Page 87 of 782 FirstFirst ... 37778285868788899297137187587 ... LastLast
Results 1,721 to 1,740 of 15627

Thread: Create-a-Servant

Blog Entries
    Yeah, Sherrin does it really well.

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
    Y'see, there's at least a good explanation for it. It's still heavily wanked because, holy shit, Napoleon, regardless of how awesome he painted himself to be in life, shouldn't be taking out even half of Herakles' lives, but at least it's more believable than before. Sorry, Fivers, but it's simply impossible to convince me that Napoleon is so effectively riding a fame boost that he himself created during his life that he's carrying A++ rank NP cannons around. Because even A rank is a really big deal. A+ is ludicrous. A++ is insane.

But it is your story, so I didn't linger around on it and say NO YOU CANNOT DO THAT NO(mainly because I think Sherrin called shenanigans first, and I decided to just let him handle it, tehe)! I will still think it's wanked though.
    Yes; Napoleon is wanked because he made himself that powerful by saying that he's got that sort of strength to him.

But really, those A++ cannons (there's only one of them, mind you) aren't particularly grand: they themselves have little mystery to them, compared to actual A++ Noble Phantasms. The only reason they have such strength is because Napoleon gives it to them. The costs for using Overture as a whole are much greater than Gate of Babylon, in comparison: GoB has a cost for opening the gate, and not much afterwards. Overture has a cost per cannon recreated, making it less efficient in that manner. If you remember the fight between Napoleon and Gilgamesh, Overture wasn't really matching GoB too well; what Nappy was mostly doing was hiding behind a slab of rock that Gilgamesh couldn't break, and using the cannons he could muster to keep Gil from destroying too much. Overture is a thing suited for masses of projectiles in shorter bursts.
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

Blog Entries
    Meh, I'm not contesting the efficiency of the ability itself, but rather the actual firepower it has, which is quite insane, and in my honest opinion, unwarranted. Sorry, Fivers, but I'll never quite buy into it completely. I like the NP itself and how it's used, but I can't see it even being past B rank, let alone even touching A+.

Blog Entries
    The actual firepower it has is dependent on what's going on. An A++ cannon shot isn't going to stop an Excaliblast, but simply because God Hand works off of ranks rather than technical power.

It's entirely warranted, because Napoleon makes it so with Cult of Personality. You're kind of underestimating the skill, y'know.

...just be glad I didn't make Louis XIV part of MPII. Now he would have the epitome of Cult of Personality. The NPs I thought up for him are... understandable, but as a result of Cult of Personality, very very powerful.
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

Blog Entries
    I know that God Hand works off of ranks rather than technical power. That's what rustles my jimmies, I don't think Overture should have enough cannons that rank high enough to kill Herakles multiple times.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Time for me to go again I guess. Here's the main character of the Guilty Gear fighting game series:

Spoiler:
    Personal Information:

Class: Saber
    Heroic Spirit: Sol Badguy a.k.a. Frederick
    Alignment: Chaotic Good
    Height: 184 cm
    Weight: 74 kg

Parameters

STR: A
    AGI: B
    END: C
    MGI: A+
    LCK: A
    NP: C

Class Skills:

Magic Resistance: A
    Cancels spells of A-rank of below. In practice, modern magi will have almost no way of harming Sol in battle. Sol comes from an environment in the future where magecraft was eventually recreated using science and he has as such become very adept at dealing with it.

Personal Skills:

Prana Burst (Flames): A+
    The ability to channel Prana throughout one’s body and weapon. In Sol’s case, Prana becomes infernal flames that dwell in the weapon or limb used. Sol is highly proficient in its use and together with his Fireseal he can be said to be a being who is one with fire.

Gear: D (EX)
    The measure of one’s power as a Gear, a creature created with a science so advanced that it was called “Magic”. Gears are physically very powerful creatures. Sol is the Prototype Gear, the greatest of all Gears. At this rank it triples all parameters aside from LCK, allows Sol to regenerate his wounds at an incredibly high rate and adapt to any environment. It is mostly sealed under the influence of the Rock You Noble Phantasm.

