdain towards the loud outburst. Hilde has the insight to inch away from the outraged man before rising to her feet.

“That accursed, crafty goddess…!” He brings a hand to his head, as if he could physically contain his boiling anger. “No…no…tch. This Saint Graph’s Mad Enhancement will get in the way.”

Instead of last at anything and everything, he briskly walks away.

“Fine, let her have this victory, brief as it will be. I’ll crush her tomorrow.”

Dismissive as he has been of Berserker’s attitude, Archer nonetheless tenses when the other man walks past him. It is simply an imprudent idea, to be unwary of that man. Then again, the one now wearing that Saint Graph cannot be called a mere man.

“Are you sure you can allow her the time to regain her strength and strategize? That one is definitely not weak.”

Berserker scoffs.

“It matters not. Her spells cannot break me. Her plots cannot bring me down. What can she possibly do?”

The man’s smirk is the emanation of his utmost pride and confidence in himself.

“After all, she is only a woman.”

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    ...Holy crap. I loved this, but I'm more confused than ever. I mean, I followed what happened just fine, but...
    ...who are all these people?!

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    I wonder who Captain Sexism is.

also rip isolde's balls i guess
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Bird of Hermes's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Now this was some good 5 dimensional chess going on.

JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    You know, I wonder if Seigi had Command Spells for Lancer Lily. If he was awake, he might've been able to save her.
    canon finish apo vol 3

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    You know, I wonder if Seigi had Command Spells for Lancer Lily. If he was awake, he might've been able to save her.
    I kinda know the answer to this as Daneel released a couple of Fimbulwinter mats/bonus content on the Questverse server but as it's not been released here and technically not integrated into the story proper I'll have to abstain in case it's not 100% canon.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
    I kinda know the answer to this as Daneel released a couple of Fimbulwinter mats/bonus content on the Questverse server but as it's not been released here and technically not integrated into the story proper I'll have to abstain in case it's not 100% canon.
    Is this server on Discord or something?

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by warellis View Post
    Is this server on Discord or something?
    Yup

US Friend Code
    Daniel the ToC at the front page got messed up. You made Evening 12 a completely different thread. The link you want to change it to is this. http://forums.nrvnqsr.com/showthread...=1#post3007552

I've also updated the EPUB with the last three chapters.

As always the update itself was thrilling and raises a lot of questions, I'll have to join the Discord Server after to talk about them in more detail.
    Last edited by rajvir; September 2nd, 2019 at 09:41 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quest Master’s Note
    Scene unlocked by acquiring a Hero’s Proof. You will need additional materials to unlock further such scenes.
    (?????)

Darkness.

No. Not merely darkness.

The indescribable.

Matter before matter. Energy before energy. Potential before probability.

The original protean. The primordial and inchoate. Motion without movement. Pulsating without space. Longing without intellect. Being without existence.

Without a Here and a There. Without definition and without form. Exposed to the ambiguity before Creation, Maria’s mind cannot even break, because there is no such thing as a “mind”, and even if there were, there would be no distinction between one “intact” and one “broken”.

Therefore, Maria can only and simply (not) be.

At the beginning…no, before there was even a beginning, there was only It.

It was not alone, for there were no numbers, and It was not infinite, because there was no such thing as space. It was That which could be anything, but was nothing. To cease to be nothing, and therefore become something, It needed to define itself. It decided to characterize itself by the definition of its own limits, binding itself to the Principle of Perpetuation: Its own defining Urge to create other things. At that moment, the very first moment, It became the World, bounded in time and space, and It therefore ceased to be nothing and became The Everything.

At the very first moment, there was only
    Nammu
    Tiamat
    . Because she was The Everything, all other things necessarily come from Her and are made of Her. Firstborn of Her are Heaven and Earth: as primeval and inchoate as their Mother and Source. Not yet distinct from each other, Heaven and Earth were one and were Fire.

The primeval World before the separation of Heaven and Earth. The beginning revealed by Enûma Eliš. A Hadean horror where the sky and the ground were both fire. In a World in which definition is already a thing, Maria Westinghouse can exist and perceive the World as herself.

However, no life can exist in this World.

Ergo, the only perception is pain. Lungs that do not breathe air, only fire. Feet that do not touch solid ground, only molten, incandescent rock. She cannot scream, for no sound can come out of a throat incinerated and choked by lightning.

In the primeval World that not yet welcomes life, Maria Westinghouse knows death.

Darkness.

In the moment immediately after the first, I came into existence, for the possibility of the existence of Other Things was a sufficient condition for my spontaneous manifestation. I am a natural emanation born of the fact that there was no longer One Single Thing.

Eventually, other things would know definition, Heaven and Earth would be separated, and the World would be nourished by the gift of life from the primordial creatrix. A distinction would be made between The Things that Define without Being Definite Themselves, like me, and The Things Defined Not by Themselves but by Defining the Things Indefinite.

The latter came to be called “Gods”, and through their privilege, they called me and those like me “Authorities”.

(BGM)

Maria rises with a gasp, hands unburnt all the way to the bone shaking off flames and molten rock that is not there. She sighs, sobs and whines as she is wracked by phantom pain. Her knees give in and her body falls prone as quickly as it first rose.

“Idiot girl,” her voice yet not from her mouth calls out to her from some place far and above. “This is a mental landscape. Why do you even feel pain?”

“Eh!? It works like that!?”

At a distance, Maria cannot see her counterpart roll her eyes.

It takes Maria the good part of a minute to catch up to her Servant “partner”. Sitting at the top of this mental world, it is inevitable to gaze in the wonder as it spreads towards the horizon. A wall separates the luscious gardens from an ancient metropolis of tightly clustered structures—single- and two-storied buildings of baked mud-brick arranged in a jigsaw puzzle that would fill a city planner’s nightmares.

“Was this a real place?”

“Hmm.” Saver takes her sweet time to answer. “It seems to be some sort of messy combination of ancient Uruk and the capital of the Chaldeans. Well, I never cared much for the urban centers of humans. I never would have been able to reproduce the exact thing.”

Nevertheless, this is the place where they meet, for the second time even. It obviously must have some sort of meaning to the Servant.

“So, what was that about?”

Saver grunts.

“I was about to ask the same. But, if you are as ignorant as your idiot face suggests, then…”

“We have the exact same face right now, ya know…?”

“...I guess your man did something. Got his hands on some sort of conceptual material that strengthened our connection or whatever.”

“And when did he become my man…? Rather, isn’t that a little unfair to Javier—no, to both of us?”

“…right, the warlock did say he is not your mate.”

“What? No, wait, when did you have a chat with Javier? No, rather, what the hell were you two talking about!?”

“No wonder sometimes the connection feels so feeble. Though, that could also have something to do with his secondary nature.”

“Don’t ignore me—no, what’s that you just said?”

“In any case, as much as it pisses me off that you’d have to use the idiot goddess’ rituals; you should mate with him and fortify the bond of your magical power.”

“I don’t want to have my first time for such a pragmatic reason—listen to what you’re making me say!”

Just like pain is a figment of her imagination in this mindscape, so is exhaustion. Yet it is Maria who is most decidedly panting by the end of that exchange.

“So.”

It is strangely peaceful, considering the last time they met like this Maria took the beating of a lifetime.

“What exactly are you, Saver?”

“You witnessed the very moment I came into existence, albeit in my original, shapeless form, and you still do not get it. You are truly an idiot, Idiot Girl.”

“Oh, stuff it. Are you really saying you’re an Authority? What’s even the difference!?”

“Gods claims governance over Authorities and the right to wield them. I am an Authority that was given shape and intellect. It is very different. According to the ancient ways of my texture, that makes me a demon.”

It takes Maria a while to figure out her next question.

“Was that…did that happen a lot back then? Actual Divine Authorities becoming…well, people or demons or whatever?”

“Pretty much. You see, for whatever reason, the gods of my texture aimed for physical, tangible ownership of their Authorities. That’s why they first forged into the divine
    me
    powers
    . The me were Authorities turned into objects, just as invisible and intangible to the eyes of mortals, but very physical in the hands of the gods. The me were things the gods could carry, gift and even trade.”

Saver snorts.

“In a way, all the troubles started from that stupid idea. But, yeah, turning Authorities into entities that could be commanded, servants that would obey their god-owners, was the obvious next step. Many demons were made like that.”

“Demons.”

“Well, yeah. In my era, demons were creations of the gods made to enact their divine castigations. They were meant to deliver disease, misfortune and all sorts of other disasters to those mortals who earned the ire of the gods for whatever reason.” She chuckles. “I guess that makes me a weird one. I wasn’t given a shape for that kind of reason.”

“…to save the world.”

“Kuku, that is a way to put it, I guess.”

Maria watches the profile of her clone. They have the same appearance, but it would be impossible to confuse one with the other. Saver’s slightly raised head, her bestial eyes and permanent, predatory grin project an image wholly different from Maria’s.

