Page 39 of 782 FirstFirst ... 29343738394041444989139539 ... LastLast

Thread: Create-a-Servant

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    But no, it's a class skill. It will be crap if you never did anything to deserve it, but if you are Rider you will have MR no matter what.

Rider is pretty much considered a lesser Knight class anyway.
    Ya, example here. Although if you have a fantastic Master with a large mana pool, you can boost the "freebie-MR" to some very significant levels.

Magic Resistance: E
    Magic resistance gained through the class ability of Archer. However, since Gilgamesh did not have any abilities that can resist magecraft, it remains at the minimum level of E. Its effect is merely light damage mitigation against sorcery rather than full neutralisation. The cause of his low Magic Resistance is probably related to his Master, Kotomine Kirei’s lack of magical energy. In reality, during the Fourth Holy Grail War, Gilgamesh’s Magic Resistance was elevated to C with Tohsaka Tokiomi as his Master.
    Although his Magic Resistance is low, Gilgamesh is able to neutralise most sorceries due to having many items that defend against sorcery, such as the golden armour. The defensive powers of these items are quite high, as Rin’s sorcery was completely repelled.
    If magi attempt to use large-scale sorceries and act as “mongrels” that impede the king, Gilgamesh will simply unleash a raging wave of Noble Phantasms and completely crush them without giving them the time to cast spells. (Translator’s Note: Gate of Babylon and Sword Spam are now officially categorised as a form of Magic Resistance.)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by food View Post
    Ya, example here. Although if you have a fantastic Master with a large mana pool, you can boost the "freebie-MR" to some very significant levels.
    Ah, right, so it's actually a boost? Going by 'However, since Gilgamesh does not have any abilities that can resist magecraft himself, it remains at the minimum level of E.' I wasn't going to cite Gil, because I though that it was just a problem with Kotomine's inadequate supply. But if it's not inherent to Gil, then I suppose that's about the best support I'm going to get - even the King of Uruk didn't receive better than E-rank MR. And he certainly was from the Age of the Gods.

Edit: Shite, wait! That'll teach me to read things thoroughly instead of looking at food's commentary. I was right the first time. Less support for my point, but not a full counter-argument in itself, I suppose.
    Last edited by Seika; January 30th, 2012 at 09:27 PM.
    Beast's Lair: Useful Notes
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

Democracy on Beast's Lair

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One
    * Oh heck, I'm going all "I love learning" and teacher-y again, aren't I?
    But you're doing it right. ;D

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Keep in mind that Gil kind of doesn't follow the rules for anything, and is speshul. :P

Medea can do MR with her own spells and stuff, and Herakles is A) a Berserker and B) got God Hand. So they're bad comparisons.

A better comparison is Alexander: he's a normal dude (albeit with technical divinity) and has D rank MR. Theseus, a through and through hero, should have D MR even if he showed himself as bad vs. magic. Or, you could give him D- rank MR, and extrapolate upon that. Keep in mind that Skills aren't "Flat"; you can do some customization with them, you know.

And yes, Sherrin, Caesarko gets B-rank MR. She at least earns it, by being a Saber, among other things.

And regarding the fame thing, the amusing part is that fame in Nasuverse is based on modern knowledge, because it's really odd to do otherwise. After all, any hero is going to be famous around his or her time, and that would make the fame boost almost null!
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One
    And yes, Sherrin, Caesarko gets B-rank MR. She at least earns it, by being a Saber, among other things.
    I don't know what you're responding to here, but:

A) Caesarko is a OOC in a different setting. Uh.
    B) That's what I said, if you're summoned in a class that comes with particular skills, you get them even if you wouldn't have them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherrinford View Post

B) That's what I said, if you're summoned in a class that comes with particular skills, you get them even if you wouldn't have them.
    I suppose in a different setting she might, indeed, be Out Of Character. [/Awful typo sniping]

Magic Resistance of D or E Rank aside, I'd think the major question here is if Rider is a Knight class or not. I mean, both Iskander and Medusa are from the Age of the Gods themselves or have reasons besides their class as to why they'd have Magic Resistance. I haven't really seen anywhere in canon that indicates Rider is one of the Knights, and I can't remember, say, Extra!Rider as having it as a skill. Rider seems to be kind of a silly class to denote as Knight, as well, given that- at least in Extra canon- it can also refer to anyone who famously rode any vehicle. Including, say, a privateer. :/
    "AND THAT MEANT THE ROCK, THE CRAPPY AWFUL ROCK HERE WAS THE CENTER OF THE UNIVERSE, THE CONTINUA, THE WHOLE REALITY!"

