Page 218 of 858 FirstFirst ... 118168208213216217218219220223228268318718 ... LastLast
Results 4,341 to 4,360 of 17149

Thread: Create-A-Servant 2

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Bird of Hermes's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RoydGolden View Post
    You must be thinking of Sherman, since I never did Ulysses. Though another user did a while ago, his (while not bad) hardly seemed definitive...
    Ah, he was what I meant. My infamous bad memory strikes again.

So Many Ideas, So Little Time SleepMode's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    This might sound rather foolish, but how do you link specific posts in this forum?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zh1212 View Post
    This might sound rather foolish, but how do you link specific posts in this forum?
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com/misc.php?do=bbcode#post
    You can find a post's ID by clicking on the number above the post. Using yours as an example, it's #4350; clicking on that and reading the URL shows that its number is 2606354.
    Alternatively, quote the post in question and it'll show up after the user's name.

Click the little number in the top right of the post. In your case it's "#4350." Then it'll open a link to the post. Copy the URL and link as usual. (Unless the linking is the problem, I'd be happy to explain that as well.)

That's how I do it, anyway. Maybe there is another way.

e: NMR too fast

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the replies!

Blog Entries
    By the way, I finished the Servant profile for Perenelle Flamel yesterday, and anyone can access the link below if they want to point out problems with the Servant. Also, if you want, you can recommend ways to remedy it.

Servant is here! http://forums.nrvnqsr.com/showthread...=1#post2604971

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Servant Caster:

True Name: James Watt 'Father Of Steam'

Alignment: Neutral Good

Strength- E
    Agility- D
    Endurance- D-
    Mana- C+
    Luck- B
    NP- A+

Appearance:

Source is here

Personality
    Daring, grandiose and endowed with an infinite entrepreneurial spirit, Caster appears to be a gentleman scientist straight out of pulp novels. An ardent believer in the human spirit's limitless potential for growth and evolution, he considers it to be the rightful destiny of mankind to attain dominion over the natural world. He is also a skeptic and rationalist, disparaging the esoteric arts as mere remnants of mankind's ignorence to be burnt away by the light of knowledge.

Caster's heart swells with boundless pride to think that his inventions have helped pave the way towards a prosperous future for all humanity. And yet, he recognizes the darker aspects of his legacy as well. The destruction inflicted by the industrial revolution upon the natural world weighs heavily on his mind.

As Caster puts it, all great scientists possess heroism and villainy in equal measure, their inventions shaping history in ways both grand and terrible. As such, while interacting with nature spirits and related beings Caster embraces the role of a "villain" with aplomb, assuming a manner much like that of a stereotypical mad scientist from children's cartoons, complete with bouts of maniacal laughter. This is not a role Caster delights in, but merely how he fulfills his perceived duty to acknowledge the sins of his legacy as well as its rosier aspects.

Despite his engineering genius, Caster is a notably poor businessman and especially hated bargaining or making deals of any sort. At one point, he even famously wrote that "he would rather face a loaded cannon than settle an account or make a bargain" .

Caster's wish on the Holy Grail is simply to be able to continue his life's work of guiding humanity to new and ever greater heights of technological prosperity. However, in the modern era, he recognizes the greatest threat to the human race's continued existence to be without a doubt humanity itself, gradually destroying the very natural resources they depend upon for survival. As such, Caster's goal is either to avert the planet's gradual demise or find a way for mankind to survive past that point.

His most promising possibility at present is to harness the Third Magic through the power of the Holy Grail and use it to bring forth a true "
    perpetual motion engine
    infinite energy machine
    " in defiance of the laws of physics, a fount of inexhaustible power so that humanity can sustain themselves without needing to plunder the planet.

Dislikes: romanticizing the past, stagnation, silver-tongued businessmen
    Talent: improving upon the innovations of others
    Natural Enemy: Gaea, Tiamat, Archimedes

Class Skills:

Territory Creation- B
    Ability to formulate a territory advantageous to oneself. As Caster is not a magus, employment of this Skill is limited to establishing a rudimentary workshop that greatly streamlines the rate at which he can produce steam-powered technology. Slightly cramped but cozy, Caster's favored territory resembles an old-fashioned crafting workshop in the Victorian style.

Item Construction- B+ (EX)
    Aptitude for crafting (pseudo-)magical items.

As one of the fathers of the industrial revolution, Caster's domain lies not in formulating artifacts of mystical power but in the creation of technology which embodies the brilliance and potential of humanity. While Caster has a wide range of expertise in crafting all manner of technology, from mathematical instruments to telescopes and water-wheels, his undisputed specialty lay in works of steam.

