Time to burn some dread Daneel Rush's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Anibal Pinto Square, Prat, Valparaíso
    Day 03
    Afternoon Phase - 05
    Severe Cold (-19 °C/-2.2 °F)

(BGM)

Spoiler:
    Maria Westinghouse does not hesitate. Her power encourages going ever forward, being relentless and overcoming all obstacles with her unstoppable power.

Decisively, she charges forward, sword poised to cut the monster in half. Then, the creature howls: body crouched low, lungs filling with air, and a grotesquely wide jaw wholly opened. Breathing is expelled as pressure waves, yet no sound comes out of its mouth.

The world collapses around it.

Snow all but disintegrates, revealing concrete that cracks in spider-web-like crisscrossing lines. Nearby buildings shudder, crack, and in the case of the nearest ones, utterly shatter and collapse, pulling whole squads of Nazi soldiers to their doom. Debris rains and floats, mixes with the dispersed snow, and creates a thick white cloud that conceals everything. Maria is completely paralyzed, her own body vibrating violently, her bones complaining as they, too, are riddled with microfissures. Her eyes shudder like they wish to jump out of her face. Countless capillaries break, tinting her eyes and skin a deathly red.

When the “howling” ends, and the beast lunges at her, there is nothing she can do. The swatting of its clawed hand launches her backwards like a ragdoll, striking the wall of the very same house where Javier Lucero met Sakura Edelfelt at terrible speed.

Maria coughs as she pushes herself on her hands and feet. Her back is killing her, dust sneaks up her nostrils, and the house around her groans as it has lost its front wall.

“Fuck, that SOB hits like a motherfucker,” she mutters between bouts of coughing. Her body is still out of it, struggling to listen to her mind’s commands.

“That…wasn’t magecraft…”

No, it was the very physical phenomenon of mechanical resonance disaster, and therefore not subject to Saver’s superlative Magic Resistance. She has no time to put thought into it, though, as the white and grey cloud of debris and snow surrounding her is forcefully replaced by a foul, vilely colored gas.

“Poison!?”

Maria quickly brings her free hand to her face, as if it could do a better job than the mask already covering her nose and mouth. Her next mistake is trusting her high Endurance to keep her safe until she gets out of the poison gas.

She does not see the creature finish expelling the gas from its distended maw, and then stretch a single arm into the dark-colored cloud. She does not see it flick its dire claws, creating the smallest spark.

The very inflammable gas ignites, swallowing Maria, and the entire house, in a gigantic fireball.

(BGM STOP)

A block away from the Drake Family Residence

The last soldier breaks apart, shattering into worthless particles of magical energy. A long, sinuous stinger pulls away, no longer piercing through the artificial soldier’s chest. It was the soldier’s mistake to attack, but can it be called a mistake if they are only capable of obeying instructions? They were commanded to attack a creature that otherwise would not have paid them any heed, and were effortlessly undone by their insolence. Their bullets, enchanted with a rune of death capable of harming even Servants, harmlessly bounced off the creature’s carapace-like skin. Then again, even if the bullets do not pierce, the “concept of death” imbued upon them should be able to act solely on contact.

Yet, the soldiers are no longer, and the monster still stands.

Spoiler:
    The creature has only one prerogative and obeys a single command: to end all life. The powers bestowed upon it by its almighty mother allow it to track all living things, and its eyes are fixated on the two-story house in the distance, less than a hundred meters ahead. It is only vaguely aware of the slow, lifeless figure skulking around, watching it from behind broken windows and nearby ceilings. It pays no attention to the vaguely human-sized lumps in the snow-covered streets.

Its calm, predatory march towards its targets is only interrupted when a figure leaps from a nearby ceiling to land some ten meters ahead of it.

(BGM)

The aged, filthy cloak cannot hide her feminine figure, nor the tuffs of platinum blonde hair poking out of her hood, nor the abject hostility blazing in her demonic red eyes.

“You are not touching him—them! You are not touching them,” she declares, scratching her cheek over the hood while skittishly looking around for witnesses to her faux pas.

She knows, however, that it is an empty gesture. The creature will not turn back, nor will it be cowed by her presence. If anything, she has just become a more immediate target.

Two monstrous arms emerge from inside the cloak, grown to bizarre proportions, each hand almost as large as her trunk. The hands look swollen and malformed, and the skin is tinted as if the limbs were terribly broken, and every blood vessel within had been torn apart. But, it is not the appearance of the limbs that elicits a reaction from the monster.