-Iain M. Banks, Use of Weapons

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ScarletWeather View Post
    I suppose in a different setting she might, indeed, be Out Of Character. [/Awful typo sniping]

Magic Resistance of D or E Rank aside, I'd think the major question here is if Rider is a Knight class or not. I mean, both Iskander and Medusa are from the Age of the Gods themselves or have reasons besides their class as to why they'd have Magic Resistance. I haven't really seen anywhere in canon that indicates Rider is one of the Knights, and I can't remember, say, Extra!Rider as having it as a skill. Rider seems to be kind of a silly class to denote as Knight, as well, given that- at least in Extra canon- it can also refer to anyone who famously rode any vehicle. Including, say, a privateer. :/
    I always think of Riders as the "unofficial" Knight class that they don't really include as part of their formal club but tolerated as a sidekick spin-off. Like it's the D'artagnan to their Three Musketeers. I made Quixote a Rider specifically for the purpose of 'well you get the fake knight class. -patpat-"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    Keep in mind that Gil kind of doesn't follow the rules for anything, and is speshul. :P
    We dealt with that when I looked back at what food translated as opposed to what he said.

Medea can do MR with her own spells and stuff, and Herakles B) got God Hand. So they're bad comparisons.
    And regarding the fame thing, the amusing part is that fame in Nasuverse is based on modern knowledge, because it's really odd to do otherwise.
    I did address these points in my post, you know?

is A) a Berserker
    Surely that wouldn't deny him any MR he had picked up in life anyway? Fine, God Hand negates the need for that, I understand, but saying he wouldn't possess it as a Class skill doesn't necessarily stop him having it as a personal one.

A better comparison is Alexander: he's a normal dude (albeit with technical divinity) and has D rank MR. Theseus, a through and through hero, should have D MR even if he showed himself as bad vs. magic.
    Mmm. I don't think that just being a great hero should automatically give you MR. There ought to be something in your circumstances more specific than that to indicate it. We're not necessarily sure what that might be in Iskander's case - perhaps, as you've pointed out, it's simply his divinity. In Theseus' case, I'm sort of willing to grant that being in the Age of the Gods and seeing that time's magery does count as a circumstance and ought to give him a little protection. However, I'm not massively happy with it boosting him too far, especially when my version of his legend has him so utterly screwed over by a magical curse.

Or, you could give him D- rank MR, and extrapolate upon that. Keep in mind that Skills aren't "Flat"; you can do some customization with them, you know.
    That, I do think is an interesting idea (and a useful compromise between our positions). The '-' applying against curses could work. Or magery from Colchis. Or anything that the plot requires if you can find a justification. Nice!
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherrinford View Post

Oi oi, let's not getting into ze settings here! I followed Nasu rules, just as planned. You're just butthurt. :P
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

...and apparently, Lady Francis does have Magic Resistance of Rank D.

Welp, I think the argument is settled then, unless someone wants to tell me why Francis Drake has that skill beyond class? xD [/faildog moment]
    "AND THAT MEANT THE ROCK, THE CRAPPY AWFUL ROCK HERE WAS THE CENTER OF THE UNIVERSE, THE CONTINUA, THE WHOLE REALITY!"

Givin this a shot.

Class: Saber
    True Name: Sir Roland

Physical Appearance: A fair-skinned man around 20-25 years of age, Saber has short, wavy, black hair. Saber wears a Silver suit of armor over which is laid golden plates on the gauntlets and greaves. A fine red silk cloak is draped over his shoulders.

Abilities
    Strength: B
    Endurance: A
    Agility: C
    Magical Energy:C
    Luck:A
    Noble Phantasm:C-A+

Class Abilities
    Riding:B+
    "Ability to ride things. Sir Roland can ride most vehicles with above average skill, but he cannot ride those of demonic beast and holy beast rank."

Magical Resistance:C
    "Nullifies all magic that requires less than two verses. Cannot block large-scale magic such as great magic and ritual magic."

Skills

Charisma: Rank C
    The natural talent to lead an army. It increases the ability of one's army during mass combat, and defines strength of character. At this rank, Saber can lead a decently sized army.