In the Holy Grail War, Caster is able to manufacture steam-based contraptions of every sort, ranging from the simplest pumps and pistons to more elaborate and fantastical inventions such as flying machines, clockwork golems and mechanized armor.

Though Caster's greatest craftsmanship is limited solely to steam-based artifacts, it is effectively ranked EX since, so long as it employs the concept of steam power, there is virtually no mechanism which he cannot produce. Given the proper time and research, he is fully capable of devising inventions which mimic the effects of advanced thaumaturgy through wholly scientific means.

Riding- E++
    Ability to ride animals and vehicles. Due to his unfamiliarity with the technology of the modern age, Caster finds handling even basic motor vehicles difficult. His competency with living mounts such as horses is essentially nil, as with his frail body and utter lack of training he's all but sure to be bucked off on his first try.

However, in the case where the "mount" in question is steam-based, Caster's performance rises to that of an A-rank in this Skill. All steam-powered mounts or vehicles can be ridden and operated at an expert level as if he'd been training in them all his life, even if he had no experience with the technology in question prior.

Since Caster lacks special anecdotes for riding or utilizing mounts of any sort, he'd normally have no aptitude for this Skill or the Rider Class in general. However, as the essence of the Rider Class lies in symbolic domination over the natural world- epitomized in the form of a bridled beast- it can arguably be deemed the most fitting Class for this particular Servant, who not only tamed the force of steam to his will but transformed it into an engine of progress for all humanity.

Other factors to explain his shoehorning into this Class are Caster's development of the term "horsepower" to qualify machine output and the way his own engine was analogized to a mighty steed, bearing the entire industrial revolution on its back.

Magic Resistance- D+
    The power to neutralize opposing Magecraft. At this rank, only Single-Action spells are negated. Magic Resistance of an equivalent degree to an amulet which rejects magical energy.

Having no familiarity with the occult in life, Caster's role in championing the industrial revolution which hastened the large-scale erosion of mystery has granted him a somewhat higher rank in this Skill then he would otherwise possess. Thanks to his ardent belief in mankind's supremacy over nature, the effectiveness of this Skill is further boosted against Magecraft deriving its power from the natural world.

Personal Skills:

Conceptual Improvement- A
    The special right and unfair advantage of improving any tool, from any given time or place. A bow becomes stronger, a sword becomes sharper, an axe becomes heavier, etc.

While known as an inventor, Caster's greatest talent lay in taking the innovations of others and bringing out their fullest potential. His dramatic improvement of the existing steam engine helped convert it from a mere mechanical curiosity into the beating heart that powered the entire industrial revolution.

Caster's application of this Skill is constrained solely to steam-based technology. Upon glimpsing any mechanism powered by steam, Caster can instantly form a complete model of it in his mind, scrutinizing any possible faults in need of correction. Once this process is completed Caster need merely tinker with the object in question to raise it up to its "ideal form"- improving performance by as much as 80%.

He can actually improve even farther at the risk of "overclocking" the machinery in question beyond what can be safely managed, akin to the phenomenon of a Servant "breaking" their Noble Phantasm for a last-ditch burst of explosive power. As a visual effect, "overclocked" technology begins to glow red from overheat and vent out steam in excessive quantities.

Double Summon- B
    A privilege afforded as a result of an irregular summoning ritual. Permits a Servant to simultaneously possess Class Skills from two different Classes. Though a Caster Class Servant officially, he possesses the Skills prototypical of the Rider Class as well. Whether the peculiarly equine form his Noble Phantasm takes is the reason or the result of such distortion is unknown, however...

Innovation: Industrial Revolution- A+
    A special Skill afforded to heroes who brought about innovation in their eras. A conceptual revolution which subjugates the old to the new.

Caster's unique variant of this Skill derives from his role in spearheading the industrial revolution. Such a period in history saw an unprecedented expanse in mankind's prosperity and command over the natural world. Another effect was a worldwide suppression of mystery and belief in phantasmal existences, as science and rationalism became the driving powers behind the mechanized era.

Embodying his famous revolution in his own flesh, Caster receives bonuses to the application of his Item Construction Skill for crafting technology. However, not all the consequences of the industrial revolution were so rosy. Decried by romanticists in his time as a dark and destructive force born from mankind's limitless desire to plunder the natural world, Caster's revolution is a twofold concept exemplifying not only "the progress of humankind" but also "the destruction of nature".