“You are awfully chatty. Did something good happen?”

The Servant tilts her head in her direction. Maria cannot stop herself from thinking she is being wordlessly mocked somehow.

“Hmm? Well, I am enjoying myself, in a way. After all, everything is new to me. Even your idiocy.”

Saver’s is the smile of one who does not know what smiling is truly supposed to mean. It is exaggerated, and dripping with her poorly hidden wickedness.

“Credit where it’s due: you did well, idiot girl. So, how was it? The trick I taught you.”

“A trick, she says…” Maria grumbles surly. “I’m not doing that ever again.”

The Servant laughs a hyena’s cackle: loud, boisterous, and thoroughly mocking.

“Yes, yes, you probably shouldn’t,” Saver admits after she is done cackling. “That’s not a power mere humans should ever wield.”

“Then why—”

“Because,” Saver interrupts with a pointed word. “We’re stuck like this. So we gotta work with what we have. Besides, you knew the price, and you chose to pay it. What’s the expression? No backsies?” The humor disappears from her face and her tone. “Really, the sacrifice you made cannot be undone.”

Maria sighs. Her next words are spoken dismissively, as if dealing with a matter she’d rather not speak of any longer.

“I know, I know. Mom will be devastated, but I had to take out Rider right then and there. Couldn’t let him go, after he pulled off that bullshit.”

Saver is not insensitive to the shift in Maria’s mood. As if responding to the girl’s gloom, a sandstorm rises in the distant horizon, rendering the far away sky a murky canvas of sickly tones of yellow and brown. Of course, Maria is not so deluded as to expect advice or comfort from Saver, and Saver most certainly will not provide either.

“Get something straight with me, idiot girl. Just earlier you said those human allies of yours are, what was it? ‘More badass than you’, right? So why the fuck are you assuming they’re dead?”

It gets Maria to stare straight at the Servant wearing her face. This is most definitely not an attempt to make her feel better. Saver is asking an honest question based on impressions she finds contradictory, like an android mimicking her appearance and behavior while trying to figure out human emotions.

“…wow. You’re really not even remotely human, are you?”

“Are you trying to make me hurt you?”

Maria snorts, but says nothing else. Saver notices Maria is still staring and turns her face to meet her eyes. They stay like that for a while, just looking at each other, as if they were a single person and her reflection on a mirror.

“What?” Saver finally asks, having lost the battle of patience as expected. Maria shakes her head.

“Nah, no biggie. It’s just the first time I can really look at you like this. You, you’re really identical to me.”

“Well, of course.”

“But you said this is just a mindscape or whatever. Couldn’t you make yourself look like your true self in here?”

“Yeah, but I don’t feel like it.”

Somehow, Maria already expected that answer. Instead, she focuses on the body of the person seated to her right, taking in all the anatomical details that mirror her own to perfection.

“I…I’m actually pretty hot, if I may say so.”

“…what?”

“But these clothes are really no good,” Maria continues, reaching for the soft yet thick and sturdy-feeling fabric of Saver’s bodice. “It’s like a second skin, so lewd!”

“It’s made of magical energy. If you don’t like it, just change it back to the original. I couldn’t care less.”

“Eh!? I can do that!?”

“…you truly are an idiot beyond idiots, idiot girl. I would sharpen you with some more combat practice—”

“Practice!? You call what we did earlier ‘practice’!?”

“—if our body wasn’t in severe need of rest. Really, feeble human bodies are such a hassle.”

“But you’re getting real comfortable in my body, aren’t’cha!?”

Wise-Up! (Saver)
    Nemesis – A++
    A Skill suitable for Servants whose legend sets them as an adversary to a specific another. It represents a figure that opposed, challenged and harassed their destined archrival, becoming the agent of their downfall. It grants the power and willpower to maintain ceaseless pursuit of the destined opponent, which to a degree makes this Skill related to Stalking. Furthermore, this Skill modifiers the Servant’s other Skills, boosting their effects when used against the Servant’s fated rival.

In Saver’s case, it is everything she has. From the very moment she was given shape, she was nothing else but the nemesis of another. It is therefore natural that she receives the highest rank. Her rank is sufficiently high for its effects to “bleed down” to enemies who are only somewhat similar to her fated target, or even to indirect manifestations of the hated enemy’s presence. More specifically, Nemesis also activates to a limited degree against Divine Spirits and Servants with the Divinity Skill, not just ■■■■■■.
    (Additional information locked behind Saver’s True Name)
    Quest Master's Annoucement
    By the way, the Servant and NPC profiles linked in the second post of this thread have been updated. Mostly fixing typos and adding little things here and there. Most notably, new (incomplete, of course) profiles have been added for Berserker, Brünnhilde, and The Maid.
    Last edited by Daneel Rush; September 13th, 2019 at 06:30 PM.

...So, any guesses as to who Saver could be?
    (Lovely update, Daneel!)

JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    >Maid: Lawful Good

yep, that's mesopotamians for you
    canon finish apo vol 3

Blog Entries
    Pendragon Castle, B6259, Kirkby Stephen, Cumbria, England
    Eight and a half months before Fimbulwinter

(BGM)

Seigi Nomikata awakens with a gasp!

“Gasp!”

Like that.

“Oww…bloody…God!”

What follows is pain: muscular ache, thorough and extensive, what could only be the consequence of excessive physical exertion. The coldness of the breeze on his exposed, sweaty skin (wait, what?) in no way smothers the feeling like fire engulfing his muscles. It is also cold beneath him, albeit in a rather comfortable way, and he realizes he is in fact resting on a mattress of snow. However, his body rejects all attempts to move, the stiffness of his bones betraying ominous brittleness. Truly, it feels like he will shatter with a sneeze.

“Guh…ow…what the…bloody hell, why does it—”

“Cease spoiling the peace of this place with your worthless whining.”

Seigi can (almost) be forgiven for taking this long to realize that 1) he is not alone, and 2) his head rests on a girl’s lap.

The sight of that most scathing of teachers feeds flashes of remembrance to his exhausted mind: darkness inchoate, unhallowed light of false divinity, a protean giant, an incessant, unholy percussion thrumming in his brain, pulling it into madness…

He remembers. Indeed, there was a terrible battle. However, he is sure he was taken out embarrassingly quickly in the melee; that…that thing was not something an ordinary magus could face.

“What…what happened…?”

Unable to move from his bed of soil and grass and his pillow of soft thighs, Seigi can only attempt to converse with the Servant resting her small hands on his shoulders. She looks down at him with merely a hint of a smile on thin lips.

“This one had a long and thorough conversation with your big sister.”

“…then why does everything hurt so much…?”

“Because your sister does not like this one very much.” She shrugs. “She is not to be blamed; this one too would feel uncomfortable in her situation, so close to a person with the power to annihilate her. Another guess: she is also bothered because she cannot stop you from staying with me.”

“That’s…bollocks…” are the words that comes out a murmur from Seigi’s lips. “Is that also…why I’m half naked…?”

“Partly.” She says no more, leaving a much-enfeebled man with a crooked stare that remains unheeded.

“Hmm…” This is when Seigi remembers they did not come alone. “Wait, where’s Arwyn?”

“Oh, you mean our local guide, the lawgiver?”

“Lawyer.”

“He already left,” answers Lily, utterly uncaring of the man’s correction. “No need to involve unrelated people in this one’s struggle, no matter what interesting talents they may possess. It’s not like his Eyes of Ereshkigal would have been any useful in this situation.”

“What are you…eyes…?”

“Not this one’s mystery to share,” bluntly dismisses the girl. “However, this one might later share a rather interesting story he told me, about an amusing girl who literally crashed into his apartment on the eve of the New Year.”

Seigi is a little too tired and addled to think to even try to make sense of the girl.

They fall into comfortable silence for a while—one in need of rest and the other simply comfortable in the absence of worthless chatter. Morning has come, revealing the natural beauty of the so-called Pendragon Castle. They are exposed to Cumbria’s winter in the great outdoors, but the shirtless Seigi is not freezing. It is easy to guess the Servant with him is behind this phenomenon.

A tilt of the head is enough to show him the derelict Norman keep. According to legend, before this 12th-century castle, there was a structure built by Uther Pendragon, and some tales even claim that he died in this very place.

To think such a monstrosity was growing in a secret workshop beneath the ruins…no, that’s not right. It is only natural for this to be a land suitable for rituals. However, to think that beneath this beauty lurked such a monstrosity…in fact, following this Servant…

To be a magus is to walk with death.