It is that which envelops them.

A dark, unhallowed aura surges out of the scorpion man’s body, swirling and biting the air with primordial might.

Melam. Of course.” Assassin mutters matter-of-factly. “Well, sorry for not having a battle aura. I don’t belong to that ridiculous ancient Mesopotamian texture. Unfortunately for you,”

That which envelops Assassin’s arms seeps out in greater amounts, a deep, thick, syrupy darkness that devours all light, all purity, all that is right and proper in the world.

“I have something way more dangerous.”

Monster and Servant charge at each other, and countless undead leap out of their hiding spots to throw themselves at their master’s dire enemy.

Drake Family Residence

Character Status
    Health: Good
    Sustenance: Good
    Warmth: Good
    Stamina: Good
    Regression Level 1
    (BGM)

There have been no major sounds of fighting after that massive explosion I heard on the way here. On the other hand, Maria is still not here, and there is no guarantee of her arriving any time soon. However…

“Sakura, you saw what happened last time. Can you…really deal with that?”

The Eastern beauty shrugs lamely.

“Somebody has to. That explosion earlier was Maria, wasn’t she? If she is fighting a Servant, then we really cannot burden her with this as well. I’ll do it.”

“Do you even have a plan?”

Sakura glances at her gloved hands. It is impossible to tell what goes through her mind, but there is clearly a profound story behind her gaudy hand wear. She has people awaiting her outside of this frozen city, plenty of reasons to survive at all costs. Yet, she is willing to endanger herself for the possibility, not even the certainty, to save a person she just met a few days ago.

It is hard to believe, and even harder to accept, that there are still people like Sakura Edelfelt in this world. Perhaps, it is people like her who should own the world.

Eventually, she takes off the right glove, the one adorned with a large red gem, and stores it in her jacket’s pocket. She clenches and relaxes her left hand several times, her eyes still fixated on the colorless gem.

“…something like that.”

She looks at the ice block, and the vaguely visible figure within.

“I owe it to Mrs. Alicia.”

No, you don’t. This is in no way a proportionate payment for a family’s hospitality.

“Please let me do this.”

Please don’t look at me like that. I feel minuscule in your presence.

Sakura Edelfelt might just be the strongest person in this frozen Valparaiso.

“…alright. Let’s do this.”

Again, I sit cross-legged in front of the ice block. Sakura stands to my right, right hand wrapped around her left wrist, eyes fixated on the clenched fist. However, I can no longer worry about Sakura. I have my own part to deal with. It is time to turn on the magic.

I call upon the feeling: my arms, burning as if submerged in boiling water. All sensation in my arms is replaced by unbearable pain, just before that same pain leaps to my face—

Öffne,” murmurs Sakura to my side.

It is warm. Warmth spreads from the center of my chest throughout my body. It is intense, yet doesn’t feel wasteful anymore. This flame belongs to me.

Status Change
    Warmth: Good -> Optimal
    Magic circuits active.
    I wait, all the while tending to the flame, stoking it with my will, readying it for its eventual purpose. This fire…is no longer just my life. It is something else, something greater than me. I cannot fear it; if I fear it, it will consume me. I must make it my own, but, what cost will I have to pay for that privilege?

Es gehört nicht zu dieser Welt.
    Es lehnt alles ab, was nicht von dieser Welt ist.
    Es ist das Licht des Falschen, das alle falschen Dinge verschlingt.

It is the first time I listen to a magical incantation. Thinking of it, I have yet to see Maria’s magecraft. Then again, when she has the powers of an ancient, legendary hero, there is little need for the talents of a magus.

What is the purpose of those words? What does Sakura intend to do? I guess I’m about to find out—

(BGM STOP)

(SFX)

The explosion brings everybody out of our concentration, Sakura all but jumping on the spot.

That was close.

That was way too fucking close. A block away, tops.

Sakura looks down at me, likely mirroring my thoughts in her mind. What—

(BGM)

Spoiler:
    For a moment, it is like the sun has risen again, piercing through the snow and ice, bathing everything in gold. Oliver cries out, blinded as everybody else, myself included. Even with my back to the outside world, such is the intensity of this sudden flash that my retinas are flooded with white.

