Page 49 of 79 FirstFirst ... 394447484950515459 ... LastLast

Thread: [Quest] Lost Singularity - Fimbulwinter

US Friend Code
    Not fully caught up yet but I've read around halfway and just thought I'd pause and say how much I've been enjoying it.

I noticed that their isn't any EPUB or similar file available as well and since BL doesn't have any easy way to create an EPUB I spent around 2 hours making one for myself.

It will definitely be worth it for me as I do the majority of my reading through Read Aloud these days so that I can do it while Running, Cooking and Biking. This story is interesting enough and rich enough in details that I will also no doubt reread it at some point.

Thought I'd also share the link to it here in case anyone else wants a Copy.

****************************folder/k7kd...y-Fimbulwinter

I'll be keeping it up to date and will include the most recent choice at the end as well.

Daniel if you don't mind I'd also appreciate it if you added the link to the intro post, so that if anyone else wants an EPUB in the future they don't have to create it from Scratch like I did.

Although if you did post this on FFN or another place which has easy access to creating EPUB I may have wasted my time, my one does include all the Pictures as well as links to all of the BGM's which is at least a plus over autocreated one's as well.

Time to burn some dread Daneel Rush's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Eduranki
    Severe Cold (-30 °C/-22 °F)

Spoiler:
    (BGM)

“She has become even more of an embarrassing brute,” muses the beautiful Maid out loud. Whether she is heard or not in the midst of the wildly rampaging winds matters not to her. “She could have reproduced one of my Noble Phantasms, but instead she goes all out, claiming the greatest sacrifice. Perhaps she likes her vessel more than she lets on.”

Her head turns towards the distant Concepción Hill, were the ruins of a certain two-story house still smoke.

“Kundry has died as she lived: incapable of finding validation through her deeds. Goodbye, my pitiful child.”

To her side, the homunculus, Elisabeth, holds the Vhymeister sister to help her withstand the wind. They are both transfixed on the distant visage of the unraveling and reshaping of creation. Magdalena trembles but refuses to look away, imprinting in her mind the vaguest visage of the Truth her parents told her is the much longed aim of all magi. However, the families of Villarrica were never too shackled to the search for the Root. That likely explains why her abject terror outdoes the fascination such a sight inspires in all intelligent beings. On the other hand, Elisabeth…

The homunculus is a bit startled by the arm that wraps around her shoulders and the head that leans on her own.

“You are truly a daughter I can be proud of.”

The Maid’s breath tickles Elisabeth’s earlobe, and her nostrils catch an indescribable aroma like sweet incense, or a minty perfume. The quietest moan escapes Elisabeth’s plump lips as she squeezes her whole body tighter (and Magdalena in the process).

“Alas, I cannot shower you with love as I would like to. Not in this form.”

“Stop that,” pleas the artificial woman, her voice more a whimper.

“Oh, but you are asking me to cease being myself.” The Maid’s voice trickles with sultry amusement. “But enough of that. What do you think, my child?”

It clears she means the power just unleashed and still ravaging the sky of Valparaíso. Elisabeth hesitates to answer straight away.

“It’s scary.”

“Yet it is not fear that I see in your eyes.”

Elisabeth blinks, but remains sadly unable to take a look at herself in the absence of a mirror. The Maid smiles at the short-lived woman’s child-like bafflement.

“Do not fret. That, too, is part of the wish you seek.”

“Ah…um.” Elisabeth’s sheepish posture and expression would surprise her siblings. “More, more importantly, can we really win against something like that?”

“Oh, that is something you, my dear, do not need to worry about,” easily dismisses The Maid. “That thoughtless girl’s reproduction is merely that, a lesser imitation. It is beautiful to watch, but nothing to fear.”

“However, the fact remains that Rider will fall well before schedule, and that flashy demonstration from our reckless antagonist will stir a major reaction from a number of actors. It is only proper to declare that the original plan is no more. That unfortunately also means we no longer have the time to talk at length as I would have liked.”

“What…is going to happen?” Elisabeth surprises herself, being able to look away from that distant, lonely star to properly discuss strategy with The Maid.

“Be reminded that Berserker believes his current plan was born of clairvoyant inspiration. Without Rider around, he will take a direct stake on the maintenance of the Grail and the completion of this temple. He will come soon; you must not be here when he arrives.”

Elisabeth nods. This she understands better than anyone.

“Take the passage out of here and hide; you know which one.” Another nod. “Once I deal with Berserker, I will find you.”

The Maid pauses.

“Of course, we must always consider the possibility that I fail to deal with Berserker.”

“But that’s—”

The Maid quickly raises a hand to halt the other woman’s words.

“Should that come to pass, then forget about me and do as you wish. Your life will be in your own hands.”

“But—”

“You, too, have a wish you long to make into reality, do you not?”

The words are like a punch in the gut. Elisabeth takes a deep breath, bringing her hand to her generous chest and closing her eyes. Yes, even the likes of her has something worth fighting for.