For the longest time, Seigi Nomikata has understood that the Clock Tower is a glass case, showing “nice, ordinary” magi dedicated to learning and “safe” research. That this façade, this display meant to placate absolutely nobody but themselves—and perhaps the Holy Church—, conceals the true murkiness in which they wallow; the depravity involved in sustaining the privilege that is mystics. There are too many dark, terrible things in the world of magecraft. Seigi himself could be considered one of them; the blossom of a wicked seed his father planted and cultivated. However, the things he has seen this past year, as this strange, rude Servant’s follower…

Seigi Nomikata is not a fool. He can connect ideas and make associations. The unfathomably twisted magi they have encountered, the crises they have stopped, the monsters Lily has slain; these were not isolated incidents.

“Something bothers you.”

Of course, the girl Servant somehow sees into his mind and perceives his turmoil. They make for a most unusual of sights: an indescribably beautiful girl, no older than twelve years old, dressed in a thin cotton gown that exposes lean, milky-white thighs. A man old enough to be her father, his destroyed shirt revealing a body sculpted to physical perfection. A modern Helen and Theseus; a living demigod resting his head on the lap of the golden fairy.

“Lancer, what exactly is a ‘Human God’?”

The fairy’s lovely face is promptly marred by the slightest frown, her transcendental, divine beauty sadly diminished to the pinnacle of earthly comeliness.

“You are to learn alchemy and only alchemy from this one. Such heretical matters are none of your concern.”

“That’s bollocks—!” His attempt at rising off his lap is effortlessly subdued by E-rank Servant Strength.

“Rest,” commands the girl. Seigi does as told, but lets his voice carry his thoughts and feelings nevertheless.

“You can’t show me a thing like that and then tell me it’s none of my business.”

“Nobody told you to come,” retorts the girl. “You one-sidedly chose to follow this one here, as if expecting me to spout ancient magical secrets in the middle of my labor.”

Seigi lets his eyes wander for a moment, unable to look at the girl straight upon facing her very correct point. She indeed said she was leaving on her own, and that she did wish him to follow her. He did so because he, for whatever unfathomable reason, was worried. He could rationalize it by saying to himself that she could have tired of instructing him, and intended to lose him like the irresponsible pet owner leaving a dog on the road. However, that would have been merely that: rationalization.

“Not like you made any effort to stop me,” he jabs nonetheless.

“You are an adult, and thus free to make whatever stupid decisions you’d like.”

A low grunt reverberates in the man’s throat. He needs a few moments to organize his thoughts before the next round of arguing. Certainly, he is no relenting.

“Aedel Blytheseel called himself that,” he brings up. “In fact, you showed up right after he said that.”

He then gestures towards the nearby ruins.

“And the lunatic down here, Reuben Coeurella, also used those words. I heard as much before I passed out.”

Unflinching eyes look up at the young girl, her own expression severe beyond her apparent years.

“These people calling themselves ‘Human Gods’, and their abominable rituals…” Seigi shakes his head. “…I can’t just ignore them, Lancer.”

“Foolish child, do you think you can grasp the entire world in your hands?” retorts the Servant. “You have your own challenges to overcome; a path to greatness only you can walk. Leave these matters to those better suited to deal with them.”

Seigi has never asked Lily her age. It is clear, however, that her mental age is considerably greater than the age of her Servant body. It is this awareness of the fact he is not dealing with a feebleminded child that pushes the fake redhead to show a bit more aggressiveness.

Lancer Lily does nothing when Seigi’s hand reaches for her dress and pulls her down until her forehead is almost poked by his nose. Her eyes remain impassive while Seigi’s gleam in abject challenge.

“Do not take me for an idiot, Lancer. I have seen the patterns. Are you wary of me taking that same path if I learn what the deal is?”

Their war of stares persists for several quiet, soundless yet unspeakably intense seconds. Being a gentleman, Seigi Nomikata (believes he) has never look at a woman like this, nor has a woman looked at him like this. Neither lust nor loathing; not even in hindsight would he be able to put a word to this exchange, but it is powerful like very few things in his life. To face a being who can unmake him with the flick of a finger without flinching, to gaze into those fairy eyes that might as well be filled with lightning…

…to be stealthily poked on his chest, and be filled with what feels like liquid pain flooding his body and devouring his very capacity for thought…!

“Wha…guh…!”

“A curse of regeneration,” answers Lily the unspoken question in her mellifluous voice. “You need to rest, but we cannot stay here forever.”

Seigi can imagine the accelerated restoration of his damaged muscle fibers and bone micro-fractures. Because of course forced muscle and bone growth would hurt like hell.

“But…you…!”

Lily snorts, as if mocking him for being thoughtful.

“What kind of teacher would this one be, not willing to suffer for the sake of a student?”

In the end, he was the only one truly arguing. Her speech had not changed from “this one”, that shallow, made-up formality that always feels like she is looking down on people, which he very well knows is not a real speech habit—she uses “I” just like anybody else.

Naturally, the acceleration of natural biological processes eats away at his energy reserves, and Seigi quickly feels exhaustion take over him, his sight blurring and his body feeling heavier and longing for a long rest. Even as his awareness dulls, Seigi knows this is precisely what Lily aimed for, and hopes his sleepy glare looks at least a little intimidating.

“You’re…the worst…”

“Hmph. And this one here thought to regale you with a lullaby,” teases the girl wearing a smile a bit too impish on a face so youthful.

“Did you even have…?”

“Children? Of course not. Unlike my less responsible peers, this one dedicated this body to the gods to the end of her days.”

Her expression relaxes, perhaps softened by reminiscence or simply tired of her own pretentious speech.

“But I had many nieces and nephews. In fact, one of them became rather famous.”

One of the hands resting on his shoulders slides along the circumference of his right nipple in a way that would have gotten his blood pumping were she almost anybody else.

“You remind me of him a little. It’s probably the pecs.”

“Stop it…” comes out more like a mumble. Lily chortles.

All this time, even after Seigi let go of her garments, Lily has made no effort to pull herself away. Instead, she leans even closer, to murmur a few words into his ear in the threshold of consciousness. Thus, Seigi falls asleep with a honey sweet aroma and the delicate touch of soft lips on his ear.

Unknown Location
    Uttercold (-48 °C/-54.4°F)

(BGM)

Seigi Nomikata awakens to find himself buried alive.

“Wha…”

He is smothered beneath a heavy layer of blankets, enveloping it in warmth even as the mattress beneath him feels terribly cold.

“Wait, wait, what’s happening—”

“Don’t move!” hisses the disappointingly familiar voice of Senta before he can force himself wholly free. Partial success is enough to reveal why he ended up in there in the first place.

Cold. Painful, bone-chilling cold. Cold that seeps into his eyeballs and threatens to freeze the liquid inside. Cold that liquefies his exhalations and coats his mouth with frost.

Seigi wastes not a second and throws himself back inside the fortress of blankets. This is cold that will not forgive an inch of skin exposed.

“It’s getting colder. Fast,” says Senta through the walls of his fortress of not quite warmth. “This hotel’s pretty big and fancy, so there’re plenty of blankets and stuff.”

Adrenaline has completely pulled Seigi into full awareness. The cold is indeed terrifying, and he does not get the luxury of reminiscence. The dream that was not a dream, but a memory of the past. Lancer Lily never really explained “Human Gods” to him in the end, but he saw enough in his two or so years with her to know they are no good.

That was not Lancer Lily’s last adventure in the region, albeit the last he joined. Less than a month later, she was back in the area doing God-knows-what. It almost made him feel sorry for Cumbria. Soon after that, he became Lily’s magical energy supplier. Until this day.

Of course, it could be that Lancer one-sidedly broke the connection for whatever reason, but Seigi just knows.

“Where…where are we?” He asks, mentally encouraging himself to focus on the immediate.

“Some big, fancy hotel,” Senta says most unhelpfully. “Just out of the wrecked blocks by the coast. We’re doing what we can, but there isn’t really a way to cover all the windows, so we hafta bear with this fucking cold.”

“You seem to be doing fine.”

“Guess I was made to function at low temperatures or whatever. Dunno, would hafta ask my creator—ah, hey, this guy’s up.”

Senta’s voice, strong that it is, does not mask the soft sound of approaching footsteps.

“Oh, well, that is good.”

“Caster.” Seigi can guess he probably makes for a ridiculous sight: a disembodied, muffled voice coming from a pile of blankets atop a bed.

“Yes, I am Caster~”

“What happened? How did we…?”

“Oh, well, you only remained conscious for a few moments. We have to be most grateful for the lady Saver who carried both you and the child of spirits before surrendering to her own exhaustion.”

“Yeah, the men being knocked out and leaving the women to carry them. There’s a commentary on gender roles there, but I’m definitely not the one to make it.”

Seigi considers popping his head out to stare at Senta, but the cold quickly convinces him otherwise.

“Anyway, we found this big place and dumped you guys in separate rooms because, I mean, we’ve got rooms to spare. It’s pretty late now and, well, it’s gotten really fucking cold, and looks like it’s not stopping.”

“Oh, we can only hope the temperature rises when morning comes,” Caster adds. “We already verified there is plenty food in storage. Aside from the matter of preparation, you will not have to worry about food or water.”