My sight is gone, but my hearing works just fine. Like the thunder that follows lightning, the golden flash is followed by a scream, a shout, a war cry, a celebration and a promise, all within a single, prolonged sound that fills the frozen city. Louder than any explosion, the inhuman sound makes my stomach sink and my body hair stand to attention. The inner flame flickers as if humbled, and a sheen of cold sweat rapidly forms, and is just as rapidly absorbed by the innermost layer of clothing.

“Wha…wha…” Oliver murmurs somewhere to the side. He is afraid. I can’t blame him. I am terrified. It is the cold certainty which chills the heart. The complete assurance that something terrible has happened, is happening, and will happen very soon. The death of hope, and the world unraveling around you. This sound is all those things.

The embodiment of all disasters.

It is a sound no human being should be able to make. But it is unmistakably a sound made by a human being.

“Mister Javier…”

Sakura’s trembling voice is the direst of omens. I feel her hand on my shoulder. It is the ungloved right hand, so she must have turned towards the single entrance and exit to Oliver Drake’s workshop. Has she already regained her sight? No, that’s not important.

She knows. She can tell. Of course she can tell, she is probably more perceptive of these things, and even I can tell.

“Mister Javier, that is…!”

Yes, it is.

“Maria…!”

Critical Choice
    Warning!
    Quest Players have lost control over Maria Westinghouse’s actions.

Javier’s next action:

1. We gotta hurry. We melt this ice, and we melt it now.
    2. That explosion near here is worrisome. Gotta check our surroundings before we try anything.
    3. Something awfully wrong has happened to Maria. I have to help her anyway I can.
    4. It’s too fucking dangerous here. I’m out. (Indicate where Javier runs away to)
    5. Write-in.

Last edited by Daneel Rush; February 2nd, 2019 at 12:04 PM.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Bird of Hermes's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Uh oh, bad choice was made. 3, saving Maria is our top priority without her we are seven degrees of screwed.

3. The Mesopotamian demon is probably Pazuzu.

3. The Buster meta has finally failed ?!

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Whoops, should've picked Quick. Also oh joy, Girtabilu.

Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    Whoops, should've picked Quick. Also oh joy, Girtabilu. 1
    Huh, I guess he could just be a scorpion-man, not THE scorpion-man.

Nah, you know what? I'm changing my vote to 1. We may not have another chance to save Drake's wife, and we should trust Maria.

But is Drake's wife really that worth saving to the point that we risk a chance of Maria dying because of it?

JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DRFan View Post
    But is Drake's wife really that worth saving to the point that we risk a chance of Maria dying because of it?
    Not gonna lie it'd be pretty funny if Daneel just went 'okay folks maria's dead time for one of those endings you unlocked quest over good day sirs and madams' but I don't see that happening.

So there's good odds we can reload our save if everything goes pear-shaped.
    canon finish apo vol 3

So Many Ideas, So Little Time SleepMode's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Like what Raff said, there's always a save point.
    The Act of dozing off in the afternoon is a luxury indeed.
    Coffee would be nice, though.

[Collection of my Servant Sheets]
    Now Revamped!

Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    Not gonna lie it'd be pretty funny if Daneel just went 'okay folks maria's dead time for one of those endings you unlocked quest over good day sirs and madams' but I don't see that happening.

So there's good odds we can reload our save if everything goes pear-shaped.
    True. I forgot about the existence of saves. I'll change my vote to 1 ​then.

US Friend Code
    194,434,580 - IGN Ritsuka
    Blog Entries
    We’ve got a Save Point.

And as much as I have sympathy for the passing fairy, her horde of zombies can’t protect me from a missile.

In case things go sideways and someone dies…
    I just want to reiterate my previous suggestion for the critical choice:
    Quote Originally Posted by Draconic View Post
    Javier: Gather as many of our supplies as I can shove in a bag, then climb onto the roof of the house, and give the enemy just enough of an indication that I’m there for them to focus on me. The tank firing will be Maria’s signal to move. The house itself however is useless to us now that the Nazis know it’s a point of interest for us. I may not be a match for a crowd of Nazi soldiers, but I might be able to expedite the house’s collapse and take a few of them with it by adding to any blazes that the first and second missiles started. It’s possible that the tank will fire if they notice the whole house burning too, so I’ll need to get out if there fast. I’ll take the hole that Maria should have made to follow her. The tank firing for the second time will be Maria’s next cue. The rest is up to her.

