Page 1 of 16 123611 ... LastLast

Thread: Scotland: Yes or No?

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Scotland: Yes or No?

So, in a week, the world will learn if Scotland will become an independent country. What repercussions this will have for Scotland, England, and the rest of the world will remain to be seen, but as it stands, the number of "Yes" voters is growing. It's likely that this will come to an extremely close vote: 51/49 either way, but that small difference will mean a lot.

I made this thread because I happen to be in the strange position of having been in two countries with independence referendums: in 1995, the province of Quebec in Canada voted to secede from Canada. In the end, the vote was roughly 51% no, 49% yes. Since then, a number of laws have been enacted giving Quebec a lot of special freedoms, and it's become one of the richest, fastest-growing parts of the country. In the present day, even the largest national part in Quebec, the Bloc Quebecois - whose political influence in Quebec alone was great enough to make them the third-biggest political party in the country even just a couple elections ago - can barely get seats in Parliament.

Now I'm in the UK, and what happens shortly before I come here? The beginning of a movement to assert Scottish independence! Well, I never thought that this would be important to me, but since I live here now, it kind of is. I've never been to Scotland, but I'd like to potentially go there without having to enter a wholly new country in the process.

So. What's everyone's opinions on the Yes/No debate?
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

アカシャの蛇 The Serpent of Akasha RacingeR's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Can Scotland even afford becoming its own country? Is what I wonder, at least.

quotes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1984 View Post
    Besides, I don't see what's so terrible about looting anyway. It's only property, they're not actually harming anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by lantzblades View Post
    when I say hero I don't mean hero in the spirit sense. I mean a morally grounded, good natured person who doesn't slaughter innocent people. No such person exists in the Nasuverse.
    [00:12] <~Katie> i can't defy my origin
    [00:12] <~Katie> of gay memes

[16:15] <~Katie> lesbians has always been my gimmick and i will exploit it to the fullest

[22:56] <@Sei> airen is pegging hero this time
    [22:56] <@Sei> for once airen isn't the uke
    [22:56] <@Kuroyuki> I thought Air was the Woman in the Relationship?
    [22:56] <@Airen> Yeah I kinda thought I was the girl too!

Blog Entries
    I don't mind either, if Scots want to secede, then I wish them best. If they stay, it's their own decision.

Another Day At the Office Riven's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jormungandr View Post
    Scotland has pretty near full control over its own internal policies anyways, and has hand them for a long time. Despite their previous history of warfare, Scotland and England were joined by a Royal Union, not conquest. Furthermore, Scotland has had a pretty robust economy of late, and it's not like independence is going to cause them to sever all ties with England. They'd keep most of their old relationship, just on a more level playing field. They'd also make some new friendships elsewhere, probably in Scandinavia.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jormungandr View Post
    Scotland, population-wise, is the size of Denmark and would have the advantage of substantial oil reserves, so it's completely a viable country in an objective sense. Bigger problem is they're totally fucked on currency: the Yes campaign is saying they want to have a currency union with the UK after independence, which the UK has already said they're going to respond to with "fuck off" because if you wanted the Pound you should have stayed in. The plan B after that is to just use the Pound anyways without an official agreement, but to put a long argument short, the Euro should have shown everyone that a monetary union without fiscal union is a really bad deal for the smaller parties, and if you have a fiscal union the entire point of Scots independence is basically null.
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LeopardBear View Post
    Scotland, population-wise, is the size of Denmark and would have the advantage of substantial oil reserves, so it's completely a viable country in an objective sense. Bigger problem is they're totally fucked on currency: the Yes campaign is saying they want to have a currency union with the UK after independence, which the UK has already said they're going to respond to with "fuck off" because if you wanted the Pound you should have stayed in. The plan B after that is to just use the Pound anyways without an official agreement, but to put a long argument short, the Euro should have shown everyone that a monetary union without fiscal union is a really bad deal for the smaller parties, and if you have a fiscal union the entire point of Scots independence is basically null.
    So is that a Yes or a No.
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    So is that a Yes or a No.
    I think that if the SNP and the Yes crew was honest about the fact that Scotland would need a new currency they would have no chance in hell of winning.
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle Korburss's Avatar
    Huh, I hadn't heard of this before this thread.

Well, of late I have only heard talk of seceding from crackpots and idiot's whom don't understand economy but that just the good ol' U.S.A for ya. As Leo said, they would be in the position to either continue using the pound but be at a disadvantage or forming a new Currency. I just don't see the risk being worth any possible rewards of independence.

Blog Entries
    I vote for FiveX!

Banned
    I would like to see Scotland become the new Australia but even deadlier and full of mutated super men in kilts.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Do we get to fight the mutated kilt-men?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    there aren't enough gun emojis in the thousandfold trichiliocosm for this shit

Linger: Complete. August, 1995. I met him. A branch off Part 3. Mikiya keeps his promise to meet Azaka, and meets again with that mysterious girl he once found in the rain.
    Shinkai: Set in the Edo period. DHO-centric. As mysterious figures gather in the city, a young woman unearths the dark secrets of the Asakami family.
    The Dollkeeper: A Fate side-story. The memoirs of the last tuner of the Einzberns. A record of the end of a family.
    Overcount 2030: Extra x Notes. A girl with no memories is found by a nameless soldier, and wakes up to a world of war.

Blog Entries
    Well this is a surprise. Didn't expect see this be a thing.

But from the information I've quickly read up on, I don't see why they should. If you have a good thing going on, why break what works fine unless the decision you plan on doing will benefit you greatly in the long run. That's my opinion.

I guess if they want to do it, let the scots live with whatever they choose to vote on.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    Do we get to fight the mutated kilt-men?
    If there is a WWIII, yes.

Kind of like the Scotsman.

Banned
    No, the whole thing is fucking stupid.

Blog Entries
    I wonder if TheSpy is going to reappear out of nowhere to come in here and spout crazy talk.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Probably not.

There's not much of a reason to.

Blog Entries
    Is this weird EU Merkel imperialism or something

Blog Entries
    They better not considering they'll be fucked to all corners trade wise.

Aint a chance in hell that EU's letting them in. Not any time soon at the least.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridgeburner90 View Post
    Actually yes.
    Fuck off, weird nursing home, we're not gonna give you dad.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Thedoctor's Avatar
    It sounds like Scotland would be fucked economically.