Battle Continuation: B
    Does not give up easily. It allows for readied battle until the point of death.

Bravery: A
    Ability to ignore any mental interference, such as coercion, confusion, or illusions.

Military Tactics: B
    Tactical instinctive ability used not for one-on-one combat, but in a battlefield where many are mobilized. Advantageous modifiers are provided in situations when executing one's own anti-army Noble Phantasms or in dealing with the opponent's anti-army Noble Phantasm.

Noble Phantasms

Durandal - Sword of the Seraphim
    Type:Anti-Army
    A holy sword favored by Roland, the paladin of Middle Age Europe. The king Charlemagne was granted the sword by an angel, and awarded it to Roland, the honored leader of the twelve knights. It holds three miracles and does not lose its sharpness even when its possessor's magical energy is depleted. Like Caliburn, it is a symbol of power spendidly made.

Each of the miracles within Durandal are granted by a fragment of a Saint said to be contained within the hilt, and each function as a Command Spell useable at Roland's discretion. These miracles can be used to create any possible effect within the limits of Roland's Prana.

The activation of this Noble Phantasm is done by calling out its name along with a short prayer as to the desired effect of a miracle.

Olifant Horn - Clariant Call of the Setting Sun
    Type:Anti-Army
    A hunting horn carried by Roland, crafted from the horn of a Unicorn. Utilized in legend to summon the armies of Charlemagne to his aid, however at the cost of Roland's life. Due to the magical nature of its creation, it is unbreakable.

This horn is Roland's true Noble Phantasm, though hidden by its innocuous nature and overshadowed by the splendor of Durandal. It is activated by sounding it three times, and at the cost of nearly all of his Prana. This horn then calls the armies of Charlemagne to Roland's side.

Blog Entries
    The Durandal I think works - I like the comparison to a command spell. There could be more detail on Olifaunt, which seems a little iffy right now. But I need to run, so I'll try to say something more detailed later.
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

Blog Entries
    Just be glad Spinach deemed it almost appropriate, ser. :P

Much as Seika, I don't have time now, but I could probably do a technicaly analysis later.

Well, for starters, Rank C is kind of low for a Saber, isn't it? Nero has it at that Rank, but I think that's because she's really kind of a "Saber-only-because-she-says-so" Saber, not really someone who actually specifically possessed the qualifications for that class during life, and I set Cyrano's that low because it's iffy whether he'd even qualify as a Heroic Spirit. Rank B is pretty justified given this is Roland we're talking about, and he should definitely have Rank A Battle Continuation. This is the guy who waits until he's dying to blow Oliphant, then keeps fighting until, at his very last, he bashes a guy's head in with the horn.

Also, while I like the idea of Command-Seal equivalent Durandal, I have to wonder how the miracles work specifically- it's noted in F/SN that Command Seals normally degrade in effectiveness if they're used for something vague (for example, the only reason Rin's order to Archer to "do everything I say" is effective is because she's talented enough as a magus that going against an order like that causes a Rank-Down for Archer's skills, normally a command like that would be horribly, horribly inefficient. Is it something like "Roland prays for a specific event to occur, causality is warped so that event occurs"? I like the concept, it's just... very vague compared to most Noble Phantasms, which have very specifically-defined effects.

Posting this again with some major changes after doing more research on Geronimo; hopefully it's a little better this time.

GERONIMO
    Class: Archer
    Alignment: True Neutral
    Strength: E
    Endurance: D
    Agility: B
    Magic: B
    Luck: A
    Class Abilities:
    Independent Action: A
    Magic Resistance: C
    Cancels spells with a chant below two verses. Geronimo's expertise as a medicine man, or a Native American magus, allowed a moderate rank in this skill to be attained.