Eye of the Mind (Fake): A

An innate talent to sense and avoid danger based on intuition. At this high a rank any trickery, visual obstruction or otherwise obscured information is easily reduced to nothing. Sol has no “fighting style” aside from his naturally massive power and this skill, “Simple is best” after all.

Noble Phantasm:

Rock You – Gear Suppression Device

Type: Support
    Range: Self
    Maximum Targets: 1

A device resembling a headband that is affixed to Sol’s forehead. It helps Sol suppress his Gear skill. The words “ROCK YOU” are embedded on it in English, a tribute to British rockband Queen. Naturally, it is not a Noble Phantasm that is beneficial in terms of battle power, but it is an important object to Sol who refuses to submit to his Gear urges. The gear skill is completely unsealed after Sol removes this object from his forehead.

Fireseal – God Vessel of Fire

Type: Anti-Gear
    Range: 2-10
    Maximum Targets: 10

An odd looking sword with a square blade. It is Sol’s favorite weapon and synergizes very well with Sol’s Prana Burst (Flames) skill. It has exceptional cutting power, not due to its inherent sharpness but rather due to Sol heating the blade to immense temperatures. Though it might seem extremely powerful in combat, most of the excellence displayed is mostly Sol’s own, the Fireseal merely acting as a conduit for his fire magic. However, that is not to say that it is useless, it does help in focusing Sol’s flames and its durable structure makes it ideal for sword fights.
    It was, together with its seven cousins, a weapon designed to fight Gears, so it also possesses the Gear-slayer attribute.

Design notes:

Never seen many Servant go BEYOND A-rank on Prana Burst, so I tried it. If you have plaved the game you will know how huge the flames that Sol can conjure are, and he does it so fast. Naturally, an especially powerful Servant, but hindered by the restriction he himself has placed. If he actually somehow was summoned into a HGW I imagine that he would refuse to remove his Rock You unless you used a command seal.

Other than that... right now I am wondering how updating the list I just made will work now that it is in the OP. I'll just go ahead and edit the post I already made a few pages back and see later I guess...

Blog Entries
    I know that God Hand works off of ranks rather than technical power. That's what rustles my jimmies, I don't think Overture should have enough cannons that rank high enough to kill Herakles multiple times.
    You realize that, in that one scene, there were at least four other people who could've killed Hercules outright? Caesarko could've blasted him to death with Crocea Mors, Sigurd could've beaten him through attrition and eventually getting his stronger abilities, Achilles could've stuck him in his shield for eternity, and Odysseus has unlimited Noble Phantasms, so long as he spends a bit of time making them.

Napoleon's manner of getting rid of Hercules was one of the least efficient, really.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    You realize that, in that one scene, there were at least four other people who could've killed Hercules outright? Caesarko could've blasted him to death with Crocea Mors, Sigurd could've beaten him through attrition and eventually getting his stronger abilities, Achilles could've stuck him in his shield for eternity, and Odysseus has unlimited Noble Phantasms, so long as he spends a bit of time making them.

Napoleon's manner of getting rid of Hercules was one of the least efficient, really.
    I don't see what that has to do with this.

Blog Entries
    I don't see what that has to do with this.
    It's pointing out that Nappy's feat wasn't all too impressive. He has maybe four or five cannons total that are A-rank or stronger, all of which have their own legends and history to them which make them strong beyond Napoleon's own additions thanks to CoP, ones like the Tsar Cannon and the Dardanelles gun. Then, he proceeds to summon multiple copies of those, and blasts Hercules all at once.

Blog Entries
    Are you saying that taking out 10 Herakles lives isn't impressive?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

Blog Entries
    Stop! Sumerian time!

Name
    : Enmerkar
    Class: Lancer
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral

Appearance: By his appearance alone, it is obvious that he is a hero and king in truth. Enmerkar towers over all, standing like a giant among the degraded men of today. Golden hair and crimson eyes make even more plain his origins in those earlier, stranger times we call the 'Age of the Gods'. His brow shines with a golden diadem, studded with the jewels of Mesopotamia. At his left side is an axe of a metal now lost to man, gleaming with a strange light and ready to split any material. On his back he bears the staff of Uruk, carrying the truth which is 'End' within it, wrought by divine Enlil from night-black steel.