As such, Caster is awarded favorable modifiers in combat that scale proportionately to the opponent's ties with Gaea and the natural world. Thanks to this Skill, he attains a supreme advantage against the likes of Elementals, nature spirits and similar beings whose power and authority derive from the earth.

As a final side-effect, a profound "stench" of industrial pollution emanates from Caster, inevitably drawing the hostility of all earth-aligned beings. Both a mark of pride for Caster and a permanent brand of sin etched into his spiritual core, cementing his existence as "an enemy of the natural world."

Knowledge Of Gifted Genius- A
    A skill that shows unparalleled natural knowledge. Allows the use of most Skills excluding those inherent to the body (such as Divinity) or ones unique to particular heroes, at proficiency of B~A rank. Caster was not merely a brilliant practical mechanic, but a distinguished natural philosopher and chemist as well. His inventions showcased a profound knowledge of those sciences, and an unmatched talent to unify them into a practical whole.

Noble Phantasm

Watt Engine
    Oh Progress, Trample Forth Like A Stallion
    (A+, Anti-Army, Anti-Nature):
    Caster's revolutionary motor and by far his greatest work of mechanical brilliance. A dramatic improvement over the sluggish and inefficient Newcomen engine, it was almost singularly responsible for kickstarting the industrial revolution as we know it. Likened to a mechanical workhorse which drove the industrial revolution, the form this Noble Phantasm crystallizes into is an unexpectedly literal take on that idea.

A great "horse" that Caster can call to his side, which appears as a chaotic mass of whirring gears, valves, pipes and other such steampunk apparati condensed together into a roughly equine form. This "horse" appears constantly wreathed in industrial smog expelled from the various pipes and vents strewn across its body, with the two most prominent such vents serving in place of nostrils- giving the appearance of "snorting" ink-black steam. Its dark eyes also give off a terrifying crimson glow, while its whinny is a cacophonous steam whistle.

A demonic and phantasmal steed bearing the conceptual weight of the entire industrial revolution- empowering humanity, crushing mystery and ravaging nature. While rousing the hearts of his human allies to an equal extent of Charisma at rank C, it appears as nothing short of a horrific and grotesque existence to those aligned with the earth, imposing the effects of Dread Visage at the same rank.

Invoking the true name of his greatest innovation, Caster's steed initiates a mighty trampling charge across the battlefield, ramming his enemies with the force of a runaway steam train while disgorging immense amounts of heat and scalding smog to leave the land in its wake a scorched, steaming wasteland. Only Caster himself is protected from the destructive effects while atop the horse.

Those hit by the brunt of this charge face not only the tangible weight of the horse itself, but the metaphysical "weight" of the entire industrial revolution, trampling over all obstacles in its endless march of progress. Only something with a similar conceptual weight as the advancement of all humankind stands a chance of enduring this peerless charge.

A single usage of this Noble Phantasm's true power is likely to leave a blackened, smoldering scar upon the natural world that won't fade even in a hundred years. Synonymous with the industrial revolution itself; a great power for those with the wisdom to harness it, but incalculably destructive if brought forth recklessly.

Key Words/Craft Essences

Engine Of Sin
    "...Evil, you ask?

Indeed, I can surely be called as such.
    A villain who dispoiled the verdant womb of nature to satiate his own foul greed, yes, that too is a genuine aspect of one who embodied the industrial revolution!

And yet, that burden of 'sin' is one all great scientists share. I accept it! Nay, I exalt in it even!
    If seeking the prosperity of man makes me a scoundrel, then I shall assure my name be etched in history as the vilest scoundrel of all!
    Hear my name resound and tremble in fear, oh foolish guardians of nature!

Haha... mwahahahahahahahahaa...!

...Excuse me. What were we talking about again, Master? Got a little carried away there."

...Piercing The Heavens?

"This technology is amazing! Humanity truly has advanced stupendously since my era.

I see... yes, this is indeed machinery befitting a mad scientist of my stature!
    With my Watt Engine and this marvel of engineering, we shall lay conquest not only to the earth, but the very heavens themselves and place them under the yoke of man!
    Let us commence building of the 'Super Galaxy Gurren Lagann' at once, Master!

