Page 1 of 7 1236 ... LastLast

Thread: Clock Tower 2015

Blog Entries

Clock Tower 2015

Food is translating. I asked him and he told me that if I want I can repost updates for everyone who doesn't follow Kitchen Space. Enjoy.

---

The Clock Tower of 2015

Although it was something that happened often, a magus was found dead this winter.
    He was the director of a small research building, and his corpse was found in the Director's Room of that exact building. The cause of death was said to be hypovolemic shock secondary to dismemberment.
    Even though the crime scene suggested murder, no one visited the site since the week prior. His death was thus deemed suicide, because there was no suspect.
    The incident was incomprehensible, but as a magus, meeting such an end was not surprising.
    Murder that looked like suicide, or suicide that looked like murder; such was the norm in the world of magi.
    The mourners had no questions regarding the death, but everyone was puzzled when the deceased was buried.
    On the tombstone prepared by the deceased before his death, there were three names.

01 Summer | Suburb of London | Clock Tower Eleventh District

Under the blazing afternoon sun, I squinted my eyes as I walked these old streets.
    The English climate was drier than that of Japan. Since the humidity was low, one did not get sweaty or uncomfortable despite the sunshine.
    I took off my coat and headed to my destination with a map in hand.
    The street was made of bricks and stone.
    The buildings from the 12th Century were well-preserved, creating a juxtaposition of the Medieval and the modern.
    The town consisted of over 40 student dormitories (called Colleges), over a hundred research buildings, as well as the business districts that supplied the residents.
    This was the birthplace of the Magic Association; the centre of the modern world of magecraft; the Mecca of mages.
    It had been a few years, I again walked into the city that inspired fear and awe --- "The Clock Tower".
    "From here it's Rocks Road... The Eleventh Department really earned their name as the weakness, there's nothing on the streets. It certainly fits the impoverished lifestyle of the archaeologists."
    The Clock Tower divided the city based on faculty and department. The architecture varied depending on the district.
    The Magic Association divided mysticism into 12 domains. In other words, this city reflected the specialties of each faculty.
    The Twelve Faculties were ruled by the Twelve Lords.
    The twelve domains of mysticism included the critical General Fundamentals (encompassing basic knowledge, leyline studies, and mana studies), which was designated as I, as well as Individual Fundamentals (II), Necromancy (III), Geology (IV), Zoology (V), Anthropology (VI), Botany (VII), Astronomy (VIII), Creation (IX), Curse (X), Archaeology (XI), and Modern Magecraft Theories (XII). These were the directions which dictated the ways of the magi.
    Although Policies was the 13th item and was open to those who wish to pursue politics, it was a social science rather than a discipline in the pursue to mysticism. As a result, it was not included in the Twelve Faculties.
    The majority of the magi studied General Fundamentals for about 5 years (which included common magical knowledge, sympathetic magecraft, contagious magecraft, leyline studies, and mana studies), and then enter the Faculty that was associated with the lineage. Magi might also enroll in other Faculties as associates to help further his studies in his own Faculty.
    My Faculty was Astronomy.
    Although the Faculty was generalized as Astronomy, it included divisions such as Astrology, Planetology, and Divinity. It was rare to run into other magi who studied the same courses as myself.
    Also, there was great unity within each dormitory (College). If an outsider stepped into the college, it was not uncommon for interpersonal conflicts to evolve into inter-college wars.
    However, I never resided within the Clock Tower, so I was not territorial. Right now, I was just walking around the Rocks Road College.
    If this was the college of a major Faculty (that of the Barthomeloi associates), then I would already be surrounded by private police. Rocks Road was an area distant from the power struggles of the Association, so such danger did not exist.
    The people here were a group of pure academics who studied archaeology and nothing else. They were not the kind to arrest me and cause quarrel.
    "Oh, here we are. Sir Flauros' research building.
    Ooo, it was bigger than expected. He must have found a powerful backer."
    After arriving at my destination, I began to survey the building standing in the garden on the other side of the fence.
    I expected a small house, but here was a mansion larger than 200-tsubo. To a Japanese such as me, it looked like a small castle.
    "He probably had co-researchers. If he had a workshop of such magnitude, he must be quite successful. Why would something like this happ ----"
    I swallowed back the inauspiciousness I was about to utter.
    The plaque on the gate said "No Visitors Before the End of the Month".
    The mansion was surrounded by a tall fence.
    I cleared my throat, adjusted my glass, and pressed the door bell with lady-like elegance.