Parameters:
    Strength: A++
    Endurance: B
    Agility: A
    NP: EX
    Prana: B+
    Luck: EX

Skills:
    Magic Resistance (B+): In his lifetime, Enmerkar saw the pinnacle of magic, that earliest time in the Age of the Gods when the Divine Spirits and magi intermingled and gave each other power. Modern magic is utterly without effect on him, and no Command Spell will bind him. Still, he himself made no great study of magic, so it is possible for those who hold some of the ancient power to affect him.

Pioneer of the Stars (EX): One who changed the nature of history and humanity in its entirety, letting speech and thought enter into eternal record, Enmerkar can defy fate to make possible what should not be.

Divinity (A): A brother to the great goddess Inana, and well-loved by her.

Charisma (A): Enmerkar is a king of armies, able to raise hordes whose march swirled dust up to the heavens.

Noble Phantasms:
    kušUmmud Za-gin dInana ~ The Lapis-Lazuli Waterskin Of Inana. Sparkling with embedded blue crystals, this container is filled with water from the holy place of Inana. If Enmerkar but sips of the sacred liquid within, the knowledge of his divine sister will fill him. The legend, attributes and Noble Phantasm of any chosen opponent or opponents will become known to him, along with the most favourable way to exploit his enemy's weaknesses based on available resources. A slight prana drain is necessary to unstopper the waterskin, but the effect itself is without cost. (A; Anti-Unit)

Kuš ~ Devastation. The first hero invokes the power of a concept - 'End'. That final truth, the far-future death, is made manifest with a gesture of his royal staff and a word. Within any area Enmerkar chooses, up to the size of the great ancient cities, all shall become dust. In an instant, buildings disintegrate, hills flatten and the rivers run dry as a howling, otherworldly wind screams. The only witnesses are the people, who becomes doves cursed to wheel forever over the site of Kuš's destruction, a stark warning to those who oppose Uruk's king. It is said that this weapon will be present at the world's ending. (EX; Anti-World)

Legend: Enmerkar, the lord and founder of Uruk, mighty in war. He who was sister and lover to the goddess Inana and who subdued the strength of Aratta. Divine Lugalbanda was his heir, and Gilgamesh the king of heroes was the son of that man.

This was the first hero, and the one who created all others after him. Only by his invention of writing was it possible for human memory to cling to the heroic deeds of the past. Still, unlike his grandson, he claimed no dominion over the future, for he knows its end. Gilgamesh for so long saw only the unbridled power of creation, and was given no wisdom.

In his youth he ventured forth from E-ana, where lay the great temple of Inana, to found Uruk, and he held dominion over its twin Kulaba. All the lands rose up against him, but he alone raised up the mighty walls of Uruk which repelled them on Inana's advice. So his land was secure and his power grew.

His strength was greater than all who followed after him among men, and he could shatter mountains, reducing them to dust with a blow or divert the great Mesopotamian rivers with his hands. Such was his power. He rode upon the clouds and soared into heaven and swooped down to Earth. These, and the favour of Inana, were the boasts with which he threatened Ensughirana of Aratta. But that king felt himself safe in the mountain fastnesses and disbelieved the Lord Enmerkar. He was humbled as the armies of Uruk came forth and sieged him, and the hills crumbled about him under the blows of Enmerkar. By the advice of Inana, Enmerkar dried up the springs of Aratta, and forced the city's surrender without its destruction. In this way, Uruk claimed the talented smiths and the precious metals of Aratta for its own, and Inana's temple grew in wealth.

In the siege, a mighty captain, Lugalbanda, had distinguished himself with the magic given to him by the Anzub bird. Wise Enmerkar adopted Lugalbanda, and gave over Uruk to him when he had ruled the city for 420 years. So was the ascendence of Uruk assured, for divine Lugalbanda was a great king, and his son was Gilgamesh who gathered the peoples and treasures of the world under his rule.