“What…what should I do?”

The Maid shakes her head.

“I will not show you the path to the future you seek. However, I will grant a single warning: placing your fate in my student’s hands is the easiest option, but also the most risky. He will either grant you the freedom you seek, or destroy you with his own hands. You have been warned.”

Elisabeth shudders. The words of The Maid are like sacred oracular truth. The homunculus knows this wisdom bestowed is not a gift. Should she have slain the Master of Saver when she had the chance, to spare herself this haunting fate? Well, it’s too late for that.

Around them, the rampaging winds lose steam, as the world reasserts its proper (?) form. The blood tint in the sky gradually dissipates to be replaced by the frozen city’s dull blue and gray tones. Naturally, the solid icy surface of the Pacific Ocean has been transformed into a swaying carpet of floating fragments of ice knocking and crashing into each other. Just as naturally, there is neither sight nor trace of Rider’s Noble Phantasm, that pride of Nazi occult R&D.

“Credit where it is due,” speaks again The Maid, this time to everyone around her. “Rider is relentless and hard-working. For that and only that he has my utmost praise. Now it’s time for you ladies to leave.”

“What…what was that? What is going in this place?” Magdalena’s very valid questions are a desperate plea for some semblance of common sense in this maddened world of ice and cold.

“…perhaps it would be better for you to simply let what you just saw permeate your mind as a gift from fate.”

The Maid takes Magdalena from Elisabeth’s hold (no longer necessary with the winds calming down). Her embrace is an oasis of relief in the frozen world. Immersed in a feeling she has not experienced in years, Magdalena hopelessly surrenders and sinks into the soft, warm feeling. She will lament it later as an unacceptable moment of weakness, but will console herself in the fact that there is no resisting this person (?).

“I will not stop you if you choose to pursue it, but I do not find a particularly enjoyable or even worthy ordeal. You have other ambitions that inflame the passion in your heart, do you not?”

The Maid’s hand lifts Magdalena by the chin. The Villarrican is wrapped in delight for all the senses: the touch of the softest skin, the most enticing aroma that awakens one’s lust, the mellifluous voice that caresses the ear and addles the mind into imagining the sublime taste of her kisses, and the gleam of inhuman corundum eyes that leave all jewels to shame. At point-blank, subjected to The Maid’s undivided attention, she is the embodiment of all that is desirable.

“This is a realm of trials, but also a place to make your wishes come true,” she continues the Siren’s song. “There are no laws of man here to restrain you, no common sense, morals or rationality to hold you back; I offer you a frozen garden in which you may do as you will.”

Elisabeth looks away from the scene, perhaps to avoid being drawn into the devil’s lure.

The Maid’s words should have raised an alarm in Magdalena’s mind. They will, later, when she goes over this scene with a rational mindset. Right then and there, she is haplessly enraptured. When The Maid rewards her with a chaste kiss on her forehead, it is like electricity striking her body from head to toes, making shudder in orgasmic bliss.

“Go with my blessing. Let love guide you, dear child.”

The puddle that is Magdalena cannot offer even token resistance when pushed away by Servant strength.

“Now, away with you; it is no longer safe for you to be here.”

With a wordless gesture, The Maid commands Elisabeth to take the other woman into the temple’s main chamber, to the secret passage only the two and Caster know. She then regards the ever-silent Avenger.

“That is all it took for her to forget that brother of hers. How adorable.”

Something that could have been a snort echoes out of the helmet. The Maid turns away from the other Servant with a twirl of her criminally-short skirt, to again admire the frozen landscape that is her garden.

“The caged Cherufe will rest unperturbed for a while. It will be interesting to see what becomes of him without his ‘maiden’ around to restrain him. So, what are you going to do now? After that excessive effort against Rider, the girl should be easy pickings.”

Avenger’s answer is crossing his arms and leaning against the wall behind him. The Maid regales him with the briefest of laughs.

“I take it that is the honor of a king? Truly, even in that deplorable form, you remain worthy of my love.”

“What are you after?”

The Maid has no need to react. After all, she already knew the question was coming.

“You know me, sweet child. I seek one and only one thing.”

With hands on her hips, The Maid admires the playground she has assembled—a vast garden of selfishness.

To embrace all of mankind with my passionate feelings.”

(BGM STOP)

Unknown Location
    Severe Cold (-30 °C/-22 °F; external temperature)

Spoiler:
    “That…that is insane.”

Liria did not spend long in seclusion inside a hostel room. The moment she caught the first glimpse of what Maria intended to unleash, she hurried back to the common area. The two old acquaintances watched the beginning and end of the world together.

“Really? I would say few things make more sense.”

“That’s not…I don’t get what you’re saying, but that’s not what I meant.”

“What you mean is that even after witnessing this, you feel it is not enough.”

“…I dunno what I hate more: that creepy clairvoyance of yours, or the fact that you’re always right.”

“Yes, people were always wary of me. Everybody has things they would rather others not know.”

“Even you.”