02 The Record of Leiv Uvall

------The purpose of a magus' life was to serve the past.
    It was afternoon in the laboratory.
    Buried in a mountain of measuring apparatus and recording paper, Leiv Uvall was still perusing records of the past.
    Leiv's job in this residence was a researcher.
    He was a German male of Aryan descent. He hunched his long torso like a cat and paced back and forth in the cluttered room.
    Although he was mocked as "research fanatic" or "the indoor chairman", he was in fact a prodigy who drew attention by attaining the Fourth Rank (read as: Fes) at the young age of 20.
    In the subsequent 20 years, Leiv hid himself in the Eleventh Faculty (Rocks Road) and quietly performed his duties.
    "Director, you've been invited by the Head of the Division this morning. It seems like he has important matters to discuss and requests your attendance. What do you think sir?"
    The sound from the speaker in the laboratory was that of a nubile woman.
    It was the voice of Leiv's secretary and caretaker. Leiv nervously scratched his head, and spoke seriously to the speaker:
    "I don't have time for that, Ms. Norwich! Cancel all my external affairs. Such leisure activities are not something I can afford. All matters pertaining to myself will only be addressed on the last day of each month, and only during the four hours between evening and bed time. How many times do I need to repeat this!?"
    "But, but this time it is the Dean himself. It is such a great honour --"
    "I don't care. Why don't you chase him away by feeding him those awful pies of yours! Furthermore, isn't the Dean a creature of urban legend who doesn't even show up for school entrance ceremony? I stayed at the Clock Tower because of the promised unbridled freedom, yet these meaningless social occasions are growing more numerous year after year. This was contrary to what was advertised!"
    "I agree completely, but you got to realize that such is life."
    "Maybe for the normal men! For a social exile such as I, there's nothing to discuss with the rest of the world! Anyways, cancel it for me, and try your best not to bother me. At least for today, or the next 10 hours, just stop bothering me!"
    "Yes sir. I will tell that to the Head of the District."
    The speaker went silent.
    Leiv sighed as he read the records in the grimoire. The disturbing part was, during the previous conversation, his eyes never stopped scanning the tome.
    "Ahhh, the life of a magus is so brief. It would have been great if I were born with just the brain and nothing else."
    Like what you just saw, Leiv was a pure academic magus.
    All his efforts were poured solely into his theory and magecraft.
    He cared naught of any other responsibilities, the application of his magecraft, his lineage, or building his faction.
    From Leiv's perspective, those magi were the same as the plebians that were "normal people".
    If one were to decipher the mystical, then he must sacrifice his humanity.
    A magus was a creature with nothing but magecraft on his mind. There was no room for burdens such as "life".
    To a magus, deciphering a grimoire was not just a matter of comprehension. It was for recreating a Mystery from eras past, and then redefining its meaning in the current era.
    It was like translating Shakespeare into modern English.
    If deciphering a page of the grimoire took an hour, then a five-hundred-page tome would take 20 some days. In the research building, there were 500 grimoire awaiting to be read. On average Leiv could read about 12 per year. It would take 4 to 5 years to finish reading all the tomes.
    No, if that were the case, it would be a simple matter. Reading grimoire one by one was even easier.
    However, Leiv Uvall's duty was not "deciphering a certain grimoire", but "deciphering a System". He must digest all concepts and comprehend all the interrelated phenomena.
    If grimoire A and grimoire B had conflicting views on a certain item, then the content of A must be reviewed.
    The more grimoire he read, the more time he needed to redefine concepts. The number was astronomical.
    Of course, the cause of Leiv's grief was not "exhaustion from reading for so long".
    Rather, he was disgusted by the briefness of his life, which fell short of the time required to comprehensively analyze all the tomes.
    "Short. O so short. My one life time will not suffice!"
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Yay I did pretty well on the like 3 sentences I did and cared about.