Designer's Notes:
    1) Say hi to Gilgamesh's grandfather (of a sort), people!
    2) Yes, I am taking that as license to make him just as/more OP than our King, but the feats are all more-or-less taken straight from his epics.
    3) NP 'titles' are just the translations of the given 'names' this time around.
    4) Kuš is there to contrast with EA. If EA was used to create the world and returns the land to the primordial truth, so Kuš will destroy the world and bring the land to the final truth.
    5) Gilgamesh is powerful, but relies a lot on his items. Whilst I liked making that little bit of dualism with EA, I (obviously) went a different route for the rest of Enmerkar's power - stats even higher than Gil because he's older and closer to the original man (I always assume a Servant without prana/fame limits for these sheets) and the ability to easily discern and exploit an opponent's weak point. Nasty stuff, but counterable at least. Don't let him drink!
    6) Speaking of, yes, I did give him a boosted, near-unlimited, version of Eye of the Mind as an NP for next to no prana cost. Why do you ask?
    7) Mind you, he (sort-of) needs it. He has no innate version of EoTM (True or False), no Instinct, no Arms Mastery etc., because he warrants none of them. A Servant with real skill in combat is probably his best counter, especially if they can keep him from the waterskin.
    Last edited by Seika; May 17th, 2012 at 06:38 AM. Reason: Updated for consistency with the Fanfics forum thread
    Beast's Lair: Useful Notes
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

Democracy on Beast's Lair

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LeopardBear View Post
    Nice one, Leo. :P

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    Spoiler'd for huge
    Stop! Sumerian time!

Name
    : Enmerkar
    Class: Lancer
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral

Appearance: By his appearance alone, it is obvious that he is a hero and king in truth. Enmerkar towers over all, standing like a giant among the degraded men of today. Golden hair and crimson eyes make even more plain his origins in those earlier, stranger times we call the 'Age of the Gods'. His brow shines with a golden diadem, studded with the jewels of Mesopotamia. At his left side is an axe of a metal now lost to man, gleaming with a strange light and ready to split any material. On his back he bears the staff of Uruk, carrying the truth which is 'End' within it, wrought by divine Enlil from night-black steel.

Parameters:
    Strength: A++
    Endurance: A
    Agility: A
    NP: EX
    Prana: B+
    Luck: EX

Skills:
    Magic Resistance (B+): In his lifetime, Enmerkar saw the pinnacle of magic, that earliest time in the Age of the Gods when the Divine Spirits and magi intermingled and gave each other power. Modern magic is utterly without effect on him, and no Command Spell will bind him. Still, he himself made no great study of magic, so it is possible for those who hold some of the ancient power to affect him.

Pioneer of the Stars (EX): One who changed the nature of history and humanity in its entirety, letting speech and thought enter into eternal record, Enmerkar can defy fate to make possible what should not be.

Divinity (A): A brother to the great goddess Inana, and well-loved by her.

Charisma (A): Enmerkar is a king of armies, able to raise hordes whose march swirled dust up to the heavens.

Noble Phantasms:
    kušUmmud Za-gin dInana-ke ~ The Lapis-Lazuli Waterskin Of Inana. Sparkling with embedded blue crystals, this container is filled with water from the holy place of Inana. If Enmerkar but sips of the sacred liquid within, the knowledge of his divine sister will fill him. The legend, attributes and Noble Phantasm of any chosen opponent or opponents will become known to him, along with the most favourable way to exploit his enemy's weaknesses based on available resources. A slight prana drain is necessary to unstopper the waterskin, but the effect itself is without cost. (A; Anti-Unit)

Kuš ~ Devastation. The first hero invokes the power of a concept - 'End'. That final truth, the far-future death, is made manifest with a gesture of his royal staff and a word. Within any area Enmerkar chooses, up to the size of the great ancient cities, all shall become dust. In an instant, buildings disintegrate, hills flatten and the rivers run dry as a howling, otherworldly wind screams. The only witnesses are the people, who becomes doves cursed to wheel forever over the site of Kuš's destruction, a stark warning to those who oppose Uruk's king. It is said that this weapon will be present at the world's ending. (EX; Anti-World)

Legend: Enmerkar, the lord and founder of Uruk, mighty in war. He who was sister and lover to the goddess Inana and who subdued the strength of Aratta. Divine Lugalbanda was his heir, and Gilgamesh the king of heroes was the son of that man.

This was the first hero, and the one who created all others after him. Only by his invention of writing was it possible for human memory to cling to the heroic deeds of the past. Still, unlike his grandson, he claimed no dominion over the future, for he knows its end. Gilgamesh for so long saw only the unbridled power of creation, and was given no wisdom.