“Especially me, Liria. But you are absolutely right: while impressive, that was but a mere reproduction lacking the conceptual weight of the Sword of Rupture. Defeating Archer with that power, let alone Alter Ego, is probably impossible.”

Lily sighs.

“That girl, the vessel, must absolutely obtain Saver’s Noble Phantasm.”

“So her Noble Phantasm is even stronger than that?” Liria questions with blatant disbelief. What could possibly be stronger than the abominable power before their very eyes?

“It is not a matter of sheer destructive power, merely the right tool for the right job. It is a conceptual weapon embodying ‘the means by which Saver saved the world’, and we literally need her to save the world again.”

With that explained, Lily regards her fellow blonde next to her.

“You seem to be taking all this in stride, Liria. I expected a puddle of your urine on the floor by now.”

“Of course that won’t happen, idiot.”

The Servant mock gasps. “Don’t tell me, your lewd body has evolved to a point that it can only secrete lubricant—ow.”

“Not in the mood, brat. You know, for all that you call me lewd, maybe I should just push you down and teach you just how lewd I can be.”

“As long as you do not charge me afterwards.”

“Eh?” Liria almost uncorks her head off her neck, so quickly she turned it towards the other girl and her most unexpected response.

“Well, yes. In life my body belonged to the gods, but I would say my duties to them I fulfilled ‘with flying colors’ as you people say. I would say by this point I am allowed to offer my body to whomever I desire.”

“Um, Lily, you are creeping me out. Please stop creeping me out.”

“Then again, there is that horrendous stench like 3600 unwashed Gutian foreskins. It is an absolute mood killer.”

“Now there’s my Lily. And that is an awfully specific number.”

(BGM)

“I must apologize, Liria.”

“Aaand back to creeping me out. Since when do you apologize?”

“I promised you sanctuary, but it seems I have to go out after all.”

That does catch Liria’s attention, telling her that the time for good-natured barbs has ended.

“What is it?”

“Well, that reckless child’s overt display of power has stirred a sleeping beast. That one will not be in a state to be reasoned with, and Saver is not in any condition to handle another Servant after that effort.”

“Oh fuck, you mean the Herald. Ah well, if we gotta fight—”

“You are doing none of that. For starters, Assassin is no good with dogs.”

“Well, yeah, but—”

“And you still need rest.”

“Oh, but I’d say I’ve already recovered a little. I’m sure I can—”

“It is not just your body that needs rest, Liria.”

Liria goes awfully tense when the other girl takes her monstrous right hand in both her own. Lily’s hold is firm, but very, very warm.

“You have a lot in your mind right now. Rest your body, settle your thoughts. The time will come for you to release those strained emotions.”

“Can you defeat the Herald?”

“Why are you even worrying about that? Dwell on the truly important questions, like how many fingers in how many holes you will use to relieve yourself while I am away.”

“Oh, fuck off.”

“I thought you intended to do that to me?”

“Yeah, yeah, I’ll rock your world when you come back,” retorts Liria laughingly while shushing away the insolent young Servant. “Don’t worry about me; I’ve still got Presence Concealment, they won’t find me that easily.”

Lily is still laughing by the time she closes the door behind her, leaving Liria Colhuán to stare at it in silence for the good part of a minute.

It did not elude her.

“Can you defeat the Herald?”

Lancer Lily did not answer that question.

Caster’s Workshop
    Day 03
    Evening Phase – 10
    Severe Cold (-30 °C/-22 °F; external temperature)

Character Status
    Health: Poor
    Sustenance: Stable
    Warmth: Superb (Above-zero room temperature)
    Stamina: Critical
    Regression Level 2

Magic circuits inactive.
    (BGM)

The cave has been immersed in silence for a while. We are all sweating like pigs—this environment cannot be healthy—, but we cannot find it in ourselves to complain. It is a vague thing, the feeling of sweat trickling down my skin.
    Spoiler:
    I can’t take my eyes away. It is beautiful and terrifying, perfect and twisted, glorious and so very lonely. It is everything and nothing; I really cannot put any concrete words on it, I’m just rambling in my mind.

“It’s scary. No, it’s fucking terrifying,” Senta murmurs by my side.

“Yeah.”

“No, you don’t get it.” Senta sounds heartbreakingly sad and defeated. “Even after watching this, I still have the utmost certainty that my creator is stronger. And that’s scary as fuck.”

I…don’t know what to say to that. It’s really too scary to think about.

“It’s…it really sucks. Not having hope.”

We are already holding each other; there is not much more I can do for her.

“Life without hope is no life worth living.”

We never noticed Caster turning their attention to us. The translucent veil does not conceal their calm smile.

“Whether you live a day or a hundred years, you can’t get anywhere without faith.”

“Faith and hope are two different things,” I muse.

“Are they, really?” Caster posits mysteriously before taking a few steps towards the kitchenette. Inevitably, my sight fixates on the vapor curtain, which seems to vibrate under the overwhelming force of the very image it displays.