Personal Abilities:
    Charisma: C+
    Ability to command a band or small army with great effectiveness, raising the capacities of followers and compelling them to greater feats. However, as Geronimo's reckless and brutal actions increasingly isolated him from his fellow Apaches, true unity and immunity to betrayal will never be attained.
    Disengage: B+
    The ability to break away from combat. Geronimo's greatest skill was disappearing into the wilderness with his band, completely impossible to find but to other Apache. Hence his Disengage becomes more effective against greater numbers of enemies and has the bonus of obscuring his trail to all but the most skilled trackers.
    Subversive Activities: B
    Able to disable almost 40% of enemy military forces before they advance.
    Noble Phantasms:
    Chiricahua: The Many Hands of War
    Type: Support/Anti-Unit
    Range: 1~45
    Maximum Targets: 1
    Geronimo's battle robes, containing all the weapons he requires to fight. This includes a bow and arrows, a dagger, a lever-action rifle, and a revolver. All have no exceptional qualities except the ability to harm Heroic Spirits.
    Goyathlay: The Yawn of the World
    Type: Support
    Range: n/a
    Maximum Targets: n/a
    Geronimo was believed to have the power to stop time and hold the clouds in the sky. This Noble Phantasm, a traditional Apache battle headdress, symbolizes the belief by holding all battle conditions in the state they were when Geronimo activated the Noble Phantasm. Battle conditions include: All field conditions (weather, time of day, etc.), Geronimo's current HP, Geronimo's status effects, and Noble Phantasms which require a condition change (chant, activation ritual, etc.) to activate. Attempts to change conditions will drain Geronimo's mana supply. Goyathlay's effect will be sustained until Geronimo disengages from battle or runs out of mana. Attempting to activate powerful Noble Phantasms (A and higher) will drain his mana enormously. Deactivating Goyathlay will result in all sustained changed conditions taking effect immediately, i.e. Geronimo will receive all injuries he avoided as a result of Goyathlay's activation.
    Apache: The Pride of Death
    Type: Anti-Unit
    Range: 1-55
    Maximum Targets: 1
    Geronimo surrendered in life but was betrayed and ended up wishing he could have fought to the death. His history of betrayal and isolation, as well as his wish for a worthwhile death, are symbolized with a single arrow to be fired from his bow. Normally it is an ordinary arrow, but when Geronimo is fatally injured it will drain all of his remaining mana to actualize Goyathlay's condition stasis as an actual time-stop and deal a powerful, near-unavoidable attack to a single target. The arrow itself has no accuracy modifiers and relies on the wielder's aim. It does not need to be fired from a bow for its effect to activate.
    Legend:
    Geronimo was a Native American leader and warrior in the 19th century United States. He was born to the Apache tribe and grew to prominence among his people and the settlers of the West for his devastating revenge raids against Mexican settlers after they killed his mother, wife, and children. He epitomized the lawless West and was known for his brutality and ruthlessness, even killing children if keeping them became inconvenient. After his raids grew to include the white men of the United States, he incurred the wrath of the U.S. Army and became famous across the land for his daring exploits and repeated escapes from capture. His best-known feat was holding off 5000 soldiers, or 25% of the the U.S. Army, with a band of only 36 men. He finally surrendered in 1886, after killing thousands and causing the resignation and retirement of multiple officials assigned to his capture, when he was tracked by Apache scouts who felt he had killed too many. Even army officials were said to be impressed by his overwhelming personal charisma--his mouth sloped into a permanent scowl, his eyes burned like shining obsidian, and every one of his movements seemed to have a purpose. After capture, he served hard labor for several years as punishment for his deeds and ended up as an attraction in traveling fairs as a "tame Indian" who signed souvenirs and posed for photos. During this time he adapted to the ways of the white man and came to admire Theodore Roosevelt. Despite all his personal humiliation, his dying wish to return to his homeland of Arizona was never granted. He succumbed to alcoholism and pneumonia in 1909, at the age of 90. As a Heroic Spirit Geronimo hopes to do what he could not in life--save the people of the Apache.

Blog Entries
    Geronimo is a neat idea, though I feel like he's a bit underpowered in his present state. The stasis idea is really cool, imo, but it feels like it's a bit costly if he's likely to die the moment it deactivates because everything happens any way. He could really get away with the stasis being something you have to get past in order to start hurting him. The other thing is just, well... If your only attack NP requires you to die, it's really mean to let it be missable. ;.; I like the idea though.

Mm, I'm a little (very) shy about posting this one, because unlike my other two, she actually is my character in a RP so I'm the least confident about whether or not I handled her well in light of player bias. I wrote her as a fictional hero along the lines of Sasaki Kojiro because many of the stories about her are pretty vague in terms of her actual accomplishments and the stories even attribute different family names to her and describe her eventual fate differently. So she became a single fictional identity that was created to blanket the individual accomplishments of many Chinese woman by gathering them under one name.