In his youth he ventured forth from E-ana, where lay the great temple of Inana, to found Uruk, and he held dominion over its twin Kulaba. All the lands rose up against him, but he alone raised up the mighty walls of Uruk which repelled them on Inana's advice. So his land was secure and his power grew.

His strength was greater than all who followed after him among men, and he could shatter mountains, reducing them to dust with a blow or divert the great Mesopotamian rivers with his hands. Such was his power. He rode upon the clouds and soared into heaven and swooped down to Earth. These, and the favour of Inana, were the boasts with which he threatened Ensughirana of Aratta. But that king felt himself safe in the mountain fastnesses and disbelieved the Lord Enmerkar. He was humbled as the armies of Uruk came forth and sieged him, and the hills crumbled about him under the blows of Enmerkar. By the advice of Inana, Enmerkar dried up the springs of Aratta, and forced the city's surrender without its destruction. In this way, Uruk claimed the talented smiths and the precious metals of Aratta for its own, and Inana's temple grew in wealth.

In the siege, a mighty captain, Lugalbanda, had distinguished himself with the magic given to him by the Anzub bird. Wise Enmerkar adopted Lugalbanda, and gave over Uruk to him when he had ruled the city for 420 years. So was the ascendence of Uruk assured, for divine Lugalbanda was a great king, and his son was Gilgamesh who gathered the peoples and treasures of the world under his rule.

Designer's Notes:
    1) Say hi to Gilgamesh's grandfather (of a sort), people!
    2) Yes, I am taking that as license to make him just as/more OP than our King, but the feats are all more-or-less taken straight from his epics.
    3) NP 'titles' are just the translations of the given 'names' this time around.
    4) Kuš is there to contrast with EA. If EA was used to create the world and returns the land to the primordial truth, so Kuš will destroy the world and bring the land to the final truth.
    5) Gilgamesh is powerful, but relies a lot on his items. Whilst I liked making that little bit of dualism with EA, I (obviously) went a different route for the rest of Enmerkar's power - stats even higher than Gil because he's older and closer to the original man (I always assume a Servant without prana/fame limits for these sheets) and the ability to easily discern and exploit an opponent's weak point. Nasty stuff, but counterable at least. Don't let him drink!
    6) Speaking of, yes, I did give him a boosted, near-unlimited, version of Eye of the Mind as an NP for next to no prana cost. Why do you ask?
    A++ Strength, ye gods. Considering that Herakles already razed building using A+ I can only dread for what A++ would entail. B+ Prana and MR, why not A? B+ is a bit ambigiuous as the + entails a temporary boost or something of the sorts. On another note, a pet theory of mine regarding Gilgamesh' stats is that he is bound to the Archer container, which has the shittiest stats out of all the class containers, the fact that he still has such high stats just further proves that the King of Heroes is amazing. I personally only knew about Enmerker from the Sumerian king list so I did not know that he actually had legends woven about him, interesting.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrikow View Post
    A++ Strength, ye gods. Considering that Herakles already razed building using A+ I can only dread for what A++ would entail.
    Like I said, he crushes mountains with his fists. To flour, as the source says.

B+ Prana and MR, why not A?
    Because he does loads of amazing stuff, but it's mostly centred around getting the gods to do things for him and just being really powerful. He's not a magic-user (insofar as the Sumerians had a distinct concept of 'magic'), and when the enemy start cursing his city's livestock, he has to hire a wise woman to help him out. So I didn't want to make him go the whole way.

B+ is a bit ambigiuous as the + entails a temporary boost or something of the sorts.
    Yeah. The B+ MR symbolises his age advantage (and the power of the magic he'd seen done) making him more immune to modern magecraft than is normally the case (whilst he keeps a flat B-rank against Age of the Gods magecraft). As to the B+ prana, the + is for when he's powering Kuš, because it seems it ought to require that kind of power. It was ... a personal feeling.

On another note, a pet theory of mine regarding Gilgamesh' stats is that he is bound to the Archer container, which has the shittiest stats out of all the class containers, the fact that he still has such high stats just further proves that the King of Heroes is amazing.
    Yeah, I can certainly see that.