Maria: When the tank fires again, I’ll use the noise as a cover to conceal the sound of an attractive girl crashing through two exterior walls into the house directly south of us, from the second floor, because I’m just awesome like that. Then Javier will bait our new friends and start a fire. When I see that, or when the tank fires again, I’ll jump through a second floor window, and ideally land on top of it. I can take some heat from the mooks if it means I can get inside the tank. Once I do that, well, the guys inside probably don’t have a hope in hell of fighting off a Demi-Servant.
    The result, if we aren’t both dead, is that we have a fancy new car with lots of killing power that can be listed among our assets. If we’re really lucky, we might even be stealing someone’s Noble Phantasm.

Lets commandeer that tank!
    If there’s combat, Arts is the way to go since Javier’s strategy can probably count as an Arts buff.
    Tell me if I’m missing anything here. Improvememts on Operation Grand Theft Cyclone Cannon would be more than welcome. Alternatively, if Maria can make the jump from this house, even better, we can skip the part about her jumping into the second house.

Alternatively, there’s always the option of Maria just charging through the walls of the nearby houses until we get to the road at which point we just pray we don’t get hit until we can get to cover again.
    Last edited by Draconic; February 5th, 2019 at 06:39 PM.
    Likes attention, shiny objects, and... a ball of yarn?
    F/GO Supports

I joined two years too late...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok View Post
    That makes me think of Rin as a loan shark.
    Admittedly, she'd probably be the hottest loan shark you'll ever meet. She'd probably make you smile as she sucked you dry.

Oh dear, that doesn't sound like yuri at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Techlet View Post
    Not with that attitude.

No save scumming! We will play this fairly.

US Friend Code
    194,434,580 - IGN Ritsuka
    Blog Entries
    Only if Maria dies. I just want to refine this strategy while there’s still time for it. If we suffer a terrible fate, I want to have the best strategy possible in place for when we try again.
    Likes attention, shiny objects, and... a ball of yarn?
    F/GO Supports

I joined two years too late...
    That makes me think of Rin as a loan shark.
    Admittedly, she'd probably be the hottest loan shark you'll ever meet. She'd probably make you smile as she sucked you dry.

Oh dear, that doesn't sound like yuri at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Techlet View Post
    Not with that attitude.

Time to burn some dread Daneel Rush's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    ????

She sinks.

Alone, in the darkest sea untouched by the sun, she sinks.

Departed from consciousness, she feels not the bitter cold, nor does she feel asphyxiation. There is nothing in her world, her senses dampened by the very waters that seem to welcome all things, only to unmake them. All things are born of the sea, but the sea, too, wipes away all things. This sea is the womb of darkness which accepts everything, and from which all things are born.

She sinks.

She sinks, unaware of anything, to become nothing.

But, she is not alone.

It rises from the impenetrable, fathomless depths. It has no form, yet it cannot pass unnoticed. A pair of gargantuan arms, darker than the sunless sea itself. They are made of cinders, ash, and debris, of rage, hunger and lamentation. They hum with the unreleased roar of the storm, the unstoppable flood, and the songs of war. They reek of shed blood, of burnt barley fields, of kings slain and oaths broken.

They belong to disaster. They are the arms of strife.

The arms, its arms, grab her—Maria Westinghouse—and drag her to the darkest depths.

Corner of Templeman and Pilcomayo, Concepción Hill, Valparaíso
    Severe Cold (-18 °C/-0.5 °F)

(BGM)

It was a quick battle, decided in mere moments. Assassin does not have the means for a protracted fight.

She is collapsed under the doorframe of a two-story house that probably was very pretty before everything froze. The door, worn out by the sheer cold, broke apart upon impact with her back. Her surroundings are enveloped in floating snow particles, raised by the explosion unleashed by her Noble Phantasm. Nevertheless, the whiteness surrounding her is tinted in gold.

“Well, shit. What is that girl up to now?”

The manifested radiance is more than a simple light spectacle. Even from a considerable distance, the Servant Saver radiates power and presence, almost as if she were standing mere feet away. It is a rumbling presence, like the war drums of an entire barbarian horde. It carried within itself a premonition of great disaster, an omen of great suffering.

“Damn, so I was right, after all—” Assassin’s words are interrupted by a fit of coughing, which itself ends in a groan, as her body gives up on its attempt to get up.

Assassin is the weakest Servant in this Singularity by far. She might just be one of the weakest Servants, period. If she fights a creature born for combat, it is obvious she will just take a beating.

This is a good thing, Assassin rationalizes. If Saver fully manifests, and thus can perform at her utmost, then she can just rampage freely, beat the crap out of everyone, and put an end to this frozen mess. However, what will then happen to Maria Westinghouse?