...Huh? What do you mean, it's only just a cartoon?"
    Last edited by RoydGolden; September 24th, 2018 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Changed up wording slightly in personality and NP

Blog Entries
    Servant Caster:

True Name: James Watt 'Father Of Steam'
    not a steampunk mecha

trash

Quote Originally Posted by Gally View Post
    not a steampunk mecha

trash
    Wouldn't that just be Babbage again?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gally View Post
    not a steampunk mecha

trash
    I think I more then made up for it with the crazy steam-powered horse as his NP. Plus if you want a mecha that badly, he can make one through his Item Construction Skill.

Any commentary on the sheet itself, please?

I think I more then made up for it with the crazy steam-powered horse as his NP. Plus if you want a mecha that badly, he can make one through his Item Construction Skill.

Any commentary on the sheet itself, please?
    It's usually a good sign when I think, "Man, I'd actually like to see more of this character," while reading the sheet. I actually think industrial revolution horse is pretty cool, and the visual definitely fits the "industrial revolution" vibe. Double Summon can sometimes feel arbitrarily thrown in but I think it works in this instance. Fun personality too. Good stuff in general.

Blog Entries
    Update: I just went back and added another paragraph to Watt's personality detailing his wish on the Grail, as well as adding a secondary Anti-Nature classification to his NP. I intended to include those bits to begin with, but I was so eager to post up the sheet (which had been sitting on my Word file for at least a week) that I forgot.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 4score7years View Post
    It's usually a good sign when I think, "Man, I'd actually like to see more of this character," while reading the sheet. I actually think industrial revolution horse is pretty cool, and the visual definitely fits the "industrial revolution" vibe. Double Summon can sometimes feel arbitrarily thrown in but I think it works in this instance. Fun personality too. Good stuff in general.
    I'm glad you like it. I might include Bond CE stuff sometime later, but for now I just wanted to post it up and be done with it.

Blog Entries
    It's uncommon to find a Industrial-age Servant this good, I'm impressed! The Steam-Steed NP is well thought-out, and I hope to see more of your ideas.

Blog Entries
    It's uncommon to find a Industrial-age Servant this good, I'm impressed! The Steam-Steed NP is well thought-out, and I hope to see more of your ideas.
    Good to hear you like the steam-steed, since it was by far the wackiest idea I've used in a while. I have a couple more ideas for Servants bouncing around in my head (such as King Canute), but I probably won't be posting them up for quite a while given how long this one took to write up. (And I also have an original story to work on)

For what it's worth, I quite liked your Perenelle sheet as well. You did a good job of fleshing out a pretty obscure historical figure, not to mention setting her apart from her husband.

For what it's worth, I quite liked your Perenelle sheet as well. You did a good job of fleshing out a pretty obscure historical figure, not to mention setting her apart from her husband.
    Oh yeah I was going to post a thing about that but got sidetracked. Imo you did well to develop her as a character, especially since there isn't really that much about her. Her relationship with Flemel feels suitably complex and I appreciate that the relationship is reflected in her skills.

Blog Entries
    Good to hear you like the steam-steed, since it was by far the wackiest idea I've used in a while. I have a couple more ideas for Servants bouncing around in my head (such as King Canute), but I probably won't be posting them up for quite a while given how long this one took to write up. (And I also have an original story to work on)

Don't fret about the posts, your personal work matters more, I'll be patiently waiting for any new Servants anyday.

Thank you for your thoughts on my profile; I was initially worried about my portrayal of Perenelle, since I had to make up a lot of things as I went. And huge thanks to Bird of Hermes, for providing a base for me to develop the character.

Blog Entries
    Don't fret about the posts, your personal work matters more, I'll be patiently waiting for any new Servants anyday.
    Wow, glad to hear I've got myself a fan!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 4score7years View Post
    Oh yeah I was going to post a thing about that but got sidetracked. Imo you did well to develop her as a character, especially since there isn't really that much about her. Her relationship with Flemel feels suitably complex and I appreciate that the relationship is reflected in her skills.
    Thank you for checking my Servant profile, it's really easy to get sidetracked given the discussions in the thread. Honestly it was challenging, but I wanted to make a character that complements Nicholas, in both story and stats; so while they're somewhat decent when alone, but can pose as an difficult opponents when they fight together.

Gally: I actually really like all the skills, but I think the NP probably needs a couple more sentences of detail. It does sound like a pretty cool idea though.

Blog Entries
    Julia: Interesting, but you should really include a little more flavor to clarify why she has certain abilities. Particularly the NP which, while I can certainly imagine what sort of historical anecdote would crystallize into that sort of ability, there's absolutely no indication to be given from the description itself.

Her NP is really sparse and under-specified in general, really. For instance, does the copy retain the personality of the original, or are they just an empty shell?