マリーの味方
    This is actually really interesting. Would love to see more.

O Beast of CaerbannogAAAAARRGH!!? castor212's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Waitm, this is a translation of what?
    I haz a patreon please support onegai:
    clickable fancy banner link

Currently (like, actually) finishing Apocrypha 3

Blog Entries
    super nerd

Mate, that's noice as fuck! Vagrant's Avatar
    Wherever my body is, my heart is still in Straya, cunt
    Blog Entries
    Awesome. The Association is to me the single most interesting thing in Nasu's world, so I'm glad to see this being translated. No new lore revelations for me as yet, but I look forward to reading the rest of this.

Mate, that's noice as fuck! Vagrant's Avatar
    Wherever my body is, my heart is still in Straya, cunt
    Blog Entries
    If it is literally the opposite then you must love the stories about cooking the most, since those are the bits I find most pointless and dull.

Blog Entries
    So what exactly is this anyway?

"The world is just another word for the things you value around you, right? That's something I've had since I was born. If you tell me to rule such a world, I already rule it."

Blog Entries
    Chapter 2, part 2.

Magecraft did indeed offer methods that slowed ageing or temporarily restored youth.
    However, through these methods, one could only on average extend life to the orders of centuries. Even magi could not escape death.
    They thus transferred their wishes to their decedents. The reason that magi raised offspring at all was to allow their children to inherit the unfulfilled wishes.
    According to the sayings in the world of magi, a magus could only devote all of his effort to research until he was 50. After that, his life should be spent raising an heir... in other words, the "next runner".
    "No. No, I don't want that. They neither have the talent nor will. Furthermore, I can't place my trust in my decedents. My duties can only be fulfilled by me... !"
    Leiv thus would not waste such time.
    Even though his one life time was not enough, he still selflessly dedicated himself to research. To the observer, his determination was almost tragic. He was a fool who struggled to pursue his wish, despite its impossibility and futility.
    "Ahhh, if only I had a body double, maybe I could then live a little!"
    Unconsciously, this had become Leiv's mantra.
    "... I don't feel that way. You don't want to pass your duties to your heir because you want to keep the joy all to yourself."
    "----------Mm"
    There was a friend who thusly argued again Leiv's mantra.
    The pace of Leiv's nonstop reading slowed.
    The only thing he remembered from his time as a student, was eating lunch with her.
    "Sorry to bother you, Director. Do you have a minute?"
    "Wh, what!? I am busy! I wasn't distracted at all!"
    "Oh. There is an unfamiliar guest coming to visit, should I send her away?"
    "Of course. Especially that I don't even know this person. I already sent the Dean away, you think I would waste time on some guy who didn't even make an appointment?"
    "I just want to be sure. So the same as usual ---"
    "Ah, wait. I want to be sure too. Who is this barbarian that did not even make an appointment? What is the name?"
    "Ah. She calls herself Miss Aozaki. I never heard of such a person. Let me send her packing immediately."
    "---- no, wait. I am coming! Invite her into the living room, no, the Director's Room! I will get changed and be there immediately! Listen, be courteous, and brew a pot of red tea! Oh, and don't you bring out your pies!"
    Leiv rushed to the room next door and put on the suit that he had not worn in years. He brushed his messy hair, took a deep breath, and walked out of the hallway.
    His was nervous about meeting an old friend whom he had not seen in years, but he was also bursting with anticipation.
    His reminiscence just a while ago must be a sign.
    Aozaki. The name of the only person that Leiv considered a friend.
    She was designated for Sealing, and became a target of the Department of Execution. Not mentioning the Clock Tower, she risked her life by just setting foot in England. He had not heard about her in years. True talent induced jealousy even amongst your own kind.
    Leiv thought he would never see her again. Now she unexpectedly returned to the Clock Tower and showed up at his door!
    Just to clarify any misunderstanding, Leiv was incapable of love.
    He was happy purely because a friend with similar thoughts and skills was visiting. He was restless because he was looking forward to discussing magecraft with her in great length and details. Leiv had no experience to comprehend such luxuries as love.
    "Welcome! It's been a while, your precision didn't drop, Miss Aozaki?
    Of course not! Welcome to Rocks Road! I am happy to see you!"
    Leiv quickly knocked on the door of the Director's Room before opening it.
    In the Director's Room, stood a woman barely 25 years old. She turned her head while taking off the trademark glasses like removing a nuisance. The woman smiled at Leiv.
    "Hi~ Sorry to bother you, Mister Director.
    It happened so suddenly, but I ran out of travel fund. Can I borrow some cash?"
    "It, it's the younger sister, noooooooooooooooooo!!!!"
    The 40 year old kicked the chair away like a child.
    Leiv Uvall's dream dissolved before him even before nap time.
    Last edited by SeiKeo; October 7th, 2014 at 08:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