“That’s…it’s not gonna stay like that forever, is it?” Senta asks the question I admit I have in my mind as well.

“Oh, no, of course not. It is not like it’s the real thing; the World will soon reassert itself,” Caster replies from the other side of the wall.

“Do you know?” I ask the Servant. “What price will she have to pay, for that power?”

“You ask too much of me. Besides, if the girl has made her choice, what point is there in dwelling on it after that fact?”

“Isn’t that a bit too callous?”

“Really? Did not take you for the type to care that much.”

“What do you know about me?” Even I realize I sound a bit too petty right now.

“Enough,” declares Caster as they step into our sight, now carrying a tray with small clay cups. “Here you go.”

It does look like tea at first glance, but…

“What is this?”

“Like I said, an herbal infusion. You should drink it quickly, we don’t have all the time in the world.”

The way they say that…Senta too becomes quite taut next to me.

“What do you mean?”

Caster shrugs.

“Master’s orders. Ah, don’t get me wrong: the orders don’t involve you, but now that you’re here, I have to include you.”

“Priestess. Rider is likely to be defeated this very evening. Should that come to happen, you must disappear until I reach out to you. The Fourth Reich must not take a hold of your Noble Phantasm. Do not let them.”

“So, I can’t stay here any longer, and you probably shouldn’t either.”

“Wait, wait, what’s going on?” Senta takes the word, pushing herself off me. Her attention has been completely pulled out of the screen—the fact that the sky seems to be normalizing at last (well, what’s normal in this singularity thing).

“Our maker is now making a move against the Sovereign? But she—!”

Caster smiles.

“See? The geas has been removed. She has decided there is no reason to conceal herself anymore. Oh, I think we still can’t reveal her identity, though.”

Ah, so it is really as I suspected. Sometimes it sucks to be in the right.

The Maid is the Master of the Singularity, isn’t she?”

The Servant nods.

“Indeed, she is the creator of Senta here, as well as the person who summoned me and the others.”

“And the one who froze the whole damn city.”

“Yes. She is the one who brought the Grail to this land and built the underground base, among other things.”

“I thought you built the base,” inquires Senta.

“Oh, I guess I helped. Now is really not the time for the full explanation. Drink your infusions while we decide where to go from here.”

“No, no, no, I’m not drinking anything before you tell me what it is.”

Caster sighs and rolls their eyes like I’m being unreasonable for being suspicious or something.

“It should help you hasten your intake of ambient magical energy if you activate your circuits, but more importantly, it should help you sidestep your current exhaustion by turning your fat reserves into energy. I believe the modern term is ‘ketosis’.”

That’s…more normal than I expected. Senta is looking at me.

“…you’re not diabetic, are you?”

I shake my head.

“Ah, then it should be fine…?”

If it does what Caster says it does.

“Any side effects?” That you are willing to tell me.

“Um.” Caster brings a finger to their lips. It’s supposed to be a cutesy gesture or the likes, but if this person is a man, then it’s just kind of weird. “Well, it does not replace a proper meal.”

Well, yes. It’s a little like drinking booze to stave off the cold.

“But more importantly, any ideas on where to go?” Caster seats on a cushion in front of me. “I would like to see sweet Liria, but I have no idea where she is.”

“You seem in a bit of a hurry,” Senta points out. Caster shrugs.

“It’s the orders. For all I know someone could already be on its way here. I’d rather not be here when Avenger or, gods forbid, Berserker himself comes here looking for me.”

Somehow, I’m starting to get the idea that this “Fourth Reich” is far from a solid monolith. Rather, isn’t it falling apart on its own? Assassin and Senta already turned their backs to it, and now The Maid is pulling off some move behind their backs, and Caster’s allegiance clearly does not belong to the Nazis, unless they’re pulling off a hell of a performance.

It should be relieving, but it only makes things more confusing. Who is and is not an enemy? Who is the one we are supposed to stop?

“On whose side are you really on?”

“Oh, I merely do what I believe is right,” Caster easily replies. “I am a Servant. I am loyal first and foremost to my own beliefs.”

Of course, an ambiguous an answer as it could be.

“So, any ideas where should we teleport to?”

“Teleport?”

“Oh, yes!” Caster suddenly sounds rather enthusiastic. “It turns out I can teleport in and out of my workshop! I was so surprised when I figured this out; you see, we did not have that kind of magic in my time anymore. Oh, it is truly a shame I have to abandon my workshop, but I might as well make the last teleport count!”

“Um, guys, it’s cool to know we can teleport and all, but, um…what about this fella?” Senta intervenes, shamelessly poking Seigi Nomikata’s forehead. “How long is he supposed to stay out of it?”

“Oh, he is just tired. I would say he underestimated his recent use of magical energy. He really could use some rest,” Caster points out before bringing their fingers together like that rich asshole from The Simpsons. “Or you could give him some of my infusion before waking him up!”

Are they perhaps a little too insistent on having us drink that thing, or is it just my paranoia?