True Name:
    "Hua Mulan"
    Class: Lancer
    Alignment: Lawful Good

Parameters:
    Noble Phantasm: B
    Strength: B
    Agility: A
    Magic: C
    Endurance: C
    Luck: B

Appearance:
    A young Chinese woman who looks to be in her early 20s, Lancer is dressed lightly in a cream tunic with loose lime green pants. Dark green armor covers her torso and shoulders, tied in place with green sashes. Her black hair is tied into a topknot, but leaves enough loose for tousled bangs to frame a face with stern chestnut eyes. A Wushu rapier hangs in a leather sheath at her hip while a cherry wood Wushu spear is tied to her back with a single leather cord.

Note: I actually have art of this one thanks to a friend.

Class Abilities:
    Magic Resistance
    Cancels spells with chants of two verses or less. Ineffective against high-level thaumaturgy and greater rituals.

Personal Skills:
    Chinese Martial Arts
    A Chinese meditative ideal, it is a belief that true mastery of martial arts comes not through training, but acceptance. As this technique is extremely difficult to understand, let alone master, it is only when achieving the rank of A that one is thought to have actually begun to learn. A student since childhood, Lancer was unable to complete her tutelage before going to war, but she is still capable of combining her skills with both dao sabres and qiang spear to fight with fluid, dance-like grace.

Disguise
    The capacity to blend into an assumed role. Rather than simply changing one's outside appearance, this skill refers to an individual's ability to actually convincingly adopt a foreign place and role and make it their own. At this rank, even changing gender roles is a seamless and believeable transition.

Charisma
    Natural talent to command an army. Increases the ability of allies during group battles. This rank can be said to be appropriate for the general of a country's armed forces.

Noble Phantasm:
    Twelve Lives of Merit - The Bond of the Monstrous Regiment
    Type: Support
    The Noble Phantasm that symbolizes the mantle of "Hua Mulan." As one of hundreds of Chinese woman whose individual deeds in life qualify her to be summoned as "Hua Mulan", Lancer is able to draw upon the collective experience and knowledge of the predecessors and forebear, all of which was subsumed into the identity of Hua Mulan after death. As a result, the aggregate skill of Lancer in battle approaches the borders of preternatural, far beyond what any specific Chinese village girl was likely to have in life. In the case of six specific woman whom Lancer personally served with during her military career, the memories of them burned into her heart and soul permit her to surrender portions of her spiritual body to act as an anchor for their manifestation as temporary lesser Heroic Spirits.

Although similar in effect to the assassin said to divide his own existence into many separate iterations, the effect of this Noble Phantasm is more accurately said to be crystallizing Lancer's own memories into corporeal form, at the cost of one full rank in every attribute for each Spirit manifested in this way at one time. Because they are a part of her, Lancer is able to synchronize her senses with theirs, allowing them to effectively fight as one body and making up for the loss in parameters. Since invocation of this Noble Phantasm involves diluting her personal existence in the collective, Lancer is able to call upon a limited number of allies at once without risking loss of her self, and summoning all six would likely result in the permanent loss of her individual ego as "Hua Mulan."

(For clarification: She basically has the power to summon 1-2 allies at a time of every class except her own, though they're more along the lines of Hassans or lower-tier Servants in power level than their proper classes, and none of them have their own Noble Phantasm since "Hua Mulan" is only allowed to have this one NP. Her gimmick is more or less just being a combat savant like Kojiro who can summon single allies she's perfectly in sync with.)
    Last edited by Sunny; February 1st, 2012 at 11:44 PM.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors celsius's Avatar
    Don't forget her ability to BREAK OUT INTO SONG AT RANDOM and summon a dragon voiced by Eddie Murphy. No Servant will be able to withstand his hilarious wit.

Blog Entries
    Her Caster, of course, shoots you into buildings with fireworks.

Ayakashi of Boundaries Yakumo-san's Avatar
    After all these magnificient Heroes and Seika's better than expected (much better) Theseus...

I demand.

Jesus

Jesus Alter.

Begin.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors celsius's Avatar
    Jesus probably can't be summoned because modern humans believe He's in Heaven. Catholicism considers Him to be a part of the Holy Trinity that makes up God.

So it's like how Saber's in Avalon.

---- Wait.

Jesus is a girl in Nasuverse. Discuss.