“Hmm.” Obviously, the homunculus and the Servant cannot see Seigi nod. Of course, the inevitable issue has to come up.

“What happened? Back then…”

“I was hoping to ask you the same,” admits Caster. “Naturally, our priority was you two gentlemen’s wellbeing. We could not verify the source of that powerful magic, and we were wondering if you knew something about it.”

Seigi holds back the clicking of his tongue, and makes a decision on the spot. The reason he ended up in this frozen city is now dead and gone. However, he is not on his own; he is not very closely acquainted with Marco Ahrens, having only met him on the day he arrived to Valparaíso, but they are in the same “team”. Seigi is not a member of Lily’s “secret organization”, but it would be imprudent of him to blabber about her and whatever she was up to in this place—what little he understood of it, anyway.

What kind of student would he be if he did not respect his teacher’s will?

“…I understand,” declares Caster after a long period of silence. “Please remain properly covered tonight. Let us hope we can have a proper conversation tomorrow, together with the lady Saver and the child of spirits. We need to decide on a course of action.”

“Um, yeah, you better stay in there,” Senta adds. Seigi hears them both as they depart, their steps becoming fainter, then stopping, then something large is dragged on the floor for a moment or two, and then silence.

Slowly, carefully—for there are no windows and the cold wind rushes unimpeded into the bedroom—, Seigi pokes his head out of his little fort, just long enough to see the door to the room. Its hinges are completely broken, so the door merely leans flimsily against its own frame, probably placed there by Senta as a replacement for actually closing it.

A moment later, Seigi is back inside the pile of blankets. Truly, it is too cold to move around, even while wearing thick winter clothes. He needs to rest and replenish energy before he could consider activating his magic circuits to generate heat.

He wants to find Marco Ahrens and tell him that Lily is dead.

He wants to look for Sakura. That woman is a fighter; he will not believe she is dead without irrefutable proof.

He needs to figure out the connection between Lily, Liria Colhuán, and Javier Lucero. His instinct tells him this is key to figure out exactly what is going on.

And, of course, now he needs to find out by himself just where “Human Gods” fit in this whole mess.

For now, though, he must rest and make it through this cold night. No point in facing this mess while half-dead.

Enveloped in a womb of blankets, isolated from the unrestricted winds that envelop the room in bone-chilling cold, Seigi Nomikata ponders the choices that brought him to this place, and finds most needed succor in his utter lack of regrets.

“I will safeguard this present time, for as long as I can."

"The future will be your duty to create, student.”

Hotel Diego de Almagro (Staircase), Molina 76, Valparaíso
    Uttercold (-50 °C/-58°F)

(BGM)

“He didn’t talk, just like you said,” Senta points out a distance away from the hotel room in which Seigi Nomikata currently rests.

“It is no matter,” Caster replies, ever smiling behind their veil. “He does what he believes is right. I will trust him.”

“You pulled off some divination or mind-reading shit?”

“Oh? No, no, nothing like that. I merely like to think myself a good judge of people.”

“Hmph. So you’ll leave it aside till morning,” Senta wonders as they leave the third floor and the people (allies?) resting there. It is a large building; they are not done setting up simple alarm-type bounded fields.

“Well, yes. There is no point in having this discussion without at least the lady Saver. She is the one who must stop the Lady Maid, after all.”

“…right.”

“I am confident we will be safe at least until the morning. Except for this terrible cold, of course.”

It is clear to both that this hotel was of significant quality when in service. A great seven-floor building welcomes its visitors with an ample front hall. Four couches and as many big chairs offer the opportunity for respite to those in need of it. They are all covered in layers of snow and dust and glistening fragments of shattered glass. The main doors were made of the transparent material, and they were framed by panels of glass stretching along the length of the ground level’s front wall. Those windows providing a vista of comfort to those walking by have now become gaping holes allowing the terrible cold to blow inside and make Senta shudder uncontrollably.

“I thought you were built to handle this cold, Miss Senta,” teases the Servant.

“Just because it doesn’t kill me doesn’t mean I don’t feel it!”

Caster’s low-pitched giggle echoes in the empty halls. It brings a grimace to Senta’s naturally villainous face.

“Oh, whatever. More importantly, have you decided what you will do, Miss Senta? I mean, besides assembling a new set of undead servitors?”

The dark-haired girl winces, instinctively moving a step away from the Servant.

“Ugh…” She sounds truly dejected. “I thought I managed to hide that pretty well…”

“Oh, do not think lowly of yourself. I merely have access to knowledge you do not have. But I would like an answer to my question nonetheless.”

“Tch. Fuckin’ Servants…” murmurs the bespectacled girl after clicking her tongue. “I mean, what’s really the point? I don’t have anything left…well, it’s not like I had much of anything. I guess I miss my lab…?” She does not even sound sure of that. “I don’t miss my Dutchman, though. It fell like a chump.”

They wander into a long dining hall, its floor littered with broken plates and scattered cutlery.

“I failed, so there’s no reason for me to go back to the Reich. I fucking hate my sisters, and Hilde will probably kill me if she finds me. The Reich doesn’t want me, and if I do anything against them, I can be undone at the flick of a finger. Heck, I’m still wondering why I haven’t dropped dead. So, really, what’s the point?”

She shrugs, her face blatant resignation.

“Might as well just let myself be dragged around by Javier or whatever.”

Of all things, Caster chuckles again.

“You do realize that humans live their lives without any knowledge of when they could drop dead, right? However, we do not spend our time lamenting that we can die at any moment, by any reason. All that time is better spent actually living.”

A beautiful cabinet of dark wood adorns the furthest end of the dining room. The fragments of dozens of cups and glasses litter the floor in front of it.

“Miss Senta, you seem to be into self-deprecating yourself. In that case, why do you still believe the Lady Maid cares even the slightest bit about whether you live or die? Why do you still believe your existence could in any way be a threat to her plans, to such a degree that she should consider unmaking you?”

Caster speaks as they draw invisible symbols on the frames of destroyed windows.

“Is it not time to stop wondering about life as a Hexensoldat, and start living as Senta?”

The girl snorts.

“And you do realize no matter what happens I’ll die at the end of this, right? I’m an artificial human; I wasn’t made to last.”

“The more reason to just go out there and do whatever you want,” responds the smiling Servant. “If you already know you’ll die no matter what you do, then why not do whatever you want?”

Senta stares at the Servant hard at work (?), her lips trembling. She is looking for something, perhaps in Caster’s veiled expression, perhaps within herself.

“Even if I’m not a human, just a homunculus?” Senta insists. “Even if I’m probably doomed to achieve nothing, die and be forgotten?”

Caster giggles again, as Senta touches the true heart of this entire exchange. In their mind, they deliver their utmost praise to The Maid for her unparalleled creation.

“Miss Senta, when someone tries hard enough, even their failures are remembered as legend.”

Senta takes a step backward as if physically struck by the words, before turning to lean against the nearest wall. Hands in pockets, the girl lowers her head and sinks in her own thoughts. Caster leaves her be, silently working on warding the window openings and enjoying the quietness of Valparaíso’s frozen night. There are no patrolling soldiers or drones; they cannot even see walking dead. They only turn to Senta when they finish the last of the windows, and when they do so they are pleased—and utterly unsurprised—to see the uniformed girl already meeting their gaze, face adorned by that naturally wicked smile of hers.

“Caster.”

“Oh? How may I be of help?”

“Tell me everything you know ‘bout that Herald or whatever.”

Unseen to anybody else—Senta been too far across the room—, Caster’s smile widens behind their veil.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    “This one had a long and thorough conversation with your big sister.”

“…then why does everything hurt so much…?”

“Because your sister does not like this one very much.” She shrugs. “She is not to be blamed; this one too would feel uncomfortable in her situation, so close to a person with the power to annihilate her. Another guess: she is also bothered because she cannot stop you from staying with me.”

“That’s…bollocks…”
    This alone has so many implications for the future and i love it.

“But I had many nieces and nephews. In fact, one of them became rather famous.”

“You remind me of him a little. It’s probably the pecs.”
    Remembers the last QoF update was a shower scene and this is possibly because of that alone
    Last edited by Bird of Hermes; September 14th, 2019 at 04:27 AM.

Blog Entries
    A motel in Placilla, Valparaíso
    Eleven years before Fimbulwinter

(BGM)

It is a night of lust in Valparaíso. Shameless, unabashed wantonness has flooded its streets. It is neither a curse nor a miracle, but a sudden rise of demand and a city ready to supply. A manmade leviathan, an American aircraft carrier, has called port in the city, spewing almost five thousand horny sailors. A legion of testosterone short of rationality and brimming to the seams with the basest urge to fuck. For a weekend, Valparaíso and neighboring Viña del Mar have become the world capitals of prostitution.