Yet, as the snow settles, Assassin notices that Maria Westinghouse might not be the most immediate of her troubles.

Spoiler:
    The creature still stands, unharmed by her Noble Phantasm.

“Well, crap,” she murmurs. “Is it immunity to curses…no.”

A long sigh of defeat escapes her lips.

“The concept that sustains your existence…is imbued with greater mystery. Figures.”

She has completely lost, and her opponent was not even a Servant. However, fortune has smiled upon her, for the scorpion man seems to be more drawn to the ominous divine radiance rising like a golden blaze taller than Concepción Hill. Indeed, a moment later, it departs, leaving Assassin alone and in pain.

“Well there you—ugh—there you go. Softened him for ya, Saver.”

Without the fear of looming death, the girl can reassess her situation. She considers Maria, and Saver, and the monsters. She thinks of the Nazi reaction to this new threat, as well as to Saver’s emergence. A stray thought goes to Lancer; has he already stopped by Caster workshop?

Of course, she thinks of Javier. What if he chooses to go to Maria?

“Fuck…” she groans, against pushing her body to get up, this time with a bit more success. “That’d be bad. Fuck, why am I so weak!? I didn’t even get poisoned—!”

Her rant to nobody comes to a sudden halt. The sound of several sets of heavy footsteps tells her everything she needs to know, and she promptly surrenders again, letting her body fall on the cold floor of the house she invaded against her wall.

Facing the ceiling, she calmly waits for the group of soldiers in gas masks to surround her, their automatic guns poised to slay her. Not that they will outright kill her.

“Haa, I guess I’m under arrest,” she says tiredly, his smile tinged with resignation. The soldiers must have already informed Rider about Javier.

“Well, I’m all fucked up here, you damn better carry me.”

Her voice carries a mocking tone, but deep inside there is nothing but trepidation. She can already guess what awaits her. However, it is nothing but the consequence of her own choice. She can only accept it.

“Goddammit, Maria; you better don’t fuck this up,” Assassin—no, Liria Colhuán—murmurs with too quiet a voice. At this point, hope is the only thing she has left. But even that may be about to meet its end.

(BGM STOP)

Aníbal Pinto Square, Prat, Valparaíso

(BGM)

The golden radiance acts like a physical force, pushing away the flames, the dust and the floating snow; the stronger bonfire challenging the world. It rises like an ancient funeral pyre, growing abruptly as tall as—no, even taller than—the cliff face behind it.

Saver howls triumphant, her war cry dripping with joy and unbridled hostility. She is the tiger free from its cage, the deluge pouring through the broken dam.

Spoiler:
    The creature shows caution and intellect by leaping away and creating some distance from the blinding aura. Perhaps in an attempt to assert itself and its might, the monster reveals its own radiance of power; an unhallowed light of wrongness, which both rejects and is rejected by the world. However, it does not rise as tall, as if smothered and cowed by the incomparable golden blaze before it.

Spoiler:
    The owner of that powerful radiance steps out of the damaged house. Her slow steps are defiant, as if coolly declaring there is no need for abrupt surprise attacks or ferocious charges. As if the very manifestation of the girl’s melam had completed the job started by the creature’s violence, the house collapses the moment Saver leaves it behind. More snow and debris scatters as a grey cloud in all directions, except towards Saver, for the cloud is rejected and pushed away by the golden light.

Then, instead of fixating her attention on the monster in front of her, Saver inclines her head to examine her own body. She places her arms in front of her to get a better look, and a stern pair of inhuman eyes studies the lovely features of Maria Westinghouse as if for the first time.

“…the human frame is truly weak—”

The bipedal man-beast does not look a gift horse in the mouth. Saver gently lands on the roof of one of the few houses still standing in the vicinity, then proceeding to try a few stretches, as if testing her flexibility. Where she stood a moment a moment ago, the creature is not partially veiled by a cloud of floating snow. Saver does not mind it, still trying out the performance of her body.

“Hmm. Lacking, but it will have to do.”

The beast howls. Again, no audible sound comes out of its mouth. Saver’s expression remains unconcerned, even as her body vibrates and the building under her feet cracks and shatters. Instead, she replies, her own kiai loud and clear, her melam seemingly responding to her voice by expanding violently in every direction. The spherical outburst mows everything the silent howl weakened, breaking apart the house she stands on, nearby utility poles, and even the beast’s pressure waves.