マリーの味方
    Quote Originally Posted by Rokudaime View Post
    So what exactly is this anyway?
    A short story written by Nasu.

Don't @ me if your fanfic doesn't even have Shirou/Illya shipping k thnx ItsaRandomUsername's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    In the Director's Room, stood a woman barely 25 years old. She turned her head while taking off the trademark glasses like removing a nuisance. The woman smiled at Leiv. "Hi~ Sorry to bother you, Mister Director.
    It happened so suddenly, but I ran out of travel fund. Can I borrow some cash?"
    "It, it's the younger sister, noooooooooooooooooo!!!!"
    The 40 year old kicked the chair away like a child.
    Leiv Uvall's dream dissolved before him even before nap time.
    I heartily kek'd.

By the way it's "descendant."
    McJon01: We all know that the real reason Archer would lose to Rider is because the events of his own Holy Grail War left him with a particular weakness toward "older sister" types.
    My Fanfics. Read 'em. Or not.

So it was Aoko, makes sense. Too bad Leiv, and you got all excited about talking with an old friend...

Quote Originally Posted by LeopardBear View Post

01 Summer | Suburb of London | Clock Tower Eleventh District

Under the blazing afternoon sun, I squinted my eyes as I walked these old streets.
    The town consisted of over 40 student dormitories (called Colleges), over a hundred research buildings, as well as the business districts that supplied the residents.
    The first thing that popped into my head was that garage that sold for half a million pounds.

I was like, "Are wizards to blame for the most inflated property market on Earth!?"

When the clock strikes midnight... Means it's a new day Jeanne. Strange_One's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    485,902,641/Vincent
    Blog Entries
    XD

Nasu u troll bastard

Also pies
    BEHOLD! THE SIG OF GOLDEN TRUTH! Pillaged from McJon, Tsukikan et al.

JP Friend Code
    お林
    Blog Entries
    Link to food's site? I totally forgot about it.

Come visit Mobius Space where
    quite rarely
    translators gather
    and post Type-Moon stuff

It's Darkest just before Dawn. John At Dawn's Avatar
    Needs more line spaces. I may be spoiled that way, but it just makes it so much easier to read.

When the clock strikes midnight... Means it's a new day Jeanne. Strange_One's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    485,902,641/Vincent
    Blog Entries
    Huh. Food's Soujuuro now?
    BEHOLD! THE SIG OF GOLDEN TRUTH! Pillaged from McJon, Tsukikan et al.

Yep.

The kitchen spambots still come back now and again, but we just delete the threads and pseudo-ban them, since for some reason invision boards won't let mods actually ban.
    Come visit Mobius Space where
    quite rarely
    translators gather
    and post Type-Moon stuff

Blog Entries
    Food's been Soujuurou for ages.