Whores proudly walk the length of Errázuriz Avenue and neighboring streets—Cochrane, Blanco, Los Humos—like never before. Local Chilean women and transsexuals hoping for a quick buck have been joined by a small army of prostitutes from every South American country. Bars, discos and whorehouses near the port will enjoy their greatest weekend in many years. However, there are always those who are not satisfied with only the conventional supply. Away from the homeland and full of desire, there are always those looking for the chance to sin. To provide for those furtive men and women, there are those callous men and women who lurk in the shadows of the world’s oldest profession. One of those callous people is Rosa Colhuán. The product she offers is her fifteen-years-old daughter.

Liria has been selling her body for a year to this date. However, this is only the second time she is taken by more than two men at once. Bright girl that she is, Liria has already learned most of the tricks of the trade, most of all the right attitude and behavior. One year into her career, she only needs a few minutes to tell who is looking for a girlfriend experience, who is looking for a quick and easy fling, and who is looking for a passionate succubus who takes the lead. These sailors, loaded with pent-up, animal lust, merely wanted a pretty-looking outlet. Liria is almost grateful; skilled actor that she is, the girl nonetheless loathes pretending that she cares. It is much easier to be a cumdump.

The night passes in some sort of zen-like detachment. It feels almost like an out-of-body experience, in which Liria Colhuán watches herself pull off the performance that will earn her mother a good four hundred US dollars. A loud moan here, a quiet gasp there; just the right amount of sobbing and complaining to make herself look the fair maiden claimed by powerful, manly men. Her acting appeals to the basest masculine instinct, to the cave dweller carrying away his mate and the barbarian raider stealing the farmer’s wife. She receives no applause, only laughter and jeers. Even if she does not understand the English language, the gleam in their eyes, the crooked grins on their faces and the tone of their words is universal. They are selfish, crude, rough, even violent partners. They act all their pornographic fantasies upon her, all the things they cannot do with their significant others in the US of A. It is nothing unexpected; every girl who enters this business quickly learns not to expect kindness or pleasure from her customers. There are no Cinderellas in this world.

It ends earlier than Liria expected. Perhaps they tired faster than even they expected. Perhaps they were actually on a curfew, and now return to their ship bumping fists and smiling triumphant and perhaps a little bit guilty at their very illegal deed. Perhaps all the alcohol in their system messed up their ability to perform. Whatever the case, they leave the girl thoroughly used and abused, not a single thought of her own trip back home crossing their minds.

Alone in a filthy hovel, the kind of hidden, nondescript place were a minor can sell her body. This is Liria Colhuán’s life.

The stench of booze and sweat cannot hide the dirt and grime already engraved into the bedroom itself, a dark crust of filth to match the dried semen on the bedsheets. It is all too familiar already. Liria is used to this, and it is this realization that hurts the most. Nothing those men did to her can compare to the knowledge that this filth is already hers.

That the stench of alcohol, sweat and cum already clings to her clothes like it does to this room.

That it seeps into her pores and from there into her soul.

That she can smell it in her very dreams, for even those are filled of shapeless strangers fucking her even as they are devoured by flames.

That this is her life, and will be her life for the rest of her days.

Small fingers hold on to plain sheets caked in cum. A single sob escapes her lips; Liria allows herself no more. Her imprudent mind tries to soothe her with the memory of that one moment three years before; that of the boy and girl who made her feel life was worth living. She pushes them both deep into the abyss of her mind; she will not taint those memories with this filth. With her filth.

The life he protected. The life she preserved. It has become this.

Stained.

Polluted.

Tainted.

Filthy.

Filthy.

Filthy.

A second, blasphemous sob breaks the stillness of the night in quiet Placilla, far from the hustle of downtown Valparaíso and its weekend of rampant sex.

The thought of moving from that loathsome room never crosses her mind. The walk home will be long. In the remote case that she arrived home before the night is over, it would surely result in another customer, or perhaps her mother would scold her for not making a better use of her time looking for more customers herself.

No, Liria Colhuán will not move.

But she will not allow herself to cry, either.

Sleep comes quickly.

(BGM STOP)

Cold.

A drizzle falling uniformly—a shower.

It strikes Liria without mercy, pushing her from sleep into sudden awareness, forcing her eyes open and then blinded by abrupt lighting.

“Wha, wha—!?”

“Stop flailing around, girl. It is bothersome.”

The voice hits her into stillness. A voice most unexpected, warm yet so painful to hear in this of all nights.

“You are—!”

Her attempt to turn around is stopped by hands that grab the sides of her head and jerk her so she is staring straight ahead at the shower wall.

“Be still,” insists the voice.

(BGM)

It is how (Liria imagines) a schoolteacher sounds like, firm and demanding obedience. Thus, the teenager can only do as told, and allow the unexpected intruder’s ministrations. Liria is aware but uncaring of her nakedness; the water that shocked her into awareness now feels gentle and soothing to her aching muscles. She is sitting on a plastic bathroom stool. Liria then catches a faint, sickly-sweet, fruity aroma, likely coming from the shampoo the other girl is now carefully rubbing on her long hair. She wants to ask about it, but her heart is beating so fast it is hard to breathe, and an unreasonable terror has filled her—that this bizarre scene will reveal itself a dream the moment she opens her mouth again.

Liria Colhuán allows herself to be bathed. It is a battle against her own thoughts and emotions, for her hair and her skin are taught tenderness no mother and no man has ever shown her. The second most hated part of herself considers this a learning experience; a possible new service she could offer her customers. The most hated part of herself manifests as a blush in her cheeks and heat in her loins, for her caretaker leaves no corner untouched and no inch unwashed, and Liria does not find it in herself to resist these gentle attentions. However, Liria finds herself wishing to hear that voice again, to know this is truth and not sick delusion.

“You…you are Lily, right?” Her voices comes out small, the voice of the small child hoping against all hope that this year she’ll get something on the day every other child gets presents for whatever reason. Every moment of silence is a stab in her chest and a thousand voices mocking her for hoping.

“…yes, that was how this one was addressed in the volcano town.”

The silence was torture. The words are shackles. They constrict young Liria, becoming condemnations in her mind. Why else would the fairy of light show herself before a filthy—filthy!—whore? The careful, delicate attentions from the arrogant girl feel like mockery to the pride-less one.

“I’m sorry…” murmurs Liria, likely not even sure why herself. Lily certainly voices as much.

“Why do you apologize, girl? What unseen ill have you inflicted upon this one?”

“I’m sorry…”

The mortal girl shrinks herself but she cannot escape Lily gentle hands running over her skin, clearing away soap foam.

“Hmph…” murmurs the Servant, and the poor girl sobs inconsolably. Then she reminds herself that tears are not allowed and bites her lips, as if her sadness were a physical thing tries to leap out of her mouth. It makes Lily sigh.

“Why do you not cry, girl? You clearly want to, but choose to do not.”

Lily shakes her head. That is the one forbidden thing. She is Liria Colhuán, and she is not weak. Mother said it: Rosa Colhuán’s daughter is not allowed to cry. Tears make others look down on you. Nothing has ever been achieved by crying. Tears do not put cash in their pockets. Tears do not put food on the table.

The world has already crushed the Colhuán family. Tears will not make anything better.

“Tch. Stupid girl.”

Moments later, a mysterious breeze roams her body, startling her to a gasp even as she feels herself being dried without a towel. Before she can be amazed by Lily’s magecraft that makes her mother’s herbology look like a scam, the other girl lifts Liria off her feet without effort, the strength of a Servant creating the most absurd sight of a waif looking no older than fourteen princess-carrying a teenage girl looking no older than twelve.

“Wha!? Eh, wait, eh!?”

Lily kicks the bathroom door away like an overexcited groom, and then throws the other girl in a humorous parabolic arc towards the bed. Much to Liria’s chagrin, the mattress has seen better days, so she most certainly does not bounce on it.

“Oww—uwah!”

Liria’s admittedly feeble attempt at pushing herself up is stopped by the Servant who climbs on the bed and pushes her down.

“Be still,” says Lily one more time.

“Uh, um.” Liria nods, her face the perfect showing of a deer in headlights. Whatever ideas in her head about what is about to happen come to a halt when Lily’s index finger begins to dance on Liria’s exposed pelvis. The baffled girl pushes her thighs together and holds a whimper inside as she resists the ticklish feeling too close to some rather sensitive parts of her body.

“Wha-what are you doing?”

“Ending a life before it can begin.”

Words can freeze. They have temperature and they can feel like liquid nitrogen flowing down your spine.

Again, Liria’s hurried attempt at pushing herself up and off the bed ends before it even begins. A single hand on her chest pins her without effort while Lily completes her mystery. The Servant then pinches two fingers together likes she is about to pull one of Liria’s well-trimmed pubic hairs, but what comes out is a tiny mote of light; a single firefly-like point of luminescence rising from the depths of her womb.