Saver does not seem to care that the creature lunges at her as she falls to the street, meeting its claws with her blade. Without footing, she is knocked backwards as if weightless, into the collapsing house. However, a second war cry is followed by a second outburst of her divine radiance, and the debris that should have dropped on her head is instead flung in every direction. Saver throws herself at the beastly humanoid, sword and claws meeting once, then again, then a dozen more times. When the creature retreats and put a dozen meters between them, Saver does not follow except for her eyes. Her smile is dripping with mockery and condescension. Her eyes glint with confidence bordering on arrogance. From such a woman, only denigrating words and boastful self-praise would be expected.

However, she says only a single word.

“…faster.”

Snow and ice flies scattered in every direction, the next round of exchanges fiercer and faster, individual clashes amalgamated into an incessant percussion of metal against keratin. The nameless monster is constantly on the defensive, retreating steps taking them further and further away from Concepción Hill, down the same streets in which Maria and Lancer met in battle exactly a day ago. They stop a block away from the frozen ocean, Saver pushing her sword down the monster, whose strength is dedicated to the sole purpose of keeping that blade from cleaving its face. It tries exhaling poison gas on her face, but her blazing golden aura keeps it away like a very physical barrier.

Just before Saver can break the standstill in her favor, she jumps away, deftly dodging a long stinger that instead embeds itself on the concrete. A large, multi-legged hybrid of man and scorpion skitters around the hairy bipedal creature, the two not even exchanging looks before presenting themselves as a united front against Saver.

“Good. I was starting to get bored.” Her words carry an implicit, deep severity, perhaps suggesting that making her feel bored is an unforgivable sin. She uses no stance, her body instead swaying gently from side to side, as if driven by a song only she can hear. Her aura ripples and rivulets around her, its dance far livelier than the Servant’s restrained movements.

“So, you want to end me.”

Saver does not let her opponents make the first move.

Spoiler:
    “Then end me if you can!”

They clash again in an explosion of light and scattered snow. She dances around the long claws and the terrifyingly agile stinger, squeezing every ounce of Maria’s flexibility to pull off inhuman feats of contortionism and acrobatics. Saver does not know retreat, and she sticks close to her two opponents, remaining unharmed in the melee through sheer reflexes and body control. She somersaults over them; she slides in between them; she plays limbo with the scorpion-man’s tail. She laughs at their failed attacks, and barks in even louder laughter when they hastily dodge out of the way of her blade.

The bipedal creature with misshapen, long limbs fights defensively, prioritizing dodging attacks overlanding blows of its own. It is a very fast creature, almost completely keeping up with Saver’s aggressiveness. The scorpion-man is considerably slower, but it is built like a tank, its skin hard like plate armor. It wields not only its tail stinger, but pincers that constantly aim for Saver’s legs and powerful fists that shatter whatever they strike. Yet the sword girl remains unblemished.

Sword bounces off claw and carapace for at least the hundredth time before the two humanoid monsters again try a strategic retreat. Again, a smirking Saver pursues. This time projecting her golden melam through swings of her blade. None of them is a taunt, but a serious attempt to slice the two in halves, albeit this could be doubted by the girl’s rambunctious laughter—

A powerful impact interrupts the chase, as all three combatants are drawn to look above them, at the top of a crumbling building, somehow spared (to a degree) from Nazi rockets and Archer’s bombardment. A tall and powerful figure stands there, looking down on the three like a heavily armored Grim Reaper. A new monster in the guise of a man, or perhaps the other way around.

???????
    “Hmm.”

The smile on Saver’s face disappears.

“You…you are strong.”

There is no outward reaction from the Servant, their features obscured by its strange armor. The hairy creature growls warily, seemingly as aware of the magnitude of this threat as Saver. These are not mindless beasts, and they promptly adjust their tactics, the scorpion-man facing Saver while the somewhat-lycanthropic-looking creature seems poised to engage the newcomer.

Saver glances at the two monstrosities, their presence suddenly insignificant to her eyes. It is only for a moment, as if to merely acknowledge they are still there. Her attention and interest in on the mysterious, even bizarre Servant insolently looking down on her.

“You believe you can end me,” she says. A declaration of fact, like she has just read the newcomer’s mind.

Perhaps as a way to acknowledge the new Servant’s strength, she pulls off her face mask and relinquishes her hood.

Spoiler:
    Come, then, and find out if you can destroy the destroyer.