Time for Choices!
    Singularity Map (Strongly suggested to open it in a new browser tab)
    Where are we having Caster take us?

1. Write-in.

Drink Caster’s “herbal infusion” before leaving? (Note: Senta will follow Javier’s choice as well.)

1. Sure.
    2. Nope.

Give Seigi Caster’s “herbal infusion” before leaving?

1. Sure!
    2. Nah.

Wake Seigi up before leaving?

1. Yeah.
    2. It’s not necessary.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    ...Too much to think about. I must ponder.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    I wonder whose Alter Ego the Maid is. My first thought was Tiamat, but that seems way too simple.

1. The Hostel. I wanna see what's up with that explosion.
    1. CHUG CHUG CHUG CHUG - What's the worst that could happen when converting HP to MP? Twice in one day even!
    1. CHUG CHUG CHUG CHUG
    2. Nah, he's good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

US Friend Code
    2. Ruins of Errázuriz
    1. CHUG CHUG CHUG CHUG
    - We need to all be in better condition it looks like things are coming to a head
    1. CHUG CHUG CHUG CHUG
    2. Nah, he's good. - We can wake him later if he's needed, for now let him rest. Especially if Lancer Lily starts draining him when she starts fighting.

Now would be a good time to Teleport to Maria so that we can meet up, our Servant Bond does not let us communicate with her in the slightest and while it lets both of us track each other Maria has bigger things on her mind at the moment.

Best to go to her now and tell her the truth about Everything, especially since Saver knows the majority of the important things.

Who knows when she'll have the time to track us down again, especially since she put our safety first it resulted in the death of Alicia which sucks after all the work we put into save her. Somehow I doubt Oliver will be pleased if he finds out Maria could have tried to kill Rider sooner but didn't out of worry about us.

I do have to wonder a lot more about the Maid now, she clearly is a lot more invested than us than she lets on especially since she considers us her student after a single lesson. If we meet her again we'd clearly need to focus on learning more magecraft although that only really works if she isn't an enemy.

Probably not reasonable especially since at this point I'm wondering if the Maid isn't Kiara which would fit all the clues so far and make this even more dangerous.

The update mentions Errázuriz Avenue is where Maria is right now. Considering how weakened she is it's unlikely she's gone extremely far especially since the bond between us will let her know we teleported near her.

Considering the last critical choice I think now is an important time to talk to Maria, the only thing I'm really wondering about is how Caster and Senta will be treated and if it will be the breaking point where she won't believe anything we say.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Bird of Hermes's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    2 - Ruins
    2 - No (But take it with us)
    2 - No (But be prepared to)

With choice 1 that's where Maria is, Javier and Maria are gonna need each others backs physically and emotionally.

With 2, general rule of thumb is not to accept drinks from strangers but keep it on hand in case we need it later.

As for 3 (trying to keep metagaming to a minimum with my own character is hard), Seigi doesn't have the highest capacity all by himself so every second counts unless Daneel throws a curveball here.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    2 - Ruins

Copying what Hermes is saying. I don't really think drinking Caster's experiments is going to be helpful.

And Maria needs our support.

We still haven't found Sakura yet, have we?

So Many Ideas, So Little Time SleepMode's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    2 - Ruins
    The Act of dozing off in the afternoon is a luxury indeed.
    Coffee would be nice, though.

[Collection of my Servant Sheets]
    Now Revamped!

Ruins
    Don't drink but let Seigi drink it
    Leave him behind

JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    All y'all too scared to CHUG

no fun at parties, I can tell
    canon finish apo vol 3

Where are we having Caster take us? The hostel's ruins.
    Drink Caster’s “herbal infusion” before leaving?
    Sure.
    Give Seigi Caster’s “herbal infusion” before leaving?
    Sure!
    Wake Seigi up before leaving?
    Yeah.

2 - Ruins

US Friend Code
    194,434,580 - IGN Ritsuka
    Blog Entries
    2 - Ruins

Also, how’d Alicia end up dead?
    Likes attention, shiny objects, and... a ball of yarn?
    F/GO Supports

I joined two years too late...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok View Post
    That makes me think of Rin as a loan shark.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok View Post
    Admittedly, she'd probably be the hottest loan shark you'll ever meet. She'd probably make you smile as she sucked you dry.

Oh dear, that doesn't sound like yuri at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Techlet View Post
    Not with that attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Draconic View Post
    2 - Ruins

Also, how’d Alicia end up dead?
    Rider dropped a bomb on the house because we didn't make Saver poof him immediately.

Time to burn some dread Daneel Rush's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Caster’s Workshop
    Day 03
    Evening Phase – 11
    Severe Cold (-32 °C/-26 °F; external temperature)

Character Status
    Warmth: Superb (Above-zero room temperature)
    Regression Level 2

Magic circuits inactive.
    (BGM)

“We’re going to where Maria is. Would you take us there?”