“Is that…?” wonders the teenager while half-amazed, half-terrified. Lily, however, closes her hand tightly around the diminutive light as if she is crushing an annoying mosquito.

“Do not mind it. It will not be your problem anymore.”

Perhaps, with a few more years of wisdom and a clearer state of mind, Liria would have pondered the strange choice of words in that sentence. Instead, she lets herself settle down on the bed, the night’s activities plus a cold shower dampening her metabolism and demanding proper rest. Lily’s attentions continue, placing a pillow under her head and a blanket over her torso before moving to, of all things, give her a massage. The gloom of the night’s labors has been dispelled by a strange, unexpected visitor doing strange, unexpected things.

It is in the middle of her legs melting like goo that Liria finally realizes that it does not smell anymore. Of course, she was washed all over, but the bedroom, too, is clean. It is still a depressing hovel, but there are no traces of alcohol, the room has been ventilated and the stench of booze replaced with clean air. Liria’s hand roams the bedsheets—they are indeed the same old cheap things, but the spots of dried ejaculate and other fluids are gone.

Like some sort of helpful guardian fairy, Lily has somehow cleaned the entire room while she slept. It has become a place to sleep without nightmares, and she is indeed about to do that…

“No, wait,” she calls out feebly. “Why, why are you here?”

“To meet you, naturally. It is a stupid question. Why else would this one set foot in this deplorable house?”

Again, Liria is naturally reminded of the night’s workplace and consequently of the—filthy—way she lives.

“I, I’m sorry…”

Again, the apology falls on deaf ears. Lily provides no answer, and Liria lacks the initiative to be insistent, dominated by her own sense of inferiority before the one she believes to be some sort of legendary witch or powerful spirit. Thus, the massage continues in silence uncomfortable to the recipient. The pleasant physical feelings as her muscles are thoroughly relaxed compete with the inner turmoil that constricts her chest and fills it with that ticklish yet painful feeling.

(BGM STOP)

“Where I come from, we believed that everything had its proper place,” Lily suddenly begins. “That bad things happened because something somewhere was out of place. People like me were supposed to identify those discrepancies and elucidate the way to correct them.”

Liria is again thoroughly manhandled; turned on the old mattress until the pillow under her head has been replaced with the Servant’s exposed thighs.

“The place of a child is to trip, to hurt, and to cry without burden. To make mistakes without bearing the weight of consequence. To watch their parents and learn from them their future place in the world.”

Lily’s hands now reach for the other girl’s shoulders, gently nudging and kneading the skin and muscles beneath.

“There are few things more deplorable than to watch a child improperly educated. When we have time for a proper exchange, I will begin by teaching you the most important concept that is holism. Now, however, you would do better by resting.”

Liria’s teary eyes look up at the Servant’s serene ones. Neither is bothered or seemingly even aware of their shared nudity.

“Are you…” After biting her lip for a moment, Liria finds it in herself to ask the question.

“Are you disappointed in me?”

“By the ways of this era, you are but a child, yet unable to fulfill your role as an element of mankind. You are still some years short of becoming a disappointment.”

Comfort and consolation will ever be hard to find in this person.

“Now, let sleep carry away all worthless thoughts.”

Liria wants to resist. She wants more. She despairs that she will find herself alone in this room when she wakes up, and her life will return to the same—filthy—routine. Without friends, without purpose, without anything to call her own, not even her body.

Lily is magic. Lily is light. Liria Colhuán can only find brightness in her life through the girl so similar in appearance yet on a completely different plane of existence. Her traitorous mind thinks of begging her to never leave her side, but she would never do such a thing. Rosa Colhuán’s daughter would never do such a thing. It is easier, then, to surrender to sleep, even if what awaits her is the inevitable return to her life of poverty and humiliation. This is made even easier when Lily begins to hum; a quiet, crooning melody; a vibration soft and lulling from her chest up her throat that eventually becomes song.

No matter the culture, and no matter the era, the wishes and ways of mothers towards their children remain true and unchanged.

Liria Colhuán is gifted with a most ancient lullaby.

usa ĝanu, usa ĝanu
    Sleep come, sleep come
    .”
    usa ĝanu ki dumuĝaše
    Sleep come to my child
    ,”
    usa ĝanu kulu ki dumuĝaše
    Sleep hurry to my child
    .”
    igi liblibani u kunīb
    Put her open eyes to sleep
    .”
    igi gunani šuzu ĝarbi
    Settle your hand upon her sparkling eyes
    .”
    u eme za malilikani
    As for her murmuring tongue
    ,”
    za mālili u nagule
    Let the murmuring not unmake her sleep
    .”

?????

(BGM)

Darkness.

Liria does not open her eyes. She knows what she would see, and doing so would only make things more painful. She can feel them: beneath them, on top of her, inside her.

Them? It? She?

The Servant, Assassin, is an ancient evil. It is truly without form, but the perceptions and imaginations of humankind made it (her?) both inchoate and many-formed. It is not a violent being; not a predator, but an opportunist. If it is acting upon her, it means it has found an opening to seize.

Weakness.

Liria Colhuán has shown weakness in the fortress that is her ego, and Assassin now hopes to capitalize on it. Again, she is threatened with the loss of control over her existence. She should be used to it by now, but…

“Mmmnnn.” She shakes her head, her skin rubbing and breaking against hard chitin. Relaxing her body, surrendering to her own weight, Liria lets this tenebrous mindscape have its way with her.

Beetles bite her skin.

Maggots dig into her pores and bore tunnels in her flesh.

Snakes coil around her flesh and penetrate her.

Flies crawl into her eyes and ears and deposit their eggs in the moist warmth within.

They are all Assassin.

While Maria Westinghouse trades mental jabs with Saver, Liria Colhuán sinks in an ocean of vermin.

¿Cuándo te vas a cansar de fastidiarme, po?” she murmurs, uncaring of the sharp, stinging mass of foul creatures that immediately crawl into her mouth.

This won’t bring me down.

The insects try to feed on her flesh, but they are instead absorbed by that same flesh.

I will never curse her name.

They aim to make her their sustenance, but they instead become hers.

I will never give up. Not on this world, and not on myself.

Even as they bite off pieces of her organs, the destroyed flesh is replaced with the crushed, paste-like matter of countless flies, ants, scorpions, beetles, locusts, and other plagues.

Because she never gave up.

To lose someone close is a wound that never fully heals. It is the opening Assassin saw, a hole through which
    she
    it
    could seep in and pollute her heart. However, connection and contact are two-way streets.

You made the mistake of possessing a living person this time.

Reaching deeper into Liria’s heart also means that Liria can take more of Assassin into herself.

I know better than anybody else, just how weak and pathetic you are.

Assassin is vast and inchoate. There is no possibility for agreement or even communication. Communion only comes through this invasive intimacy and the subsequent battle between possessing demon and willful medium.

Our affinity truly couldn’t be greater. But I sure as hell would never lose to the likes of you.

Hotel Brighton, Atkinson Promenade 151-153, Valparaíso
    Uttercold (-54 °C/-65°F)

(BGM)

It is cold. It is very cold. So cold that a person with as much skin exposed as Liria Colhuán would succumb to frostbite in a few minutes. Without electricity, natural gas, coal or any other energy source, it is catastrophically cold.

Liria remains a Servant, however, so this is not an obstacle. Unnatural as it is, Valparaíso’s current weather is not “supernatural cold” in a way that would cause harm to Servants. The Herald’s fearsome howl made it such for a brief period, but that terrible blizzard relented along with the mighty hound’s will to fight.

The Villarrican rises from the bed, the slipping bedsheet revealing her nudity to the frozen world. It brings a frown to her face—whoever brought her to this hotel room has disposed of her cloak, which is unfortunately not part of her Servant’s natural attire, but an actual, concrete piece of filthy cloth she used precisely to conceal Assassin’s complete disregard for decency.

Like all buildings in the frozen city, this room’s ample window lies shattered. The view allows her to identify her location easily. She is in the Brighton; the small, pretty hotel at the very top of the cliff by Atkinson Promenade. She is not surprised; it is not trivial to carry a human-sized load in this world of eternal winter. It also means she is not far from where…

Liria shakes her head. She will not cry. This time, it has nothing to do with being Rosa Colhuán’s daughter. Also, her tears would freeze.

Something wide and flimsy moves in the corner of her eyes, pulling her attention—

¿¡Qué chucha!?

Her very loud expletively naturally draws attention. Moments later, a man and a woman rush into the room—rather, the man rushes in, while the woman wobbles into the room like a drunken penguin.

“Wha—hey!” The abrupt intrusion incites Liria to turn her back to the newcomers to hide her nakedness, but that also reveals the very reason she yelled in the first place. Indeed, Marco Ahrens and Fiore Forvedge—the woman wrapped in a ridiculous amount of layers of clothing—stare intently at the most surreal, Kafkian visage.