I personally only knew about Enmerker from the Sumerian king list so I did not know that he actually had legends woven about him, interesting.
    They're somewhat broken up, but still readable with a bit of effort. Not exactly the greatest works of literature, ancient or modern, IMO, but they're at least interesting.
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    You know, thinking about it, his power might be so enormous that retaining all the elements you have in your profile might be impossible with the puny Servant containers. Not saying you should change anything, but if King Arthur was nerfed (in comparision to when she was alive) in the Saber container then I can definitely see Enmerker being nerfed as well.

Something I have been musing over since Moczo (I think) posted the Enmebaragesi profile is if it is possible for Heroic Spirits older than Gilgamesh to be inducted into the Throne of Heroes? Gilgamesh is after all the ORIGINAL, so presumebly he is the very first of the Heroic Spirits. The "Enmerkar and the Lord of Aratta" is from 2100 BC, while the "Epic of Gilgamesh" is from around 2400 BC, so in some respects he is a "younger" Heroic Spirit, even though he historically predates Gilgamesh. I do not even know where I am going with this, but basically... Gilgamesh is awesome?

Mate, that's noice as fuck! Vagrant's Avatar
    Wherever my body is, my heart is still in Straya, cunt
    Blog Entries
    Sweet, Enmerkar is awesome. I was tossing up about making him or Papa Gil, but seems to me like you've done him more justice than I could hope to. Impressed that you managed to get such details out of the legends, I tried piecing them together and didn't get too far, myself. The dualism with EA works, but it's that water that would be a killer in any actual story. He'd of course be awesome in an actual war though.

Maybe I'll just make Adapa or Alulim instead, or post my Ziusundra profile. Hrm, I have a few. New idea! Grail War where all 7 servants are SumerMesoBabylonian in origin. Gilly might feel a bit less grand in such a setting perhaps?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrikow View Post
    You know, thinking about it, his power might be so enormous that retaining all the elements you have in your profile might be impossible with the puny Servant containers. Not saying you should change anything, but if King Arthur was nerfed (in comparision to when she was alive) in the Saber container then I can definitely see Enmerker being nerfed as well.
    Mmm. It's not impossible for Heroic Spirits to be fully realised, even within the limits of a Servant container. Someone with Rin's prana level can do it for Saber, and Shirō can manage it temporarily if he uses a Command Spell. Berserkers are able to improve on their past selves. Still, you're quite probably right that this would be a bit much for a container. If it helps, think of this as an approximation of Enmerkar in life, rather than as a Servant, I suppose. (Or just go with the flow and let me have my excuses for a semi-plausibly stronger-than-Gilgamesh Servant )

Something I have been musing over since Moczo (I think) posted the Enmebaragesi profile is if it is possible for Heroic Spirits older than Gilgamesh to be inducted into the Throne of Heroes? Gilgamesh is after all the ORIGINAL, so presumebly he is the very first of the Heroic Spirits. The "Enmerkar and the Lord of Aratta" is from 2100 BC, while the "Epic of Gilgamesh" is from around 2400 BC, so in some respects he is a "younger" Heroic Spirit, even though he historically predates Gilgamesh. I do not even know where I am going with this, but basically... Gilgamesh is awesome?
    It was Daneel Rush. He's the one around here with the best knowledge of Mesopotamia - I think I ought to shoot him a VM about this, actually.

As to the dating issue:
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiki
    The earliest Sumerian [Gilgamesh] poems are now generally considered to be distinct stories rather than parts of a single epic. They date from as early as the Third Dynasty of Ur (2150-2000 BC)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiki
    Enmerkar and the Lord of Aratta is a legendary Sumerian account, of preserved, early post-Sumerian copies, composed in the Neo-Sumerian period (ca. 21st century BC)
    Hardly that far apart. As to Gilgamesh being the ORIGINAL, let's say that I'm ascribing that to a false boast on his part for the purposes of this profile.