(BGM STOP)

Drake Family Residence

Character Status
    Health: Good
    Sustenance: Good
    Warmth: Optimal
    Stamina: Good
    Regression Level 1

Magic circuits active.
    (BGM)

I feel nothing but trepidation. The certainty that bad things are happening, somewhere beyond my reach. The looming fear of an unseen calamity that will fall upon us without warning. My heart…beats like it could very literally tear through my flesh and leap out of my chest.

It’s…shit, it’s hot in here. I’m sweating. I adjust the neck of my thick winter clothes to let the austral cold seep in a little more. Sakura…shit, everybody in this room is soaked in sweat, as if we were not surrounded by below-zero weather.

This…this is a whole new degree of fear. And we don’t even know what it is we are so afraid of.

Maria…is fighting. That much is clear. That aura of hers is blazing like never before; she’s probably being pushed by whatever enemy—Rider?—standing on her way. It’s frustrating to not be able to do anything for her. That’s why, it’s the more important to…

“We gotta do what we can.” I finally speak, the words coming out awkwardly fast. “Sakura, let’s go for it.”

“Ah…um, r-right,” Sakura stammers, seemingly embarrassed to be as taken in by everything that’s happening by the rest of us. Right, she is the strongest magus in this room—does she feel she has to look after us?

“Can you handle it?” I ask one last time, glancing at the cracking ice block and the threat hidden within it.

“I’ll do my best,” she says quietly, and the ambiguity of it feels like a stab.

“…whenever you’re ready, then.”

I am already in place. As soon as the magic defenses fixate on Sakura, I just have to pump out heat into the ice. Converting magical energy into heat is second nature to me by this point, so it is more of an endurance test than anything—

“Ha!”

She just punched the block! Without warning! Damn it, not even a countdown, Miss Sakura!?

The ice reveals its arcane glow. Wait, with nothing but a punch? No, there’s no way; Sakura must have done something, I just couldn’t see it.

She gasps, a restrained cry of pain that breaks my heart. She was not ready for that acute, heart-chilling pain; there was no way she could be. I know what you’re going through, Sakura, that’s why I’m going to give it my all.

I would feel like a wimp if I complain, so nothing but a grunt comes out of my lips as I start directing heat towards the ice. I cannot afford to be wishy-washy about this; I do not hold back, ignoring the searing pain of the very heat I convert as it is conducted by my body. I cannot look at Sakura—perhaps I do not even want to. For what feels like an eternity, I force myself to ignore the muted grunts and groans as she fights a battle far greater than my own. I must entirely focus on sustaining the heat, breaking apart the ice…!

“Sakura!”

I cannot not look when Mr. Drake calls out to her so urgently. I cannot not turn when I perceive abrupt movement from the corner of my eye.

Like a broken marionette, Sakura has fallen on her knees.

“Saku—”

“Don’t!”

Her voice is hoarse. Her left arm is already a grotesque, oddly-colored disaster. The clenched fist remains firmly attached to the ice, though. And there is still fire in her eyes.

We continue. I can only ignore the tears no longer restrained, now running freely down her face distorted into a rictus of agony.

She is going to die.

At this rate, that horrible, unbearable chill is going to reach her heart, and Sakura will die.

I have to do this faster. Even when giving it everything I got; even if my body feels like it is on fire, it is just not quickly enough. But, if I pump out even more heat, I’ll end up burning myself from the inside out. What are my options?

Fireball? Yes, that would be more powerful, but fireballs explode. Mrs. Drake might get caught in the blast.

Alembic, setting up Mr. Drake’s Jade Lanterns again? That would help me, but I don’t know if it would make things any faster.

Sthūla-Śarīra? I can’t use other magecraft along with it, but perhaps the enhancement to my body would also allow me to conduct heat better. Also, I did release flame when fighting that zombie. If the functionality of my best spell has changed somehow, then…

…what should I do?

Critical Choice
    How will Javier deal with this crisis?

1. Use Fireball.
    2. Use Alembic.
    3. Use Sthūla-Śarīra (Warning! This has a chance to increase your Regression Level!).
    4. Just…try harder?
    5. Write-in.

Last edited by Daneel Rush; February 10th, 2019 at 12:06 AM.

JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    I'm surprised he didn't use Fireball from the start.

canon finish apo vol 3

Damn, I wish I knew more about Mesopotamian mythology. I'm starting to suspect Saver is actually Ishtar.

Anyway, 3.