Ascension? (NSFW)
    “That…that is quite something,” Fiore says lamely.

“Hmm.”

“Hey! The freak show’s over!” Liria declares, covering her torso with the supernally flexible wings. They do not help much, being translucent and all. Regardless, Liria is loud and in charge.

“Fiore? That you, right?”

“Ah, yes, it’s me,” replies the older woman, voice a little muffled behind a ski mask. “Are you, um, are you alright, Liria?”

Liria cannot tell whether there is some nuance to those words. It matters not.

“Yeah. I’ll manage.”

She has to. She no longer lives solely for herself.

“Let me wrap myself a little. Then we can catch up.”

No rest for the weary. Liria Colhuán’s personal war has only begun.

Quest Master's Note: Alright, that's enough of looking at other people for now. Next time we'll move back to Javier and to you guys making choices. Important choices.
    Last edited by Daneel Rush; September 19th, 2019 at 09:52 AM.

Noooooooo... Give me the delicious, delicious character-building...

JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    I picked the wrong time to eat dinner.
    canon finish apo vol 3

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    Wouldn't mind seeing more of this.

Also let us hope we can make the choices that allow for a good ending, or one that doesn't have us and other important characters die.

Blog Entries
    Outskirts of Villarrica (?)
    Sixteen years before Fimbulwinter

(BGM)

“This is my spot.”

Incredibly lame words. The pettiness of a child whose secret has been violated.

They are alone, immersed in the pristine wilderness that surrounds the town of Villarrica. Beneath the shadow of an active volcano, in a region dotted with forests and lakes, many of them (supposedly) protected by the nation’s laws, there remain many truly natural sweet spots like this hidden stream. These are the lands of the Mapuche. Some would say, “were the lands”, but some bonds cannot be broken neither by money nor by law.

The boy, ten years of age, challenges the intruder in his “secret spot”. Perhaps not unexpectedly, the intruder is extremely unimpressed. The intruder is also naked, bathing a slender body with the clearest mountain water. It is only natural for one uncaring of her own nudity to care even less for the complaints of a child.

“Your life is not your own, child. Do not pretend to claim ownership of the World.”

It is the boy, clad in a dark t-shirt and shorts despite the cool and windy weather, who does not seem impressed at this point.

“Why do you talk like that? You’re being weird.” He crosses his arms petulantly. “And you’re a child too.”

The girl answers not. She merely stares, letting her arms rest by her sides. The boy, ignorant that he is, can still feel something from that stare. He does not like it. Sometimes, very rarely, when his classmates think he is not aware, they look at him in a similar way.

Like he is not even there. Like it would be better if he were not there. Like they are better than he is.

Like he is nothing.

Maybe that is why he likes Diego the most. Diego looks at everybody like that, not just him, and he certainly does not hide it. He idly wonders who would win in a staring contest, Diego or this girl. Well, she is older, so she’d probably win.

In the end, the girl offers no reply. Instead, she moves to leave the waters. He remains as uncaring of the girl’s nudity as she is of his presence. Thus, the boy watches mutely as the girl reaches the grass to sprawl herself on it as if to maximize her exposure. Really, he just stares at her outstretched like a starfish for several seconds of silence until he realizes that, indeed, she is not moving. The corner of his mouth bends down, but he honestly cannot blame her: he has come to his “secret spot” to do the very same.

A swim and a nap…and then oversleep and get a scolding for arriving home after sundown. As if he could get lost in these forests, his home away from home.

“Ah, whatever,” he mutters with a shrug as he makes to take off his t-shirt. If the girl’s just going to ignore him, then he can do just that as well. She sure is not gonna get in the way of his “me time”.

Moments later, he too is in his birthday suit, splashing and fooling around in the cold but gentle stream. It is not recklessness: he knows how deep it is in some parts, and he knows the times of the year he cannot swim in it because the rains feed the stream and make it flow dangerously fast. He is also the class’ fastest swimmer (after Diego), so he fears not these waters.

Of course, there is only so much playing a child on his own can do in a slow stream. The initial outburst quickly ends in the boy floating in calm and quiet. He does not admire the greenery that surrounds him. He thinks little of the coolness that permeates his body. He is merely alone, and at peace.

His parents don’t have time for him on weekdays. School…is fun, but there is always this…something. A point or points in time in which he does not belong. A moment in which cliques spontaneously form and exclude him as if he had never been part of that class. A moment in which the school as a whole seems to whisper “we are done with you for today, come back tomorrow”.

Therefore, he is at this place, and he has learned to love moments like these, alone and at peace. There are no murmurs, real or imagined. If anything, he has to strive not to fall asleep, for the sound of flowing water is like a lullaby, and the water’s touch is comforting like the embrace of a mother, and, if he really strains his ears, he could convince himself the wind on the leaves whispers “be at ease, for we are always watching over you.”

Eventually, he steps out of the water for his nap. The naked boy glances at the naked girl before settling on a spot close to her, but not too close. The grass is soft and never prickly, and the ground itself seems to sink to welcome his body. His bed at home cannot compare. He does not fear catching a cold from napping white wet and in the nude; it’s never happened before. If anything, it feels like clothes simply do not belong in this place.

Calling this place—no, the Villarrican outdoors—his second home is not a metaphor. The feeling of safety, of everything being all right, of belonging; what else could he call it? Were he a couple of years older, he would wonder if it is his fraction of Mapuche blood or something.

Minutes pass. The boy cannot sleep. His mind is a little too aware of the girl, after all. It’s not like he wants her to leave—although that would be convenient—, but he will not feel truly at peace with this apathetic silence.

Or perhaps he is just a brat and he feels he’ll have lost if he does not make her speak.

“So, you from the town? Haven’t seen you before.”

By “the town”, he of course means Villarrica proper, to be distinguished from the small community of (descendants of) German immigrants a mile away that he calls home. In any case, he gets no response.

“Um, I’m Javier. I’m in the fifth grade.”

He still does not know that his very special school is teaching him well beyond the standard fifth grade. When he leaves Villarrica and joins a standard institution, he will skip two whole years. It will only exacerbate the feeling of alienation that will haunt his entire childhood. Not that it matters right now; he still receives no response.

Javier grumbles. No other choice, then. Time for the big guns.

“Um, there is a caterpillar crawling up your cunny—ow!”

The girl lifts her torso as if pulled by a pump, to unabashedly backhand the boy’s forehead.

“There most certainly is not, you filthy-mouthed brat!”

And this is how this entire story began—

“Well, this is most elucidating.”

I am no longer my ten-years-old self. To my side, there is no longer a naked girl in the flower of puberty, but a woman whose ruby eyes see the entire world from on high.

(BGM)

“Uwah! Wha…”

“I apologize,” continues the prone Maid, completely supplanting the girl’s place and utterly uncaring of my nudity nor my (lame…) attempts at covering myself. “I do not make it a habit of invading other people’s dreams uninvited. However, it is the only conceivable way I can impart my instruction tonight.”

And now I’m dressed. Seriously. What the hell. They’re the clothes I was wearing the day I arrived to Valparaíso—the clothes I was wearing when I first saw her in the supermarket. Of course, I’m still wearing these clothes, only beneath layers and layers of winter garb.

No, rather, I was…right, the fight against Rider. Maria beat the guy. I, I was with Senta and Caster, and then…then there was a magical light, right. I…guess I passed out after that?

“Wait, I’m…this is a dream?”

“Strictly speaking, it was a dream,” explains my teacher, thankfully ever willing to answer questions. “It ended upon my interruption. We are now in a mental landscape crafted by my art. There is effectively no difference to you, so you may consider it ‘a continuation of the dream that I am forcing upon you’.”

The strangest thing happens: The Maid smiles a soft smile, not really gazing at the wilderness around us. It is the most blatant display of emotion I have seen from her.

“Oneiromancy is one of the few disciplines in which my mastery declined with the years rather that improve. To match the prowess of the younger me, I need to rely on my Noble Phantasm.”

Is it just me, or she looks even paler than usual? I mean, her skin is flawlessly white, but even her lips lack color right now.

“I must admit that my intrusion has proved fortuitous. I have learned much from the memory you have recovered. Gaps remain in my understanding, but I can
    divine
    calculate
    the most likely answers from what I know now. You have my gratitude, student.”

A dream…right, this was, rather than a dream, a memory.

“I…yes, I met Lily right here. I was ten years old.”

We are in some mindscape or whatever, but I can still feel blood rushing to my face and warmth filling my body. It is mixed with anguish, and I grab my head like I’m accusing my brain of the worst betrayal.

“How the hell did I forget? I…”

…I loved Lily. She was…damn it, she was brilliant. You are never supposed to forget your first love, even if it was a ten-year-old brat’s crush, right? But I really, completely…the hell, Javier? How can I forget…God, how could I forget—

“You forgot because she made you forget,” The Maid declares with finality. She does not need my cue to explain further, bless her. “She placed a block in your memories, which has naturally eroded, and will further erode as your divine flame grows and consumes it.”