I guess I really am worried. And Caster does not seem to mind, if their shrug means anything.

“As good a plan as any. Are you drinking that, or did I waste my time being a proper host?”

“I thought we were your prisoners,” retorts Senta back.

“Oh, absolutely, but that in no way would excuse poor manners.”

“We can just take it with us, drink it if we truly need it,” I propose, and I immediately get rather stinging looks. Did I…say something stupid?

“Um, Seigi, love,”

Who the hell’s your love.

“You do realize liquids freeze out there, don’t’cha?” points out Senta as she reluctantly moves to put on the thicker shirt she had relinquishes in this sauna of a cave.

…wait. Huh.

“Besides, there is no point in drinking it without giving it time to be digested and absorbed by the body,” Caster explains. “And how do you intend to carry that young man while holding those cups?”

“What if we have to run? What if we have to fight?” Senta adds. “I don’t think it’s very practical.”

Alright, alright, so we’re not taking the things. Still not drinking it. Instead I follow Senta’s cue and dress up myself. Wearing these winter clothes in this cave for any period of time is utter torture. Going back to the freezing cold after a bout in this sauna cannot possibly be healthy.

And now, Mister Nomikata. Yes, I guess the guy needs his rest. More work for me, though.

“Javier!”

My knee strikes the floor the moment Nomikata’s weight rests on my back, to the point I evoke Senta’s worry. Carrying him between two people would be too clumsy, though.

“Oh, you do not expect a feeble priestess to carry him, do you?” says Caster the moment my eyes rest on them. Asshole.

Fuck, this is no good. The heat, the steam, the sweat, the load on my back. I already feel dizzy. After Maria took all my magical energy, I might just hit my limit any moment now.

Not yet.

I just…I just want to know Maria is alright…

“Oh well, ready or not, it is time to depart.”

“Wait, what about that girl you’ve been looking for?”

Sakura. God damn it.

“I…don’t think we’ll be able to find her right now,” I admit. “I can only hope she is okay, wherever she is.”

Errázuriz Avenue
    Severe Cold (-32 °C/-26 °F)

(BGM)

Maria Westinghouse is too aware of everything.

The scent of ozone and dust in the air.

The winds disturbed, swirling haphazardly even as the world settles back down.

The groaning and cracking of the frozen ocean as it breaks apart into countless islands.

Her ragged, audible breathing as she holds her sword with both hands as a cane.

The heaviness of every single muscle in her body.

She catches the sound of something stumbling on the uneven ground of Errázuriz Avenue, now littered with the wreckage of every single structure in the vicinity. Probably one of Assassin’s zombies.

She is so tired.

She is tired in ways no other human being could ever conceive, because none will ever stand where she just stood. All who witness Enûma Eliš are humble by its horrific magnificence.

They all watch it from a safe distance.

Maria stood there, right and center, in the midst of its Hadean vision of a world before a world; a realm that does not know the idea of life, where the air is fire and the soil lava. And a single, distant star: the origin and source of all. It was merely a shadow of a reflection of the real thing, but this girl has gotten closer to it than most magi in their whole lifetimes.

There is a reason that power was only grasped by the greatest, most ancient hero. It is not something an immature girl from Queens was ever meant to wield.

The price was paid. The experience itself was the price.

How painful it is, to touch transcendence and know oneself hopelessly unworthy.

How grievous it is, to hold the world in one’s hands and thus realize it is pathetically small.

How crushing it is, to stand on the precipice of humanity and come to face with the paths we were never meant to tread.

Maria Westinghouse stood alone in the midst of Enûma Eliš, and has been forever changed because of it. She stands alone in the ruined city, like she has truly destroyed the world and is the sole lifeform remaining.

The song of shattering ice is slow and dull. The song of the dancing winds is shrill and haphazard. Neither smothers the lone sniff of the single soul standing in the epicenter of madness.

That is all.

Maria Westinghouse allows herself no more.

Not while the battle remains unfinished.

It is peaceful, in the way only a post-apocalyptic landscape can be.

And then the air is stirred. Accumulations of magical energy poke her Servant’s inhuman perception at the same time uneven footsteps strike the unjustly punished concrete.

She is no longer alone.

But is that really the truth?

Character Status
    Warmth: Good
    Regression Level 2

Magic circuits inactive.
    I don’t get to complain about the cold. Senta doesn’t get to worry about my falling on my knees again (I’m just so, fucking, tired). Caster remains serene, undaunted by the torturous change in temperature, but their body is taut.

Her stare is paralyzing. She is a wreck, holding to that sword stuck on the ground like it’s the only thing keeping her on her two feet, but those eyes that are not really hers…even at her weakest, Saver’s power is truly frightening.

She is hesitant. I am the sole reason. To my right is a girl in Nazi uniform. To my left stands a Servant. I didn’t really think this through.

“Servant Saver.”

I’m too tired to glare at Caster. What the hell is she thinking?

“I am not the Servant you should worry about at the moment. Eyes ahead.”