Quote Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
    Sweet, Enmerkar is awesome. I was tossing up about making him or Papa Gil, but seems to me like you've done him more justice than I could hope to. Impressed that you managed to get such details out of the legends, I tried piecing them together and didn't get too far, myself. The dualism with EA works, but it's that water that would be a killer in any actual story. He'd of course be awesome in an actual war though.
    It was fun. I enjoy scouring legends to find incidental references that I can blow out of proportion (though the 'reduce cities to dust' bit actually forms a fairly long part of Enmerkar's boasting). Thinking I might just drop his Endurance a rank, though, just to make him a slightly viable contestant in the war as opposed to completely stomping everyone. I might as well note here (because I forgot to add it anywhere in the description) that I don't imagine Enmerkar to be particularly skilled in personal combat, so that's another of his (few) weaknesses. He has the stats to basically get away with it, though.
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

Blog Entries
    On the topic of fanwank, I really should make a Louis XIV profile. He'd be horribly broken, in the amusing kind of ways that I can think of.

JP Friend Code
    お林
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    I probably have one deep in the MPII or Wiseup! thread, but here's an effective explanation of the gist of it:

The Cult of Personality arises when a person devotes a significant amount of time creating false legends, mysteries and ideas about oneself. A simple example, relating to Napoleon and being only one of the things he did, is the depiction of him gloriously crossing the Alps on a rich and noble horse, cape waving in the wind. In reality, he crossed the Alps in miserable, driving snow on a mule. However, many of these creations of his have been accepted as truth, distorting the perspective of Napoleon even in the face of factual information.

A Cult of Personality effectively makes up for lack of age and mystery by falsely creating it and popularizing it, making it accepted truth even though it is not so. Napoleon could have said that he wrestled a bear, and then commissioned paintings and made banquets about this, to distort the truth and create a fake legend that "Napoleon once wrestled a bear and won." Though this never happened, it is made truth in his "legend" as a Heroic Spirit.

The crux of this, though, is fame: if a Heroic Spirit is not famous, then they will have no one to believe the fictional legends they're propagating, which in turn makes their attempts to create a Cult of Personality fail. An obscure Heroic Spirit cannot use Cult of Personality to achieve power; only through fame and widespread knowledge of their so-called "feats" can Cult of Personality have any major effect. This differs from actual heroic legends in that it is not people telling tales about the hero; it is the figure themselves weaving these stories, not actually doing the deeds but convincing people that they, in fact, did.

Cult of Personality is also superseded by age: the older a Heroic Spirit is, the more likely they are to have people other than them extrapolating off of their supposed story, making it so that what they made up is covered away by legends and the like, forming the basis for a more usual hero as seen in legends. Those older heroes have enough mystery that what they did is true, and they also lived in a time where such feats were possible. Napoleon, and younger heroes like him, live in a more modern era where miraculous deeds are nearly impossible in the same sense as during the Age of Gods, and thus the only way recent heroes can match is by creating a Cult of Personality. Napoleon is merely one who took it especially far, dedicating a great deal of his life to creating legends about himself. Of course, this works both ways: the myth of Napoleon's height is also part of his Cult of Personality, through sheer infamy.

To put it into numbers, and though this is not too accurate, Cult of Personality could be said to add accumulated age and mystery to a heroic spirit:

E rank, then, could be something like 100 years of age.
    D rank could be 250 years.
    C rank could be 500 years, in this example.
    B rank could be 1000 years.
    A rank could be 2000 years, and...
    A+ rank could be 3500 years. I believe Napoleon possesses A+ rank.

Of course, a Heroic Spirit who is old and also made up tales about themselves will receive less bonuses from this, since a) they already have age and mystery, and b) there's no evidence necessarily that they made these tales; often, things are attributed to them, and this is considered an attribution to their legend rather than the creation of a Cult of Personality.

Creating a Cult of Personality, though, takes a lot of work, and it's very likely that ranks below C wouldn't even exist; at that point, you'd have to have one especially famous myth about you, like Blackbeard's own cult of terror - which is, itself, diluted in part from age and him actually doing many of the things he said he was doing.

The Heroic Spirits who would have the strongest aptitude for a Cult of Personality are Louis XIV of France ("The Sun King") and Napoleon Bonaparte.
    Lies.

All dirty Western mongrel cults pale before the glory of Dear Eternal Leader Kim Il-Sung, who swam to the bottom of the sea and wrestled to death the giant crab that was ravaging the Asian coastline with tsunamis, before swimming back up and defeating the Japanese Navy imperialist scum with his bare fists.
    Last edited by mewarmo990; May 13th, 2012 at 01:49 PM.