There is that creepy regular blinking of hers.

“In truth, the flame is not necessary to break through that seal by this point.”

A block…so Lily was…well, that does not really surprise me. Lily is probably the one person in this world I would have believed had she told me she was a witch or whatever. Really, how could she be anything but supernatural?

“Why?” I need a reason before I can resent Lily. It is impossible; now that I remember she exists, nostalgia is coloring my thoughts. Even if The Maid told me Lily killed my parents, I’d probably think twice before feeling outrage.

“I can think of a number of reasons. Rather than muddle your thoughts with possibilities, perhaps aim to recover the locked memories remaining. Then, perhaps, you would hold a grasp of her motivation.”

Makes sense, but I can tell those words come not from kindness. After all…

“I know you are the Master of the singularity.”

“Hmm.” Naturally, she is unfazed. “That depends on what you mean as ‘the Master’. If you mean ‘the person who transmuted the present flow of time in this city into a singularity’, then I most certainly am. If you mean, ‘the owner of the Holy Grail sustaining this singularity’, then I ceased to be that about a year ago. If you mean, ‘the Master of the Servants summoned in this singularity’, I will have you know there was never such a thing. These Servants are not subjected to any mechanism to enforce their obedience, such as the Command Seals implemented in the contemporary Grail War system.”

Wait, what is she trying to say?

“It matters not. Let us begin your lesson.”

What? No, wait, what?

“Wait, are you going to…? Do you still want to…?”

No, wait, are we really changing topics just like that? You’re supposed to be the villain in this whole mess, right?

“Your hesitation is disheartening,” she replies in a voice not in the least disheartened-sounding. “I already made clear that I will instruct you to the best of my ability in the time we have available. Do not make me repeat myself.”

“My
    divinations
    calculations
    are not incapable of flaw, so it is very well possible that the singularity and I will be unmade tomorrow. The more reason to make the most of tonight’s opportunity. Listen well.”

The Maid does not need her arms to raise her torso and adopt a seated position. It is like something out of a horror movie. Now, I was the one who asked her to teach me, so why does now feel like I don’t have a choice in the matter?

“A Human God is one who holds both humanity and divinity in their grasp, yet is neither. An existence of contradiction and ambiguity, the ultimate liminality. It is not merely a god who has made humanity itself its purview, or a human who has taken a hold of power divine. A further step is needed.”

“In the case of a human seeking ultimate enlightenment, the challenge is twofold: first, to hold divinity in one’s hand. You are privileged in that you were bestowed with the seed divine at birth. If only in that, you are not much different from the King of Heroes. The next step is, of course, to make the divine your own without becoming shackled to the World. You must grasp divinity without letting it become a cage that limits you, nor a lens that determines how you see the World. Gods are systems capable of transcendent feats, but they themselves are fixed and unchanging. A Human God is one who can bind the World to themselves if they so wish.”

The finger of her right hand draw symbols of light in the air, faster than my eyes can follow.

(BGM STOP)

“Now, let us see your mettle.”

There is no further warning. The green outdoors are replaced with the open mouth of a volcano. While The Maid remains calmly seated in empty air, gravity cruelly pulls me into the pool of incandescent, molten rock.

I scream.

There is nothing else. My legs cannot paddle; they are merely incinerated. My arms cannot wade; the flesh becomes ash and dissolves in the lava. I can only scream until my lungs too are on fire, and then there’s nothing—

(BGM)

“The power resides within you, but it is not yours. If it were, it would not hurt you.”

The Maid speaks, but I am not listening. I gasp on the grass in fetal position, my body shivering, as it cannot escape phantom pain enveloping it. It cannot reconcile the fact that it is no longer immersed in a pool of lava.

“The obvious solution is to abandon yourself to the divine. The pain will cease, but you will also cease to be human. To my understanding, that is not what you desire.”

The Maid speaks, but I only know pain and tears. I am a shuddering, sniveling thing. What else can I do? Everything burns. Everything hurts.

“Your body and soul are merely containers for the divine flame of the sovereign spirit of your homeland’s volcano. If you seek the Path of the Human God, you must change that. Entwine your soul with the flame. Let your circuits become not fuel, but roots that partake of the flame for their sustenance. Be the vessel through the flame manifests no longer. Become the architect of the flame’s godly feats. Again.”

When she begins drawing her symbols again, I can only muster a whimper. The screams begin when I no longer feel the touch of the ground.

“Do not assume you can merely usurp the power divine. How can you begin to claim that which you cannot even grasp? Can you monopolize the affections of a woman you have never met?”

What…is she saying? I hear…she speaks, but…Jesus, it hurts…

Everything…everything should be burnt. I have already died twice. Why do I still…

“The flame will resist every attempt at subjugation. Divine power cannot transform a system; merely sustain its steady state. However, at that single function it is peerless.”

I don’t understand…I just…want to lie down. Until it doesn’t hurt anymore.

“The divine flame has changed you because you have allowed it to. The divine flame can hurt you because you accept that it must. Because it has claimed Authority over you.”

Why…are you still talking…?

“Remind it that the privilege to enact change belongs to humans. That the flame alone cannot change the World. That it can only allowed to do change as a thing of humankind. Again.”

“No…”

My pitiful whine is not heard. Not by anybody capable of mercy, at least.

(BGM STOP)

Stillness. If I don’t move a muscle, maybe she’ll think I’m dead—

“Do not mock me, student. If you are of mind for shameless stratagems, then you are of mind to face the flame. Again.”

“Wa—”

Words are not allowed.

Only screams.

“Truly you are in direst need of my instruction. You are nothing less than incapable on your own.”

“…f…u…”

“Oh, you have insults left in you. Good. Challenge the flame just like that. Again.”

The lava consumes him in silence.

(BGM)

The Maid sits as coldly placid as ever. In front of her lies a broken man. His eyes remain open solely because his mind still believes his eyelids have burnt to nonexistence. He breathes through his mouth, the raspy sound of one whose throat is swollen from screaming.

“Did you expect this to be easy?”

The Maid’s words are not mockery, nor are they denigration or dismissal. She merely refuses to dabble and speaks without vagaries. Every single word and action obeys the purpose of her devotion.

“You asked for the means to triumph as a human over the vicissitudes of the gods. Believe when I ascertain that, even after all that, you still do not understand the magnitude of what you desire.”

To whine, to complain, to curse, to resent—the capacity for feeling is denied to the child battered by the weight of his own ambition. To think is an ordeal, there is barely enough remaining for the young man to ascertain his own existence. That he is not a pile of ashes, but remains a man.

“The time to turn back is already past,” she continues. “You will receive the teachings I impart, or you will perish. My heart soars when my students triumph, but the perilous nature of the ordeal you have chosen for yourself is not to be denied. With that understanding, what will you do, student?”

The Maid demands to be heard. Her authority pierces through the veil of lingering pain, thorough exhaustion and psychological enclosure. He hears her, clearly. He hears the challenge in her words, and the expectation in her voice. Like all teachers, she is demanding. Like all good teachers, she wants her student to succeed. Yet there is more, for she is more than a teacher, but this Javier Lucero’s addled mind cannot ascertain.

Her words challenge his conviction and test his desires. Does she want to see his greed, or his restraint? His boldness, or his prudence? She wants him to succeed, but just how far does she expect him to go?

On the other hand, it is not like any of that matters. This is not about The Maid’s desires. This is solely about Javier Lucero. What he hopes for, what he strives for, what he believes is his due. What he must do, in the face of the challenges of the frozen Valparaíso—the singularity his merciless teacher admits to have created.

This is why, at this point, Javier Lucero—

Choice Time, How You Were Missed!
    1. Stands up and accepts The Maid’s Intensive Instruction (Javier may reap more benefits from the lecture, but the effect of the Rest Action will be diminished.)
    2. Takes it easy for tonight and focuses on resting for tomorrow’s challenges. (The lesson’s benefits will be lesser, if at all, but Javier will be fully Rested.)

Select ONE from the following only if you have chosen Option 1 above:
    a. Ask for guidance on the way to endure the flame.
    b. Ask for guidance on the way to understand the flame.

Select ONE from the following only if you have chosen Option 2 on top:
    a. Talk with The Maid about herself.
    b. Talk with The Maid about Saver.
    c. Talk with The Maid about Caster.
    d. Talk with The Maid about Rider and Berserker.
    e. Talk with The Maid about the Hexensoldaten.
    f. Talk with The Maid about Liria Colhuán.
    g. Talk with The Maid about Ishtar.

JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    The first BGM link just leads to Youtube's main page. The second one as well.
    Last edited by Rafflesiac; September 26th, 2019 at 12:46 AM.
    canon finish apo vol 3