What comes from behind that mask is a snarl that does not belong to a human being. However, she does not attack, nor does she question me. She turns her back to us and faces the frozen sea—

(BGM)

“Fuck!” Senta’s very Maria-like expletive when something large surges out of the sea and into the sky like a goddamn rocket.

“Ha!” Maria’s kiai. She needs it to pull her sword out of the concrete and actually stand on her own two legs. Her legs bend inwards for a moment, but she pushes herself forward. She is on the brink.

“Maria—!”

The large object lands with a mighty tremor, to present itself as yet another example of this frozen world’s absurdity.

Spoiler:
    A robot? Some…mechanical humanoid about three meters tall, elastic tubes feeding it with some unrecognizable vital fluid. The whirring of servos and hissing of valves surround him; its own artificial aura as if intending to match the golden radiance no longer present around Maria.

But I don’t even get the chance to feel intimidated by the thing. Just as it lands, it stumbles and drops to one knee. Sparks jump along its bulk as pieces of metal break down and fall like dandruff. This absurd…robot thing is on its last legs. As a piece of its torso breaks apart, the human-shaped machine reveals its contents—no, it’s pilot?

“I thought you were an engineer, not a cockroach, Doktor Kammler.”

“Girl…” It comes out more a growl than a man’s voice. “What in tarnation was that Noble Phantasm?”

Maria responds with a half-hearted chuckle, ignoring his question to voice her own thoughts.

“Man, you’ve really got all the bullshit. That’s the body armor meant to be used for physical labor in outer space, for a hypothetical Operation Bifrost. What’s its name again?”

The man who I presume is Rider glares at Maria for a few moments.

“…Siegfriedsgeist. I really did a poor job of disposing of all documents.”

“Nah, the Church’s just that good at digging out weird shit.”

It is hard to tell from this distance, but by the way Senta stiffens and hides behind me, I think Rider has now placed his attention on our merry group. And seriously, Senta, behind me? Behind the guy who is about to drop for carrying a guy who is already out of commission?

“Caster.”

“I am not getting involved in this,” promptly declares the lightly dressed “priestess”. “I have no orders to fight. Not like I could do much in a fight in the first place.”

Rider says nothing else. His stare lingers, however. No, he is not looking at Caster anymore—!

A thunderous sound. The flash of a blade. The scent of ozone and golden streaks. I’m not sure what just happened, but Maria has saved my life again. Rider, he shot me with…what?

“Now you’ve done it, Kammler…!” roars Maria at the armored Servant, whose right arm is now smoking along with the whirring of servos.

“You blocked it,” says Rider like he doesn’t believe it. Well damn right she blocked it.

“I told you,” declares Maria. “I figured out all your tricks. I know why your spells make it through my Magic Resistance. Won’t let you hit me ever again.”

Rider inside his “power armor” slowly rises back on his feet. Like Maria, he is weakened, but refuses to be defeated. They are both struggling, to stand and to pretend they’re not at their limit. And I…I can only watch. I am at the limit of my stamina; even if I figured out some way to help Maria, I don’t have the energy to pull it off. I can’t even…my sight has gotten blurry since a while ago—

—yet I still have it in me to be startled by a rumbling, explosive sound. Even Maria and Rider are shaken out of their glare-off, everyone in unison turning our gazes westwards. That’s…in the direction of Concepción Hill, isn’t it? What the hell’s going on now?

“Oh…”

“Caster! What was that?” I won’t believe you if you say you don’t know, by the way!

“Tha-that is…”

Caster doesn’t get the chance to answer me.

(BGM STOP)

(BGM)

It fills the air; ominous and foreboding. Like a war horn, like the judge’s hammer and the king’s proclamation. Wordless, yet bearing deep significance. It fills the heart with trepidation, for it unequivocally declares that the time of death has come. It lacks the fundamental horrific majesty of Saver’s super attack, but what it lacks in conceptual weight, it makes up in how simple and visceral it is: the howl of an apex predator strikes those caveman instincts that will never fully fade away.

We’re gonna die.

We’re gonna die.

A monster is on the loose, and it’s gonna kill us all…!

I do not fall on my knees simply because I am already on my knees. Senta joins me in supplicant posture, but while I struggle against the body’s urge to vomit, Senta shrieks and pulls at her fair hair.

The wind itself answers the beast’s howl. I hear myself whimper.

Cold.

The wind rises and swirls and dances as if celebrating the beginning of the deathly hunt. I can feel it: it’s getting colder…colder…too cold…!

Wise Up! (Herald of Fimbulwinter) + Major Status Change
    Howl of the End – EX
    The hound’s howl that announces the coming of the endtimes. In the Völuspá, the ungodly howl is the prelude to Fimbulwinter. The explicit announcement of the end, comparable to the trumpets of Christian eschatology, threatens the minds of those who took their lives and deaths for granted. It has little effect on Heroic Spirits, but no matter how much they may claim otherwise, mortals are simply not prepared for the end of the world.

Truly, the Herald invokes the harsh winter at the end of the Norse Age of Gods upon a reduced area. The more distant her surroundings are from the dire Fimbulwinter in her soul, the more limited the manifestation of this power, and vice versa. In a sufficiently wintry environment, this Skill initiates a magical blizzard not even Servants can ignore. Within the wintry field upon which the fated warriors march, they all share the same doom, nobody elevated over anybody else. Creatures within the field of winter cannot benefit from magical boons of power (buff denial, in videogame lingo).

The Howl of the End carries an additional effect: as narrated in the Völuspá, when the hound howls aloud, its fetters will burst, and the hound runs free. The activation of this Skill immediately nullifies all other effects and conditions that would restrain, hamper or limit the Herald’s movement.

Warmth: Good -> Critical
    Warning! Severe magical weather conditions can only be overcome through magical means.
    “Oh, this…this isn’t good…!”

A snowfall…? No, this is the beginning of a blizzard! A new resounding impact echoes from the west. Is…somebody fighting?

“Ah…aah…please…I, I don’t wanna die…” murmurs Senta amidst tears. Nomikata shudders in his unconsciousness. At this rate he’ll never wake up again.

A golden aura washes over us, and for a moment a hint of warmth ignites in my body…but it’s not enough. It can’t stop the painful chattering of my teeth, nor the freezing of my snot and tears. My very breath solidifies the moment it leaves my air path; at this rate I’m gonna choke!

Spoiler:
    Warmth: Critical -> Poor
    “This…this is my limit!?”

They sound surprised; this horrific cold is stronger than their magic. Caster…this cold is getting even to Caster…then those two…!

“Curses!” Rider’s already-damaged machine is further hampered by the cold. It is a perfect opportunity, but Maria…

“Shit….shit…!”

…is on her knee. Taking down that flying saucer was the hardest part, but now she is too tired to capitalize on it.

Another earth-shaking impact from the west. Something’s definitely happening over there…!

“The Herald…and another Servant I don’t know…no, is that…?” Caster mutters to my left. The Herald has something to do with this mess? That girl’s nothing but trouble!

I…I have to do something. Help Maria, stop the Herald…no, before I can even think of either of those things, I have to overcome this cold before it kills me. Everyone has stood still for the good part of a minute, struggling to cope with this killing cold, but it is a matter of time until something happens. Otherwise we’ll all just drop dead here!

I need magecraft. But I know my body is too tired to turn on the magic switch. I can’t aim for the impossible.

“Uwaaaaaaargh!” Maria shouts wildly, an incoherent sound that exudes superhuman will. Responding to that foremost wish, her body once more explodes in a torrent of golden radiance.

“I’m not done with you yet, Kammler!”

“Took the words right out of my mouth, girl.” The power armor too straightens, even as blood covers the face of the man piloting it. “This armor was made to be used in outer space. It can withstand this cold long enough to crush you.”

The only reason Rider still exists is because the double-layered protection of the flying saucer and that armored suit spared him from the worst of that absurd, transcendental attack. He is severely wounded, but Maria is virtually out of fuel.

Maria and Rider circle each other cautiously. They know the other is also on the brink. Both hesitate to make the first move. Maria keeps her legs spread, center of gravity closer to the ground—she fears her legs will give in at the worst moment. The movements of Rider’s armor are irregular and twitchy.

The clock keeps ticking. Senta cannot even rub her own hands together. Nomikata looks awfully white. We are being smothered by snow and bone-chilling, buffeting winds. Caster fares a bit better, but they clearly are also out of ideas. Guess they really are not that strong a Servant.

Is this okay? Can I count on Maria to defeat this man, and then stop the Herald or whoever is causing this deathly cold? But what can I do…?

…no. The answer is obvious.

The Divine Seed of Flame.

Tap not into my life force and magical power, but into the godly flame residing within me. If I could reach deeper, more closely, more intimately, I could perhaps gain the power to do something.

But, is that really a good idea? The Maid warned me; it would be reckless to tap deeper into the flame before I receive her instruction. On the other hand, she is the Master of the Singularity; should I listen to her advice in the first place?

All power comes with a cost. Even if I tap into the flame and “save the day”, can I afford the cost?

I…

I…

I…!

Choice Time
    1. …entrust my fate to the power divine. (Try to tap deeper into the flame.)
    2. …entrust myself to fate as a human. (Don’t tap into the divine flame.)

JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Told you guys we should've chugged.

canon finish apo vol 3

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Bird of Hermes's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Ah well. In for a penny, in for a pounding.

1 - Become As Gods

So Many Ideas, So Little Time SleepMode's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The Act of dozing off in the afternoon is a luxury indeed.
    Coffee would be nice, though.

[Collection of my Servant Sheets]
    Now Revamped!

US Friend Code
    False face must hide what the false heart doth know.

And yeah, we really should have drunk the potion. I mean, Caster already had Javier at their mercy, what good would it do to try and play it safe?